The Destroyermen

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Yeah, I guess we have," Dirk said. With another glance at the brontosaurs, he hurried to where the other men were looking at the ground. Lying half under one of the dead monsters was Gunner's Mate Mack Marvaney, his head torn nearly completely off.
"Goddamn lizards, or whatever the hell they are!" bellowed Silva, savagely kicking the carcass even after it rolled off his friend. Dirk was shocked and somewhat embarrassed to see the tears streaking the dust on the big man's face. He looked down at Marvaney and felt a spinning maelstrom of rage and anguish. His pulse thundered in his ears. What in the hell were they going to do? What was he going to do? They'd been ashore less than an hour and already lost a man. What kind of world had they wound up in where everything in the water and on the land was trying to eat them? How the fuck could they cope with that?
He looked at the men standing nearby. They all wore mixed expressions of rage, shock, and fear. He knew they'd rather face ten Amagis than spend another hour ashore. Well, that was fine, because they were leaving and he knew just how they felt. But they'd have to go ashore again--if not here, then somewhere--if they were going to survive.
"Bring Marvaney," he croaked savagely, then pointed at one of the dead creatures. He cleared his throat and tried to speak more clearly. "Bring that... thing too."
Adrian remained silent, each man had to cope their own way after the savage death of a friend, unlike on a ship were they just disappeared after a shell hit you had to look at the the physical remains of the body. "You must mourn later, the sounds of combat are going to draw more of them and we need to be on the boat now less we loose more of our own." He said with an air of authority of a combat veteran, he picked up the headless body of Marvaney but not before taking off his buttoned field uniform shirt and gently wrapped the mans head in it and held it under his arm while the mans body was slung over his back now and with that Adrian started to walk back towards the ship.

Adrian remained silent, each man had to cope their own way after the savage death of a friend, unlike on a ship were they just disappeared after a shell hit you had to look at the the physical remains of the body. "You must mourn later, the sounds of combat are going to draw more of them and we need to be on the boat now less we loose more of our own." He said with an air of authority of a combat veteran, he picked up the headless body of Marvaney but not before taking off his buttoned field uniform shirt and gently wrapped the mans head in it and held it under his arm while the mans body was slung over his back now and with that Adrian started to walk back towards the ship.
Two of the other men grabbed the body of that lizard thing to carry that back as the group headed back to the whaleboat. Thankfully they'd find that Tony and the other two men with the boat were physically fine, surrounded by a fairly large cluster of the bodies of those monsters. Quietly the men boarded the craft, then shoved off and started heading back over to the Walker.

Two of the other men grabbed the body of that lizard thing to carry that back as the group headed back to the whaleboat. Thankfully they'd find that Tony and the other two men with the boat were physically fine, surrounded by a fairly large cluster of the bodies of those monsters. Quietly the men boarded the craft, then shoved off and started heading back over to the Walker.
(Keep going Adrian has nothing to say.)

(Keep going Adrian has nothing to say.)
(Oops.)

When they got back to the Walker and the whaleboat was hoisted back up alongside the ship there seemed to be a collective gasp from the crew on the deck when they saw Marvaney's remains and the lizard monster that they were bringing aboard. "Mr. Fowler, would you mind fetching Mr. Bradford and having him come to the wardroom while these men bring this... creature there as well?" the Skipper asked. "I want him and the nurses to start figuring out exactly what the hell we're dealing with here. We'll handle preparations for Gunner's Mate Marvaney's burial at sea."

(Oops.)

When they got back to the Walker and the whaleboat was hoisted back up alongside the ship there seemed to be a collective gasp from the crew on the deck when they saw Marvaney's remains and the lizard monster that they were bringing aboard. "Mr. Fowler, would you mind fetching Mr. Bradford and having him come to the wardroom while these men bring this... creature there as well?" the Skipper asked. "I want him and the nurses to start figuring out exactly what the hell we're dealing with here. We'll handle preparations for Gunner's Mate Marvaney's burial at sea."
Adrian did as he was told but he did not stay to hear the full examination, the report would get to the captain's hands with or without him and he had no reason to stay since he already knew all he needed for now and that was that these things die when they are shot and stabbed and seemed to be hostile.

Adrian did as he was told but he did not stay to hear the full examination, the report would get to the captain's hands with or without him and he had no reason to stay since he already knew all he needed for now and that was that these things die when they are shot and stabbed and seemed to be hostile.
The rest of the day was relatively quiet and uneventful, as was their run through the Bali Strait that night. The repairs they managed to make weren't much to spit at, but they would do for now. As the sun rose and they were heading east along the southern coasts of Bali and the other nearby islands, Isaac and Adrian would find themselves on lookout duty as a thick blanket of fog rolled in, making it difficult to see much more than five hundred yards from the ship. "Son of a bitch, this stuff is thick!" Isaac muttered as the two flush-deckers made their way towards what they hoped was a safe haven in Australia.

