Seeking - GM group for World Building Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
... beastier?

OH! you mean bestiary? lol, well, eventually sure, but for the moment it's a little bit early to start worrying about what monsters will be populating the world. First thinsg first will probably be desiging what teh world actually looks like, figuring out which areas to include on the island, etc. We kinda need to flesh out where teh beasts will live before we decidew what kinds will populate those areas right? lol

Do you want any map to go along with that, so we might have a stronger idea of what's going on? This is an island, right? I might have a map or two in store, and I can get someone to change around the names and naughty bits. Or do you want this to be completely original?

well, ideally speaking i'd like the map to be completely original. This is mostly because A: one way or another there needs to be a big fat mt olympus-like mountain right in the middle that doesn't look like a volcano (haven't yet come across a single already-made island map that has a mountain instead of a volcano) and B: because i can't imagine that any alread-made map would have the diverse kind of landscape that we're gonna need for this.

if you can find something that you think will fit our needs, then by all means show it to me, but i think that in thsi case this will be something that we need to make ourselves (ideally i would love to be able to download an rpg map maker from onlline and do it myself, but my computer is pretty much on its last legs. I can't risk downloading any new program until I get a new one. Plus i have no money to buy those programs to begin with).

well, ideally speaking i'd like the map to be completely original. This is mostly because A: one way or another there needs to be a big fat mt olympus-like mountain right in the middle that doesn't look like a volcano (haven't yet come across a single already-made island map that has a mountain instead of a volcano) and B: because i can't imagine that any alread-made map would have the diverse kind of landscape that we're gonna need for this.

if you can find something that you think will fit our needs, then by all means show it to me, but i think that in thsi case this will be something that we need to make ourselves (ideally i would love to be able to download an rpg map maker from onlline and do it myself, but my computer is pretty much on its last legs. I can't risk downloading any new program until I get a new one. Plus i have no money to buy those programs to begin with).

Right. Mine is too, so we may need to recruit someone with the right stuff. Also, just for clarification: Mordred Pendragon killed King Arthur Pendragon. What legendary weapon did he kill him with? I've heard some accounts of a spear with a shard of Excalibur for a tip, and a few of a sword called Clarent. I had an idea that would require a solid answer.

I'm honestly not that intimately familiar with the arthurian tales myself. at least not more than the average fantasy fan. ^^;

however, for the purpose of this rp, having arthur be killed by a shard of excalibur wouldn't make much sense, so i'm gonna go ahead and say that
Clarent would be more appropriate. Or maybe even Ascalon, that's another powerful fantasy sword usually refered to as a 'divine' blade (used by saint george to kill a dragon)

I'm honestly not that intimately familiar with the arthurian tales myself. at least not more than the average fantasy fan. ^^;

however, for the purpose of this rp, having arthur be killed by a shard of excalibur wouldn't make much sense, so i'm gonna go ahead and say that
Clarent would be more appropriate. Or maybe even Ascalon, that's another powerful fantasy sword usually refered to as a 'divine' blade (used by saint george to kill a dragon)

Okay. So you said something about spectres wielding the legendary weapons of the God Forge. And Arthur Pendragon would most likely have a fully developed spectre wielding Excalibur. And Mordred Pendragon would most likely have a spectre wielding Clarent because of the evil acts he had committed. My idea was that the two would be in a constant battle (perhaps on the mountain of the God Forge, where all the high-level monsters are), interrupted only when another creature came near. They would be some of the first guardians of the mountain. Now, when they wanted to kill you, they would not work together. The duel would suddenly become a three-way battle. Whoever the Smith helped would allow him passage up the mountain, and the other spectre would be killed (to be revived later. The battle would then continue). If the Smith does not choose a side, both will try to kill them, and continue the battle afterwards. It would serve as an unofficial test of spirit. "Which side will you choose? Mordred or Arthur? Evil or Good? What will you use the Forge for?" More of a revelation of a characters true nature and intentions. What do you think?

I like the general idea, but i already had Arthur's spectre sort of reserved as a 'ultimate final boss' type character for the roleplay.

Basicaly, the legendary blade excalibur is the most famous blade created by the forge, but it;s also the one whose copy that has yet to be found on the island, even by those few who have made it up to the god's forge, leading the people to believe that it really is just a myth.

