Steps too Far...

Status
Not open for further replies.
She nodded quietly, slowly coming to terms with everything going on. "Don't worry about me.. As long as you're alright, that the main thing" Ingrid breathed, pushing her fringe from her eyes. "I better start learning how to fight, huh?" she murred quietly. She just had this version of him and Fox getting hurt because someone had a hold of her, and she couldn't fight back. She'd have to practice. Somehow.

Bishop then let out a sigh and smiled, trying to forget about all the drama this morning, and just move on, for the best. "But first, I'll go to the town, get some supplies and scout things out a bit.. Will be good to see if they have any sort of decent pawn shop, for us to sell things at" She said softly, going back into the tent.

Now he wasn't looking, she could let out how she really felt. Fucking terrified. She held the fabric oveer her chest and covered her mouth. There was two dead people, right there! He did that! for their safety but.. Damn! Easy girl... don't lose it now. It's alright. All the important people are still alive.. Get yourself together! c'mon!, her mind kept telling her as the green colour faded away, and she got into one of the sweet little dresses she had. Going into town, it was important to play the part. The cutesy one. The one where no one would suspect anything. She took a few deep breathes, and got into the role.

That was one thing she could really thank her rich parents for. Acting lessons.

Richelieu watched her descend down the road and followed at a good distance. She definitely had the look of a young, innocent little girl and if there were more of them out there, she'd be target number one. He followed her until she reached the edge of town and kept watch from a distanced hillside. It would take a little bit to get down the hill and into the town, but he would do it if she encountered any trouble. He watched her go from stall to stall and whatever she bought, he could not tell from this distance.

Back at the river, Fox had finished stripping the second body of the goods that were around it. Few dollars in the pockets and a decent slightly used knife. She was so occupied that she did not hear the soft footstep behind her. "What do you think you're doing sweetheart?" Fox's eyes went wide as he turned, only to feel the swinging fist smash into her face. She crumpled to the ground, her face bruised and her body trembling. "You messed with our guys. I want to know who the man and girl are...." She had to keep silent. Raven and Bishop were still away and she would not say anything!
"The longer you wait, the more pain is going to be coming on you. Pick her up boys and tie her between those two trees. I want to have some fun with this one."

Please....Richelieu...hurry back.

Bishop didn't seem to notice Richelieu following, keeping her act up. And her guard, paranoid of most noises. She seemed to calm when she got into the village. Too many people to do an attack here. So for the must part, she just got food supplies. Cans, stuff easy to travel with and stuff that didn't go bad quickly. Some fruit, and some little munchies like chocolate, and marshmellows, thinking some smores and a good laugh would help them settle into their new home, and forget about what had happened earlier.

The money wasn't an issue. She was still in the mindset that daddy's card could fix anything they needed to get. But then, that reminded her.. Daddy.. Mom.. She did promise every now an then, just to let them know she was safe, and happy. She bit her lip, stopping to thinking. Richelieu said she'd lose her family to stay with him. She could cope with that, but could they? With that in mind, she settled on a bench to quickly write a letter. Only small, brief and vague.

Dear Mother and Father.
I made the right choice. They're not monsters. They're family now. They make me feel safe, and I'm happy. And you both always said "Do whatever makes you happy" right? Well this does. He does. I know things are going to get harder and I've got a lot to learn, but I can't turn back now. Try not to worry about me, maybe those fencing classes will be useful, I know my acting classes are working well for me now.
Thank you. For everything.

She left it open ended. She couldn't bare to put good bye, or I love you, or anything like that. She left like that would've felt like a punch in the gut to them. She sighed, and got the post office to sort the rest out for her, scribbling out the address she'd written out so many times.. Mostly at police stations when she got lost. But that's what started all this. Getting lost in the woods and ended up in a twisted nightmare that had happy times in it. And she didn't want to wake up any more.

After leaving. thinking of fencing.. There was a little iron work shop. "Blacksmiths"... She might not be any good with a gun, but she was small, she could get right next to people without them really having time to react, so having something on hand for close-combat would be useful. Especially now. Going in, she almost got laughed out. But she had the money. Money spoke to everyone. Honest men and thieves a like. So they set to work, and she'd pick up her order tomorrow. For now. Home.

