Sometimes Goodbye is a second chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
A single trilling sound began to emanate from the teeny hole. Taryn moved closer to it but when a larger more metallic sound echoed loudly in the room she jumped, her hands instinctively came up to her ears. The floor rumbled and then a hatch opened with a loud hiss. Taryn was standing beside Clark, her eyes wide. This was something straight out of an X files episode.

"Well... that's a first." She whispered, retreiving her .22 hand gun from her ankle holster and flashlight from her pocket. With gun armed and flashlight lit, she made her way towards the hatch.

Clark was shocked. Just what had Charlie been?! He pulled Taryn into his body before she reached the hatch. "I really don't like this anymore...I feel like I never really knew him..."

He was trembling like a child, hands loose around her waist. "Can I have a minute?"

Taryn knew that Clark had no experience with wars or being in this type of dangerous situation so when she saw the worry in his eyes she nodded, holstering her gun and waiting for him to be okay.

"Whatever he was involved with was obviously some pretty important intel for it to be this well hidden and for him to have either been killed or faked his death for."

Her eyes fell to Clark's. She bit her lip. She wanted nothing more than to console him, to hug him, to kiss his lips but things were different now. She sighed and although it was quite rude she said what she says to all her soldiers. "Woman up soldier."

Clark sighed. He squeezed her tight once more before letting her go. "I'm not a soldier though, love. And I don't want to go back to that dark place..."

His eyes clouded over as he stepped towards the hatch. If he allowed himself to slip back into the person he was then there might not be a chance to come back

Taryn didn't know what he meant by that but proceeded down the hatch. They entered a fall out shelter. There was computers that were blinking in sleep mode. Papers that were tossed around. A single cot that had more than likely been Charlie's sleeping quarters. There were shelves of foods and other necessities and weapons... lots of weapons. Taryn holstered her gun and head towards the computers. There was no way this would be so easy to acquire whatever intel was in danger of falling into the bad hands. With how dire this mission had been she wondered if it had to do with national secrets or worse... missle launch codes. Who knew.

They wouldn't have planned for a twelve month deployment unless there was reason to think that there were layers to this clusterfuck. Taryn clicked enter and the screens lit up with life. A single green line blinked before it spelled out the word. WELCOME

Clark wandered around the room before moving to sit on the cot. All of this was too confusing. First the journals involving relics of history and myth that shouldn't even exist. Suddenly this? He longed to call work and check on the bar. He also wanted to wash the dirt smudges off his face.

His eyes flickered towards Taryn and another longing hit him...for his house, his bed, and her in it

Taryn scrunched her nose and squinted at the screen. She sat at the chair and typed back, hello.

It is nice to see you made it this far. What would you like to know

Why am I here and who are you? Taryn scratched at her head. This was all so confusing.

Ah who I am is not the right question. You are here because C's maze of truth is working.

Taryn looked at Clark. "Nothing makes any sense!" She sighed frustrated. She rubbed at her temples and let her head hang back. She missed normal war. You shot people you came home. Not this mental secret war... who knew what this was all really about.

History will be made kings and presidents will fall. Myth becomes truth. You are leaders into a world known only to C and I. Others have inklings... which is why there is no time to waste.
No. Time.

Clark watched the words in confusion. Myths...could he mean...?

Clark gently pushed her out of the way and began typing.

"Where can I find Excalibur "

He watched and waited for an answer almost dreading what was to come

Taryn didn't argue with Clark as he took over the computer. Excalibur.... like the actual item from legends of olde? Why was this national security? It was just legend... would the person weilding it actually have supreme power? Where would they take the damn thing then? She waited too for the answer from the computer.

There is much to learn and test before you are given such information silly Superman. C would dissaprove of such a question.

"Is C, Charlie?" Taryn asked Clark... though she had a feeling it was. Did that mean that Charlie was alive? Or that he was dead.... obviously Charlie had either created or befriended this.... whoever this was, computer or not

Clark growled in frustration. "Yes C is Charlie...."

He had read the journals that had spoken of Excalibur but now he felt as f he was missing something. He was too upset for any of this.

He sighed, shaking his head. "What is Charlie trying to show me?" He asked allowed before typing it

What cost him his freedom. Rest now. You will learn in due time. Signing out. ZZzZz

Taryn stared at the screen with shock and held a hand to her mouth as she began to laugh. Maybe it was the stress of the moment but she just shook her head and tossed herself back onto the cot. She rubbed at her neck and stared at her boots, the single dog tag hanging from her right top boot lace hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.