The Girl, the Yokai, and the Promise

Yukina huffed at him saying that he was going to make her cake and celebrate her birthday properly. It had been a long time since she had a birthday party, or a celebration in anyway. Her mother never really made time for her after the divorce for her and she never had that many friends who wanted to celebrate with her. "You don't have to do tha-HEY!" She yelped when he picked her up. She squirmed, grabbing at her skirt, trying to keep herself cover. "What are you doing? Why are you picking me you? Stop it! Stop it right now!" she said, her face now completely red. Once she felt her skirt was good, she wrapped her arms around his neck to try and stabilize. She looked at him with a frown, "Why are you doing this? What is the point?" she said pouted a little. This wasn't the first time he had done this to her and she knew for as long as she knew him, it wasn't going to be the last......

Yukina's sudden yelp caused Kazuma to start laughing with glee as she fumbled to fix her skirt and let his laughter roll out. If this was the reaction she was always going to have, he was going to pick her up more often then. Even though she huffed about the birthday and about him throwing a party he was still going to no matter what. A birthday was meant to be celebrated and especially since it was the day Yukina would officially be considered a young adult, that was worth celebrating and he could shower her with gifts to make up for the birthdays he had missed. Leaning his face forward, the wolf would stop when their noses were only a mere few centimeters apart after he noticed how red her face as gotten. "What, you don't like it? Though you're telling me to stop, your blush is telling me something else." He stated, looking into her eyes with a small, loving, smile. "Also your blushing face is something I've only seen and few times and it's always so cute." Kazuma then added, moving so their noses now touched and he smirked. "Well, you can't blame a guy if he wants to pick up a cute girl, and since you seemed to enjoy being in my lap, I thought holding you like a princess was the next best thing since I'm not seated. Is it so bad for me to treat you like a princess sometimes?"

Yukina held her breath as he got closer. The heat from his splashed on her face, causing her already raising temperature. Her eye glanced down to his lips and back up to his eyes. No, Yukina, if you did that, it would be even more confusing then it already is. She was practically radiating heat when his nose touched hers. Why did he do this to her? Why did it give him such joy to put her in situations like this? When was it going to be his turn? She swallowed and let go of her breath, glancing away. "Go to Hell, Kazuma. Just because can doesn't you should." she said, "And don't call me cute. I don't like it...."

Kazuma's body tensed slightly when Yukina said that to him, to a yokai, that was a great sigh of hate and also an insult. He didn't even notice that her eyes had moved to his lips before returning back to his. Taking a quick, almost shaky, breath the young wolf pulled his face away and nodded. "Alright, I'll remember that then. I'll keep my hands to myself and won't call you cute." Kazuma stated, moving his arm so Yukina was once again on her feet and pulled away from her; keeping a decent amount of distance between them as he averted his gaze. "I..uh...think it's time for me to leave..and scout around the block." He walked over to the couch and picked up his jacket that was lying on the floor. "Thanks for the food."

Yukina scrunch her face in confusion when he got tense when she told him to go to Hell. She didn't mean it as an major insult. Maybe a little, but more in a joking matter. "O-okay" she said, standing on her own. She watched him as he went to go get his jacket. What the hell did she say? At one moment, he is all lovey dovey and now he won't look her in the eye. Maybe, she was a bit harsh. She didn't think she was. She crossed her arms and hugged herself as he got ready to leave. She wanted to say something, but wasn't sure how to fix it. She stammered out a couple of uhs and ums, before saying, "I forgot I still had your jacket after that time at the café. If you want it back it's hanging by the door." She cursed at herself mentally. Out of all the things she could say, that was what she could come up with. She really needed to work on her people skills........

