The Dirty Dead Earth

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I haven't slept in two days. I can go longer." she said smiling into the rear view. "And should make it to Missouri before sun rise tomorrow. The tank should last until then." Hardey hopped into the back seeming more comfortable with the stranger and needing some comfort her hopped on the seat cuddling him putting his white head in the man's lap. Charlotte made another turn as she made her way towards Missouri. After a couple hours she felt drousy and felt she should distract herself. She looked at the man in back of her. He was handsome. It was bad to think of something like that while the world was ending but, it was true. His hair was slightly messy. She liked messy. And he hadn't shaved in a while obviously. She wondered how it would feel to kiss his cheek. She blushed. And that strong jaw line and great build...It made her nervous. And scared. Especially when she wasn't the type to fall in love. Was she really thinking about this with a guy she barely knew?

"So did you have a girlfriend?" she asked him softly. She didn't know why. She wanted to start conversation again and that seemed to be the first thing to come to mind. She kept her eyes on the road to avoid his eyes. She didn't want him to see her flustered just because she hadn't seen a guy in forever.....but why now? She rarely even bothered to pay attention to guys before the disease. Never kissed one. Never even held hands with one.

"Missouri? Wow, that's quite a trek, guess this thing gets good MPG. Ya know, not telling you what to do or anything, but you should probably get some rest, at 72 hours of no sleep, you're technically clinically insane, or so they say, because you start to hallucinate from sleep deprivation. So if you need a rest, just lemme know and I can continue driving." The the dog jumped in the back seat and started cuddling with him. He smiled at the affection and returned it by petting the dogs head, lulling it to sleep. Dino felt comfortable, safe. Something he hadn't felt in year, he felt like he could sleep undisturbed for the 1st time since his mom turned. His head fell back against the head rest and he fully enjoyed this moment of safe bliss.

After a few hours had passed and Dino had drifted in and out of a doze, Charlotte's voice brought him back to reality. "A girlfriend?" He chuckled softly... "Naw, no girlfriend for me. I spent a lot of time with my father as a child, learning how to be a woodsman, and once I was in high school, I wasn't "hip" enough to fit in with the popular crowd so I was outcast. Barely had any male friends." He laughed again.

"Yea, some would say I was the most awkward kid in school. I just had a different way of looking at things. I didn't care to have the best car, or the latest cell phone or video game, I was right at home camping in the wilderness, fishing, hunting, ya know, stuff like that." He was watching her eyes in the rear-view mirror, trying to place this odd ball question. Of course he had to remind himself that only hours later he had to stop himself from staring at her butt, he laughed to himself.

"What about you?" He asked, climbing into the front seat next to her, fully curious on where this conversation was going.

"Eh..well." She flushed as he moved closer stiffening. "I've never dated...see, I'm not much of a datable girl. Any guy who got close enough I scared away because of my own fears. I always looked at all the girls getting heart broken or getting pregnant and I didn't wanna be like that." She muttered. (Brb. Gtg finish something)

Dino scratched his scruffy face listening to Charlotte. "Yea, I can see that. I never understood why guys would date girls when they only intended on cheating or hurting them. I'd say you did the right thing, going with a loyal animal instead of trying to forge something with and un-trustable human." He laughed at his own words. He noticed her body language change, stiffen, and it seemed as though blood was starting to rush to her face. He looked out the window and smirked.

"Is this what liking a girl feels like?" he asked himself, feeling heat rise in his chest and his face, but he made sure to keep his face turned looking out the window.

(Sorry for short replies. Im doing an entire different Role Play On another site that sourt of makes me study some witch magic)

After a few more hours Charlotte started to dose again. It was dark now. Her head nodded and she jerked up swerving beeping the horn. "Shit." she mumbled. She got back on the road rubbing her eyes. She yawned. They were almost there.

( no worries)

Dino was dosing as well, their conversation ended abruptly and slightly awkward, but he was okay with it. But when the car suddenly jerked and the horn hoked, Dino jumped in his seat, his hand instinctively going to the firearm attached to his hip. He noticed nothing was wrong and with wide eyes looked over at Charlotte.

"You okay to keep going? I'm fairly rested and could take over from here if you wanna catch a couple Z's. Though it might be kind of comical to die in the zombie apocalypse by falling asleep at the wheel of a car." He laughed to himself not sure how Charlotte would respond that kind of humor. He knew it wasn't for everyone.

She laughed a little sleepily. "Yeah, Okay. I'd like that." she pulled the car over and rubbed her eyes. She climbed on in the back. "Thanks.." she snuggled up with Hardey immediately falling asleep, a knife clutched in her hand.

Dino got out of the passenger side and stretched his body, letting out a muffled yawn, as was his custom. He kept his eyes peeled and didn't stay outside the vehicle very long, but he wanted his legs to get some feeling back before sitting down for another couple hours. He watched her as she lay in the back seat, already appearing to be asleep. "She must have had a rough past couple of days to be traveling this hard" he thought to himself. After a moment he realized he was staring at her too hard, thoughts crossing his mind that he had never had before. He chuckled and shook them out of his head. There were more important things to focus on right now.

