The Deadric Wager - {NO LONGER ACCEPTING}

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
... Actually, that took no time at all, as it shouldn't if one knows how to write well. It takes no time to add detail. I'm very disappointed in these... excuses you make up. Really it shouldn't be of quantity and quickness anyways, but more of quality. That's what I have to say on that, and why I voiced my displeasure.

... Actually, that took no time at all, as it shouldn't if one knows how to write well. It takes no time to add detail. I'm very disappointed in these... excuses you make up. Really it shouldn't be of quantity and quickness anyways, but more of quality. That's what I have to say on that, and why I voiced my displeasure.
Well, you and I read and imagine differently then. As I read the red sentences of yours, I imagined a considerable amount of time passing. Thoughts are not instantaneous, neither is looking round a room. Stack it on top of walking to a seat and you have quite a long piece of time.

Sigh. Obviously it is no time. Nor is it to write a small paragraph. Detailing does not take away from time... at all. Just makes your writing better. Truthfully there's no point in fighting your... 'point'. I'm disappointed in your lack of care for quality.

(Adding to the fact, your brain and observations internally can be as fast as a millisecond. You do so every day, in a very quick fashion that doesn't even take up dialog within your mind.)

Sigh. Obviously it is no time. Nor is it to write a small paragraph. Detailing does not take away from time... at all. Just makes your writing better. Truthfully there's no point in fighting your... 'point'. I'm disappointed in your lack of care for quality.

(Adding to the fact, your brain and observations internally can be as fast as a millisecond. You do so every day, in a very quick fashion that doesn't even take up dialog within your mind.)
My point was about the fact that him being able to move to a seat, look at the floor and consider that the blood stains were people he had killed, look at (assumingly the roof) and wonder that it was him that inflicted that damage and ponder about the motivations behind neutral groups and war all in the space of a time that would allow for a response to be relevant and fluent to the situation. I wouldn't bother writing any more on this subject however. I shall not respond to them because frankly I have my opinions, you have your opinions, neither of them are going to change and we both have better things to do.

Also your use of the "no just no" thing is wrong. Especially given it obnoxious and troll-like to use it in response to a statement of fact that cannot be changed.

You poor thing... I hope you are found sufficient enough to roleplay with to others. Though I can understand why you are the third most disliked user on the site.

You poor thing... I hope you are found sufficient enough to roleplay with to others. Though I can understand why you are the third most disliked user on the site.

lol that's awesome :D but no you don't understand why until you look at the second post on this: https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/revenant-freedom-ooc.42354/#post-1081322

however that does also illustrate just how small this forum is. If someone can become the third most disliked person with one post which got 9/11 (lol) of their dislikes, then clearly very few people actually exist on it. I do know for fact that RPs slow down and stop very quickly here.

Probably from the players and 'writers' such as yourself; no one can nor wants to continue such a long RP with one/two liners... From that solitary post, I can understand why you're disliked so much. Blatantly disregarding someone's created universe and speaking down upon it is quite rude.

Whoa, whoa guys. What's all this hubbub?

From what I can tell, BOTH of you are in the wrong on this argument.

@Venomarrah: Honestly, that's far more detail than I would spare on one post myself, and I'm quite known by a few people off-site for having unneccessarily long or drawn out writing. I understand your desire for better detail, but that's by no means a good reason to make personal attacks. Voice your displeasure if you want to in the hopes of finding something more satisfactory, certainly! I don't discourage it, just don't turn it into some huge personal affront against yourself if the person chooses not to. Raito is in the wrong to some extent too, but some of what you've said and done, such as the "No just no" comment is trolling behavior. Raito could have used more detail in his post, but everyone has a different style and view on what is "good" writing, and length isn't always better. Raito hasn't attacked your style of writing except saying that it's not his style, so there's no reason for you to attack his except for personal preferences not lining up.
Raito's post was very brief, but there were so many other posts you could have still worked off of as well besides only his, and just spared a last line or two to Raito's post. Other than being picky, that's why I'm having a bit of a hard time following the "I have nothing to work off of" reasoning you're putting forward, and your posts give off the impression of much longer time passing than I'm sure it seems like or was intended in your own head when writing. Remember that simply because you know what's going on or how much time is passing even before you write doesn't mean that's the impression it gives others in actual execution! ;)

