Royal Pain

Underdog, #2B3856
Vale could feel her warmth seep through him despite the chill that began to fill the air from the dipping sun on the horizon that could be seen through the windows, though Vale was vaguely aware of the late hour, his only focus and concern being Audrey. Indeed, he did have other chores to attend to, but they did not matter to him at the moment. Nor did he fear of being punished for not doing them. He could take anything, there was nothing that these nobles could do to make him leave Audrey's side in her time of need, nothing at all. His place was right here with her. No one would tell him otherwise.

When she gave him her order, he could only smile and had to hold back a chuckle. She had no need to order him. He would gladly do so, no matter what, even if he had to fight Benjamin and the whole noble household for his right to stand by her side. However...something else pained him most of all. The very fact that she would be married to another man, had stabbed his heart worse than the day of his parents' deaths. Hurt worse than the scar on his face. He was surprised by the sudden pain inside him, the sudden urge to hide in a dark corner and weep the ache and sorrow that was running through him at the thought that she wouldn't be his.

The sneaky thought made him pause in stunment. His? His... Yes, there was no denying what he wanted, and that was her. He did not want her to marry that smugged noble, but to marry...to marry... Him. Such thoughts were against the rules, nay, the laws. The very notion of a slave thinking of marrying a noble was out of the question, and was severely punished for it, perhaps even killed. He had no right to think of such things... But that didn't stop such things from entering his mind.

When she pulled away from him, he stood by the doorway and watched her go to the bed, laying down at an awkward angle. Though not like he was going to tell her the correct way to lay on a bed. He only watched her sadly, seeing the grief inside her with every step she took, with every movement of her hands. Then he watched as one lifted towards him, before the second followed, and he heard her words. He needn't hear any more.

He closed the door, not wanting anyone to find them and disturb Audrey, praying that they can somehow avoid any confrontation from anybody. To just be alone for a while. He walked along the floor over to her, gently sitting on the bed and leaned down onto his side so that he faced her, using his elbow to prop himself up. He reached forward, taking her hands gently in his, and pulled them close to his chest. He was close to her, very close, so close that if anyone walked in right now then it would be the cells for sure.

"I meant it." He said softly to her. "And I will keep it. Never will I leave you alone. I will always be with you, and no force on earth or beyond will ever stop me, even if I have to lift mountains and swim through fire. I'll be here, where I belong."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"All that for me?" Audrey smiled, and her eyes darted to the bed sheets.

Her hands rested on his chest, where he'd pulled them after she'd guided him to her side. She pulled lightly at the fabric of his shirt. When had it gotten so dirty? The girl frowned, working her hands around mysterious new stains and tears. It had been a while since she'd taken the time to help him wash. Had he not bothered to do it himself? Or had Vale been that busy with his chores and she hadn't noticed the grime which built up.

She yawned. Starlight bathed them now that the sun had gone. Audrey's eyes were closing fast and she couldn't help herself. Both cold and weary from her less than happy day, she found it best to be curled up as close as she could to Vale. His breath was warm against her skin when she came closer, pulling up her knees until she was a small ball against him. Her face was nuzzled into his neck, the rest of her that ball. Truly, she couldn't help it. Audrey felt like a missing puzzle piece against the curve of his chest.

"Is it...I don't mean to be a bother." She mumbled quietly. "I'm cold."

Audrey's eyes drooped shut and she slipped into a dreamy state.

There on the hilltop was a tree, golden sap and branches which reached into the sky and ever beyond. She swore that they never ended. It had been around longer than her, her father, and his before him. Planted and rooted so deep into the Earth, it could only absorb the sins of hell. It too could take the pain from Audrey. She sat at the base of the tree and rested her head against its thick bark. That's when the wind came through, and the chimes of the leaves, a deep emerald green, rustled all around her head. Audrey smiled. She found some bit of comfort there.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: DekuNightFury
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale was still as she moved her hand over his chest, watching her hand move along the cheap fabric of his dirty shirt, his heart beating a little faster at her touch. He was never good at keeping track of his health or hygiene, being far too busy with chores and other duties. He felt her move closer to him, and he made no move to stop her, her own warmth fighting away the cold that had started to creep up his body. He allowed himself to settle down completely on his side, and as she curled her body into a ball, he slowly moved his arms around her. He held her close, his arms embracing her into their own cucoon, holding her against his body as if he were some kind of barrier. Blocking away the outside world and keeping her trap in their own little world.

