Royal Pain

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Underdog, #2B3856
Once he felt the weight of Audrey's head on his lap, he moved the bucket away so that it's contents wouldn't foul her nose and make her nauseated once more, but kept it within reach so that he may easily retrieve it in case she suddenly became sick again. He gently cupped the top of her head in his hand, his other one combing through her messy hair, carefully getting out the tangles. Honestly, not even the maids were able to comb her beautiful golden locks while she had locked herself away in here, seeming to do everything in her power to keep from being well taken care of. But none of that mattered right now. His only focus was her, feeling the soft silk of her hair as it slid between his fingers, unlocking the tangles within without having to pull too much. He could feel her fingers gently run along his knee, the gesture somehow relaxing and nice, even though it was such a light touch.

"What's it like, Vale?"

The question stunned him, pausing his hand halfway through her hair as he stared at her, not quite sure how to respond. He wasn't even exactly sure what she meant by it.

"Do you ever regret it? That we found you, made you a slave instead of...well, I don't know what."

Oh, so that was what she meant. Still, the question caught him off guard, and he needed a moment to answer. He never really thought about it before, the way his life had turned out or what he had to look forward to tomorrow, or for the rest of his life. He never thought of the future or the past, unless it was to reminisce about good times and happy memories, though he usually kept his mind in the present. Whatever happened, happened, unless he didn't like it and decided to change it. True it was a really hard life, and the nobles were almost impossible to deal with, but yet... He was happy. Not because he had an uncomfortable bed or long hours of work with little pay, but for one thing, and for one thing only.

Her.

He could pull through each and every day because he would get to see the one person who mattered to him most, the only person in this world that was important to him, the only one that he ever and will ever love. By the end of each day he had sore wrists, knees, back, legs, whatever body part could function and work just to see her smiling face. To be allowed to remain here in this castle and remain by her side for however long he could. It made every beating and hard working hour worth it, no matter how hard it seemed. Till this very moment he never considered this at all, having grown so used to it that it had become his very life, not knowing anything else. And he will never give it back, not desire a single minute back of it, for none of it mattered so long as he got to be with her. Now if it ever came to her actually having to leave without him, he had no idea what he would do with himself, but he refused to think that way. Again, he never thought about the future, only the here and now. And right now he was alone with Audrey, a chance he was always grateful for and cherished. When the time came he'll figure something out in order to remain by her side.

"No, I don't." He said, his hand resuming it's journey through her hair. "Because then I never would have met you. I relish every moment I get to spend with you, even if it means scrubbing floors upon hours upon hours on end, or cleaning stables or washing dishes or whatever useless task these nobles make me do. I'll take them all if I had to, if it meant to remain by your side. I'll even clean Benjamin's own nose that he's so proud of to stick so high up in the air if it meant to continue seeing you." He then chuckled a bit. "I guess that seems a bit sappy, huh? I don't mean to be a hopeless romantic, but honestly, I don't do all of this stuff simply because I enjoy it. So there is no other reason for it."

Royal Cousin, #9e2515
Marcellus had waited long enough behind the closed door. He'd learned the secret, he knew what was on the other side, and there was nothing to fear, he told himself that. He repeated the words like a mantra, there was nothing to fear by walking in that door. Knowledge was, in itself, a dangerous weapon, yet a useful tool all the same. What he did with such valuable information, his cousin's lover, was his decision alone. He had mulled it over as he returned with two piping hot bowls of soup and a tall pitcher of water, stacked halfway with fresh cut ice.

Whatever happened, Audrey was his cousin, his flesh and blood. Her dignity and honor, as well as some small bit of her joy, came first and foremost above all other problems. If it came down to her being accused of adultery, for bringing shame to their families...

He wanted to knock, but his nobility proceeded him. Entering his cousin's room without a word would have normally been strange, but, he simply wanted to see what was inside. What faces would he be greeted with when he unmasked the lovers left alone? Would they be sorry, pitiful, or happy, bubbling over with glee that they did not have to hide in front of the Prince himself? It was a curious choice that Marcellus did not knock, but when he entered, his heart softened, and he almost backtracked out of the room without a sound.

They were curled up on the floor, backs turned towards the tall wooden door that marked Audrey's room. Vale had one arm snaked in Audrey's hair, untangling days worth of snarls with ease, something the maids themselves had not been keeping up with. His other hand rested on her back to trace small circles against the fabric of her nightgown, an act even the Prince could recognize as one of comfort. His own mother used to do that as a boy, when he himself had fallen ill or had a nightmare. Even with the mangled scar on his face, something even Marcellus couldn't help but find unsettling, he was smiling down at Audrey without a second thought as to who he was, or how dire the predicament was. Vale was beside himself with an intangible thirst for her love, and Audrey was more than happy to give it to him.

She laughed at something he said, the both of them did. Marcellus set the tray of soup on the closest surface he could find, a small desk meant to be used for letters and papers of a various nature. The two silver spoons clanked against their respective bowls, and then he was gone. The door closed on his heel, just late enough where he missed the tender affection Audrey placed on his cheek.

How could he condemn such sweet affection, how? He asked himself the question as he stalked off. Marcellus hadn't seen such adoration in anyone's eyes in many years. Even his own fiancee wouldn't look at him so, not the way Vale did to Audrey, his Audrey, Vale's Audrey. Marcellus' fiancee spoke of love, sweet thing that she was, but what did it mean to her? What depth did her words hold, what had the Prince been doing wrong where he could not have that same look so carefully placed upon his face? He thought of her, Bailey Upton, a simple nobleman's daughter looking to further herself in the social ranks. Marcellus had been too busy to give her the attention she desired, and something inside him knew it was his own fault.

Marriage was a nobleman's game, to play ranks and status while the lower class had the pleasure of attending a feast in the end. This was wrong, and Marcellus knew it now. Bailey wasn't a game to him, she was more than that, he'd simply failed to show how much he truly cared. He only wanted to play the part so she might respect him. Did she?

