Steps too Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ingrid blinked slightly before shrugging gently. "I dunno.. Not much to really tell..." She murred, obviously trying to think of something semi-interesting to come out with, but it was probably better to start from the beginning...

"Well.. My birthday is coming up. June 23rd... Never made friends easy at school.. It's where I learnt to start playing pranks on people I don't like. Got expelled for putting a dead frog from the science lab in a girl's bag.. But a lot of stuff lead up to that, so My father tried to get me homeschooled.. But the teachers are always stuck up, victorian style people.. They don't take pranks well either. I guess the reason I really came back was.. Well.. You guys started being friends with me. You didn't have you.. You weren't hired to like me.. You could've just sold me off to anyone and that would've been it.. But you didn't, and I kinda liked being around people that weren't forced to be around me. Fox and you are the first friends I've had" She said softly, looking down at the rim of the blanket as she twiddled it in her fingers.

She snorted at herself lightly. "Wow I'm a loser.." She giggled slightly with a sigh. She wasn't used to talking about herself, it was hard to find things that she thought someone would actually want to know... She lost track of where she was thinking and just shrugged, looking back to Richelieu. "Nothing much to me really"

He laughed. "Well, teachers are like that alot of the time. They have to be with brats like you...as for you doing pranks on people you don't like, I now get a better understanding on the whole being naked in the thorns thing. Still surprising to hear you got expelled though....and trust me kid, you're no loser. Far from it."

He sighed. "I bet there's so much more you could talk about, but you either don't care to or you're just not sure what to say. Either way, in time it'll probably come to you. Until then, it's good to know you a little better at least. Is there anything you'd like to know about me since we're on the topic?"

"It's not that I don't care.. Just haven't had this conversation with anyone, it's hard to find places to.. start" She murred gently, looking to him lay in the grass by the fire. She thought for a minute, but her mind just filled up with different question, so got re-stuck on where to start.. The scars was a big one in her mind, but she didn't want to bring it up and hurt him. So.. Easier one, and maybe the two were linked anyway...

"Why did you start being a criminal? Doesn't seem like the first career choice anyone would make" She said softly, actually getting too warm now with the fire so close and the blanket, so push it off herself, adjusting the little straps on his night dress back onto her shoulders before she hugged her knees again, ready to sit and listen.

"Being a criminal started for me around the age of 8 actually. More along the lines of a forced life choice. Family was poor, starving and I being the eldest child was responsible for trying to have enough food and stuff for the family. It...didn't pan out that well. My parents died about two years after that and my siblings kind of scattered to do their own thing. I have no clue what they're doing now."

He sighed as he stretched, glancing back at her and seeing her in her sexy nightwear. "Wow...that looks...real good on you kid. I didn't know you wore such skimpy clothes....."

Her face turned the very familiar red colour as she reached behind her, trying to get the blanket back to cover herself, but that only made it look 'worse', because as she turned, the edge of the dress started rising up her thigh, trying to grab the right bit of the blanket to cover her legs, but with where she was sat, she just made it difficult by being close to the fire.

"I-its not that skimpy... Just small" she murred quietly, giving up on the blanket as it was all tangled up by one of the logs little twig branches. But it was all possible that her flustering and not just tugging it free just made it worse. She tried to get her face to stop blushing the way it always did, felt ridiculous to be this shy around him all the time. They already kissed, what was the big deal?

Richelieu laughed. "Well..skimpy..small..whatever...it looks good on you kid." He sat up and stared into the fire. "Wonder what the boys are up to now? Kind of miss them to be honest, feels weird just being back to the way things used to be. Me, Fox and one or two others just traveling and getting by with what we could."

He smirked. "Of course Fox was always like she is...joking and playing around like she is, but she cares for me a great deal. She slaps me alot in hopes I might get some sense about things." He chuckled as he went silent again. What was he to do? Should he tell her how he felt or did she already know about it?
"Hey kid...can I ask you something? There's been something I been meaning to ask you....."