In truth though, excalibur is a mythical weapon called a 'twice-forged' weapon, one that was first created in the god's forge, and then refined within it a second time. When it was first created it was the sword of divine right to rule, Caliburn, the legendary sword in the stone. When Caliburn was damaged in battle though (I've not yet decided which weapon will be the one to have damaged it), Arthur quested back to Avalon and climbed up to the god's forge himself.

see, there's a reason why smiths can take back a god forged itsem away from the island despite the whole 'no changing th island' rule. The god forge doesn't work with normal materials. The raw materials used to create the items that come out of it are the Smiths' own souls. They literally pour their heart and soul into their greatest creation, and since their soul has always been their all along, not a product of the island, Avalon has no claim to anything created from the forge.

oh, that's another thing, Avalon is actually the forge itself. Travelling to the peak of its mountain you'll find a portal there (after beating all the bosses) that transports you to the very heart of the island where you'll find yourself before the mythical lady of the lake, who explains to you that Avalon herself is the ultimate forge from which the weapons of the gods themselves were born.

Anyways, back to Arthur, the king fought his way to the heart of the island and, when meeting the lady, said he wished not to create a new weapon, but instead to use the forge (and his soul) to repair Caliburn. The result was that Caliburn ''the sword of right to rule" became Excalibur the twice forged "the sword of promised victory".

Of course, on his adventure, arthur had failed to realize that he had already died back on earth, and had come to avalon as a spirit. His soul was pretty much the only thing he had left, and using part of it to create excalibur made him become irreversibly bound to teh sword itself, and he lost his ability to leave the island. Instead, he became keeper of Avalon (becoming the 'lord' of the lake). All the other legendary weapons that are present on the island are replicas created by the island, and all of their wieelders are similarly just specters of the real ones. Excalibur and Arthur are the only genuine, original articles held by the island, and as such are leagues above even normal god forged bosses.

Arthur could only be confronted as an 'after end-game' boss. when the player Smith has already created their god forged item, they would have the opportunity to climb the mountain again and challenge arthur to a duel. If they defeat him, their god forged item becomes the new excalibur, and they would then become the new keeper of avalon. Needless to say, this boss would be almost impossibly hard.

As for your idea though, i do still like it quite a bit, what if we replaced arthur and his excalibur and replaced it with caliburn (since the island should still have a copy of the original god forged blade) with either a 'spectre arthur' or have it wielded by one of his kingts like lancelot or bedivere, and have hem fight mordred?

I like the general idea, but i already had Arthur's spectre sort of reserved as a 'ultimate final boss' type character for the roleplay.

Basicaly, the legendary blade excalibur is the most famous blade created by the forge, but it;s also the one whose copy that has yet to be found on the island, even by those few who have made it up to the god's forge, leading the people to believe that it really is just a myth.

In truth though, excalibur is a mythical weapon called a 'twice-forged' weapon, one that was first created in the god's forge, and then refined within it a second time. When it was first created it was the sword of divine right to rule, Caliburn, the legendary sword in the stone. When Caliburn was damaged in battle though (I've not yet decided which weapon will be the one to have damaged it), Arthur quested back to Avalon and climbed up to the god's forge himself.

see, there's a reason why smiths can take back a god forged itsem away from the island despite the whole 'no changing th island' rule. The god forge doesn't work with normal materials. The raw materials used to create the items that come out of it are the Smiths' own souls. They literally pour their heart and soul into their greatest creation, and since their soul has always been their all along, not a product of the island, Avalon has no claim to anything created from the forge.

oh, that's another thing, Avalon is actually the forge itself. Travelling to the peak of its mountain you'll find a portal there (after beating all the bosses) that transports you to the very heart of the island where you'll find yourself before the mythical lady of the lake, who explains to you that Avalon herself is the ultimate forge from which the weapons of the gods themselves were born.

Anyways, back to Arthur, the king fought his way to the heart of the island and, when meeting the lady, said he wished not to create a new weapon, but instead to use the forge (and his soul) to repair Caliburn. The result was that Caliburn ''the sword of right to rule" became Excalibur the twice forged "the sword of promised victory".

Of course, on his adventure, arthur had failed to realize that he had already died back on earth, and had come to avalon as a spirit. His soul was pretty much the only thing he had left, and using part of it to create excalibur made him become irreversibly bound to teh sword itself, and he lost his ability to leave the island. Instead, he became keeper of Avalon (becoming the 'lord' of the lake). All the other legendary weapons that are present on the island are replicas created by the island, and all of their wieelders are similarly just specters of the real ones. Excalibur and Arthur are the only genuine, original articles held by the island, and as such are leagues above even normal god forged bosses.

Arthur could only be confronted as an 'after end-game' boss. when the player Smith has already created their god forged item, they would have the opportunity to climb the mountain again and challenge arthur to a duel. If they defeat him, their god forged item becomes the new excalibur, and they would then become the new keeper of avalon. Needless to say, this boss would be almost impossibly hard.

