Terra Dracones (The Land of Dragons)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Devin stood over the dragon, a strange sense of calmness washing over him. He was thankful that her sleep hadn't been as troubled as his, remembering that she also had nightmares whenever she slept.
After a bit of hesitation, he adjusted his glasses and quietly sat down next to the dragon, resting his back against one of her forepaws. He yawned and closed his eyes, meditating as he waited for her to wake up.

Hearing a dull thud echo through her mind as she slept, she stirred as the grayness wavered like a liquid mirror around her before stilling once again. She took a guess that it was the human, leaving it at that, trying to wake up again. She often took a decent amount of time to wake up but she was anxious and she wanted to hurry up and get going. So she pushed and struggled to make herself get up and rouse herself. Then the grayness crumbled as she woke from her slumber.

As she began stirring, Devin quickly stood up and waited, wondering if she would be angry with him for getting too close. He could tell by how long it took that the dragon often had trouble waking up from a deep slumber. It seemed as if they were not so different after all.
Without knowing what to say, he settled for a soft: "Good morning..." His voice was a bit dry and raspy. He silently hoped that he wasn't getting sick.

Now awake, her eyes opened part way as she shifted her head so she could see him. She didn't move the rest of her body because she felt his weight on her arm, not wanting to knock him over. She didn't mind but she was still half-asleep so it took a moment for her to respond.
She groaned a bit as she stretched out one of her wings, wanting to move the other but continuing to let it lay still.
" yes. I suppose it is a good morning. Sleep much?"

Lifting her head off the ground and higher up into the air, she yawned, surprisingly in a rather silent manner. It revealed about a couple dozen different sized razor edged teeth, all whiter than fresh snow. One of her personally prized accomplishments.

"I slept a little... not very much, though." He said, clearing his throat and standing up. He cast a glance at her wing, noticing that it had healed up and looked much better than it previously had. He felt a heaviness in his chest as his mind replayed the events of the last day.
"Look... I want to thank you for saving me yesterday. It's been a long time since anyone has done something like that for me and... well... I'm grateful." He said with a sigh. Even though he felt he should say much more, it was all he could manage.

She finally rose to her feet, spreading her wings out and flapping them a few times, sending huge bursts of wind around her, pulling them back to her sides and looking back at him, closing her eyes for a moment and then opening them back up again.
" Yesterday was the easy part. It will only get harder from here. You are gonna need something more than a hood and a pistol to defend yourself. Come look."

Lucinda now stood at the edge of the mountains peek, her front claws clutched to it as she stared out to the desert before her. It was a place of the sand dragons. Built for heat and survival. They weren't the most welcome type but she had already had her share of them plenty of times before now. She had a good friend who lives within the desert city located a good distance within the desert itself. He could safely get them through it with as few disruptions as possible in such an unlikable place.

" we have to cross and pass through Saundria in order to get to the Sundial Plains."

blade_and_soul_conceptart_SPQHv.jpg
( this is Saundria. The desert stretching out from all directions away from it would take several days to cross even flying.)

Devin stared off into the distance, where the desert seemed to spread off beyond the sight of normal human eyes. Having never ventured off this far before in his life, seeing the desert so close to the forest caught him off guard. It seemed that now that he was with her, he was going to learn a lot more about this land than he ever thought possible.
After stretching his muscles (not that there was much muscle on him), he unzipped his hoodie and shook it out, shaking off any dust and moisture that had collected in it during his travels. Slipping it back on, he turned to the dragon.
"If you don't mind me asking, why are we journeying all the way to the Sundial Plains?" He asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

" we should. That's where I used to live before I ah... well... I guess I was sort of thrown from the nest I suppose. I got at that age where I could supposedly fend for myself." seeming uncomfortable on the subject of that, she changed it to something else.

" The Sundial Plains are a good distance away but my mother has a special mirror that transports you to wherever you wish to go. But you have to be specific with it. I last contacted my mother a few days ago. I never physically see her anymore. Only through the tide-pools. Anyway, shall we be on our way then?"

Taking a step back, a slight grin inching onto her face as she awaited the response of the human gazing out over the desert before them.