Ingrid kept herself tucked up, tight and small, hoping nothing was looking too revealing... But why? She wanted his attention. So why hide the only thing that might actually do it? Ugh.. Men were confusing. When he mentioned Fox like that, her heart almost sunk into her stomach. Maybe he was only doing this because she was curious, not because he really 'liked' her that way. Fox was obviously the better option, closer to his age, and they'd known each other a long time.

She then looked up as he went quiet, blinking slightly. "Erm.. Sure. What's the matter?" She asked back softly, shuffling herself a bit closer.

He glanced at her, his face totally serious. "I want to know the truth. Why did you come with us? I've thought about it ever since we left the forest. You had your family back, you'd never have to see us again..especially after how I treated you at first, you didn't owe us..or me..anything and yet...you've done so much for Fox and Myself. So I want to know why you left everything behind....to come with us."

He needed an honest answer from her. How she answered and what she said would weigh heavily on him...he could feel it. This thought kept coming back to him no matter how much he tried to ignore it. He HAD to know....

She felt her heart almost stop. R-really? This? Now? She looked to her knees, as if they'd give the answer for her. She gulped and let out a breathe quietly. Then it all came back. She crawled over, sitting right by him and looking into the flickering fire with another light sigh.

"Because. You treated me like crap at the start because that was kinda your job. After that, you didn't. No one did. You got shot because you were followed back after being a dress. So you did something for me too.. And.. I couldn't bare to see you leave. I was alone a lot. I had minders take me everywhere, and the world revolved around me.. Here.. It doesn't. It revolves around you... Because..." Her voice trailed off as the words were getting harder and harder to find. She was 12, could she honestly say she knew what this word actually 'meant'. Actually mean it the way it was meant to be.. meant?

"Because I love you. I didn't wanna lose you." She spoke softly, feeling her face burn bright red. She stood herself up and brushed off her night dress to head back into the tent, as she couldn't bare to think about him just laughing or off, or say she was lying or anything like that.
But what she wouldn't give to get him to grab him and reply the way the movies always told people it was meant to happen...

"Love huh....?" He grabbed her wrist as she tried to head back to the tent. He stood still holding tightly onto her. "Listen close kid...I won't say this again." His eyes burrowed into her. "You say love, but I want you to think real hard about what that truly means. Loving someone means that you're willing to go farther, try harder, do more for that person that anyone else. Even when things get hard, you don't give up on them. You would sacrifice your life for that person if you had to. It's hard to breathe when they're gone and you feel relief and much safer when they're around."

He didn't know if she actually understood the concept of loving someone, but if she truly felt that way about him, then he wanted to hear it from her lips once again. He wanted her to know exactly what she was getting into. She looked like she was about to answer, but he cut her off. "Think carefully kid. What you say next not only impacts you, but everyone. If you choose this path, you may never be able to return home. You might become a criminal like me and be hunted by people. It would just be you, me and Fox from now on. Now that you know that...can you look me in the eye and say those words again?"

Her eyes didn't move or even blink. Maybe she did know what love was... When she was forced to go home, she felt like she could've stopped breathing. She sent her father in after him to save him after everything. She remembered that night when Fox pranked her, and he came out after her and put his arm around her. She felt safer there more than a bunch of body guards ever could.

Ingrid just smiled slowly, like everything she'd been feeling had just been explained to her, and it all finally made perfect sense. She was in love with a man that, in the real world, she'd have 0 chance with. But right here.. She had the only chance she'd ever get. "I love you, Richelieu.... And my name is Ingrid. Not 'kid'" She smiled, her eyes burning back into him before doing something completely nuts. She reached up with the arm that wasn't in his grip and pulled him down by his shoulder and kissed him the same way she did in the tent before. There was enough butterflies going around in her stomach and her heart, she had to let them all out in that kiss, just so she wouldn't explode.