As for your idea though, i do still like it quite a bit, what if we replaced arthur and his excalibur and replaced it with caliburn (since the island should still have a copy of the original god forged blade) with either a 'spectre arthur' or have it wielded by one of his kingts like lancelot or bedivere, and have hem fight mordred?

Okay. So, what about we have the copy of Caliburn wielded by Lancelot fighting Mordred with Clarent. What is Mordred's role in this? If this is your concept, then we can modify mine: Lancelot and Mordred are engaged in eternal combat at the bottom of the mountain. One or more of the Smiths show up and destroy the balance, releasing the spectre of Mordred, who then escapes and becomes a villain of the story, trying to climb the mountain to take Arthur's place. This would be where the Unseelie (evil fairies) come into play, backing Mordred to defeat Arthur, who is essentially an embodiment of good. What about this?

hmm, well, the way you described it, it seems to me like this is something that would span the whole story of the game, but even reaching the foot of the mountain won't happen until end-game for these players. The mountain that they must climb is basically the last dungeon of their quest, not the quest in its entirety. i think it would be more fitting if the two were both met regularly in the story beforehand, but always individually. Mordred, the awakened spectre of Clarent, has started to make his way to teh mountain in order to climb it and enter the god forge himself. In response to Clarent's awakening though, another, unnamed sword woud also awaken, and form the spectre Lancelot to carry it. Lancelot then feels compelled to chase after Mordred and to stop him. So the smiths would regularly meet Mordred and Lamncelot seperately while on their quest. the former looking to get to the top of the mountain, and the later trying to find him and chasing after his trail when he does. The frequency at which a Smith encountered one for the other depended on their recent moral decicions. If the smith had taken a bunch of selfish or violent decisions recently, thy were more likely to encounter mordred, if they had made several selffless and noble choices recently though, they wer emore likely to encounter lancelot. The two would only finally be met together when the player reached the top of the mountain, Lancelot having caught up to mordred just in time to stop him from reaching the forge. There they will start to fight, and depending on previous actions, they will have various reactions to the Smiths' precsence. If the smith just never really triggered a ot of encounters with the two to begin with, they will just ignore his presence until he actively involves himself in their fight. If he has encountered one (or both) frequently and has made them like him, that character will attack the other while asking for the Smith to help. If the smith has encountered one (or both) frequently and has made them dislike him, that character will attack both the other character and the Smith at the same time.

So the smith may either sit the first fight out entirely, it could be a 1V2 fight, it could be a tag-team 2 on 1 fight, or it could be a three way battle royale, all depending on previous choices.

either way, when either lancelot or mordred die, the first battle is over. The one who is still alive will pick up the other's sword and initiate combat with the Smith. If the survivor dislikes the smith, then they will both have the same reaction and attack him just because of enmity. If the survivor is lancelot and he likes the smith, he will initiate combat in a wish to test the smith's stregth and finally deem if he is worthy of facing arthur. If the survivor is morderd and he likes the smith, he claims that he respects the smith's power and skill, and considerd him a worthy adversary. and for that he wants to take you down, feeling that he can't go and kill arthur in the forge until he;s made sure which of the two of you is the strongest. Either way, the second half of the 'final boss' will be fighting the survivor as he dual wields Clarent and caliburn. Both of teh fighters will have a very similar style with very similar moves, the major difference being that lancelot will favour more defensive moves, while mordred will have a more offensive approach.

i think that this is the best approach to take with these two.

Ok, so what is the current focus? Topography? I need to know where to start

well, i suppose geography and topography would be the first places to start for the actual worldbuilding, yes, but I was under the impression some of you still had questions concerning what had so far already been conceptualized.

Oh god, not a map builder. Though I could probably try. However, I just thought it was the best place to start. Can't really figure out monsters until we know what sort of environment we have.

Oh god, not a map builder. Though I could probably try. However, I just thought it was the best place to start. Can't really figure out monsters until we know what sort of environment we have.

