SPPA Chronicles (Sarre & Nix)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Ah yes, of course." Adrian rose from the chair gracefully, moving toward the desk and gathering a few papers. "These are rather simple, and should hardly take you anytime at all Officer." He even collected a clipboard so that Eleanor could fill them out easily.

There was something in the vampire's tone that made both Xyne and Marcus think that Adrian didn't like Eleanor. Marcus, didn't really mind the girl, granted, he did think that like all the others she would simply move on soon. Xyne through, just rolled his eyes, Adrian would either come around or he wouldn't.

"Xyne, while Miss Baker fills out her papers, I would speak with you about that case of yours. The one involving my product." Marcus sipped at his drink, looking speculative.

"You'd have to ask Baker about that, Marcus. I was sent on an assignment."

"Very well, Miss Baker. Were you able to determine exactly how the perpetrator acquired my formula?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Eleanor took the papers. He was right. Mostly, he wanted her address, occupation, phone number, and all the standard stuff. There were no surprises. Well- until Marcus spoke.

"I haven't the slightest idea," Eleanor admitted. "I went through every piece of paper in her home and every file in her computer and phone. No leads anywhere. The interrogation department has had her since yesterday, and I'm waiting for them to find something. Technically, the case is should still be open, but everyone is treating it as closed. As if the interrogation room is an ending, or something. I haven't really been asked to look over anything since."

"Is that so?" Marcus honestly didn't look too pleased, but who would knowing that their products were out there somewhere. "I do hope that when you uncover this information, that you will let me know?"

"Oh Marcus darling. Eleanor will, I know it. Unless, she can't...." Lil, glanced over with a smile. "Still since it directly concerns your company, I'm sure it will be alright. Right, Eleanor?"

"Well, there are certainly confidentiality rules in place that I have to follow," Eleanor said. But then she smiled and continued, "However, they've always emphasized the importance of listening to superiors, even if they bend the rules, so, if, hypothetically," she said, "a captain asked me to be open about a certain case, I'd have to listen to that order." She wondered whether she was getting too comfortable with having a Captain for a partner.

... Nah.

That drew a smile from almost everyone in the room. "Excellent point, Baker." Xyne personally enjoyed the use of a loophole the most. "I always think that it is very important to keep your informants happy. I think it would be excellent if you started building contacts of your own... so yes, tell Marcus when you find out."

The little vampire smirked, a hint of his fangs showing. "My thanks to you both."

Adrian piped in then. "I have always wondered how one makes or even knows if a contact is reliable. Not questioning your judgement, Xyne. I am simply curious."

"That's because you don't like anyone, Adrian." Xyne retorted instantly, with absolutely none of the respect Eleanor showed. "You listen, and watch. Eventually you figure out who to trust, or at least how far to trust them." He offered a one shoulder shrug. "Baker is doing fine. Besides.." A sly look crossed his face. "Lil likes her."

"Oh I do! She's just wonderful!"

For a moment Eleanor felt like a puppy, sitting the middle of a family, awaiting judgement. Adrian seemed to be like a grumpy cat person, Lil the squealing teenager, Captain Tristis the snickering brother, and Marcus the genius little kid. Of course, she didn't even dream of mentioning those images to any of them.

Instead, she just sat there, her eyes darting curiously between all of them. Plus, she was suddenly very glad she had kept her and Allister's after-case-coffee-date to herself.

Xyne was really only so polite, even with the people he actually liked. After only another moment, he dragged Eleanor out, ignoring Lil's protests. It was nice that Lil liked Eleanor, it honestly was, things were only bad if she didn't like you, but Xyne was starting to think that Lil liked Eleanor too much.

Explaining the ins and outs of patrol here was easy. He was 100% certain that the only reason he was here to do it was because Adrian wanted him to and the Commander was happy to let him have his way, in the effort to keep face. Politics always made him want to roll his eyes.

The entire route took about an hour, ending in the main hall. It was just shy of 4am, and Xyne was almost wishing he had taken a day of leave for his arm. "Alright, I think I am going to be mean and pull rank and make you call headquarters to see if there is anything else we need to do..."

The call was pleasantly straightforward. Eleanor hadn't exactly been looking forward to making a call directly to a commander, but who was she to refuse?

"We're good," she told Captain Tristis, when she'd hung up. "They just told us to head home, and also that we have a day off tomorrow." She'd been pleased to hear that. There was suddenly much more to do in the city, now that her work allowed her to really discover it, instead of walk back and forth from home to the SPPA.

An honest smile crossed his face. "Good. I'm not going to lie... The idea of sleep and maybe some pool sounds wonderful." He might even have a couple of shots. Granted he wasn't going to tell anyone that he was in a fair amount of pain. Making a mental note to look into that kid later.

"Well, enjoy your day off, Baker." Xyne offered a small smile, in a very good mood with the day off looming ahead. "Go on home, I'll pop in upstairs and tell Adrian everything was fine, and head home myself."

"Pool? Really?" Eleanor asked, glancing at his arm. "You must be really good, if you're planning to do it with that arm and all. I'll come with you back up." Eleanor smiled, "Wouldn't want them to think I'm avoiding them, especially Lil. Wouldn't want all of our conversations to end with you saying we have to go."

Xyne shrugged. "I'm not that good, but it's not hard to be better than the idiots that play at the bar, even with just one arm. Cass is really the only one I play with that has any skill." The redhead regularly smoked anyone that tried to play with her.

Leading the way back up, Xyne just slipped in the open door. "Hey, all clear. Have fun you three and no evil plots for at least a day alright?"