That was what he wanted to hear. She made her choice and decided on him...With that, he kissed her back. In all of his years of thievery, never did he think that a kid could fall for him..or him for her. His hand holding her captive released its grip and wrapped around her, pulling her close to him.
"Personally...I'm glad you're staying Ingrid...but we're gonna have to get you a criminal name. Ingrid just doesn't strike fear into people...perfectly fine when out and about in town or when buying things from people, but not for other criminals." He chuckled as he smiled at her.

"By the way...you're a very good kisser." Foc snickered from the tent as she had been watching the entire thing. Finally...thought those two fools would never say anything. Yawning, she made her way back to her bed.

Richelieu smirked at her. "So Ingrid, what kind of name would you like for your new life?"

Ingrid smiled and didn't let go. Of course she wouldn't, mostly because she was scared she'd wake up and this be the best dream she'd ever had. She blushed when he mentioned about her being a good kissere, and wanted to mention that she only learnt that from him, but then she heard Fox's snicker. She rolled her eyes and looked to the tent. Of course that woman was only the whole time. Wouldn't expect anything less....

Now she had something new to think about. A new name?.. Oh geez. Well, Richelieu had Raven. And Fox had well... Fox. For them to all belong to the same group, it would be good to stick with the animal theme. But everything she thought of she realised was all cute and/or fluffy. That wasn't going to work... "Well, what would you call me?" She asked, almost teasing him a lot bit, but mostly just to see what he thought of her. If he said rat, she'd probably be the one to cut out his tongue... Hypothetically speaking...

He shrugged. "Hadn't really thought about it too much really. You're clever, sneaky, intelligent, and you have very little fear in the face of danger. You showed me that during the first encounter at my tent. My first thought.....bishop. You know...like the chess piece? If you don't like it, I'll have to think of something else later on...."

He stared back into the fire. He'd have to try and find some jobs around the area and start getting back into the swing of things before he got too rusty. Being out of practice for too long had serious repercussions for someone of his craft. You got sloppy or overconfident, you lost your touch, your techniques get less and less effective and suddenly, you're a shell of who you were before. He could not afford for that to happen.

She nodded, rather liking the sound of Bishop. If anyone else heard it, they certainly wouldn't expect a 12 year old girl to wonder in. So she just smiled and leant on Richelieu softly, starting to get sleepier. It was pretty late now, but she wanted to stay with Richelieu as long as possible, especially since she told him how she felt, finally..

(Sorry so short.. At a bit of a loss >< )

Richelieu fell asleep quite soon after she had cuddled next to him. It wasn't a normal sleep, but it was good enough. When he awoke, he could hear the sounds of the forest echoing around the camp. Birds, animals rustling around in the brush, the slight cackling of the dying fire. When he heard a twig snap, his eyes darted towards the direction of the noise. It was after that he heard human voices.

Great...he shook Bishop awake. "Kid...kid! wake up! Go get Fox and tell her we have company and then stay in the tent until we come get you." He kept his voice low as to wake her, but not alert the people outside the camp. They didn't sound dangerous, but if they were...he'd have to take care of them and if they weren't....then he'd have to do his job and rob them.
He didn't want her to see him do that...not yet. She liked him and he liked her. There was part of him that didn't want to risk that...not yet. She'd have to see it eventually...just not yet.

Her eyes fluttered open, feeling him shake her, and then put on instant alert. She nodded quickly, grabbing the blanket and quickly darting inside. Jeez, what a wake up! But this was life now. Dangerous. It was worth it, to be with Richelieu.. Ingrid then shook Fox up "Shh, someone's coming. We gotta stay in here, Raven said." She whispered gently, not making much sense as her brain was still waking up. She kept close to the tent opening though, listening..

Then all she did was worry. He was still recovering from a bullet wound to the shoulder.. And he wasn't wearing a shirt so they'd easily see his weakness and could use it against him, and really hurt him.. Or worse. She bit her lip, ringing the lace of her dress through her fingers, hoping to not hear him hurting...