He listened to her soft words, and he smiled down at her, his hand gently beginning to move to stroke her back. "Sleep." He simply whispered to her, not having a care in the world that she was curled up against him. In fact, he couldn't be happier.

There in a bedroom amonst the many rooms of the manor, a mistress and her servant lay in the dark night, keeping eachother warm by their bodies alone. Once he heard her gentle breathing, he could tell that she had drifted off to sleep, and allowed his own eyes to close. Drifting off into blissful dreams where a beautiful woman was dressed in white, smiling at him with a smile brighter than the sun, and he in a fancy suit. They held each other's hands, moving closer and closer, till at last their lips met.

---
Vale was disrupted from his dreams by a distant call and a sudden bright light in his eyes. What the...? He struggled to pull himself out of his dream land, rising higher and higher to the surface of reality. He opened his eyes, blinking them a few times, waiting for them to adjust to the light. Where was he...? He wasn't in his rickity boarded bed, and this wasn't his small room. No, the matress beneath him was soft like a cloud, and the room was well clean and beautiful. Where the heck was he?

Hearing soft breathing beside him, he turned his gaze to the figure resting against him, and instantly the memories came flooding back. That's right... He had fallen asleep with Audrey in his arms. He smiled down at her, lifting a hand to brush strands of hair from her face. She looked so peaceful sleeping there next to him... The sun making her skin glow, even in her sleep, and her hair was still in long shining locks. Well kept and beautiful.

"Audrey!" Once again, Vale was disturbed by that distant call, and he paused what he was doing to listen.

"Audrey! Come out this instant! How dare you make me wait!"

Vale's body froze, but at the same time, his blood began to boil. It was Benjamin. But why...? Vale glanced outside, just realizing that it was daylight. Damn, they had slept all through the night. The whole manor must be in a panic looking for her by now, and it was only a matter of time before Benjamin walked through that door to find them. If they were caught, there was no telling what he might do.

He quickly began to shake Audrey awake, but his touches were still gentle and not so forceful, despite the urgency of the situation. "Audrey, you have to wake up." He whispered to her, though he kept enough of an urgent tone in his voice to hopefully rouse her faster.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
The leaves rustled against her skin, and Audrey beamed from behind their cover. Vale sat at her side clad in a suit of the deepest black, an accenting white collar peeked from beneath the coat. He looked stunning, vastly different from the rags he usually wore. She peeked out from behind a low hanging branch, giggling as her eyes searched for the servant boy she'd grown to love over the years.

Suddenly, he was gone.

"Vale?" Out loud, outside the dream, it was only a halfhearted groan. Within her own head it was a curious cry. "Where are you?"

Her eyes searched for the black suit, unable to locate Vale again. Another voice made its way to her safe haven, and her ears strained to listen. The harder she tried, the more the world around her faded, until the tree in the meadow, atop the grassy hill, was a blur of green and brown. The sun was blotted out and gave no hints as to what was around her. Further and further, she drifted away from the hill until her eyes cracked open to Vale's soft hand on her shoulder.

"Audrey, you have to wake up." He whispered.

"Why?" She half giggled half groaned in response.

Benjamin's voice reached her ears then. That's why she had to wake up, to avoid an awkward situation like him. Audrey bolted straight up out of the bed, nearly knocking into Vale's nose. It was bleeding, she hadn't noticed it the previous night and she wondered if it had been that way the whole time. Another day, she told herself, questions later. She jumped out of bed and scrambled to get out the door, a small mirror near the doorway caught her attention. A girl in a white dress, with no shoes, and a bad case of bed head met her gaze. Audrey couldn't leave the room like that!

She helped herself to the wardrobe, and found an over sized robe. It was thick, the color of ivory, and draped well past her feet. If she played it right she'd be able to hide her disheveled appearance. Audrey shifted beneath the robe until she was good and covered. Benjamin was likely to believe she had only just woken up, even if her own room was halfway across the castle floor. Luckily, she did reside there on the second floor, it just happened to be in the West wing, and not the East where they resided.

"Hide!" Audrey hissed at Vale. "He can't find you in here with me, if he does. Go, I'll, find a way to lead him away. I don't want you to get in trouble for me Vale."

