Royal Pain

Underdog, #2B3856
With every step they took back to the castle, Vale's footsteps had felt heavier and heavier, weighing him down as if he were dragging a heavy metal ball by a chain around his ankels much like a prisoner. He already longed to return to the comforts of the Inn, where they could be in each others' arms without a care, to share their love for the other and continue on in bliss. But that awas not their future, nor will it ever will be. Perhaps if they were very lucky, they might have chances to sneak away again, but that would be very rare. What they did was a chance in a life time.

So as it was, they were once again within Audrey's bedroom, the only place where Vale didn't feel like he was suffocating. He felt like a prisoner inside this castle, working day in and day out, whipped an beaten whenever he screwed up or disobeyed. He was a pretty rebellious slave. When she began to change behind the screen, Vale had turned away to give her some privacy, even though he had seen it all already. Still, it was out of respect and mannerism. The nobles may think he was a filthy and disgusting creature, but he knew how to behave just like the lot of them, and he didn't need to fake it.

Once again it dawned to him that life will go back to the way it was, his class trapped in the web of society, a slave nothing more than a slave to his princess. It didn't matter if she loved him, or that he loved her, it could never be. They could never show any signs of love or affection, for it was ultimate treason towards the slave to try to soil his princess so, no matter how much the princess would try to explain. It didn't matter. They were too different, their classes too far apart, her on her high pedastal and him lost in the dirt below. He will always be looking up, reaching, while she could only stare down at him. It was the way of life for the nobles and their slaves.

When Audrey returned to her bed he walked over beside it, picking up the pillow that had served as her dummy and added it to the collection of mountain of pillows behind her. Why nobles thought she should have so many, he would never understand. He was surprised that her back wasn't messed up for having to sleep at such an odd angle. His own back was stiff and hard, doubting that anyone could ever push him over now unless they happened to be a very very big fellow. His bed a simple cot only a few inches off the ground, and he had no pillow but he did have a blanket. A thin leather blanket made of cow-hide, and it didn't even reach his feet. He spent many nights with cold feet, but he was just grateful that he got a blanket at all.

His eyes were drawn to Audrey when he heard the soft sound of his name, and though it seemed like she wanted to say more, she simply reached a hand out to him. But her eyes said it all, and he smiled down at her in understanding, his eyes glowing in happiness from their time together lastnight. Despite the fact that they have reentered into their old lives. The very fact that it happened was plenty for him to be happy about, and he was glad that it did. He reached his hand forward, gently taking her hand in his and held it tightly, his thumb running over her soft skin.

"I'll love to m'lady." He said softly, lifting her hand to his lips to gently kiss her knuckles, before placing her hand over her chest.

He walked away from her bed and made his way to the bathroom, kneeling in front of the tub and began to scoop fresh coals into the small pit cut into the ground just beneath it. Once he was done he began filling the tub with water from a nearby pump, having to crank it constantly in order to keep water flowing into the tub. Once it was filled he knelt back down by the coals, heating them up so that they could warm up the water. He didn't want to start a too big a fire, otherwise the water would become too hot, so he just needing the coals red and hot without starting a fire.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
A maid came in at the sudden amount of noise from Audrey's room to help her undress and bathe. She sat in the large copper tub, heated just enough to remove the outer cold from her skin. If the maid had any sense, she might have noticed the goosebumps along her arms and the smell of rain in her hair, but she didn't. The girl was young and so eager to help her Lady bathe.

Audrey sank beneath the water until her nose blew gently against the surface, making crude waves in the warm water. The maid behind her started to pull locks of hair out from behind her, washing them with a practiced smile on her face. All the servants were like that. Not a one liked to scrub the dirt and dust from their nobles' bodies, but they did so anyways with a skill unmatched by another hand. They worked their jobs, day in day out and never uttered a word of complaint.

"You have such beautiful hair, my lady." The maid forced a compliment, and Audrey wanted to suffocate beneath the waves, it was so false sounding.

"Good maid..." Audrey pulled her mouth from under the water and turned to face the young girl.

She had ash blond hair, and sparkling green eyes that would have made the King a jealous man. Her hands, wet from the bath water, were calloused and otherwise dry looking. Cracks coated the surface of her skin from cleaning, scrubbing, and aching after the nobles' whims and desires. She smiled awkwardly at Audrey, probably never having been dressed before in her life. It certainly showed on her face, her confusion, wrinkling her pretty little nose.

"What's your name?" Audrey asked.

"Helena." She responded, "After your mother. My parents were ever grateful for her kindness."

"Helena, would you like to take the day off? I can bathe myself, and I'm sure you have something you'd like to do." Audrey lowered her eyes. Everyone in the lower caste had someone waiting for them at home, that much she knew. Home usually being a ramshackle building with a few amenities needed to live, a hearth, and some kind of bed. Whether it was a starving child or a mother in need of nursing herself. The slaves were a poor people, and they had better things to do than to wait on the needs of the rich. Audrey certainly didn't need her.

"It is my duty to serve you, my lady." Helena gasped with surprise. "I do appreciate-"

"Helena. Have a lovely day off." Audrey picked up her tired hands and kissed the tips. "I can bathe myself. Do not worry."

So she left. Audrey was left to her thoughts alone in the tub to soak and wither away. It wouldn't be long before someone came to check up on her and she'd return to her cheery noble self, back to the deprecating views of the upper class to keep face with Benjamin or her father. Back to that life once more. The tub was the last ditch effort at reliving those last few moments at the inn. She sighed. If only life were that simple.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
It was back to business as usual. Now in the confinements of the castle, Vale was forced to resort back to his slave duties, now nothing more than dirt in the eyes of the nobles. He remained in Audrey's room, however, going around and cleaning up whatever mess was left. She was still under his care since she was 'sick', so all other duties would be put aside or given to another slave for the time being, since only he was caring and brave enough to be near her. He didn't mind performing manual labor for her though, one of the many reasons being was that she didn't work him ragged as if he was some super being that couldn't tire, as all the nobles seem to think he was. To them the working class had no feelings or exhaustion apparently, so had to work work work work constantly, with hardly any breaks.

He had put his coat away back in the closet as well. He didn't want to leave it out in the open and make it obvious that it was used, for that would raise unwanted questions, like why it was wet in the first place when Audrey had been 'resting' this whole time. So he kept it out of sight and waited patiently for Audrey to finish her bath. He glanced over to the bathroom to see the maid suddenly leave, seeing a bright smile on her face as she hurried away. He smiled, already guessing that Audrey had given the girl the day off. She really was different and more kind than the other nobles. He hoped that the maid will have a wonderful day off and be happy with whoever she was seeing.

The Nobleman, #29062e
The door to Audrey's bedroom suddenly slammed open, the elegant and highly form of Benjamin walking right in as if he owned the place, though to Vale his form seemed more like a stiff statue or a tin man that hadn't been oiled. "Audrey? Audrey!" His gray eyes scanned the room for her, but they landed on Vale instead. "You! Where is Lady Audrey? I must speak with her."

Vale clenched his jaw, but he forced himself to stop what he was doing and stood up straight, facing Benjamin but kept his eyes low and his arms behind his back. "She is taking her bath, Sir." He answered in an even voice, keeping the hard edge out of his tone.

Benjamin's face cringed up in annoyance and he waved his hand, as if he just smacked Vale's words right out of the air. "What a nuisance. She sleeps all through the day and night, then just as I come in to try to speak to her, she takes her sweet time in the bath. Well I've waited long enough." He began making his way to the bathroom.