Yes, yes indeed. Buio implied we're getting trolls in there, so let's think: These things are big, so they'll either need a lot of small prey or some big prey. For the former, there can be a lot of open space or an extensive system of underground tunnels, where bats and rats and cats can hide. For the latter, open space is a must. Trolls are most likely to be carnivorous, so they need not be in an extensively vegetative ecosystem, so long as the Tier 1 Consumers can survive. Trolls, again, are large, so they most likely will be Tertiary Consumers, so they'll have lots of defenses, such as tusks, fangs, claws, thick skin, thick fur, superior eyesight, scent, and hearing, as well as speed and strength, and maybe even poison. There will be no natural predators in their ecosystem (maybe outside of the caves). They would reproduce sexually, and be sexually dimorphic. Males are much larger than females, and the tusks are much more prominent (bulls sport curving tusks about a meter in length versus females who only have tusks about a foot in length), and the process of courting involves displays of strength (throwing the largest boulders possible, wrestling rival males), scraping of tusks on cave walls to gather more territory, and flat-out offensives towards other males, locking tusks and fighting to the death. Females produce a litter with an average of six spawn, the gestation period lasting about 12 months, and both parents care for the litter for about six months. The bulls remain with their mate for life to protect the female from rival males, and reproduce every 14 months, the added 2 given to allow each litter time to mature and develop the capability of surviving on their own. It is not unheard of for the offspring to kill each other off before maturity as a sign of dominance, which the parents allow. Trolls are solitary aside from the mating pairs. If a mate is killed, the other flies into a blood rage, and will not stop until the killer is devoured. A big weakness (given they live in caves or underground) may be extensive light, not to mention the weapons of the God Forge. So, with the ecosystem created and the top tier filled, let's move down: Secondary Consumers. I was going along the lines of some sort of reptile, like a serpentine Wyrm. The Wyrms would grow throughout their lives (they could reach massive sizes), but are often eaten by Trolls before they can get too large. They are not sexually dimorphic, and it is impossible to tell males and females apart at the surface. Egg clutches could number from 30 to 50, and Wyrms reproduce every 6 months, gestation lasting for the same period. Wyrms do not care for their young, and are solitary animals. The population is only kept in control by Trolls eating adolescent and adult Wyrms and Chirops cracking the eggs and sucking out the unborn Wyrms. Thus, the numbers allow for the Wyrms to survive. Hatchlings have scales about 1/8 of a centimeter thick, adolescents 1/2 of a centimeter, and adult scales are a full centimeter thick. The scales are slate-gray to pitch-black, acting as camouflage in their environment. They constrict prey or swallow it whole, and are incredibly fast at all ages. They are perfectly capable of swimming. Their only natural predators are Trolls, who are strong enough to rip them apart and suck out the juicy meat and have good enough nocturnal eyesight and smell to spot the serpents in the dark. Noticeable traits are the spine crests along the serpentine heads that grow with maturity. Tier 1 Consumers: Chirops, large (about a foot by a foot), omnivorous bats. They're natural prey would be the Lirn (the producers), a rapidly reproducing species of large night crawler (a big worm for those of you who don't know) that devour the fluorescent lichen that grow in the caverns like a plague, and glow because of their diet. The Chirops are also capable of eating the lichen themselves, as well as eating unborn Wyrms by cracking the eggs, but prefer the taste of the Lirn. They hunt with unbelievably accurate echolocation, have short, flat teeth and razor-sharp talons they use to grip and tear at prey. They have thin, downy fur, and a squashed looking face with milky eyes. They reproduce often (every week), with a gestation period of 4 days. Every litter contains about 100 offspring. The population is checked by Wyrms devouring Chirops by the scores. They are not sexually dimorphic, and gather together in large flocks of up to 1,000. Now, this covers the land-based population. Lying in the waters of the cave systems are the fluorescent fish called Casys, with wide-set eyes and a flat body. They reproduce every three months, with egg clutches numbering up to 50 spawn. They have no true defense mechanisms, relying upon their flashing lights to dissuade predators. Chirops are known to devour hatchlings and eggs, and Wyrms are known to feed on adolescent and mature Casys in place of Chirops if the situation demands it. They feed on lichen and Scorpos, a rapidly reproducing (every 2 weeks, with a clutch of 8 eggs) breed of insect with 16 legs, a stinger tail, 4 pincers connected to 4 of the limbs, fluorescent and extremely poisonous, the Casys being the only who are able and willing to eat them. The stingers are ineffective against Wyrm scales, and Troll skin is usually thick enough to block the stingers.

There I just created an entire ecosystem, and the creatures to populate it. That wasn't too hard, was it?

they don't need sexual dimorphism. Sexual dimorphism is actually pretty rare in any large degree. Even humans aren't that impressively different. Birds on the other hand, top the scales for dimorphism. I would expect that with tusks, the quest for a mate would involve something akin to two rams bashing heads. It just seems to fit the idea of a troll, plus tusks aren't often seen outside herbivores, so I would expect similar behaviour. And then do the trolls lactate? Are they mammals? I would a assume so, probably with an ape ancestral line, of course that doesn't have to be the case on a fantasy island.