Listening closely, he nodded, feeling a bit of a rush of anticipation. He thought about what she told him. A magic mirror that had the ability to transport a person to whatever location they desired? All his life, Devin had been skeptical about anything of magical or divine attributes, but again it seemed as if everything he had always believed would be thrown aside as long as he was with this dragon.
"All right, let's go." He said, his voice still raspy, yet determined. He walked over to her, wondering if she'd let him ride on her back.
It was then he was struck with the realization that they had never been properly acquainted. Of course if they were going to be traveling together, it may lessen some tension if they knew each other's names.
"I'm Devin, by the way. Devin Zacharaiah." He said politely.

" It took you long enough. My name is Lucinda. But since we won't be leaving each other any time soon, I suppose you could just call me Lily. My sister used to call me that. It's a sort of nickname I guess."
She said, Lowering her neck down, knowing he was expecting another ride. After all, she didn't plan on climbing down the other side of the mountain. She flared open her wings and got herself ready to make the long and endearing trip to Saundria. It would be a while before she could sleep safely again, but she pushed it to the back of her mind, focusing on the journey ahead. This would be quite an adventure.

" Hang on because it might get a little bumpy on the way down."

"Well, I'm sure as hell not going to let go..." He said with a chuckle, following her advice. Once again, he felt a rush of anticipation at the thought of flying once again. Of course, if he was to be bonded to someone like Lucinda... or "Lily", he may just have to become more acquainted with flying as he had when he was a boy.
"If you were to make any guesses, how long would it take for us to get where we're going?" He said, coughing a bit.

Relaxing as she encroached upon the edge of the mountain-top, she took in one more deep breath, exhaling for a moment and then proceeding to respond to Devin's question.
" As a guess, I would have to say at the very least a day if I only stop once or take a few quick breaks. At the very most, three days. Though I doubt it would come to that. "

Pressing her front claws into the ground, and crouching on the outermost cliff, she launched herself into the air, pushing off with such a force that it sent a jolt through her. A few good powerful flaps and she way in the air, flying above a desert terrain spotted with shrubs and fading grass where it collided with the forest. Though the temperature quickly rose, Lucinda (Lily) didn't even break a sweat in the process. Pressing further upwards, she tilted downward slightly and pulled her wings inward so they curved around her, leaving but a few feet between them and her body as she picked up speed and dove toward the sea of sand below her. The wind rustling her scales as she came down at an ever quickening speed, abruptly opening her wings like a parachute, slowing her to a cruising speed and soon to a complete stop as she landed with a thump on the ground, a cloud of sand rising around her claws.

"Well, I think it would be best if you made at least a few-- stooooooooops!!!"
Devin was caught off guard when Lily suddenly launched herself into the air, quickly soaring toward the desert. He clung tightly to her neck, the wind whining loudly in his ears. Yes... he would definitely have to get used to this...
If he hadn't been fully awake when they took off, the landing definitely jarred him to consciousness. A cloud of dust and sand swirled up around him, tickling the skin on his face, but he wasn't worried too much about it. He took deep breaths to slow his racing heart, still clinging tightly to the back of Lily's neck.

What was intended as mere snicker came out as a cheerful laugh at the way he was seemingly terrified as Devin clung to her neck. Her laughing was a rare thing to experience as it was something she hardly found reason to do but right now, she was laughing, a joyously amused laugh, able to be heard probably several meters off.
It took a bit for her to calm but as she did she sighed in content as she began to walk for a bit so Devin could calm his nerves.
" I'm glad to see you didn't have an aneurysm. I won't do that again I promise. I haven't done that in quite some time. It was very thrilling though. And the look on your face, oh, it was hilarious. You wouldn't have known if you were on fire you looked so surprised."

The sun flooding them with heat, she closed her wings over her back to create a shade for the startled human who clung to her neck. After all, she had been a little dramatic, she could've just drifted down if she had wanted to but she found that it would be interesting to see his reaction, it proving to be quite amusing.

"Oh, yeah... Laugh it up..." Devin said between shaky breaths, glaring at her.
He loosened his grip a bit, taking one last deep breath. Of course, he may have overreacted a bit, but it was still terrifying enough. As he listened to Lily's laughter, he couldn't help but shake the feeling that she did it on purpose. He pulled his hoodie off and folded it up, the desert heat beating down on his back.
Thinking over that little stunt, he couldn't help but chuckle at his own reaction. He could only imagine how amusing it would have been to see his own reaction. The very thought even turned his light chuckle into full-out laughter.
"Okay... yeah, you got me..." He said, shaking his head and smiling widely.