Vale couldn't believe his eyes, and his body moved before he could stop himself, and before he knew it he was right in Benjamin's path. Blocking his way. He could see the stunment in the man's eyes, probably reflecing his own, and time seemed to freeze between them. Then he began to to see anger seep through his eyes, his whole body tensing as he looked down at the slave before him, his jaw clenching tight. Vale glanced at his hands, seeing them clench and unclench. He had to think fast, before this got really ugly.

"M-my apologize Sir, please forgive me." He said quickly, the words tasting foul in his mouth. "But she's really sick. She only wishes to wash away the filth from last night's sickness, so that she may be more presentable to your eyes and the eyes of her peers. Please, give her some time and she will be out of her bath and ready to speak to you."

Benjamin was far from pleased. To be blockaded by this slave was inexcusable, his filth unworthy to stand in the path of the royal blood, his kind a disease to their air. Benjamin refused to be near him and breath in his filthy air, his nose squinting up in disgust while his eyes were filled with the anger of being disrespected so, and forced to look at this poor excuse of a human being. No, less than a human being. He wasn't going to be stopped from seeing his fiance, especially not from the likes of a lowly slave.

"I don't care if you are following your mistress's orders or not," he spoke, pratcially spitting anger, "but you will step aside. She is my fiancee, I can see her if she is decent or not, she'll just have to get used to it. I'll not have a filthy and disgusting slave stand in my way, so move aside this very instant!"

Oh how Vale would have enjoyed telling this stuck up brat what Audrey really thought of him. How he would not have her hand in marriage and lose her, denied the rights of her family heritage and bloodline. Any other slave wouldn't have hesitated and move right out of the way, their head low in fear of a beating for having commited such an unthinkable act in the first place. A slave would have to be out of their right mind to stay put and deny a noble, no matter who they might be, but especially to one so highly as Benjamin Taylor.

Unfortunally Vale wasn't in his right mind, or maybe he was, and it was for that reason that he stood his ground. His body unwavered by the glare cast at him by Benjamin, a man who could have his head under the guillotine with a single word and command, but at the moment it didn't matter to him. He refused to have Audrey so disrespected and have her privacy tarnished by such a man, and also, lets face it. Vale wanted no other eyes on her, not after having such a personal and heated experience with her lastnight. He wanted to be the only one, the only one allowed such intimacy and only one allowed to look at her that way.

"I follow only Audrey's orders." He answered Benjamin, a defying tone in his voice as he lifted his gaze to look at Benjamin. "Not your's. Sir." He hissed out the last word.

It was like the air around them had suddenly ceased, as if the world around them stopped breathing, watching to see what would happen next. Benjamin was staring at Vale, at first shocked that he had been defied so easily by a slave, then his body began to tremble with anger. He looked ready to kill Vale, but the slave still refused to move, looking at Benjamin with those defying eyes. Benjamin couldn't believe this. He didn't know what Audrey did with her slaves, but they were poorly taught, for it was inexcusable for a slave to disobey their masters. His hands were clenched so tightly that his knuckles turned white, his gray eyes like storm clouds ready to unleash their fury, and it almost seemed like actual lightning would shoot out of his eyes and right at Vale.

The only reason that kept Vale from being hit was because of the fear and uncertainty Benjamin had. Seeing Vale's cool and hard gaze, he wasn't sure if this slave might actually have the nerve to strike back if it came to blows, but he wouldn't dare. Would he? It was one thing to defy a noble, but to attack one was instant death. He didn't believe that Vale would be so bold, but by the way he was looking at Benjamin, the guy looked ready to take his own sword and slice him down. Benjamin wasn't much of a fighter when it came to physical blows, and looking over Vale's size, it seemed pretty clear who the winner would be if it did. But Benjamin was good with a sword, and he was positive he could easily cut Vale down if the nuisance so much as stepped towards him.

He moved his hand to the hilt of his sword now, gaining his confidence back as his lips peeled back in a cold and gruesom smirk. "What was that you said, my dear friend? I'd think twice now before I answer, for the next words out of your mouth could very well be your last."[/feildset]

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Sitting in the calm, now lukewarm, water of the copper tub Audrey felt another wave of sleep coming on. It wouldn't have been the strangest place she fell asleep, and certainly not the first time in the tub. Her life didn't warrant very many exciting places to be. At least when she was alone inside her quarters it was peaceful. Her knees poked out of the blue and sent small quiet ripples around the tub. Her nose dipped closer towards the water and her hair floated in a mass around her. Slowly, her eyes were drifting.

"Audrey? Audrey!" A voice called. "You! Where is Lady Audrey? I must speak with her."

The voice was that of her recently betrothed, Benjamin, there was no mistaking the whine of his voice. She could almost see his nose upturned at the sight of Vale, stuck back inside the room alone. Why hadn't he left? Audrey had taken her leave to bathe, he was free to leave as well.

There was a quiet murmur from beyond the door she could assume to be Vale and Benjamin speaking. That wouldn't go well, Audrey knew it. Benjamin was cruel and hated to see the specks of dust left as remnants to the slaves, and Vale hated the lot of the nobles just as bad, Audrey excluded of course. Whatever happened she needed to separate them before anything got too heated. It already sounded like they were at each other's throats, tempers and voices rose beyond the door which separated the bath from her bed.

Audrey scrambled out of the tub, sending water everywhere as she ducked around to find something to wear. She didn't normally dress in the bathroom, all of her clothes were beyond the screen just outside. Dashing out naked in front of two men seemed in bad taste. She found a silken robe hanging lazily off a chair close to the back of the room. It was thin, but it would do. One man was supposed to be her fiance, and the other her lover. If one of them had any issue with her scantily covered body, she'd have words back for them.

She threw open the door and was surprised to see Vale standing there like a watch dog. His arms covered the door, now her, but she didn't make him budge. It was one more thing hiding her from Benjamin.

"Darling, why are you so upset?" Audrey cooed from behind Vale's arms. "I would ask you to wait while I dress myself in something more proper."

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
The presence of Audrey had ceased both mans' anger, withdrawing their attention from the other, but it wasn't clear for how long that would last. Vale had kept his gaze on Benjamin while the prince moved his eyes over to Audrey, but was caught off guard by her appearance, a weakness to the male mind. Her robe did little to hide her slender and tempting frame, but it was enough to hide the bare skin beneath, which only seemed to increase the temptation. Benjamin's words caught in his throat for a moment, though he quickly snapped himself out of it and regained his composure, resuming to his stuck up nose and curled lips in distaste. His hand was still on the hilt of his sword, but he had relaxed hid hold on it, simply tapping his fingers along the jeweled hilt.

"I would not be so upset if your dog was properly trained." He snapped, not bothering to look in Vale's direction to risk another eyesore, his eyes having already taken in enough of his filth. "You should teach him his proper place, or I will have to do it myself."

He looked to Vale once more, his eyes looking him over nd shivered, looking as if he was going to be sick as he grimaced before looking back to Audrey. "I came because I wanted to speak to you, till this mongrel got in the way. Your father wishes to speak to us about the wedding arrangements, we may be having a wedding rehersal soon. If you are feeling better and can walk, then get dressed. You are to come with me to your father so that we can discuss our wedding plans."

Underdog, #2B3856
Vale's anger had melted away the instant Audrey was there, feeling her presence behind him like a calming light breaking through a rolling storm, calming it before it could even start. The bastard almost charged right into her bathroom, not giving a care if she was decent or not, though of course he wouldn't respect that. Vale knew what he was after, and he wasn't going to let him have it, not in his life time. Even now he made sure that his body kept Audrey blocked from Benjamin's view, knowing that she wouldn't have much of decent clothing on, though he kept his body facing Benjamin. Not turning to look at Audrey as she spoke.