Picking up the jacket that was lying on the floor, it turned into a briefcase for a moment before it then suddenly disappeared and a small breeze rolled across the room. Seeing that he now had everything he needed expect for the jacket, he glanced over at her and nodded before turning his attention to the door and the coat rack. Walking over, he pulled his jacket off and looked it over, detecting the slight scent of blood his nose flared briefly and scrunched up before he put it on. After fixing his collar, Kazuma walked over to Yukina and looked at her while trying his best to give her a cheerful grin. "I'll make sure not to go too far..in case you need me. Okay?" After raising a hand and patting her head momentarily, he then leaned forward and placed a soft kiss on her forehead before taking a few steps back. "If you need me, you have that necklace." Kazuma turned away from her and walked over to the door, opening it, he looked back at her with his best smile before closing it behind him and walked down the hall towards the stairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yukina just nodded, when he said he wouldn't be far. She had no idea he was sleeping on the streets. If she knew, she would probably offer him a place on her couch, but at last, she did not. When he kissed her head, she didn't flinch. She just let the kiss warmer her. She followed him to the door, looking down on the ground. "Thanks again........Kazuma...." she said with a sigh, and he was out the door. She put a hand on the door when it closed. She let out a sigh and pressed her forehead on the door. "God, I am terrible at this." she muttered to herself. She turned back and slid down the door to sit. She wish this wasn't so complicated. Granted, she was the one making it complicated. She knew that she could just let him into her heart, everything would be fine. But her logic told her not too. She had always lead her life using logic, and she didn't want to change that now. She let out another sigh, "Sometimes, I am really hate myself." she said, standing up. She had some extra time before she needed to go to bed, since she didn't go to work today. She picked up her bag and headed into her room. Quickly changing out of her uniform into some pjs, she pulled out her homework to work on. She had a bit of a hard time concentrating on the packet that Kazuma handed out. She forgot to tell him that he looked good in a suit. She also forgot to tell him to go a little easier on the other students. Many of the them were tired and worn out from studying entrance exams. They only had a few weeks left anyways. Soon, Yukina gave up working on the packet. Stretching, she stood up and went over to her bed. Maybe tomorrow, she could talk to him again. She hoped that he wasn't still mad at her. She settled in to bed and tried to go to sleep. It was a little difficult, but soon she managed to slip into slumber.......

Kazuma exited Yukina's apartment, stuffing both hands into his pockets and glanced around before turning right on the sidewalk. He'd likely go about a block and sniff out any yokai that were either passing by or that were hunting her, then he'd decide what to do after beating them. Though he hated it, death may be the best solution for a situation like this, then it would take longer for her location to be spread and it would also limit the information they would have on him too. It would be easy to tell another yokai was roaming the streets but then they wouldn't be sure if it was Kazuma or a different one killing off competitors while awaiting the girl's birthday. The longer he could keep them somewhat guessing was more time he could buy in order to figure out something for Yuki. Maybe sending out a few scouts and ambassadors to other clans and territories would be a wise idea so he could find more allies and also keep an eye on what other clans were doing and if they were moving in this direction. A war was definitely not needed right now, especially in a populated city like this where innocent people would get caught up into the mix, as one of the few yokais who protected humans that was not something he was going to allow to happen at all. Kazuma would crush any enemy that got in his way whether they be yokai, holy, or even a deity in order to keep the woman he loved safe and able to live a somewhat normal and fictional life. "I owe at least that to her since it seems she's adamant about keeping me out." After making his round all around the block and even going a little further out, he once again pulled the glamor so he was once again invisible to the human eye as he arrived at the alley beside her apartment and shifted into a wolf before padding in. Taking a few steps in, he turned to face the mouth and lowered himself down; resting his head atop his paws. Sleep came easy to him but what he didn't know was if Yukina happened to glance towards the alley, his canine head would easily be in her sights.

Yukina's dreams were filled with nightmares again. This time she woke up with a start, her body wet from sweat. She moved sluggishly this morning, making her way to the bathroom to start her morning routine. She was like this sometimes. It happened usually after big fight with her mother. This time it was just an overall bad evening. Kazuma was mad at her, the yokai that attacked her was still out there. She let out a sigh as she finished her shower and started in to pack up to leave for school. She didn't feeling like cooking today. She would just pick something up at the food shop near the school before heading in. She lazed about her house a bit, laying on her couch with her bow half tied. Maybe she should go to school today. She wasn't feeling very well anyways, and she wasn't fully ready to face Kazuma yet. Sadly, she had to or not only would Kazuma be mad at her but she would get and earful from her mother. She let out sigh and got up, finishing tying her bow and pulling up her socks. She stumbled out other apartment, yawning a little. Maybe she could catch some sleep during class. If Kazuma would let her....