Home... She got everything packed and strapped up to the side of the horse, and set back up the hill towards the tents.

Richelieu followed her back to the camp. Since she had so much supplies, she would be a prime target for looters..especially being alone and so young. Once they got back, he immediately noticed that Fox was still gone. She should have been back by now. Wonder if anything happened to her? He didn't follow her into camp, but took off towards the location he assumed she'd be. Once he got there, he saw Fox with the other bandits. They had cut off her clothes and were rubbing their hands all over her body as she tried to get away.

Richelieu was outraged. He wanted his sweet revenge, but needed to take them out quietly. Rushing in was not going to help him..or her right now. He snuck in and grabbed a metal pipe that one of them had left lying around. Standing behind the men, he whacked them all once in the head, watching them fall to the ground. The leader of the group was still semiconscious. "Who...who are....." Richelieu untied Fox and gave her one of the mens cloaks. "Fox...Bishop just got back to camp. Go and keep her company. I'll be gone for awhile so I want both of you to wait for me."

Fox looked at him. "What are you going to do?" He didn't respond, but she knew these men were in for it. They had crossed a sacred line with him and once that was crossed, he rarely forgave..and he never forgot. "Be back soon Richelieu." "Three days Fox. I'll need that long." She nodded and wrapped the cloak tightly around her naked body as she made her way back to their camp. Richelieu held the pipe above his head. "The next few days are going to make you wish that you never set eyes on me or my crew. My name is Dark Raven..but after I'm through with all of you, I think they'll be calling me the Blood Raven." Another swing and the leader fell again, unconscious.

Ingrid noticed she was alone. Looking around. Huh?... Odd. She shrugged it off, knowing Richelieu could look after himself from what she heard, and Fox was well.. Fox. She was awesome like that. She got the fire burning again, and got herself changed back into her playsuit. The one Richelieu said looked the cutest on her. She let out a sigh as she sat herself down, the horse quietly happy with the large pail of water and food.

It was quiet... Too quiet. She groaned, rubbing her eyes, still not able to get the dead body shapes out of her head, or the grass. They were there, staring at her. Though flattened grass couldn't stare... She decided to go to the flowers and sit herself in the middle, starting to make the round wreaths. It kept ehr mind occupied, and less stressed, or worried. It wasn't dark, so she had nothing to worry about yet..

Right?

Fox eventually made her way back to camp, the cloak wrapped tightly around her body. When she entered the camp, she saw Bishop hard at work and when she saw that Fox had returned, she smiled. "I'm going to relax for awhile Ingrid. Raven will be back later...." Her statement was interrupted by a horrendous scream that pierced the air and made Fox shudder. Raven was working and that was one of the reasons she had been sent back. When he really got to working on someone who wronged him, Raven could get nasty and he didn't want Bishop to see him like that.

Fox had only seen him be like that one other time and she still got occasional nightmares from it. It was like he became a whole 'nother person. He became sadistic, murderous, sinister. He thrived on hearing the screams of his victims and never stopped no matter how much they begged or pleaded for their lives. The only time he was done was when they eventually died. After that, he became the same old Richelieu. She quickly darted into the tent and went about getting dressed.

Ingrid looked up at Fox, and went to smile and hug her as usual.. But the aura was wrong. Something was wrong. In general. She knew there was something not right here, when she opened her mouth to ask, the screams cut her off, quickly grabbing her ears to stop them getting inside her head. She started shaking, and Fox had gone off.

Well.. It was obvious that she needed to be alone, but still, there was still the part in her that wanted to go comfort her. She hugged herself gently. What to do.. what to do...

So, she did the only thing she knew how to. Cook. Fox would need some food, and tea, something that might cheer her up. Like food could fix what had happened... but she didn't know what had gone on, so her heart was in the right place at least. Got the fire going with the way Richelieu had taught her how, and sat until it warmed up. She got the bits of meat and made a decent meal out of them, the edible flowers near by and the vegetables she had in the pack. She'd save making smores and things for when Richelieu was back...

Why wasn't he back?... Was that scream him? NO.. No nonono.. Don't worry. This is him. Of course he can take care of himself.. But.

