Saving The World In Spite of Ourselves

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
With Eleanor's help an exhausted Kaden was able to move Shola so that she lay next to where Trevean was half slumped against a rock. It was a relief to have everyone alive, but there was something so off about having the Boss Lady out of it in the light gone from Trevean's eyes.
"Don't worry Aquaman," Kaden murmured, almost slurring the words, to no response, "Ms. Eleanor looks like she has a plan."

He moved next to place a hand on Lilith's shoulder and settle into the dirt next to her. "Sis, you okay?"

Treavean didn't even spare a breath to tell Kaden it was useless, to just let him be. Neither did he register that the witch was already hard a work repairing what had been broken. And then it was back, all of it. Trevean's eyes widened in wonder as he hastened to probe the bond, using it to check Shola without saying a word. He wasn't exactly sure what he was looking for, just that she was there. For a moment that fact alone over-road the lingering sadness.

"I'm so sorry, everyone. I'm so, so sorry. I've hurt the people who mean the most to me. I'm so sorry."

"No," Trevean whispered showing the first sign of his usual self since the bond's breaking," No, no, no . . ." he tried gently to reach for her hand and hold it in both of his, and hug her at the same time. Trevean's skin was still as cold as the ice that had nearly been his tomb.

"Shit, Boss lady," Kaden grumped crossing his arms and trying not to look like he was huddling for extra warmth. "It was those whatever-their-names-were, that family. They screwed with you. Besides, we're all here in one piece. And glad to have you back. No one thinks it was your fault at all --" He took a deep breath trying to hide the lingering chatter in his teeth. "But maybe we could go someplace homey and have some hot food or something while we go over it all? We still have to figure out where the goddess's casket is --"

Kaden's words were broken off by a loud series of excited barks and the frantic whine of a digging dog. Sensing the danger had passed, Kalya had left Nadia's side to track down the source of an interesting scent, and the result was the canine finding first the object the adults sought, half buried in rubble but revealed by Shola's raging storm.
She yapped again, rising to place both paws on the exposed portion of the lid and wagging her tail excitedly.

"Nevermind," and this time there was an audible tremble to Kaden's voice.

• Love
Reactions: Midian
"The casket," Shola murmured, squeezing Trevean's hands tightly. Slowly she rose and helped him up, moving next to help Nadia up as Lilith and Dante struggled to their feet too. Piper and Eleanor helped Kaden and once they were all standing Shola turned to face the casket, slowly limping over to it.
"Your first time," she said to Kaden, laughing weakly. "Just put your hands on it and concentrate. I think the rest happens naturally."

The metal of the casket was cold to the touch, its golden finish somewhat tarnished. Shola hung back as they all put their hands on it, watching with exhausted indifference as they all began to glow, a rhythmic hum emanating from their bodies. Piper gripped the casket as it glowed and hummed along with them until everything subsided and the wind picked up gently. Eleanor stepped away first and rubbed the back of her neck.
"The least I can do is let you all recoup at the estate."

She opened a portal for them, the wormhole leading them back to the estate where they were immediately mobbed by Eleanor's sisters and Seth. Everyone was swept into the house where injuries were tended to and rooms were parceled out. Shola wordlessly shifted her clothing into a long sleepdress and tunneled under the massive comforter of her and Trevean's bed, reaching out for him as the fire crackled gently in the little fireplace. Meanwhile Dante had buried his upper half in the decorative bed pillows while he half-heartedly struggled to kick his boots off. Nadia, seeing how blue Kaden had been, had cornered Kaden with Lilith's help to get him into a hot bath.
"Kaden, come on! You're blue, you've got to get a warm bath!" Nadia exclaimed. "Otherwise you're going to get sick! It's just a bath Kaden."

She turned to Lilith for support, nudging her lightly.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon
"Kaden, come on! You're blue, you've got to get a warm bath!" Nadia exclaimed. "Otherwise you're going to get sick! It's just a bath Kaden."

Lilith shook herself back into the present when Nadia nudged her. The Guardian was still exhausted from the fight even after a chance to rest, but just figured that her body would heal in time. She knew that the fight to get Kaden into a bath would be a long one, if they would be able to win it at all, but she humored Nadia and had decided to play along anyway.

"It's not like the water is going to hurt you, bro. You'll feel so much better afterwards! It'll probably put a dent in that smell coming off of you too."

Working together, it took the two girls no time at all to back Kaden into one of the bathrooms. Once inside, Lilith locked the door with a grin and made her way over to the tub to start the water.

"It's for your own good, you know. Don't fight us on this. You're going to lose."

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Midian
Kaden was horrified, and too tired to put up a proper fight, but he would be damned if he didn't at least put on a good show. Light but he was cold!

"I bath regularly," He grumbled in response to Lilith's smell remark, "Just not by sitting in a basin full of water better used elsewhere."
He wasn't quite sure how it had happened, his letting two tiny women bully him away from his room and the happy snoozing Kalya. It didn't make logical sense for a man his size, but somehow here he was. "Look just let me go lay down in a pile of blankets. I'm sure I'll get warm enough that way." In his panic he missed the slight slurring of his words.

He almost didn't realize they had gotten him into one of the bathrooms until he heard Lilith turn on the tap. He looked wildly over his shoulder to her and then back to the door just past Nadia where he could see the lock had been set. His cold fuzzed mind taking a tick too long to fully understand.

"Woah, come on now. Seriously, what good is it going to do to sit in the water? " he tried to reason, fighting not to show how uncomfortable the request made him. "Look, I'll clean up regularly, and go sit in front of the fire with a hot mug of something if you're that worried. But let the water be put to good use."

Trevean had helped himself to a hot shower and a pair of blue plaid, flannel Pjs as Shola got everything settles with Eleanor and the others, coming back into the bedroom to find his Guardian already in bed. He was quick to snuggle down with her wrapping the woman in his arms, partly for the added warmth and partly just to be close. Trevean knew well the danger he had been under, but all that mattered was that they had come through and everything was once more as it should be.

He tried to push the dire queen's words and the doubt that came with them out of his mind, and focus solely on the present.

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Midian
"All of you was frozen, so all of you needs to be in the water at once," Nadia grumbled."Besides, it'll get recycled or something. And if you don't bathe, I'm going to get in there and bathe you myself, along with Lilith."

