Surprise in the Haystack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abele glanced over hesitantly, before he relaxed, relieved the other was dressed before leaving the room. He nodded to the request, deciding to ignore the bad grammar, because to be honest? It didn't really matter; he understood him just fine. So, that was that, and unless needed, he wasn't about to criticize him.

"Yea, yea. You can." He answered, stretching "My mom was making something for you, I think, so you can have that. I think she's making you something involving bread."

"Anything is great," Jacob said honestly. He followed Abele, walking at a normal pace despite wanting to run down to the food. He was famished. It had been at least a day since he'd had anything to eat at all. He placed a hand on his stomach, feeling it rumble with hunger. As they went to the kitchen, Jacob inhaled the scent of food and groaned. "Smells yummy," he mumbled. He couldn't take it anymore. Jacob ran forward to Abele's mother. "Food please!" He said eagerly. He knew basic niceties like the word please, but his social skills weren't great. It was usually first come first serve, so there was no way Jacob was giving up his spot next to Abele's mother.

This startled a laugh from the woman, who prepared a plat for him of what looked like a stew and a slice of bread, and held it out. She had anticipated that he was hungry, by the way he looked, so she made sure it was a rather large helping of food, hoping that it would rid him of his hunger.

"Eager! Here you go, here you go, no need to be hasty. Eat it slowly, or you'll choke." She replied, smiling.

Abele had since wandered out of the area, not really hungry at the moment, and deciding to head to his room. He figured that Jacob could handle himself now, considering he was washed up and all.

Jacob sat down at the small dinner table, spoon in one hand and bread in the other. He switched between spoonfuls of stew and bites of bread. Jacob was starving to put it lightly. "Thith so good!" he spoke around his food, stuffing his face. He wasn't a graceful eater, not that he could be when he lived with a group of men. It only took him under five minutes to finish her bowl of food. His mouth was dirty so he wiped it on the back of his hand. "That was really good ma'am," he said kindly. He was rather full now, although he could go for seconds. He looked longingly at the bowl of stew out in the kitchen. "May I have sum more?" He asked.

Celia smiled once more, and nodded "Take as much as you like. Well, actually, just save a bit. I doubt that Abele will stay away from it for long; he'll probably come back later to get some, and I'm not sure he'd appreciate it being all gone." She replied, though it was in a more light-hearted tone than anything.

Jacob smiled brightly at the woman in front of him. He'd never had much experience with women but she was most definitely his favorite. He ran to the pot, scooping out another helping of stew. He made sure to keep enough in the pot for Abele to eat too like his mother said. He returned to the table, eating at a much more normal pace. He looked around the kitchen, taking in everything while he ate. "You 'ave a real nice house lady," Jacob said, eyeing the kitchen. It was bigger than the tents the men would sleep in. The whole house was the size of their entire camp that fit about twenty of them.

Celia laughed once more, this time out of amusement. Then, she said "Oh? Thank you. I quite like it myself, and I think my family does also.".

And it was true. They all seemed to enjoy it. That was most likely because it was the only house they knew, though. Abele had lived in this house his whole live, as well as his sister and their father. There was no moving for anyone but Celia, who just adjusted to the place quite well. It was out in the country side, so that helped a lot; the fresh air, away from the city, was quite nice, and the land was beautiful.

Jacob nodded as he finished his food. His stomach stuck out a bit it was so full. He smiled at Celia and thanked her. He looked for somewhere to put the bowl. He found the sink and walked over peering inside. "What's this thing?" He asked curiously looking up at the woman. He looked back down at the sink and placed his bowl inside and just stared at it. "Is sumfin supposed to happen?" He asked, tilting his head curiously. When nothing happened, Jacob shrugged. "May I go look fer Abele?" Jacob asked, looking around for the older boy. He felt almost...lonely without him. He stuck out his lower lip, wondering where he'd gone off to.

Celia shrugged "That's a sink." She replied, then added "If you like. He's probably in his room at the moment; that's where he usually is, if he suddenly decides to get out of work for the day."

And, Abele was, laying on his bed and simply looking out the window. He was bored, but it was better than working. He wasn't in the mood for rolling down another hill; his back hurt enough for one day, if not a few. So, since he could, he was holding off on any other injuries he could possibly gain by doing one simple thing: just not working. His father would probably get him for it later, but he didn't care; he'd get over it eventually.

Jacob nodded and looked for Abele. He wandered the home until he found the proper room. He walked in looking around at Abele's things. "What's it like...having a bed?" He asked, looking over at the cushion that Abele was laying on. He really wanted to try it out himself but he'd learned long ago that there were grave consequences for stealing another man's bed. "Can I try it?" Jacob asked, staring at the cushion. It looked really soft. Staring at it, Jacob realized how tired his body was at that moment. He seemed to be noticing many things right now.