"What the hell is going on today?..." she murred to herself. First one load of raiders this morning.. then this? Something was wrong. Either they'd have to move camp because of being in the biggest hotspot of theives and goons ever, or something big was gonna start brewing. She didn't like the thought of that and shook her head, nestling back back into the flower patch while the food cooked.

It'll be ok by morning.

He took his time with the men and once he was done, they had begged, pleaded, cursed him and his family and even tried to take their own life before he stopped them and continued to work on torturing them. When he stood to finally go home, there was barely anything left save for piles of strewn organs and what looked like buckets of blood all over the area. He began his trek home, each step slow and tired. He had spent two whole days with those men and he hadn't seen that amount of fear in so long.

It was relieving and at the same time, horrifying. He had gone back to something he never thought he would ever go back to. He was a thief, a liar, a murderer, but he never liked being a butcher. He only became like that when his close family or loved ones became victims in such a way that he felt they deserved such a fate. When he got back to the camp, he was exhausted and he saw Ingrid cooking. He regretted that she was going to see him like this, but at this point he didn't have a choice.

The two days past pretty quickly. But Ingrid did her best. She offered Fox some comfort, and made sure she kept eating and didn't really want for anything except the peace she'd asked for. She did her best to keep away, but she was getting pretty lonely. Even going down to the town once or twice just so she could hear some voices.

She wasn't good at this whole being alone thing. She wasn't really alone, Fox was there, but she didn't want to keep bothering her. So, she carried on, cleaning down the horses and making sure they were all happy, keeping the fires going and cooking. Being down at the town at one point, she picked up the thin sword that she'd now carry with her, giving it a little practice now and then when she was sure no one was watching, and Fox was asleep. The trees got the brunt of the practice, but she kept switching trees so she didn't do too much damage.

But this was day two, and Fox still hadn't really come out for much. She bit her lip, trying to think if it was a good idea to see if she could go find Richelieu... He was gone a while, and even if he could handle himself, it wasn't a good feeling when she just knew there was something going on.

She looked up, and over the fire.. There he was. Covered in blood, guts and god knows what, looking exhausted. But that didn't stop her. She tuned out what was on his clothes and was more bothered about him, jogging and clinging to his front when she bumped into him, resting her head against the top of his stomach. "A-are you ok? I was getting worried about you, y'know.." She said softly, slowly looking up and putting on a smile.

He'd done it again.. hadn't he? He'd killed someone, and it had something to do with why Fox was hiding.. And the screams coming from deeper in the forest. And it didn't help that he stunk. Sweat, blood and everything else.. She pulled back a bit and just tried to act indifferent about it. "Go get changed into som'at' clean.. I'll go wash this stuff while dinner cooked" she ordered softly, trying to hold in the urge to ask what the hell was going on.

He stopped when she bumped into him. His mind snapped back into reality when she hugged against him and he sighed. "I'm sorry kid. I never wanted you to see this side of me. It's not something I want anyone close to me to see....it's not pretty and it's not the best side of me." He took off his shirt and pants and dropped them on the ground. "I'm going to check in on Fox and then wash up. We'll all talk tonight...." He walked into the tent and was hugged by Fox the second he crossed the threshold. She cried into his arms for almost two whole minutes before she composed herself.

"Sorry boss...I should be more professional." He shook his head. "The three of us are going to talk tonight Fox. It's going to be tough..for everyone, but I need you to be strong for me. Think you're up for it?" She nodded and smiled. "Yea...she can't be outside the loop forever and we have to tell her sometime. If you think she can handle it, then you can tell her." Richelieu nodded and grabbed some clean clothes before heading out for the nearest stream of water to clean up.

Ingrid didn't really say anything much about it, just went to the steam with the wash board and set about washing the blood out of Richelieu's clothes. Things just weren't right. She sighed lightly, brushing her hair back and scrubbed. That was the next thing on the list. Some hair bands or.. clips or something to stop her fringe getting in her eyes. Her hair was getting longer and starting to get in the way...

Or she could just get it cut off? Into a pixie cut or something? That'd be pretty cute, and it would stop half the bother. She put Richelieu's clothes across the rocks near by so they'd dry in the sun, sitting on another rock and just watching the steam go by.