He was at Bailey's room in a heartbeat, she looked surprised to see him, but still happy. Before he could explain what he was doing, before responding to her sweet words, Marcellus scooped her up in his arms and twirled her around, bunches of lace trailed after her in a soft wave of white fabric. The Prince dipped her down, holding the back of her head, just beneath the chocolate brown curls, and kissed her dearly.

A slave can teach a nobleman many things, and today, I have Vale Foyer to thank for that.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"You may have to clean it for him, it's always so high up in the air, I doubt he knows it's just as dirty up there as it is down here." Audrey laughed. "But...Vale?"

Her eyes glanced away from the hand she left on his knee as she turned herself up to gaze into his silver eyes. Strange, how they seemed to glow so much more than Benjamin's, even though they shared the same unusual hue.

He may have been a hopeless romantic, but she adored it. Audrey was unable to portray in her face what she wanted to say, but her eyes did their best to speak for her. Her cheeks were too busy showing off her sickness, and her lips cracked and dry from being so dehydrated, but thank the gods her eyes had a bit of a shine left to them. She loved him, and that meant the part that was a sap, the part that would scrub Benjamin's nose when if it came to it, the part of Vale that washed the floors she walked on, gave him sore knees and an achy back. All of him was what she loved and there was no other way she would have taken him. There would be ample time to see that he was given better conditions to live under, and possibly a higher place, a servant title instead of a lowly unnamed slave. If Vale had been raised to look down on other's, she wouldn't have loved that bit of him.

"You're the man I love." Audrey explained. "You don't have to worry about being the romantic you are, because I love that, too."

She sat up, finally, and leaned her lips towards Vale's cheek to plant a kiss there. After all, the girl was still ill, and she wanted no part in transferring the illness, whatever it was, over to Vale.

Audrey heard the door close just after the clanking of silverware and whipped her head to see who the culprit was, "Who's-" Audrey began, but, there was no one.

She was alarmed to see that no one was there, no accusing finger to point at her sins. Her mind raced with worry as she stacked her head with the possibilities of who could have seen her. If it was anyone she didn't know, they'd both be in for a world of suffering. As her eyes laid upon the simple tray of food, her heartbeat slowed down from the sudden rush of adrenaline she'd received. It was only Marcellus, bringing them food, or rather, having dropped it off.

"I guess he wanted to leave us alone then?" Audrey smiled.

Audrey didn't know if that was good or bad, but, she was in no state to be wandering off after her cousin. If she tried, she'd most likely fall two feet out her doorway before having to crawl back inside. He'd seemed amiable beforehand, and she hoped that mood stayed inside his chest before he thought twice about telling anyone what he discovered firsthand was going on between the Lady Audrey and her servant.

"There's two bowls." She noted. "Have lunch with me, would you, Vale? I fear I can't walk anyways, so, I will be needing you after all."

She laughed at herself for the first time in days. Her arms fluttered at her sides, useless because of her condition. Audrey could hardly stand to be anywhere but in bed, and no matter who would've brought the food, someone would have needed to hand it to her on a silver platter.

They had the platter, and she had Vale. It was all rather perfect, in a way.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
All Vale could do was smile at the loving touch of her lips on his cheeks, so soft and lush to him no matter how cracked they seemed, her kisses meaning so much more to him than they ever could to Benjamin Taylor. Her words touched him just as deeply, swelling his heart to three times it's size, his silver gaze growing softer as he looked down upon her. This moment right here he enjoyed, his favorite out of the entire week he had, already feeling so much better. He was about to say something to her when he, too, had become distracted by the sudden clang of silverware and the shutting of the door.

The same kind of adrenaline had run through him as his heart suddenly began to race far faster than it should, whirling his head around in alarm, afraid to see guards rushing in to grab him and take him away from his beloved. Yet there was no one, just a vacant spot by the door, save for the platter of bowls and pitcher left on a desk. But who....? He frowned deeply as he remembered the prince declaring that he was going to retrieve Audrey a 'meal', and it would seem that he had kept his word. But why? Why would the Prince not return with guards and declare to his whole family of Audrey's betrayal, and the slave's daring achievement? Surely these things were too high of a crime to simply be overlooked, especially by one of such high rank, and to have continue. Did...did he really care that dearly for his cousin? Even if she had put their family name to shame?

He was soon pulled out of his thoughts by Audrey's request. Indeed, there were two bowls sitting there on the platter, not one. That shocked him even more than not being ratted out did. The Prince had served a slave. Maybe Vale was actually dreaming this entire time, and that when he woke up, he'll be back in his uncomfortable bed with Audrey still refusing to see him. This all seemed so unreal to him. Nevertheless he couldn't help but smile, the miracle seeming too good too pass up, and so he carefully helped Audrey to her feet before picking her right up once he stood. He cradled her gently to him, carrying her to the bed and set her down, tucking her in.

"I'll join you in just a moment." He said. "First I would like to clean up this mess so that you won't lose your appetite." He leaned forward, giving her a gentle kiss on the head, before going to retrieve her meal.

Once he handed her a nice bowl of soup and a glass of ice water, he cleaned out the bucket with her mess and filled it with soap and water, then set out on cleaning the floor. It honestly didn't take long at all, and in a matter of minutes, the floors were sparkling once more. Just like he promised he went and retrieved his own bowl of soup, returning to Audrey's side and sat down on the edge of her bed, setting the bowl on his lap. He didn't move to lift the spoon just yet, a puzzled expression on his face as he looked at Audrey.

"I have to ask," he began, "just... What is it with your cousin? He saw us, and I'm positive he knows now, yet... There aren't guards rushing in here to whisk me away or a steaming Benjamin to yell and scorn you for the sin you have committed. But why then? Why hasn't he told a soul? I see no reason for him to hold it off."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Audrey made a small noise of protest as Vale went for her bucket of sick. Cleaning it was the last thing on her mind, they could have slid it away into the bathroom and left it for good, but he was halfway through scrubbing the floors before she could utter another sound.