He clenched his jaw at Benjamin's words, but for Audrey's sake, he swallowed his own words to snap back at the snotty noble. He swallowed and lowered his gaze once again, folding his hands behind his back. "Forgive me mistress. I was only doing my duty and thought you would want some time to yourself and have the privacy. It is unfitting for anyone to intrude upon a lady like that while taking her bath, and I did not believe the situation was so urgent enough that you had to be interrupted."

He could feel Benjamin's angry gaze on him again, but he ignored it. He was right after all, Benjamin could have waited till Audrey was done, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Again, he knew the real reason why he wanted to barge in. He was a despicable man, and the desire to laugh in his face was great, for Vale knew that the reason Benjamin came in was now useless. Audrey will not marry him, and she planned to talk to her father right away, so that this fantasy Benjamin had would finally be over. Vale was tired of him, his muscles always tensing up like a spring ready to be set loose, his fists aching to make contact with his face or another vital area on his body.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Audrey pursed her lips, presumably with frustration with the slave, but it was out of pity and apology she truly did so. She stepped out from behind Vale and with her back turned his way, she leaned up to plant a soft kiss on Benjamin's cheek. She felt dirty with the action, he was so undeserving of her affection, but if she didn't act the perfect part, her world would come crashing down. Vale was nothing more than a pawn in a game of chess, and she the Queen. They never played in tandem.

"I will speak to him in due time, I promise you that." Audrey placed a hand against his face, but quickly recoiled once she realized it was still wet. "I am indeed well enough to stand, but please, give me time to dress myself properly. I've sent my maids away for fear of becoming more ill." The blatant lie she whispered physically hurt to say, especially with Vale so close.

He knows though, he knows I don't mean it.

She pulled away from her fiance and returned to the safety of the wooden screen. That meant leaving the two boys to simmer down, or rather tense up in the others presence. If they couldn't act like gentleman around each other there really wasn't a thing she could do without spoiling her chances at love. She tried to prolong her leaving by dragging out every action. With delicate hands she picked out a pale blue dress made of a thin spun silk. It was something light enough to breathe, and conservative enough for a wedding rehearsal if push came to shove. There was no intricacy to the gown, truly just a pale blue slab which extended off the high cut neckline.

"Boy?" Audrey called. "I need help with the ties, You do know how to tie the back of a dress, correct?"

Of course he does. Vale knows how to, I just don't want to spout these lies any longer.

"I do not want my Lord fiance to have to work with something so trivial."

Just one more time, I always say one more time, I want you near me.

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
To have his wife-to-be behave so appropiately towards him quickly simmered down his anger, and Benjamin stood up straighter with pride as he fixed his judging eyes down at her, obviously pleased. In some ways it was very easy to please him, though it was not so easy for some others, forced to kiss up to him because of his rank. Of course he always took advantage of this, never told no and never talked back to, unless someone wanted to loose their head. When Audrey had touched his face with her wet hand he cringed a bit from the sudden cold that soaked into his skin, though she had quickly withdrew her hand before leaving any more damage to his skin. Smart girl. He gave her a look in displeasure, though he said nothing, allowing her slight mishap to slide. He suppose he could give her his forgiveness, since she had suffered an illness and her mind must not be in the right place, recovering still from yesterday.

While she moved behind her screen he lifted a hand and pulled a handkerchief from his sleeve, lifting the soft frabric to his wet cheek and lightly dabbed it over his skin, ridding himself of the wet drops. "Good, we're all very eager to get started. As soon as you are ready, then we can go speak to him."

He tucked the handkerchief back into his sleeve, turning away from the screen this time to get a better look around her room, taking slow steps as his eyes roamed the area around him. Being a female's chambers, it didn't quite catch his tastes, though he was curious as to how his fiancee lived. The sheets of her bed were of fine wool and silk, and there was a mountain of pillows resting at the head of the bed, so many that he couldn't help thinking that she might possibly suffocate one night if they suddenly collapsed on top of her. Why did she have so many pillows? They were sure concerned of her not straining her neck while sleeping. He saw velvet sheets hanging from the bars of her bed, making curtains around it so that she may have privacy in her sleep, hidden away from the world outside should she ever close them.

He stepped away from the bed, walking over to her table with a mirror, all her perfumes and make up set up orderly among the surface, all in their rightful place. Though it was probably done by the mades. He picked a few things up, seeing what she used, though he didn't understand them much. Being a noble, he of course would use some make up as well to keep himself well groomed in front of the eyes of his peers, but never so much as women. He set the bottle down, looking over her decorative walls and anything else his eyes set upon. Hearing Audrey's request, he grimaced at the thought of having to help a woman do such a thing, so was pleased to hear that he wouldn't be troubled with it.

He waved a hand at Vale. "Why are you just standing there? Go on, help the lady out, unless it's too difficult for you." But he never looked his ways, not wanting to trouble his eyes any longer.

Underdog, #2B3856
Vale remained where he was the entire time, keeping his head low but he lifted it enough to keep his eyes on Benjamin, hating that he walked around Audrey's room as if he owned the place. The brute probably believed that he owned any place he went to. Vale took no offense to any of the things Audrey said or did, her soft words and kiss to Benjamin's cheeks unfazing him, knowing that it was all only an act. She had to play the part, to keep things calm around her and in her control, because once she slipped then she would lose it. He didn't allow himself to feel jealously or anger, for it would be pointed at nothing, only at a ruse. So there was no point to letting those emotions take ahold of him, because he knew that he had Audrey's heart, and that only he will ever recieve truth from her. There would be no false actions towards him from her, never a lie or a deciet, so he could endure her actions towards Benjamin. Besides, it was her that suffered the most from such actions, not him.

Vale lifted his head at being called 'boy', and he'd be lying if he said that didn't hurt him, just a little bit. Especially coming from Audrey. But he knew that she didn't mean it, she was only playing her role, as he should as well. If there was any hint of kindness towards him, any sign that she was treating him far different than any other slave or maid, then suspicion would start to rise. Upon suspicion would come accusations, and accusations will come to find the truth, and the truth will bring his death. Vale cast a glare towards Benjamin from his slight command, though the nosey noble was turned away from him, so he luckily didn't see it. Vale didn't need to be told twice to help Audrey in a dress.

Vale made his way over to the screen, walking around it to see Audrey's back faced towards him, the slight slit in the back of her dress revealing the bare skin beneath. The laces hung uselessly from the waistline of her gown, out of the mistress's reach, and her eyes blinded to the loops where the laces were to snake through and complete her dress. Vale took the moment to let his eyes linger on her back, staring hard so that she could feel him there, unable to move away. His eyes trailed up the length of her spine, pausing just between her shoulders, tracing the curves of her shoulderblades before moving back down her spine. There her skin disappeared by the thin frabric of her dress, hiding her from his eyes, though would crave to see.

He took slow steps towards her, keeping her eyes on her back, and was supposed to stop outside her personal bubble. It was the rule with every slave and maid, to keep their distance so that their filth and ugly air will stay away from the purity of the nobles, but there was no such thing between Vale and Audrey. He stepped up right behind her, his body mere inches from her's, but there was a tense and electric feel in the air between them. Like some magnetic force that urged him to complete the gap, to pull her to him, but he resisted. The screen hid them from view, so Vale grew bold, moving his hand delicately along the bare shoulder revealed beneath Audrey's dress, so that he could gently brush her lengthly hair away from her back, sliding it over her other shoulder and out of the way. All the while his fingers had brushed over her bare skin of her back, just a light touch, then it was over.