All three grinned, but Marcus answered. "Of course, Xyne. I personally have nothing planned but work for several days."

"Oh! Eleanor, darling? Do come and visit me soon. I found something fabulous that will look wonderful on you." Lil added a smile at the end.

Eleanor left work feeling satisfied at her escape. She was sorely needing more coffee by this point, or sleep, she supposed. There was a case of coffee beans in her pocket, and she had snuck two after the attack by the shifters, but that had worn off.

Mentally, she formed a plan. She'd sleep till the afternoon, drop off Asmara's coffee, meet up with Allister, and see how much time was left. There would probably be enough for Lil.

The day was dreary, rainy, and cold. Perfect for sleeping and Xyne took complete advantage of it. He literally slept a good twelve hours. After spending some time in his kitchen, and actually eating something that had taste, stuck to his plan to sit in the bar, preferring to watch some games instead of playing. The two that had showed up to play being completely drunk after a short amount of time, and also very careless with their pool cues. Which was not very kind to his broken arm.

Lil, for some reason was flitting all over, adjusting nearly everything at least once and chattering the entire time, sadly, this was completely normal.

The day was dreary, rainy, and cold. God-fucking-damn it. It was perfect for sleeping, so she'd been quite deep in dreamless slumber before her alarm clock rudely jolted her out of it - and she'd forgotten to change the time, so it rang at eight instead of twelve. When she swung out of bed to shut the screaming metal up, the cold of the smooth floor jolted her again.

She nursed herself out of her sour mood with hot coffee and crispy toast and smoked thin-sliced salmon, then headed out in a comfortable red hooded coat instead of the black SPPA uniform. In a reusable cloth sack, she carried a bag of coffee, freshly ground that morning, along with a few other simple essentials.

Asmara wasn't there - not that Eleanor expected her to be. The morning buzz of wakefulness had run out, and the realities on running on three hours of sleep were beginning to hit her. She left the coffee in the mailbox with a note, swallowed more coffee beans, grabbed some groceries, then went back home. Another five hours.... another five hours and she'd go to Lil's. Maybe even invite Allister, if he could pull of a few simple lies.

The best thing about not having to work, in Xyne's opinion anyway, was that there was no one to answer to. No phone calls calling him in early, which lead to interrupted sleep, which always made him testy. The fact he had even gotten to cook something just made it perfect.

By the time the bar was starting to pick up, He had won two bets on pool games, had some of the very good tea that Lil kept hidden away, and even got to have a front row seat when Lil threw out, Karl, who came every night to hit on the bartender, Amanda. Usually, Amanda was the one to take care of him, but since she was busy, Lil did it for her. With all the grace and elegance she possessed, she casually picked him up and threw him out the door. Not great for the door, or Karl, but Xyne personally found it hilarious.

It was even shaping up to be an excellent evening, too. Enough people to make the place feel social, but not so many that it was crowded. Since he had no intention of giving up his seat, a stool near the corner of the bar, with a good view of the whole place, complete with his cooling tea and an awaiting shot of Greed, Xyne settled in for a pleasant night.

Eleanor ended up strolling into the bar without Allister. He had paled significantly when she had asked him if he could lie. "L-Lie? I- no, I don't lie- I can't, can't lie," he had stuttered. It had been an amusing moment, definitely. He had walked her to the edges of the werewolves' territories, muttered an awkward goodbye, and then they had parted ways.

She was only a few meters from the entrance of Lil's bar when the doors flew open and a man was hurled out onto the sidewalk, landing inelegantly on the sidewalk with his face in the fallen leaves.

Her eyes sought the door for the brute that had thrown him so forcefully out. "Oh... Lil," she said. "Hi."

Lil, who had been casually brushing imaginary dust off one of her sleeves, immediately offered Eleanor a wide smile. "Eleanor! Oh, it is so nice to see you, dear." A disdainful glance at the groaning man. "Oh, come now, Karl, I did not throw you that hard. Get out of Eleanor's way, go on, shoo, and leave Amanda alone!" She 'nudged' him with her foot, literally scooting him out of the way.

"Come in, darling, would you like a drink? Or perhaps something to eat?" Her smile was friendly. "Oh, you aren't here for work are you? That would be terrible."

"I am happily still-employed," Eleanor replied, tearing her eyes away from Lil's effortless show of strength. "And I just ate, but show me your drinks. Why would someone looking for work be terrible?"

She had to remind herself of the normalcy of vampiric strength - it was just another one of the things that made humans as a species redundant. It was amazing that relative equality actually existed in the world, given the situation. Here she was, in the presence of someone she knew could probably kill her with a few well-aimed punches, and she felt more like cheerfully chatting than dashing down the street in terror.

"Oh, no no, darling. I mean more were you here to collect Imey-er for work. Not that you are looking to work here, but I would of course, find a place for you if that was needed." Lil smiled sweetly, leading Eleanor toward the bar. "Amanda, do get Eleanor something." She spin then, making a pleased sound. "I am so looking forward to whisking you upstairs later and seeing how you look in the dress I found."

The bartender, a very short, but pretty human, with purple hair, silently slid a menu over. "I like Violence, myself. It's tasty."

"Oh hell no! It's a day off and I'd prefer to get a little drunk and play," Eleanor laughed, "And I'm glad to be out of that coat. It has such an uncomfortable texture." She glanced at the menu, recognised nothing, and almost ordered Violence just for the hell of it - but she stopped herself. Impulsive as a child, but impulsive no more!

"How strong is that?" she asked Amanda. "Treat me like someone that's never had alcohol before. It's been at least a year."

Status
Not open for further replies.