The Better Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
You already know what I'm gonna say. PC4lyfe, fool.

Just gonna skip half the posts here. Yup.

Own both Xbox consoles, the first three PS consoles, a Gamecube, A Dreamcast and a GameBoy Colour.

They're All Awesome.
End Of Story.

However I don't feel there is no denying that the PS3 pulled further ahead late in the game in comparison to the 360 and Nintendo, well, they just keep trucking along with a steady release of Nintendo fans favorite characters and the joyous little games with the Wii-mote. PS3 pulled ahead with outrageously beautiful graphics which really proved how much a dev could milk from the PS3 with games such as The Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls or even more recent titles like The Witcher 3. Though the 360 has kept up no less in solid games while lacking the Blu-ray material which gave that extra perk to the PS3.

Oh. And as for comparing the next gen consoles, it seems a meaningless thing to do considering they've been out for what? Two or three years? Give them another five and then the measuring contest can begin, until then no dev has been able to push the limits of the consoles ability to function and really show off.

Anyways. Enough rambling.

Gonna go and play on my PC now.

Typically, a life cycle of a console is around six years. That might be starting to change considering how prolonged last gen was, but food for thought for claiming wait five years before judging. For almost every single console generation, 5 years was right near the end of its lifespan. I've been gaming since the NES days so I've watched six generations of consoles come and go. It's uncanny, although awesome, thst they've been supporting the last gen for a goddamn decade. That's unprecedented.

Also, ads for game companies in the early day were goddamn brutal and offensive towards the competion. Back when Sega was competing with the Gameboy with the Game Gear, they basically ran ads accusing Nintendo customers of being children at best and mentally retarded at worst. Console wars back then were way more hilarious back then and nobody fucking advocated liking all systems. You supported your company and ruthlessly fought with your friends and classmates (because the internet wasn't a thing back then) over what was better. It wasn't uncommon seeing entire grades of a school gravitate towards one system or the other because they didn't want to be the loser who plays on the wrong system. Keep in mind this was when we called multiplayer two player and e3 was pretty much a giant party and a gamer Mecca.

New consoles were new weapons in the endless console wars, Nintendo fans cheered over the defeat of hated Sega when they quit the console business, and overall shit was just a lot more lively, especially in magazines. This past generation switch really came and went with very little fanfare, probably because everyone grew up and calling the competition a bunch of retards doesn't fly anymore.

I'm one of the few that'll tell you to go X-One. It'sIt's a pretty solid console AND..................

HALO 5 GUARDIANS!!

Only redeeming quality that game has is that it brought back Buck.
I'm assuming you're one of those "veterans" that hate everything after Halo 3. (Not gping to argue, that's your opinion and I respect it, so I'd be pleased if you respect mine too)

I'm assuming you're one of those "veterans" that hate everything after Halo 3. (Not gping to argue, that's your opinion and I respect it, so I'd be pleased if you respect mine too)
No? My interest in the series dwindled after bungle dropped it. The story is getting ridiculous and the multiplayer gets a little closer to generic each iteration.

Way to jump to conclusions, yo'.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
No? My interest in the series dwindled after bungle dropped it. The story is getting ridiculous and the multiplayer gets a little closer to generic each iteration.

Way to jump to conclusions, yo'.
Believe it or not this is pretty close to my concern.

Anyway, Halo'ss multiplayer is coming back to its roots. The core of arena style based on team-play is gorgeous and with some fancy additions may I say.

Typically, a life cycle of a console is around six years. That might be starting to change considering how prolonged last gen was, but food for thought for claiming wait five years before judging. For almost every single console generation, 5 years was right near the end of its lifespan. I've been gaming since the NES days so I've watched six generations of consoles come and go. It's uncanny, although awesome, thst they've been supporting the last gen for a goddamn decade. That's unprecedented.
The only reason the last gen is getting this "unprecedented" level of support, is because the hardware in the "next gen" actually isn't all that impressive and so cross-compatibility is easy. The "next gen" also hasn't sold all that well, so anyone developing expensive products, exclusively for a next gen console, is either completely insane, or doing so under contractual obligation and nothing more.

Anywho, since I've also been around a long time, here's my take on all this.

Also keep in mind that the brutal advertisements and what not were supported by both companies. Sega didn't try to takedown Nintendo ads and vice versa because the competition drove interest and kept it in an era when gaming was just a niche hobby. Both companies released remarkably cheap consoles back then: Nintendo 64's and Sega Dreamcasts released at US$199.99. Each. That meant that if you wanted both consoles, it only cost you about 399.98 in total--that's around the cost of a single new PS4 or XBox One, not including peripheral fees, not including online account fees, et cetera. New games for said systems were also about 10-30 dollars cheaper. If you wanted to play one, you just put it in the console and played. Now? You wait for updates, installation, 20 minutes later you're probably getting graced with a "did you buy the Uber Deluxe Special Edition?" In which you can optionally insert a code that allows you to play with pink or gold guns--something which used to be free. Then you get pile drived with DLC, ala Evolve, taking what was once a 60 dollar game, and shooting the total cost of admission to well over 100 dollars.

Part of what's putting such a poisonous lethargy on both the PS4 & XBox One, and part of the reason they took so long to develop (breaking the 6 year cycle), is because they were prohibitively expensive. I'd also like to note that graphically, neither console is particularly impressive. They're boasting about 720 & 1080P in an era where 4K is right around the corner--this is embarrassing graphically speaking, and yet if you want to own both of them, plus peripherals, plus a couple games, it'll probably run you close to 800-1,000 dollars.

If ever there was a sign that the console market is comprised of obese dinosaurs, this is it.

Leave alone that part of what made earlier console generations a roaring success was an amazing line up of on-release titles and several development studios churning out new products--ergo giving value to what was already a fairly well priced system. Sony went ahead and commissar-executed half their studios in the PS3 era just to stay afloat, and Microsoft couldn't even get a new fucking Halo game of any worthwhile note to release with the XBox One.

The one interesting note with the new generation of consoles is they've both nearly tripled the amount of RAM they had before, which means you could easily create large, sweeping, multi-level scenarios without any loading screens. Yet, no game developer is taking advantage of this yet. :ferret:

So, I suppose this is a suitable explanation of why I tend to view the new console generation with a mixture of disgust and pity. If you really want one, go with the XBox One--at least the company that makes it isn't veritably, absolutely, morally bankrupt. Just greedy and out of touch with its consumer base. Or, you can get a Wii U. Which has yet to actually crest the ten million console mark, in a market of hundreds of millions of people, in two years...

Yeah, this generation is doing pretty fucking badly right now. They mangled their releases, sold overly expensive products, nickle-and-dimed the consumer base, and then had the gall to not even have a decent line up of games. Even if Sony "wins" this generation, it'll still pale in comparison to the PS2 or Wii, and that sucks. Because all of us will feel it in the next generation of consoles. Especially if they fail to learn anything.

Reactions: Dervish
  • Love
Reactions: 1 person
latest

Humanity peaked in 1996.

PS4. Not even for the sake of specs but simply because you should spite Microsoft for what they tried initially with the XBox One, which they thankfully did not do thanks to all the people flipping tables. Regardless, they don't deserve a single penny for the mere fact of trying to do what they tried to do...!(Just google it >_>)

Also you should get Fallout 4 on PC anyways because mods.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.