Spyridon Stathis Boarding School for Young Demigods

Belle walked to the next class. She might as well, what else would she do with the rest of her day? She put her hair up in a unique bun with a white flower in it. It looked beautiful, and it matched with her dress. She couldn't quite recall what her next class was, but while wondering the halls, she proceeded outside to try and stop by the archery range. Instead she saw the big crowd of students, she pulled out her slip. This was indeed her class...

Many saw her and were wondering why she was even here. She had never once participated in this class once in her life. The teacher saw her. She didn't like him. He was one of the more harsh teachers, but while giving him a look and backing one step, he came jogging at her. She turned around and began to walk, but something grabbed her arm as she spun,"Where do you think you're going?". She didn't bother to fight back, he spoke again,"This is a new year. At least show up for this class this year." He guided her towards the center of the field, though, it was more of a constant pushing. By the time she was in the middle of the field, she tripped and fell on her thigh. She stared at the ground for a moment.

She stood up, looking around as people were gossiping about her. She clenched her fists. Perhaps it was time to show everyone what she could really do, what she was really made of. People gave surprised expressions that she was even out on the field. Most people had only seen her shoot a bow, and that's the most she could ever do. Her aim was incredible, but her shielding powers were very slim. Instead, she calmed herself. She took a few deep breaths.

She raised her hand in front of her.

She looked dead ahead as her eyes began to change a bright yellow color.

A butterfly.

A mere butterfly was flying around her. Glowing, the color of yellow. It was only a little bright.

Many other flying creatures that she had formed with her magic had began to follow until the field was filled with light. She didn't bother to use a shield, it wasn't worth it. What would she do? Just stand there with a shield around her? She flicked her head up.

Perhaps this wasn't enough for everybody. She had just the plan.

She looked around her, raising her hand in front of her. Upon opening it, a shield began to form around her. Though, the shield then began to become decorated with several flowers, and then a rather large rose was at the top of the shield. As it bloomed, a ray of light began to shoot into the sky, lasting for about three seconds. She staggered back as everything began to fade. She simply ignored everything and walked out of the middle of the field and to a rock. She leaned against it, looking away from the crowd.

While Abe was a bit off-put by Kam's sudden hostility toward her classmates, he put it out of mind immediately. He was sure she had her history and a valid reason to dislike some of these people, and what Abe had seen today that that theory seem even more valid. "Hey, don't worry about it. Can't be friends with everyone after all. And yeah, lunch sounds great, where do you si-..." The large boy trailed off and something caught his attention. While he was talking he heard the teacher off to the side, but as he most likely just harassing another student, Abe paid him no mind. However, when the light show began, the late arrival had Abe's full attention.

Wow. Was the only thing Abe could think as the field was flooded with soft light, in the forms of flowers and golden creatures. He stood in quiet awe as a beacon of light penetrated the sky. When it was over, Abe wasted no time. "Excuse me for a second guys, there's something I still need to take care of." He said over his shoulder, already walking toward the girl leaned against the rock which he had recently caused to fly.

As soon as he reached her, Abe was already speaking quickly and somewhat incoherently, yet in a gentler voice than his usual. "Hey, are you alright? I tried to talk to you earlier, but you ran off! Don't worry about those guys by the way, I already got the whole thing settled. You're not hurt are you?" While Abe was worried that the sudden barrage of question might scare her off again, he couldn't help but worry about her. He still felt that most of what had happened was his fault in the first place.

The bitterness in Kam's voice as she spoke so dismissively of the other students sent a pang of sadness through Zarek; unfortunately, the boy could empathize with the feeling, even if he was ignorant of the cause. "Don't apologize, it's cool that you were thinking about us. I don't know if I could have handled it getting much colder," he smiled and rubbed his arms in a little mock-shiver despite the temperature having come back up to normal summer levels. Suppressing the urge to lay a hand on her shoulder to reassure her- the thought made his hands sweat a little- he nodded in acceptance of her offer.