His breath was on her neck, and suddenly, it was like the roles had switched. His presence was no longer the role of the lowly slave forced to do what he was told, but a dominant and hungry male, suddenly appearing much bigger than Audrey. No matter where they were, what they were doing, Vale desired her. He took her laces and began to slowly move them through the loops, taking his precious time, wanting this moment to last as long as it could. Although he wanted more than anything to slide his hands over her bare shoulders, sliding off the torso of her dress. His lips burned to press against the bare skin revealed to him, tracing them along her body while his hands explored the front of her, touching her soft and tender flesh with his rough pads of hands. To pull her body fully to him, taking his time to taste and feel her body, and to slowly undress her from the dress entirely, then take her once more.

But of course no such things could happen, especially with her fiancee right in the room, for then there would be no doubt at all that they would be caught. Unless her husband-to-be really was that dense, but Vale doubted he could be that dull, even if he was tempted to test that out. Still, he took joy in the fact that he was touching Audrey with her fiancee right in the room, basically right under the noble's stuck up nose and he couldn't see it. Perhaps because he always had his nose up so high, so everything that happened just beneath it would go unseen. He couldn't help smirking to himself at that thought, trying to distract himself from what he really wanted to do, resisting it all and focused on his work. He only had a few more loops left.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Audrey's thoughts were in the same mindset as Vale's. Behind her closed eyelids, he was there, unraveling the ties of her dress with his beat up hands, drawing them down further along her delicate skin until his breath was near her neck. She'd sigh, out of bliss no less, and Vale might take hold of her with those hands of his. Well worked, calloused, and hardened with age. She loved his hands, she'd been raised to the touch of them, and only now realized the long term familiarity had blossomed into want and need. All she needed to do was turn to face him, let him ravish her, and she would have done it without a second thought had it not been for Benjamin's presence.

She did sigh, quietly so Benjamin might not hear her bliss. Audrey leaned back against his hands despite how deftly they worked at tying her up. Benjamin could assume it took forever to lace one into a dress, and they could have each other for one second more if she wanted. She'd find an excuse to blather on about before the posh Lord could discover her antics behind the screen.

"Thank you." Audrey whispered against his skin. Her head rested comfortably in the crook of his neck, lips extended upwards towards the base of his jawline just near his ear. She kissed the spot, shivering out of lust alone. "Boy."

Only in her dreams would Vale be able to hold her in such a way again. The odds that they might find each other's comfort in the meantime was slim. There were too many factors out of their control, and again Audrey felt her world crashing down. If her father said no, that was the end of it. If the Taylors said no, that was the end of it. Audrey prayed and dreamed that her father would say yes. Perhaps somewhere out in the world there really was a tree, and they'd find shelter in its shade, far from the upper class of the nobles and their silly marriage games.

That's all it would be to her father, a game. Love was lost when he lost his love. Helen. She was the light of his life, the only love he'd been fortunate enough to know. Had it not been for Helen, Audrey would have been a passing thought as her father brought home mistresses in place of a wife. Vale would be free to take her if she'd been born a bastard, but she'd been born a noble and for some reason that was more unfortunate. Born into wealth, coin, where servants waited on her every whim, she hated the life. Maybe it would have been better had she instead been born to scrub floors.

"It's you I love." Audrey whispered. "Never forget that."

She stepped away from the temptation and right up to Benjamin. Her hands rested on his chest, and she couldn't help but notice his eyes. They stripped the room bare for anything deemed unfair for his Lady, and she didn't like the way he scrutinized her so. There'd be no dust after he was done just looking, his gaze rid the specks of dirt from his sight.

"I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, shall we go?"

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale shivered at her soft whispers and her smooth lips, feeling them so close to his ear, becoming eager to hear more. His lips peeled back in an excited smirk at the small nickname, becoming slightly more aroused only because he wanted to show her just how understating the nickname was, and he could easily show her that he was far from being a 'boy'. He turned his head to her, his lips so close to her's, but he knew that once they connected then there would be no stopping them. Instead he moved his lips to her chin, kissing the slight curve under her bottom lip and above her chin, then allowed his lips to brush down to her jawline. He craved to do more to her, but the chains that binded him to his rank held him back, and he struggled with them with frustration. It drove him mad, unable to touch her and do with her what he wanted, wanting so desperately to be allowed to kiss and touch her whenever he wanted.

"And I you." He whispered to her, his lips moving to hover just above her's. He tightened her laces once they were tied, pulling away from her before the could commit such a heinous act, reluctantly letting her go.

He watched her move away from him and walk out from behind the screen, his heart sinking and body left in great disappointment, already missing having her so close. Like her, he always wanted her near him, to feel her warmth pressed against his. Every touch of her skin against his, every delicate kiss, every whisper and sigh like embers added to a fire. He slowly began to walk out from behind the screen, stopping at a distance and stood there, awaiting 'orders'. It was now back to playing his role now that they were exposed to the eyes of the judgemental, who was clearly once again enjoying the presence of his 'lady', who seemed so eager to please. Of course only Vale could see through such an act, for it seemed that even though he was only a slave, he was also the only one with any sense around here.

The Nobleman, #29062e
Benjamin was starting to grow impatient. Just how long did it take to tie the laces of a dress? Surely not this long? Though he had never done it before, so perhaps it took some time to complete the dress, in which case it would take Audrey forever to be ready. He sighed tiredly, growing bored of examining her room and finding anything wrong with it, just about ready to go behind that screen and do it himself. Or at least kick the slave to make it go faster. However there was no need, for he saw Audrey come out, now fully decent and dressed. He stood still as she walked over to him, her hands on his chest and looking up at him with those eyes he loved, a look of admiration. Of course he had no idea how false those eyes were.

"Yes, right away." He said, taking her arm in his. "Your dog can come as well, so long he behaves." He looked towards Vale's way, a look of warning in his eyes, before he lead Audrey out of the room.

Vale followed a ways behind, giving the nobles their space, which Benjamin liked. He didn't want Vale to leave trails of dirt in their wake, or accidently get any on him. He rambled on about what he wouldn't tolerate for their wedding, making it perfectly clear on what they should have or shouldn't have, leading her down the hallway all the while. He was allergic to bird dandray, so he wanted no doves, as what was custom to most noble weddings. The only acception of wine was the kind made from the thick fat grapes, with a slight taste of cranberry, and he wanted the wedding either in a shaded area or at a certain time in the day where the sun wouldn't get in his eyes. For the food he wanted the fattest chicken with gravy, to keep the meat moist instead of dry. It was to be cut and free from bone, he didn't want him or his family swallowing any bones. Carrots were to be cut in slices, and slices of other veggies as well.

He could see the way the servant behind them rolled his eyes, or how he lifted his hand and had his thumb connect with his middle finger to mock the way the noble spoke, while he mouthed the words 'blah blah blah.' Had Benjamin looked then he could of caught Vale also making his hand into a gun, pointing his finger to his head, then cocked it back as if he shot it. He hung his head while sticking his tongue out like he had shot his brains out. All of this was hidden from Benjamin's sight, too concerned with his own selfish needs to pay attention to anything else, especially what Audrey might have wanted for a weddeing. He finally went silent, however, once they reached the door to her father's study. He opened it and walked in, not bothering to wait for the slave, who had to quickly lift his hands and catch the door before it slammed in him the face.

He bowed his head to the Lord, keeping Audrey by his side. "My Lord, I have brought your daughter and my fiancee as you requested."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Thank you Lord Taylor." The humble response came from Audrey's father, Lord Anton Audoire, brother to the King.

Although not an elder by some years, Anton's once thick hair had thinned considerably in the days since his wife's passing. He had once been handsome, with thick red locks even the women were jealous of. The only specks of the color were left in his grizzled beard, trimmed to be short enough to cover the slightness of his face. Anton turned away from the window and sighed upon the entrance of the young Lord. He didn't much like Benjamin, but he understood that sacrifices needed to be made if his family was to stay afloat. The Taylors had money, the Audoire's had power. At least this way his daughter would be happy.