Kazuma had another dream with his brothers and father, but he couldn't hear a thing they were saying. Which made him utterly confused and woke up with a frown, immediately forgetting the reason he was frowning and the dream itself. Yawning, he rose himself up and stretched before turning his head to look up at the window he knew was Yukina's room. Hopefully she slept alright, it seemed everything was okay since she didn't chase after or try and call him. Reverting back to his human form, Kazuma combed a hand through his hair as he took a step out of the alley then turned left to do another patrol of the area. With what happened yesterday still fresh in his mind, the yokai could no longer fool around, every morning and night, he would have to do a quick patrol of the block before continuing on with his schedule. While walking, the assessments appeared and he stated to look them over as he walked, brows furrowing slightly as he quickly read through each one until he reached the last one; Yukina's. Was she angry at him for what he had done while in her home, hopefully she had gotten over with it. After making his rounds, the wolf arrived at the apartment just as Yukina stumbled out and Kazuma let out a light chuckle as the papers disappeared while he went to walk beside her. Gently pressing his side against hers to keep her going straight the wolf looked at her, "Still sleepy?" He asked, smiling softly.

Yukina didn't flinch this time when Kazuma came up along next to her. She knew he would been there eventually. Plus, she was just too tired to react. She let out a sigh. "Yeah...." she said, not looking up at him, "I haven't slept a decent night since Saturday." She rubbed her eyes and slumped over a little. "I wish I could sleep all day, but I would get a lot of crap for it and I don't want to deal with that....." She glanced up to look at him. "How about you? Been sleeping well?" she asked, adjusting her bag. A thought came to her. Kazuma said he was clan leader. How did he get that way? From what he told her last night, his father was the clan leader before him. Where was he? Was he back a home helping take care of the clan while Kazuma watched over her. She didn't want to ask, because she was afraid she would be intruding into something personal.....

At least this time he wasn't getting snapped at for appearing, and it seemed Yukina wasn't mad at him. That was a good sign that their friendship hadn't decreased like he thought it had. "Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. It's likely from the stress of learning about yokai and seeing me." Kazuma told her, looking over at a stand before back to her. "More than likely, you humans seem really keen on education and take it seriously. Yokai learn whenever they want to." He explained, glancing at the people they passed though he knew they couldn't see him. Suddenly, Kaz's attire would change into another black suit with a dark blue tie, with his glasses resting in a breast pocket and his briefcase in his left hand. "Me? I've been sleeping alright, so I have no complaints." It wasn't exactly the truth nor was it a lie either, he was sleeping and he didn't feel tired after waking up. Though his resting place was no the cleanest or most healthy.

Slowly, a voice almost like a hiss would whisper into Yukina's ear as if the wind itself was talking to her. 'Master is sleeping in the alley next to your dwelling, keeping watch for your safety the past few days.'

Her face became a little pink when he transformed into his suit. He looked really good in it. She had always like men is suits. You could almost call it a fetish. She didn't want to tell him that he looked good in fear of getting his hopes up. So she stayed silent......

Yukina stopped when the voice spoke to her. At first, panic settled in. Last time she heard a voice whispering in her ear, a yokai attacked her. Then, she processed what the voice said to her. 'Master?' Who was Master? Why were they sleeping in her ally next to her house? Who would be watching......oh. She looked up at Kazuma. Has he been sleeping in her ally to watch over her the past few days? Is there where he has been staying? She blinked a few times before speaking. "Have you.....been sleeping in my ally so you can keep an eye on me?"

Kazuma fixed his tie with one hand, grumbling about wishing the bloody things had never been invented until he had it to his liking and dropped the hand. Also, luckily, he had an idea planned out for the class so they could finally start their lesson, of course once they picked what they wanted to start doing. It seemed three species were in the top lead, Onis, Kitsunes, and Okamis, so he'd see what they all decided to start with first. Then they would have another reason to stay focus on class and their studies but hearing Yukina's voice brought him away from this thoughts and he blinked at her in surprised. His body tensing slightly and he had a surprised look before turning his direction back to their path while clearing his throat. "No..I have not been sleeping in your alley." It was easy to tell it was a lie but he didn't want her to feel bad.

