SPPA Chronicles (Sarre & Nix)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Xyne shrugged, Checking the corner carefully before crossing to the street the bar was on. "Kind of? He is paranoid but he's also the de-facto leader of the vampires. He has a lot of enemies." Not to mention, he was kind of a snob when you first meet him, but Xyne wasn't going to tell her that. She was polite enough that it wouldn't matter at all.

"I will have you know all of us created those drinks. Heresy is my favorite." That had actually been a pretty good time. He was laid up with a broken leg, and all the alcohol was wonderful for the pain and the boredom of sitting around doing nothing for over a month. "A friend? Well it doesn't matter to me, it was just an offer." He wasn't going to MAKE her visit, but she did seem to genuinely like Lil so...

"Oh my god, you're taking me to meet someone who is essentially a king here?" she said, turning to look at him with disbelief. "And I thought I was only going to get those two surprise vampires today." She brushed off her sleeves, suddenly more aware of the little pebbles that had stuck to her coat when she had fallen. "You're talking about drinks now, but I can't help but feel as if I should be memorisng a document on vampire customs and courtesies, or something like that."

Last edited by a moderator:
Xyne just blinked. "What? I always patrol Adrian's. It's kind of a favor to him, since he likes me. Look..." He stopped, trying to seem as kind as possible. He didn't actually think of Adrian as the King of anything. He was a friend, so to him it was no big deal, but to Eleanor it obviously was. "Just be polite, you're good at that. Don't call him sir, and I will mention that Lil likes you. Everything will be fine, stop worrying."

"And for the record. I had no plans for you to meet Lil, remember the office sent you there, not me." He was guilty of a lot of things but that one was all on the office.

"If you insist, Captain," she said, taking a breath to calm herself. It would have been easier if he hadn't mentioned the vampire's status at all. Instead of saying so, she tossed him a lighthearted joke. "Does Lil's name carry weight too? Is she the de-facto queen? Do you harbour secret vampiric powers?"

"Do you really want me to answer that?" There was a small hint of teasing in his tone. "To be fair, Marcus is technically Adrian's second. But yes, Lil's name is pretty well known, not that she cares for any of that." He absolutely hated this stupid sling. "Besides, what would I do with Vampire powers?"

It wasn't something he had ever thought about really. Once he had figured out exactly what his talents were, and there was a story all by it's self, he never gave it a thought. "What would you do with super vampiric powers, hmm?"

"Marcus?" Eleanor said. It was another name that was spoken like she should know it, and indeed, it did feel familiar. In fact, by searching her memory more thoroughly, she thought she had heard Adrian's name before too. Perhaps that was the benefit of obsessive note-taking: a photographic memory engineered to avoid these murky situations.

"Oh wait, I remember," she said suddenly, "It was his company that sent over that vial and that page of chemical diagrams. That Marcus!"

Having regained a foothold, she went on playfully, "It all makes sense now. Marcus brews his chemical power-generating concoctions, Lil distributes them underhandedly at her bar, and Adrian is the mastermind behind the entire plot! That is where your secret powers are from and what they are for! You are all conspiring a world domination with chemically generated abilities! If I ever get tired of the SPPA perhaps I'll be a novelist."

Xyne blinked, twice, then started chuckling. "That's a pretty good tale. You forgot the part where all of us are secretly rulers of other countries and all richer than sin." It was a pretty good story, if she ever did quit and write a book it would probably sell pretty well.

"I would like to know what my supposed secret powers are? I mean, yours seems to be a whole lot more useful than mine." He was honestly enjoying himself. It was nice to have lighthearted talk for a change on a patrol. Things had been pretty tense lately. "I think you should tell Lil that story, she's enjoy it."Shoot, she might even try to implement it.

"Your secret powers would have to be something dramatic," Eleanor said. "Perhaps vampires should be able to transform too! Oh, I know, a werewolf vampire hybrid! It would look be a white, lanky, hairless dog thing with bat wings. That's what your secret power would be: you'd turn into that! And of course you'd have to melt when touched by coffee." She paused, pretending to dramatically ponder his suggestions. "Richer than sin and secret rulers... Nah" she said, "That might make it cheesy. Duh."

"Huh, does Lil appreciate sarcasm too?" she laughed. "I'd rather ask about the drinks. I haven't flown on a good buzz in a while."