Abele glanced over at Jacob, before moving over so there was room for him. He wasn't going to deny the kid access to the bed; that'd be kind of cruel, since he didn't seem to have ever slept-or sat, even- on one before. It made the farm boy feel more than bad for him. After all, if he found the hay comfortable enough to sleep in, Abele could hardly imagine the sleeping conditions he had BEFORE he ran away from.....wherever he was in the first place.

"Yea, sure. You can try it." He responded, running a hand through his hair, before adding "And, it's nice? I've never been without one, so I don't really know what to compare it to."

Jacob walked over to the bed. He placed his hand on it, pressing downwards. It was soft, bringing a smile to his face. Jacob crawled on to the bed, laying down next to Abele. A laugh bubbled out of his throat, head falling to the side to look at the boy next to him. "It's so soft!" Jacob could feel his entire body relax in the warm sheets. His eyes became heavy as his body sank further into relaxation. "Do I get one?" He murmured softly. Jacob rolled on to his side to look at Abele, a hopeful look in his eyes. This bed was amazing.

"You can have mine." The boy said, shrugging "I don't care." Jacob seemed to enjoy it more, anyway. Besides, he did deserve it more, since it seemed that he hadn't even touched one before. That was kind of sad, to be quite honest, and he pitied the other boy.

He made sure he was basically pressed up against the wall, so the other wouldn't be directly pressed up beside him, and that Jacob would have more room in general. Easier for the both of them, really. He hoped he could snag a pillow or something from his mother tonight, so the floor would be a BIT more comfortable.

"Ya mean it?!" Jacob said excitedly. A large smile spread across his face. He was so happy he could hug Abele, but he didn't. Jacob rolled on to his back, staring up at the ceiling with a small smile. "D'ya think I could stay here?" He asked softly. He knew he'd be staying one night at least, but he wanted to stay forever. This place was like heaven on earth.

"...If you do a bit of work, sure." He replied, yawning a bit as he settled back into the bed "Can't stay for free; I don't even do that, unfortunately. I work the farm with my dad, so......yea. You could probably help mom around the house or something like that. Run errands, maybe.

"Works no problem. I used to do a lot of work, but I never got no fancy food or bed or nuthin'," Jacob said, sharing a bit more information than he intended. In fact, Jacob wanted to forget where he came from. He wanted to act like it never happened, but talking to Abele was easy. He didn't think the other would judge him or think him weak for not liking his past. Perhaps he could tell this boy...one day. "What else do ya do around here, when ya ain't working and things?" Jacob asked. His eyes were on Abele, studying his face. He was nice looking and Jacob felt the urge to curl up beside him.

Abele groaned a bit, covering his face "More work. I literally work and sleep and eat. That's, like it. Maybe read sometimes, but.....yea. Not much. Most of the time, it's like I previously said." he grumbled "Not that I'm one to talk here or anything."

And he wasn't, and hoped his attitude towards his own life hadn't offended Jacob or anything. If it had, then he had messed up more then a little bit. He was prepared to apologize for it, though. He wasn't bad enough to just not. While he didn't like admitting he messed up, he still did it.

"You can read!" Jacob gasped sitting up. He looked at Abele like he was some kind of super hero, and to Jacob he was. Jacob scooted closer to Abele, looking down at his folded hands. He felt scared to ask, but he wanted to know. Jacob wanted to learn to read. He'd tried getting folks in the merchant group to teach him but they never got around to it or just flat out told him no. "Would...uh....could you maybe um," Jacob squirmed. "Could you....C-Could you teach me....how to r-read?" Jacob looked up at Abele with his large green eyes full of hope. His heart was hammering in his chest and he felt like his nerves were fried.

At first, Abele looked a bit surprised. He hadn't actually thought that Jacob couldn't read. He just assumed he could, and went off of that. Apparently, he had been wrong. Then, he grimaced. He was a horrible teacher, so it probably wouldn't work out well, even if he wanted to. Which, he actually did want to help, but due to the previous point, he really couldn't.

"I'm horrible at teaching stuff. Ah, my mom and dad are good though? If you want them to?" He replied awkwardly, rubbing the back of his head with one hand.

At first Jacob was disappointed. He visibly deflated and looked dejectedly at his lap. When Abele suggested Jacob go to Abele's parents, he shrugged. To him, it sounded just like the others. "Oh...its...its alright I guess," Jacob felt...hurt? He didn't understand why he was so upset but he was. Jacob stood, feeling slightly embarrassed. "I...I'm gonna go uh...out...outside," he murmured looking at his feet. He lingered for just a moment before heading outside. He walked around the property, kicking rocks with his toe. Jacob mentally berated himself for getting his hopes up. He knew better than that but still he did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.