Dino came around and hopped back into the vehicle, put his seat-belt on, put the transmission in drive, and headed off again. Signs on the road indicated he only had another 2 hours before reaching their destination, and so he did his best to remain vigilant, for his own sake, and his two new friends in the back.

2 hours later, Dino could see the buildings of a major city peaking the horizon, the sun was coming up as well and shined brightly in his eyes, reflecting from the rear-view mirror. Dino stopped at the 1st gas station he saw, the gas light coming on on the dash only minutes before. "we made it..." he looked back to see Charlotte and Hardey cuddled and still asleep. "Well..." he whispered to himself "lets see what I can round up for some breakfast." Dino killed the engine and got his shotgun. Everything was still and calm. Hunkered against the Jeep, he waited a few minutes, surveying the area, nothing in sight, he dashed across the lot to the store. The door was unlocked, so he let himself in. Everything appeared to be in order, just abandoned, but no sight of monsters.

Dino went to gathering food supplies, stuffing his pack with bottled water and any food he could find that didn't require a heating element. He knew it's be a bad idea to build a fire in the open. With his pack filled, he was ready to go wake Charlotte and get some food in his now grumbling stomach. But as he stood to leave, standing at the end of the aisle was a zombie, staring directly at him. Dino froze, he didn't dare breathe.. Hardey must have seen something, Dino heard him bark from outside, and just as fast, the zombie rushed for Dino.

Dino raised his gun and fired, blasting the zombie several feet away from him, and then Dino heard all the others in the back room, now making their way to him, he scrambled to run....

Charlotte was there with her sword in a second. "You're a dumb ass. We have food." She seethed. "Go pump the gass. I got this." Shed turned on the pump behind the counter while the biter was distracted. She knocked his head off then headed near the back door with her bow and arrow. There were five. Yeah, she was pissed at Dino now. Just when she started to like him he does this. Did she just say like?

She growled and shot all five in the head in three seconds. Then headed outside getting in the car arms crossed. Hardey put his head on her lap.

Dino thought to himself... "Wow, this chick obviously doesn't understand survival." He shrugged and went to pump the gas. After pumping it he got into the drivers seat and waited for Charlotte to come back. Once she got into the vehicle, her frustration was obvious. So he quietly turned the engine on and drove in the same direction, not speaking or even looking at her. He kept his eyes on the road and started to wonder if leaving his home was such a good idea after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would he put his self in danger like that? When she saw that zombie coming after him she freaked. She couldn't deny she worried about him. Her? Worry about a guy? She had her arms crossed. This is why she didn't want to go to sleep. She'd known that he'd do something stupid like that...and she could care less if he hated her. He was the only person she had now.. so be it. He was probably tired. "You can pull over." she was looking out the window and her voice was softer than earlier. It had been a couple hours since they left and they were on the road again. "I'll drive for a while."

She had to admit she cared for him. He was the only thing she had besides Hardey. And she'd piss herself before she'd let him die. She still couldn't believe he'd do that. Hardey was in the front with his head in his lap. Hardey and him were obviously connecting. He had been quiet since the entired interaction. She was doing it again. Pushing guys away. How could she avoid that and be herself at the same time. She sighed letting her arms fall. She looked to the front seat. "I care about you...and that was a suicide mission..it was stupid and it made me want to punch the shit out of you. You didn't even bother to wake me....what if they got to you before I could and you turned into a biter?" She looked away as her eyes teared up.

"I convinced you to come with me to California for a reason! I- I don't want to be alone. And I know you don't either. So...just never do that again. It would kill me to know I brought you from your home only for you could get killed away from it." she crossed her arms looking out the window still. "It hurts like hell.."​

They sat in awkward silence for a couple hours, she was obviously seething about the situation. The more time that passed in this awkwardness, the more his mind reeled to pulling over and walking back to his home. But he knew he'd never make it alive. So he just kept driving. Around the time he was deciding he would split paths with her at the next stop, she spoke up and broke the ice. But the first words out of her mouth were "pull over" he thought for sure she was dropping him off, seeing him as too much of a "liability". He pulled the car over but kept the engine running. But then she started to tell him how she really felt.

He was taken back by her expression. Was she really saying all these things? When she said she cared about him, his jaw almost dropped. He had never been spoken to in that manner by someone who "cared". But again, he had never heard a female aside from his mom profess caring for him. He let her get it all out and remained silent, listening to her every word. Once she finished he allowed a moment of silence, in case she wanted to add anything else.

"Well... I'm sorry to have scared you in that fashion. That wasn't my goal. You're probably right, I should have woke you up, but your excuse in the station was invalid, yes we have food and water, but the 1st two things we're gonna run out of is food and water, so I'm gonna get what I can, from where I can, when I can. Also, if you think I haven't killed more than my fair share of these things, you're dead wrong... I lived on my own for three full years with no problems, so I don't need someone to look after me..." He stopped because he could feel rage rising inside of him and he didn't want this to turn into a fight.