Nadia leaned on the sink, crossing her arms and yawning as Kaden finally bathed and exited the tub. If she had been any less tired she might have been more interested in his nudity, but as it was she could barely muster a light blush and looking down at the floor. Nadia did, however, notice his scars, and wondered that his back was so clear while the rest of him wasn't. Not that it looked particularly bad, but she found them (and his tattoos) intensely interesting. Once he'd redressed for bed she opened the door and followed him out, going to her room and collapsing on the bed. She was asleep mere seconds later. Dante was equally asleep when Lilith found him, one boot off and snoring away under the pillows.

Shola wrapped her arms tightly around Trevean and ran her fingers through his hair, holding him as much for his warmth as his company. She wasn't sure how well either would sleep that night, if exhaustion would win over bad dreams. He was alive and returned to her, and for now, that was all that mattered. Shola didn't remember falling asleep, or waking up during the night, but in the morning she found her entire body unbearably sore and aching. Trevean was with her, though, and she smiled at him. It had been worth it.

Later, once everyone had been gently coaxed to breakfast, Shola profusely thanked Eleanor for restoring the bond and helping them, as well as for providing them with food and transportation. When everyone had finished packing Shola led them out onto the front lawn and conjured a portal.
"When we get to Coroco, we've got a lot of training, Lilith," Shola said, following them all in before shutting the portal.

On the other side, back in Coroco, they found the royal city teeming with refugees of all shapes and sizes. Shola took a deep breath, squeezed Trevean's hand, and began leading them into the palace. To Shola, it seemed as if the hard things had just begun.

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Falcon
Kaden had spend most of the return to the Fairfax estate being stripped of his wet things in exchange for dry, bundled up in enough blankets that he resembled a small mutli-colored bean pod, and fed various warming liquids as quickly has he could get them down. At some point between the third bowl of hot broth and the forth mug of cider the house Physician pronounced him in "no immediate danger" seeming pleased that Kaden's core temperature was within the normal range. Bed rest and dressing warmly were all that were prescribed.

Now, Kaden wished more than anything that his sister and Nadia had been around to hear the doctor say that. He looked at the slowly filling tub, to Lilith, to Nadia, to the locked door. His sluggish brain grappling with the idea that both intended to stand there and watch him.

"All of you was frozen, so all of you needs to be in the water at once," Nadia grumbled."Besides, it'll get recycled or something. And if you don't bathe, I'm going to get in there and bathe you myself, along with Lilith."

The idea of nudity in the context of a bathing environment was not what bothered Kaden. In fact it was to be expected. How could one bath without exposing the areas needing washing. No, what got to him was the idea of Nadia's "help" as if he were some invalid in need of help, or worse a child. And even if he had been in need of assistance the job should have fallen to a member of the brotherhood, a medic, or family. Nadia fit none of those categories, and the idea of allowing her to . . . well he had already refused to allow her the one open position that might have made that acceptable and he was too much a coward to admit he wanted to change his mind - at least outside of pen and paper.

With a grunt of discontent Kaden slowly and stiffly stripped the shirt from his back, his joints still feeling the effects of the cold. With a wary glance back at both women, though he didn't exactly care if his sister saw or not, Kaden turned his back to both in the semblance of modesty, dropped his drawers, and stepped gingerly into the tub. He ignored the nagging voice that told him Nadia could easily get an eyeful scars and all, and shoved the idea of being found repulsive to the back of his mind. It didn't matter what she thought anymore. By his own actions he had lost the right to wonder about her opinion forever. If either girl had been paying attention it would have been easy enough to see the intricate web of tattooed stripes and spirals running from his shoulder to just above the top of his knee along his back, chest, and outer thigh.

The water in the tub was only lukewarm and Kaden wondered at it for a moment as he lowered himself into the large basin, but a moment later Lilith turned the hot water tap again and he understood. The were going to slowly raise the temperature of the water around him until he was in a hot bath and they were satisfied he was well.

Kaden crossed his arms and pouted and let them glare him into submission as he sat in a basin full of gradually warming water until Lilith pronounced the bath done. He could barely manage to look at either of them when he was finally allowed to dress and head to bed.

Kaden woke with the sun the next morning, convinced that the only reason he had been able to sleep in the bed the night before was pure exhaustion. Every part of him hurt, but at least he didn't feel cold. He must be going soft, that or the cold of the battle had been that much worse than a night in the desert.

During breakfast Kaden couldn't help but keep an eye on Aquaman and the Boss lady, pleased they seemed more normal, but noting how tired and melancholy Trevean looked dispute the profuse gratitude he displayed towards Eleanor and what seemed to be a heartfelt apology though Kaden couldn't hear the words. Trevean also seemed to almost cling to Shola, watching her carefully when the nack couldn't be at her side.

As they walked through the portal in into the city on the other side Kaden could see Trevean holding onto Shola's hand almost as if it were a lifeline.

Yet Kaden was very quickly distracted from his companions. The city was teaming with life, but not the same sort he had seen last time. These were refugees. He could tell from their faces and their cloths. People from all over, people from places he had only read about, recognizable by the description of their garments, and Daalai. It was so strange to see his own in a place like this, and for a moment Kaden fought back an overwhelming sense of loss.

And then a voice called out to him. A voice Kaden hadn't heard in months but one he knew as well as his own.
"Kaden Morayo! I'm disappointed in you!" A man's voice rang out across the crowded street.
Kaden flinched at the tone to it.
"You swore to me you'd dance at my wedding. Now we've had to scrap the whole thing and move the ceremony out here just so you can attend. Do you have any idea how hard it is to plan a wedding in a refugee camp! Sala was not happy!"

Kaden turned to address the speaker, but before he could quite get the words out he was swept up into a brotherly hug.
"Just kidding, Kay," the man chuckled as he let him go. "We'd have had to leave anyway, and getting to see you again was one of the perks. I'm still having trouble rationalizing that things went down the way they did."
"It's good to see you too, Addae," Kaden murmured tiredly, grasping the man's arm in greeting.