"Thank you, Vale."

How many times did anyone thank a servant, she wondered? Probably not very often. Typically, when such appreciation was uttered it was with a dull amount of meaning, usually more of a courtesy than anything else. Did he appreciate her thanks, or was it unwanted, annoying even? Audrey didn't have much a say, but, she'd been saying it since Vale moved into her home. If she could find the time to thank her servants, she hoped it was enough to perhaps make them feel wanted.

"Now, stay here." Audrey requested as Vale settled in on the edge of her bed. She curled her toes and propped up her knees so he might have something to lean back against if he wanted. "I don't want you going anywhere."

Marcellus was an odd case to explain, Audrey couldn't put her finger on what her cousin really wanted. He was a good man, truly good, to the same degree Audrey was in terms of how she treated other human beings. The only thing was, is he was private. The only time Audrey was able to speak freely around her cousin was when they were locked away in his study, or her own quarters. He had a hard time trusting people, it came with being noble. Even Audrey had her qualms with some individuals, it couldn't be helped.

Audrey didn't make for her bowl, but sipped instead on the water. It calmed her stomach to some degree, everything else sent waves of crippling pain up her spine, until her tongue tasted horrid and sour from whatever food she'd forced herself to try.

"I can't say for certain, not really." Audrey finally responded. "Marcellus is a good man, truly honestly good, and I believe he'd do what it took to make sure everything was fair." Audrey sipped at her water again as she contemplated her word choices. Fair. "He's my blood. He knows just as well how hard it is to...to find someone who truly cares for you. Not for money or for power, fame, it's hard."

She reached a hand out and stroked the side of Vale's arm before he had a chance to take a sip of the piping hot soup, as if to say she'd certainly found her someone.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale did in fact ended up leaning against her legs a bit, just because he could, though he didn't let his full weight press against her. He only liked the contact, and that was all it was. Contact. Whenever he was around Audrey there had to be some sort of connecting, a touch of any kind, small or big. He could be in the most tense of moods but the simplest touch from her would instantly break it, lighting up his mood almost instantly.

"Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere." He said, flashing a smile towards her way, just as bright as the silver of his eyes.

No, there was no place he would rather be. He preferred to be right here, beside her, always and forever. Even when he was off doing his chores he was always constantly thinking about her, looking forward to the time he could spend with her, and enjoying every moment of it. Sometimes there were days where he would be working so much that he wouldn't finish till late at night, yet he would still go to see Audrey even if it was just for an hour, then he would go off to bed to do the same thing tomorrow. But he didn't care, so long as he got to see her.

He considered her words about her cousin, looking down into his bowl of soup as he lifted and lowered his spoon, watching the liquid drip from the silver bowl whenever he lifted the silverware. He believed her, he always did, for there was no reason to doubt her. Still, it made him wonder about Marcellus, this prince seeming to be a little more mysterious than Audrey. He believed that he was a good man, but you could never know with nobles, whether they would put their own title before the welfare of their family members or not. If there was a chance that their secret may leak, what links would Marcellus go to protect his own reputation? He was the prince after all...

Once again, Audrey's touch pulled the worries right out of Vale, feeling her stroke his arm. He relaxed against her, the whole thing suddenly seeming less important now, and he focused on the here and now. Her touch would even take all the sores and pain away from his body after a hard long day of work, as if she had just given him the greatest massage of all. He looked over to Audrey and smiled, lifting a hand to gently stroke her cheek with the back of his finger, feeling the warmth on her skin from the alcohol. At least it seemed a little cooler than it did before she became.

"I guess we can trust him." He said. "I don't see any reason why he would rat us out now if he didn't already. It still puzzles me though why he would let a slave like me be with his noble cousin... I would think he'd be more protective of that or something."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Don't worry about it." Audrey pouted, her lips forming a perfect 'o' shape while she pulled Vale towards her with a great difficultly. He had his soup to balance.

"Sometimes people do things that they can't explain." Audrey's eyes trailed towards Vale's hands, she reached to take one, despite their distance on the bed. He wasn't as close as she'd like, but, they were attempting to eat so it shouldn't have mattered. "People want to save themselves the trouble, or, they fall in love, the mind wants what it wants."

Audrey walked her fingers along Vale's arm. Explaining why Marcellus wanted to keep their secret was the same as asking why Audrey fell in love. It happened, and would be that way, until it became too large a problem. For the time being it was just that, a secret, and the Prince had nothing to worry about. No one knew, therefor there was no danger in letting Marcellus keep quiet. He wasn't likely to tell because, as Vale imagined, the turmoil would be great. A slave falling in love with a noble, or even vice versa, was not commonplace in any regard. It would be treated with suspicion, Audrey would be an outcast, and Vale? No one could really say.

"Just like I want you, and you want me, to be happy and whatnot, Marcellus wants that too in his own way. We're close, you know that." Audrey stopped when her fingers reached Vale's shoulder, her arm wouldn't extend any further. "We're the last remaining Audoire children, surely we have to watch out for each other?"

She was tired, honestly. Her stomach and head were swimming. Audrey leaned forward, awkwardly resting on her knees where Vale had his head, briefly touching as she sat that way. The girl was still sick, and rest was all she needed now that she had soup, water, and love at her side.

"Lock the door." She murmured. "I mean it, I want you to stay, tonight."

She looked up with innocent blue eyes, inflamed red cheeks and a lust for company.

"Nothing...too strenuous, I just want you nearby."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale ate small bites of his meal while he listened to Audrey, though he wasn't really hungry, despite how thin he looked. Which was why he dismissed his spoon to instead reach out and hold Audrey's hand, the warm skin more welcoming than the hot bowl of soup on his lap, his thumb gently stroking the back of her hand. He put Marcellus out of his mind, deciding to trust Audrey and not worry about being caught. He supposed that he could trust Marcellus, at least for now. The prince did seem like a good guy.