Zarek was about to speak again, when his thoughts were interrupted by the strange girl from their earlier class being somewhat frog-marched to the center of the circle of students. As the clearing was suffused with golden light, he found his mouth hanging open a little at the spectacular display. It was beautiful, no doubt, and a glance up at Abe showed the boy to be as awestruck as Zarek himself. When the light faded and the girl abruptly walked away and seemed to resume her haughty detachment, he was hardly surprised when Abe excused himself to go talk to her.

With a shake of his head, he turned to Kam. "First day and already the big guy's got it bad."

Kam smiled at Zarek's reassurances, thankful for them. She would have thanked him, and Abe for that matter, but was distracted by their distractions, and followed their gaze to the girl they'd been talking about when she first got into class. While her powers were impressive, she delegated to not act that way. Kam didn't enjoy the company of people who acted cold when she was cold. Not only did it insult her slightly, it indirectly made people not enjoy her company by not enjoying the other's. If that made any sense. It didn't in her mind either. Still, she looked on politely, trying to make it appear that she was somewhat impressed.

Zarek and Abe, when she looked over, seemed amazingly awestruck, something that made her smile slightly. As the girl walked away, Kam once again assumed her stoic gaze, watching as Abe ran off after her. As Zarek spoke to her, she nodded, chuckling a little.

The only thought that was given to Belle as the young man began to walk over was,'Wonderful...'. Obviously, it was meant sarcastically. She had no idea what he did to the three of those kids, but whatever he did -- she didn't know what to think about it. She never liked being helped by others, she never wanted to grow close to people -- she never wanted to be abandoned again. She knew her father was never allowed to talk to her, but running off to her Aunt's place was even harsh. She wished she would have just died then and there, the day that she left the home. But now was not the time to think about that.

She looked at the young man with assertive eyes,
"I'm fine...". That's all she said before turning her head. She never thought her first day would be so dramatic, so painful. She wanted it to end, to fall asleep and begin a new day. She needed something to clear her mind... Belle looked around, twitching her ear. Before walking off she simply said to him,"I have to go." She then began to walk off.

Of course Abe had dealt with people like her before, who distanced themselves from others at every opportunity, but nobody had come close to the coldness and disdain radiating from this girl. It was frankly getting a bit ridiculous. Abe held his hand out toward the long-haired girl as she started away and called out. "Hey wait! Look, I'm sorry about how I acted during class earlier. I should have handled it a lot better, and I apologize if I came off as aggressive or hostile. It's my first day you know? I've never been good at dealing with rejection in the first place, and I was a bit nervous at the time. I hope there's no hard feelings." As Abe finished his heartfelt apology he stretched his hand out farther, hoping for a shake or anything to keep the girl from just walking off. Something about her told him that it wasn't just Abe, she was this way with everyone and probably hadn't had an actual friend for years, if ever. Being completely alone was hard, Abe knew from experience. If he could do anything to keep cold solitude away from what Abe believed to be a good person, he would without a second thought.

Watching as the other students were called upon one by one for demonstrations before the instructor began to lecture, Zarek found himself once more alone with Kam. He watched her for a while, quietly, and considered her comment about the hostility coming from her mother. He didn't know if he was buying that, but wasn't sure how to broach the subject and not ruin what could potentially become a close friendship.

Or more. She's really pretty and you can actually talk to her without sounding like a fool. Zarek gave his head a shake to quiet the overly-hopeful voice. Having a friend was more than enough for him, there was no reason to go getting all weird.

"So... lunch," He spoke quietly to not draw the further ire of the instructor, "Is it good here or do they serve normal cafeteria stuff? Or is there some sort of special diet that demigods have to eat? I hope it involves fries, if it is." Zarek sighed inwardly. Lame.

Belle stopped as he came jogging after her. After his sentence, she felt a bit flattered, though she knew he wasn't good. His first impression still made him seem arrogant and low-tempered. She definitely didn't want to be close to someone of the likes of him, yet she contained a smile across her face like she was thinking good. She looked at him in the eyes, still containing the smile,"Thank you.". She hesitated before looking away from him,"I just need some time to think... I'll be on my way now.".

Hoping that he wouldn't follow, she proceeded to the music room. It was almost lunch time, meaning the music room would be empty. And normally she wouldn't eat during the school day, spending her time somewhere else. Upon walking the halls, she had finally reached the large music room which was filled with seats, a stand, music stands, several instruments, and sheet music.

