Star Wars: The Force Awakens Discussion (Spoilers Inside)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I always kind of wondered how many people who worked on the Death Star ever expected it to be used on an inhabited planet. I mean, in our world we keep big nuclear stockpiles maintained and staffed as a deterrent; would it be unreasonable to assume the Death Star wouldn't have been seen the same way?

Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
Um... Guys. Stalin, Hitler, Genghis only have the blood of millions on them.

Star Wars already has a man with the blood of billions.

Star-Wars-Grand-Moff-Tarkin.jpg
God damn I love that man.

Knowing his backstory makes it even better

You know, I always kind of wondered how many people who worked on the Death Star ever expected it to be used on an inhabited planet. I mean, in our world we keep big nuclear stockpiles maintained and staffed as a deterrent; would it be unreasonable to assume the Death Star wouldn't have been seen the same way?
Not really, the Empire is full of people just trying to make a living and/or serve their Galaxy.

I just realized, they should have made Fin's Stormtrooper Code 24601.

Honestly, since most of the forces were just clones, they obviously had no opinion, and most of the officers and other personnel were obviously so indoctrinated Nazi Germany style into being mindlessly obedient to orders and believing that everything they do is justified that I don't really think there's any basis for comparison to ordinary people.

People don't use nukes because of MAD, as Whopper in War Games states, 'the only winning move is not to play'.

In the case of the deathstar, quite obviously there is no mutually assured destruction of any kind, it's just a game changing weapon that largely got beaten by a fair bit of dumb luck.

In Force Awakens it's pretty clear the First Order has NO qualms about using Starkiller on the Republic, and almost seem to take great delight in annihilating several worlds of a couple billion people.

So, no, I don't think so at all.

The opening part in the movie felt pretty unreal. I never thought i'd see a star wars movie in theaters :D :D :D

As for the movie it's self, I quite liked it... Though it didn't feel like star wars to me, and I'm gonna try to explain why.

For starters, the people were actually people that just happened to be in the star wars universe. In past movies, the main characters were just sorta characters to me. But in this movie, people like Fin/Rey felt like they were just people who were in situations, and acted how they would act. Is that a reflection on JJ as a director as opposed to George? Perhaps. But it's something I thought was a bonus.

They were REALLY trying hard to get rid of the prequel stuff. The 3 quickest examples that come to mind is
1. They destroyed coruscant (Which by the way, nobody seemed too sad or anything that 5 or so planets just got destroyed.)
2. When that one person was saying "The dark side takes many forms. The sith, the empire, the first order" Notice how she skipped the CIS. The thing led by Count Dooku, and who's general was the very infamous General Grievous, and IS a major turning point in the entire galaxy (And I heard also why allot of citizens have a bit of distrust in droids) I just find it odd how she completely skips the CIS, and I don't think it was any secret that the Sith was controlling it.
3. They're called the resistance, yet they mentioned a republic army? I don't fully understand why there still needs to be a resistance (Which are the rebels) if there is already an army... Oh I know why, because we can't have anything from the prequels anymore XP Well regardless, the republic sure learned the hard way for (I guess) Taking a backseat row to all of this.

Rey being OP-
That's hard to say, some of ya made some pretty good points about how we don't know too much about her yet so maybe she did get some training once upon a time.

As for fun thoughts I had
The MOMENT I saw the trench on the bottom right of the screen, I knew there was gonna be a trench run to the core thing.

The technology got REAL good o.o I didn't even know that thing was supposed to be a hologram, I thought Ren's master was ACTUALLY that big at first XD And the blasters... Never in a video game or movie have I felt the power of laser weapons. (Or plasma) not in halo, not in the original star wars, not in the prequels. But this movie did a damn good job with that. It's a change I like though they're getting a bit too carried away with these super weapons. Just think the republic should have some kind of counter by now. Speaking of which

The republic-
They mentioned the republic army. When they said "We lost half our fleet" I so expected the republic army to show up as back up and wreck... But they had to stick to a new hope I guess XP Parts of me wish the next movie will be called "Return of the clones" Or even "The clones strike back" as the clones got REALLY screwed by the empire/first order, both the original clones, and these new ones that are being hinted at within the first order. I just think it's time for the clones to get some sweet, much needed, revenge.

As to why it didn't feel like star wars... I think it was just the acting. People felt normal, the star wars I'm used to is that the main characters aren't really "Normal" but are driven by the plot, almost like their being written. These people didn't really feel written, and as such, got rid of the star wars feel from me a bit. Or maybe it's because it's hardly anything to do with "Jedi" or "Sith" Sure, they're mentioned. But that just felt about it really. (BTW, notice how Kylo Ren, nor his master had sith eyes... Just something I thought was interesting)

@Pharaoh Shadon Just one thing out of all you said. That wasn't Coruscant...The Starkiller base was in the Outer Rim...they destroyed a nearby System that was Republic controlled.

Why the resistance still exits? Because the Republic focuses mainly on the Core Worlds, not caring much about the Outer Rim, but the Resistance is the only one that is trying to fight the First Order/Empire while the Republic is content with leaving them out in the Outer Rim.

EDIT: It was the Honsian System...which Coruscant is not located in.

@Pharaoh Shadon Just one thing out of all you said. That wasn't Coruscant...The Starkiller base was in the Outer Rim...they destroyed a nearby System that was Republic controlled.

Why the resistance still exits? Because the Republic focuses mainly on the Core Worlds, not caring much about the Outer Rim, but the Resistance is the only one that is trying to fight the First Order/Empire while the Republic is content with leaving them out in the Outer Rim.

