Stumbled Into (Taken)

It must have been an entirely new world to Ella, the market... there were people bustling about looking for this and that, exchanging money and services. THe bands played in the streets to fill the air with a mixture of voices and music. Very unlike the fae in his mind whose instruments just seemed to combat one another. Perhaps there was more to it, than that... he'd only heard the battle music. "Let's see what Martha can do first and then we'll go to one of the seamstresses." Taking her hand he led Ella to the door and opened it for her.

The small shop was dark and filled with various plants, animal parts, and symbols. Darian felt a strange presence in the room and looked around for it's source. There in the back of the store sitting on an old chair was the silhouette of a large old woman. The years had dragged her body down but her face curled into a smile. "What brings such an odd couple to my home?" Her voice was raspy as she spoke but it was not unkind. Standing she beckoned them over and once they were farther into the shop she looked directly at Ella. "You don't need to hide your true self here girl, unless you're trying to steal this man away into the woods!" She began to laugh, "But something tells me that this man knows what you really are."

Ella's eyes hardened. "If you really know what I am then please stop with the silly myths. My people try their hardest to keep the humans out of our problems." She said a bit coldly. "It is hard enough dealing with one stubborn race. We do not need to deal with two right now." She stayed close to Darian, already not liking the woman. She knew too much already. It was making her nervous as her wings fluttered protectively behind her.

Martha held her hand up and smiled once again, stopping her laughter. "I meant no disrespect child... but you must know that there are those among your people who take a human for a companion. I was merely assuming that you were planning on doing the same." She stopped for a moment as she looked at the two of them.

Darian stepped in, choosing his words carefully, "Martha, we have come by for a simple palm read..." he neither confirmed nor denied what she seemed to suggest but before he could continue she cut him off.

Martha stood and made her way over to the chair across from her. Making a gesture which meant for one of them to sit down.

Darian looked over at Ella, she was a bit flustered from that last comment and perhaps it wouldn't be a great time to visit Martha. "Ella," he whispered to her, "You don't have to do this if you don't want to. We can go."

Ella ignored Darian for the most part and sat down. "Let's start." She said, holding out her hand, palm up. She felt a bit alone without Darian right next to her, but she wanted to get her palm read and she was going to do it damn it! For once in her life she was going to do something she wanted. Her wings fluttered quickly, causing a bit of a draft to form in the place.

Watching the girl she seemed determined to do this, Martha only smiled, she sensed a goodness from inside of her that she did not sense in most fae. Though Martha had to admit she hadn't read the palms of too many before. Taking her by the hand she stared into the girl's palm and concentrated. There was an intense power within this girl it was strange, "You are strong for a fae, your magic is unlike what I have felt before..." her words trailed off as she seemed to slip into concentration.

"You will be called to do a great thing only you have the power to do." Her eyes narrowed for a moment and she moved closer to her hand. "I sense that there is something in your past you have yet to figure out but it will help shape your future. Especially when it comes to this great decision you must make. However you need to choose wisely, there will be forces trying to take advantage of the situation. Look to those you trust in those times..."

Ella blinked, a bit surprised. "You're wise... Thank you." She said quietly, bowing her head before standing up, a bit scared at what she foretold. What exactly would be this choice she would have to make. She moved toward Darian and stood close, reaching for his hand. She wanted comfort but was afraid to show it. Her wings slowed to near stillness.

Martha nodded to the young fae before smiling, "Is there anything else I can do for the two of you?" Her voice raised in question as she looked directly at Darian. It was strange, she could feel the man's desire. A simple flower was all he wanted to give to her for her heart.

Darian saw that Ella had come very close, she was so close these past few days it was strange for him. He could tell that she wanted something from him, her hand reached out to his own and he smiled. Reaching out he met hers halfway and squeezed it gently. Letting her know he was there. The words of the reading seemed to be echoing in his mind and he wasn't sure what they all meant. However Ella was stronger then most he'd seen.

Martha's question finally reached his ears, Darian's eyes rose to find hers looking directly at him. Without a word Martha stood and walked over, grabbing a piece of parchment and writing coal. She wrote down a single name and handed it to him. "I do not need to read your palm to know what you want, here is the man who will have what you seek. Tell him that I sent you."

Looking down at the paper he recognized the man as a well known seed seller, his wife was one of the best florists in town. Yet he'd never seen a flower like the one Ella described in their store. "Thank you," he mumbled out quickly before turning to leave. And they were on their way deeper into the market. Darian kept a hold of Ella's hand taking her from stall to stall. Cloth of the finest make and design were before her. "Anything catch your eye?" He asked her simply.

Ella frowned. Though the clothes were attractive, she didn't feel right. They felt too... fancy for someone like her. Instead she walked toward a modest little stall with Darian, looking through the clothes there. Most of the clothes were for the middle class people, but were fairly inexpensive. She looked through, unsure of what to pick since she had just had her clothes picked for her before this.

Darian allowed himself to be led to the next little stall, it seemed Ella did not want the more expensive items of clothing. And yet... Darian wondered how she would look in such clothes. They seemed almost too frilly and out of place for a girl who enjoyed her bare feet on the soil and her time in the gardens. She found a stall that sold beautiful dresses and the like for a little bit under class. And yet Ella still seemed slightly lost, out of place.

A wise old man had been watching the couple with interest, perhaps because it was his stall and the boy looked like he had money. But he sensed that neither of them had much of a knowledge of what they needed to do. He was more than happy to oblige. With skillful hands and a quick memory he pulled a beautiful dark green dress with elbow length sleeves which ended in a bit of white. The back was open but laced with white ribbon and there was a large red bow tied around the waist. "Try it on, my dear." His voice was hoarse with age but he had an air of wisdom about him. "Tell me what you think or what you're looking for. I'm sure my wife has something around here."

"Oh! Um, thank you, sir..." Ella said, a bit shy. She noticed a changing stall and quickly moved to change into the dress. She was in there for a little bit, trying to figure out how to wear the dress but soon came out. She walked up to Darian, looking a bit shy as she held her other dress. "Wh-what do you think?" She asked, walking up to the stall. She kicked the ground a bit, feeling like they would hit her.

It was true, Darian had thought that Ella was absolutely beautiful, a simple type of beauty that showed though her eyes, her hair, and the way she looked. She was sad and yet it only seemed to add to the appeal of her. And yet this simple beauty stood before him and all he could do was stand and watch as she walked to him. Looking for his opinion on the dress. True, she had remained quite simple, opting for something less expensive, however her beauty had become more refined. Accentuated with the bows, the soft green, white, and red.

He stood for a moment while the old man just smiled, looking at the man. It was obvious to him that they had barely met, but where he'd met such a strange girl. She looked almost ashamed to be wearing something like that. It was only a simple dress, nothing more...

Darian finally worked up the courage enough to say something, "You look wonderful Ella, simply beautiful..." he told her with a soft voice as he looked her over. It was true.

Looking at the girl the old man smiled, "I must agree with the young man, you look very pretty young miss. What else would you like? We have shoes and jewelry as well if you'd like."

"If... If it's alright, some shoes would be nice." Ella said, holding the dress to her. "Th-thank you, Darian." She said quietly to the man who had saved her from slavery, shy in these new clothes. The faerie from before smiled, invisible to the others. He chuckled as he watched the two interact, noticing that Ella's wings fit through the dress beautifully. The little 'princess' was growing up lovely.

Darian smiled as she thanked him in a strange way she was very cute when she stuttered like that but he knew that it was her old life that was coming back to her. Walking forward he smiled, "You're more then welcome," while he spoke to her he took her hand and squeezed it once to let her know he was there for her. Then he took the dress from her hands so that she wouldn't have to carry it with her.

The old man nodded, "Of course you can! Your courtier has money doesn't he?" The old man began to laugh, she was definitely a strange girl. "Right this way." He then made his way over to the other side of his stall. There was a small elevated cushion, "Please sit," he motioned to the chair and then disappeared for a moment. Producing a few pairs of shoes. Taking another look at her feet he looked like he was thinking and then he grabbed another pair before coming back to her. Kneeling in front of her he placed a pair of black heeled shoes on her feet, tying the straps over the foot and ankle. He had a couple pairs of flats, as well as a pair of boots as well. But he wanted to get a feel for her tastes.

While Ella was trying on shoes Darian couldn't help but feel like something was out of place, something felt strange on the back of his neck. Perhaps they had tracked him back to town... but why? All they had lost was a slave, why was she so important to them? Surely not her magic, she was a slave, if they wanted to use her magic there had to be a 'better' way of using her. The feeling was strange but he looked around anyway just to see if something seemed out of the ordinary.

Ella felt strange trying on the shoes. It was different and made her toes curl from the sudden softness. She tilted her head at the different shoes, unsure why each looked so different. The heeled shoes felt strange on her feet. She stood up, having seen her master's children do this when they tried on new shoes and wobbled, a bit unused to having anything lifting her feet up. She was quite the mystery to the humans as she sat back down, moving to take the shoes off herself. She fiddled with the straps and took them off, glad to have the strange shoe off of her foot.

The faerie noticed Darian's tenseness and flew up to him, whispering in his ear, "Not all fae are trying to kill you. If you want to know more, come to the forest after you return home. Make sure Ella does not know of this." He then flew away, off to prepare his explanations for the human after he was done shopping with the young girl.

The old man had never seen a woman try to take her own shoes off, more importantly not those shoes off... they were the most expensive pair he owned and in a style which most women her age were getting used to and liking. For a moment he was too shocked to move he just knelt there and looked over at her suitor, he seemed to be staring off into space for no reason. Taking the shoe he then went to put on of the flat shoes he had for her, he had them in a soft white as well as a slipper like shoe in black. "I see the heels are not comfortable for you?" He asked with a smile getting over the shock he'd experienced.

Darian heard the voice but could barely see the small fae he moved very quickly and then, after he'd said his piece he was gone. Like a momentary illusion. Was this what Ella's people were really like? That fae seemed far more like the ones he'd seen in story books. The words seemed to muddle over in his mind about where to be. Perhaps the little fae was speaking the truth and he would be able to learn more about Ella, yet he could also be trying to distract him to take Ella back. Looking over at Ella, there was really only one way to find out... with that he determined to go to the forest that night.

However there were a few matters to take care of first... walking over to Ella he smiled, "Enjoying shoes?" He said wondering how they felt to someone who had never had to wear them before. Darian had grown up wearing them, to him they were second nature.

Ella shook her head. "I can never understand why women want to wear such things." She looked over at Darian and shrugged a bit. "They're... different." She said, liking the feel of the flats better than the heels. She tilted her head as she looked at them, pointing her foot a bit as she tried to figure out how they made these shoes. They seemed like a magic within itself to her. After all, a slave never wears shoes.

Of course Darian had to admit that she seemed just a little out of place in shoes. Like they didn't quite fit with the normal part of herself. However a question came to his mind that might help Ella make a little better transition. "Excuse me sir, do you have anything more open? That won't restrict her toes?" His voice was courteous to the man who was finding it strange to have a woman who'd never worn shoes.

"Where did you find her sir, that's she's never worn shoes? In the forest?" the old man shook his head as he asked and then seemed to brighten for a moment. "I think I might have just the thing." Walking back to where he kept his shoes he pulled out a small pair of sandals. They were somewhat flat but completely open toed with a single strap across the top of the foot to keep the sandal on her feet. And they heel that they did have was small, it also had a strap running over her ankle for a little more support. "How about these?" He told her as he slipped them on.

After feeling them for a moment, Ella smiled. "They're perfect. Thank you sir." She curtsied to the man, happy with her new shoes. She turned to Darian and curtsied again. "Thank you." She said simply, a smile still on her face. She had never had these kinds of shoes before. They made her feet feel free yet protected. It was a strange feeling, but she liked it.

The old man felt accomplished and thankful that the eastern merchant had come by so long ago, he'd never really found anyone that would look twice at them yet she told him that they were perfect. A smile crossed his face and he nodded. "It was my pleasure, my dear... you have quite an exotic taste in shoes it seems." Getting back up off the ground he then looked at Darian.

Pulling his coin-purse out Darian began to deal with the man. They settled on a fair price, and Darian paid for everything. Darian kept the other dress for Ella, they would keep it at the home. It might come in handy at some point. Perhaps she would rather sleep in a simpler dress like this one. With that he walked over to Ella and took her hand. They walked to a small shop which baked good. Particularly sweets. One was a jelly filled roll, he picked two strawberry ones and then gave one to Ella. "Try these," he said with a smile. After a few moments he walked her over to a fountain, "I need to go pick one more thing up but it's a surprise, wait for me here. I don't think it'll take too long.

With that he left her and went to the florists shop which Martha had told him about, he mentioned Martha's name and the man seemed to smile. "Ah, here for something not most can see... please step in." With that Darian followed the man into the back and saw a beautiful small arrangement of flowers which Darian had seen nowhere else. "What are you looking for in particular?"

"Amorus," Darian stated as he stared in awe at the strange looking flowers before him.

The old man continued to smile, "I see... have a lover, and you want to court properly. You've chosen well and I have just the thing." He went to the back of the arrangement and chose a large beautifully white and silver flower. He used a cloth to pick it up and smiled. It was large, beautifully blooming, and almost radiant against the other flowers. He could see why the fae favored it. "Do not touch it yourself, place it in a vase of water when you return home. I'll bag it for you." The man then placed the flower into a bag which could easily be placed in water and then removed. "The first touch belongs to her and it will turn to her favorite color. If she doesn't touch it, it's not meant to be..."

Darian paid for the flower and carried it gingerly back to Ella, "I'm back."

Ella had tried one of the sweets by the time Darian came back and stood up. "What did you need to do?" She asked, looking at the bag in curiosity. She felt nervous in the place alone, but felt better when Darian came back. It was strange watching the humans walk around and laugh together. None seemed to have servants that the fae would have. They showed off how much wealth they had with jewelry while the fae showed it off in slaves. She looked around, wondering if there was anything else they had to do.