Do we want trolls to be the only tertiary consumers? I would think that in a vast world, they would have at least some competition, especially if they mostly dwell in caves and below ground. Perhaps an animal that lives out in the open and is just as effective as a hunter and an adversary, while not being confined to a certain area.

I think Wyrm reproduction should be kept to once a year. Twice a year would seem to me to be too much stress for the solitary animals to handle. Plus I imagine that building the nests is no easy feat. I doubt it would be viable to do it more than yearly. Also, I don't think it's clear if they are nocturnal, diurnal, or what sort of environment they can life in. It can't be cold, considering they are reptilian, so they shouldn't be living near the trolls, which can clearly withstand the temperatures deep within caves, aka cold.

You can call that a complete ecosystem all you want, but it's superficial as hell. Sorry if I want more depth. If we're making a fantasy island why not do it well? Besides, the environment is important, considering the tendency of most fantasy to basically use one type of environment as the setting for an entire world. Want centaurs? Make the world a forest. Want a harsh climate? Make it an arctic world.

So yeah, more that 5 animals, more than 1 environment, and a bit more depth of thought.

Also, just as my own little suggestion, anyone opposed to subterranean ruins? I ask because I realize the ruins would probably come from some sort of civilization, and that means that perhaps it is impossible, because the environment doesn't tend to be affected by outside influence. So it would have to be from some sort of extinct native sentient creature that died out long ago, I just think it could present some unique opportunities, as well as possible help for players.

Now, if we can have the ruins, I have a species to put in them. Known as Sarions or Sarioons to humans and those who cannot speak their language, they are a sentient species with an advanced culture, though no advanced technology in a military sense. They live within the ruins because at one point in history, when the ruins were built, they were enslaved to the builders. The society that built them was wiped out by a disease that their systems were incapable of fighting. Even the Sarions themselves were affected by the outbreak. Now, they live in relative harmony with the environment around them, even going so far as to develop a technological marvel of dark based agriculture deep within the ruins. The plants they grow are even edible to humans, though strange. Two main species of plants are grown within the darkness, fed only by UV lighting. So, under normal white light, the two plants look to be either dark purple or black, because the photosynthesis they perform is best under the UV spectrum. One is called Sendellion to humans, a name distantly derived from the name of the original inhabitants of the ruins. They are small plants with thin, broad dark purple branches. At the end of each branch, a "fruit" that is a lighter shade of purple grows. It is edible, though it does not actually contain seeds that would make it a fruit. It is more akin to a bud. The "fruit" is sweet, and is quite a powerful stimulant for humans, even verging on psychedelic. But it does have usefulness for humans. While it may be packed with what one might consider a dangerous narcotic, it is also brimming with essential nutrients that humans require for good health. Of course, if the smiths are already completely provided with food, the only advantage to humans it would serve is a fun little trip. The second fruit is known as Benden, and is entirely black and much thinner, growing straight up with dark branches jutting out at regular intervals, in much the same way that earthen plants may grow according to according the Fibonacci sequence or Golden Ratio. Due to this, when looking at the plant from above, it's branches appear to spiral infinitely in on themselves. Despite appearances, the plant is quite soft, and though bitter tasting, is not psychoactive and is a large energy booster, without the effects of a caffeine crash or sugar crash. This one can be very advantageous for a smith wishing to go on an extended journey without the need to sleep.

Back to the Sarions, they are entirely crystalline white, and stand at about 8 feet tall, with long, thin limbs. Their skin looks much like scales, although upon close inspection, it is clear that there is a clear, light refracting outer layer, with much the same light reflecting abilities as a perfect diamond. In fact, the outer layer of the epidermis is carbon in a crystal, 3D lattice, which pretty much means that it is an organic form of diamond. The scaly pattern comes from the second layer of skin, this one of softer material but still quite hard. It is snow white in colour giving individuals their actual colour, though they do tend to sparkle in the proper light. This is partially why they are generally nocturnal and subterranean, as the small amount of light is less likely to give them away. The reason for such a showy appearance derives from their enslavement to the original makers, who bred them for looks, much like humans do with domestic animals. But Sarions have always been highly intelligent, and the treatment of their species led them to attack their masters when the sickness hit. Now, males and females do not differ noticeably in appearance. All are of about the same height and have the same markings. Two crests extend from the base of their nose slits, extending all the way down their backs to the base of the tail. On their backs are a differing amount of soft spikes, that can be hardened in defensive situations. They grow one for every approximation of century that they live. They are extremely effective defenses, as well as a good way to attract a mate. The longer they live, the more desirable they are. They also have the ability to dislocate all four limbs into different hip slots, giving their bodies noticeable angles around their shoulders and their hips. They only do so in times when they have to fight, as they can move much faster and become more agile when on all fours. They will also harden the spikes on their tails and uncurl the tails that they usually keep wrapped around their legs. The tail is long, nearly doubling them in length. It is also very similar to an actual whip, and can be used as such. Their long neck allows for the transition to be next to painless, as it is also highly muscular. They have sharp claws on all four limbs, which they generally use for hunting because they are generally carnivorous, aside from the few plants they farm.

