The Game of Thrones Season 7 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watching some GoT videos on the main channel.
It's sad scrolling to the comments, seeing critiques of the show and the only defence being "It's Fantasy".

Like... Game of Thrones has always had an internal logic to it. There are magical elements, yes, but they follow rules, and everything the characters did were rationale given the circumstances. And if it wasn't, that character was quickly killed off as a result. Now, that's not say I'm one of these neighsayers with a hate boner going "The show is shit! It's been ruined! Blah blah". But there are a couple of plot holes starting to pop up that I feel should be critically examined.

There's the two I mentioned above about the Night Walkers aiming for the wrong Dragon and the A-Team having a bit too much plot armour, but there's a smaller bit as well.

1. Benjen's sudden death. I don't think it's odd when he's shown up, he's been fighting the walkers. It makes sense he'd catch wind of this. More my issue is the sacrifice, why couldn't he just have Jon get on the horse and they both ride off? Why did he have to get off it? Extra speed maybe? But Viserion wasn't up yet, nothing the walkers had could of caught up regardless.

Then there's critiques I've been seeing elsewhere, which I don't feel actually hold much weight to them and am I going to attempt to refute down below.

1. The fact Dany was even able to show up in time. I actually don't think this is much of an issue, cause it seems more like an Elon incident (speaking of which, where the hell is he?). Where it seems a little silly at first, but once you think about it and map it out it adds up. Gendry was on his own allowing him to move faster, and really just have to take the most direct and travelled path, which would of been much faster than the group took wandering about all together. Plus, once at the wall, ravens can fly, that's significantly faster than most land travel would be. And once the message was received the Dragons are faster still. Add all that up combined with the group having been on a hold out with the Walkers for about a week (safe to assume they packed food), then I can totally see Dany making it in time.

2. The Walkers should not of had those chains. Remember that they basically have the entireity of the kingdom beyond the wall now, everything the wildlings own they own. It's safe to assume they have access to some chains, especially if they plan to siege the wall at some point. The only real issue I can see is how they got the chains under water and attached to Viserion when the Wights can't swim. My best guess is they had one of the main Walkers do it, or any number of the walker animals.

Speaking of which, I'm hoping that Season 8 delves more into the history of the White Walkers. I seriously want to know what's up with them.

Wonder if it's before or after she kill Littlefinger. I'm eagerly awaiting that too.

After, probably after.
Sansa has the hurdle of she's still flesh and blood.

Note on the earlier "They aimed for the wrong Dragon" critique.
I got pointed out to me that from the Night Kings perspective it could of been a matter of "Hit the Dragon sitting still for the moment, or the one slaughtering my men". Which from that context makes more sense.

aEBpQdM_700b.jpg

• Love
Reactions: ᴛᴏᴄᴋᴀ
omg I stumbled upon this and it's just fantastic!

Contains spoilers of course and explicit language

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: Greenie
And then I remembered that....I've barely remembered much of anything.

Like:
rNIfKDQ.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
And then I remembered that....I've barely remembered much of anything.

This probably contributed to the "who can be bothered to remember all these characters?" syndrome the show used to have.
People keep thinking one character was two different ones.

Reactions: ObsidianNyx
This probably contributed to the "who can be bothered to remember all these characters?" syndrome the show used to have.
People keep thinking one character was two different ones.
Very true. The only ones I noticed/recalled were Daario and somewhat the Mountain. Vaguely remember the first actor, but like you said ended up thinking he played another role entirely.

Had zero clue there had even been a second actor before they ulimately settled on our current hulk of man.

Very true. The only ones I noticed/recalled were Daario and somewhat the Mountain. Vaguely remember the first actor, but like you said ended up thinking he played another role entirely.

Had zero clue there had even been a second actor before they ulimately settled on our current hulk of man.

Yeaaah, the second actor looked nothing like the Mountain.
That being said, we barely saw the first Mountain anyways.

We all knew this, but Tyrion is the motherfucking man. He has grown in leaps and bounds. My mom and I were clutching our pearls during the red keep scene. Cersei had me for a second, but I should have known better. Cant wait for her to die.

She is the saltiest bitch in existence.
Coming so close to killing even Jamie.
The last piece of family in her corner and "only love".

Have never cared for Sansa, but..dayuuumm!
Switching it up on Littlefinger was fucking amazing! Oh my goodness!
He really thought Arya was about to get the business. NOPE.
Finally he's dead. A long time coming.

Theon growing a pair of 'balls'
despite not having any, was a treat as well.

Also, I was surprised to see that the Hound knew that was his brother.
But then again who else is that huge?
Wait...does he even know he's actually dead?
He was traveling with Arya then I believe.

And soo happy Sam actually heard the info about the Targaryen marriage!
They made it seem like he had perhaps not heard her mention that part of the journal.
Either way that rumor about Rhaegar was false.

Activating The Blue Eyes White Dragon trap card made me sad.
But did it have blue flames or actual ice?

Goddamn this series is amazing..
The acting, cgi, drama, plot...

Wtf will I watch on Sundays after it finally ends?

Last edited:
OMFG! OMG! OMG! I don't know what else to say but....OMFG!

Seriously, I'm emotionally drained at the moment by that ending. No, I refuse to believe......nope, not even going to put it into words.

me for 100% of the episode

OHHHH MYYYYY GODDDDDDDD

trrfd.gif

Reactions: Snowball
AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Alright, one critique to make before I go into praising all the awesome.

I feel like Jaime should of died there with how much Cersei is snapping. But then again, that would leave her rather one dimensional so I can understand the decision.

ANYWAYS! Onto the rest!

1. Little Finger finally got out maneuvered. He underestimated Sansa, he underestimated Stark bonds/loyalty, and (I feel most importantly) as clever as he is, he cannot compete against a three eyed raven (I almost typed blue eyed raven, har!).
2. The Dragon question has been answered. Fire, it breathes blue fire.
3. I don't think Benric and Tormod are dead. GoT has a rule where a death needs to be seen. We never saw the Hound die, hence he was found to be living. We never saw Benjen die, hence we got... kinda dead Benjen. We never saw Tormod or Benric die, so they were likely at that piece of the wall not crumbled.
4. Ice King was silly about how he burned the wall though. He can fly with that dragon! Burn the wall from the other side, where you can roast more men while you're doing it!
5. Also, the dragon is far faster than the horde. Stay behind a bit, clean up all the fleeing wildlings and nights watch then catch up.
6. Jon X Dany happened. Having it happen at the SAME TIME of Bran and Samwell telling us their related though? With uplifting music? That was odd. Is this what people count as wincest?
7. My original reaction to Elon fleeing the meeting was "Oh come on!". Glad to hear it actually had a purpose.
8. BUT THIS ALSO MEANS VISERION DIED FOR NOTHING!!! The whole point of that trip was to get a truce, and now that truce has not only been weaponized by Cersei, has not only made Dany lose a dragon, but GAVE the white walkers a dragon! That mission was a complete failure!
9. As if the White Walkers weren't enough, they now got to worry about Cersei as well. >.< I'm hoping this goes in the "bitter ending" for GoT rather than them find a dues machina happy ending.
10. Also fuck Cersei is picking up from her Tywin. Like, she's no Tywin by a long shot. But she's learned a lot more from him than I would of given her credit for.
11. Though her sparring Jaime will also give Dany and Jon valuable intel that the truce was a ruse and that there's Golden Cloaks coming.
12. ALSO FUCKING DAMMIT CERSEI, JAIME DID NOT BETRAY YOU! She knows damn well that meeting with Tyrion was done WITHOUT Jaime's knowledge. Why does she hold that over him? Especially when he came to her right after? The only reason I can think of is that she does realise that, but she's weaponizing it regardless as a tool... Dammit Tywin.
13. Brienne of Tarth being sent off to Kings Landing makes more sense now though. Tricked Little Finger, and guaranteed less interference with the plot with Brienne misunderstanding the situation.
14. Theons attempt to save his Sister is admirable. But if he plans to take on Elon + Golden Cloaks by himself? He's fucked.
15. Also, does Rhaegar look a bit too much like Viserys? Like, it makes sense. But I was hoping for it to be closer to this:

320px-Rhaegar_twoiaf.jpg

Also, I was surprised to see that the Hound knew that was his brother.
But then again who else is that huge?
Wait...does he even know he's actually dead?
He was traveling with Arya then I believe.

His body stature is rather hard to miss. And there's no reason for the Hound to assume he wasn't still guarding Cersei.

As for being taken back by him being undead. He fought walkers, so dead things moving isn't foreign to him anymore.

6. Jon X Dany happened. Having it happen at the SAME TIME of Bran and Samwell telling us they're related though? With uplifting music? That was odd. Is this what people count as wincest?

I'm not a huge Jon x Dany shipper, so for me, the whole scene was just weird, even more so with Bran's voice narrating in the background. But like I said to my husband, we lost one incest couple, naturally, it had to be replaced. I guess Aunt x Niece is better than Brother x Sister? I dunno.

I'm going to start with my favorite part, and that was Littlefinger finally getting what he deserves! I knew the minute Arya was brought in and she still had her sword what was going down. Of course, knew there was a chance that it could have been oversight or they were setting it up for her to fight her way out of the room, but Sansa knows what Arya is, and she would have told the guards to disarm her first. When she started listing all the crimes though, the minute she said treason I knew there was no possible way she could have been talking about Arya.

Next, Jamie finally walking out on Cersei. All I can say is; what the hell took him so damn long? For a minute I really thought that she was going to have the Mountain kill him. Really, that was coming. She got what she wanted from him, he served his purpose. Tyrion and the fact that Jamie always manages to forgive him was always going to be an issue between them no matter what. And honestly, I think aside from her children, Cersei is incapable of loving anyone.

Can I just say I'm glad that Theon grew a pair? I don't think he's completely over his PSTD stuff, but I think that fight was the start, and as long as he holds onto just a little bit of that bravery, he might actually stand a chance. However, I see him sacrificing himself in order to save Yara.

Was anyone else hoping that damn wight tore into Cersei's throat? I was so disappointed when the Hound yanked it back before it could kill her.

I refuse to talk about the ending. Seriously, I spent the last few minutes slapping my husband's arm, yelling at the TV and swearing that if they killed off Tormund I would never watch the show again. I could give a damn about the massive undead army or the ice breathing dragon, or whatever the hell that was. They better not kill off Tormund!

Enjoyed Cersei's writing.

@Nydanna Tormund lives!!!! (maybe)

Also I might be literally 12 or something but the Theon gag was hysterical.

Edit: also, Littlefinger probably hasn't gotten as much of a spotlight as he deserved over the past few seasons, but by god Aiden (Aidan?) Gillen was so good there.

Reactions: Applo
There's a lot of hype stuff I could babble about, but I'm on my phone so I'll keep it short.

RIP Littlefinger. He was one of my favorite villains of Game of Thrones (and just in general tbh), subtle and scheming rather than being eccentric and violent like most others. It took a fucking powerhouse team to finally end him: the woman he groomed as his sort of apprentice and wanted as his wife, an assassin girl with literal magic abilities, and a boy who can just cheat and look at any event in the past to get information. It was an unwinnable fight, but he tried every weapon in his arsenal of manipulation. It looked like he was trying to talk his way out of it even after having his throat slit. He tried, but there is no way to lie your way out of things when you're up against someone who can go look up the truth on a whim. He rocked the kingdom with his schemes, and as said in the show he was the root cause of Ned Stark going south and thus all the strife that caused, but there's no beating magic spy powers.

GG Lord Baelish. I will miss your smirky douche face and your creepy attraction to your childhood sweetheart's daughter. RIP.

I'm not a huge Jon x Dany shipper, so for me, the whole scene was just weird, even more so with Bran's voice narrating in the background. But like I said to my husband, we lost one incest couple, naturally, it had to be replaced. I guess Aunt x Niece is better than Brother x Sister? I dunno.

Once you enter the incest territory I don't think there's really much in what's better of worse.

I'm going to start with my favorite part, and that was Littlefinger finally getting what he deserves! I knew the minute Arya was brought in and she still had her sword what was going down. Of course, knew there was a chance that it could have been oversight or they were setting it up for her to fight her way out of the room, but Sansa knows what Arya is, and she would have told the guards to disarm her first. When she started listing all the crimes though, the minute she said treason I knew there was no possible way she could have been talking about Arya.

If it were meant for Arya she wouldn't let herself get disarmed. She'd kill the fewer guards at the disarming process, and flee to the shadows to strike vengeance on Sansa later.

Was anyone else hoping that damn wight tore into Cersei's throat? I was so disappointed when the Hound yanked it back before it could kill her.

That would of caused a slaughter for killing the queen. :P

I refuse to talk about the ending. Seriously, I spent the last few minutes slapping my husband's arm, yelling at the TV and swearing that if they killed off Tormund I would never watch the show again. I could give a damn about the massive undead army or the ice breathing dragon, or whatever the hell that was. They better not kill off Tormund!

If he was dead they would show it. I'm pretty sure he's fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.