Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Beowulf

Connor stared out of the drop ship as it blasted it's way through the sky. They were headed on a practice mission, the big wigs wanting to make sure that they could at least work together before throwing them at the enemy. Well, work together was a loose thing to work with. As long as they followed orders, got the job done, and survived was closer to the mark. And this dummy mission, to retrieve something from the ruins of some destroyed city in Africa.

But it shouldn't be to boring. Scouts reported there being a small groups of Skinks living in parts of the city. They shouldn't be anything to be afraid of, not if they were paying the slightest bit of attention during training. But that was just if they were by themselves. A group of Skinks was something else entirely. They'd need to fight together to beat a group of Skinks. Fight, not work. It was a lot easier to shoot at something then to swallow your pride and do what a superior tells you to do. And the funny part was, he's the superior.

After a short while, the drop ship came to a hover in a plaza of some sort before landing. "GO GO GO!" shouted the pilot over the noise of the engines. "GET THE HELL OFF MY SHIP!" he shouted in a more joking manner. And when the last person stepped off the drop ship, it took off and flew away, engines roaring as it went.

Turning to face the group, Connor says "You know what we're here for. We have to retrieve a radio transmitter to prove that we can get stuff done. Skinks are everywhere in this city. If we're lucky they'll be to busy fighting each other to notice us. Maps out. Intelligence tells us that the transmitter is here," he said, marking the third floor of a ten story building with a red dot on the holographic map that was shared between the squad. "And here are the Skinks. There's at least four confirmed Skink 'factions'. Marking them now." He marked several blocks with blue, red, orange, and yellow. "And would you look at that, they just happen to surround where we need to go. Well, let's get going. I want to be back before dinner." And with that, Connor closed the map and began making his way towards the objective, his movements enhanced by the Armor.

Andre gave a small sigh as he stepped off the ship, and adjusted the cannon he was carrying. Smiling a bit, he looked back at the ship as it left, "I hate you American soldiers sometimes. Not your ship, it's the Military's. Just like us now, we are property. Granted all soldiers are property." The tall German remarked, as he started to walk, after glancing at the map. He didn't have much respect for the youngest officer, he was a man just five years away from 50, and had been in the military since he was around 20 years of age. So the man knew just about everything there was to know. "Just hustle up, and lets get the damn thing. No point to stand around staring at a map. Heavy crusaders up front, snipers hang back, the rest of you stay between the two." Andre almost ordered, but he spoke with just enough care free in his voice, to also make it sound somewhat like a suggestion. The man was already a giant without his armor, however in it, he looked huge, it was hard to really question him.

Sabrina was more prone to listen to Andre, however she also normally behaved as a sniper should. She was quick to look for solid cover, with a nice vantage point. Looking for a building that wasn't destroyed, "Connor, permission to post up in a building?" She asked, as she pulled the bolt back on her massive rifle, and chambered the first round she would fire. "No point standing out here in the open as a sniper. I'm sure there's plenty overlooking our objective." She explained, more prone to wait for orders from the actual commander due to being a younger soldier.

Evlyn still wasn't too familiar with the world outside of her village, she was entirely awestruck by the flying machine that carried them to their destination. She wanted to bug the pilot about how it could actually fly like the birds, but she advised herself against it not wanting to distract the person controlling the contraption. When they had arrived, the pilots joking manner flew over her head, and she took it quiet literally and sped off the ship as fast as she could. Certainly upsetting the person who controlled their almost magical transport would be a bad idea.

Evlyn's role was that of a scout. She was supposed to go ahead, and stick to the shadows making sure there weren't any new surprises that weren't included in their intel. However the one who was called Andre, though she often just referred to her elders as 'Mister'(or 'Miss') out of respect, had told her to stay in between the heavy infantry and the snipers. She didn't feel this to be very strategical, as she would have difficulties employing any of her tricks if everyone was so close to her. Then again, he was older, and while he might not be one of the strategists of her village, she was sure he would have some form of reason for this odd formation, and followed along silently where she was told to.

When Yuliya stepped off the plan her first reaction was to stretch and observe her surroundings. They were supposed to be here to get an item, more specifically a radio transmitter. This was actually pretty disappointing. She wanted to hit things, and maybe break some of the enemies stuff. They weren't couriers, they were expensive soldiers with weapons meant for the Asrai. So why were they out here fetching a transmitter? So the brass could determine how well they work as a team? It made sense on paper, but there's no better way to learn to work together than fighting together, a mission to fetch an object isn't the way to do it.

Unfortunately fighting the brass wasn't something Yuliya could do, well, she technically could, but she was pretty sure she wouldn't get paid if she started a fight with people that high up. In light of this, she followed along, grumbling to herself along the way. The old guy spouting orders didn't help her mood any. She was half tempted to take her anger out on him, but he at least wanted her on the front lines. Her thoughts of rage directed towards the colored dots on the map. There were skinks in the area, so perhaps she would get lucky and they would run into one she could release her rage upon.​

Angela was quick to clear off the transport, moving away from the others in an effort to form a bit of a secure perimeter, just in case they'd been noticed. The drop was far enough out that they weren't deploying under fire, at least. And from their briefing, this whole thing was something of a live combat test. Go in, get the thing, get out. Shoot up some of the local Lizards on the way, and make them wonder why the hell anyone was bothering with it all. She, for one, wondered how they'd gotten the transmitter out in the middle of the ruined city in the first place.