She turned around, then looked at the windows as the light began to grow brighter; obviously due to her. She backed again to make sure the door was shut, indeed it was. She opened her mouth, singing a strange hymn, definitely not English. A hymn that she heard in her dreams that she ended up mastering through time.

"Tue Rei Zwe Kuloa Riou Tue Zwe,

Kuloa Riou Zwe Tue Riou Rei Neu Riou Zwe,

Va Lei Zwe Tue Neu Tue Riou Tue Kuloa,

Riou Rei Kuloa Riou Zwe Lei Va Zwe Lei,

Va Neu Va Lei Va Neu Va Zwe Lei,

Kuloa Riou Kuloa Neu Tue Lei Kuloa Riou Zwe Lei Va,

Lei Va Nue Kuloa Tue Lei Lei."​

It was definitely soothing. Making people around her feel at ease, it even made the light stronger, warmer, and more radiant. She looked down, her eyes closed.

Kam shrugged. "I wouldn't really know. I was in and out of the school system too much to bother getting lunch half the time. And I would hardly eat it. I suppose it's like any other school, though judging from the high class of the school, it's probably somewhat better than out there." To her, there was only out there and in here. Out there was her past, that poor kid whose name she couldn't bother learning because it would hurt too much. The various foster homes she had been in because her mother was too busy to care and her father wasn't even alive as far as she was concerned. That day that she had decided she'd had enough and attempted-and failed-to commit suicide.

In here was her present and her future. The past two years had been bad, but first day of third year and she already had two potentially good friends, and she could tell that her guidance counselor was definitely attempting to find her a future after school. Someday she might have a job and a family...maybe. Spending the rest of her life with someone would be challenging. Breaking out of her lapse, she smiled before saying, "They had fries last year, I think..."

Zarek's brows knit in concern for his friend; the dark look that passed over Kam's face concerned him and he laid a gentle hand on her shoulder- sweaty palms be damned- just as she seemed to snap out of it. He searched her face, his own worried as she flashed a smile. Zarek released the tension in his shoulders he hadn't realized was there, "Good," he murmured.

"Hey. Kam. I know we just met today and all, but," He paused awkwardly, but didn't break his line of sight with the girl. His eyes were the rich brown of fresh-tilled earth, warm and concerned. "But, I just want you to know that if you ever need to talk I'll listen." At last he broke his gaze, praying to whatever gods didn't have relatives here that he wouldn't do something even more embarrassing like blush. It was so terribly undignified for a boy to blush. "Just... if you want, that is. As friends," he finished lamely.

With a little jolt he realized that his hand still rested on her shoulder and he withdrew it as casually as he could. His heart was hammering, and he cleared his throat as he watched the Native American student demonstrate her powers. For the life of him he didn't know what was going on, but he felt a little frightened at the girl's display.

After calling out to the girl, Abe had immediately thought he made a mistake. He was sure that she would just ignore him and walk away, glad to be rid of him again. So, when she actually responded, looking him in the eye at that, Abe was ecstatic. He nodded happily as she said her farewell and started away. After a moment Abe left the field as well, grin wider than ever. Time to think huh? He thought to himself as he walked the halls, searching for his next class. That'll do. I can work with that. Maybe this friendship was salvageable after all. In any event his first day at this new school had been eventful so far.

It didn't take long for Abe to realize he was hopelessly lost. "I don't remember there being a bathroom here..." The large boy muttered to himself as he wandered, now hoping to simply run into someone who could point him in the right direction. In any event, this part of the school seemed abandoned during the morning classes. "Honestly, I didn't think that this school was even that big!" He continued muttering walking on without a definite destination. As he turned a corner, something odd caught his attention. The hallway he was facing was unremarkable in almost every way, filled with closed doors and without a soul to be found. However, one of the uniform doors was a bit different. Soft, golden light shone through the door's window, creating a slanting pillar of light illuminating the dust motes it fell across. It gave the hallway a sort of serene beauty that reminded Abe of something, though he wasn't quite sure what. As he walked toward the door, he began to hear soft, angelic singing. The majestic voice was quiet at first, but drew louder as Abe neared the door. Putting up a hand to shield his eyes from the light, the tall young man peered into the room through the door's window.