At least, that was his understanding. Happiness came from the wealth of others, and so long as Audrey remained in the upper classes, she would still smile in the same childish manner as before her mother died. Not since had he seen her colors shine through, not a single moment. It was all so forced, but he didn't have the heart to ask the reason behind her pain.

He was old, and far too tired to deal with the squabbling of Benjamin Taylor, as he blabbed on about cakes and carrots, even if he was engaged to his eldest child. Also in the room was Audrey's younger brother, who'd she'd scarce seen for a few days now. He was covered in mud which seemed to hold a story on it's own, but he was ushered from the room by a handful of servants keen on scrubbing him down. Audrey raised a thin brow in question that her father was too exhausted to see.

"We may speak now, if you both have the time. Audrey, it is good to see you in decent health once more. Your cheeks are flushed though." Anton sighed. He stepped forward to embrace his daughter in a halfhearted hold before kissing her hand softly. "Are you sure you're well rested?"

"I'm fine." Audrey lied, showing off that telltale smile of hers, a lie to those who knew her.

Anton pressed his lips in a hard line, but nevertheless persisted onto the discussion he had called the pair in for. He paid no mind to Vale in the back of the room, more like a shadow than a natural human being. The whole time Audrey sat pretty and listened do the details of the wedding. She said little, Benjamin guided the conversation to suit his every need, although Anton would not back away from having doves. They were a traditional part of the weddings of nobility, and allergies or not, they would be there. Audrey did ask for one thing though, and quietly, she tried to put her request into place.

"The garden, father..." She started awkwardly. "Perhaps, we could have the wedding outside? Where you and mother were married."

Her eyes darted to the floor and back up to Benjamin, somewhere in the middle she'd caught a glimpse of Vale. This must have been hard on him, to listen to the nit picky details of a wedding for his one and only love. Later, she promised, she would talk to her father later about not wanting to go through with it.

"I would very much like that, father."

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
The Lord Taylor was clearly upset about the doves, but the matter was settled, forced to hold back any further complaints he may have on the matter. If he broke out during the wedding and humiliated himself in front of both families, then it will be on Lord Anton, having him to explain to Benjamin's father why his son broke out into a horribly ugly rash. Nevertheless, he accepted and remained silent, at least pleased to have most of his other demands met. The old Lord sitting before him has grown tired and dull, that much was clear just by looking at him, ever since his wife-Helen was it?-died. He wasn't very fit to take charge anymore, his thoughts lost in their own faraway world, while his body and soul grew too tired to deal with trivial matters. How sad it would be if he were to become king, should anything happen to his brother, though Taylor could already see it as a cold and drool world. This man was no longer fit to lead.

Upon hearing his fiancee's request, he looked ghastly at her as if she had sprouted a second head. "Are you mad? Do you want everyone to be sneezing their brains out and spreading their germs on the entire two families? They will all be too busy scratching at their eyes than paying attention to us, and eager to get out of there before our vows even finish. My uncle is especially allergic to the tulips, he'll be sneezing for weeks! No, that just won't do."

To have his wife-to-be think of such an inconsiderate thing. Did she even put his health into consideration? Was she so dense that she believed no germs in the world existed whatsoever, so was eager to trap them all in a pollinated area, believing they'd have no reaction to the flowers at all? Stupid girl. Of course he himself was so dense, his ego bigger than his mouth that he had no idea just how self absorbed and selfish he was being. The garden had been the only suggestion Audrey was able to make through the whole conversation, while Benjamin had been the one making all the suggestions and plans. It was only thanks to Audrey's father that even little of his input was put aside.

"No where with such killer flowers." Benjamin stated. "The garden is merely for show, no one ever goes there. They're as tainted as the slaves that run around at our feet."

Underdog, #2B3856
Vale kept his gaze down the entire time. He wanted no part of this, every word uttered like a slap to the face or a stab to the heart, and his blood was boiling with anger. Listening to Benjamin ramble on and on and on. The selfish bastard wasn't even letting Audrey have the one thing she asked for, and it wasn't much, just the setting for the wedding. But no, he was too concerned with his perfect nose to even attempt to making Audrey happy and respect her wishes, probably worried that everyone would see his mucus coming out of his nostrils when he stuck his nose up too high. Vale would give anything to be in Benjamin's position, and never would there be a 'no' to his Audrey, his only desire for her wishes to come true.

There would be a vast garden, bigger and better than ever, for Vale would plant even more plants himself. There would be beautiful arches of Audrey's favorite flower, the foxglove, hanging over the isle she would have to walk down to reach the altar. There would be a nice breeze in the air, making petals of all colors and sizes dance in the wind, raining upon the wedding like a blessing. The chairs for the family would be comfortable swing benches with pillows, one for every couple in the family, so they could swing away in delight and relaxation while Audrey and Vale would go over their vows, all of them surrounded with hedges of more flowers in every color and shape.

Vale wanted that more than anything. Audrey could have whatever she wanted, whatever she pleased, but not because she was of royal blood. It was the simple fact that he loved her, and his only desire would be for her happiness, to give her the wedding she would always dream of. Not ramble on like some snotty idiot who was too worried about allergies, or sunlight in the eyes, or even having feathers rain down on him and get a rash. No, that day he would be marrying the woman he loved, his whole life right there before him. Nothing else would matter. Vale wouldn't care if they had to get married in some back end of an alley in the lowest part of town. All that would matter would be the woman he would be betrothed to, and spend the rest of his life with, his eyes set only on her. Not the things around him.

And Benjamin was taking it for granted.

It all frustrated Vale so much. He wanted to grab a chair and beat it over Benjamin's head to knock some sense into him. He really hoped that Audrey would talk to her father soon... All this talk and planning was pointless if she didn't plan to marry this lowlife. Vale didn't want to hear anymore of his talk, grinding his teeth as his hands clenched tightly into fists behind his back, keeping himself under control and didn't dare allow himself to speak. It was one thing to cross the line in front of Benjamin, but it was another to do it in front of Audrey's father, for he could definitely have something done about it. Plus he wasn't the man he was upset with. Vale wished he could ask Lord Anton for his blessing in asking for Audrey's hand in marriage. But that was like Audrey asking her father if she could marry a pig. Or the mud the pig bathed itself in. Yes, it would be exactly like that. He was the lowly mud that served as the pig's bath.

So there he stood up against a wall, like the shadow he was, silent and unknown to the eyes who always stared down at the likes of him.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Lord Taylor, you'd best learn to listen when your wife to be speaks to you." Anton spoke quietly, but the message was clear.

Audrey saw it as a bit of hope, that perhaps it would change the tides of the conversation, but that was all her Lord father said before he rose to his feet. Her hope diminished some, and she wanted to say he was only tired of sitting down. However, he gestured for the pair to stand, and clasped his hands over Audrey's in a parting gesture common of Anton.

"The wedding will be outside, for that, I leave the rest to Lord Taylor." He grumbled. "I must see to your brother, Peter, he finds it amusing to play in the stables while I'm not looking. There are more pressing matters I must attend to, the wedding is a joyful affair and will be I assure you, both of you."

"But, father-" Audrey interjected.

"There's nothing to it. I apologize, I don't have more time for you, but truly, your brother is in a fit of trouble and I must see to it that I solve this problem first."

"I need to speak with you, father." Audrey pleaded. Her father clasped a weary hand on her shoulder before parting, his foot was halfway out the door when he responded.

"Later, my dear, not today though."