Audrey hesitated at the door. She really had to go, but her parting would have been rude without some measure of thanks. Quickly, Audrey pecked her lips against his cheek and then was gone in a flash to hunt down the good Lord Benjamin Taylor.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale's eyes widened when she suddenly bolted up out of bed, moving his head back just in time before she hit his already injured nose, rolling onto his back as she stood up and made her way to the door. He had to admit, she sure could get her mind working quickly and set it going in a certain direction when she needed to. He stood up as well, unsure of what he must do. While she was doing her best to hide her gown with a robe, Vale caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror as well.

Dirty cheap rags, messy hair, dust covered skin, his scar and a bloody nose... He was a downright mess. It was no wonder nobles looked at him with distaste and disgust, but whose fault was that? It wasn't like he could afford extra clothes or had the time to wash the ones he had on. He had actually forgotten about his bloody nose, but the blood had dried about now, so even as he tried wiping it away, there was still blood stains there. He cursed low at himself.

When Aurdrey came back to him and warned him to hide, his eyes were already darting around the room, looking for possible places that he could hide himself. Quickly, what was the best way to hide? However, all his thoughts were completely knocked right out of his skull when she kissed him on the cheek, the skin instantly growing hot as a faint pink of blush filled his cheek, staring after her running form. He hadn't expected that.... He felt like his heart was singing, and that if he jumped, he would suddenly be floating in midair.

He snapped himself out of it. No, he didn't have time to day dream. Quickly now, he dove under the bed, the easiest place to get to without disturbing anything. Besides, nobels were too afraid to get their hands and pants dirty to kneel on the floor.

The Nobleman, #29062e
Audrey did not go very far, for the instant she ran out the door, she had run straight into Benjamin.

"There you are!" He cried, his british accent heavy as he stared down at her as if she had just put a dead rat in his soup. "Is this how you plan to treat your new husband-to-be? Hm? I think not. I expected you to be showering me with praise for taking a bride such as you, or at least show that you are grateful. But running off without so much as a word to me, after just hearing of our engagement? How insulting!"

After he was finished with his outburst, he paused a moment to fully take in his bride's appearance, just noticing it. Now he gave a look as if she had sprinkled dead bugs over his dead rat. "What have you been up to? Looking like this at such an hour, are you only just awakening? It's far passed the hour, you should have been up hours ago."

However, something just dawned on him. He looked passed her at the room where she had just come from, and his frown deepened. Was this.... The guest room? Why on earth had she been sleeping in a guest room? This made no sense... Just what kind of Noblewoman was she? To be acting in such a manner, it was ridiculous! She should not be acting in such a way!

"What have you been doing in there?" He asked, pointing to the room behind her. "That is no place for a lady such as yourself to sleep. And all the way here in the East wing, when your bedroom is in the West wing! Do you switch rooms every night or something? I hope this is something you don't plan on doing once we're wed. I plan on sharing only one bed with my bride, if you please."

It was then that something else caught his eye, and he moved passed her to kneel at the doorway. "Is this....blood? Why is there blood on the floor?"

Yes, there, on the stone floor, was blood from the night before when Vale had hurt his nose. It was only small droplets, but it was big enough to be noticable. Glancing up, Benjamin saw that a trail of it lead into the bedroom. He stood up and followed it, frowning as he stood within the room and walked over to the bed, where Vale hid just underneath it. Benjamin curled his lip in disgust, even seeing some of the blood on the sheets.

"Why is there blood everywhere? Have you been bleeding?" He turned to look at her. "Just what exaclty has been going on in here?

Last edited:
Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"I-I fear I had a terrible headache, my nose started to bleed, I felt faint." Audrey made up the lie quickly as she could. "I'd been feeling ill most of the morning and thought it might be rude to ignore my father's request to visit with him. I meant you no disrespect."

Audrey bowed her head forward, lowering her stance slightly without sticking either of her feet behind the other. It was the best form of a curtsy she could manage without slipping out from beneath her robe. If he saw the same dress as the night before, it would turn into a more serious matter. Although, she could feign the illness a while longer, see how daft Benjamin was. However, he would likely inform her family of the sudden sickness and she'd be bedridden for days until it was figured out. She did not want to be caught in a lie, but she had to do it, for Vale's sake. They'd hang him if he were accused of sleeping with nobility, that much she knew. It was a careful game she played with Lord Benjamin Taylor, and she hoped he'd be a bad player.