Yukina squinted her eyes as she tried to read his reaction. He was hiding something. He was lying to her and she didn't know why. He would tell her if he was sleeping in her ally....right? She let out a little sigh. "Okay, fine if you say so......" she said, continuing her walk. She had wondered where he was staying since the whole things started, making this the perfect time to ask. "So where have you been staying? I figured you would stay closer to where I lived, so you could be there if anything happened....." she asked. If he asked, she would probably let him stay there. Heck if she caught him sleeping outside, she would have to insist he would stay. If he is going to protect her, he should at least be comfortable.......

Of course he was going to lie, Yukina's life and safety was more of a concern then whether Kazuma was comfortable. The wolf would sleep in the alley without any complaints, hell, he even slept in dreary and water logged caves from time to time. What was a man made alley going to do to him? "I do." Kaz replied, hoping they would soon leave this topic and move to a different one. Then his jaw clenched slightly, shit, he had not expected her to ask something like that because he thought she wouldn't have been curious. "Just a few buildings down from your apartment, enough to be nearby incase you need me but also far enough away for you to have your space." He grinned, trying to distract her with his happy look and possibly fluster her with it too. Maybe he needed to act a bit flirty with her?

Once again, the voice piped up in her head. 'Master lie again, master value safety of you over good dwelling for him. Master not have good dwelling on street.'

Yukina nodded along with Kazuma's answer. Of course, he would be staying somewhere. Kazuma is no idiot. She had every reason to believe he was telling the truth. Why would he lie about something like that. But then the voice whispered in her ear again. It told her he was lying. She stopped again and looked around. There was no one besides her and Kazuma. It started to worry her. Was this some new weird angle the yokai from yesterday was trying to pull? What was this voice trying to pull? She wasn't going to tell Kazuma about it, because it didn't seem as harmful as the one before. But now this was starting to worry her. "Did you hear that?" she said, looking back him with a little fear in her eyes......

Kazuma was glad she was believing him, he hated to think of what she would do if she found out the truth. Just the thought of it made Kazuma shudder lightly, Yukina would be none too pleased. When she stopped he did too and had a curious look while watching her. Was it a wise idea for her to be stopping like this while heading to school, it was causing him to start to worry now. Was something up with her or had she figured out he was lying, uh-oh, he made sure he was ready at the first sign of anger to jog away. "Hear what?" Kazuma questioned her, seeing the fear in her eyes and took a step closer gently taking her hand with his free one. Then gave it a reassuring squeeze and glanced around, as he did, something would brush against Yukina's face before the wolf looked back at her then raisaed her hand, kissing each finger in an attempt to get her to focus on something else of panicking.

'You feel touch you face, it was us. We master's wind, must not tell master what we doing, master be very angry. Master want you be safe but we want master in good dwelling. Make master tell truth to you, you power over master. Master love you.'

"I don't know. I just....." she said, but the wind touching her face stopped her. Her hand flew up to touch where it touched and quickly turn, let Kazuma still have a hold on her hand. She listen to it, her panic dying down. She knew the Kazuma controlled the wind but was it sentient? She looked around again see there was no one there. She looked back up at him and thought about it. Well, it did seem he was lying to her about something. If the winds are telling the truth, then he really was sleeping in her ally. Thinking about it more, all the buildings on her street were either used office buildings, businesses, or houses. "Where exactly are you staying?" she said, looking at him accusingly.

He arched a brow but seeing her raise a hand to touch her face, his jaw slowly clenched. It was them wasn't it, they were likely talking to Yukina now without him knowing. 'Uh-oh master notice. We leave now, master tell truth now. No be mad at master, master care about you.' With that, somethign soft brushed against her arm before the voice and presence disappeared and a breeze swept through. Damn, he should have realized what was going on, if eh had then it was likely he could have sent them away before they had a chance to speak to Yukina and tell her. When she asked him and the wolf saw her look, he frowned slightly and sighed while looking at his hand that was holding hers. "In an alley..dogs sleep there so I don't see why it's a problem."