Moments passed in silence, but she swore she heard more of Benjamin's jabbering in her ear. Her father was just too busy to take the second to listen to her protests, and so the wedding plans went on. More of Benjamin's yapping, and less of what Audrey really wanted to say. Her world, the world she wanted to live in, had no place for cruel faces like Benjamin Taylor. It had room for love and kindness, and every low born slave she could find, there was room for it all there. To get there she'd have to speak up eventually, only now there was no opportunity.

She stood, and didn't wait for anyone to listen to her reasons, but she was chasing after her father with a desperate energy.

"Father!" She called, leaving the two boys alone back in the room.

Audrey only need a minute of her father's time, he'd see, he'd have to see.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale couldn't help snickering at Lord Anton's comment towards Benjamin, which had finally shut the annoying bastard up, much to the joy of Vale's ears. He stayed silent through the entire conversation since the wedding had nothing to do with him, and he was only a slave, so he didn't get a opinion anyway. Too bad, because then he would have straight out and say that Audrey should marry him instead of Benjamin, but that was only his opinion. He glanced up when Lord Anton stood up to leave, and saw how hard Audrey tried to have his attention to ask him something, but her father wouldn't even look at her. He only patted her hand, told her not today, even as he already had one foot out the door. He risked a glance towards Audrey's direction, his eyes sympathetic, glad that she tried anyway.

That was all she could do, was try. Her voice always went unheard, even though she was a noble, the only ears she could have hear her out were him and her maids. With the maids it was only to command kindly to perform a certain task, while all other nobles never seemed to care what it was that Audrey wished to say. Even her own father had no time for her and didn't wish to listen to anything she had to say. It was no wonder he was so blind to the fact that his own daughter was unhappy with the marriage she was forced with with Benjamin, who was still jabbing away about some nonsense, maybe something about the wedding. It was a little hard to tell, everything that came out of Taylor's mouth was starting to sound alike.

Vale was a little stunned when Audrey suddenly bolted from the room, calling for her father, and a smile slowly crept up his lips. Good, she wasn't giving up. However Taylor had taken notice of this of course, looking very displeased and moved to go after Audrey, and Vale grew alarmed. He couldn't ruin this. The instant his mouth starts running he'll divert Anton's attention away from his daughter, and Audrey will never have her say! So Vale moved, quickly intersecting Benjamin and they went toppling over each other, and Vale could feel Benjamin's weight land on him. The air was knocked right out of him, his head feeling like it was floating for a moment before settling back down, and he found himself stuck beneath Lord Taylor.

Never had he seen a noble jump up so fast.

With a furious cry Benjamin pushed himself off of Vale, backing away from him as he examined himself, his face red with fury. "You mongrel! Getting your filth stained onto my clothes! Is your brain so small that you don't know how to walk?!" He turned his hateful gaze to Vale, demanding an explanation.

Vale pushed himself up, still trying to regain the breath he had lost. "My apologies... Sire... I was merely... Following... My mistress..." He spoke between gasping breaths, his posture a bit bent instead of straight as he faced Benjamin. "I... Wasn't... Paying a... Attention...."

Benjamin scowled at him, fire seeming to rain from his eyes. "Like hell you weren't. I'll have you whipped for this you piece of dirt. Step aside." He shoved Vale to the side and made once again to go after Audrey.

Once again Vale moved without thinking. He reached behind him for a chair that was left in Lord Anton's study, used for guests to sit on when they are summoned, and he quickly slid it out in front of Benjamin. Moving too quickly because of his fury, the noble went toppling over with all his grace and dignity, the chair crashing over him as he hit the ground. Benjamin was still for a moment, a long groan emanating from him from beneath the chair, opening his eyes in a daze. Then they focused on Vale, and he could see the gray of his eyes becoming stormy clouds set on unleashing it's storm upon him, the noble's plush skin now a furious red. Never had Vale seen such a red color on a person's face before.

Which meant he was in huge trouble. He leapt right over the chair and took off down the hallway, hearing Benjamin's furious yell behind him as he struggled with the chair, trying to get free. It wasn't long till there was a loud crash, signaling Benjamin's freedom, and Vale knew the noble would be after him. Refusing to have his pride and dignity tarnished by a slave. Good, that will keep him away from Audrey and give her some time to talk with her father. Vale could handle Benjamin. He knew that he would be punished tonight, but so long as he acted as the dumbwitted and confused servant everyone thought he was, then they won't kill him. They'll see it as Benjamin only overreacting, taken by the stress of the wedding, so the worse Vale will get would probably be a beating.

He didn't care, he was enjoying himself, his eyes glinting with joy and mischief as a smile broke out on his face. Maybe he was just crazy, but he had been wanting to do that to the thief of his love for the longest time, so he was feeling pretty good about himself. Plus right now, Audrey should be speaking to her father about what her wishes were, and if all went well then she would no longer have to marry Benjamin. So even if Vale gets a beating, then it would all be worth it, he just needed to keep ahead of Benjamin for a while.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Father, please you don't understand!" Audrey placed a hand on her father's shoulder to slow him down.

From somewhere back behind her she heard the commotion of some unknown fighting. Even her father wouldn't turn around to look, but Audrey took a split second to divert her gaze. Finding nothing worth looking into, she continued to chase after her father. He wouldn't turn back to look at her and it frightened her. Nothing she did, or said, caused him to feel any reason to hear her out.

"Just stop!" She begged him.

Lord Anton turned to finally face his daughter. He placed two withered hands on her shoulders, wiry and thin, when had he become such a tired old man she wondered? Audrey remembered days filled with thick laughter and muscles equally broad as the rest of him. He had a full beard, not the wiry one on his chin, and his eyes had never lost so much light.

"Please, Audrey." Anton closed his eyes and gripped his daughter hard, as if to make her understand something far beyond her comprehension. "I am doing this because I care for you, you must not fight me on this. Lord Taylor is rich, and will bring you everything you need, and in time you will learn to-"

"I don't love him." She cried out. Anton gave no fair response. His hand met her face in a harsh grip, too much strength for such a frail man.

"This is the last thing I can do for you, Audrey." Anton became suddenly fierce, his voice growled the words instead of whispering them. "You can settle, you can live the noble life you've grown accustomed to or you can grow old, and die, without a penny to your name. When I am gone, the wealth will go to your brother, you know this. You know. I cannot do anything to save you when I am gone, Audrey, and I love you. I love you enough to see that there is a man who will stay by your side and bear you children to keep our blood flowing strong. Is that not enough?"

"Mother always told me to find someone I love, what happened to that?" Audrey retorted. "I don't love Benjamin, I love-"

"I'm sorry, Audrey." Anton cut her off with a less harsh tone of voice. His eyes returned to an absent gaze and his hands lowered away from her. He was ready to retreat again to the solitude of his quarters and be bothered no more. "This is all I can do."

He stepped away, and Audrey gave up. She returned to her room so she might find solace in the quiet.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale practically lead Benjamin through the whole castle, running through rooms and down the stairs, then down some halls, into more rooms, the kitchen, down more halls, and even somehow managed to get him to chase him through the maids' dressing room. That involved a lot of screaming as women on either side of them quickly covered up and hid, which caused Benjamin to stop short in his tracks as his whole face went red-whether in more fury or just embarrassment, Vale couldn't tell-and to quickly cover his eyes. He tried to walk out without seeing anything, but ended up falling on a pile of women's clothing, coming back up with a bra over his head. Vale was lucky enough to catch this with a glance back, and burst with laughter, catching Benjamin's attention. This time Vale knew the red on his face was anger, and the Lord quickly picked himself up and chased after Vale, trying to see as less as he could before they were finally out.

