• Bath

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Shower

Votes: 32 65.3%
  • Fire hose

Votes: 7 14.3%

• Total voters
Shower.

Most bath tubs are too small for me.. And take too long.

And nothing kills it for me more than soaking in a warm stew of my daily dirt and grime.

I've always seen showering as a way to get clean, and baths as a way to relax. While showers can be comfy, I can't really unwind while standing up like when resting partially submerged under water. And I would never take a bath without having showered first, to me that seems kind of unsanitary.

If I had to choose, I would say baths. Showering is tedious, and I see it more as an obligation rather than something to indulge myself with, like a bath.

I hate water going over my head and frankly I feel awkward in baths so shower.

I definitely see a lot of merit in the consensus that baths are for relaxing while showers are for getting clean. I only ever take baths when I'm in a lot of pain and need to submerge myself in a hot bath full of epsom salt, but that only happens during the rare (once every year or two) occasions when I get sick.

For the most part, I absolutely have to take a bath. I have eczema, so despite how nice it feels to submerge in water, I have to avoid it if I want to control my skin issues. Because bathing/showering strips the natural oils from skin, and if I stay in/under water any longer than five or ten minutes, then my skin feels horribly dry and uncomfortable all day, even with copious amounts of lotion applied directly after.

Even if I didn't have skin problems, I imagine I'd still prefer showers to baths. I feel kind of gross after baths due to the fact that I'd been soaking in water that's been contaminated with the dirt and grime I'd collected throughout the day. It kind of grosses me out. I realize that I'm still clean in a logical sort of way. I just feel like it probably left some nasty residue from the soap and dirt, and even if I can't consciously feel it, my brain keeps telling me it's there. Not a fan.

I like bubble baths for the relaxing aspect of it. I turn on my bath music playlist, light some candles, turn off the lights, and pour a glass of wine. Heaven...

However, on a daily basis I shower. As previously said, I don't think it's too clean bathing in your own dirt :/

I definitely see a lot of merit in the consensus that baths are for relaxing while showers are for getting clean. I only ever take baths when I'm in a lot of pain and need to submerge myself in a hot bath full of epsom salt, but that only happens during the rare (once every year or two) occasions when I get sick.

For the most part, I absolutely have to take a bath. I have eczema, so despite how nice it feels to submerge in water, I have to avoid it if I want to control my skin issues. Because bathing/showering strips the natural oils from skin, and if I stay in/under water any longer than five or ten minutes, then my skin feels horribly dry and uncomfortable all day, even with copious amounts of lotion applied directly after.

Even if I didn't have skin problems, I imagine I'd still prefer showers to baths. I feel kind of gross after baths due to the fact that I'd been soaking in water that's been contaminated with the dirt and grime I'd collected throughout the day. It kind of grosses me out. I realize that I'm still clean in a logical sort of way. I just feel like it probably left some nasty residue from the soap and dirt, and even if I can't consciously feel it, my brain keeps telling me it's there. Not a fan.
That kinda sucks :( is it still bad if you use natural oils in the water?

Shower most definitely. I mean, who wants to sit in a tub of water and their own dirt?

stash-1-227550bd08abe666e.png

• Love
Reactions: 2 people
One of the things I am looking forward to when losing weight, taking baths again. Though, I will probably still not fit as I am just too damn tall.

Too tall for a lot of showers too. It is really fun to have to bend over to get your head under the shower head.

@Minibit, I'm not really sure... I've never tried essential oils in my baths. I've never really heard of using more than a few drops of oil in a bath, though, and I feel like I'd need a whole lot to dampen the water's stripping effects. That might be overpowering to smell, though, and that would likely get into my other problem area: migraines.

@Edwin Felspar, I'm only 5'5" and still too tall for most baths, so I don't know how you do it. As for showers, I recommend installing a shower head that you can pull off the wall. It makes things easier for those showers that are made for the average height of people in the Victorian era.

I'm 6'3", so I'd need a pretty good sized tub. But most showers are not too bad. The one I have at home is fine. It is the showers at hotels and other folk's homes that can be hit or miss.

To be honest though, I'd rather have a low shower than one with weak water pressure. Hot water pounding on your back feels good after working out or a long day at work.

I'm 6'3", so I'd need a pretty good sized tub. But most showers are not too bad. The one I have at home is fine. It is the showers at hotels and other folk's homes that can be hit or miss.

To be honest though, I'd rather have a low shower than one with weak water pressure. Hot water pounding on your back feels good after working out or a long day at work.

I'm 5'10" and I want one of those old fashioned tubs where you can sit upright and be in water up to your shoulders

Reactions: Edwin Felspar
Yes, but you can't take a relaxing nap in a shower without hurting yourself when you fall over. v.v
My girlfriend used to fall asleep in the shower all the time. She'd sit down in the tub under showerhead and fall asleep.

Personally I prefer baths. I have spastic CP and shit circulation so I find hot baths a good way to relax my muscles and get nice and warm. However I take showers more often than not because baths take forever to get ready and I usually don't have the time.

HAX. Sitting is not allowed! D:
It's not? I've always sat in the shower. Of course, I can't actually stand for more then ten minutes tops in general, so I wouldn't know what's allowed and what isn't when it comes to sitting and showers :P

It's not? I've always sat in the shower. Of course, I can't actually stand for more then ten minutes tops in general, so I wouldn't know what's allowed and what isn't when it comes to sitting and showers :P
Yeowch. Well now I feel like a douche.

Well played.

Yeowch. Well now I feel like a douche.

Well played.
Oops. Sorry. Didn't mean too make you feel like that. >.< I just never saw anything strange with sitting in shower if you wanted too, is what I was getting at. I didn't know most people thought it was weird. Oh well

Do people really take baths to clean themselves? From what I've gathered it seems like it's at least pretty common (all these people saying they don't like baths because it feels yucky to bathe in their daily grime), but where I'm from it's just not a thing at all. Am I experiencing the most peculiar culture shock of all time, or what?

Shower on a daily basis ..:)) and a bath( for relaxation) is ways nice .x

But nowadays, is more like a shower thing more common and quick/ effective way to wash yourself lol >:)

Do people really take baths to clean themselves? From what I've gathered it seems like it's at least pretty common (all these people saying they don't like baths because it feels yucky to bathe in their daily grime), but where I'm from it's just not a thing at all. Am I experiencing the most peculiar culture shock of all time, or what?
I know people who take baths for hygiene purposes, including my mother and one of my sisters. When I asked them about the sitting around in their grime thing, they said that the way they do it is to use a tub full of water for cleaning, then drain it, then fill it up with clean water again for laying there relaxing. Apparently they think that just draining the water takes every last bit of soap and dirt away, despite my explanations of how it just doesn't work that way.

I find it just as bewildering as you do, and I've lived with these people for all my life.