He let out a sigh and pressed his head against the steering wheel. "I'm sorry.. we'll work as a team from now on. We need to know each other as best we can and coordinate if we expect to survive this... I guess this would be the point I'd ask you on that date you kept waiting for." he offered the joke to try and break the tension, but he knew he would like nothing more, than something he'd never had before, a real romance. He offered it as a joke, but he secretly wished she'd take him up on the date offer.

He was right. She did kind of jump up in his way. She'd thought he was in danger. She didn't want to risk him. Him being a grown man she probably stepped over his ego. And she would have killed him in cold blood of he'd done it to her. She decided she liked him...and hated that she was starting to trust him. When he brought up the joke she'd made yesterday heat spread to her cheeks and she turned away. "Yea..I would like that." she wasn't being herself. Is this what liking a guy felt like?

"But don't get any ideas you dope." she glared. "We can get to know each other after you sleep. I'd prefer we get to Colorado by tomorrow."

A warm fuzzy feeling began to spread in Dino's chest at her admission of liking the sound of a date. "Wow, that really worked?" he thought to himself. He furrowed his brow playfully and shook his head. "Nope, nope, no funny ideas from this dope." He chuckled, raising his hands in playful defense. He was glad things worked out this way. He took a glance around the immediate area, making sure he wouldn't get bum-rushed as soon as he opened the door. The coast seemed clear so he hopped out of the driver seat and went around the car, opening the door for Charlotte, and closing it behind her. He waited outside the car with his shotgun in hand until she got into the drivers seat and closed the door. Then he grabbed a few snacks and 2 bottles of water from the back and got into the passenger seat, offering one of the bottles and some snacks.

He planned on providing more playful banter, but he was fairly tired, and could probably use a few Zs. He leaned his chair back a bit, rested his head on the window, and watched the scenery pass by as he slowly faded to dream land.

She sighed in the seat. Colorado was next. She put the shift into drive hitting the gas. She turned the music up and looked at Hardey snuggled up with Dino. Why was Hardey always sleeping? That wasn't fair. She was trying to distract herself. A flush hit her cheeks. She wondered how it would feel to be like Hardey. Snuggled up in a warm bed with Dino...Him kissing her lips. A couple more hours passed and the sun was starting to set. She wondered how the walkers felt wondering around. Or if they felt anything at all. She dank some water and ate a couple things. She kindaa had to use the bathroom but didn't want to wake Dino yet. He looked peaceful.....less stressed. Plus it was embarrassing. She parked the car and ran toward the trees. She just prayed no walkers were near by.

Dino heard the car door shut, his eyes popped open instantly, and as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes, he saw a figure dart in front of the vehicle. With a glance, he noticed Charlotte was missing. His heart began to pound. Had she been ripped out of the car and drug off to be eaten? Surely she was adept enough to stop that from happening, but he couldn't be sure. Dino scrambled for his shotgun and opened the passenger door. Hardey jumped out behind him. Dino crouched next to the car, scanning the area. "Where'd she go Hardey? Can you smell her?"

Dino thought it best to stay where he was till he heard something, just in case. So he sat and watched, and waited.

Hardey barked as Charlotte emerged from the trees blinking in surprise. "Whats going on?" she asked. "Why are you out the car?!" she looked around taking her gun out and scanned the area. Did some enemy survivors attack? Damnit! She shouldn't have left him. She crouched low to the ground. She glared at Hardey. "Shut the hell up you dumb dog!" she hissed in alarm.

Dino reached down and stroked Hardey when he saw Charlotte emerge from the trees. "Why am I out of the car? Funny, I was gonna ask you the same thing... Didn't we just agree to work together? And here you are, out in the open, in the dark, and alone." He scolded her, for her hypocritical move. He stayed low but moved over to her so they could communicate softer.

Crouching down next to her. "I didn't see any hostiles. I just heard the door shut and a shadowed figure dash in front of the car. I didn't know if you'd been pulled out by something or what." He elbowed her and furrowed his brow at her in an non-playful manner. He wasn't infuriated or anything, just kinda taken back that she would scold him for something, then turn around and do it. Maybe she was giving him a taste of his own medicine.

"Come on, we need to get back into the car."

"I had to pee! Do you know how awkward that would've been?" she asked walking back to the car and getting in the drivers seat. She cranked the car up as Hardey and Dino got in then she took off. "Im sorry.."

Dino wasn't necessarily mad, he just thought it odd to take so much flak over their previous stop. "O well" he thought, and just chalked it up to women.

"You know, given the fact that we're not living in a typical society, and the fact that using the bathroom is a natural human thing, it's not awkward for me to know you have to pee, or even the other. It's not like I'm gonna spy on you while you're handling your business." He laughed out loud. His tone was calm and some-what joking. He didn't want her to think he was scolding her.

Status
Not open for further replies.