For the second time that day, he was struck dumb by the same girl. She stood alone in a room filled with musical equipment and bathed in remarkably warm, radiant light. The sun-rays glinted off the brass instruments in their stands, creating rays of pure gold which caught the dust in the room and made the whole area look almost like a heavenly forest filled with thin golden trees. In the middle of this beauty stood the girl Abe had spent half the day chasing, and she was singing. If her speaking voice could be described as beautiful, which it could, no words could properly describe her singing. Not once in his life had Abe even felt as soothed and comforted as he did at that moment, simply listening to this mysterious young woman. Completely unaware of his surroundings, or anything other than the voice caressing his very soul, Abe was rooted to his spot outside of the music room.

She nodded as he spoke to her, comforted by his gesture of placing a hand upon her shoulder. Though she wasn't sure if she could tell him about why she would occasionally lapse into her mind without warning, she appreciated the fact that she had the ability to speak should she want to. "T-thanks," she said as he finished, not noticing his hand remaining upon her shoulder. She was close to crying she noticed, the unfamiliar stinging behind her eyes telling her. She hadn't cried in so long, it felt strange to be this close to.

Without warning, she turned around, but not before saying, "I've got to go. Sorry..." and began briskly walking in the direction towards the school, leaving a trail of frost where her feet landed. Her emotions were tied too closely to her powers, it was what made her weak, at least in her eyes. She'd let her guard down, and now here she was, about to cry in front of a boy she didn't even know. However, before she knew it, tears were falling from her eyes, almost freezing as they did.

Way to go, Mr. Sensitive. How do you even make people cry by just being nice? Ugh, she hates you and you've ruined everything forever.

Zarek's mind raced and he shifted uneasily from one foot to the other as Kam stalked away across the field, the grass covered in an icy rime of frost in her wake. He knew that the best thing to do was to give her space. It was obvious that she wanted some time to herself, and didn't need pressed on what seemed to be a very sensitive subject. The smartest thing to do would be to give her time to calm down and talk to her over lunch. It was just one period away, after all. Zarek stopped his fidgeting, returning his eyes to the student demonstrations.

For about fifteen seconds. Turning on his heel, pushing through the students standing behind him with quickly muttered apologies, Zarek took off after his friend. Damage control. Have to do damage control, he told himself over and over as he ran. She had gotten a fair lead on him, even in that short amount of time. However, the thawing grass left an easy trail to follow. Coming up behind her and taking gentle hold of her wrist to stop her progress, a number of things surprised the boy. His panting breath steamed the air when he was near Kam, his fingers felt nearly frostbitten when they contacted her skin, and ice sparkled in the summer sun upon her cheeks. He didn't let go.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what I said, but I'm so sorry, Kam. I don't want you to hate me, not when we're just becoming friends." Brows knit and eyes pleading, he looked into her face and hoped she wouldn't slap him for the violation on her personal space.

Feeling a hand on her wrist, Kam turned around, ready to hit whoever it was that had dared touch her. She would have too, if she hadn't seen through her tears that it was Zarek. As he apologized to her, it was all she had in her to shake her head. "It's not your fault. It's nobody's fault, except mine," was all she could say, before attempting to brush the tears away and being startled at the chill of her own skin. And with that she turned around, afraid she might lose the little control over her powers she had at this moment and accidentally hurt him. She wouldn't be able to live with it if she did. Forcing open the side door of the school, she continued walking, the spot on her arm where he had grabbed her still warmer than the rest of her.

She hid in the courtyard, which was empty most of the time. Sitting down on one of the wooden benches, she held her head in her hands, attempting to pull herself back together before she caused a white-out blizzard in the summer.

The light began to fade, causing the room to darken a bit. Belle simply turned and spoke,"I know you're there.". She was more or less agitated, but this feeling that she had for this man was quite weird. He was not like the rest, he was different. As though he had something more important than everyone else. As if they were destined to meet. Belle never liked thinking that way, but accepting his friendship wouldn't be that hard. As long as she didn't get too close to him.