The rest of the day was relatively quiet and uneventful, as was their run through the Bali Strait that night. The repairs they managed to make weren't much to spit at, but they would do for now. As the sun rose and they were heading east along the southern coasts of Bali and the other nearby islands, Isaac and Adrian would find themselves on lookout duty as a thick blanket of fog rolled in, making it difficult to see much more than five hundred yards from the ship. "Son of a bitch, this stuff is thick!" Isaac muttered as the two flush-deckers made their way towards what they hoped was a safe haven in Australia.
"We will see the flashes of guns if we are seen or detected by any jap ships, the whistle will also give them away but it'll be to late since the shell will be inbound by that time. It's pointless for us to be here right now." Adrian said as he listened for anything that might of been from a jap ship or any ship for that matter.

"We will see the flashes of guns if we are seen or detected by any jap ships, the whistle will also give them away but it'll be to late since the shell will be inbound by that time. It's pointless for us to be here right now." Adrian said as he listened for anything that might of been from a jap ship or any ship for that matter.
"Not really," Isaac argued gently. "We'll probably see them before they see us, and we're gonna need to be here to help spot any obstructions or obstacles in the water so we can avoid them..." As the fog was beginning to dissipate a bit, a massive form began to materialize out of the haze directly in front of them. Whatever it was, it was big, larger than Amagi even. The bulk of the thing looked to be roughly square-ish, and for a moment Isaac drew a connection between that shape and one of the giant Jap carriers he'd tussled with before, Zuikaku. He was quiet in shock for a moment as the two vessels closed on each other, and though the ship bearing down on them was bloody massive, it wasn't Zuikaku or any of the Japanese carriers. In fact, it wasn't Japanese at all, and it was even larger than anything short of the 72,000-ton behemoths Yamato and Musashi themselves.

Onboard the other ship, the sea-going Home Salissa, Kathryn Weyland was standing on the massive vessel's bow, also doing lookout duty. (She's a grey wolf furry, btw) Her tail swished idly behind her as she gazed out over the gradually lifting haze, then she first saw something strange. A large puff of black smoke appeared out in front of them, closely followed by another. There was a sudden impression of rapid movement, and a violent white froth grew on the water. A smallish shape, advancing impossibly fast, appeared atop the foam, under a diminishing cloud of smoke. She clung to her perch for a moment more with her jaw hanging slack. Nothing could possibly move that fast! She blinked a few times and rubbed her eyes, finding it was still there, still heading towards them. Of course it could. She saw it. She reached over and grabbed a line, shouting the only explanation she could think of at the time before she dropped down the rope towards the deck. "THE GRIK!! THE GRIK COME!! CLOSE, DIRECTLY AHEAD!!"

"Not really," Isaac argued gently. "We'll probably see them before they see us, and we're gonna need to be here to help spot any obstructions or obstacles in the water so we can avoid them..." As the fog was beginning to dissipate a bit, a massive form began to materialize out of the haze directly in front of them. Whatever it was, it was big, larger than Amagi even. The bulk of the thing looked to be roughly square-ish, and for a moment Isaac drew a connection between that shape and one of the giant Jap carriers he'd tussled with before, Zuikaku. He was quiet in shock for a moment as the two vessels closed on each other, and though the ship bearing down on them was bloody massive, it wasn't Zuikaku or any of the Japanese carriers. In fact, it wasn't Japanese at all, and it was even larger than anything short of the 72,000-ton behemoths Yamato and Musashi themselves.

Onboard the other ship, the sea-going Home Salissa, Kathryn Weyland was standing on the massive vessel's bow, also doing lookout duty. (She's a grey wolf furry, btw) Her tail swished idly behind her as she gazed out over the gradually lifting haze, then she first saw something strange. A large puff of black smoke appeared out in front of them, closely followed by another. There was a sudden impression of rapid movement, and a violent white froth grew on the water. A smallish shape, advancing impossibly fast, appeared atop the foam, under a diminishing cloud of smoke. She clung to her perch for a moment more with her jaw hanging slack. Nothing could possibly move that fast! She blinked a few times and rubbed her eyes, finding it was still there, still heading towards them. Of course it could. She saw it. She reached over and grabbed a line, shouting the only explanation she could think of at the time before she dropped down the rope towards the deck. "THE GRIK!! THE GRIK COME!! CLOSE, DIRECTLY AHEAD!!"
Adrian immediately took off running to get to the Captain with Isaac right behind him though the Captain probably already knew, something that big doesn't go unnoticed for long. He found the Captain in the bridge. "Sir if you were not aware their is a big...something coming towards us though it doesn't look Japaneses or German from what myself and Isaac could see."

