Strength in Differences

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nik chuckled softly at that wink, careful not to jar his ribs, but amused nonetheless and genuinely growing calmer now as he looked down at her - and honestly, as it sunk in that his family truly was no longer here and he could do such things without them breathing down his neck. A thoughtful expression. "Well, I am afraid I'm not much accomplished in any of the finer arts. I know a great deal of weapons but that won't help me here." He gestured around slightly with a hand and smiled a bit more, eyes catching a little girl dancing to the sound of a flute.

"My werewolves tell me that I can dance, but I am not sure a spider down the shirt and my hopping around trying to get it out qualifies as dancing." He shook his head slightly at the memory and then looked back down to Kaulu, releasing her gently so that she could move away or lead where she desired, not wanting to hinder her from being near her people if she wished. "Still, despite my protests on the matter, they insist to this day that I can dance or should learn to. It depends on which wolf you ask."

His head tilted, white hair brushing into his eyes. "The drums you said? When did you start learning?"

Kaulu chuckled at the image of Nik dancing in the silly manner he described. "I think you'd dance just fine," she replied sincerely. He had that certain grace for it. When she was let go, she led them to a couple of chairs that was close enough to people to get their attention and talk to, but also secluded enough to have some privacy for their own conversations.

"I started playing the drums when my hands and mind were able to grasp the concept." She looked towards the pool of water, watching as people, mostly women, started to dance to the beat of the drums and flutes and fiddle. Children joined in soon enough, some begging their dads to dance with them.

Nik merely nodded slightly at her words, following her as she sat and he listened to her speak further as he followed her gaze out to her people. It was clear to the Sidhe that she cared for them greatly and it made him all the more interested in all the interactions he saw. His own people were so formal and high-strung, even with each other. It was merely how their race was. The lower-born Sidhe were slightly less aloof, a bit more relaxed, but no nicer to those of the outside world, no less powerfully against the presence of other races and just as arrogant in their mindset of being above everyone else.

Those of the higher class didn't try at all to be decent. They were cold, so very distant and powerful, mysteriously so and often dark. These were the people Nik had grown up with, the people he'd been raised by. He was nothing like them and that itself was a mystery with an answer that was actually very simple. Well, one answer anyway. The other was a bit more complicated. Either way, this social gathering, the lighthearted laughter and joy he could sense, was just as much a new experience for the Sidhe as the desert itself was.

"Are your people always so happy?" The question came without hesitation, but quiet and Nik glanced back to his new wife. "I do not consider it a bad thing, I assure you, but it is...strange to me nonetheless. You people seem very kind and carefree. Is this the way they always are?"

Last edited:
Kaulu looked to Nik, meeting his gaze before she slowly looked back to her people as she contemplated her answer. "My people have learned over the years to trust one another. Outsiders are still met with guardedness and solemnness, but here, in our own home... it is like nothing else matters, as long as we have each other. And the desert. We have earned our right of living after adapting to it." She paused for a few moments, licking her lips as her eyes watched hands beat against drums.

"But we still have our traditions and our rules. For example, a Chaktawe is considered nothing if he cannot read the desert. And if he is lazy, he is said not to be worth his water," she says this as she pats her stomach firmly, where the unique water-storing organ lay. "Certain people, the exceptional in arts, healing, tracking and hunting, are revered more than others. But we are still one as a people, and my father tries his best to keep everything equal and everybody happy."

"That sounds very different from my own people." Nik answered after a time, his eyes back those around them, thoughtful and solemn. His arm wrapped around his ribs absentmindedly, not so secretive about it anymore as Kaulu had already figured out he was hurt. She just didn't know how badly and he didn't need to disclose that information, but he also didn't need to keep pretending that it didn't cause pain every every time he inhaled, no matter how shallow the breath. Still, the pain didn't show on his face, nothing there but a deep consideration of what she'd told him because to Kaulu it might have just been describing her people, but to Nik it had been a road-map of how he should behave, too.

He could only hope he could fit better into this puzzle than the one created by his own people.

"Sidhe don't trust anyone outside of their own families and even then there can be great discord within families. They despise outsiders and abhor any...mistake in their culture. Sidhe place value on beauty and riches, and bloodlines. If you have all three, you are above most reproach and if you don't you're invisible...if you're lucky. Those with powers like light, art, prophecy, moon-casting or stone-casting are held in high esteem with lesser powers falling to the wayside."

Nik frowned, tilting his head slightly to get his hair out of his pale eyes. "A Sidhe is considered nothing if they can't sense the stone and the earth or if their bloodline is impure. Above all else, a Sidhe must know the earth and respect it and they must be pure. Those are the two greatest laws in my culture, though, they are not the only ones. It is a different life than your own, but I think it can be just as harsh as the desert can be in different ways."

Kaulu listened to Nik's words. For a culture who hated outsiders and impurities in their society, it was unfathomable how the Sidhe had agreed for an arranged marriage with a nation they had been at war with for so long. She had no idea how she would do when they moved to his home, but she supposed she'd do her best and adapt to the cold atmosphere. She would have to.

She didn't say anything for a long while. She didn't know what to say, really. "Will we have our own home there?" she asked him. If they were to have their own home, and not stay in the monarch's castle, then maybe it would be a bit better... not having so many people to watch and judge your every move.

Nik caught the unease in her voice and cursed himself for speaking of such things so soon. The first day as a married couple and what did he do? Told her how horrible his people were...even if that was mostly true, though, his perception might be a bit skewed. The white-haired Sidhe grimaced to himself and then gave a sigh, looking back down at the smaller female, for the first time resisting the urge to reach out and place his palm against her head, to feel the raven locks that glistened so brightly in the firelight against his skin. It wasn't a lustful drive that tempted him but rather a desire to comfort instead. Nik denied it, though, not knowing how she would react and not ready to be so familiar with her anyway. He was pretty sure neither of them were. It was an instinctual reaction, nothing more. There wasn't any true depth of emotion behind it and that's why he didn't do it.

"Yes. We'll have our own home. It will be within the palace grounds, but it will be ours."

His pale blue eyes met her black, apology within his own. "I am sorry if I have distressed you. It was not my intention. You will be treated with respect by my kin, I assure you." Even if they would make it clear they didn't desire her presence within their culture. Nor would she be given any warmth or true welcome. Nik knew they'd only be there two or three months for the alliance's sake, though, before the Sidhe would be more than willing to send them both back again.

"It is harder to adjust to the underground than it is the surface. You won't be required to stay long." He hoped that would be something of a comfort...maybe.

Last edited:
The answer allowed Kaulu to relax and she let out a quiet breath before their eyes met once more. His pale eyes were apologetic, something that she was sure he allowed to be shown, and her face softened. "It's all right, I know you didn't mean anything by it." She already knew how his people acted, at least the basics, and he had only confirmed it.

"I'm sure it won't be so bad," she replied to the adjustment situation, trying to give him the same sort of comfort, maybe? Or reassurance. He had heard the desert song, she was sure of it, so maybe she would find a similar spark underneath the earth. After all, sand and dirt were one in the same, both part of the same earth. The only thing she would have to get used to was the sun shining no more down on her bronze skin.

Nik nodded back to her, accepting her words even if he wasn't sure he actually believed them, but he'd already said enough tonight to make her worry if she wanted to and he wouldn't say more. No, the Sidhe merely stood and looked back down at Kaulu, extending a hand and a bit of a raised brow, his mood, expression seeming to shift in the blink of an eye between solemn and quiet to something much more mirthful, his eyes seeming to shine like the stars did, pale as the moon above and reflecting back just as much light.

"Enough about my kin, though. There will be time for that later. I am here, with your people and I would know more about them." Nik smiled, a friendly, genuine smile as he took her hand and pulled her up, ignoring the twinge it sent into his side. Pain was an everyday thing for him. This time was no different and he'd done much more with much worse damage before.

"Will you show me the dances of your people?"

It WAS their wedding day and regardless of whether or not it was what they'd wanted, he'd have her remember it as fondly as possible.

Reactions: catalyst
The sudden shift of expression and atmosphere had the woman react in a blink before she smiled. His eyes shone ethereally and she found she could drown in them if she peered into them for too long. As he took her hand in his and lifted her up, his question sent another smile to waver her face. "Sure," she said and pulled him gently to the dancing area, still aware of his pain and not wanting to make it worse for him especially if he was about to dance.

She extended both her arms into the air, hands outstretched and fingers poised as if she was welcoming the cooling air around her. She looked up to her husband and smiled, arms lowering slowly to the consistent beat of the drums as she rolled her wrists. "You want to move your body as if the pull of the wind is lulling you," she explained as she bent her waist to the side, arms extending out as if the wind was pushing into her and then she moved to the opposite as if she was stretching out her side a bit and her arms extended into the air again. Her wrists twirled, hips and stomach rolled lightly. "Welcome the wind, the air around you."

For men, they incorporated the dance a bit differently. If the song allowed it, they would stomp into the ground, and men and woman alike would use the sand to their advantage, using it to flaunt their movements.

Nik watched her without a word or question, his body still for the time being as he absorbed her movements. There was no lust, no desire in his lingering eyes, merely curiosity and a spark of something more, something like a deep understanding that only grew as the drums rolled, washing over him, finally creating movement in his body, graceful and flowing just as the movement of all Sidhe were. Mortals called them faery, ethereal creatures of elegance and poise and while they were cold and ruthless, Nik didn't possess those qualities in the same way the rest of his kin did, somehow tempered.

He closed his eyes after a moment, simply listening to the music the people played, but also to something much deeper, a far more ancient song that called to him, beckoned with the same lulling qualities Kaulu had spoken of. The wind she'd said and Nik believed her, even as he knew it was more. He didn't know how. He'd never known how he knew, how he heard, he only knew he did. A breeze came by then and it played with his hair, teasing, prompting him to move with its whispered words and the Sidhe smiled as he did just that.

He wasn't perfect, didn't know all the steps of the moves, but his body knew the rhythm as if it had been born into it and he kept up with Kaulu just fine. Subtle differences in their movements, in steps and timing did not disrupt each other as might be assumed, but rather seemed to compliment even as they occasionally challenged as they lost themselves into the music of the drums and the music of the desert.

And all about them the wind teased and pulled, laughed and frolicked in its unique way and it didn't leave, almost as if it had been called.

The Chaktawe woman was slow in her movements at first, letting her new husband grasp the concept, the feel of the dance. Soon enough, they found themselves dancing together in unique harmony, the foreign man's body finding its rhythm within the song. It made Kaulu feel good, and a smile danced on her lips, seemingly never fading as their bodies moved freely and she began to truly enjoy herself.

The people observed as the newlyweds danced together. Even though they were so different and a bit awkward at first, it seemed that the Sidhe man had found his pace and it was a wonder to watch. It made people feel a bit more at ease with everything, and soon they were smiling and laughing - cheering even before plenty of them left their spots and joined the dance floor.

"I think your wolves were on to something," she said over the noise, facing Nik as they danced, that smile still gracing her face and her eyes brightened. "Your body knows its state." They had gotten closer in the subtle differences of movements, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Their palms would sometimes meet and they would circle each other or move their connected palms in any which way, following the traditional dances of celebration.

Reactions: Kaisaan
Nik laughed at her words, the sound rich and deep and she'd find in time that it was hardly heard. He had every reason to laugh now, though, to feel the weight of everything lift for just a little while from his shoulders, from his heart. Not even the pain could register for a time. His palms found Kaulu's again before they moved apart and he shook his head, pale eyes almost playful. "Don't ever tell them that. I won't hear the end of it." he quipped back with a smile, stomping again with the rest of the men.

His gaze stayed on Kaulu, truly admiring her now. She moved with a fluidity that reminded him of water or sleek raven. There was a fierceness about her tempered with a gentle love of her people and a sincere happiness for the dance that truly made her light up. He hoped that it never left her, that her union to him would not rob her for such joy, of such a wonderful spirit and he found himself grateful that out of all the Chaktawe he could have married, she was the one chosen. Perhaps that was selfish, but her heart was kind, he could see that clearly, and he would not deny that such a thing would draw him to her more surely than anything else.

And yet...part of him was very interested to see her in battle. Not fighting against her, no, but to see her form, how she held herself, techniques. Perhaps he'd get a chance on day.

As the song came to an end, Nik slowed as well and gave his new wife a smile before he looked around, finally noting the other people around them. A tinge of red came to his cheeks, unable to be helped, but the smile didn't leave and his markings seemed to glow as the wind swept by again, sweeping into the fire and sending sparks shooting up high into the air as the song finally ended completely. It didn't come back this time, the air growing still again and the Nik let out a slow breath even as he gave Kaulu a slightly sheepish look, starting to move out of the body of dancers.

"My apologies, but I think I might be too tired for another song." True enough, but it was more due to his side, screaming its protest at him and telling him what an idiot he was that was the deciding factor in his decline of another dance. Still, the happiness didn't leave. He was hopeful it would continue as the night wore on.

To his quip, Kaulu's smile shot to her eyes as they crinkled and she dance around, with, and by him happily. This man was not so bad. He was hardly like his family and other Sidhe, if any at all. Just as he felt lucky to marry her, she greatly thanked the stars, spirits, and heavens above that she did not have to marry any of his younger brothers. She felt as if he would adapt to the desert with a certain easy flow as the days passed, and it would be rather interesting - perhaps a bit of fun? - teaching him of her culture and watching him interact with her family.

As the song slowed and ended, so did their dance and she looked to Nik, spotting his reddening face and sheepish expression. She gave him a warm look. He would have to get used to the people watching and surrounding them. And if it was his dancing he was embarrassed about, well, he would learn that he was a fine dancer and had nothing to fret over.

At his words, she nodded, understanding completely. Just then, her sister appeared beside her, a grin on her face and her free-spirited atmosphere undeniable. "I think this has turned out to be a swell celebration, don't you think, sister?" she asked a bit breathless, her hands grasping onto her older sister's arm excitedly. She was younger than Kaulu by only a couple hundred years. Kaulu grinned in response, and Japikoa then looked to Nik.

"You move well, new brother," she said, a small smirk appearing.

"You should keep him company," Kaulu chimed in, looking from her sister to her husband. "I think I'd like to join the drums for a little while. You don't mind, do you, Nik?" she asked. She thought that if he should get close to anyone else, it should be Koa. She was free-spirited, fun, had her own way of doing things compared to traditional Chaktawe ways. But she was also just about as loyal as Kaulu to her close friends and family, and was great to confide secrets.

Nik was still subtly trying to catch his breath - it wasn't as easy as it would have been normally - when Japikoa turned up and at her words he gave her a slightly startled look that neither woman seemed to see. Probably better that they didn't. But Koa's words...he'd never expected that. Not in a million years had he expected those words to leave her mouth or anyone else's because it spoke of an acceptance of some kind and Nik hadn't been expecting that. His own people didn't accept him, so why in the world, but the moon and sun, would he think that a race completely unrelated would do so?

It made him a bit unbalanced inside, completely, truly surprised and he only shook his head at Kaulu. No, he didn't mind. He watched her go for a moment before looking back at her younger sister, sensing, feeling the youth and bubbly personality beneath that smirking smile. She was a fiery heart, but loyal to a fault, like Kauluwehi. There was a slight defiance to her, though, something he couldn't quite pinpoint but recognized. She was like Jemna. The thought of the werewolfess made him smile, a fond light in his eyes before he focused on the girl before him, a brow rising.

"Japikoa...does that come with a short-name like your sister?"

Somehow he sensed that just being completely honest, not even particularly formal with this young girl would work better than anything else he might do.

With that shake of the head, the oldest Princess left her younger sister and husband alone to hopefully share some sort of ground and bond. She moved to where the musicians stood and was greeted with happy grins and welcoming. They gave her her own drum after talking for a few short moments, and then she began drumming away with the others.

Japi smiled and nodded to this newcomer's question. "Whatever syllables you find best. Jap, Japi, Koa... Api." She shrugged before leading the way to some chairs, her black hair braided to mid-back. "What of you, Niklomaus?" she asked, breathing deeply as she crossed her legs.

Nik smiled a bit at that answer, his pale eyes narrowing slightly, playfully calculating just what he could do with her name. He followed as she beckoned and sat as she did, attention focused on the young girl, wondering why out of all the people she could have left him with, Kaulu had chosen her sister. There was a purpose there, a technique and while Nik didn't fear it was a malicious one or political one of any kind, he was still curious as to the reason, but decided to simply accept it.

"I go by Nik...or Cub, but that's usually only by the werewolves." he admitted with a slight smile, looking out to the desert in the direction he knew his people lied. He didn't think of Tuatha Dé Danaan as home and hadn't since he was very young, but he knew that was where the werewolves were. They'd be his only reason for going back if the choice had been up to him.

Attention came back to Japi swiftly, though, the thoughts in his eyes retreating back into their shadows as he tilted his head a bit, taking a shallow breath carefully. "And you, Iko? What is your talent, your place within your tribe and people?"

"The werewolves?" Japikoa asked, raising both eyebrows. She didn't have the talent to only raise one brow. "Are you close to them?" she asked lightly, curiosity flickering in jet eyes. She knew the werewolves had some ancient blood-bound pact and were protectors of the Sidhe Royal Family.

She wasn't as observant as her sister and therefore only caught a glance of his shifting eyes. She didn't think too much of it, and smiled at her new nickname. Iko, that was a new one.

"I am a storyteller, like my mother," she said proudly. "Abayla are what we are called and since my mother is both the queen and a storyteller, it is changed to Apayla. Only women are Abaylas, and only we know the sacred stories of our people. We tell them... in a unique way. You will actually see such a demonstration shortly." She paused, looking from the people to Nik. "What of you? I can see you're a fine dancer, but do you have any other hidden talents?"

Last edited:
He let her answer his question first, figuring it would be easier that way instead getting all tangled up in two different conversations and Nik nodded slowly in understanding to her announcement that she was a story-teller. Apparently such a thing was well-renowned in Chaktawe culture and Nik felt curiosity stir as he smiled a bit knowing he'd see such a thing soon. He looked forward to it and seeing Japikoa specifically one day, and said as much quietly before looking thoughtful at her questions. If Kaulu had asked them, he probably would have been much more hesitant about speaking, but her younger sister didn't seem to be as wise. Oh, she was smart, he didn't doubt that, but there was a difference between intelligence and wisdom, and Kaulu had the latter. She seemed able to look at him and see things she shouldn't and Japikoa seemed a bit young for such a talent.

So Nik relaxed a bit and answer a little more freely than he might have done with someone older. "I...can read, write, I'm pretty good with the bow and twin knives." He paused, frowning a bit. "I can rock climb, but that's not all that impressive. Every Sidhe child can do it. I..." Nik went quiet again, truly trying to think. He knew he held no true place with his people, but he couldn't tell the Chaktawe that. And he had talents...a few, actually, but... Well, maybe he could tell her one. "I can communicate with animals. Predators, mostly." The male smiled slightly, his eyes holding shadows of secrets. "I have other...talents, too, but I'm not allowed to use them so they're better left forgotten."

Nik moved on quickly from that, looking back out at her people. "As for the wolves, they are my family." That answer was automatic, more true than any other answer he could give and Nik...couldn't really explain it more than that. They were his family.

Last edited:
Japi smiled cheerfully when Nik said he was looking forward to seeing such story-telling. It seemed he was genuine and that was good because that meant he wouldn't stand out so much. If he was truly interested in their culture and was willing to learn, no one would hold a grudge except for few who were still wary about war and their old enemies.

"Rock climbing? I say that is pretty impressive," she enthused. Even if it was common in every Sidhe, it didn't mean that it was common elsewhere. Chaktawe were good on their feet, but leathery pads and webbing between toes? She didn't think their feet and rock climbing would function well together. When Nik informed her that he could communicate with animals, her mouth gaped in an open smile. "Really? That's amazing!" She almost said something of her sister's own powerful abilities, but she didn't know if Kaulu had confided this to Nik already, or if she was waiting for a specific time. So she said nothing.

"I don't have any special abilities, really. I mean, not like communicating with animals. I am specialized in being an Abayla and that's about it." She didn't sound sad, it was just the honest truth. When he answered about the werewolves, she nodded. "It is good to have two families I think."

Status
Not open for further replies.