@Raitoningu: Your post could have been a little more detailed, even if you were trying to keep it brief for interaction. Personally I agree that Veno's example was a little long for the particular effect you were going for, but that doesn't mean you should completely write off more than one line of writing as being unneccessary. For example, pairing down Veno's example of detail to match more of the effect you were going for.

"My business here is my own. I would ask you to mind your own, but I know your type aren't very good at that." He turned away, and assumed his seat.
His eyes briefly surveyed the room, he could still see small, tell-tale signs of his work about the hall in a quick glance; holes in the banners, some stains from the fallen, and some chairs to the side still with scorch marks; marks left by him, much like marks that would be left in history. He felt a swell of pride at that, but it quickly left as his eyes turned back to the gathered parties, knowing the guilds were more likely to favor the other side - the winning team - than his. It was simply the more obvious choice.

How much less brief the descriptions are also do give more of the feeling of a brief glance, rather than the impression Veno's gives me(personally), but it is a little more effort to detail I would like to see in the future. Again, I get you were leaving an act for others to follow, and that's okay on occasion, but don't just expect others to pick up the slack on description and setting the scene, you should be contributing to that as well. You started off with posts like that earlier on and I'd really like to see more of them since I know you can do it! C:

Now my style of writing and reading doesn't mesh up with everyone else's styles here either, but I've said nothing about any of them because I respect that people have their own styles of writing. Some like shorter, some like longer, some like a certain amount of detail, and others find more detail to be more drawn out and boring. That's simply personal preference, and all styles have their place!
I ask that you all respect each other's styles of writing as well, even if you don't necessarily agree that their style works. If something is an immediate problem to everyone in the RP, I will(and have) said something about it. If you want to continue arguing, do it off the thread and work it out privately amongst yourselves, or don't continue at all if you insist on doing it here. I don't expect you guys to like each other, but if you're going to continue the RP I'm hosting, I expect you to at least not attack each other, either blatantly or passive-aggressively, on my threads. Otherwise, I'll kick you BOTH out if you continue.

I assume we're all old enough to know how to control ourselves, yes? Roleplay is meant to just be something fun and time-killing, let's keep it that way, shall we? And keep unrelated matters outside of this thread just as they are; outside this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, @Venomarrah, maybe @Raitoningu is doing one liners since he could be short on time, not to mention the fact that we're both tired from writing our books. And please, don't bring popularity into this, it's an irrelevant factor and that is most likely untrue since Rait is new and many do not know who he is. Secondly, why are we sat here arguing over a mere one-liner? Why nit-pick? Really, there's no point. With NPCs detail is unnecessary, it's just something others need and some don't. You could say what they did in a short line, since they're a non player character or you can drone on and on for pages about how they sat down. But really, there's no point to it if they aren't significant to the story, what does it really matter if the post is short? It generalizes what happens so I don't see a problem.

Also, @Venomarrah, do not presume things without confirming them first.

Whoa, whoa guys. What's all this hubbub?

@Raitoningu: Your post could have been a little more detailed, even if you were trying to keep it brief for interaction. Personally I agree that Veno's example was a little long for the particular effect you were going for, but that doesn't mean you should completely write off more than one line of writing as being unneccessary. For example, pairing down Veno's example of detail to match more of the effect you were going for.

"My business here is my own. I would ask you to mind your own, but I know your type aren't very good at that." He turned away, and assumed his seat.
His eyes briefly surveyed the room, he could still see small, tell-tale signs of his work about the hall in a quick glance; holes in the banners, some stains from the fallen, and some chairs to the side still with scorch marks; marks left by him, much like marks that would be left in history. He felt a swell of pride at that, but it quickly left as his eyes turned back to the gathered parties, knowing the guilds were more likely to favor the other side - the winning team - than his. It was simply the more obvious choice.

