Sometimes Goodbye is a second chance

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taryn and Nate were walking the trail at the nearby park. She had parked her SUV at home and walked the trail she usually ran. She shoved her hand in her pockets as she walked, that way she wouldn't give Nate the idea to reach for her as they had so many times done when they were together.

Her phone buzzed and she silenced it from her pocket, not picking up whoever it was that was calling.

"All right Nate... talk."

"Look... I didn't think everything would go down the way it did and I sure as hell didn't expect you to walk in on us.."

Taryn went to interrupt but he held up his hands. "Please... just let me talk." When Taryn nodded he contnued. "I had agreed that when you got back I was going to tell you, I wasn't going to keep doing things behind your back... it killed me seeing you hurt Taryn.. it still hurts knowing I'm the reason you hurt so bad. We really didn't mean it... but I also didn't anticipate how much I'd miss you... She's not you."

"No shit sherlock." Taryn grumbled.

"She doesn't understand my PTSD like you did... she just isn't you. It was new and exciting and secret so of course it was a thrill while it lasted but I don't want that anymore. I want what we had back... it's true what they say, you don't know what you have till it's gone." Nate said staring at Taryn.

She continued to walk ahead even though Nate stopped until she was about five feet away. She turned to stare at him, such anger and hurt in her eyes.

"Nate what did you expect? How did this play in your mind that it would work out? Nate you can't just cheat on me and expect me to take you back. You crushed me... I have someone in my life that wants to love me and I keep pushing away because I don't want anyone to get close to me again and hurt me like you did... and I can promise you...I will never get married again. I will never believe any man that he'll love me for the rest of our live. It's all bull shit." Taryn said tears forming in her eyes.

"Taryn..." Nate closed the space between them. He wiped at her tear, running his thumb along her cheek. Taryn pulled away until he pulled her into a tight embrace.

"I wish I hadn't hurt you."
"Me too Nate... me too." she hugged him back. He held her as she cried, the last tears she would for her marriage. It was good she had talked to Nate... closure felt better than what she had before. He walked her back to the houe later and she stood outside and waved as he drove away. She walked inside hoping the house was empty so she could curl up in bed.

Clark had started pacing the second Taryn ignored his call. He pulled out a journal of Charlie's, finding that over half of it made no sense. It was a language that either he didn't know or didn't exist. Didn't exist? He continued to pave, flipping through page after page. There were over twenty journals and each had well worn pages.

There were a few passages hat Clarj could just barely make out and each seemed to reference a different item.

His head snapped up as he heard the door. Relief flooded him as he saw Taryn. "I was worried..." He whined, setting the journal on the couch with the others

Taryn gave him a small smile and walked towards him. "Long day with the general and the doc... went to work for a bit, ran into Nate..." She shook her head. "anyway." She said looking over at the box of journals. "What's all this?" she asked sitting on the sofa and grabbing one. She flipped through it with curious gaze.

Clark wrapped her in a huge hug, kissing her face several times before relinquishing her. He watched her sit down, sighing. "Something Charlie was working on...I can't understand a lot."

He moved to sit behind her, playing with her hair. "I'm trying to solve this and feeling like I'm getting no where..."

Taryn shivered as he tickled her hair, she loved it when he did that. She cocked her head to the side looking at the pages of the journal. "Hmm... a code. This is all very Davinci Code. I could help if it was something military wise I could have someone take a look as well but this looks nothing like something one of us could crack. Who was this secret Charlie?" She asked the last question more to herelf than him.

Clark laughed, grabbing the journal. "Of course of course!!!" He swept all of the journals into the box. "I know how to decode this now...it was our language..."

He bent over, passionately kissing Taryn. "I never would have thought of a code..." He hugged her close. "I'll get to the bottom of this.."

Taryn rose her brow. "Boys are weird." she snickered, scrunching her nose up before nuzzling close, kissing his lips. "So... Nate showed up at the bar." she said figuring it was best to just get it out in the open. She didn't want any secrets from Clark... it was the only way they would ever make it if they got into a committed monogamous relationship. "We went for a walk...he apologized for everything."

Clark stiffened, "are you okay?" He pushed the hair out of her face and tipped her chin up. He inspected her, even checking her arms. "Did he hurt you?" His face fell with concern. "I'm sorry I should've been there."

