The 4th Age (LotR Based RP)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Eh fuck it I'm making a dwarf... probably related to Erebor.

I'll only be playing one character for now, but if anyone needs help with lore, please feel free to message or ask!

I'm almost always available though if I take a minute to reply it's probably because I'm napping lol

I'm going to make a dwarf
(Image Removed)

Last edited:
I just realized I'd be playing too similar an archetype to Ward with him, I'll make some adjustments...

Alrighty did some research and I'll be playing a stubborn old man alchemist/inventor king of the Glittering caves (the kingdom Gimli made under where helms deep was). He'll be the king after Gimli with a few sons to take over for him. His reason for coming to the meeting personally: "I'd rather die than be stuck dealing with ruling another day, you're not keeping me down here forever!"
I'm going to say he's a grandson or great grandson of one of the dwarves of Erebor, as there's wiggle room for it there as not all their fates were detailed out.
I'll do the rest of the details later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufty Bunny
Alrighty did some research and I'll be playing a stubborn old man alchemist/inventor king of the Glittering caves (the kingdom Gimli made under where helms deep was).
I'm going to say he's a grandson or great grandson of one of the dwarves of Erebor
Astrid will probably know him then, or at least be familiar with his lineage.

I couldn't find the one I wanted. Dang it. They took my meme

Reactions: EldridSmith

This is how I expect the meeting to go.

We're watching the Hobbit movies =]
I'mma binge through them all over the week

Reactions: EldridSmith
You tempt me at making him a widower for the old man BS
Lol you can do it. I'm pretty sure we would have met, especially since Astrid makes it a point to get to know and visit the kings and queens and lords of the realm
I just may... however I know for sure now I'm going to have him brag his wife was the only one without facial hair in the kingdom, because screw it he's going to be a stubborn old bastard with old man humor.

Hey, guys, I really hate stifling creativity, but, it's becoming apparent to me that while this council is meant to bring together potential heroes of the age and all, there is a whole LOT of special in this cast. Don't get me wrong, I definitely get wanting your characters to be something special and unique, and delving into the lore with character backgrounds is a pretty great way to do it, it can also be a really easy way to wind up with grossly overpowered parties.

As it currently stands, our party consists of two maiar, a maiar descendant, a dope half orc and half elf character, a shifter (which, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't allow, but, at least it's different and brings a unique aspect to the party), a grumpy dwarf (holla), a cool elf lady, a revenant lady (love this concept, actually), a fire demon adjacent character (concept needs worked on, I don't dig the demon angle in this setting), and a descendant of the witch king of angmar and some elves (I don't know where the maiar connect is, but, eh, my lore knowledge is a bit lacking)

To be honest, my anxiety is kicking up a storm as I look over all of these sheets and I ponder on what it means for the game. I'm not saying with all these characters that establishing challenges would be impossible, but, my deer friends, it would be quite the task. I have ideas, of course, but, my brain is really telling me that right now this is just too much. We don't have a single representative proper of Gondor or Rohan, the primary countries of men. Again, I understand the desire to be more unique and special, but, even in a fantasy we have to ground it a bit in some semblance of realism.

I apologize for the rant, I know this is a lot to read in an OOC post, especially given the content and that we haven't even started yet. So, if at all possible, with the cast really filling up at this point, So, my request is this; the fire girl, if she were a human sorceress practicing magic, she could still be quite useful and versatile, unique, and still bring another more human element.

As far as the Witch King descendant character, I'm afraid I am actually going have to decline this concept for the moment. Black magic is not something we can forseeably allow. For multiple reasons, really. I am truly sorry to say no to an idea, as a DM I truly dislike doing it, but, I really need to, for my own sanity, start applying a little more restraint.

If you have further questions or concerns, please contact me and let me know. Apologies again.

a shifter (which, in hindsight, I probably shouldn't allow, but, at least it's different and brings a unique aspect to the party)

(I don't know where the maiar connect is, but, eh, my lore knowledge is a bit lacking)

To be honest, my anxiety is kicking up a storm as I look over all of these sheets and I ponder on what it means for the game

We don't have a single representative proper of Gondor or Rohan, the primary countries of men.
So shifters were scattered throughout Middle earth even before the Third Age. It's quite possible that a few were lost and hidden, but definitive lore doesn't exist on these inhabitants so it's kinda wishy washy at best.

I'm not really sure where the Maiar connect is either, except that if there was a meeting of the greatest leaders of Middle earth, they would definitely have attended of their own accord, even if they were not invited...

I HIGHLY recommend making a link to each individual character sheet post on the initial post for this thread to more easily find and reference the different characters, as well as keep track of participants. Just a simple list with links to each named char sheet. Ez Pz, but highly helpful.

Actually, Astrid would technically be considered a fair representative of Men, since she's been around for longer than ten generations of kings, and has connections to Gondor, Rohan, Dale, and Cardolan before it absolved... If any representatives of those realms traveled to the meeting, Astrid would have surely accompanied them.

Would it help if we made some villains? Either additional villains or generals serving your new ring maker? We could easily make some powerful beings or some dangerous enemies, or a few monsters?

I'm not one to speak on behalf of a group but I feel confident in saying that we don't mind putting in the extra work to ground our characters more or develop them to better fit what you had in mind for the RP. If there's any changes we can make please let us know.

Wight-girl isn't all too powerful with her ghostly powers. Mostly a lamp whom can sucker punch a ghost. But overall she's more just a straight forward ranger. And as a second character I've been thinking about a Gondorian knight, a soldier from a family of nobility. A simple concept but it doesn't require a special concept to make a good character.