The colored markers painting her HUD made things a little clearer. "Four factions squabbling over this little ruin," she asked. "Well, one man's trash..." She hefted her weapons and began to move out with the others, skimming along the ground much faster than one would be able to go without an Armor. At Andre's suggestion, she pulled out to one side, to keep an eye on their flanks. Staying in the middle ground of the battle line suited her just fine, she was quick enough to help put out fires if they cropped up elsewhere, and wasn't going to peel off far enough to be left alone.

If she knew the squad better, she'd wonder if the plan was to try and roll through the enemy with heavy Armor, as it was, even the Armor itself was too experimental to know just how well they could go on shock and awe alone. Keeping pace with the slower members of the team, with snipers on long range support and the lighter units less likely to be spotted first did seem solid enough. "Here's hoping we can surprise them. I say we try to hit only one of the groups, and hope it'll take too long for them all to get organized to buy some time."

Daniel 4:15
Nevertheless leave the stump of his roots in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth

When the approaching ship drew near its destination, an internal monolog began reading off from what he put together for the day. It wasn't particularly long, and Billy didn't try to bring any attention to himself. This was supposed to be testing out how well they worked together, but the farmboy didn't put much stock in such an un unified group. And they didn't have much reason to work together. Sure they were on the same side, but that's not the same as being a team. Though, to be honest, he wasn't sure this team was worth it. Come together or die.

When they all got off the ship, and watched it speed away, the older one of the group had already started flapping his gums as if he farted heroism and had his war medals hanging off his pierced nipples. Oh, a German soldier hating something and acting like people are property. How original. Should we just start the mission, or should we just call the ship back to transport us to your lovely camp now? But he said American, when Billy had not even said two words to the old man. Good start.

He didn't move, when the old dog kept barking. It was, in fact, his attempt to steal the reigns and throw his size around that pushed the young man to not really give a shit what he was saying. Staying behind their actual commanding officer, who likely had their own plan in mind, he readied his little bunker buster.

"Sir, permission to lay down fire on the enemy building to bring them down for a clearer path?"

"Negative. But Tiger has the right idea. Heavy Armors, take the front. Mediums will take the side, and right in the middle will be Priest. Eve, go scout ahead of us and if Panther finds a building she likes make sure its clear for her. I want to attract as little attention as possible. We're going to be going right along the border of the territory of two factions, so keep it high and tight. We got some expensive equipment, I'd like to keep damages to a minimum. But if shit hits the fan then I'll settle for surviving."

As he spoke, Connor got into position. He eyed the large German, feeling that he would be someone to watch out for. He'd probably be the one trying to take command away from Connor. At least he'd put his money on it. And once everyone was in formation, he said to the group of heavy, medium, and destroyer class armors. "We move as fast as our slowest person. You should know this by now but it doesn't hurt to make sure. Eve and Panther, you have free reign but try to stay close, I don't want you getting singled out. Now let's get going."

And so the formation started off, keeping pace with the SMK frame who happened to be the slowest, though the Tiger was almost slower. Meanwhile the Recon, Sniper duo went from building to building, first making sure it wasn't inhabited by any Skinks. The journey remained rather uneventful for a majority of the mission. Until about half way to their objective. It wasn't much, just some rubble settling a bit more and adjusting. A keen eye, however, might have been able to spot the tail that withdrew into the building.

Andre looked over at Connor, "Sir, do me a favor and call me Andre, or refer to me by rank. I'm not just based off any tiger...but the wonderful machine that was the King Tiger. I hold great pride in the machine, but I would do well to not be called by it, for that is too great of an honor." The man explained, as he kept moving in his rather bulky armor. He wasn't built to stand up to beatings as well at the super heavy armors, however what he lost in protection, he made up for it with a very, very scary gun. It was perhaps the largest heavy tank gun ever employed by Germany, and perhaps one of the deadliest in the world back in 1945. However even know, with modern upgrades, and increased shell velocity, it only further improved. "None the less, trust me Connor, I know what I'm doing. I've lead more teams, and missions, than you'll ever be able to do. I only lack medals to show, because we special forces units, don't even exist." He remarked with a wink.

Sabrina began to ascend a building, ignoring the rest of her group. She hated low ground, and moved quickly to get upstairs, or even onto the roof of the tallest building overlooking the group. Once They had left, she would likely follow, to go find another building. However she had at least a mile or two worth of waiting, as she found a comfortable window, where she could set her rifle up, and over watch the entire party. Speaking over radio, she told her other squad members the situation, "I have this building secured. I can watch you all move for the next two miles or so, if you travel in a fairly straight path. Be warned if you have to veer off, other buildings may be in my way, or I may have to change positions, meaning you'll have a little bit of time without fire support."

"All right, then." Angela nodded and kept pace, sticking to the middle of the group. She didn't really care who as in charge, as long as there was a clear chain of command and they weren't a complete idiot. The big men could argue all they want about who had the bigger service record.

Not running ahead of the slower, heavier units just made good sense. Partway through their advance, once they were quite inside the ruins proper, Angela noticed something in one of the nearby buildings. Probably nothing, but worth calling in anyway. "Hey, probably nothing, but some of the rubble over here just shifted around," she reported over the comms. She'd missed any indication it was anything but a natural occurrence, though. And so far, no evidence of actual hostiles, though she did keep her eyes and ears as open as she could.

Status
Not open for further replies.