Just the very idea was almost horrifying. Granted, the bat wings... that almost sounded kind of cool. When he was little, and had first learned that Lil was a vampire, he had actually asked why she didn't have wings. Shoot, wings made everything better. The rest of it sounded like someone put all the races in a blender and hit high.

"Lil was more worried about the colors than what was actually in them. Remember she cannot cook, at all. period. That covers baking and drink making too. I honestly don't think I have ever been that drunk." The rueful comment was said with a smile, showing quite plainly he had enjoyed the experience.

"I guess I'll see for myself later," Eleanor said. The more Captain Tristis talked about Lil's looking, the more curious she became about it.

In any case, they were coming up towards a different area now, the bustle of the market slowly fading into the distance. The street lamps in the area glowed white here, instead of yellow, illuminating the roads with an icy blue, like a picture-book moonlit night.

She knew this street, but not at night. There were no stalls here, just various stores, and she could tell that everyone walking on the cool pavement was vampire just by their presence. In the day, this street was silent and shady, and the shops that were open were scattered, empty, and short-staffed. Now, it was like any other busy street in the Eastern Sector.

Oddly enough, Xyne rarely had any problems in this area. Despite it being one of the more popular areas in the Northern District, well after dark anyway, the shops here were all dedicated to the... odder things that vampires especially enjoyed so much. They tended to be slightly better behaved when buying pretty shiny toys that they could lord over their friends.

The bar,was near the end of the street, half a dozen 'specialty' shops lining both sides, while vampires littered the area. Somehow, despite how common it was, Xyne couldn't help but smother a smile at the women in opulent gowns and men in perfect three piece suits, browsing street stands like commoners.

Eve though there was rarely a problem in this area, Xyne still kept quiet, watching the shoppers and stands carefully for any trouble.

They took a few detours down narrower, less travelled roads. Despite the place being close to where she had walked before, Eleanor had never laid eyes on it until now.

"You know when I thought he was a king? Yeah, I'm feeling that again," Eleanor murmured, when they neared the place.

There was a heavy wall surrounding the place, which could only be described as an estate, tucked into the city, with gothic gates and illuminated by modern silver lights. Over the crenelations, she could make out only towering black shape melting into the sky, its edged serrated by sculptures. She didn't know how she had missed the place. It was like a castle overlooking peasants.

Chuckling, Xyne just replied. "You think this is bad, you should see Lady Christine's place. It's about an hour out of town, and is about as big as the Market." Xyne absolutely could not stand her at all. She was snobby, and an open sadist. While not as rich as some, she flaunted everything she owned. Fortunately for Xyne, Lil hated her too.

Near the left side of the gate was a small handprint scanner, smooth as glass and glinting slightly from the overhead light. Flipping off one glove, Xyne pressed his hand there briefly, waiting just long enough to hear the soft beep before pulling his hand back and shaking his head a bit. The gate swung open smoothly. "This is why you'll have paperwork. On the plus side, while you fill that out I can check the house and we can be done." He absolutely without a doubt hated touching things without his gloves.

The garden was light only with old fashioned sconces, adding a low glow to parts of the path. Small flowers bloomed here and there and a canopy of trees stretched overhead. "There is another scanner at the door, there." He opened that one as quickly as he had the last one, before pulling the door open and letting Eleanor go ahead of him.

The crystal chandelier that hung above the entryway illuminated the entire place. High ceilings, with marble columns. Expensive but tasteful paintings, some of people, some of landscapes, lined the walls. A large central staircase split into two part way up, one curving to the left, toward a long hallway, the other leaning right, along a small landing toward an open door.

The man standing at the top of the right staircase looked every inch a rich aristocrat. Black hair pulled back into a smooth but short tail, red eyes studied both. Despite the suit he wore, he handed the small goblet filled with red liquid almost casually. "Ah, Xyne. It is always a pleasure to see you. Who might we have here?" While the words cooled considerably, when he mentioned Eleanor, his face didn't change at all.

"Hello, Adrian. This is my newest partner Eleanor Baker."