Belle began to walk through the space between the chairs, speaking as she strutted towards him,
"Is there something you need?". She stopped before getting too close to him, just in case. Yet, he seemed more trustworthy than all the rest of the students. He was new, and she was always curious about the new students. New things to think about, new things to discover, new journeys to unfold.

The girl stopped singing and the light faded, bringing the world away from the heavenly serenity Abe had witnessed and snapping him back to reality. As Belle addressed him realization of just what he'd been doing dawned on the large youth. He opened the door with an embarrassed smile, scratching the back of his head with his left hand. "Sorry..." He apologized to the long-haired beauty. "I didn't mean to follow you or anything, I'm still new to the school and got lost.I walked around for a bit and found myself outside that door." He attempted to explain himself, pointing over his shoulder at the door with a thumb.

"Seems like I've been doing a lot of apologizing today... Anyway, wow." He attempted to change the subject. "I had no idea anybody could sing like that! That was... I don't even know what word to use. Just wow." The tall boy was quiet for a moment, trying to recall the sound of her singing. Realizing he was spacing out again, Abe went for another subject change before he made the conversation any more awkward. "So what are you doing in here all alone anyway?" He decided the best course of action was to get her to take charge of the conversation, lest he bring up anything else to humiliate himself farther.

He couldn't think of a time when he had felt more useless. Heaving an irritated sigh, Zarek leaned against the wall of the building, tilting his head back as if asking for guidance from above. He reasoned that now would not be the time to go after Kam, she made it clear that she wanted time alone; however guilt still gnawed at him and his mind raced to think of just what he might be able to do.

Kneeling as he had in the field in order to perform his demonstration, Zarek once more dug his fingertips into the soft earth. He had never tried to do something far away from himself. The power that he held was more easily called directly from his fingertips, and it took every ounce of his concentration to cast his awareness out. The subterranean network of fine roots helps him to find his way to the spot of cold within the courtyard. Focusing, the sweat beading on his brow with the effort, Zarek summoned the force of life that flowed around him.

Within the courtyard, from the sparkling frost by Kam's feet, tender shoots began to emerge, unfurling tiny delicate white blooms. Snowdrops. A silent message that life carried on beneath the cold, and that she had a friend when she had need of him.

Collapsing back against the wall, Zarek sat on the grass and gasped for breath. He felt dizzy, but hopeful. Closing his eyes, he resolved to rest until he heard the bell.

Kam was just about getting herself back together when she looked down at her feet, catching sight of the small flowers. She gave a watery smile to herself upon the sight, reaching down and lightly brushing her pale fingers against the petals. She understood the message, having figured out that Zarek must have created them, and it gave her a sort of hope. Gradually, as it had been out in the field, but much slower, the temperature began to stabilize once more, the frozen tears upon her cheeks beginning to melt, as did the frost around her. However, her tears did not cease to fall, not until several minutes after the bell rang, and she was able to stop.

Standing up, she made her way to the nearest bathroom, washing the redness from her eyes by splashing water onto it. It would do her no good if word got about that Kam had been crying. When she looked presentable once more, she left, heading to her next classroom.

The sound of the bell came much too soon, and Zarek used the wall for support in getting back to his feet. He still felt a little dizzy, and hungry, but glancing at his dog-eared and wrinkled schedule reminded the boy that lunch was still period away and without a guide he had better move quickly to get to class. Luckily, it seemed that the room was close to the one where he had started the day. With a little groan of exhaustion, he hefted his bag and set out back into the building.

Moving through the halls in a daze, he finally came upon what he thought might be the right room. However, as he sank into a seat and lay his head upon the desk, Zarek couldn't find it in him to really mind.

Kam was late to her next class, and, not paying attention to who was there or where she sat, only knowing that it was in the back, something uncharacteristic of her, and not noticing the temperature dropping slightly upon her entrance. Almost as soon as she sunk into the chair, she placed her head in her hands, trying to block out the world around her. She only wanted to go back to her dorm, but knew that it wouldn't look good if she skipped school her first day. Lunch is next hour, she told herself, just suffer through this and then you can apologize to everyone...

Her stomach growled in protest, demanding that she eat now, but she ignored it, instead looking up at the teacher and trying to focus upon what he was saying.