"Are you sure, Mr. Fowler?..." Dirk said, glancing to the Marine and the pilot, then peering forwards through his binoculars. "I don't see anythi-SWEET JESUS!!" He turned to XO Jim Ellis and shouted "Sound general quarters!! Hard to starboard! Starboard engine ahead flank, port ahead two-thirds! Signal Mahan to do the same!"
"Adrian, you gotta come see this!" Isaac's shocked voice called from just outside the port side of the bridge as the Walker began heeling in that direction due to the hard turn. "I think that monstrosity's made of freaking wood!"

(I have a little surprise planned that would work best if Adrian was out on the open deck. Just trust me on this. ;) )

"Are you sure, Mr. Fowler?..." Dirk said, glancing to the Marine and the pilot, then peering forwards through his binoculars. "I don't see anythi-SWEET JESUS!!" He turned to XO Jim Ellis and shouted "Sound general quarters!! Hard to starboard! Starboard engine ahead flank, port ahead two-thirds! Signal Mahan to do the same!"
"Adrian, you gotta come see this!" Isaac's shocked voice called from just outside the port side of the bridge as the Walker began heeling in that direction due to the hard turn. "I think that monstrosity's made of freaking wood!"

(I have a little surprise planned that would work best if Adrian was out on the open deck. Just trust me on this. ;) )
"Sir, I know I saw it. I'm going to head back out on deck and make sure none of the gunners get to jumpy" He said as he headed back to the deck all the while running past sailors getting to their posts. Adrian hoped this would be a non violent encounter this time.

(Well he's on deck)

Everyone visible held their breath as Walker struggled to steer clear of the approaching leviathan. She only barely made the turn, slamming into the side of the other vessel's bow as she barely managed to clear her, and scraping along the side for a moment as well. A normal Wickes Little-class destroyer never would have made the turn, but a few months before Walker had had an extra three feet of height added to the bottom of her rudder as an experiment. The extra draft had become something a few people complained about, but it had cut nearly a third off of the width of the tightest circle she could turn. Mahan was able to steer clear of the oncoming ship, but the hit her sister took only reopened a few minor leaks. Up high above the men on the deck, however, there were a few indiscernable shouts and a shrill scream of terror as a grey shape that looked somewhat like a person started falling down directly towards Adrian from above.

Everyone visible held their breath as Walker struggled to steer clear of the approaching leviathan. She only barely made the turn, slamming into the side of the other vessel's bow as she barely managed to clear her, and scraping along the side for a moment as well. A normal Wickes Little-class destroyer never would have made the turn, but a few months before Walker had had an extra three feet of height added to the bottom of her rudder as an experiment. The extra draft had become something a few people complained about, but it had cut nearly a third off of the width of the tightest circle she could turn. Mahan was able to steer clear of the oncoming ship, but the hit her sister took only reopened a few minor leaks. Up high above the men on the deck, however, there were a few indiscernable shouts and a shrill scream of terror as a grey shape that looked somewhat like a person started falling down directly towards Adrian from above.
Adrian heard the scream and looked up at the grey blur falling towards him and got one thought out before he was impacted and that was. "This is my life now." Before both he and the person went for a tumble, he was on his back and noticed two things one being that what had fallen on him was a female and two said female had fur Adrian just sighed as he heard the shouts of the sailors around him.

Adrian heard the scream and looked up at the grey blur falling towards him and got one thought out before he was impacted and that was. "This is my life now." Before both he and the person went for a tumble, he was on his back and noticed two things one being that what had fallen on him was a female and two said female had fur Adrian just sighed as he heard the shouts of the sailors around him.
The other crew members were either quietly muttering or completely silent as a barely-dressed Katie latched herself onto Adrian, clinging to him strongly with her arms, legs, and tail as she looked around at the humans in a bit of shock. She looked into his eyes and then looked around again, muttering "...y... you're not G-Grik..."

The other crew members were either quietly muttering or completely silent as a barely-dressed Katie latched herself onto Adrian, clinging to him strongly with her arms, legs, and tail as she looked around at the humans in a bit of shock. She looked into his eyes and then looked around again, muttering "...y... you're not G-Grik..."
"Nope." Adrian said as this female wolf(?) held onto him. "But if you would so kindly let go of me since I can't get up and I don't want the crew to think you are trying to hurt me." He said calmly, if you had told Adrian a week earlier that he would be lying down with a barely dresses anthropomorphic female wolf lying on top of him he would have laughed before calling a mental institution but after seeing several of his friends killed by japs along with battling a large jap naval force and almost dying, falling into a green portal, killing several dinosaurs and lizard men well this was more to be expected then surprising.