"Pleased to meet your acquaintance," Eleanor said, looking up at the lordly figure atop the stairs. Oh god that was the most generic thing she could have possibly said. "What a lovely place you got here." Eleanor what did you just do you made it worse. "It's very... grand." Eleanor stop talking oh my god ok it's probably fine at least you haven't accidentally called him 'sir' and you're smiling right you should be smiling that professional smile Mr. Finn taught you but don't overdo it it's totally possible to overdo it which would just make you look like a constipated walrus Eleanor BREATHE oh look is that Lil fluttering down the stairs.

"Oh, Lil, it's great to see you again so soon," Eleanor said, her nerves levelling themselves at the sight of a more playful acquaintance.

Xyne stared. Meet your acquaintance? He really needed to work harder to convince her that Adrian was not actually a king. Especially with that smirk.. the last thing anyone needed was Adrian feeling smug.

Lil, who didn't wait for anyone, practically floated down the stairs, smiling at Eleanor and hugging Xyne literally at the same time, before immediately twisting and hugging Eleanor. "Imey-er! Eleanor darling! How wonderful to see you both! Come come, dear, you simply must meet Marcus! Don't you agree, Adrian?"

The vampire in question smiled, looking for a brief minute like any other man in love. "As you like Lilias. Xyne, whatever happened to your arm?"

Deftly sidestepping Lil as she tried to latch onto him, Xyne waved his good arm. "Causing problems as usual." Amused now, he was happy to let Lil, literally drag Eleanor upstairs to meet Marcus, and followed behind. People's first reaction to him was always worth it.

Lil swept into the overly comfortable study, with Eleanor in tow, and stopped before a small child, sitting on one of the sofas, a glass in hand. "Marcus, darling, meet Eleanor! Isn't she pretty?"

Underneath blond curls, were old red eyes. A slightly chubby face peered up through the curls. "Ah, a pleasure to meet you." He extended his hand.

Eleanor was more than happy to allow herself to be dragged about. It gave her an excuse to stumble, and not to talk. She was whisked into a lavishly decorated room, all filled with puffy cushions with velvety surfaces.

The flight was brought to a stop in front of a little child with a mop of neat blonde curls. "Oh, hello there," she said cheerfully, taking his tiny hand. "Aren't you po-" she stopped herself when the more intelligent side of her mind sent a powerful jolt of realisation through her body. "I'm so sorry," she said, "You're a vampire aren't you."

A deep chuckle came from the door, as Adrian swept in, and settled into a chair. Xyne doing a better job of keeping a straight face, wandered in behind. Lil though, actually cooed.

"You see! I just knew you were the most adorable thing ever!" She dropped onto the sofa, and literally cuddled with Marcus for a minute, which made the little vampire smirk and Adrian frown.

".. Yes, I am." While he wasn't pleased at being mistaken for a child again, Lil's reaction was certainly worth it, at least until she abandoned him to fuss over Xyne. "How are you liking the agency then... Miss...?"

Adrian leaned back in the chair and simply watched.

"Baker," Eleanor replied, shrinking into the nearest seat. "But don't ask me to bake. It won't be pretty. The agency is fine so far. It's interesting to meet all the different people."

There wasn't much else to tell; anything else, either Yela's case, or the attack earlier that day, had the potential to look like gloating. "Oh, but it was my first time at the bi-level Market at night today. That was lovely."

While it was almost cozy, all of them sitting around, Xyne and Eleanor did have work to do. "Adrian, I'm going to start my patrol." He looked used to the fact that Lil was practically hugging him while standing there. "Also, I hate your scanners."

Another smile crossed the vampire's face. "But keycards are stolen so easily, fingerprints are much harder to replicate."

"But not impossible..." Macrus piped in, starting up a long winded explanation about artificial rubber and how they could be used to make copies of fingerprints with ease.

Lil, who had been deposited next to Eleanor, by Xyne, leaned over. "Don't worry about the boys, darling. We'll just sit here and chat, right?" She looked so hopeful.

Eleanor laughed softly, "I wish I could - I really do, but Captain Tristis still needs to teach me his route, and I do believe he mentioned..." she glanced at Adrian, "paperwork?" It wasn't as if she particularly liked paperwork, but it was still a comfort. It was something she knew, like math worksheets in high school and sample cases in training.

Lil was interesting, but the atmosphere here wasn't like in the bar, where laughter and cheer already littered in the air. Here, they were all standing on glass, and it was like Lil was daring her to dance on it with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.