Jeez.. I don't like this.. I don't like this at all. Sure, Richelieu has to do what he does to protect us, and I guess those people kinda deserve it.. But what did they do to Fox, and why is she so shady about being touched just recently. Not cool.. I don't like this. Secrets and stuff. I thought as this whole family thing, we weren't supposed to keep secrets.

She sighed again, laying back on the rock and drew little cloud shapes in her head, and probably would do for a while. She didn't even notice Richelieu coming through to wash himself up.

Richelieu had gone to the river and washed the blood and guts off of his body, relishing the first bath he had taken in the last few days. He finally felt the tension and rage he had fed off of start to disappear and fade and he sighed, knowing that Bishop would want answers to what had happened. He wouldn't lie to her...she was family now and he would explain everything. She might not like the answer she got, but it would be the truth.

When he got back to camp, he was refreshed, clean and dressed in nice, clean clothes. He walked over to her and smirked. "Hey kid, I take it you want to talk. Fox will be joining us shortly and after that, we'll eat and relax for the night. So ask whatever questions are rattling around in the little head of yours and I'll tell you what I know." He sat right next to her and waited for her to ask. Fox would come out of the tent when she was ready.

Ingrid sat with her arms crossed over her knees and then her chin resting on them. Pretty flexible like that, but she was still young, so it wasn't all that hard to belief. She just let out a sigh and shrugged softly. "I can fill in most myself from what I haven't been told, just the way things have been... Just.. What happened? In general? First everything was ok, the night minute we get jumped by raiders, I go into town for a little while, then everything goes to.. crap." She grumbled softly.

She guessed it was another raider jump, and they'd probably done something to Fox, and that was probably along the same lines as what some of the old group wanted to do to her when they all first met, so.. That explains that. But it as better not to jump to conclusions. Especially as she was only going off the fact Fox couldn't stand being touched or looked at fully at the moment, and Richelieu came back covered in blood like it did with the first set of thieves that attacks. Was it that simple, or had she missed something.

"Just.. really.. What happened?"

Fox came from the tent and sat across from Richelieu and Ingrid, her eyes focused on the ground between the three of them. "Our past lives are....complex. The only ones that know what we did or who we were is the two of us because we trust each other that much. The only other person that we want to tell..is you. You're family now....." Richelieu sighed as he began telling her what exactly he had kept from everyone.

"Before we became thieves, I was...'persuaded' to become a torturer at a young age. A reclaimer of secrets and lies. I did horrible things to people...things worse than what you see in nightmares. Many people died and I became very good at my job. Fox...she was a....she was a private girl for people. A slave to be brought into anyone's bed. She hated living that life and never wanted it, but alas, we were both forced to do so. Our captor...was a old friend of your father. He'd flaunt the Arnstien name like he was one of them and use it to get away with whatever he wanted. One day, I'd had enough and refused to do what he asked me to do. I got those scars on my back that day, but I also got my freedom. He wanted me to torture and execute Fox for not performing as well as she used to and I couldn't. She attacked him from behind and I made him my last victim...until today."

He sighed. "Those men....brought back those memories for us both and I found myself going back to the old life. Bandits and thieves are always arguing and fighting amongst themselves. Some can be reasoned with and others won't stop until they win or they die." He gazed at Ingrid. "I never wanted to show you that turn of my life. It's not a point I'm proud of or wish to remember....but it's part of who I am. I would do worse to someone if they did that to you. I hope that you don't think less of us Bishop." He glanced away and sighed..waiting for her to respond.

Ingrid didn't say much for a minute. It took a while for everything to sink in. So that was it. That's who they truly were. But even knowing this.. Inside, the feelings hadn't changed. She still felt the same about Richelieu. About the kiss. About everything that had happened. And Fox too. She was still glad she came back for her. Knowing everything, honestly, only made her love them more.

"You two are pretty big idiots for a pair of thieves and stuff, you know that right?"

Fox went to go on the defensive, but something in Ingrid's smile stopped her.

