Sci-Fi Pathfinder?

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the Tinkerer is a third party class isn't it?
It is. Oh, I thought you meant races (some third party races are pretty powerful, but by default they're all allowed). Third party classes are allowed unless I think there's a balancing issue (but I don't think there will be).

The stuff from Dreamscarred Press' Path of War is pretty powerful. That said, I'm still interested in it. Notably the Steelfist Commando Warlord archetype (because being a punch-goddess is just fun), although Warlord in general is also fun. Android Charisma penalty would hurt, though. Mystic (Aurora Soul or Knight Chandler) could also be interesting, if just a little bit strange to work with.

I will look at the third party stuff. Should we make a OOC thread? And get basic character making stuff beginning?

Last edited:
Tin Man - Pathfinder_OGC
Tinman might be a fun multi to multiclass into later on. like get 1-2 lvs into a fighter class or something

Squole?
Squole - Pathfinder_OGC
Actually I love Squoles now. I might lay one if you allow it. I'm ok with you giving them more weakness to balance it out.

Last edited:
I will look at the third party stuff. Should we make a OOC thread? And get basic character making stuff beginning?
Yeah, we probably should. Squoles and Tinmen are probably fine.

The stuff from Dreamscarred Press' Path of War is pretty powerful. That said, I'm still interested in it. Notably the Steelfist Commando Warlord archetype (because being a punch-goddess is just fun), although Warlord in general is also fun. Android Charisma penalty would hurt, though. Mystic (Aurora Soul or Knight Chandler) could also be interesting, if just a little bit strange to work with.
I'll look at this.

So, apparently, the Steelfist Commando isn't that OP, buuuut to be extra sure, would it be alright if perhaps you started at a lower level than the rest of our character or has less attribute points or something?

So, apparently, the Steelfist Commando isn't that OP, buuuut to be extra sure, would it be alright if perhaps you started at a lower level than the rest of our character or has less attribute points or something?
I think I'm being a Squoles. You can rename them if you want to fit better in the lore.

EDIT: you can add lore to them I decided I'm going to be a Squole Magus.

Squoles will be a race of slimes that evolved a humanoid form, perhaps after assimilating a humanoid creature of some sort.

Martial disciplines make a lot of difference. I am curious, what do you think about the vanilla Warlord or the rest of the Path or War classes, in general? I don't see a big problem starting with reduced attributes or level. Both can be overcome in time (particularly a lower level, which sorts itself out somewhat naturally) or with gear (well, to some extent). I will point out that if i did play an android I'd already be less effective in some ways,as any features (and effect DCs) running off Charisma would be less effective from racial ability score adjustments.

I also have some other questions and thoughts, too. So, tossing those up now.
What would be the starting character level, point buy, wealth, and so-on?

How are guns in the setting? Gunslinger seems like it could be a pretty fun character to run, particularly if there are more modern firearms.

Since androids are associated with a major godlike entity, an android with the Conduit racial quality as either a cleric, or oracle might be a fun and natural concept.

Not sure I have much else that I've wanted to try and might fit. Maybe an alchemist or a witch. Witches are awesome. Summoners are also pretty cool, but I've seen what on can do to a game, and it's...interesting, so I'll hold off on that one. Though having a summoned buddy or two in a small party may be a good thing.

And that's all the rambling I have.

Martial disciplines make a lot of difference. I am curious, what do you think about the vanilla Warlord or the rest of the Path or War classes, in general? I don't see a big problem starting with reduced attributes or level. Both can be overcome in time (particularly a lower level, which sorts itself out somewhat naturally) or with gear (well, to some extent). I will point out that if i did play an android I'd already be less effective in some ways,as any features (and effect DCs) running off Charisma would be less effective from racial ability score adjustments.

I also have some other questions and thoughts, too. So, tossing those up now.
What would be the starting character level, point buy, wealth, and so-on?

How are guns in the setting? Gunslinger seems like it could be a pretty fun character to run, particularly if there are more modern firearms.

Since androids are associated with a major godlike entity, an android with the Conduit racial quality as either a cleric, or oracle might be a fun and natural concept.

Not sure I have much else that I've wanted to try and might fit. Maybe an alchemist or a witch. Witches are awesome. Summoners are also pretty cool, but I've seen what on can do to a game, and it's...interesting, so I'll hold off on that one. Though having a summoned buddy or two in a small party may be a good thing.

And that's all the rambling I have.
Truth be told I'm a bit new to Pathfinder, so it's a bit hard for me to tell if something is OP or not.

Guns: They're fairly ubiquitous, and Zion in particular loves them. My character is probably going to use some kind of assault rifle/SMG.

Personally, I really like the idea of an android cleric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth be told I'm a bit new to Pathfinder, so it's a bit hard for me to tell if something is OP or not.

Guns: They're fairly ubiquitous, and Zion in particular loves them. My character is probably going to use some kind of assault rifle/SMG.

Romance allowed lol, just wondering norm8ng it isnt in pathfinderm but this is iwaku

Romance allowed lol, just wondering norm8ng it isnt in pathfinderm but this is iwaku

What are you asking? Romance is allowed, yes, though keep it PG-13ish.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking that I'll make my own homebrew guns for this setting.

What are you asking? Romance is allowed, yes, though keep it PG-13ish.

On an unrelated note, I'm thinking that I'll make my own homebrew guns for this setting.
That's agood idea guns normally are homebrewed in pf since there so limited

I mean, there are guns I found, though the main thing with guns is that they...big surprise, tend to be a lot more powerful than typical Pathfinder weapons. While I love guns, I also kind of the like the idea that melee weapons and bows would still be in use despite it all. So I'm trying to think of how to keep them in...

I suppose I could just make them all martial weapons or something.

I mean, there are guns I found, though the main thing with guns is that they...big surprise, tend to be a lot more powerful than typical Pathfinder weapons. While I love guns, I also kind of the like the idea that melee weapons and bows would still be in use despite it all. So I'm trying to think of how to keep them in...
Make alot of mosters have resistance ti bullets like you cant shoot godlizza. y
Then your probably cant shoit a dragon.

Alternatively, I could just upgrade all the non-firearms weapons (IE, make it so they get an extra die of damage or something, and/or perhaps melee weapons give some kind of AC bonus?)

Trust me, Path of War stuff is a bit above the power curve compared to typical classes, so you are right to be leery of it.

Homebrewing guns is a tough thing to do, yeah. PF's just a bit limited in some capacity, compared to other games for doing SF style fun with guns everywhere. My suggestion is to just refluff stuff for why they don't work the same way, or whatever. As long as the damage dice are reasonable on a weapon, it won't broadly overshadow other weapons. So, keep the damage reasonable, and so-on, and it should be fine. They generally have damage comparable to other ranged weapons, limited reloads or ammo, and high critical multipliers but low critical rates.

The big thing with guns in the setting may just be that they're common enough to be martial weapons, as that's a thing available in the rules.

No real need to upgrade other stuff. Using guns as available should be fairly balanced as a ranged option. Possibly easily accessible to anyone, as they are. But the inherent rules for the rest should keep a gun from being naturally superior to any other weapon.

Status
Not open for further replies.