How much less brief the descriptions are also do give more of the feeling of a brief glance, rather than the impression Veno's gives me(personally), but it is a little more effort to detail I would like to see in the future. Again, I get you were leaving an act for others to follow, and that's okay on occasion, but don't just expect others to pick up the slack on description and setting the scene, you should be contributing to that as well. You started off with posts like that earlier on and I'd really like to see more of them since I know you can do it! C:

Now my style of writing and reading doesn't mesh up with everyone else's styles here either, but I've said nothing about any of them because I respect that people have their own styles of writing. Some like shorter, some like longer, some like a certain amount of detail, and others find more detail to be more drawn out and boring. That's simply personal preference, and all styles have their place!
I ask that you all respect each other's styles of writing as well, even if you don't necessarily agree that their style works. If something is an immediate problem to everyone in the RP, I will(and have) said something about it. If you want to continue arguing, do it off the thread and work it out privately amongst yourselves, or don't continue at all if you insist on doing it here. I don't expect you guys to like each other, but if you're going to continue the RP I'm hosting, I expect you to at least not attack each other, either blatantly or passive-aggressively, on my threads. Otherwise, I'll kick you BOTH out if you continue.

I assume we're all old enough to know how to control ourselves, yes? Roleplay is meant to just be something fun and time-killing, let's keep it that way, shall we? And keep unrelated matters outside of this thread just as they are; outside this thread.

Yeah I do realise I need to put more into my writing and I would have said so against Veno but the argument went onto a tangent too fast. I probably wrote that late at night when I was either extremely tired or had very little time. Plus I came to Iwaku from Minecraft Forum's RP section so naturally one gets used to bad grammar and one-liners.

It's fine Raito, I saw that it was a one-liner as well and thought it could use more detail when I first read it but I wasn't going to raise a fuss over one post being short(I mean it's not like a made a post-length rule anyway). Just so long as it's not something that happens on every or almost every post in the future, it's really not a huge problem.

If it makes you feel any better, I've had a post before that was literally one word. That was it XD My post literally did not need more than one word to advance upon what was happening in the story, which is totally fine! On the other side of that, I did a post once that was almost 7,000 words long in a single post(that's twelve pages in Word, in case you need to figure out how long it is!) as well, and several posts that were at least 2,000 words each before that(a friend of mine and I somehow got into a post-length contest out of the blue without meaning to. It was a fun writing exorcise, but exhausting!) so I'm no stranger to both sides of the spectrum. Whatever simply feels natural/necessary, go for it :) Just try to aim for at least a happy medium whenever you can.

I usually write about two paragraphs. One if I either dont have the energy or can't think of anything. I don't write epics at least in RPs because I don't want to get too far ahead, for example having an entire afternoon of activities which may cause others to try catch up when perhaps they wanted to initiate something else which then couldn't be done without retracing and deleting parts of posts.

Same.

The funny thing is, the post-length contest I did with this one friend of mine wasn't going through a bunch of events. It was literally just conversation and internal-observation/thoughts/descriptions that became heinously detailed. But without moving through a lot(or even really any) events. It was crazy! I never want to do it again though, that was just way too much... XD Luckily, between my friend and I, I still hold the record for longest post lol

Yeah I would extend with description but I don't find it necessary. When faced with a wall of text people tend to skim-read to pick out if anything important happened that might involve them and leave the rest. Its pointless writing a massive amount of stuff if they aren't even going to read it.

I did nothing in the form of being a troll. Really, I find that blatantly rude. The button 'no just no' doesn't have any hidden meaning. It's just a form of dislike.