Spreading out her claws so she wouldn't sink down into the sand, she scoffed at his sense of humor. The heat was now starting to get to her as she picked up a scent she was all to familiar with. Rogue desert dragons. They were scavengers and very violent dragons that were banned from Saundria for crimes against Queen Bliss. Queen Bliss ruled over Saundria and she started it in the first place. But sometimes, things go wrong and that's were the rogues came from. The scent of a rogue was very potent, it smelled as if something had been torn apart and buried months ago, a simple way to define the scent, it smells like something died and has been in the sun for days. Even a human could easily smell it. With a lurch she turned her course away from it and she picked up the pace and she soon was running, moving her wings out almost like a plane and she took off into the sky, the wind rustling her scales sounding like chimes. She kept glancing to her sides and behind her, a worried look on her face. Hoping that the scent of Devin didn't waft onto a breeze, she made an attempt to keep calm as she flew slightly off course trying to keep from the rogues she had scented out. But she didn't know that they had already found her.

Smelling something in the air, Devin coughed a bit, the stench tingling in his nostrils. It smelled as if something died and been left in the sun for far too long, allowing decay to take it's toll. Waving a hand in front of his face, he was about to ask Lily what the stench was, but was once again caught off guard when she took off into the sky, a nervous look on her face. Grasping onto her neck, he glanced back in the oppisite direction where the odor had come from.
"Hey... what's going on? What is it?" He asked, his eyes nervously searching the distance.

She said one word before something slammed into her side sending a jolt that knocked you off flying towards the ground.
"Rogues."
A large dragon with armor like scales and a barbed tail had rammed into her. She fell sideways as she tried to straighten herself so she could go and get Devin before he smashed into the sand but she was hit again by a second and she tumbled out of the air, slamming into the ground as three of them landed around her, herself pushing off the ground, a fierce look on her face as she looked up to see Devin falling still and she spun around to catch him, proceeding to save him for a fourth time. The three strange desert dragons all had two wings for their front arms and only two had back legs. They snarled and growled at her, one of them lunging at her the other two holding their tails at their sides, ready to hit at her within a moment notice. They were circling her, all of them an empty look in their eyes as they closed in on Lily. She pulled her wings in over Devin to keep him safe though she couldn't fight them off for forever. She whipped around to face one who had gotten a little too close and had tried to pull her to the ground, snapping at him biting his snout as he jumped back and blood trickled down into the sand.

" Devin, Rogues can easily overpower me so if I tell you to run then you run and don't look back. Let's just hope it doesn't come to that."

Devin already had his pistol drawn and point at the nearest Rogue dragon, aimed between its eyes. He looked around, noticing that the rogues had surrounded them, and were closing in fast. A series of mixed tactics raced through his mind, but very few of them seemed promising enough to get them both out alive. He stayed fixed wear he was, taking deep breaths to calm his racing heart.
"Lily... I'd rather die than leave you behind." He stated, flinching when he heard one of the rogues hiss from behind her wings.

" hang on!" she said, louder than the rumbling of the dragons claws pounding into the sand as they fought, biting and clawing until she took one down and it quieted only to become that much louder. With one dead, the other two became enraged as they both lunged at her, throwing out their barbed tail so they could hit her, trying to inject poison. Dodging the first attempt, they jumped back and one repeated, the other moving around to her backside. The one that lunged at her missed by a lot but when he dodged she rammed right into the other one, a painful whine escaping her at the barb made it's mark and a wave of pain was sent through her along with a decent amount of poison. She tried to get away but she fell, her leg now limp and dragging. She was now crawling along the ground, snarling at the rogue to keep it at bay. It's hissing and slow creeping forwards was a sign that it was ready to kill when it wanted, knowing that unless a miracle came within the second, it would have a decent meal for later. But the miracle came. Wyren came and took down the two of them, his tail slamming into one and his massive jaws tearing into the other. He was one of the Queens best defenses and also a good friend of Lucinda's. He always came at the last second. But she couldn't think any more because she passed into a dull sleep due to the neutralizers in the poison.

desert_dragon_by_bluekite_falls-d4kcyv2.jpg ( this is Wryen)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.