Vale figured he had delayed Lord Taylor enough, so it was time to loose him. He ran up some steps to the second floor, quickly going down the hall and stopped by a large door, opening it quickly and slammed it shut once he was inside. He entered a large room with a fire place and had some hunting trophies hanging from the wall, and there were some couches and chairs. Apparently some den or sitting area. He quickly ran straight for the fireplace, thankful that it wasn't lit, though it was never lit. With so many rooms in this castle, most of them were never used, except for when the maids come in to clean. He quickly reached up into the chimney, feeling around the walls, looking for something. There was a slight indentation, and so reached a finger inside and felt a switch, quickly pressing it.

The very back wall of the fire place suddenly began to slide open, revealing a deep tunnel, and Vale quickly got onto his hands and knees and crawled inside. The wall soon closed right behind him, and not a second after he could hear the door to the room slam open, along with loud footsteps storming inside.

"Where are you?!" Vale could hear Benjamin call for him in fury. "Come out you lousy mutt! You're going to pay!" Vale could only roll his eyes as he heard the Lord causing a ruckus out there, probably throwing and tearing everything down to find him, not having a care about the mess he was making.

Vale felt bad for the maids that will most likely have to clean up Benjamin's mess, but there was no way he was going to go out there and reveal himself with Benjamin in that kind of state. Anything could happen. So instead he began walking down the tunnel, keeping his hands along the wall so that he could lead himself through. Once he reached the end he felt around for another switch, then clicked on it and once again, a panel opened up to reveal an opening. He walked out, coming into another room just below the one he had been in upstairs, the tunnel having lead straight down to it. This room was the piano room, though no one seemed to play the piano for no one was ever here to practice, much to Vale's luck.

He looked around before crawling out of the wall, the panel having opened up just in the corner of the room, hidden behind a cushioned chair. He crawled over the chair after making sure the close was clear, then made himself cross over the room to the door, opening it a crack and peered out. No one seemed to be around. He quickly walked out and closed the door, then took off in the complete opposite direction of Benjamin, taking another route he knew would take him to Audrey's room without the chances of running into Benjamin. The Lord will be looking for him for a while, so he and Audrey will be safe for the time being, but as for later today Vale knew that a punishment would be in order. He didn't care though. That whole ride had well been worth it.

He soon made it to Audrey's room, out of breath but managed to stand straight and knock on her door, using the knock he always used. When she would recognize his knock and allow him entrance, he opened the door and stepped inside, smiling in her direction as he closed the door behind him. He was ready to tell her of his little adventure, but his smile quickly faded when he saw the look she carried, instantly telling that something was wrong. Dread filled his chest, already telling that the talk with her father had not gone well, that there was no longer a choice for her to take. He did not need to ask her about it.

He walked over to her, reaching out and took her hand, giving it a light squeeze in comfort as he didn't say a thing. Words will not help at this moment, so instead he was going to let her speak, if that was what she felt like at the moment. Even if she stayed silent, he'll stay here with her, carrying her burden and sorrow with him. He'll wait however long it took till she was ready to speak.

Reactions: Lillian Gray
Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Audrey allowed Vale entrance to her chambers, after already having sent away another round of maids, it would be enough to have just the one at her side. He alone could tell by the look on her face that she was in pain, the talk having not gone according to plan. She only felt worse about the situation now. Truly, her father was doing all he could to ensure that Audrey had a future somewhere in the ranks of nobility, just as she'd been used to from the time she was born. While a life with Benjamin would be the proper option, she longed for the more lively route with the only man who wanted her.

She didn't allow herself to feel the pain of losing Vale, and as quickly as she could she tangled her arms around his back and snaked her hands into his dark hair. Audrey hastily found him with her lips, planting kisses here and there without much thought or sense. Her passion was for all the wrong reasons, all she wanted was to be held, to take a stab at those who'd see her off to a man of little love or appreciation. If anyone were to walk in, she wouldn't care. If Vale ended up the father of her child because of a simple mistake, be that what she would never call their love, she still wouldn't care.

Not a soul in the world gave her any comfort but the man in her arms.

"No one cares." She breathed against his neck after another flurry of kisses. "No one cares but you, just take me, far away and I'd never ask another thing of you."

Audrey pulled herself away and gripped his arms hard. Fear and fire mingled in her eyes as her heart tried to relay the complexity of what she wanted to say. I love you. I hate Benjamin. I love my father. I want to live this life. I cannot let my father down. Take me from here. Vale. Vale. Vale. Never leave my side.

I cannot express it.

"Anywhere but here, please, Vale." Audrey whimpered. "I can't stay here, I can't."

Her head fell against his chest despite her iron grip on his arms. She shook with all the difficulty of her emotion, one mortal form was too much to contain what she felt. Or was it? Audrey felt herself weak for a moment.

Last edited:
Reactions: DekuNightFury
Underdog, #2B3856
It didn't take long at all till Audrey suddenly had her arms around him, holding him in a death grip as she rained kisses all over him, as if she were trying to take in all of his soul and being. Her lips were on his, then his cheek, his jaw, his neck, the corner of his mouth, chin, everywhere where she could reach. She kissed him so much that he lost count and could no longer keep track of where they pressed against his skin, but he didn't care, and he took it all. He would return her kiss whenever her lips landed on his only to have them quickly pull away to kiss somewhere else, not allowing him to move away from her, not that he would want to. Her hands gripped his hair, causing a slight pain in his scalp, but he didn't mind at all. He took all of it, her grip and the abuse of her lips, absorbing it all.

When it finally stopped he listened to her every word, grasping every emotion that filled her as she spoke, his neck tingling where her breath beat against his skin. Then she was looking at him intensely, gripping his arms so hard that he thought she was going to pull them off, but he didn't flinch or look away. He held her gaze, and when she made her request, his heart nearly stopped. Take her away? Was this something that she really wanted? If this was what she desired above all else, then he would not hesitate to kidnap her and carry her far away to some magical place, a place where they could be together. A place that didn't separate people with ranks and hierarchy. Audrey would be free of her burdens, or her nobility blood, for where he would take her it wouldn't matter what family line she was from. All she had to do was say the word, and he would obey, taking her away from his place.

Her head fell to his chest as if all the strength had suddenly left her body, leaving her weak and feeling hopeless. Only then did his arms find their way around her, pulling her body close to his once more, using his own to shield her from the world around them. Her words broke his heart. She sounded so close to breaking down, like she was going to cry and fall apart, her burdens too much to bare. He buried his face into her hair, holding her tightly against him, as if his arms could keep her together. He didn't allow for his own emotions to get in the way, not now, not when she needed him. He didn't like this any more than she did, his heart feeling crushed by the idea that she'll be bonded to another man, a man she was forced to be with instead of being with him. But he pushed that all out of his mind. He needed to be strong, for her, and not let his mind be clouded by these trivial matters.

As badly as he wanted to take her away from here, he knew that he couldn't do that, and that she was only speaking out of her despair. He needed to calm her down first, to get her to see reason before she made any rash decisions, but if she still wanted to leave this place even after her mind had calmed, then he will gladly do it. But he did had to take her away from here, to get her somewhere that didn't remind her of her marriage or anything related to it. Just for a little while, so that the burdens and stress of it all will leave her. He lifted his head and gazed down at her, cupping her cheek into his hand and tilted her head so that she would look up at him.

"Come with me." He said softly, and that was all he spoke before he took her hand and lead her out of the room.

--------------------------------------------------

They entered a small glade in the forest behind the castle. He had snuck her through the hallways and through secret passages till they were outside, coming out of a secret entrance from the back wall of the castle, where he lead her straight into the forest. He found this place not too long ago, and had been wanting to bring Audrey here one day, and now seemed better than any other time. It was pretty simple, with a small stream flowing through the small clearing, a fallen log forming a bridge over it, and there was a bed of lilies off to the side. He lead Audrey along the soft grass, making her take off her shoes so that the grass could tickle her feet, and lead her over by the water.