I find it rather ironic how you say I am 'wrong', @The Great Me!, as you clarify; yet somehow lead to the conclusion we are both 'right' in our opinions, and my example paragraph being 'somewhat' right. I didn't mean to pick on him. I was giving an example and he fought tooth and claw against my words, saying his line was etiquette for the story. Yes, after that is an opinion. But he kept on fighting, not even wishing in any form to take my advice. I was in no way personally attacking him until he kept replying annoyingly and pestering his 'point' with slight hostility.

My detail is no where near anything of a large scale, as you all know this. You've all written in the same exact fashion, and even farther than my example post, the whole entire beginning of the roleplay! How is that fair to say when my meesily paragraph was just an example of depth?! And even if a short time has passed as you all accuse of in my writing, what does it matter? Thoughts take no time, looking around takes even less. :/

I'm extremely upset and insulted that you all are fighting against me, putting my writing, opinions, and example down whilst slapping his wrist and saying 'Bad boy!', when I did so little, and then you go off to say that if we (basically) are to say anymore, you'd kick us out! I was just trying to show a form of writing he could have done, which in my and very many other's opinions on this site is much better then one liners, NPC or not. Also, Ulfric is actually quite an important character, so of course he should be detailed further, @Raimei. The fact none of you care about his detail... it upsets me. There's no quality to him. Truthfully I could care less about length, but quality, just as you said to me, @The Great Me!.

If you're short on time, there's no point in writing; wait until you do have time, so you and no one else stresses over your writing.
I presumed nothing to begin with.
I happen to be a person just as many others who read through everything someone writes, as they could have taken time and care into them, also I wouldn't want to miss anything they could have done or said.......
With how you cut down my paragraph, personally, it sounds... choppy. Very, very choppy and blunt. In my mind, it sounds kinda horrible. Like a fast forward through a VCR tape. Do you truly look at something without thinking about it?
I am sorry to all who saw me hostile, when I truly was trying not to be but in the very last set of posts, where I was just too angry from his blunt disregards to watch my temper.

I do apologize for commenting on your downmarks and speaking low of you in those last posts, @Raitoningu, that was low of me. That and nothing more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess we both misinterpreted each other. You see, I was expecting a pure roleplaying community to have an appreciation for other people's opinions. I was wrong, and I shall be more careful of that in the future.

Veno, when you go on to tell a person things like "You poor thing... I hope you are found sufficient enough to roleplay with to others. Though I can understand why you are the third most disliked user on the site." and other similar posts, yes, I am going to have more to say to you on what you did wrong.

The "No just no" thing may be a site option but there was no need for it simply because Raitoningu expressed having a different opinion on writing style.

And as for kicking you out, maybe I need to elaborate more - if you both continue to go back and forth like cats and dogs, I will kick you both out. It takes two to keep arguing.

On the other hand though, Raito might have gotten more of a slap on the wrist, but his posts were merely defending his opinion on how he feels most comfortable writing. Yours, on the other hand, were personal attacks. He still gets some of the fall for going back and forth, but ultimately, he didn't go out of his way to personally insult you even though he did argue.

Now I'm trying to meet both of you guys half-way here so we can all reach some common ground on the matter and continue in relative peace, which you seem to be taking way too personally, Veno. Raito is allowed to post however he's most comfortable with, as are you.

........ Did no one see my apology or are you all just going to keep putting me down? No matter, I suppose.... As for your retort, @Raitoningu, it's a literal rule on the site's Roleplay 101. I have nothing more to say, truthfully.... But if you wish to continue on getting the last word, go on. And with this overwhelming put down, I'm taking my leave from this roleplay.
I wish you luck on keeping this going, @The Great Me!.

Well from your post before, you didn't seem to know why what I said to you may have seemed 'harsher' than what I told Raito, between what each of you said to one another, so I clarified the reasons.

I'm glad that you apologized and hopeful that we can still pick up the proverbial pieces and continue, despite some disagreements, but your choice to leave or stay is yours. I guess you've chosen to leave.

You're always welcome to come back if you change your mind.

On another note, hopefully the rest of you are still on board for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.