Addae was a hand taller than Kaden's 5'8, but he was only long, not big. Long hands, long fingers, long limbs, long face, even his white hair was long - worn with two thin tied locks over each shoulder and the rest loose in back. Slightly anemic looking with high cheekbones that set off unusually bright eyes in a face that was pale for a Daalai, but it was a paler that spoke on long illness and little time in the sun. In fact rather than the garb the group could see on the other Daalai men in the vicinity, Addae wore a long over-robe as if to shield himself from the daylight and he smelled of the plant oil Kaden had once given Trevean to protect against the desert sun.

Unlike Kaden, Addae had not forgotten his manners and as Kaden stood there like a giant shock-silent lump, the other man turned and bowed to the rest, each by turn.

"I am grateful that Kay's got new friends such as you to watch his back," The man stated smoothly As he addressed Piper, Dante, and Trevean "He has a knack for getting himself into the worst of it. And you must be the lost sister?" he stated turning to Lilith who was the only obvious Daalai woman among them. "I hope you find Kay made with better cloth than the rest of the family." Kaden's expression suddenly went blank.

Turning to Shola, Addae bowed once more. "And you are Captain Rehau?" he turned to Shola, "It is an honor to meet such a valiant warrior, and a pleasure during a time of peace. I assure you I find it a great comfort that Kay's got such a person to keep him whole.
"Anyway I can tell you're all tired and I should cease my prattling and let you go. Come by for a meal sometime though, Kay." It was then his eyes fell on Nadia, and Kaden was a hair too slow to hide the uncertainty in his expression.

"And this lovely young woman must come as well!" Addae bent over Nadia's hand brushing her fingers lightly against his lips in a gesture that was certainly not common among the Daal.
"I thought you were getting married?" Kaden questioned pointedly.
"Oh Sala knows exactly where my heart lies so she won't mind. Especially not if this angel comes with you. Oh come now. I can tell when you're interested even when you're too stubborn to admit it to yourself." He turned to Nadia with a grin, "My dear you have no idea how many girls I've had to reassure after his willful ignorance of their interest." He said straightening with a mischievous look to his eyes, and grinning at Kaden. "And sometimes the only remedy is to tell them you swing the other way."
Kaden bit back the protest against the growing absurdity of Addae's behavior that was forming on his tongue, finding instead that he wanted to laugh.
"Your mother was not amused in the slightest." Addae continued. "I always knew she disliked me. Now I believe she hates me." Kaden had to admit the man certainly had a flair for the dramatic. On the last line Addae had managed to look quite put upon and innocent all at once. Kaden was actively fighting the laughter now.

"Yes, well her dislike is a difficult burden to bare," Kaden remarked dryly. "Please tell me you didn't put yourself out too much on my account?"
"Put myself out? Oh no. I rather enjoy the games. Anything to cause trouble for her and her circle. Even the most powerful of them." Addae reached out a hand to pat Kaden's shoulder and then turned to go. "Come for a meal. I'll be easy enough to find."

A moment later the tell tale flow of white hair was gone and the group was left to proceed along their way.

• Love
Kaden's successful bath was a victory that Lilith included with the others of the day, and once she was able to ensure that her brother and Nadia were both tucked away for the night the path back to her room seemed to never end. As she expected Dante seemed to have fallen asleep long before her return to the room, and the only thing currently stirring was the little sack doll as he dragged any loose garments of Dante's into the bottomless bag.

"Pin-ko, do you ever sleep?" Lilith whispered, to which the little doll replied by shaking his head wildly and abandoning his duties to climb up the werewolf's hair and plop down on her shoulder.

"Hey buddy. Glad to see you stuck around here to be safe. You must have known we would be back." Unable to think about sleeping at that moment, Lilith planted herself in the window.
"Goddess, Pin-ko, it was incredible. I had no idea that she- that we possessed that kind of power. Power inside of ourselves as well as over our Others."

She silently watched the pile of pillows that was Dante rise and fall slowly with each breath. Not really knowing what to say even if he did have the ability to talk, Pin-ko patted Lilith's cheek with his fingerless limb. For the next several hours Lilith remained in the window, watching over Dante as he slept until the faintest signs of light appeared in the sky. It was then that she finally rose from her spot to step out and bathe, but quickly returned to wake Dante so that they could go down to breakfast.

With Pin-ko's help packing didn't take long at all, and after a rather long (and one-sided) tearful goodbye with Eleanor's sisters, Lilith moved on to thank Eleanor personally for everything she had done for them. As they stood at the portal with Dante, it was very unclear exactly who was leaning on who.

"When we get to Coroco, we've got a lot of training, Lilith," Shola said, and Lilith nodded.

"Clearly."

On the other side of the portal, it was a bit overwhelming how busy everything had gotten. Lilith's widened as they met the crowd, and even the approach of Kaden's old friend wasn't entirely enough to rip her eyes away from their frantic search for their parents.

"And you must be the lost sister?" Addae said, singling Lilith out and bringing her attention back to the present. "I hope you find Kay made with better cloth than the rest of the family."

"I think it's pretty obvious that that isn't the case." She replied warmly, the bags under her eyes becoming more and more obvious as she turned to look up at Kaden. "I couldn't have asked for a better surprise than finding him. Although now I feel I'll need to take someone's family history before trying to kiss them in the future."

As Addae left the group to tend to other things, Lilith's focus fell back on the group of Daalai people as they passed through. To Dante, a hint of nervousness would travel through to bond as he felt Lilith's body stiffen. The feeling only subsided as they reached the steps of the castle.

• Love
A rare event for the girl, Nadia stood, stunned and speechless as Addae touched her hand to his lips and teased her and Kaden. She knew her face had to have been tomato red, but she couldn't help grinning a little as Addae kidded with Kaden about making his mother angry. From what she had seen of the dreamspace, his mother was a bitch and deserved getting hassled. When the tall, skinny Daalai man disappeared into the crowd, Nadia glanced back at the group, and then again in the direction Addae had gone, but ultimately followed the group to the castle. Shola, who had bowed to Addae when he addressed her, looked grim as they worked their way through the marketplace flooded with people. Trevean could see that her lips were pressed in a thin, bloodless line, and tension had already begun to creep into her posture.

Likewise, Dante had noticed Lilith's unease and, unsure of what else to do, had put his hand at the small of her back as they walked. Reluctantly he tried to gently fiddle with the bond and send her something positive, but what came through as a strange haze of nausea, anxiety, and the intense need for a cigarette. Dante lit one and took a deep breath before he saw Lilith's face.
"Sorry," he muttered, pulling her a little closer and blowing the smoke over her head. "Whatever it is, I'll handle it."

Dante wasn't sure whether it was the idea of seeing her parents again, or possibly running into Shaka that was making her nervous. However, to some dark, largely-untouched part of him, it didn't really matter what was bothering her. There had been plenty of times in his life where he had felt powerless, but this wasn't one of them.

However, she had relaxed as they ascended the palace steps, and he put the cigarette out when Shola turned and shot him a look that might have killed others. She paused as they came into the main atrium and took a few steps ahead so she could see all of them.
"For awhile, I may be hard to find, or I may be swamped in work. So I won't be as available. In the meantime, I could really use help. Lilith, I want you with me in the early evenings for training. During the day, I'd really like you with the archers to keep working on your shooting. Dante, I-- Dante?"

At the mention of assigned work, Dante had disappeared. Shola growled a little to herself before sighing.
"Anyway, Kaden, I'd like you working with the Red Guard as a liaison officer for those working with the Daalai refugees. You'll mostly be dealing with conflicts between them and non-Daalai citizens. Cultural conflicts, although I imagine there will be other problems too. Hans will be waiting for you, and you can ask a servant to take you to him. Trevean, I want to meet with you and Aus-- Maevric about Coroco citizen conflict resolution. Mediation, like Kaden will be doing. I'm going to see if Maevric can head that project and you help him. In fact--"

Shola reached over, snagging a servant as he passed.
"Go get Maevric Auster and tell him to meet me as soon as possible at the queen's office."
"Uh, y-yes ma'am."
"As for Nadia and Piper, you're both young women and there's a library here larger than anything you've seen. Go study. And will you two take my bags to my room?"
"I'll do it," Nadia offered. "Piper, you wanna meet in the library later?"
"Sure," Piper shrugged. Nadia took Shola's pack and trotted off to her room, struggling to dump the heavy bag on the bed. It didn't help that her footing was uncertain in the room whose floor was a sea of clothing, shoes, bandages, and paperwork. With a final "oof" Nadia managed to put the pack on the bed, although part of it slouched off and a letter tumbled out of it. She picked it up, intending to return it to the pack, but upon seeing her name on it, she opened it up and began to read.

Meanwhile, Shola led Trevean to the queen's office, where Maev had been led by the servant. As they approached the closed door, they passed rows and rows of prominent and royal citizens of the near and distant past. Shola paid them little attention, too used to passing them by in a hurry. She gave Maev a brief salute to put him at ease and tapped on the queen's door. When there was no answer, Shola turned back to them.
"We'll wait until she returns to see if there's anything we need to be brief on. In the meantime, Auster, I need some dispute mediators and want you and your brother to work together to run it along with a few others that I've chosen personally. They've got their missives and will just be waiting on you two to tell them to get to work. I also have to find a place for you two to work in town, an office, if you will. Do you two think you can work together?"

[/hr[

Kaden found Hans, a tall and thin man in his mid-thirties with an eyepatch over his left eye, waiting for him down at the stables. Hans was sitting on a crate and reading a book while the horse behind him mouthed and licked his topaz-colored hair.
"You're Kaden Moranyo, right? I'm Hans Uller, of the Red Guard."

He stood and shook Kaden's hand, great tufts of hair sticking up at the back of his head.
"Captain said you're going to help settle disputes with the Dalaai refugees, cultural conflicts and all. Some people still don't like your nation even if the war's been off awhile... You won't have trouble from the good ol' RG, they'd never risk pissing Cap off. The regular guard might feel differently. You need to tell me if you have problems with them. What I need from you today is to draft up a rough guide to your customs and manners, just to clear up any broad issues. Tomorrow you'll need to brief the guard as a whole on those and answer questions. After that we'll work together out in the field--"

Hans stopped, abruptly drawing his sword.
"Who are you?!"
" 'sup," Dante replied, waving casually at Hans and walking over to the horse that had been "grooming" the older man. It looked at Dante and stuck its tongue out to its full length.
"Yeah, I remember you," Dante said, patting it hard on the neck before wandering off to the other end of the stable and out the door. Hans slowly sheathed his sword.
"Who was that? A friend?" Hans asked, looking puzzled.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Kura
The moment Trevean realized Dante had lit up the nack shifted to Shola's other side to be just that much more out of the way. It was fortunate Dante was behind and down wind of them and that they were out doors, but as it was Trevean was too distracted to say anything to the other man. His emotions were still a distorted jumble that even he was having trouble sifting through and that added to a lack of sleep caused by a desire to avoid the nightmares he knew would come meant he had to focus twice as hard when Shola turned to offer them all instructions.

He held her hand as they walked, or tried to. The moment Maevric arrived Shola moved away. Trevean thought little of it except to wish she'd stayed beside him, but Shola was in "Captain mode", or at least that's what he would call what he was feeling from the bond, a drive to work and get things organised. Yes as they waited for the Queen, and as Shola filled Maevric in on her plans, Trevean became distracted by the wall of portraits outside. He didn't hear a word either said as he drew away.

The portrait in question hung about halfway down the passage back the way they had come. It was an all-too-familiar face, but not in a good way. A somewhat handsome man with dusty blond hair, a high brow, and a too-wide mouth had been depicted in a Corocian general's uniform. The lips turned upward in a slight smirk, but the eyes were still somehow cold, amused but somehow dangerous.

"Yeah, I think I can manage that," Maevric's voice echoed slightly from the office. "Trev - Blast, where'd he go." A set of foot steps suddenly rushed out of the office, only to stop as their owner sighed. "Really, you need to pay attention."

But Trev's eyes were locked on the painting, "Who is this?" were the only words he could manage. There was an edge to his voice, and Shola could feel a chill roll through the bond. It suddenly seemed very important to him to know. Fortunately Maevric picked up on it and moved his armored girth back through the hall to see what Trevean was staring at.

"That man would be Devros Leolin," Maevric answered firmly. "He was a General of her majesty's army, hero of the Daal war, and a legend around here among the older guard. They say he died holding the pass alone so his troops could reach safety, though unfortunately not many survived . . . why? Who did you think it was."

"Someone very much alive," Trevean murmured, "Gadael Kayne."

It was clear Maevric had no clue who that names belonged to, but through the bond Shola got a sharp twinge of fear - before it was firmly stamped down - and a flash of a steel cage closing in a twilight filled room as a laughing face peered in. The face in the memory was a dead ringer for the one hanging on the wall with the slight addition of a bit of facial scruff.

"You um . . . wanted us to work on something?" Trevean asked forcing himself to move back to the office. "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

The letter was the one Kaden had written to Nadia in the midst of the trial, the one penned when he had been so sure he was about to leave them forever. The words themselver were almost elegant, and coming from a man like Kaden it was obvious it had taken him hours to put them to paper:

Nadia,​
If you are reading this, then I am dead.​
Written on this page are words that I cannot leave unsaid.​
I am sorry.​
I cannot express how much. You wanted only my companionship and friendship and I picked fights and rebuked you. Perhaps some of it needed to be said, but I could have chosen other, better, gentler methods. Better still if had I left well enough alone.​
Your life is your own and I had no place getting involved, and no right to try to sway your decisions as I did.​
If I could take back the things I said and did I would. If I could make a different choice I would.​
I meddled where I did not belong, and did to you what I have found so hurtful when done to me. For that I am extremely sorry. If I thought you had reason to forgive me I would beg your pardon a thousand times, take on any penance you assign even if it sent me into the heat of the sun herself. But I know I have no right to ask.​
As I write this the Prieto clan, justifiably, asks my life for that of their child I killed among other things. And I do not want to leave this earth without making some apology, as pathetic as it may be.​
Know that you are a better friend than I deserve.​
I ask only your forgiveness, and that you remember me fondly when I am gone.​
- Kaden​

Kaden was almost flattered to be given such a task. To be given any task really. For the first time in a long time he felt hope. Hope for a future.

Kaden's first impression was that he quite liked Hans. And warrior who could read a book in a stable was Kaden's kind of man. If they had that much in common perhaps they would get along well. Kaden had always found tasks easier when performed for or with a person he could talk to, even if it was only about books.

He was nodding attentively when Dante's presence caused a brief interruption.

"Who was that? A friend?"

"Him? oh, Dante's just my sister's isoka." Kaden answered without thinking as Dante vanished. A look at the slight confusion on Hans face and Kaden rephrased. "I believe 'isoka' would translate to 'romantic companion' " he clarified, "I'll right up a list of commonly used words as well."

Last edited:
  • Love
"Lilith, I want you with me in the early evenings for training. During the day, I'd really like you with the archers to keep working on your shooting."

The Daalai girl nodded, then looked around as Shola repeated Dante's name. He had disappeared, and Lilith expected nothing less from him when Shola was giving out orders. She was confident he would return when he got hungry, she just hoped that he wasn't snooping around in her house again.

The other parts of the group broke away to their specific duties as Trevean and Shola left to tend to business, leaving Lilith wondering were she should even be going to find the Queen's archery unit. She wandered down the halls for a while, inspecting different rooms along the way. Pin-ko, who had managed to wrestle himself out of her hair, walked on the floor beside her. The entire castle was pretty populated by servants and soldiers, which eased Lilith's mind a bit. She had no doubt that someone as snakelike as Shaka would be able to sneak into the palace, but surely he wouldn't be stupid enough to try anything around other people. It was this thought that lead to her extreme uneasiness when she found herself walking down what seemed to be an endless deserted hallway.

It wasn't clear whether it was mental, or whether there was actually danger lurking behind each curtain or tapestry that she passed. The hairs on the back of her neck stood as she swore a small hint of a familiar smell wafted through the air. Lilith's breathing quickened as she walked faster, causing Pin-ko to have to run to even keep up with her.

"Where is everyone?" She panted. "They fucking disappeared."

It was then that a nearby curtain rustled, sending the Daalai girl into a panic and causing her to dart down the rest of the hallway, unable to stop until she saw another person. The poor servant she came across panicked as Lilith grabbed on to her, but settled once she explained herself.

"Captain... Captain.. Shola. Orders. Need to find.. archers. Please show me."

By the time they arrived, Pin-ko had finally managed to catch up and Lilith had caught her breath. The servant pointed out what seemed to be the leader of the group, and Lilith reluctantly headed over, placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Excuse me, I was sent by Captain Rehau to be trained. My name is Lilith Morayo."

• Love
The man turned to Lilith, his badly scarred face pulled in a mischievous smile. He appeared to be in his late forties, scars tugging at his mouth and deadening his left eye. Even his blonde hair was streaked over with white at the temples.
"And who are you? Come to try your luck with the archers, or are you after our fame and glory?"

At this he laughed and so did the others around him. They were all a lean, rangy bunch with the alertness of underfed dogs seeking a meal, although they gave off no immediate sense of malice.
"So it seems the Captain has found another talent she has no idea what to do with. She know she needs us, but she has no idea what to do with us; mostly we are left to our own devices.

He laughed again and patted Lilith hard on the back.
"Well, let's go down to the range. You can walk and shoot, right?"

The range consisted of a maze of targets arranged so that one had to move to his each from the ground level. As it was explained to Lilith by the man, who turned out to be named Lt. Cero Arlas, they timed everyone who went through. The best time was three minutes by a younger, wide, violet-eyed archer named Lisle, who stared at the world through a prison of red hair.
"Whenever you're ready to begin," he said, nodding to Lilith.

In her room Nadia crushed the paper to her chest and leaned against the wall with an audible 'thump'. He must have given them to Shola to distribute when he thought he was going to die, but now-- now what? How did she go forward? Run to him and show him the note? Pretend she'd never read it and try again? No... She didn't really relish that one. If only someone could hand her a Kaden Manual that would tell her how to approach the situation. Just the right steps to take, or at least ones that weren't massive blunders. There had to be a way, somehow...

She thought back to Addae, who seemed to have been a childhood friend of Kaden's. Maybe he would know what to do. It was a little frightening, going among people who might not speak her language, but she knew she wanted to try. There had been too much putting off, too much being left to the dead. Nadia put the letter in her pocket and threw on her sachel, leaving the castle and flowing into the Daalai camp. She knew almost immediately they had to know she didn't belong there, but she kept moving forward with purpose, looking for Addae.

On the way she got tangled up in a throng of people who seemed to be trying to help a family with their horse, which was attempting to foal in what seemed like their home enclosure. Whoever usually helped with animals was not around-- or dead, Nadia though with a shiver. Carefully she made her way to the family and the horse, cognizant of all of the eyes on her as she went around to the back of the horse. The back feet of the foal were out, although still inside the sac. Nadia dug out her sewing scissors and found a packet of disinfectant wipes, cleaning them as best she could before carefully rupturing the sac. Next she began gently pulling the foal down towards the mare's feet, helping reposition it until it began to move again on its own. Once it was out, still connected to the umbilical cord, Nadia took and looked down at her soaked blue dress. Unsure of what to say to the others, there was a loud commotion from behind the crowd that let her slip off. It wasn't a long trip of asking everyone she met "Addae?" before she was delivered to him at last, smelling of horse and covered in various fluids. She'd meant to arrive clean, but...
"Addae... I wanted to ask you a question since you've known Kaden a long time," she said, launching into the question before arrangements could be made for her dripping dress.

Meanwhile, Shola looked at Trevean with concern, able to put the pieces together as to the identity of his tormentor. However, as much as she hated the thought... The present was so much more pressing. Shola repeated the duties of the position to him, barely finishing before a servant called her away to meet with the queen and Trevean was left alone in the hall with Maevric. As Shola made plans for the refugees with the queen, Hans sent Kaden on to work on his dictionary list with a time for him to report in the morning to brief everyone. However, Hans had also offered to give him time to see his people again if he wished.

• Love
Trevean looked awkwardly at his brother as Shola was called away. There was much left unresolved between the two of them and both felt it. Yet Maevric had already offered up a flag of truce at their last meeting, meaning this time it was Trevean's turn. However there was a strain between them that the older Nack found difficult to work around.

"So," he started awkwardly, "You not only made it into the guard but have managed well it seems"
"No thanks to you," came the grumbled retort before Maevric tool a deep breath and started again. "It's going to take time, brother. I am glad you're back, but I'm afraid I lack Ed's optimism and faith about the truth of what happened . . . It will take time."
"I understand, and I also know I don't deserve the chance you're offering --"
"Lets focus on the job for now."

A short time later saw both men hard at work, each striving to prove themselves worthy of the opportunity Shola had provided, albeit for very different reasons.

Nadia was brought to Addae only to find him in a tent that had been set up to look like a sort of office. There was a small folding desk piled high with papers and several folding chairs. Two of the sides were tied up to let in light and fresh air and there seemed to be a constant bustle of people to and from and surrounding Addae who seemed to be hard at work at the desk. It seemed the young man was in charge of keeping some order in the camp. That or he was holding down the fort for the person who was.

Addae was quick to pull to chairs off to the side for them to talk the moment he recognized Nadia, and he gestured for her to sit as he poured them both a drink from a silver pot that looked remarkably like milk tea, though the flavor was decidedly not something found commonly in Coroco.

A willowy, dark haired, Daalai woman closed the rear curtains as she left and the flow of people began to go around the tent instead of through it.
"Sala will find you something fresh to wear," Addae assured her before he sat himself and began to listen.

He was silent a long moment after Nadia was done but when he spoke it was in a thoughtful voice that spoke of leadership skills and not the fun loving jokester of their first meeting.

"Kaden was not - always as you know him now. He used to be full of fun and life no matter what fate threw at him. He had a way of bringing hope even in the worst trouble. I'd give anything to see that man again, and I believe he can be that again with enough time and patience, but it will take a lot of work. Especially if your intentions are romantic. Kaden had walls . . .
The worst started about five, six months ago. He's changed. Kay's been a different man since we started the defenses along the Kir boarder and I --"

The was a shout of greeting from outside just then and before Addae could finish Kaden himself ducked in.
He was not dressed as Nadia had seen him before. Neither in the cloths provided by the Corocian palace or the khakis and T-shirt of Pandemonium. Rather Kaden was clothed in the full travel garb of the Daalai brotherhood. The very chocolate brown robes he'd been wearing when banished from daal, now washed and mended. Several layers full of straps, belts and pockets, that left only his hands and face bare. Even his wrists bore leather bracers and his feet were shod once more in the thick, heavy boots designed to walk on hot sand. It was obvious he found comfort in the familiar clothing.

Kaden stopped short and shot a wide eyed look at Nadia, but before he could speak the dark haired woman way back. Her long, dark hair was tied back by a beaded kerchief and flowed down a back bare except for the ties of her halter-top. He matching flowing pants were woven in a pattern popular in Daal and there were large cut outs on the outer sides that left the majority of her thighs bare. Each step she took was accompanied by the jingle of an elegant coin beaded scarf tied around her hips and similar anklets. The woman's arms and wrists were decorated with numerous bands and bracelets Sala's family were jewelers by trade, it made since she would wear and display their work, much of it her own. Though there was only a single necklace about her throat. The one Kaden knew her father had gifted her upon her acceptance of Addae's proposal.

"Kay," She greeted him with a light kiss on the cheek, "It's good you are well."
"Sala," he returned warmly. But the woman's attention was already on Nadia.

"Come, dear," she stretched out both hands in welcome, "Kay and my soon-to-be-husband have much to talk over. And you, are in need of clean garments. I have finally located some to fit you."

Kaden could only stare at the floor as they left, struggling to bring his emotions in check.

• Love
"And who are you? Come to try your luck with the archers, or are you after our fame and glory?"

Lilith looked the group over as they laughed at their own remark. Compared to what she had seen and had to fight outside of Coroco, they didn't come across as a very impressive-looking bunch to the Daalai girl. For a brief moment she pictured the panic that would ensue had the archers been placed in front of the Irriam and chuckled in her head.

"I'm not hear to 'try my luck', and I have no interest in your glory," Lilith replied, raising an eyebrow as she turned to Lt. Arlas, "I'm here to get more training so I can help save the world, and that is all I want from you."

"So it seems the Captain has found another talent she has no idea what to do with. She know she needs us, but she has no idea what to do with us; mostly we are left to our own devices.

He laughed again and patted Lilith hard on the back, easily sending her forward a few inches.
"Well, let's go down to the range. You can walk and shoot, right?"

"I think I might be able to manage it." Lilith mumbled, following the Lieutenant to the range. She fiddled with the bow string that crossed her chest and her palms became increasingly sweaty the closer that they got. She listened to Arlas as he told her about the maze and that fastest person to run it as she removed her bow from around her body and adjusted the strap of her quiver.

"Whenever you're ready to begin," Arlas said, and Lilith took a deep breath before nodding. Time started, and the young werewolf darted into the maze, hitting the first target with no problem. Her next target loomed about twenty feet above her, but this proved to not be a challenge. Lilith loosed another arrow that hit the bulls eye with very little effort. The next few targets required more concentration and balance since they had been placed in a zigzag pattern just out of her eyesight on each side, but surprisingly Lilith battled through. After what seemed to be an eternity, the ending of the range and it's last target came into view, distracting Lilith so that she didn't see a bale of hay strategically placed in the path for situations such as these.The bale caught the tip of Lilith's foot, sending her flying into the ground in front of her. With a grunt of pain, The Daalai girl sat up with a hand clamped over her broken nose and blood dripping from her chin. A foot away, her bow lay broken in half in the dirt.

"Fuck."

Meanwhile back at Addae's tent, the flaps of the tent were closed and the traveling crowd began to move around instead of through. Only one figure remained stationary outside as Nadia and Addae spoke, watching as Kaden entered and Nadia left with Sala.

Ruwa remained just around the corner from the front of the tent, leaning in the allow her ear to barely touch the fabric. She listened as the men spoke, and a wry grin spread across her face as they finished up and Kaden appeared through the tent flaps. Circling around through the crowd so that she could meet him from the front, Ruwa let out a shrill scream of Kaden's name that announced her arrival before she was even visible.

"KAYYYYYYYYYYYYY DEN! My dear! Finally! I've been looking high and low for you! Mostly high." Ruwa called, a wink accompanying her jab at his height. "It's so nice to see that you're still alive. I would have thought I would get some kind of letter with you being exiled and all."

• Love
Reactions: Midian and Falcon
"Not a bad attempt all in all," Arlas said, appearing out of seemingly nowhere and helping Lilith up. "Next time, may I suggest landing on your arms instead of your nose?"

He guided her over to the archer Lisle who was sitting on a bale of hay and eating an apple. At seeing Lilith's broken nose the girl patted the bale next to her and without warning smooshed her hand into Lilith's face. There was an almost-painful warmth over her broken nose, but Lisle leaned in when Lilith tried to lean away until Lilith's nose was completely healed. Lisle smiled at her after that and took another chunk out of the apple.
"Lisle, don't you need to go see your Other today? I heard she wasn't feeling well," Arlas asked, and Lisle nodded. She looked up at the sun, unblinking, and then hopped off the hay bale as though she'd just checked her watch. In a moment she was gone and Arlas handed Lilith another bow and arrow.
"See what you can do with a loaner," he instructed patiently. "Try again."

The grievance office proved to be little more than a tent with two guards in front to control the constant stream of parties needing their disputed mediated. Some of them were quite serious, ranging from accusations of theft and rape to squatting by refugees, to hair-tearingly petty grievances like the ownership of a lost dog or a dented copper kettle. Some of the disputes had to be send to the Daalai resolution tent, a few rows down, where they were waiting on Kaden to begin his work the next morning and so only kept a written log for him to tackle. It was clear that Shola had set most of the systems in place, but that the sheer number of bodies wanting their attention was staggering; the tent walls frequently bowed and shifted as people pressed against it on their way elsewhere.

As the afternoon wore on, a disturbing trend emerged: many families came to them asking for their children to be returned to them after the children had disappeared. It seemed many of the children had been seen by a particular freelance healer (although many gave different, but similar names) and the children had never been returned.

At the Daalai camp, Nadia smiled at Sala and trotted behind her as Sala took her to get some new clothing.
"Thank you, I know I smell like horse," Nadia said, dutifully taking what Sala gave her and holding it away from her soiled dress until she could be alone to change. The top was a good few shades darker than her skin and came from just above her breasts to almost the hem of her skirt. The skirt was a light, rust-colored material trimmed in gold with knee-high gatherings on each side to facilitate easier movement. She lastly put on the sandals, which mercifully could be adjusted to fit her feet, and emerged just in time to hear Ruwa speaking to Kaden.

"It's so nice to see that you're still alive. I would have thought I would get some kind of letter with you being exiled and all."

Nadia took a deep breath and tried to contain the bright spark of anger that flickered to life inside of her. Yes, it was a terribly rude and jeering thing to say, but maybe they had an understanding? The way she joked about it had been nothing like the way Addae had, however, and Nadia moved closer to listen in on their conversation. If this was the woman from his dream space, the one that had always belittled and tried to control him, Nadia wasn't above standing up for one of her friends.

• Love
Reactions: Falcon and Kura
Trevean did what he could to tackle each case in a fair and efficient manner. His gift for seeing the greater picture aiding him greatly. But as time wore on and the trend in missing children appeared he began to feel sick.

The Nack was meticulous in taking down those records. Recording each detail of the child missing as well as the healer they were said to have seen. It was his hope that enough of the details would match in the parents' accounts that they could not only figure out the pattern of the vile kidnapper, but a court artist might be able to create a drawing on who to look for.

"Maev," he murmured when they had a spare moment to breath, "We need to issue some sort of statement. Some warning to the parents that their children need to be supervised until we can get this particular matter sorted. No child should be left alone to the care on any healer."

"I agree," his brother's expression was just as serious as Trevean's own. "If you can hold down the fort for a bit on your own I'll go see what I can do."

Trevean agreed, and while the people in line were frustrated that progress was slowed, the nack knew it was for the best of all involved.
He could not overlook this.

Kaden hesitated, not now wanting to admit his reasons for coming to see his oldest and dearest friend. The letter he had written Nadia and the promise he had made himself that he now feared to act upon. Addae sensed it, and after the customary greetings and small talk offered to show Kaden the camp. Kaden agreed. Perhaps by the time they were done Nadia would have returned to the palace and he would have gained the courage to admit he had come seeking advice.

Kaden was not expecting the face that was waiting for him when he and Addae stepped outside.

"KAYYYYYYYYYYYYY DEN! My dear! Finally! I've been looking high and low for you! Mostly high."

There was no hiding the way Kaden flinched back from Ruwa, the expression on his face one up utter contempt. His 5'8" frame took a step back to stand beside Addae's taller one.

"And what right have you to expect a letter?" came the biting retort from his lips. "When I said we were done, Ruwa, I meant it." His voice was hard and firm, cold almost.
"Go crawl back to Tendaji's bed. That is your usual refuge in my absence is it not?"

It was very clear that Kaden knew exactly what he was saying, and was doing so deliberately, not out of anger and hurt (though he certainly felt those) but with the intent to bruise feelings. It was also clear that he wanted nothing to do with the woman as on the last word he began to turn away. "Sorry, Ad, I may have to take a rain check on that tour after all. I'll try to come for dinner another time."

Kaden could hardly ask what he had wanted to now.

• Love
As the line grew longer and longer, more people became restless and agitated, the regular guard having to break up a few scuffles that interrupted the neatness of the line. The sun filtered dimly into the tent through the fabric and cloud of dust that wandered in from all of the movement outside. More families came looking for their children, more tears soaked into the dirt floor of the tent. It wasn't until the guards were shooing away the remaining crowd and Trevean was packing up the record-keeping supplies given to him that a woman forced her way in, clutching what looked like a piece of pottery in her hand. She slammed it down on the table, grey tendrils of hair clinging to her weather-ravaged face.
"I took off part of the bitch's face," she panted, turning over the pottery shard. On it was an eye, roving wildly and crudely painted in the same reddish-brown clay child Shola had used in her dreamspace.
"She has my granddaughter," the woman said, her voice thickly accented not unlike Ya-ya's. "I tore off her face, but she got away. One from the village."

Nadia tilted her head as she watched Kaden speak to Ruwa, flinching a little at the words. She'd been on the receiving end of words like those a few times, and felt a little sympathy for Ruwa. However, she hadn't missed the part about Ruwa cheating on him or generally being a pain in the ass to him. As Ruwa's needling continued, Nadia finally quit grinding her teeth together and stepped in front of Ruwa.
"Hey, how about you quit being a bitch to my friend? He's saving the world, what are you doing that's useful, huh?"

• Love
Lilith's eyes crossed in front of her as she watched her nose become significantly less broken, letting out not much more than a small yelp upon initial contact. Once finished she twitched it from side to side and nodded in appreciation to Lisle.

"Um.. thanks." she said, lifting an eyebrow as the other girl bit into her apple.

"Lisle, don't you need to go see your Other today? I heard she wasn't feeling well."

Lilith watched quietly as the girl got up and stared into the sun for a few moments before leaving, making a mental note to find this girl later and get to know her despite her oddness. Arlas interrupted her thoughts by offering her a loaner bow and the Daalai girl accepted, twitching her nose once more before readying herself at the beginning of the course once again. At Arlas's mark she began, sending arrows flying into the bullseyes of the first few targets just as she had done the last time. The dreaded bale of hay from her last run caught the tip of Lilith's toe as she jumped, sneding her for the ground again. This time she caught herself on her forearms, somersaulting forward and back on to her feet by the end of the course.

Out of breath, she looked back to Arlas for his judgement.

________________________________________________________________________________________

"And what right have you to expect a letter? When I said we were done, Ruwa, I meant it. Kaden's voice was hard and firm, cold almost.
"Go crawl back to Tendaji's bed. That is your usual refuge in my absence is it not?"

The only thing that Kaden's words fetched was a pout on Ruwa's face.

"Oh Kay, my dear, I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I could have sworn we had parted on good terms. You know that I still adore you. And why would you ever put off a tour and dinner with one of Daalai's finest? I would love to join you.. Perhaps we could even get some time alone after dinner?" Ruwa smirked, tracing a finger along Kaden's arm.

"Hey, how about you quit being a bitch to my friend? He's saving the world, what are you doing that's useful, huh?"

As Nadia stepped in front of Kaden, Ruwa immediately stopped all movement except for her eyes. Slowly they moved to rest on the farm girl, and with an immediate look if disgust, the Daalai woman snatched her hand back as if terrified that Nadia might touch her.

"And who is this? Kaden, did you know that you were being followed by a tiny little mouse? How disgusting. Shew, Shew little mouse. You'll find nothing to forage on here."

• Love
"And who is this? Kaden, did you know that you were being followed by a tiny little mouse? How disgusting. Shew, Shew little mouse. You'll find nothing to forage on here."

The grinding of Nadia's teeth was both audible and palpable as Ruwa spoke. The last thing Nadia was in the mood for was for someone to make fun of her for being small and to imply she had to scrape and scrabble for food. Nadia balled up her fists and glared at Ruwa.

"You don't get to be a bitch to me, Ruwa. I'm not going to take your shit, like these people apparently do. If you want to talk shit, you'd better be able to back it up."

"Good work, keep going!" Arlas called, grinning at Lilith. "The rest of the course isn't going to run itself!"

Once she had finished he took the bow back from her and patted her on the shoulder, offering her a seat on one of the crates among the others.
"Good work, Lilith. You've got immense natural talent to be refined. We'd be glad to have you."

• Love
Reactions: Kura and Falcon
"You don't get to be a bitch to me, Ruwa. I'm not going to take your shit, like these people apparently do. If you want to talk shit, you'd better be able to back it up."

Ruwa stared silently at Nadia for a moment, a slight nose twitch barely visible on her face. She all but slithered over to Nadia, using the very slight difference in their height to seem as if she was towering over her.

"Look, you little piece of farm trash, I'm trying to do you a favor here. If you recall, Kaden and I are a part of a warrior race. I wouldn't go throwing around threats and orders if I were you. You're just as much of a stranger in this land as we are."

"Good work, Lilith. You've got immense natural talent to be refined. We'd be glad to have you."

Unable to hide her pride, Lilith grinned and nodded before taking a seat on the crate.

• Love
As Ruwa approached, Nadia straightened her back more, shifting her weight a little as Ruwa towered over her. There was no denying that Nadia was much shorter and obviously physically weaker than Ruwa, but her tiny body vibrated with anger.

"I don't care that you're a 'warrior' people; you're acting like a coward, throwing insults when you think no one will challenge you. I might be a stranger here too, but at least I'm not running around making fun of people. And you're not going to intimidate me because you're tall. I'm not afraid of you, and I'm not going to put up with your bullshit. You should apologize. Now."

• Love