This was the perfect place for her to clear her mind and release her stress. To get her mind off the big issue and calm down, so that she wouldn't have a mental breakdown that Vale feared she would have if she stayed inside the castle a moment longer. She had to take everything in, to process it all and allow herself to think rationally, rather than plunge right into the first thing she wanted to do. This was not his Audrey, for the Audrey he knew will be able to find a way around it or somehow work with it, and to keep calm and have a focused mind. He didn't blame her for going into such a state though, in fact was surprised that it hadn't come sooner, and he didn't want her making any choices that she might regret later.

He looked at her and smiled softly, squeezing her hand as he caressed the back of it with his thumb. "You can walk right in if you like." He told her, gesturing to the stream. "It's pretty shallow by the shore, though it goes deeper the further you walk in."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Audrey allowed the deep greenery to swallow her whole, a new color to add to the vast array of angry reds and miserable blues around her. If she had an ounce of color left to bring a ray of bright sun left, she would in a heartbeat. It was a rainbow of emotion but all she could see now was bright crimson. All she had to hope for was that Vale could cleanse her pallet and they would begin anew in the colors of the forest.

"I hate this." Audrey whispered so quietly she wasn't sure Vale could hear what she uttered.

She stood rapidly and kicked her feet into the water, her foot scraped against the river stone on the bottom and she winced in pain. The river splashed violently beneath her, anger transferred as best it could be. It wasn't enough. Her anger was still pent up inside the well of her chest, and it screamed to get out before her voice took control. Every man, woman or child would be able to hear her then.

"I don't know what to do." She gripped either side of her head with her hands before screaming up into the sky, "Tell me what to do!"

Audrey sank into the river, not caring whether or not she remained dry any more. She was tired of the game now that it had started, it had barely been a day and it was all too much. The marriage had been brought too quickly, and the wedding only a disaster to come, again all too soon. Now that she had discovered her feelings for someone less desirable than a royal match, it was only a matter of time before her miserable life was pulled apart by the rules of social standings. Vale was a peasant. Audrey was of royal blood.

They'd never be together, not if she prayed to every god she knew.

"Please, Vale." She turned to him then. "Take me away from here, I don't care where, I don't care how. Just do it. I'm ordering you, do it!"

She had snapped at him, not realizing the hurt she could have inflicted. Audrey bowed her head close to the water and began to shake. There were no options left, all the preferred routes having been taken or ignored. Anton wouldn't speak to her about it. Benjamin wasn't likely to call it off. It was Audrey alone who fought the war on love and pain.

"Do it!"

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
It didn't work. It hadn't worked at all. Instead bringing her here seemed to have made it worse, and Vale could only stare sadly at her as she ventured out into the water, fighting the emotions that welled up inside of her. But it all seemed too much. She screamed at the sky, before she dropped to her knees in the river, soaking her dress. She was breaking apart right before him, and he couldn't do anything to take the pain away inside of her.

He couldn't take much more of this, so he stepped towards her. "Audrey-"

"Take me away from here, I don't care where, I don't care how. Just do it. I'm ordering you, do it!"

Vale stopped in his tracks, shocked from the sudden command and snappy tone, unsure of how to even react. Never had Audrey ever spoken to him like that, has never given him an 'order' unless it was in a teasing tone, never demanded so much from him. He watched her turn away and sink her head close to the water's surface, seeing her body tremble, repeating the last two words at him. It definitely was a command that couldn't be ignored, and he was afraid that if he did, then Audrey would be finished. He stood there in silence, watching her from the shore, taking her words in. He lowered his hand that had reached out towards her when he had began walking over to her, standing up straight as his gaze soften, though his expression hardened.

Okay. If this was what she really wished, what she really desired, then he'll make it happen. Somehow, he'll get her out of there, and take her far away to a place of their own. He had no idea how he was going to do it, or if they'll be okay, or what they'll do afterwards. But he was going to do it. If staying here meant to watch his true heart's love fall apart before him because of some forced marriage, then he won't make her stay here a second longer, or marry that creep Taylor. He'll do anything for her, and that included getting her away from here somehow, to take her away from her arranged marriage and a father who wouldn't listen.

He walked over to her, stepping into the water without taking off his cheap shoes, making his way around her. He knelt down in front of her, not caring for the water soaking his clothes, and he gently placed his hands on her shoulders. He loved this woman so much... He'll make anything happen for her, make the impossible, possible. He'll go to the ends of the earth and back again if she so wished it, anything to see her smiling face and to drive away her worries and sorrows. He really was her slave, a slave to her heart, and he will obey.

"Whatever you wish." He spoke softly to her, as if soothing a scared child. "Give me till nightfall. That's all I ask. I swear to you, I will have two horses prepared with bags of supplies. Leave all your royal wear, bring nothing that will give away your royal blood, we can disguise you later. I only ask that you bring a bag of coins with you, but keep it well hidden. Tonight we can ride away, ride however long and far you like. I'll bring enough supplies to last us for a few weeks, then we'll have enough money to last longer and perhaps find a place, whatever it takes. Even if we have none of that, I will make it happen. Somewhere, somehow, I will make it all happen. If you want to leave, then I will take you far away. This I swear, upon my own blood and soul, I will whisk you away from this nightmare and take you to your paradise."

• Love
Reactions: Lillian Gray
Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"You make it sound so easy." Audrey whimpered.

She felt like a harbinger of reality for the pair. The more she thought about running the worse the idea sounded, but it became such a beautiful notion. There'd be blood to pay and a family destroyed if anything happened, if Marcellus stayed in line then no one would miss Audrey one bit. Her brother might cry for her, her father would certainly weep in the confines of his own space. Anton had already lost his wife for a son, and didn't want to lose any more of his precious remaining family. What was the real price she would pay for love, to be with Vale?

How long will this last?

"Damn you, Vale Foyer." Audrey threw herself at Vale with her arms tight around his shoulders. She wept with pain and joy. "Why does love have to hurt so much?"

It wasn't like she could help human nature. Benjamin wanted her for her body, her money, and her family line. It helped that she looked pretty and knew when to keep her mouth shut. The world was filled with greed and the pockets of the poor were lined with dirt, just as they should have been because of all the damnable rich. Audrey wished she'd been born a peasant, sold to a life of early mornings and calloused hands from working in fields of green. All of that would have felt more proper to her, and not the thick silks she wore, that were now soaked and ruined.

"I didn't mean to snap, I didn't-I" She hiccuped and went to wipe the tears from her eyes.

"My father, he told me this was best, and I can't help but feel guilty." That was right, she thought, she hadn't even told Vale what her father had said in the hall. It broke her heart to imagine leaving him behind. "He said, I have to marry him, because I know that if I'm taken from this life, he knows I wouldn't be able to make it. I don't know if I can do it. What if I let you down? I can't work, I can't do anything but try and live up to the expectations of...of I don't know, I don't!"

She imagined a life ahead of her, sitting pretty in a rocking chair beside a small hearth. It'd be the only one in the small home they could afford. Vale would be grounded to the same life as before, digging away at the earth, scrubbing floors and generally making sure Audrey was comfortable. Whether they stayed or not, it would be the same, the only difference was in the way Audrey would feel. Would she enjoy the simple life, truly? Or would it be too much, and would her longing for a royal cuisine mock her during the cold winter nights?

"What if we go, and all I can do is just sit there, you'd end up providing for us both, I can't, Vale I-" Audrey rested her head on his chest again. "It's me, I won't be able to care for you."

Last edited: