The Experiment *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darren shook his head. "No, dear, it doesn't. What about mute people? They cannot speak, and yet they can be very smart." He said softly. "But I am very proud of you. You have come very far, and quicker than I first expected. I didn't mean to offend you, okay? I was just trying to say how proud I was." He said, still facing his computer. He didn't want to turn round, for fear she might see the slight affection in his eyes.

She nodded and said quietly. "Okay," that's all she said,.

"Do you like being a scientist?" She said with her head up, her face expressionless.

"Do you like hurting your subjects?" She understood what pain and hurt meant, but her face was expressionless.

"It's okay if you do. It kinda feel nice.." She said softly, looking down. She was a strange girl..

"When you hurt me. I know you don't like it because I see something different in your eyes. Is that correct?" She stated plainly, still expressionless

Darren turned, staring at her a moment. "I do like being a scientist...but hurting my subjects is never fun..." he sighed softly, looking down. "You're right.. that is correct." He said, fiddling with his badge. "But I'm told I have to get a certain amount of progress or the experiment will be shut down, so I'm forced to cause that pain. I hate doing it though." He looked up at her. "Why do you like it? Most people don't..." he said curiously.

"When you touch me you give me a warm feeling and goosebumps... But sometimes that warm feeling can annoy me. Then you replace it with pain.. Then I'm better. It's a cycle.." She said softly, making a circular motion in the air,

She smiled at him. "That warm feeling sometimes does feel nice." She understood most feelings.

But the only thing she didn't understand was love.

Darren nodded, biting his lip slightly as he always did as he thought. "I see." He jotted that down on a notebook, slipping it back in his pocket. "Well, Emi.." he smiled softly at her. "Since you've already pretty much thrown my plans of today's work out the window, do you want to go on a walk? No running tests or anything, just a nice walk through the gardens outside. Some fresh air, maybe an apple if they're ripe yet." He said as he stretched his back. It popped slightly and he chuckled.

She excited nodded and jumped off the table. She was shorter than him, but not that short, she climbed to him in a hug, "Yes!!!!!"

Darren laughed softly, hugging her before standing. "C'mon." He took her hand gently, leading the way out of the lab. He locked the door behind him, still chuckling softly. He took his lab coat off and draped it over her shoulders. "It's going to be just slightly chilly." He said in explanation as he led the way to the doors, walking at a normal pace.

She smiled and nodded. That warm feeling started up again.. "What's your name?" She ask quietly. "I only know you by scientist." She said frowning.

"Darren is my legal name, but I prefer Axel. It's my nickname of sorts." He said with a smile as they reached the garden doors. He pushed open the door and sure enough, they were met with a cool breeze and the smell of roses. He held the door open for her. "Ladies first." He smiled.

She shivered a little, still barefoot, walking in and oohing. "Oh my god, it's beautiful!" She exclaimed, going over to some flowers and smelling them, Asher head kept turning around at sounds.

Darren stayed close beside her. "It's my favorite place." He said, walking over to the roses and picking two, careful to break off the thorns. He carried them over, putting one behind her ear and handing her the other. "We can put these in a vase and they can sit in the lab with you...what do you say?" He asked softly, smiling.

• Love
Reactions: 1 person
She nodded and smiled, looking at the rose. "Thank you. Axel." She said, back to clinging to him. "Can we go beyond the gardens?"

Darren seemed hesitant. "Maybe...I don't know what's outside the gates in the back though, okay? That means it might be something really dangerous or bad..." he said, remembering a mention of an enclosure where the failed or the lethal experiments where put.
There was no way he would ever want to see that.

She nodded. "Can you carry me back to the lab?" She said, raising her arms so he can pick her up. Even if she was not a kid. "Please?" Her sad eyes made anyone do anything for her. "Also.. I want to a sky oh a question. Axel."

"Sure, I'll carry you." Darren chuckled softly and picked her up, holding her close to him. "Ask away!" He said with a smile as he walked back to the lab, his pace still a little slower than usual.
Was it because he wanted to spend as long as not-obviously possible holding her?...

She looked down for a moment. "Um when I get that fuzzy feeling.. Is that normal? It sometimes makes me cry.. It sometimes makes me day dream." She said tapping her wrist for some reason. "And when I daydream, you're always there. Is that normal? What do you think is happening to me?" She said with truly concerned eyes, looking up at him.

Darren was blushing brightly. "Umm..w-well. That might be emotion. You know when something makes you feel really bad and you might cry? Like, if someone leaves? That's sadness. When you feel upset at someone and it makes you not want to see them, that's anger. If you really really like someone and never want to be without them...that's love." He said quietly, looking away from her as he said this. He used his elbow to push the lab doors open, setting her on the table again. He sat down in his chair.

She smiled all the sudden, now understanding love. She was so straight forward, she got off her table and jumped into his arms. "That's means, I love you!" She would hug him, her cheeks growing pink. "I never understood love. But I do love you! I understand now!"

Darren almost fell off his chair. He stared at her a moment, his face a bright pink, his eyes wide. He looked unsure, but also extremely happy. "R-Really Emi? A-are you sure?" He asked quietly. He didn't want to lead her on a false trail, that would make him hate himself forever.

"Yes! You described what I felt." She said softly... She looked up. "It's okay if you don't. I'm glad I actually understand now,.." She would say, snuggling up into his chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.