Richelieu listened as the voices and noises got louder. When he saw them come into view, he knew they were bandits like him. Raggedy clothes, scars across their faces and arms among other notable features. When they saw him they all chuckled. To them, he was an easy target...easy money. They all trotted into camp and circled around him.

"So you out here all alone man?" "Nah..he ain't alone. Can't be with such a huge set-up here..who's with you?" Richelieu kept silent. "You better answer my friend..otherwise he might injure you more than you already are." The loudmouth of the group poked him in the shoulder, prompting a slight twinge of pain to go through his arm. "So? Who's with you?" Richelieu sighed. "Right now just me...and that's all I will need to take care of you three."

They all laughed until they looked at his face. He was stone faced serious as he looked at them. "You can leave your knives here. Don't try and play like you have guns because if you did, you'd have them out by now and since you don't, you'll all be dead before you can shoot me. Leave your money and whatever else of value you have and you can leave alive." The three men chuckled as one of them reached for his hidden pistol.

"You're dead man!" The loudmouth drew his knife and stabbed only to find Raven had dodged and grabbed hold of his arm, pulling him along and taking the weapon for himself before throwing him to the ground. The second had the gun and tried to jerk it out, but Raven threw the blade into the kids throat, listening to him gurgle frantically for air as he collapsed. The third stood there in fear as the loudmouth stood back up, trying to land a punch. Richelieu grabbed and broke his left hand as he looked over at the last one.

"When he dies, you better start running..because after he drops I'm grabbing that gun and firing every last shot after you." The kid just stood there in fear as Raven quickly grabbed the boys neck and snapped it, the echo of the break seeming to echo in the boys ears. The body dropped lifeless to the ground and Raven looked at the boy. "That's your cue kid." He took off like a flash and Richelieu sighed as he sat by the campfire. "Fox...get out here and clean them up please. You can bring Bishop if she wants to come out."

Ingrid felt like she held her breathe the whole time. Wincing. Praying. Please god, let him just be alright... She felt Fox give her a small reassuring pat, but she listened to the noises from the outside. Finally.. Everything went dead. But he spoke and she let out a breathe. Before Fox even got her mouth open, going to tell Ingrid it'd be best to stay inside, she was out. The scene wasn't the best. She turned a light shade green, gulping down the vomit that started to rise.

He... He did that? He got rid of them all, just like that? He just.. poof. 2 lives, completely gone. But something came over her, something that made her feelings all to clear yet again. Him. Sat there. She jogged over, hugging around his neck softly, hiding her big eyes against his 'good' shoulder. "Y-you're ok? Right?" She asked softly, slowly looking up, trying to phase out the dead by concentrating on the reason she stayed. The reason she came home. Of course, Fox was a big reason too. But him, for the most part, was the reason.

She kept herself against him, starting to slowly look around again, it all sinking into her once innocent mind that this was life now. This was really it. It was kill or be killed. Let the bad side out, or people destroy the good. Love, or live without it. And she couldn't do that. She kissed his cheek softly, tucking her little body against him fully.

Though she didn't realize that she was still in her night dress, and that he was still technically half naked. Fox snickering from the corner...

He sighed and held her close. Not the best way for her to be introduced to the ugly side of thievery, but it was bound to happen sooner or later. "Fox...get them out of here ok?" Fox said nothing, but went about dragging the first of the bodies out of the camp. She'd bring them to an isolate spot where she could work in peace, strip the bodies of any money, weapons, ammunition and clothing that was salvageable or could be pawned off and then left the body for whatever animal wanted it.

"Sorry that you had to be around for that Bishop. I wanted to wait until you were more settled in before you had to go through that, but now it seems like it was forced a little early...and yes, I'm fine. Robbers like that can't harm me unless I let them. Inexperienced fools that only prey on those weaker than them." He sighed as he relaxed. The morning sun had just started to rise and fill their camp with morning sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.