Stumbled Into (Taken)

It was only after Darian had returned that he realized just how nervous Ella might have felt being alone, but he highly doubted anyone would try anything in the middle of the market square. And yet stranger things had happened before. "I just needed to pick up a little surprise..." he said deciding to leave it at that because he really did want to keep it a secret. It had been expensive and yet... Darian couldn't recall ever feeling quite like he did around Ella. He liked her, he liked her a lot. And with this he could show her in a way that she was used to. "Shall we go home?"

They made their way back to the home it was getting somewhat late, Darian smiled as he told her that he'd take her dress upstairs for her. Walking up the stairs he made a detour to one of the supply closets. There was an old vase his mother had given him when he'd gotten the home. She said to use it to brighten up the place. It was a clear crystal vase meant for a single flower. It's neck was long and slender and the base slightly wider for stability. He filled it with a little water and then made his way to her room. Placing the dress on her bed he then went to the small desk by her bed and set the vase down. Carefully he positioned the stem at the mouth of the vase and lifted the bag off. In the darkened room the silver white flower did seem to glow slightly. He wondered if that was the magic, it captivated him for a moment. Then he breathed and wondered just what Ella would think.

Ella wasn't sure what to do as she waited for Darian to come back downstairs. She was curious as to what the thing in the bag was, and why Darian said it was a surprise. Was it really that much of a surprise? Or maybe he was going to kick her out. She frowned, not wanting that to happen. She played with her hair, braiding different pieces of it out of sheer boredom. She watched servants run around, cleaning the house for their master.

Now that it was in her room Darian wasn't quite sure what he wanted to do to have her see it... perhaps he should just call her up to the room. But would that be awkward? Perhaps but at the same time he felt like she should find it in the room. That way she could pick it up if she wanted to. A smile crossed his face as he lifted his eyes to the door. Picking the old dress up he moved to the closet to hang it up and then he made his way over to the door.

It took him only a few moments to make his way downstairs, she was braiding her hair and looking somewhat bored. The few servants he had running about were trying to clean. Walking over to her he smiled, "Come here, I want to show you something that I got for you..." Taking her hand he led her up the stairs and down the hall to her room. Opening the door slowly he let her walk inside first. "I remembered what you told me about the courting customs of your people, I..." he wasn't sure what else to say at the moment. "I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say or ask you at the moment or what other customs there are with the Amorus flower. If any..."

When Darian took her hand, she blushed and let him lead her to her room. Her jaw soon dropped when she saw the flower he had for her. She held a hand to her mouth, overcome with joy and confusion. "D-Darian... How did you find this?" She asked, staring at the flower. She walked slowly over to it, afraid to touch it. "It's usually a flower no human can ever find... Even the fae have trouble finding it unless procuring it from some magic man!" She reached out hesitantly, touching the silvery petals. They instantly bloomed into a vibrant green, the same color of the newborn leaves in late spring.

She smiled before frowning and turning to Darian. "Darian... I can't accept your courtship... I don't even understand why you would want to court me... You're a man of high standing. You deserve a beautiful woman with a charming wit. I'm just a slave, someone born to serve. You should be out courting a human woman who can be there for you. I'm sure you noticed the whisperings. The pure fae have followed us here. They'll attack you again. I'll just bring you pain and suffering." Her green eyes filled with unshed tears. She wanted to be with the man. If she could have, she would have been born into the royal fae so she could have their acceptance. Then maybe she wouldn't be so worried of bringing this man down as she hid from her pursuers.

The instant he saw her face he felt the warmth and joy of what he thought to be success. She was sure to accept his courtship, the look on her face said it all as she walked over. She then touched the petals and just as she'd said they turned the most beautiful green. It reminded him of spring, blooming flowers, and lush plants. Something that Darian now associated with her. Her color just seemed to fit her personality.

However his joy was short lived as she turned to him with a frown and began to list off all of the reasons why she felt this would never work out. Her eyes were full of tears and she seemed heartbroken. Darian's countenance fell as he witnessed this, they were good reasons, if Darian had cared about dating a human woman. Why did the pure fae even want her in the first place? They'd leave her alone eventually, right? And even if they didn't would he care? Walking towards her he reached a hand out and touched her shoulder looking into her eyes so that she knew he was serious about every word he would say to her.