"Please, it is my utmost pleasure and joy to know that I am betrothed to a Lord such as yourself." Audrey placed her hands gently on Benjamin's chest, feigning a look of adoration as she started up into his eyes. They looked to be a pale silver, and in the coming morning she couldn't see anything but anger in them. He seemed furious to know that instead of at his side, she'd been off sleeping alone in a strange part of the castle. "Come, I'll return to my room and dress in something more pleasing to your tastes, I can show you around the castle if you like, or we could have tea with Sir Humphrey out on the grounds. How does that sound?"

She let her hands fall to his and tried to lead him back out the door. Somewhere, Vale was hiding inside the room, and she'd be damned if Benjamin found him inside. It would have been one thing to find them sleeping in the same bed, another to find him hiding after the fact. Hiding made him look guilty, even if he wasn't. It was still better than the alternative.

Inwardly she wanted to vomit. The false words she spewed from her mouth tastes funny on her tongue. She had to do it in order to keep Vale safe, and to satisfy the wishes of her father. Audrey at least had to pretend to love the man she was betrothed to until she could figure something out. She had at least until the wedding, that much she knew. Knowing her father it would take some months to orchestrate if she was lucky. He'd want it to be grand, this was his oldest child's wedding after all, the first engagement of his children. It still terrified her to know that she could slip up, and end up with the horrible man until the ends of her days. She'd have children with him, name them after their relatives, and pretend to be the happiest family. They'd never have that, not so long as Audrey had her tongue to speak up for herself.

She smiled when he didn't follow right away, the nasty grin Vale knew was fake the moment he saw. Her lips didn't part, and her eyes stayed narrow, with the effect of looking too shy to grin.

"Are you coming, my Lord?"

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
Benjamin had looked at her with suspicion the entire time, eyes narrowed with his nose in the air, and hands on his hips. It was like he was the perfect statue for looking down at anyone beneath him. The suspicious look lightened a bit when she had mentioned being ill, and in fact looked a bit alarmed when she explained that her nose began bleeding after a splitting headache, not very good signs at all. Was she contagious? She certainally didn't look so ill now... Though she hadn't looked ill the other day as well, and yet this sickness had suddenly hit. Actually, now that he thought about it... She had grown quite pale and looked to be sick after their wedding was announced. Did it truly hit that fast?

Still, none of it seemed to add up, and he was about to call her out on his suspicions when she stepped up to him and placed her hands on his chest. Looking down into her adoring blue eyes, temptation and desire became his weakness, and all suspicions died down. To have his wife-to-be look at him so adoringly fed his ego, and pleased his fancies. After all, what reason was there to fake illness? It was a very serious thing, especially to nobility. Only to servants got sick, such slimy creatures and dirty, the nobility were immune to the common illnesses. So perhaps this matter was to be taken seriously and soon before it grew any worse. He'd be damned if anything were to happen to his fiancee before the wedding.

He was still thinking about this even as she pulled away and tried to lead him to the door, but hadn't budged. He finally snapped back to reality when she had addressed him, looking over at him expectantly as she stood by the doorway. He recalled her asking him if he would like to have tea with whatwashisname or some other thing. He hadn't really been paying attention.

"Nonesense." He answered, following her to the door, all interest in the room lost. "If you are ill, it must be treated to immediately, and being outside will only worsen your condition. We should have you checked."

He took her arm in his, leading her out of the guest room and down the hallway. "We will take you to your room and I'll have a nurse fetched. Your condition sounds serious if your nose were to bleed from such an awful headache. You're father will want to know of your condition as well."

Underdog, #2B3856
Vale had to keep from gagging as Audrey became her fictional character, faking her smiles and spitting out lies from her mouth, a costume that only he saw as it truly was. Just a costume. When he was listening to Benjamin's earlier whining and thinking of himself so highly, Vale had to resist the urge to crawl out from under the bed and punch the guy. How dare he speak so little to Audrey. How she kept her cool and went on with her act, he would never know, but he admired her for it. She played it off very well. His heart had almost stopped when Benjamin had spotted the blood and came walking in, but like always, Audrey had charged in and saved him. To do so she had to kiss up to Benjamin, which made Vale feel both sick and guilty. She would do anything to keep him from getting caught and getting into trouble... He had gotten away with many punishments in the past because of her.

He waited patiently, listening to everything going on, clenching and unclenching his fists. He wanted to reveal himself badly and tell the snotty noble off, but if he were caught, then that was it. No amount of explaining or protests from Audrey would save him. They had been in the same room, Audrey was wearing the same gown from yesterday, and Vale had been hiding. It would all point to the unthinkable, and the nobles wouldn't have it. It would be his life for sure.

So he remained where he was and bit his tongue, waiting for the two to leave. Soon he heard their footsteps fade out of the room, and heard their voices grow quieter and quieter, till all was silent. He waited a moment more, just incase, then finally pulled himself from out under the bed. He went to the door, glancing out and peered down both hallways, but saw no sign of Audrey or Benjamin. Good. Knowing that they would be heading down to the West wing, he set off down the opposite direction, turning off one corner and went down a flight of stairs. He knew where to go. In fact he might know these halls better than most nobles, ironically. He had been exploring this place all his life, and knew where almost everything was.

He'll have to clean himself up then go and try to meet up with Audrey again. If everyone really did buy into her sickness act, then her father would probably want him by her side 'caring' for her. He smiled at that thought. It was perfectally fine by him.

Last edited:
Prim and Proper, #6cb031
Audrey accepted his arm until they arrived at her room. She was led instead, where she met a maid who fluffed her pillows. The woman smiled amiably towards the pair before she bowed her head low. Audrey told her to rise, and she did. "I'm not feeling well, Lord Taylor has done me the kindness of showing me back to my room."

"A fine thing, yes. Very kind." The woman agreed. "Come, I'll help you change into something more comfortable."

Audrey pulled out of Benjamin's grasp with feigned reluctance. She gave him a sad smile, hoping that he'd only see her as sick and frail instead of cunning and untruthful. Her skin had paled some, but it was more out of the shock of waking to hear his voice just down the hall. The fear she felt was more for Vale, and less so for her supposedly ill self. It only served to help the lie, feed the flames and add to the deceit.

The maid and Lady stepped behind a screen. The woman pulled the ivory robe from Audrey before giving her an odd look. It was the same dress she'd helped her into a day prior, and by the looks of it, she'd dirtied it up. The edges were brown with soil, and a few smudges of blood were on one of the shoulders. Audrey placed a hand on the woman's shoulder and gave her an awkward smile.

"I fear I was too ill to return last night, please, don't tell Lord Taylor. He would only worry for my health." Audrey pleaded with the maid in a hushed tone.

She gave a nod after hesitating. Her position was difficult indeed, having to lie to a Lord was hard. Only, another Lady had commanded it, so she'd have to agree. At the very least, the maid wouldn't have to tell Lord Taylor she was still wearing the beautiful white dress her father had bought for the girl. That made the lie easier, but didn't take away the identity of what it was. An outright lie.

Audrey emerged from behind the screen wearing a simple pale green nightgown. It was one of the colors of her house, and it complimented her hair beautifully. She was ushered into bed by the maid, who hardly said a peep the whole time. There was nothing more to do than play the part of a sick girl, something she'd done many times before as a child. She'd gotten better over the years at faking it of course, practice made her more aware of which symptoms her father had a hard time believing.

"Good woman, where is Vale?" Audrey asked quietly. "He was supposed to be here, to, to change my flowers."

"Aye, your father'll send for him once he finds out your ill. Probably best someone stays with you."

Last edited:
The Nobleman, #29062e
Benjamin stepped aside as Audrey's maid helped the lady out of her clothes and into some fresh ones behind the screen. Of course he looked towards the screen, his expression hiding the fact that he was most curious of the body behind it, but he wouldn't dare try to sneak a peek. He was of nobility, and to be accused of such pervy acts were unnacceptable, but it was alright. Soon they will be wed, and he would have all rights to her body, including the rights that came with her nobility and family line. Despite what others might think, he had no love for her, except maybe only lust if that counted. All he cared for was her title, her body would just be a bonus, but he would not be the adoring husband she may think he will be.

Once Audrey was in bed and spoke to the maid about someone named Vale-he never took the time to know the servants' names-he stepped towards the bed. "I will go and alert your father of your condition." He said. "He'll want to know right away."

He then faked his own smile, placing a gentle and caring hand on her leg, but it was false. "Do get better soon, Lady Audrey." With that, he turned on his heel and stalked out of the room and down the hall, just glad to get out of the responsibility to care for her till she got better.

Underdog, #2B3856
It took a good hour and a half before Vale finally peeked his head through the doorway, peering into Audrey's room. Seeing her laying on the bed, he walked in the rest of the way and closed the door silently behind him. The blood was gone from his nose, his bed hair now groomed to the best of his abilities, and he had washed whatever dirt and grime he could from his skin. His clothes were a little cleaner as well, but he didn't have time to wash away the really hard stains, having needed to rush to Audrey's aid as soon as he got word from her father. He had been in the midst of washing his shirt when another servant came in, telling him that Lord Anton had summoned him to go and care for his ill daughter.

Of course Vale had faked being alarmed and worried, doing all he could to finish up with his work then rush straight here. Now, however, he was grinning wide from ear to ear. He couldn't help it. He walked over to Audrey's bedside, and after making sure that they were the only ones there, he reached a hand over and pressed the back of his hand to her forehead.

"Shall I fetch a cold rag for your splitting headache?" He asked. "Or perhaps a bucket to hold the blood for your bloody nose? Or better yet, how about a paperbag so that you may pull it over Sir Benjamin's head so that you'll refrain from throwing up after looking at his ghastly looks. And a rag to stuff down his throat so that your ears won't bleed from his constant jabble. I think that'll get you right back on yoru feet indeed."

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
She didn't mean to, but Audrey started to giggle. Quietly at first in case anyone was outside the door, until it turned into splitting laughter at his jests about Benjamin. Her sides hurt, and before she could stop it, she snorted. Audrey clapped a hand over her mouth and it only got worse, she snorted, laughed, and tried to keep herself under control. The laughter could have turned into hysteria at any moment, and she forced herself to be quiet, lest she begin to cry.

"How dare you speak of my good Lord husband that way." She mocked. "I shall report you to the King at once."

Beneath the covers of her own bed, Audrey felt warm and at home. Another day sitting inside was more or less what she was used to being a noble. The only reason she had to go outside was for a brief walk or to have a tea party. Very rarely, she was able to go into town on her own. This was of course provided she had a handful of guards going incognito at. At least inside no one would bother her. Audrey had a stack of novels at her side as well as a personal history of the family Taylor. It was a gift from Benjamin's mother, Dianne. She had stopped by not long after her son had left the room.

First, she offered her congratulations. It was a sweet gesture from the mother of such a brat. Dianne was a kindhearted old woman, with graying hair that had once been the color of amber. She seemed like she wanted to offer some form of advice, and when she lingered, Audrey didn't try to stop her. Then she was gone. Deep in her heart, the woman had wanted to offer some words on how to deal with her son. She knew. Shew knew what he was like after having raised him off her own breast, but nothing was said.

Audrey lifted a hand to Vale's face and cupped his cheek. His nose was no longer bleeding, but it looked raw. Confused, she asked, "What did you do to your nose? It was bleeding."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
At the sound of her cute giggle, Vale's grin grew, then when she went into a fit of laughter he couldn't help himself but join her. Her laughter forced his out, and just like she was, he tried to contain it. Lifting a hand to his mouth to at least try to muffle it. But it was all in vain. All the either could do was stand/sit there and laugh, and upon Audrey's own words, Vale began to laugh even harder.

"Yes yes! Report to the king!" He continued. "May he reward me for finally shutting up his son, and for relieving the whole country of ever seeing his face!" He laughed on, tears starting to form in the corner of his eyes.

When she snorted, that finally did him in completely. He fell to his knees, arms over the bed's edge as he buried his face into the sheets to keep his laughter from ringing out, a fist repeatedly banging on the matress, easily taking all his blows without so much as a single movement. Nobility had to have their backs on such comforts. He tried to calm himself, hardly able to breath, and having his face buried in the sheets didn't help that fact. When she continued to snort, she didn't help his situation at all, and he only continued to laugh harder and harder.

Finally, he forced himself to breath and calm down, taking deep breaths and wiped the tears from his eyes. It took a moment, a laugh escaping him now and then, but they grew less and less. At last he was free of the giggles, though he was still grinning wide, letting one last final breath out in a satisfying sigh. He grew surprised at the sudden soft touch on his cheek, and he glanced up to see Audrey look at him with a concerned expression on her face. She had mentioned his nose, and he bit his lip nervously. He didn't want to make her feel bad that she had slammed the door in his face...

"I bumped into something while chasing after you." He said, giving a light shrug as if it was nothing. "I wasn't paying attention." Well it was the truth, just not the whole truth.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Liar." She smirked. "I hit you with that door."

Audrey kept her pale hand on his cheek, her thumb traced along the edges of his scar. It was a peek into his past she dared not ask about. The scar was hideous, but she hardly noticed it any more. It was a part of Vale as he came and went throughout the daily rituals. Her hand was caught against the jagged edge of skin just above his jawline. She hesitated. It had to be awkward for someone like herself to be holding him so tenderly. Even if she was curious it wasn't her place to keep her hands around him.

