Short Problems

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to be one of the short kids, for most of my life I've been known as one of the shortest kids in my class. My height was constantly 4'9 up to when I started high school. It wasn't until like a two or so years ago I experienced a big growth spurt that brought me up several inches. Technically I'm still shorter than average, but I'm tall enough now that it doesn't really matter.

I think the biggest 'short' problem for me, if you could call it one, is getting used to my taller height. Even now I forget I can reach up to places I couldn't before. And having been known as short for so long, it's a bit awkward catching up with old friends where the first thing they do is look at me and go, "Holy crap, you have gotten tall!" Especially since a lot of the people who were taller than me back then are now considerably shorter than me or about the same height as me. It's just weird, mate, bloody weird it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short women seem to get a pass--or are at least partially forgiven for their low stature--due to society's preconceived idea of the ideal female form: petite, well-proportioned and being of fair, easy-on-the-eyes looks.

Short men, on the other hand, are typically looked down upon (pun intended) on account of society's preconceived notion of the ideal male form: a tall, strapping and physically-powerful alpha male that is dominant, assertive and projective.

Short men get stereotyped as being angry manlets that are afflicted with a sever 'Napoleon Complex' if they so much as dare stick up for themselves or conduct themselves in a commanding fashion. Studies show that short men are paid less for the same work that a taller man does, are far less successful in the dating arena and are less intelligent on average.

Being short sucks monumental amounts of dick.

I can't fault the human species entirely though; you're working with an animal, a primate, that has an innate predisposition for favoring the bigger monkey over the smaller monkey. You see this in other animals as well.

Biology is a bitch; genetics can go fuck itself.

Having to roll the pant legs up on every pair of pants I've ever owned.

Having to climb on the washing machine to get the clothes at the bottom.

[I'm 23 years old and 4'11]
My mom is too 4'11" too! At least I surpassed her at 5'1", but it looks like I won't be getting any taller now... And I'm not sure if I'm 5'0" or 5'1" or in between. Lol.

My problems?

My brother's taken to calling me a midget since he's now 5'6 at 13. Why do they always have to grow so fast?! ; _ ; Well he wants to be a basketball player.

But still. I used to be able to call him Kid or Brat without people sending incredulous looks my way. The older-than-I-look face doesn't help.

At least people like giving me hugs, even though they sometimes bend down or stoop to do it. And I could wear heels.

Nobody's mentioned having their legs dangle when sitting on the toilet yet... oh, wait... heh.

I'm five feet. Everybody is taller than me, and they like to rest their arms on me all the time LIKE YOU THINK I LIKE THAT??!11!1!

Reactions: Hana
WHO ARE YOU CALLING A TINY BUG THAT ESCAPES THE WRATH OF A SHOE BECAUSE HE'S SO SMALL THAT HE FITS IN THE GROOVES AND CAN'T GET SQUASHED?!

But yes. Short people problems.
Finding tops is a nightmare. A shirt will either fit my torso, fit my shoulders, or fit my arms - if I'm lucky, two at once.

4'11" or 149 cm. I'm in my last year of Secondary school, which means, I'm like the Senior. The younger students are all taller than me. I look like a 13 year old. My neighbours thought that I'm 12/13 years old. Life's pretty good. I feel like a loli for some reasons.

But, I hate it when my taller classmates randomly come behind me and put their chins on my head or shoulder, and hug me from behind while swaying me left to right, claiming I'm their "squishy, cuddly, cute teddy bear".

I have a coworker that likes to put things just higher than I can reach and because I've a bad leg that prevents me from being as active, I can't just climb up on something with haste to get it. I get a chair, place it, struggle to get up and he moves it on the fridge. Always.

Then there are the the benefits actually of not knocking my head on doorways.

Or that buying shoes is easy because well...I wear children's shoes. I'm 23 and wearing kid's shoes.

Having a 14-year-old girl look down on you.

Didn't feel very nice...

Constantly being mistaken for the younger brother, always being mistaken for a 13-14 year old... Never being able to reach anything... Being small enough for people to pick up without your cooperation... :|

so i consider myself short for a dude

so i compensate by learning to box and getting all muscly

oddly enough, this just makes me look shorter cuz i'm wider

damn you, vicious cycle!

sour about that

I wouldn't know any of your problems, but I have short family members so I empathize.

My eight year old cousin is already up to my nose ; _ ;

Your family constantly reminding you that your brothers are all going to grow up to be taller than you.
Being reminded that you used to be one of the tallest kids in your class.
People assuming that because you're short you're weak unless you've got the musclebound dwarf thing going on??

At 5'3'', I understand...though be thankful for your T-rex legs; you could, instead, be like me with lanky arms and legs and a short, squat little body, lol! One friend who's known me since we were teens has always felt the need to inform me that I "look like a lemur". Yeah, thanks, hon; thanks a -lot-. *makes monkey faces* :P

I'm slightly underweight (hormones gone wack), then being short at the same time makes people think I'm anorexic/bullimic. I'm not.

I have to jump, or have someone carry me when attending concerts. Can't see a thing.

Taller friends like to pinch my cheeks and pat my head all the time. The pinching hurts. ;w;

I have to catch up with more strides.

Manhandling. Staph that, seriously. T^T

I'm slightly underweight (hormones gone wack), then being short at the same time makes people think I'm anorexic/bullimic. I'm not.

I have to jump, or have someone carry me when attending concerts. Can't see a thing.

Taller friends like to pinch my cheeks and pat my head all the time. The pinching hurts. ;w;

I have to catch up with more strides.

Manhandling. Staph that, seriously. T^T
I'm not short, but I am skinny. I can relate to that.

Don't forget everyone asking you if you're on Meth. That's always a fun situation. :(

A short person will have no shortage of problems, nyuk nyuk.

Seriously though, I am sympathetic towards people of shorter than average height for I suffer the same angst and issues with being a lowly 5' 7" myself.

Let not your hearts be troubled my fellow short rounds, for the short people will inherit the Earth. IT IS WRITTEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.