"Nope." Adrian said as this female wolf(?) held onto him. "But if you would so kindly let go of me since I can't get up and I don't want the crew to think you are trying to hurt me." He said calmly, if you had told Adrian a week earlier that he would be lying down with a barely dresses anthropomorphic female wolf lying on top of him he would have laughed before calling a mental institution but after seeing several of his friends killed by japs along with battling a large jap naval force and almost dying, falling into a green portal, killing several dinosaurs and lizard men well this was more to be expected then surprising.
(Yeah, that's what she is.)
Katie flushed a little and gradually let go of Adrian, but only long enough for the two of them to stand back up. When she stood one of the soldiers was still a bit shocked and fidgety, and aimed his gun at the furry. The motion and the strange object both frightened Katie enough that she latched back onto Adrian, though this time just with her arms and tail, whimpering softly in fear.

(Yeah, that's what she is.)
Katie flushed a little and gradually let go of Adrian, but only long enough for the two of them to stand back up. When she stood one of the soldiers was still a bit shocked and fidgety, and aimed his gun at the furry. The motion and the strange object both frightened Katie enough that she latched back onto Adrian, though this time just with her arms and tail, whimpering softly in fear.
Adrian took a deep breath and exhaled before calmly with a small smile on his face told the solider. "Put the gun down, my day has been oh so odd and honestly i'm at wits end so put the gun away or i'll make you...with my fist and you in the water. We can't afford to be jumpy here, this is a situation we have no knowledge about but we can infer that she *Adrian said pointing to the wolf girl* is neither German of Japaneses or Italian." He spoke both to the man and the crew around them before looking at the wolf girl. "Dear while I understand this situation is odd and perhaps frightening for you I do need you to let go of me so I can take you to my friend Connie so she can make sure neither of us are hurt alright." Adrian spoke calmly and evenly not really knowing what to do.

Adrian took a deep breath and exhaled before calmly with a small smile on his face told the solider. "Put the gun down, my day has been oh so odd and honestly i'm at wits end so put the gun away or i'll make you...with my fist and you in the water. We can't afford to be jumpy here, this is a situation we have no knowledge about but we can infer that she *Adrian said pointing to the wolf girl* is neither German of Japaneses or Italian." He spoke both to the man and the crew around them before looking at the wolf girl. "Dear while I understand this situation is odd and perhaps frightening for you I do need you to let go of me so I can take you to my friend Connie so she can make sure neither of us are hurt alright." Adrian spoke calmly and evenly not really knowing what to do.
Katie was again hesitant, but slowly released her hold on Adrian as the nervous sailor re-holstered his weapon. "C-Connie?..." Katie echoed, tilting her head a bit in confusion and curiosity. "Who's that and who are you?..."

Katie was again hesitant, but slowly released her hold on Adrian as the nervous sailor re-holstered his weapon. "C-Connie?..." Katie echoed, tilting her head a bit in confusion and curiosity. "Who's that and who are you?..."
"She's a doctor, she'll help make sure you weren't injured from your fall, As for who I am well my name is Adrian Fowler and I am a solider as a matter of fact most of the people except a select few you see on this ship are soldiers but of a different type than myself." He said as they walked to the med bay to find Connie.

"...She's a healer?..." Katie asked, nervously staying close to the big Marine as Walker and Mahan slowed a bit, then started coming about to pull alongside the wooden leviathan of a ship that was sailing--the thing was being propelled by three massive bloody SAILS of all things--along at a pokey six knots. "...wh-what are you people?" Katie said, beginning a barrage of confused and fascinated questions that she started bombarding Adrian with almost as intensely as the Japs had bombarded what was left of the Asiatic Fleet a few days before. "Where did you come from? How does your Home move so quickly and where are it's sails? What were you doing that made you almost hit us? Why... why did you save me?..."

When they reached the Medibay the first thing Connie recognized was Adrian, and the first thing Katie recognized was the scent on Connie of the creature that Walker's head nurse had dissected but hadn't managed to clean up from yet. Isaac had headed off towards the officers quarters to try and find Courtney Bradford, since he knew the Aussie wouldn't want to miss out on examining this newest discovery for anything, and to also fetch the captain so that he could better know and figure out what was developing.

"Are you kidding me? *exaggerated sigh* Alright, what the hell is wrong with you now, hot stu-..." Connie started to say before she noticed what Katie looked like and froze, staring at the furry in stunned silence. Just across the room, Kathy McCoy fainted outright, only stopped from hitting the floor by a quick-thinking Pam Cross and Karen Theimer. "...wha?..." Connie mouthed silently as she just stared at the very busty (even more-so than her), essentially-bikini-clad wolfess. Katie's ears were flattened back against her head and she got down low on all fours, looking around nervously as she searched fearfully for the Grik she was smelling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.