The faces are perhaps the most interesting, because they are rather human like. It appears they have one mouth, two nostril slits, two eyes, and two slits for hearing. Such an observation would be incorrect. The mouth is segmented so thinly that it is impossible to see the segments until it opens partially or fully. Somewhere between 10 and 20 segments are present per individual, but it varies quite often. These segments serve as pre digestion, as they will break any food apart that goes in the mouth. Watching a Sarion eat is like watching a facial seizure. When it pulls back all of the segments, the inside of the mouth is not spacious like that in mammals, but is instead filled with cross crossing razors. Sarions cannot perform peristalsis, as their muscles are not small or individual enough to perform it properly. So, they tend to use gravity and a special connection between their "lungs" and "stomach" to pull food down through suction. Special glands at the base of their throat contain a certain neurotoxin developed from the remains of their favourite prey, the Mencel, which I'll describe later, and from the acid from their "stomach" (which is not much like a mammalian stomach beyond digestion) which is highly corrosive. This makes them a brutal adversary in battle, though they are hard to anger.

Although they eat most prey they can kill either individually or in small groups, their favourite prey, and the hardest to kill, is the Mencel, which is a gigantic, eight legged creature that is best described as being somewhat similar to a horse. It's shoulder reaches about 11 feet, and it's head a possible 2 more. They are around 16 feed long and the tail adds another 3 when spread away from the body. It is as close to an organic tank as anything can get. With long, thick legs and a battering ram shaped body, it is nearly impossible to get at a part of the animal that would allow a hunter to kill it. That is why the Sarions have evolved the way they have. Their wiry thinness allows them to get under the Mencel's barrel like chest and to the soft parts near the back, pretty much the only spot that their acid vomit has a chance to penetrate. In terms of evolution, it is also the only place the Mencel's cannot have armoured, or their entire method of mating would have to be reworked. So the Sarions are skinny enough to dig their way between the thing space in the Mencel's legs, but only when there are others to distract the beast. It is nearly impossible to kill alone unless it is asleep or dead.

Now, the Sarions and the Mencels could prove to be good adversaries for certain types of rare materials, though I feel it would be better to befriend the Sarions by doing errands for them than to try to kill them, as they are quite horrible to take on, and even a drop of the neurotoxin could end it all. They also have few known weaknesses. Mencels could have some sort of organ that would need to be harvested for some type of weapon. Bringing down one of them would almost make it necessary to befriend the Sarions, because getting to the soft spots would be pretty hard alone.

Yeah, so there's a preliminary suggestion.

they don't need sexual dimorphism. Sexual dimorphism is actually pretty rare in any large degree. Even humans aren't that impressively different. Birds on the other hand, top the scales for dimorphism. I would expect that with tusks, the quest for a mate would involve something akin to two rams bashing heads. It just seems to fit the idea of a troll, plus tusks aren't often seen outside herbivores, so I would expect similar behaviour. And then do the trolls lactate? Are they mammals? I would a assume so, probably with an ape ancestral line, of course that doesn't have to be the case on a fantasy island.

Do we want trolls to be the only tertiary consumers? I would think that in a vast world, they would have at least some competition, especially if they mostly dwell in caves and below ground. Perhaps an animal that lives out in the open and is just as effective as a hunter and an adversary, while not being confined to a certain area.

I think Wyrm reproduction should be kept to once a year. Twice a year would seem to me to be too much stress for the solitary animals to handle. Plus I imagine that building the nests is no easy feat. I doubt it would be viable to do it more than yearly. Also, I don't think it's clear if they are nocturnal, diurnal, or what sort of environment they can life in. It can't be cold, considering they are reptilian, so they shouldn't be living near the trolls, which can clearly withstand the temperatures deep within caves, aka cold.