"Ella, I don't care about your being a slave. To me you're Ella, the most beautiful girl I've ever met. I'll take your smile and your care for plants and life over a charming wit any day." Something came over him in that moment and he reached his hand up to her cheek placing the back of the tips of his fingers against her skin as if prepared to wipe away any tears that might fall. "I don't know why they are so interested in you, but I don't care. I can't bear the thought of you leaving and falling back into their hands to serve such cruel people. I want to help you, I want to hide you, but most of all..." He took a breath, "I want to be with you. Call me crazy Ella but I've never felt so curious about a woman before. Never felt so driven to want to see someone smile or to hear someone laugh. I feel that way about you and," he smiled as he looked into her eyes. "Judging by that look you feel that way to. I'll risk anything they can throw at me."

Ella's lip quivered as she felt tears fall down her face. "I don't want you to get hurt..." She whimpered. Finally, she broke down, wrapping her arms around him and burying her face in his chest. She sobbed, unsure what to do. This human made her feel warm inside, but she had the power to kill him with one single twitch. She didn't want to risk it, but he made her feel safe, feel loved. What was a faerie to do?

In moments she was crying with her face in his chest, her arms wrapped tightly and warmly around him. He didn't enjoy seeing her like this and yet he knew it was because she was tore inside about what she was going to do. However this only seemed to solidify the fact that she did like him, she did enjoy his presence. To him it meant that she really did want this she just didn't want him to get hurt. "I know I'll have you to protect me Ella," he said slowly, remembering how she'd handled herself in front of those fae back in that small town. It was strange because he felt such power and such hurt in her.

"You have a pure heart and you protected me with it, without killing those men. That took great strength. Besides..." He spoke softly as he wrapped his own arms around her. "I've been known to protect myself a time or too, maybe not against my father I'll leave him to you." He smiled remembering how well she'd handled him, far more calm and better than he ever could. He didn't want to force her into this but he knew that some part of her really wanted this, in his mind the bigger half. "I promise I'll be fine," With a moments hesitation he leaned down and brushed his lips against her cheek in a soft kiss taking away a tear with them.

Ella blushed and simply held Darian tighter. A knock came from the window. It was the little faerie, looking a bit in disapproval as he pointed to the sky, showing it was night time. He then flew off, wings shining blue against the night sky. Ella moved away from Darian and wiped away her tears. "I need to think for a little bit, Darian... this is a big decision." She sniffled, sitting down. Her wings now showing as she looked out the window. They moved so slowly it almost seemed like they were standing still. She ran a hand through her hair, curling her toes.

Darian watched as she blushed so cutely and then the knock came from the window. It was the same faery he'd caught nothing but a glimpse of before. It seemed rather annoyed that Darian wasn't already outside, he had forgotten that they had scheduled to meet. However it seemed a good opportunity had presented itself in the fact that Ella wanted to think about all of this. She pulled away from him, Darian felt the warmth of her hug falling away but he knew that he couldn't force her. This was something that she needed to decide for herself. Watching her he smiled, "I understand... I'll go for a walk and return shortly, take as long as you need."

Some part of him wished that he hadn't caused this conflict within her, but what would they have done? Lived forever an arms length away? Letting the pain of never being close fester? Perhaps he was moving quickly but the look in her face, the way that she seemed to gravitate towards him, she felt the same way. She was just scared for him and scared of the people that were following her. Part of Darian was scared of them as well. But he didn't want to just sit around and let this time they had together pass by.

Walking out of the door of his home he set his way down the darkening path into the woods around his home. The fae was likely already watching him, "I normally like to deal with people by at least knowing a name. Mine is Darian, am I privileged to know yours? And why can't Ella know about this meeting?"

"Why she can't know isn't important right now." The faerie said, sitting in a tree. "However, you do know it is only proper custom to ask the young lady's father to court her if you are going to give her that kind of flower." He flew down to stand in front of Darian, growing in size from his tiny form. He was a tall man, long shaggy salt and pepper hair and a tanned face. He was starting to get a few wrinkles, but wasn't quite that old yet. He was well-built and looked like he could have been a knight. His green eyes and smile seemed familiar though...

When the small fae announced that it was her father Darian was skeptical, almost scoffed at the idea. That was before he flew down and began to change his appearance to that of an older man. Tall with a smile and eyes that seemed to come right from Ella. Darian stood in shock at the turn of events and took a step back almost scared of what the man would do. Human father's were known to be very protective of their daughters with the idea that no man could be good enough for their daughters. Magic would definitely give this man an advantage over Darian.

It also begged a question however, why was it not important that Ella knew her father was here? Why had this man allowed her to become a slave. "What are you doing here? And you'd better have a very good reason why I shouldn't tell Ella that her father is here. I'm sure she'd want to know." He stopped himself from asking too many questions but instead stepped forward. Looking eye to eye with the man. "If you are her father why are you here? Surely not just to demand I ask your permission to court your daughter?"

"What makes you think I am her father?" The fae asked, observing Darian carefully. "You assume things too quickly. I never said I was her father, I simply stated that it was proper custom to ask permission to court. As for why Ella must not know... there are eyes everywhere on her. If I did anything with her around, I would be caught and killed." The man said, his green eyes skeptical and almost all seeing. He noted everything about this Darian, his posture, his hair color, even the tone of his voice. The man's blue wings fluttered carefully, showing the man's restlessness.

Darian's eyes widened for a moment as he realized the truth of what the little blue faery was saying. Nodding he suddenly was a bit embarrassed, "Alright point taken." He listened intently as the man told him about needing to keep their meeting secret and quiet. It seemed that he was risking his life to come here, but why? What was so important that these fae wanted to hurt or capture Ella? Stepping forward he smiled, "Well then thank you for your protection." Taking a look around Darian suddenly began to realize that he might want to keep a more vigilant eye open.

"Tell me though, why are you here? Why did you want to meet with me?" Darian grew quite serious, knowing that this man had likely gone through a bit of trouble to get to where he was.

"Well, I wanted to make sure the man that took the young girl I had been looking for since my wife died giving birth to her wasn't part of the whole pure fae stealing away royal fae children tabocle." The man said with a smile though his eyes showed no humor. He had a sword at his hip, ready to be drawn when he was ready. He meant business.

"Your wife?" Now Darian was properly confused and he began to wonder if he really was just dreaming about meeting this fae or if he was simply enjoying a quiet evening in his bed. "I thought you said that she wasn't your daught..." he stopped himself when he realized what the man had said. That the pure fae were taking the royal children from them. "Wait, the royal fae have had their children taken? When I met Ella, she was a slave to a pure fae. She saved my life and then we ran away. I took her into town and tried to keep her hidden and we made our way back here. Are you saying that Ella is a royal fae?"

"Again, you keep assuming. Humans always assume so much from how we talk. You would never survive a battle of the wits." The man said with a laugh. "I never said she was my daughter, nor did I say she wasn't. That is for you to figure out. I simply said my wife gave birth to her. She could have had an affair. And Ella said she was neither royal nor pure, did she not? Why would I say something to contradict what she knows?" The man yawned a bit as he looked over Darian. "However, you were correct in saying that the royal fae are having their children taken, but only a select few with select traits. Boys with brown hair, green eyes, and beautiful wings. They happened to take the one they were looking for, but never realized it."

This man was speaking in riddles, "Please sir, just be straight with me... what do you know about Ella? I know that she is particularly special but I don't know why." He spoke his mind was swimming with facts but he'd determined that this man had to be her father. He knew too much about her and the hair and smile were unmistakable. Tonight was turning out to be confusing and wonderful, but this man... he was strange. Odd. Darian wasn't sure what his plan was. "Why were they looking for her? Why do they want access to her power?"

"Well, I'm not quite sure myself." The man said, green eyes smug. "When you figure that out, tell me." With that, the faerie was gone. Disappeared with only a bit of strange blue dust left behind. It seemed that Darian wasn't getting any more information out of the man. The forest was quiet for a moment before the hoots of owls and night creatures started to pop up, surrounding Darian.

A thought seemed to cross Darian's mind as he looked at the blue dust now floating in the air, he swiped through it slowly with his hand. The man had to be her father, he just wanted to make sure that this man in her life was the correct one. It made him laugh as he realized just how little information he'd gotten from the man. It seemed a possibility but at the same time Darian wasn't sure. It annoyed him to know that he'd come expecting answers and only got half answers and riddles in return. Shaking his head he took one last look, "Who are you?" With that he turned around to return home.

Walking back in through the door went into his study, surrounded by his books and files he felt like he could think here. What did the man mean that she was neither royal nor pure, yet they wanted her for some reason. He stayed in there but then decided that it was something he would need more time on. Turning to look up the stairs he wasn't sure if Ella had enough time to think. Darian didn't want to rush her. He decided to walk back upstairs and go into his room, figuring that if she had made her decision she would hear him and come to find him.

Darian could feel arms wrap around him after he passed Ella's room. Behind him stood Ella, wings out and glittering. Her hair was damp, showing she had just bathed. She buried her head into Darian's back, breathing in his scent. She just needed this to be her final proof she needed to stay. She wanted him to stay with her, so she would respond accordingly. He felt the same way, which made her heart flutter. She couldn't wait for the courting to begin. She wasn't sure what humans did for courting, or fae for that matter. She just cleaned up their rooms after late night hugs and kisses.