"The past I don't care about. It just makes you who you are, and I love you both this way, so why would it really effect me about the jobs you did once? Sure, I'm mad people did that to you guys, but I ain't mad about you." She smiled warmly, linking her fingers with Richelieu's and patting the log next to her for Fox to come round the fire and sit by her. She then jsut leant her head on Richelieu's shoulder, and let Fox decide whether to cuddle up with them or not, since it was obviously she didn't really like having people touch her at the minute.

"Next time, just tell me."

Richelieu laughed as Ingrid spoke. "hahaha...we should have seen this one coming Fox. The logic of children is never wrong..remember? Thanks kid...we needed that". He kissed the top of her head as Fox sat next on the opposite side of Bishop, smiling slightly. "Alright Bishop, you got food ready? To be honest, I'm ravished and could eat an inn out of food."
Fox giggled a little, obviously relaxing. "Me too. I could definitely go for some good food."

Richelieu smiled. This kid...she's something else. Not only did she fall in love with me...ME of all people....but she doesn't care about all the horrible stuff we've done. Most people would shy away after hearing that, but not her. She's definitely something else. He felt his stomach growl and he laughed again. "So how bout it Bishop? You got food we can eat?"

Ingrid smiled and nodded, standing up and peeping over the pot. "Looks down, it's been on since the morning with the meat and the gravy so it went all soft, and the vegetables were probably done before we started talking, so that's fine." She smiled warmly, going to find out the bowls and the bag of bread she'd brought to go with it.

"Oh, and that reminds me!" she giggled, going to the horse's satchel, that was held by one of the lower tree branches and pulled out a few brightly colourd packets. Marshmellows, cramcrackers and chocolate. "I brought stuff to make smores" She grinned, shuffling back into her seat and putting them behind the log so they didnt get close to the fire and melt or something. "Thought they'd be a kinda nice way to celebrate our new home"

Richelieu laughed. "Stew and s'mores...can't get any better than that." Fox scooted closer to the fire and started to get herself warmer. "Besides Bishop, we technically don't have a home. We wander place to place....sometimes we'll stay in one place for awhile but never for too long." He took one of the sticks and stuck a marshmallow on it before serving himself some stew.
Fox dished herself up a good portion of the hot stew and smiled. "It smells great Bishop."

Raven and Fox sat and ate for a good portion of the night, laughing and chatting with their cute little cook. Once the sun started to fall, Richelieu sat next to the fire again as Fox helped clean up and get some of their lesser needed items packed up and stored away. The surrounding darkness was quiet save for the slight breeze and the chirping of crickets.

Ingrid shrugged softly. She knew they'd move about, and this was never be the settled 'home' land but that was ok.. Staying in one place too long bored her. But now, staying here too long would be dangerous, so she didn't have to get bored. She sat back and served up her food, smiling lightly. Everything was finally settled again. The happy memories that she'd keep forever. And she was getting used to the late night, early rise thing.

Roasting marshmellow after marshmellow on the fire, she half leant on Richelieu, being rather comfortable that way. It was nice. And it was that time of year that the fireflies were coming out. So.. She decided she'd pick up some jars tomorrow, maybe catch a few. But then again, she was more focusing on the fact that she hadn't seen Richelieu for a few days now, even though she understood, didn't mean that she didn't miss him.

Richelieu cuddled next to Ingrid, letting her get close and snuggle next to him. He had been gone all this time taking care of those nuisances and then coming back rather eerily. He was glad that she didn't flip over who they used to be. He could tell that Fox was so much more comfortable around Bishop now that she was fully accepted. Still, Raven felt his mind wander now and again.

He knew there were still people out there that had it out for them...Fox especially. Old clients that never wanted to let go, jealous lovers and greedy entrepreneurs who smelled a giant payday. As for Raven there were always rivals, authorities, general mishaps and the safety of his crew. He'd have to get Bishop started with a weapon, a dagger most likely. He couldn't remember if she had one yet....these last few days were just too hectic to keep track of anything.
Still, all he cared about was right now, he had this awesome girl practically on his lap that cared for him unconditionally and he wanted her to be happy, no matter the cost. "Say Bishop, how about after this you and me spend some time alone? Maybe round the campfire?"

Status
Not open for further replies.