Then he was suddenly looking into the sweet blue eyes that reminded him of precious, sapphire jewels, staring up at him innocently. He could clearly see that she was, in fact, serious about him staying for the night. He smiled at the thought, sleeping in such a huge and comfortable bed, with Audrey in his arms and pressed close to him. The last time they had cuddled was the night when they committed their sin, though Vale didn't consider it a sin. Audrey was not yet married, so technically speaking, she was still a free woman. She did not say 'yes' to this wedding, nor was there a band upon her finger to symbolize her belonging to another, so her forbidden fruit was Vale's for the taking. The thought of sleeping beside her once more was pleasing and joyous to Vale's heart. Did she even need to ask him?

"I would love to sleep beside you tonight." He said, leaning in to give her a gentle kiss, not caring if your illness was contagious or not. He then stood up from the bed and placed his bowl beside the bowl that had belonged to Audrey, then walked over to the door and locked it, before returning to her bedside and sat down beside her.

He suddenly seemed a bit puzzled, his eyes drifting to the floor as he thought for a moment, then looked at Audrey. "I'm sorry, but... What does strenuous mean?" He asked.

He was a bit embarrassed to ask, but being the slave he was, there were some words that he didn't quite know their meaning of. Due to the lack of education, whereas the nobles had private tutors and daily lessons, way back when they were only but a child. Vale had nothing of the sort. But this did not make him simple minded, nor stopped him from learning what he could. In fact he was a very clever young man, able to pick up words nobles would use in conversations, and usually figure out their meaning on his own. He was observant and always listening, picking up everything nobles would say and would repeat some words under his breath, tasting it in his mouth and sounding it out. He had also listened to Audrey's lessons when they were both but mere children, pretending to do his chores when he would really observed from afar and do what Audrey would do. Later she would even go over the lessons with him if he hadn't been able to keep up or missed any. Now and then there would only be a word he didn't quite understand, among of some other things he never really learned.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Strenuous?" Audrey asked. "Oh...well, it means, a large amount of extertion, or well, energy. Laborious?"

She gave him a few options for definitions. If she simply said it out loud, that she wasn't looking for a night of pleasure and sex, that would have been too much for her humble nature. Still, she blushed beneath the heat on her face and tried to act normal.

Audrey picked up the soup and sipped at it for a while, chatting aimlessly with Vale about different happenings around the castle. He'd had to polish the floors again, that's where Marcellus found him. It was a stroke of luck, but probably planned on the Prince's end. The girl found herself laughing now instead of sobbing into the field of pillows at her neck. She found an appetite even, Vale's spirit revitalized her need to be well. Each tiny, forced spoonful of the broth made her whole body radiate with a new kind of warmth, a healthy, wholesome heat.

Once it was mostly gone, she placed the bowl down and picked up Vale's. He'd hardly touched a drop, and it grew cold because of his waiting.

"Vale, you should eat." Audrey chided him. "You have to have your strength."

He needed it far more than Audrey did. Working day in, day out, it was a rare occurrence they could share such a hearty meal. She didn't miss the obvious irony in her pleading, begging Vale to eat a bowl of soup when she herself could hardly stomach a gulp of water.

"Marcellus brought it all the way up, I'd hate for it to go to waste." Audrey pouted. She set the spoon down into the liquid, a tiny silver thing which fit perfectly into her dainty hands. Once there was a small amount on the metal, she lifted it up with her hand safeguarding any stray drops, leading it over towards Vale so he might eat right out of her hand.

"Please?"

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale listened carefully as she explained the unknown word, understanding now after she had given her explanations, and only now did he blush. Finally catching her meaning when she had first spoken of the word, and he did not have the pleasure of already heated cheeks to hide it. Of course he never would have jumped to such a conclusion when she wished for him to spend the night with her, he wouldn't have been so dull and simple minded, though he knew that she didn't mean it that way. She was too ill so he wouldn't have moved in on her, that would just be wrong, and make her feel even worse. Although to say that he didn't wish for it would be a lie, for there have been some nights he wished he was back in that room at the Inn, lying by the fireplace with Audrey's naked body pressed tightly against his. To share another night of passion with her so that they could show their love for one another once again. But he wasn't so crazy for it that he would take advantage of her fragile state right now.

Now that the word was out of the way, the night continued with useless talk now, rambling on about today or yesterday. It was just simple yet joyous talk, the way they would always talk to each other, talking about one subject before completely changing to another. Of course Vale left out all parts about the beatings and punishments he had received the passed week, but he would talk about other things, like how he saw a noble slip on one of his clean(still wet) floors. He was laughing about it now, explaining that he had never laughed so hard in his life, though of course he only did so once the noble had walked quickly away. Looking quite embarrassed and looking around to make sure no one saw, though Vale had hid so that he would prevent another punishment, trying to stifle his laughter all the while.

He loved talking to Audrey about everything. It was very nice and he could just be himself, not having to play the role of a simple slave to his master, but able to talk freely and about anything. He was also glad to see her finally eating, wanting her to at least put some food in her belly, and as they talked he could see that she was already looking slightly better. They continued talking all the while she ate, till her bowl was near empty and she set it aside, but she had lifted his own bowl. At first he thought that she wanted to eat that too, but no, she wished for him to eat it. He watched as she dipped the spoon into the broth, lifted it up, then moved it towards him. He raised an eyebrow as she looked at him with those innocent eyes again, wishing for him to eat, and he slowly smiled.

"Well... I suppose since Marcellus went to all that trouble." He said in a teasing tune. "But... Only on one condition."

He leaned in and took the spoon within his mouth, before pulling back and licked his lips after swallowing the cool liquid. "You feed me." He said with a light grin.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Why, Vale Foyer, how dare you make such a request of me." Audrey said with the biggest smile on her face. It was all such heavy sarcasm, it would be stupendous if Vale didn't pick up on it. "I am a Lady of the house Audoire, and I would dare say you've insulted me."

She was far from insulted. Her love was pouring out of every possible place. If her hands could've been free to stroke his hair, she might have, but they were busy spooning him lukewarm bits of soup with a smile on her face. Had she not been smiling she might have sang his name. Her eyes glowed with adoration, no one else had cared for her like Vale Foyer.

Forget Benjamin, she told herself, forget the world and the high class which only plays the game of love. Where the pastor is a pawn, a step towards the end goal, marriage, three kids, and a castle on the hill. Even the King plays the game, singing tunes of freedom and equality, all the while his wife is simply satisfied to be so well off. Love isn't made in the high class, hardly even earned, it was a stroke of luck. Anton had been lucky to be paired with Helen, just as the King had been lucky enough to find love with his wife. They only played the game, and some had better cards than others.

She thought of poor Bailey, Marcellus' fiancee. How red she turned when she found out she was to be engaged to the Prince. At first, she'd been terrified beyond words, because she knew, too, that there was hardly ever a winner when matched with royalty. It was good then, she'd been lucky too.

"Perhaps, you might visit me every day at noon." Audrey murmured, "Then you can always eat meals with me."

Does he eat well otherwise? I can't imagine.

"And clean my sheets and scrub the floors when I become sick again." Now she was back to laughing, teasing her favorite servant boy, her friend, lover. "If I ordered you to stay at my side, would you stay?" Audrey tilted her head, putting forth another spoonful of soup as she looked sideways at Vale.

"Because, I don't think I need to tell you to do that. You...you love me, you could order me around and I'd still listen."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale couldn't stop his own laughter as she teased him, quite enjoying their little game of reversed roles, knowing full well that she was only playing. He really would have to be simple minded to fall for such feeble teasing. He could see the adoration in her eyes, his own reflecting off of them, his face glowing as he smiled brightly at her. It was amazing that they could joke around each other so casually, so unlike the usual relationships between master and slaves, but then again their relationship was unusual. And he wouldn't want it any other way. He liked the idea of staying with her every noon to share a meal, it would be better than eating the poor slop he was forced to eat with the other servants, though the best of it would be the fact that he was eating with her.

When Audrey had asked her question while lifting her spoon for him, he tilted his head curiously at her. "Why Audrey, didn't you know? Whatever m'lady wishes, I am pledged to obey, no matter what it may be?" He grinned at her, leaning forward and took a bite of the soup she fed him.

"You...you love me, you could order me around and I'd still listen."

He almost choked on the soup when those words reached his ears. Him? Order her around? He never thought of such a thing, never being one to take a leading role or felt the need to command anyone, though he knew that she didn't mean literally. Although he was still sure that if he did order her to do something, she would gladly obey, though he wondered to what lengths. Perhaps one day, just for kicks, he would try it out. Maybe. He was quite curious to see what it would be like, and he would never do anything ridiculous or insulting, but he took note of it to use for later. He swallowed his mouthful of soup, licking his lips as he thought for a moment, tapping the edge of his jaw.

"Hmm... Is that so?" He questioned. "Wouldn't that be a sight to see. A master listening to her slave." He chuckled and reached a hand forward, cupping her face lovingly in his hand. "I do love you, so there will be no need to order me or for me to order you. A simple request, and I will always say 'yes'. I would love to dine with you whenever you like."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Vale, I am not your master." Audrey pouted. He thought in such terms, as master and slave, but it was only a technicality, or a false front. Either way, it didn't mean a thing to Audrey, who appalled such relations in any manner. To be a master didn't suit her, not one bit.

"I am noble, this is true, and you are not..." Audrey frowned. "It's all very problematic, isn't it?"

The last thing she wanted to think about was this again. Like a mantra though, a sour sounding trumpet in her ear she was reminded of her status at the top of the food chain. Benjamin was there, to some extent, at least being that he stood tall above Vale. The poor slaves, laying in the dirt, Audrey would've rolled down in the depths with them, if not for the fear someone might persecute her for her love. It was all these little things that wound up being one large problem.

"Vale, when you asked me to run away with you, did you mean it?" Audrey asked quietly.

She held the soup spoon midair, without a drop of anything inside. Her eyes shifted awkwardly to her hands now that the question was in the air, and she pulled her hand back before she could say anything else.

Had they run away, guards would surely be on their tail. There'd be no escape. They'd be hunted, no matter where they went there'd be a whisper of their location in every town. That is fof course, unless they could make new names for themselves. What would they have, but a few gold coins to their name and a house on the hill? It didn't sound like a bad life, really, Audrey only doubted it could be pulled off.

"I never figured, well, it's all been so sudden. I never expected to fall in love with a slave." Audrey instantly shot her head up in shame. "Not that it's a bad thing! Simply that, I always figured I'd be on some pedestal, a wife to be looked at for well, her looks..."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale hadn't meant to refer Audrey as his master, he never thought of her that way, only as his equal. It had only been part of their little game, he didn't think that Audrey would take it seriously, and he felt bad about bringing it up. He knew that their situation was very problematic indeed, and there just didn't seem like a way out, that they were forever trapped with their titles. But that didn't matter. Not with them. So long as they were alone together, they didn't have to be restricted with their titles, but be free to be themselves. What was the point of worrying about it all when there was nothing they could do about it? It would only dampen their moods, stress and depress them. Then she asked her question, her eyes moving to her hands, and he almost laughed when her head shot up after the comment she made. Sometimes she just thought too much.

He lowered her hand that held the spoon back into the bowl, then took it from her, reaching over to the side and placed the bowl down. "I know what you meant." He said, turning to face her again, a smile on his face. "It's alright. If it makes you feel any better, I never thought that I would have fallen in love with a noble."

That was true, even if it was Audrey. The very notion of him having close relations with a noble was unthinkable, yet here he was, sharing a bed with his best friend, who just happened to be a noble. A princess to be exact. Yet they were more than friends. But that should be proof that titles and ranks shouldn't matter, that love existed and could happen to anyone, no matter who they were.

"Had you said yes, we'd be long gone from here by now." Vale answered her previous question, reaching out and gently pulled her close to him, running his fingers gently through her hair. "I would never say something so serious, so highly risky if I never meant it. True I might not have any idea of what I was doing, but I would make sure to take care of you, and would do everything in my power to do so. I know it sounds crazy, and maybe impossible, but..."

But he only wanted to be with her. To have her all to himself and not share her with a man like Benjamin Taylor, for her to have his kids and live in their own home, even if it isn't no where near as fancy as a huge castle. To no longer hide their love from the world and just be free to revel in it, not fearing that someone would suddenly catch them and haul him away, while Audrey would forever be doomed to a life of shun and shame. It all just didn't seem fair. Why couldn't someone choose to marry another for love? Even if that person was a slave? It was not like his blood was actually defiled by the dirt and grime he cleaned, that it was poison that would slowly kill the family line. He was strong, fit, and clever. All wonderful genes to pass down to future generation rulers.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Where would we go?" Audrey asked.

She nestled against his chest beneath a mountain of both pillows and sheets. Audrey shivered, her own body radiated a warmth she couldn't capture, Vale served to give it back. Every ounce of heat and pleasure was rebounded to her comfort. Vale would never know what it meant to have him there instead of the bottle of alcohol, emptied earlier from her stomach. Already she felt fuller, a bit more healthy, even if it was most definitely the soup giving her body some nutrient after it wasted away in bed.

"Down in the meadow there's a tree I know," Audrey yawned the lyrics, "Whose branches grow and grow."

Only mid afternoon, Audrey was surprised how sleep threatened to overcome her. Was something in the soup? She had to wonder as her eyelids drooped shut. Her mind felt hazy, maybe it wasn't the soup. She'd forgotten her illness with Vale nearby.

"Do you think that place exists?" Audrey asked. "Wouldn't that be something? Emerald leaves, shade, the sun, wouldn't it just be-" She yawned loudly.

He always sang of the place, maybe there was a chance it was real. Something so serene, a place where perhaps titles and ability would matter. Audrey would be a girl, Vale a boy, and their love something that people would sing songs of. How the noble overcame her class, and the slave his. How they came together in holy matrimony and there was no disagreement otherwise. Her father would agree to it, and the evil character of Benjamin Taylor would be cast aside as unwanted for his foolish notions on class.

"I want to go there." Audrey whispered. "Someday."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale could only shake his head. "I do not know, to be honest. I would have let my heart lead me to a place where we could both be happy. At the moment, I do not know of it's existence, at least not yet."

He let his fingers run through her hair, letting the slightly wet curls fall from his fingers, watching them with those silver eyes of his. Her body was definitely warm, providing him with all the heat he would need, not having any need of her ridiculously warm blanket tonight. Her bed was far better than the small cot bed he would have to sleep on, even more comfortable than the clouds above, feeling his body sink down right onto the pillows and mattress. It was amazing, as if the very bed hugged his body, and he could already feel his usual tense muscles relaxing. Then to have her resting against him provided extra comfort, her light weight giving him a sense of security and ease, moving one arm to wrap around her so that he could hold her close to him. He let his fingers trace light patterns along her back, and he smiled when he heard her say the lyrics to their song.

"I believe so." He answered her. "Somewhere out there is our hill with a tree. Maybe it won't exactly be a hill with a tree, but it'll be a place just as beautiful and grand. Made especially for us. We won't have to abide by hierarchy or listen to anyone but us. We can marry who we want, love who we want, and no one can say otherwise. The world around us will be so beautiful and meaningful, there'll be laughter and song, a bright sunny day for us each and every day. When we decide that we want to dance in the rain, it will rain! We'll have our tree with emerald leaves, branches stretching high to the sky, where we can climb and climb where no one can find us. One day Audrey... One day."

And he believed it too. Weither it was a tree on a hill, a house on an island, or simply a little shack, it didn't matter. There was a place for just the two of them, where they could be free and happy, to be just themselves. There had to be, just like everyone had their own little place of joy and happiness somewhere, there was one for him and Audrey as well. He looked at her now, his fingers gently tracing a pattern of a tree along her back, stretching it's branches out far. Taking in a small breath, he began to sing their song softly, creating a little lullaby for her to fall asleep to.

"Down in the meadow there's a tree I know
Whose branches grow and grow
With every good deed done
From every daughter and son,
This tree do I know.

It's branches stretch to the heavens above

It reminds me of the ones I love
It's bark is pure as can be
Oh won't you sing with me,
Of this tree that I know.

It bears the greatest fruits

It's like a beautiful flute
When the wind blows through it's leaves
It will never decieve,
Not this tree that I know.

Leaves that are emerald green
It's a full beautiful scene
Standing right there on the tallest hill
It has the strongest will,
This tree that I know.

Caressing the wind
Golden sap within
I'll base nothing but a whim
That this tree is free of sin,
Oh this tree that I know."

• Love
Reactions: Lillian Gray
Prim and Proper, #6cb031

In a few days time, Audrey was back to a decent standing in terms of her health. Her radiant smile, practiced as always, shone through enough to disguise the pain she felt at each day's end, knowing that it meant they were one day closer to the wedding she feared. The maids were allowed back inside her room as soon as she gave the word, but that didn't stop her from having lunch each day, precisely at noon, with Vale. Her excuse was that Vale had always been at her side, and it felt odd to not have seen him for so long. Like any man going too long without seeing a dog, or a friend, it was only natural to allow the noble girl what she wanted after explaining her reasons. She simply missed seeing the slave boy's face, and that was enough reason for anyone to believe her.

Lady Nicole and Lady Mia, whose faces Audrey almost seemed to have forgotten in the mix of events, showed up in the late afternoon with an offer Audrey simply couldn't refuse. They had invited Prince Marcellus, as well as his fiancee, which only meant it was assumed Benjamin would come along. Vale would have to be forgotten, it was to be between nobles only, a proper afternoon tea Lady Mia had chirped. They'd serve themselves, and the ladies giggled at how absurd the notion was. Ladies, serving themselves tea without so much as a chaperone to tell them to fold their napkins.

Audrey rolled her eyes, the absolute horror.

They dragged her out in her Sunday best, a pale blue number which rolled down to the floor in heaps of lace and chiffon. It was too warm for the outdoors, something proper she might have worn inside for a small gala, but the two ladies insisted she looked her best. There was really no reason other than the girls wanting to fawn over Audrey's wardrobe.

Lady Bailey seemed enamored with Marcellus, now that the man had secretly decided to pamper her after his revelation. They sat along a white bench just so they could be at each other's side. Audrey might have found it sweet if not for the disgusting creature nearby. She need not say his name, but, she put on a smile and went to sit at the Lord Taylor's side, as was expected of her.

"Hello, Lord Taylor." She said quietly, so as not to interrupt the sudden babble from Ladies Mia and Nicole. "I apologize for my illness, it had taken more out of me than I would've liked. It is most wonderful to see you ag-"

"Lady Audrey!" Nicole suddenly shouted. "I heard a rumor this evening about Prince Marcellus, that he's the hands of a healer!"

Audrey laughed at her outburst, as did Marcellus nearby. It was a preposterous thing to say about a man, that his hands were healing hands, especially since they didn't have a kind of need for anyone with special powers. They had women for medicine, yes, and apothecaries to make special brews for the elderly most commonly, but the Prince was an ordinary man, born into an incredible family.

"And where did you hear that?" Marcellus inquired, a smile still played on the edge of his lips.

"Well, they say they saw you go into the Lady Audrey's room, and when you left, she was better the next morning! You braved her illness to heal her." The two ladies sighed happily over the idea. Audrey gave a look to Marcellus that suggested she only wanted to laugh at how stupid it sounded.

"Ah, yes, Marcellus is so brave." Audrey snickered. The girls were all the more oblivious to her taunt. "I am feeling much better."

"And I also heard another rumor!"

So it would be a lunch of rumors and hearings, Audrey thought, as she sat back in the chair to prepare herself for an awkward lunch.

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
Benjamin did not have a very grand time the past week, and it had soured his mood deeply, even more so than usual. Every since that slave boy's charade, he had been a laughing stock in the whole castle, every servant and noble laughing about him. Well the servants wouldn't laugh in front of him of course, but Benjamin knew that they were laughing secretly, while his fellow noblemen would joke and tease him. All because he chased a slave boy through the castle, and the boy had made a fool out of him, something the nobles will never forget. However the jokes had lightened and most were getting bored of it, though there would be the occasional snicker or a chuckle, which still infuriated Benjamin. Not only that but his fiancee had been locked in her bedroom again, sick. Why was it that she was always sick? He better not have a weak and fragile wife, for he had quite enough of locked doors and, 'Forgive me Sire, m'lady is not well' nonsense. Not that he desired to be near her with such disease.

Although on this day he was in a better mood than he had been, but it was still pretty sour, though who could ever tell with him? He found the invitation to tea annoying rather than refreshing, but he didn't refuse and accepted instead, for it was finally a time where he could be with Audrey for the first time since she had become sick. He stayed seated as Audrey moved forward and sat down beside him, beginning to give the apology he deserved, but was interrupted by Lady Nicole. She was a rather noisy character, which irritated Benjamin, since the only voice he would rather hear talking would be his own. But he let it slide and didn't bother Audrey with an answer, which was very unlike him, being one to remark something at all times. But he simply leaned back in his seat, eyes glancing away from all others, his mind going deep into thought.

Rumors. That's what the ladies have subject themselves to. Was that all they could talk about? The things about rumors was that it's usually never true, just facts taken from a simpler tale that people would just take and make more complicated. He had no interest in the sort of thing. However.... There was one thing that he found quite curious. He had heard that this 'Vale' character had been dining with his fiancee for lunch every day, a mere slave dining with a noble, simply because Audrey 'missed' him. If that were so, then why hadn't she asked Benjamin to dine with her? She hadn't seem him in over a week, yet she never called for him or wished to share a meal, and he was her husband-to-be. So why a slave?

In fact he's noticed that this slave had been with her practically every day no matter what, constantly there beside her side, and even recalled seeing him himself the times he would go to see Audrey. He never thought about it before, but now... This was very strange. He could possibly understand Audrey having a favorite, but he was still just a slave, and dining with one was simply barbaric. To choose a slave over a noble husband. That just won't do. There was something strange going on here, and he didn't like it, turning his head slightly to catch Audrey in the corner of his eye.

He then cleared his throat as he lifted his cup of tea, dropping two cubes of sugar inside it and began to stir it slowly. "You know, I've also heard a rumor." He began. "This slave of your's... Vale, is it? I believe I have seen him quite a few times, or more like whenever I have come to see you, Audrey."

He lowered his spoon and took a sip of his tea, before continuing to speak. "I've heard that he has 'dined' with you as well these past few days. Now I know that some of us have our favorite slaves, preferring them over others, but... Well call me naive, but I believe to find your relationship with your slave a bit..." He moved his eyes towards her, those gray orbs as hard and dull as rocks. "Unhealthy."

He watched her carefully, looking for any twitch or nerve he might have popped, waiting to see her reaction. He was quite fed up with this slave, and no one made a fool out of him and got away with it, that was for sure. He didn't like how this slave seemed to be getting more time with Audrey than he was, finding it odd that she would allow such time with a lowly slave than her own husband, even if they weren't married yet. There had to be something else, something there he wasn't seeing, whatever it may be.

• Love
Reactions: Lillian Gray
Prim and Proper, #6cb031

Audrey only smiled, albeit rather awkwardly. Marcellus raised an eyebrow towards his cousin, one that surely might have been mistaken for either shock or mistrust, either way, it was the reaction Benjamin might have needed in order to be set off. If only he turned his head to see the Prince's face, that was.

"What can I say?" Audrey sipped at her tea a moment while her head raged with excuses to tell him off with.

It was a good enough explanation for the rest of the family, that she was playing favorites, Vale was a toy she enjoyed more than the others. Most nobles could understand that. Even her father had his own favorites, young girls with the same chestnut colored hair as her mother. It brought him comfort in a way, while knowing that they weren't really Helen. Audrey wanted to say something of the like, but there was no one she could say Vale reminded her of, that is, unless she related their eyes. Benjamin and Vale had the same peculiar silver colored eyes, a rather rare trait among even the upper class.

"I mean you no disrespect, however, there's something about the appearance of him." Audrey set down her cup and prepared herself for the words that were about to come out of her mouth. It would either be flattering for the noble, or incredibly disrespectful. "You both have the same eyes, and your hair is just as dark. I only wished to have your company without infecting you, you see. Now that I'm well, I would be more than happy to dine with you instead."

Vale is going to be upset about that though. Audrey thought sadly. I promised him, and now I'm going back on my word.

"They do look a little alike." Lady Mia spoke up. She threw a few of her black curls behind her shoulder in an elegant motion. "The dark hair, the eyes, but that Vale boy, isn't he the one with the nasty scar?"

"That's right." Lady Nicole. She traced a line across her face, the same spot where the tender flesh had been carved on Vale's. "Goes this way, it does. Looks awfully painful, I wonder what happened to the poor boy?"

Audrey placed a pale hand on Benjamin's. His was hard an unwelcoming in comparison, even as white as she was. Her illness had not entirely faded, as there was always a sickness in the back of her mind upon remembering her fate, engaged to a royal fool with a bit of coin to his name. A harsh fate, yes, but there was a possibility yet she could avoid it, if only she knew how. The wedding was still a month or two off, that was enough time to make the Lord think her unfit without dishonoring her name.

"You see, I truly meant you no offense. I only wished to save you from my own sickness."

"Maybe they're brothers. Audrey seems to like them both." Lady Nicole snickered. That did not help the situation. Marcellus shot the Lady a look which killed, her chuckles stopped as she realized it could have been taken for an insult. Audrey would only be on the receiving end, the Prince knew that, but the fair Ladies Nicole and Mia did not.

"M-my Lord, she only jests." Audrey stuttered. "You know I wished not to make you ill. Don't you?"

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
Benjamin frowned deeply at this answer. She simply kept the slave around because he looked like him? He didn't think Vale looked like him at all. For one thing he was constantly covered in dirt, and he smelled, plus he was just a mess. A constant mess. Yet she still enjoyed the boy's company, and though he still didn't like the idea, the thought that she only did it because of appearance similarities made him feel a bit better. He wasn't paying much attention to the prince or anyone else, his eyes remaining on Audrey as he mulled this information around in his head for a bit, still not entirely sure if he liked it or not.

However any chance of accepting it was thrown right out the moment the good Lady Nicole opened her mouth, and in a split second, Benjamin's pale face was red with fury. He turned his head away from Audrey to look towards the two ladies. "Brothers? Brothers?! Imagine, I, a brother to a slave!"

He shot up, slamming his hands on the table. "How dare you make such a jest! I would rather be related to a mangy dog than the swine who scrubs my floors. These servants are lower than the specs of dirt they clean or wear on their skin, I will not have such talk of this 'Vale' looking anything like me."

He sat back down, the red fading from his face though he was still clearly insulted, scoffing as he lifted his cup of tea once more. "Looking like me. Please. Anyone can have the same color hair, but his is messy and riddled with dirt and sweat, while mine is shining and groomed. His eyes stay low to the ground while mine look down upon the likes of him. There may be similarities, but Vale will never be anything like me."

Suddenly his mood seemed to change, looking down at his cup as he took in a new, calm demeanor. Looking thoughtful as he stared down at his reflection in the brew. "However... There seems to be things I don't know about him, like why he is your favorite, Audrey." He glanced at her. "And perhaps there are some...similarities. I hear the maids talk that you make such a fuss over him, and I've heard stories..."

He smiled that fake smile of his, masking the true cold intentions he had. "Why not lend him to me for a day? If this slave is your favorite, I would assume that you'd wish to bring him with us once we're wed and we move to my castle, which will soon be our castle." He tilted his head as if to look innocent, but all knew he was anything but. "It will give me a chance to see if he is really suited to serve a princess of your stature."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031

"I must interject." Marcellus stirred his own cup of tea. Audrey had a hinting suspicion he hadn't ever taken a sip, he wasn't one for the beverage in the first place, not unless it was well stirred with sugar. "Do remember your place Lord Taylor, calm your temper."

Audrey gasped at her cousin. Who was he to tell off the already irritable man? She looked back and forth between the two, hoping it wouldn't be cause for a new argument. On the off chance it were, Audrey would need to intervene as the only soul connected to Benjamin in some way. Sure, he most likely detested the sight of her face, but she was still his fiancee, and it would be in bad taste to ignore her entirely.

"Marcellus, it's quite alright, Lady Nicole..." Audrey tried to play off her husband to be's anger.

"No, Audrey, it's rather unacceptable." Marcellus unwrapped himself from Bailey and his tea. The look on his face was unpleasant, a bit of anger in his eyes as he saw the fury firsthand with Lord Benjamin Taylor. "To see my cousin, my own flesh and blood, to be married to someone with a temper like yours?"

"Please, Marcellus." Audrey removed her hands from Benjamin's. Already, she was fearful of what might follow. Benjamin had always been angry, but would he go so far as to lash out on Audrey? It would be the perfect time to find out.

"No, Lord Taylor, you are not only in the presence of two nobles, but three ladies as well. Mind your tongue, or keep it in your mouth. Either way, I am the Prince, and I demand a little respect."

Last edited: