Strength in Differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nik woke in the morning with a wince, sucking in a sharp breath as he forgot to breathe shallowly and his ribs screamed their protest. His hand went to his side, wrapping protectively around them and the white-haired Sidhe moved from the bed, looking around slowly to see his brothers were still 'resting' - though, Sidhe didn't actually sleep. He let out a shaky exhale of relief and looked down at the damage done the night before. He'd known he'd pay for that comment to Cuchulainn and his brother had made sure punishment was swift. Nik studied the livid bruises forming over his side, knowing at least three ribs were cracked and wondered how the hell he was going to explain such a thing to Kaula if she saw them.

Then again...he highly doubted they'd be sleeping together any time soon if ever.

He slipped a tunic on and brushed his hand back through his hair before leaving the room. It was early yet, very early and the desert was only now getting rid of its chill. Nik padded silently through the desert house until he reached outside and then slipped from the courtyard and to the desert itself as it lay at the back of the house. His bare feet sank down into the sand and then Nik did the same, down to his knees as he struggled to breathe without pain.

Pale blue eyes closed and he felt the wind play over his hair, even as he worked to calm his mind and tried to push the pain away. He knew he could do it, but it was hard when he was already finding it hard to breathe, knowing what was happening today.

He knew he shouldn't have been so panicked about it - it wasn't like he was ever going to find someone in his own culture who'd want to marry him - but he found it hard not to be. His entire world was going to change and while his life hadn't been great so far, at least he'd known what to expect. This was all new.

Last edited:
(( I'm not sure if I'll be able to get this in a later post, but just so you know, their pottery and jewelry are made from bone, quartz, or red clay mixed with shimmering minerals such as mica. Their earthenware and utensils are known for their durability and soothing shapes. ))

The injured prince wouldn't be interrupted until about two hours later, when his fiancee was completely finished with bathing. His personal space would be respected, meaning: he would only receive help from tailors or any other significant person if wanted. He would, however, be treated to breakfast regardless and about as good of a bath as you could get in the desert.

The wedding day of a bride meant an early start. Not as an early of a start as Nik, but definitely early. Kauluwehi woke probably around an hour or so after Niklomaus. Her hair was free from all braids and adornments. Her pitch eyes blinked her second pair of eyelids, making her vision cloudy but only for a second. She stretched in the cotton sheets of her bed - a rare material in the desert - before sitting up and looking around her room. Her room, like most rooms in all of the nation, resembled a bird's fanciful nest as they were adorned with glittering items, bones, and feathers. Sleep was regarded with miraculous properties and therefore bedrooms had a strong dream-like quality, though each room differentiated in tastes pertaining especially to the dreamer; unexpected colors were mixed with art and symbols meaningful to each person. She supposed she was to start anew when her and Nik found their own home...

The wedding would be held before the sun reached its highest peak in the sky so that there would be some relief from the heat for the visiting family. Kaulu spent her first part of the morning eating and then bathing - or rather, using a specific sand and oil combination to cleanse herself before rinsing from water taken from the oasis. Afterwards, she was treated to a milk bath with added honey and lavender, which were obviously only used for very special occasions such as this big of a ceremony. The fiance would use the sand and oil combination but unfortunately for him, the milk bath was only for the bride.

It was a busy morning with hardly any space to breathe after bathing. She was dressed in a casual fitting before her mother and father came in to bless her while her hair was being braided with a bun held by a carved bone pick fashioned into the style of a bird at the top. The ruling Sulis would also make their way to give their blessing to Niklomaus because even though the marriage wasn't one out of true love, the engaged couple technically did not have to marry each other. And they wanted the couple's marriage to flow as smoothly as possible, along with the rest of their years.

The two to be betrothed would not meet until ten minutes before the wedding, where (usually) they would say their last words as separate souls. Though, for Kaulu and Nik, it might be a little bit of a different story. And to be honest, Kaulu wouldn't be hit with the realization of her getting married until that moment.

(( Hairstyle: http://www.whiteme.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Bridal-Hairstyle-Braids-2-467x500.jpg ignore the flowers
Hair pick holding up the bun: http://img0.etsystatic.com/019/1/7728514/il_570xN.532548244_doxe.jpg
I'll give the description of the dress/outfit she wears in the next post, if I find anything. [: ))

Niklomaus had mostly been left alone. He'd declined the majority of help but for those things he couldn't escape and soon enough he was ready as well. He'd cleaned up well, hair put into some semblance of order and the garb of his own people on his body. Simple black pants and boots, but the tunic was more like a robe, the sleeves long and deep, the whole thing a silvery-blue hue and Nik hated it already. It limited his freedom of movement and in his opinion made him look like a damn bird trying to fly away. Still, it was the traditional wedding attire for his people and there was no way he was getting out of it...even if the thing did nearly reach his knees. Honestly, someone could have designed something better.

Luckily he'd only have to wear it once.

The white-haired Sidhe tried to stay as far away from his family as he could, for as long as he could when he was forced to finally join people again. The blessing from Kaula's parents genuinely surprised him and all Nik could reply to them was that he'd do his best to make sure their daughter was happy. He didn't want her to be miserable in this even if she felt it was her duty to do this for the sake of her people. He wouldn't be cruel to her and he wanted her parents to know that even if the decision was already made and irreversible now.

They didn't get ten minutes, but more like five, as the two were brought into the presence of each other. They'd be married in the courtyard and they'd yet to step into it. Nik couldn't help but stare at his bride-to-be, his pale blue eyes taking in her hair, so intricately done and a slight smile touched his lips at seeing the pin, privately marveling at how personal these people were with everything. Everything they did had a unique touch to it, something to stamp themselves into it and such a thought astounded Nik. He'd never known anything like that.

She was beautiful. Absolutely gorgeous and Nik took a careful, shallow breath before he spoke, not entirely knowing what to say to a person you hardly knew but were about to bind your future to. "You look lovely." Compliments were certainly in order. Those pale blue eyes met her black, steady despite the way his heart raced. "I will do my best not to be a shame to you and your people." Perhaps an odd thing to say, but to Nik it wasn't strange at all.

(( All right :D here you go:
Face paint: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/122/f/5/tribal_princess_by_ceekay89-d4ya40d.jpg
Dress and feather necklace (the very first one - pay no attention to the headdress - and instead of the dark blue-ish green, it's a cream color): http://th09.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2013/323/f/2/tribe_full_dress_01_by_benlo-d6ut9fa.jpg ))

Kaulu stood in the small room. Subtle white paint covered about half her face; beginning at her forehead and ending at the bridge of her nose. Small, dainty dots were also placed on the bottom of her collarbones, trailing the protruding bones until they ended. Her dress was sleeveless and was the color of cream with gold highlights and trimmings, and a wide piece of bistre cloth with gold trimmings and highlights wrapped around her middle and bunched on her right side. A thick golden mica band encircled both her biceps and gave way to lonesome sleeves that matched her dress. She also wore two mica bracelets on her right wrist, and wore no shoes as usual.

When Nikomous arrived, she greeted him with a smile before taking in the sight of him as he did her. He was wearing black pants and boots, but instead of a regular tunic, it transformed into a sort of robe that had a most marvelous silvery-blue tone to it. It might have seem a bit large but the Sidhe wore it well even if he secretly felt like a trapped bird.

His compliment made her smile as their gazes met. "As do you," she said honestly. At his next words she looked at him in a subtle curious manner. "You won't Nik. Whether its out of fear or your genuineness, I'm sure such a thing would never happen." And then she paused, mind reeling that in a few months, she would most likely be in his home. "And I will try my best not to shame yours." She looked down and away, hands coming to clutch in front of her. "I can't believe this is happening..." she said quietly, before realizing that the man before her might take offense to her words. Her eyes almost instantly met his again. "I mean, not that it's bad, but..." she didn't know how to put her thoughts into words.

((Hey, nice to see you! And pretty! I like the dress. :) ))

Her words were mildly reassuring and he looked down at her with a touch of amusement in his gaze. "I doubt you could be a shame to anyone, Kaulu." Nik replied quietly, not sure she actually heard him as she went on to say something more to herself than to him and he gave her nothing but a small smile when she looked back at him, obviously nervous that she'd offended him. She'd learn in time that Nik didn't offend easily and certainly not over something so trivial. He was not his brothers. "I understand. We are strangers, our people were enemies and we know nothing of the other. We know nothing and yet we must not let anything cause a disruption in this peace, even personal feelings."

His pale blue eyes looked away, toward the ceremony that was nearly ready for them. "And then there is marriage itself, not easy on the best of terms and certainly not like this." That was a whisper before they were summoned out into the courtyard and Nika looked back at Kaulu, dipping his head slightly to her before he slipped out, going to stand with his father and the holy man who would marry them.

Music started, the soft sounds of the Chaktawe and Nik felt his father's hand on his shoulder. It looked like a friendly gesture, but the grip was painful, warning and the white-haired Sidhe kept a wince off his face with great practice, not moving as his father released him. He watched the woman he was to marry start walking toward him and he didn't even know what he should feel. She seemed honorable, friendly even and she'd been polite and fair, but he did not love her nor she him.

Could they ever love one another?

He knew it didn't matter and that's the part that he struggled with the most. No one cared. It was a sealed deal and what he might want didn't matter in the least.

Last edited:
(( Thanks. [: And sorry for the long wait between posts, I just get busy and want to make my posts decent. ^^' ))

Kaulu nodded in relief. Nik hadn't seem offended by her earlier words and he had reassured her with his own. He had most likely felt the same, too; she didn't know why she thought it would have offended him. Her eyes followed his as they looked towards the courtyard and his whisper was both strangely comforting and nerve wracking. Comforting, maybe, because he was voicing her thoughts, her own feelings? And nerve wracking, well, because it wasn't exactly what Kaulu pictured her fiance saying before their marriage. In her own vision, of course.

Niklomaus left. Soothing yet joyous music started with the use of flutes and soft pats of drums. Kauluwehi took a deep breath before walking down the aisle alone and to Nik in a slow-paced manner. Her family and his family were fit together on the same bench, or at least the same side, and as many people from the city as could be filled the rest of the spaces. Most of the people there were in favor of the marriage, hoping that it really would bring true peace between the two ex-warring nations. Others were there just for the family, some just for the celebration. Hardly anybody that didn't support the marriage showed up.

Kaulu's heart was thumping in her chest. This wasn't a man she loved. Not even a one that she knew. He was a stranger from enemy territory, and yet here they were about to be married to start a peace treaty. But it was for her nation, and also for his. And she knew that as long as they shared this common ground, things would be all right. They would have to be.

She was nervous but hardly any of it showed. She didn't walk with poise, but hardly did anyone else. They had their own sort of grace to their natural gaits.

Soon she was in front of Nik. She smiled a small smile before their hands were joined together. Their contact wasn't as warm as she pictured either. But she couldn't dwell on that, and instead focused on the holy man, her family, and Niklomaus. The holy man, a greatly revered healer, welcomed the guests and then moved on to the couple at hand. At the end, each person would take the other's hands and kiss them both to fully recognize the body holding the soul inside. And then when finished, they would kiss and be flourished with authentic-or-not cheers and deep red petals of desert flora.

Since they hadn't chosen their own home yet, they would be back at the palace and in the bride's room. They would spend as much time here as wanted before moving onto the reception where there would be food, wine, and dances. They were free to change their clothing as well, as long as it was appropriate for the celebration.

(( It's okay! I just hope you're enjoying this RP as much as I am. :) ))

Her skin was as warm as he'd expected it to be of a desert-dwelling species and he knew his own were far cooler, probably feeling strange to her. It was the first contact they'd ever had, though, and Nik wished it could have been under less pressuring circumstances. As it was, he held her hands in a gentle, but firm grasp, the smile she gave him strangely helping his jumpy nerves and he kept one ear on what the holy man was saying, knowing he really didn't have to know much of the ceremony; he'd be married by the end of it and he'd try to treat the woman as respectfully and kindly as he could. That's all he needed to know.

When the words were done, Nik took a shallow breath and brought Kaulu's hands up to his mouth, kissing each one softly before he lowered them again and let her do the same to his. That finished, he knew he needed to kiss her fully to seal the marriage and Nik met her black eyes for a moment before he let go of one of her hands and brought it to her face instead, hesitantly touching her cheek, feeling his heart hammer as he leaned in and placed kiss on her lips. It was gentle and not cold in the least even as it was chaste and he pulled away slowly before let his hand depart from her face. The cheers fell on deaf ears on his part and Nik didn't look up as the red petals fell, watching Kaulu, noting only that the flowery things were there at all when a few landed in her hair.

It brought a small smile to his lips before he looked away from her and out at everyone. He was lost to whether they were congratulated or blessed by anyone as the next few minutes were all a daze for Nik. He was married. It was done. He was married. The white-haired Sidhe watched as his father and step-mother went with Kaula's parents to draw up the formal contracts several minutes later and then the two were allowed to leave the courtyard and move back to Kaulu's room. He was sure his stuff had probably already been moved there.

The thought of being alone with her...made him nervous now even as he knew he shouldn't be, but it was there as he followed his new wife, a mere half-step behind her as she led the way.

Last edited:
(( I definitely am! [: ))

The Chaktawe woman felt just as nervous about the kiss as the Sidhe man did, but his hand holding her cheek surprisingly settled a bit of her nerves and told her it was okay. Their lips had met and it was a gentle kiss, certainly not passionate in the least, but it wasn't bad and she didn't necessarily dislike it. Her mind was sort of in a swirl as they walked down the aisle and towards her their room. She wasn't focused on any one thing except that she wanted to get out of the courtyard and into the light tranquility of her room. She was happy that the nations now would no longer be technical enemies, that no more men and women had to fight and risk their lives on a daily basis. But the wedding... her wedding wasn't how she ever pictured it to be and quite honestly, it was hard to get over it. But she knew in time she would fully accept it - she was already well on her way there since she had known about it since the day it was agreed upon.

And Niklomaus... Kaulu would do her best to keep him happy as well. Be respectful and polite. This is for your people.

Once alone in the room, Kaulu closed the door behind them quietly and looked to Nik. "Your things have been moved here," she said if he hadn't noticed it already. She took one glance around her room before looking back to him. "What's mine is yours," she gestured her hands in a half circle. She didn't think they'd be making 'love' together any time soon, but she had been preparing herself for the possibility since that morning. Even just sleeping together was probably a no-go, and she'd willingly give up her bed, but she had to prepare herself for that as well.

Nik looked around the room, finding the entire setup to be rather soothing and he directed his eyes back to Kaulu when she spoke, nodding slightly to her first statement, but at her second he shook his head lightly and gave her a very direct, but not harsh look. "Kaulu, I don't expect anything from you except perhaps your kindness. I won't demand anything of you that you would not give freely, without any pressure from any outside source." He gave her a bit of a smile, hoping to be reassuring and then looked around again, taking in everything with careful, quiet eyes before the Prince sat with a sigh. He bit back a wince as he put some pressure against his ribs and carefully pulled the robes off. He wore a lighter shirt underneath and was careful that it stayed on so as to not show the bruises as he set the heavy attire down, careful not to hit anything.

His body screamed at him, told him that it wanted to be tended to and for him to stop moving and pushing it. Nik ignored it, running his fingers back through his hair and messing it up from the careful combing that had been done. Even that movement hurt and each breath was careful, shallow, making him slightly light-headed. He was rather good at not showing it, though and instead Nik tried to make his mind focus on something else.

His attention turned back to Kaulu. "If you want to dress, I won't look, I promise."

He rested his forearms on his knees, resisting the urge to wrap his arm around his ribcage and looked toward the woman who was his wife now. "Is there anything you would ask of me now? Any boundaries or rules I should follow?" The last thing he wanted was to make her uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Kaulu looked to him with a bit of surprise showing in her black eyes. So... this man really was going to abide by his word? So far, it seemed that way; Nik deemed himself as a respectable man. But it was only the first night, and men could change or show their true self just as quickly as a sand storm would claim its stake in the desert. For that reason, the now married Princess would continue to be cautious.

She was unaware of his injury and pain, and when he promised not to look if she wanted to change out of her dress, she nodded and offered a modest smile. "Very well."

She walked to a carefully crafted tan clay dresser, pulling on the small knobs to retrieve the third outfit of the day. She plucked out a deep purple skirt along with its black wrap with cream tassels. The skirt had a slit on the left side, ending above her knee. Then she pulled out her mainly black shirt, one that conformed to her bodice perfectly. She made eye contact with Nik before walking behind a small, thin wall that acted as a room divider. She took her time changing, slipping into the new outfit as she answered his questions.

"Just... as you already promised. Respect my people and myself and... there shouldn't be a problem. The spirits, too." There was a small pause. "As for general rules of the city, there really isn't anything you should be worried about. What you should know, you will learn within the next few months." After finishing dressing, she set her wedding dress aside gingerly. When she was finished, she walked out and found the rest of her accessories. The last she did was take out the pin in her hair and set it gently atop of the dress before running a hand through her wavy, completely free hair. Then she looked to Nik and smiled.

"You could change, too, if you'd like."

(( Outfit - everything except for the flower in her hair and the earrings: https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd....480/310270_10151478706697800_2085009573_n.jpg ))

Nik had leaned his head back against a small pillar he'd sank down against minutes before when she disappeared from sight and he let the pain show on his face, gritting his teeth hard as he tried to draw in a deeper breath, agony blossoming in his eyes, but air flooding his lungs, too. He claimed the pain worth it as the light feeling in his head started to clear slowly. His arm had wrapped around his ribs by this point, cradling them even as his own touch hurt. Hearing Kaulu coming back out, he rearranged his face back to its calm setting, pushing the pain back from his thoughts, his gaze. It lingered there, in the very depths of his blue eyes, like a glitter at the bottom of an oasis.

At her offer, he thought for a moment and then merely shook his head. "No, that's all right." The thought of trying to maneuver his body enough to dress and undress was enough to make him want to never move again. He knew he couldn't do that, though, and he rose as normally as he could, though, admittedly it was a bit slower than he would have liked. Nik looked down at the ebony-haired Kaulu then and he gave her a genuine smile. "Your heart truly is beautiful."

Most men would compliment her outward beauty, but Nik saw more than that when he looked at people and Kaulu had shown her character to him with just a few simple things. No, he didn't know her, not really, but he knew she wasn't cruel or mean just to be that way and he'd grown up around too much of that not to recognize it. The Princess was different. Fierce yes, but different. The thought was a reassuring type of one considering this was the woman he was married to now and Nik opened his mouth again to perhaps say more or ask her if she wanted to leave or talk, but a knock saw him looking to the door instead, frowning in a puzzled way.

He thought they got to decide when they were coming out? Still, he went to the door and opened it, looking to the servant there with a questioning expression. The man bowed slightly. "Prince Niklomaus, your family is departing if you wish to see them off."

Nik's voice was quiet, eerily so as if he already knew the answer to his question. "Did they request my presence?"

The servant hesitated a bit and then answered, a bit unsure. "No, Prince, they...they did not."

A nod. "Then I do not wish to see them. Thank you for the message." The servant bowed again before departing and Nik shut the door again, hand on the wood for a moment as he closed his eyes, trying to convince himself that it didn't hurt, that he'd been expecting it and it didn't hurt. He lifted his head soon enough, expression neutral again, calm as he looked back at Kaulu. "Do you want to leave now or perhaps speak a while longer?"

Last edited:
Kaulu knew something was off the minute she set foot back in the space of the room. Nik looked as he did before, but there was definitely something there. She just couldn't put a finger on it though. Not yet, at least.

At his words, she stared up at him, lips parting as if she had an immediate response. But nothing came out and she only took in his face; his silver and blue gradient markings, white hair, beautifully strong facial features, his crystal blue eyes... so secretive. Kaulu felt as if that was where she would have to fight to find answers, like she could find hushed - no, more like trapped secrets if a voice did not supply.

When she found words to say, she felt movement approaching the door through her fingertips and she looked towards it before there was even a knock. When there was one, she was also a bit confused as to who it could be, but Nik had already gone to answer the door, where one of the servants delivered the message of the Sidhe monarch leaving. The conversation was peculiar, the Prince's reaction even more so.

"There is something troubling you." His question was deliberately ignored. And maybe she was wrong to point out the odd atmosphere, but... this was part of her duty now, was it not?

There was a struggle in Nik's eyes at her statement, as if something was beating, trying to claw its way past the barrier in the depth of his gaze, but he wouldn't let it. He didn't know what to tell her. He didn't know how to explain one thing without explaining everything...and he couldn't explain everything. Not only was he not allowed, but he didn't know her. He didn't know how she'd react and the Sidhe looked back to the door and then to Kaulu with a slight sigh.

"My family...did not want to say goodbye. It...I understand why they do it, but it's not easy to accept sometimes."

It was the best answer he could give, a truthful one without actually saying anything at all. How could he? He couldn't tell this woman, this woman he didn't know and had just married, that his family had never wanted him. That every day of his life he'd been reminded of the fact that he was a shame upon them. How could he tell Kaulu that? Dare he ever tell her that? No. He couldn't. If they ever found out he'd breathed a word...

Nik took a deep breath at the thought and then stilled, his eyes dilating suddenly at the pain that swept through his ribcage and he exhaled slowly, working to keep the pain off his face. Dammit. That was going to suck for a while. Nik finally refocused on the ebony-haired female when he felt he could breathe again and offered her a slight smile. "Shall we rejoin your people?"

Last edited:
The answer was more than enough for Kauluwehi. It was answered her question while not answering it at all, and that allowed her to recognize Niklomaus not wanting to share his secrets in the slightest. She understood. Each person had their own demons, and she would wait for the opportunity to arise when her husband would share his story. But if that time never came... then she wouldn't push the subject.

"I understand," Kaulu supplied. "Though maybe I don't." There were different ways to interpret his answer but only one of those were true for him. She still watched him, observant crow eyes catching that hitched breath and slow exhale. At his question, she answered by going to his side and holding out her hand, waiting for him to give her his arm. She looked towards the door. "If you are hurting, it would be wise to see a healer." There was nothing more she said. She didn't know how badly he was injured, but it hurt enough to keep have him breathe so slowly. She didn't suspect anything of his family. She just wanted him to be well.

Nik had started to relax at her answer, but her comment made him tense again, pale blue eyes looking at her swiftly, gauging if she meant anything by that. He soon knew that she hadn't, nothing more than how it sounded, but the Sidhe shook his head even as he offered her his arm. "Thank you, but it's fine. I'm fine." Okay, that was a lie, but not one he purposefully meant. He'd been through a lot worse. This WAS fine in a lot of regards. He was used to this.

And he didn't want to see a healer. No, he would avoid doing that until he was physically dragged to one and even then, he might try to escape if not watched carefully. Niklomaus hated healers. He would keep away from them at all costs, even if he was bleeding out if he had his way. Of course, he didn't say any of this to Kaulu as they made their way back out to her family and friends and people. The white-haired male immediately felt a bit out of place, but he knew he'd have to get used to it.

At least the Chaktawe were polite, some even seeming genuinely friendly.

How much worse was it going to be for Kauluwehi when she came to his home? A place where other races were looked down upon and intermingling with one was seen with disgust. Nik prayed the months would go slowly before that time came.

Kaulu rested her hand in the crook of Nik's offered arm. He said he was fine, so he was fine. Kaulu would have to accept that, at least for now.

They walked back out to the courtyard where benches where moved and instead were tables with refreshments on them. There weren't as much people now. When evening settled, all would gather at the oasis where they would play music, dance, and otherwise celebrate. This would surely attract more of the Chaktawe.

It was the afternoon by now so the city was very well torrid. The Chaktawe were of course used to it, but there were some concerns for how well the Sidhe would handle it and if he'd adapt to it at all.

"Welcome, Niklomaus," the Wayhali greeted, offering a small smile as his daughter and new son. The Apayla and youngest princess both looked up as their relatives arrived, and they smiled as well.

There was something about that greeting, something about the smiles the others gave that eased a bit of the knot inside of Nik. These people...were not the Sidhe. They didn't appear to hate him, even after his family had left and that spoke volumes to the Prince. Probably more than these people realized. They were friendly, even to one that had been their enemy in times past and Nik found himself smiling back, a genuine smile even if his eyes were cautious still. They would be for a time, probably a lot longer than they should be. Still, it amazed him how...nice these people were. Perhaps such a thing should not have been so surprising to Niklomaus, but it was.

He found himself staying relatively close to Kaulu as the day wore on, but he didn't mind speaking to others either, answering their questions about his home, how politics were with the Sidhe, listening to information about he desert and hearing a story or two about this sandstorm or that rainfall. He was patient, observant and sincerely interested in all that was said to him and careful in everything he shared.

And oddly enough, something that was commented upon here and there as being strange seeing as he WAS a Sidhe, an earth-dweller, Nik was showing no adverse affects to being out in the sun for so long. Yes, his hair was a bit damp at the neck and few strands on his forehead here and there but he certainly didn't appear to be suffering from it like his kin would have been. His blue eyes kept going back to the desert itself and at one point, Nik moved to one of the outer pillars and stared at the sands, his eyes closing slowly as he merely listened.

He'd not been lying or kidding when he'd told Kaulu this place sang and he could hear it now, below all the other noise; the song out on the sands, in the wind. It was soothing and enticing all at once and he rather liked it.

Last edited:
The afternoon passed on and Kaulu was rather pleased with how everything was going. People were conversing with Nik, asking him of his home and the Sidhe. And he in turn listened to their stories, genuinely interested in all that was said to him. It actually made Kaulu happy, for this was turning out to be easier than she first anticipated.

When the sun was starting to set over the horizon, finding a couple of dunes to be hidden over, the sky was light transitioning into a deep blue with carmine pink and rich orange clouds. Fires were being started and people gathered around the oasis in the center of the city, some already starting on the wine. Kaulu had noticed Nik's displacement, and approached him with barely a sound, studying his stance and face. His eyes were closed and she didn't know if he was listening to her homeland, to the desert song. Maybe he hadn't lied about before.

She cleared her throat as to not totally startle him. "People are gathering in the plaza," she announced softly.

Pale blue eyes opened slowly, tranquil, almost peaceful and it was a startling difference if one cared to pay that much attention. It gave testament to how stormy and chaotic his gaze usually was to see it so still and calm now. Normally people didn't notice the latter until they were allowed to see the former, not recognizing the turmoil usually there until they saw the quiet that could exist. Chaotic was simply what Nik was inside more often than not and few got to really understand that as it was his normal expression, something that one would always assume was part of the Prince and wouldn't even register as an emotion, just simply how he looked it was that common to see. It was only when it changed to something far more rare and peaceful that it became obvious that such was a fleeting thing for Nik.

But that was only if one cared to notice such things as the changing emotions to be found in eyes.

Nik smiled at her and nodded, moving back toward her and he calmly offered his arm, letting her lead as they started for the plaza she'd mentioned. As they walked, Nik spoke, seeming much more relaxed now, more open.

"What part of these gatherings is your favorite, Kaulu? I know you are a warrior, but do you have other talents as well, perhaps dancing?"

They'd come to the plaza now and Nik looked around with curious eyes, taking in everything, silently questioning, discovering. The colors and sounds, smells were exciting and he marveled at it, not lying when he'd said Kaulu's world was ethereal to him. It still was.

Last edited:
(( I changed her talent of playing the harp to playing the flute. :P ))

Did Kaulu care? Did she care enough about this stranger to catch such a subtle difference? Only to a certain extent. She sensed the difference; Nik was much more... relaxed now. At ease. She didn't know if it was in his eyes, in his posture... it was everywhere. It radiated. It was even calming for her, like it was contagious. And she only noticed it once they started walking, as if her mind had been constant ripples of water before a single thing graced it and settled it all at once.

She took his offered arm, returning his smile and looking out at her home as they walked for the plaza. "Dancing..." she smiled a bit. "It's not a real talent, but I suppose I'm decent enough. I play the fiddle, drums, and flute. Drums mostly, though. That's my true calling," she winked as she looked at him. "What about you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.