You can call that a complete ecosystem all you want, but it's superficial as hell. Sorry if I want more depth. If we're making a fantasy island why not do it well? Besides, the environment is important, considering the tendency of most fantasy to basically use one type of environment as the setting for an entire world. Want centaurs? Make the world a forest. Want a harsh climate? Make it an arctic world.

So yeah, more that 5 animals, more than 1 environment, and a bit more depth of thought.

Also, just as my own little suggestion, anyone opposed to subterranean ruins? I ask because I realize the ruins would probably come from some sort of civilization, and that means that perhaps it is impossible, because the environment doesn't tend to be affected by outside influence. So it would have to be from some sort of extinct native sentient creature that died out long ago, I just think it could present some unique opportunities, as well as possible help for players.

Yes, they lactate and are mammals with ape-like features. Think large gorillas with tusks, claws, and stand on two legs. And this was only one sub-system in the entire environment of Avalon. If a Troll were to wander out of the underground despite the daylight or increased level of light off of the moon (during a new moon would be when any of these would likely be seen on the surface), they'd be faced with competition from the rest of the island (who the hell knows what will be on the surface?). What I typed up is just the conditions I thought of for the Avalon underground. Don't judge me for not incorporating something I don't know about. We can create other parts of it now and link them later. I suppose Wyrm reproduction can be limited to once a year, as it would make sense. All of the species are nocturnal, except for the Lirn and Chirops, which are crepuscular. And we still don't know what sort of sentients live on Avalon. I'm assuming that we have fairies (with an undefined appearance or habits). And why do they have to be extinct? Let's have some real competition for the Smiths going underground aside from some fucked up fauna.

So, will the Sarions be enemies? They sound friendly, of course, but their skin appears to be diamond. That on it's own could prove valuable enough to a sadistic Smith wanting to reinforce a blade with diamond or make some very nice jewelry.

Yes, yes indeed. Buio implied we're getting trolls in there, so let's think: These things are big, so they'll either need a lot of small prey or some big prey. For the former, there can be a lot of open space or an extensive system of underground tunnels, where bats and rats and cats can hide. For the latter, open space is a must. Trolls are most likely to be carnivorous, so they need not be in an extensively vegetative ecosystem, so long as the Tier 1 Consumers can survive. Trolls, again, are large, so they most likely will be Tertiary Consumers, so they'll have lots of defenses, such as tusks, fangs, claws, thick skin, thick fur, superior eyesight, scent, and hearing, as well as speed and strength, and maybe even poison. There will be no natural predators in their ecosystem (maybe outside of the caves). They would reproduce sexually, and be sexually dimorphic. Males are much larger than females, and the tusks are much more prominent (bulls sport curving tusks about a meter in length versus females who only have tusks about a foot in length), and the process of courting involves displays of strength (throwing the largest boulders possible, wrestling rival males), scraping of tusks on cave walls to gather more territory, and flat-out offensives towards other males, locking tusks and fighting to the death. Females produce a litter with an average of six spawn, the gestation period lasting about 12 months, and both parents care for the litter for about six months. The bulls remain with their mate for life to protect the female from rival males, and reproduce every 14 months, the added 2 given to allow each litter time to mature and develop the capability of surviving on their own. It is not unheard of for the offspring to kill each other off before maturity as a sign of dominance, which the parents allow. Trolls are solitary aside from the mating pairs. If a mate is killed, the other flies into a blood rage, and will not stop until the killer is devoured. A big weakness (given they live in caves or underground) may be extensive light, not to mention the weapons of the God Forge. So, with the ecosystem created and the top tier filled, let's move down: Secondary Consumers. I was going along the lines of some sort of reptile, like a serpentine Wyrm. The Wyrms would grow throughout their lives (they could reach massive sizes), but are often eaten by Trolls before they can get too large. They are not sexually dimorphic, and it is impossible to tell males and females apart at the surface. Egg clutches could number from 30 to 50, and Wyrms reproduce every 6 months, gestation lasting for the same period. Wyrms do not care for their young, and are solitary animals. The population is only kept in control by Trolls eating adolescent and adult Wyrms and Chirops cracking the eggs and sucking out the unborn Wyrms. Thus, the numbers allow for the Wyrms to survive. Hatchlings have scales about 1/8 of a centimeter thick, adolescents 1/2 of a centimeter, and adult scales are a full centimeter thick. The scales are slate-gray to pitch-black, acting as camouflage in their environment. They constrict prey or swallow it whole, and are incredibly fast at all ages. They are perfectly capable of swimming. Their only natural predators are Trolls, who are strong enough to rip them apart and suck out the juicy meat and have good enough nocturnal eyesight and smell to spot the serpents in the dark. Noticeable traits are the spine crests along the serpentine heads that grow with maturity. Tier 1 Consumers: Chirops, large (about a foot by a foot), omnivorous bats. They're natural prey would be the Lirn (the producers), a rapidly reproducing species of large night crawler (a big worm for those of you who don't know) that devour the fluorescent lichen that grow in the caverns like a plague, and glow because of their diet. The Chirops are also capable of eating the lichen themselves, as well as eating unborn Wyrms by cracking the eggs, but prefer the taste of the Lirn. They hunt with unbelievably accurate echolocation, have short, flat teeth and razor-sharp talons they use to grip and tear at prey. They have thin, downy fur, and a squashed looking face with milky eyes. They reproduce often (every week), with a gestation period of 4 days. Every litter contains about 100 offspring. The population is checked by Wyrms devouring Chirops by the scores. They are not sexually dimorphic, and gather together in large flocks of up to 1,000. Now, this covers the land-based population. Lying in the waters of the cave systems are the fluorescent fish called Casys, with wide-set eyes and a flat body. They reproduce every three months, with egg clutches numbering up to 50 spawn. They have no true defense mechanisms, relying upon their flashing lights to dissuade predators. Chirops are known to devour hatchlings and eggs, and Wyrms are known to feed on adolescent and mature Casys in place of Chirops if the situation demands it. They feed on lichen and Scorpos, a rapidly reproducing (every 2 weeks, with a clutch of 8 eggs) breed of insect with 16 legs, a stinger tail, 4 pincers connected to 4 of the limbs, fluorescent and extremely poisonous, the Casys being the only who are able and willing to eat them. The stingers are ineffective against Wyrm scales, and Troll skin is usually thick enough to block the stingers.

There I just created an entire ecosystem, and the creatures to populate it. That wasn't too hard, was it?

Hahahaha! *claps* I had just thrown in the trolls in the above post as a generic fantasy monster i wouldn't have to think too hard about, but i'm half tempted to actually include those described trolls as part of the game now. Also, i think that you got Wyrms confused for salamanders lol (though, to be fair, teh depiction of wyrm varies so damn much from game to game that there really isn't a canonically 'correct' depiction of them anymore).

all that being said though guys, i do think that Tanz's original point stands. It would be a lot easier to decide exactly what kinds of areas we have in our world before starting to populate them (though i really do like the enthusiasim you guys are going at all this with ^_^).

first off, number.

Not including the central mountain, how many other regions/areas do you guys think avalon shoudl have I knwo i said earlier that there was 'pretty much every type imaginable' but that would put the number of areas that we have to run at about 20+ from rough estimate. Considering the amount of detail that is gonna go in this worldbuilding project, part of me thinks that this number might be a bit too high.

so first off I want you guys to tell me what number of different areas you think is acceptable, as well as what kind of areas you think should be included.

Ruins do exist on Avalon, but they were left there by the earliest Smiths who hadn't yet learned about the safe zones and their workings, and how those areas could create sustainable, permanent settlements. As a result, very few of the ruins encountered in the wildernesses will be very big, I'm thinking maybe 3 actual 'ruins' indicating an actualy progressive civilization, one will be carved out of the top of the central mountain. one will be located somewhere in the overworld (maybe a dense jungle or sth like that) and one would be located somewehere in the island's 'underworld' (the subterranean areas such as caves, suken graveyards and lava pools). but that would be the very maximum.

at least that is what would fit best with my original idea of avalon. This is still a group project though, so i'm not against putting up to a vote. If you guys think it would be more interesting to have some ancient civilization having populated the island before the arrival of the smiths (maybe the fae?) then I can go with that idea too.

one important thing though, i'd rather there not be any fully sapient beings on the island other than the Smiths (and possibly a very few remaining fae if we go down that route) once the rp starts. So species that are usually observed to have some sort of proto-human culture like lizardmen and orcs will have to be re-tooled to be more bestial.

I do this mainly because one of the things I really want to be part of the rp world is rivalling factions. Since the safe-zones are always separated by extensive wilderness areas, the cities built within them all operate pretty much as independent city-states, all with different governmental systems and different politics and cultural values. Because of this, I imagine that war (or at least conflict and competition) between them would be frequent and/or common so this is where the smiths woudl get the majority of their 'PvP' interactions from. If we introduce another race (like orcs for example) that could have their own complex, human-like society but exist outside of the safe zones, then some of that conflict shared between the 'city states' would necesarily have to include or make mention of the other 'nations' of the island.

Status
Not open for further replies.