EDIT: It was the Honsian System...which Coruscant is not located in.
You have no idea how glad I am that I was proven wrong about those :D :D :D The future is looking potentially brighter now, those two things I felt are MASSIVE missed opportunity... But since I was wrong, the opportunity is still there ^^

Oh, and I have one more thing about how Fin was called a traitor by everyone. I don't think it matters if most people know him or not. Lets take the Edward Snowden thing for example. Do you really think half the people calling him a traitor actually knew him? If I remember correctly, he was just a private contractor, not even a direct government employee (Could be wrong about his position) but point is, ALLOT of people called him a traitor and despite not knowing him in person, even citizens did too.

Even so, there is HEAVY destain for deserters in military's. You see a deserter you don't know, you're probably gonna feel betrayed. So yes, he was just a lowly soldier, but he was still a deserter none the less, regardless of how much he may, or may not have done to screw them in the end.

Also, something funny, my friend RAGED out when Fin turned on the light saber. Why? He pressed the wrong button apparently. I forgot what the button he pressed did (Something about intensity/distance I think he said, or maybe it was the mode switching from training mode to normal mode) point is, it wasn't the right button according to him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah. The resistence thing is becouse The First Order rose out of a peace treaty with the remnants of the old empire I am pretty sure.

Honestly, since most of the forces were just clones, they obviously had no opinion, and most of the officers and other personnel were obviously so indoctrinated Nazi Germany style into being mindlessly obedient to orders and believing that everything they do is justified that I don't really think there's any basis for comparison to ordinary people.

People don't use nukes because of MAD, as Whopper in War Games states, 'the only winning move is not to play'.

In the case of the deathstar, quite obviously there is no mutually assured destruction of any kind, it's just a game changing weapon that largely got beaten by a fair bit of dumb luck.

In Force Awakens it's pretty clear the First Order has NO qualms about using Starkiller on the Republic, and almost seem to take great delight in annihilating several worlds of a couple billion people.

So, no, I don't think so at all.

By the time A New Hope occurs, it's like 30 years after the Clone Wars. Almost all of the Stormtroopers are human recruits at this point, and Luke himself was planning on enlisting with the Imperial Academy to make a life for himself before his aunt and uncle got BBQ'd.

The First Order is a different beast altogether, abducted child soldiers and all that.

• Thank You
Reactions: Astaroth
Oh, and I have one more thing about how Fin was called a traitor by everyone. I don't think it matters if most people know him or not. Lets take the Edward Snowden thing for example. Do you really think half the people calling him a traitor actually knew him? If I remember correctly, he was just a private contractor, not even a direct government employee (Could be wrong about his position) but point is, ALLOT of people called him a traitor and despite not knowing him in person, even citizens did too.

Even so, there is HEAVY destain for deserters in military's. You see a deserter you don't know, you're probably gonna feel betrayed. So yes, he was just a lowly soldier, but he was still a deserter none the less, regardless of how much he may, or may not have done to screw them in the end.

Also, something funny, my friend RAGED out when Fin turned on the light saber. Why? He pressed the wrong button apparently. I forgot what the button he pressed did (Something about intensity/distance I think he said, or maybe it was the mode switching from training mode to normal mode) point is, it wasn't the right button according to him.

The badass Stormtrooper who recognizes and fights Finn was from the same unit. It's why he recognized his face immediately and got legitimately furious at him. They'd probably even known each other on a social level.

• Thank You
The badass Stormtrooper who recognizes and fights Finn was from the same unit. It's why he recognized his face immediately and got legitimately furious at him. They'd probably even known each other on a social level.
The same unit that the guy who smeared Finns helmet comes from. There is a story, i think a comic, where they show that guy was the slow and least proffecient in their unit. It was only Finn who cared for him.

The same unit that the guy who smeared Finns helmet comes from. There is a story, i think a comic, where they show that guy was the slow and least proffecient in their unit. It was only Finn who cared for him.

It's been confirmed that the storm trooper that died in Finn's arms was his squad mate Fn-2003 or "Slips", a guy known for his clumsiness.

The storm trooper who attacks Finn with a riot baton is most likely Fn-2000, another squad mate who had a reputation for being proficient in melee combat and would personally recognize Finn's face.

• Thank You
By the time A New Hope occurs, it's like 30 years after the Clone Wars. Almost all of the Stormtroopers are human recruits at this point, and Luke himself was planning on enlisting with the Imperial Academy to make a life for himself before his aunt and uncle got BBQ'd.

The First Order is a different beast altogether, abducted child soldiers and all that.
Where did you get that bit of information?

Well yes, but I'm also talking about people like Kylo ren too who called him traitor despite (probably) not knowing him other than name.

Well yes, but I'm also talking about people like Kylo ren too who called him traitor despite (probably) not knowing him other than name.
Kylo knew of him. Kylo even stops to look at him after the massacre. Finn is also supposed to be one of his guys, one of the orders troopers. It was Ren who instinctively knew Finn was the guy who defected when they said "He had help from the inside." The order is super important to Ren. It is a no-brainer for him who has allready shown to be prone to rage, to flip his shit at some low rank nobody fucking up his big plans.

Also. We are dealing with fucking space nazies. These are ideology driven people. They live and breathe for a cause, they believe in this cause. Ren is the embodiment of said cause. Finn is the guy wanting out of the couse. There is no out, only death. Ren is gonna flip his shit.

Where did you get that bit of information?

I can dig it up when I get home, but it's honestly a quick Google search away. Wookipedia is your friend!

Kylo Ren knows the troopers well enough to identify them at a glance by their service names. Keep in mind they don't have real names, and when Finn and Poe are stealing the TIE fighter, it's Kylo who immediately identifies him after taking notice of his refusal to gun down civilians.

I actually kind of like Kylo Ren in that regard; he seems to know his soldiers, and he doesn't seem to condemn them for having human moments; honestly, I think he would have ignored Finn not shooting had he not escaped.

Status
Not open for further replies.