Taryn shook her head. "He didn't hurt me... and it's probably best. He wanted to tell me he missed me and that he messed up and that he wishes he could back up time.... that ship has sailed.. completely sailed. I guess he was just hoping I'd still have feeings and start where we left off. I told him it wasn't going to happen and he understood. It was okay. No trying anything." She said with a bittersweet smile.

Clark could sense her sadness. It was a chapter closed and he knew what came of that. "Want some tea?" There was really nothing he could say to make it better and so he chose to offer his form of speech. "I'll spike it..."

Taryn turned to look at him and smiled. "You're a man to love." she chose to quote one of her favorite movies. When the protagonist knew he cared for the female lead he told her she was a woman to love. It wasn't like saying I love you... it meant that at some date eventually there would be love. She stood so that he could slide off the couch since he had been sitting behind her.

"So I find it all intriguing. Man goes into business with you.. man turns out to be some davinci. Sounds like national treasure the movie." She said intrigued by everything

Clark moved into the kitchen, fixing some tea and spiking it. "It's very weird. Although when I think about it, I really didn't know much about what he did or how he got so much money. I just assumed he was left a large inheritance..."

He moved back into the living room, handing her the cup of hot tea

Taryn took the cup of tea gratefully and sipped at it. It was like a hot apple pie, somewhat cinnamon with that hint of alcohol that made it hug your insides. Taryn listened to Clark as she sipped it slowly. Her toes wiggled on the couch, perfectly lacquered in pale pink. She stared at them as her mind tried to make sense of Charlie and the weird calls.

"What if he was like 007?" She asked after some silence.

Clark took her foot in his hands and began gently rubbing it. He burst out laughing at her question. "Yeah right. He had a better chance of being Indiana jones!" He wiped at his eyes as he realized he was crying from laughing so hard.

He rubbed her calves, sitting nearer and placing her legs on his lap. "I don't know Taryn...maybe he was some sort of government agent."

"Government agent... hmmm." Taryn's mind began to race. Maybe that's why General Falk and Nate had told her to keep safe and that she was needed. What kind of world had she been pushed into from acquaintance? Who knew what her review would say and where they would try to send her against her will. She frowned at once, despite feeling good from his massage.

"I guess we better face the music... if this is deeper than either of us knows... I cannot stop my general from deploying me on a mission. I won't expect anything Clark... you don't have to think you have to wait for me or anything like that..." she said staring at the liquid in her cup.

Clarks smile faded. "I was just teasing...." He stiffened. "Wait? Leave? No you aren't allowed. I don't think so." His eyes narrowed before he realized he was acting exactly as Nate probably would have. His shoulders slumped and he sighed. "I'll wait Taryn...I'll wait." He smiled, leaning in to kiss her lips and take her mug of tea.

Taryn frowned. "I will not be the reason you stay single Clark. Look... what we have here is strange and crazy and amazing all at once. I can barely wrap my mind around the fact that this could mean something huge ... that could last for both of us but I cannot just up and leave the military. That is what I'm going to ask at my review, I don't want you putting your life on hold... I'd never forgive myself Clark." She said without looking at him.

Clark grunted. "Taryn...I've been single for how long? I think I can survive a while longer if it means I get you." He leaned in, kissing her heatedly. "Enough worrying about the future Taryn..."

Taryn didn't want to argue any more. She let it go because she knew he wanted her to. She nodded and stood. "I'm gonna do some adominals and hit the shower. You... have fun with these journals." she said quietly standing up and heading upstairs. She did her workout right in the bathroom. Situps, pushups, and dozens of other core strengthening exercises before turning the shower on and stripping out of her sweaty clothes. She slid into the shower and sat beneath the hot spray, letting the water soak her to her core.

Clark watched her go, still amazed by her. He picked up a journal, glancing it over with a sigh. It was as if this adventure had been planned just for him. Wait....just for him?

Why would he think that? Perhaps because it was in their secret code? Or perhaps...he felt like there was a memory just at the edge of his mind. His phone rang and he answered it.

"They're watching, Clark. Careful."

The line went dead.

The usual call had not been masked with static. That had been Charlie's voice on the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.