"I'm sorry." She said quietly. It was both an apology for hitting him with a door, and an apology for her forward actions.

She leaned back against a mountain of pillows which sucked her into their embrace. That was one bonus of being a noble she supposed. All the pillows in the world, until she was bent forward on her own stomach. Audrey plucked one from her side and used it to rest her arms in front of her. It gave her something to do besides reach out and fondle Vale's face.

"Would you mind getting me that pitcher of water?" She requested politely. "I'm afraid the maid left it over there, and as you can see I'm a bit stuck."

Audrey was square in the center of her large bed, pillows and cushions surrounded her in the futile attempt to combat the supposed fever she had. Her head couldn't rest on the tall headboard behind her, as it usually did in the late hours as she tried to read by candlelight. Everything around her, it was all there to keep her warm and comforted. The several layers of down blankets left her roasting, her legs burned, but if she removed a single layer someone would return to tuck her back in. She'd take the cloth Vale offered, anything to dab off the beads of sweat on her forehead.

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Her touches were putting him in a trance, his eyes slowly closing as she carressed his face, the world melting away around him. He had to bite his tongue to keep from inhaling deeply when her thumb touched his scar, but not from pain, just the opposite. The skin was sensitive there now, and tingled at her touch, as if her thumb was soothing away the long ago pain. He grew very aware of where her thumb touched, following her movements, his body relaxing against the bed. She never really touched him like this before. He never knew that someone's touch could be so caring and gentle, so soft yet secured, taking away all his worries and fears.

He had no desire for her to stop, but he heard her faint apology and could feel her touch withdrawing, his eyes opening to see her sink back into her mountain of pillows. He opened his mouth to protest, to tell her that she didn't have to stop, but he caught himself. No... That wasn't proper of him. He had no place to tell her such things, and it would seem weird, even to Audrey. He couldn't just say, 'Keep touching my face.' It just wasn't natural.

Instead he smiled and stood back up on his feet. "Certainly Ma'dam." He spoke in his teasing little mannor. "Hopefully I'll still be able to find you after you've sunk down deep into your bed and pillows."

He turned and made his way over to the pitcher, grabbing the handle and lifted it up from it's place, then once again returned to Audrey's bedside. He poured her a glass of water, and seeing her begin to sweat, he set the pitcher by her bedside table. After giving her her cup, he left her side once more to retrieve a rag, wringing it in a bowl of water, then returned to her. He gave her the rag so that she may wipe away the sweat and try cooling herself off and he sat down beside her on the edge of the bed.

"They're going to end up killing you with all these blankets." He said a bit thoughtfully, running a hand over the thick covers.

He recalled many nights freezing to near death in his own room, especially during the winter. Those were the times Audrey would sneak away and bring him an extra blanket. She would even come early in the mornings when the servants were usually up, but the nobles continued to sleep away while their servants got everything ready for them before they ever cracked open an eyelid, and she would go straight to him with a hot bowl of soup. She would treat his upcoming cold before it ever set, saving him from any brutal sickness that might have befallen him if she hadn't. Then she would sneak away back to her bedroom before her father or anyone else would wake up. He smiled to himself at the memory. Maybe she didn't see it, but she always did take good care of him... He probably wouldn't have lasted this long if she hadn't. There were always new servants, they came and gone, but not him.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Oh, Vale, you don't have to do that." Audrey placed a hand over his to hold the towel in place. "You do enough, please, it'd make me so much happier if you sat down and did nothing, you poor overworked thing."

She chuckled softly before she forced his hands away from her. It wasn't what she desired though, his hand was just as soft against her own skin as she'd touched him before. If Audrey had her way, she wouldn't make him stop.

All the times she'd cared for him, it was all so pure. There was a year Vale had come down with a nasty disease, even Audrey had it. Noble or common, everyone came down with the sickness. It scared her father half to death, her mother had just passed, and her brother had been quarantined. He wasn't about to lose a second child over some mysterious illness. Still, she'd taken the time to make sure Vale survived. People died, Vale lived, and that's all that mattered in her thirteen year old mind.

"Vale?" She asked. "Do you remember, when you came down with that strange illness? Everyone did." Audrey smiled at the memory even though it was sad. "Every day, you sat like this, it's the only time I really got to take care of you. I was scared you were going to die."

Of all the things to remember, that had to be the worst though. Instead of a happy memory, like the first time they'd found a hidden passage or two, or when Audrey was blessed with a baby brother, she could only recall the times when she'd nearly lost him. It was hard to be a lowly servant. The Winter's were harsh, the Summer's brutal, and there she was, roasting beneath the heavy layers of down sheets.

"Isn't this terrible, I have to lay here all day and pretend to be sick, when you, you could use a warm bed like this." The heat started to make her really feel sick. The towel against her forehead filled with her own sweat, Audrey sighed. The room felt wrong now, and she fanned at herself with one of the many novels at her side. "It's just terrible."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale let out a huff of air when she had forced his hands away. "You're going to drown in your own sweat if I don't wipe them away." He said, and despite all her urgings not to, he continued to try to wipe the sweat anyway.

"Vale? Do you remember, when you came down with the strange illness?" She had asked.

He blinked down at her, surprised by the sudden bringing up of an old memory, and not-such-a-happy-one at that. He tilted his head curiously at her, wondering why she would bring up such a memory out of nowhere. Yes, he did remember such a dreadful time, but they were faded memories. He had been drifting in and out of conciousness at the time, constantly sleeping and fighting a fever, but every time he was awake he would see Audrey there beside him. Even though she had been sick too, she stayed and made sure he was well taken care of, always cooling off his head like he was doing to her now.

"I only remember getting to see you all the time." He said with a smile. There was no need to explain how horrible and sick he felt, those weren't very pleasant thoughts, so he stuck with the positive.

He saw her fanning herself with her hand and couldn't take it much more. With a role of his eyes, he reached over and grabbed the blankets, pulling them off of her. "There. I swear, this would be the perfect assassination trick." He kept only one layer of blanket over her, keeping the rest off. "I'm sure we can get away with keeping these off till someone comes in."

Suddenly a thought struck him. A very dangerous thought. A thought that shouldn't be thought. But maybe, just maybe, if they played this right then they could get away with it. He became silent for a moment, thinking it over, playing with the thought inside his head. It shouldn't even be said, but at last, he looked at her. His eyes were hard yet glowing, as if he were playing with fire that he only knew the secret as to how.

"Forget the bed." He said. "How about instead, you do your best to fake being so incredibly ill, that all leave you be to rest and won't bother you for a while. We have to make sure that they won't come in to check on you, and if they do, then they simply glance at the bed." He grinned. "We'll put some kind of dummy in your bed, making them think you're still resting, when really we'll be off and out going to town. A whole day just to goof off and explore whatever wonders out there. We'll have to disguise you of course, and me, and just get away from all these responsibilities for a while. If we play it right, then we could do it. You know just as much as I do how oblivious nobles are. We'll be gone and back before anyone discovers you went missing."

Why shouldn't they do this? He knew that this plan was dangerous, but never had they have a day just to themselves, and after the whole ordeal of the other day, he knew Audrey could take a day to just relax. And that didn't include roasting herself in a bed doing nothing but read.

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
The sheets were thrown from her and they brought a cool wave which rippled the edges of her nightgown. She was hardly decent, but she didn't cover herself. The pyramid of pillows scattered across the floor, each lighter than a feather as they dropped with a soft plop.

"Vale, you know just as well as I do that we can't do that!" Audrey gasped.

If she were caught, if either of them were caught, it'd be trouble for both of them. But the streets called to her like a siren to a lonely sailor's heart. She longed to be back in the square. Vale had taken her once before, and she was amazed at the complex system which ran there. The market in itself had trade as well as coin, good tidings as well as thievery. She never got to see how it all worked, and was taken aback that anyone had the decency to work for trade. That was a long time ago, but the magic of the lower class hadn't rubbed off. They worked hard, could self sustain whenever they needed simply because they all had a precious bond.

"No, I won't do it!" She clasped her hands over her mouth and shook her head, fair ringlets of a golden hue followed after in suit. "It's too risky."

Audrey pulled the covers back over herself and sank deep into the depths of heat. Baking in her room was far safer than going out into public, where the fanfare was constant, the streets loud...all the joy and laughter, the dancing in the streets simply because they could. Festivals were more joyous in the lower districts of Asellus, because they all had something the nobles didn't. They were always so happy.

"I'll stay here, you go, have a good day." She waved her hand towards the door and her face slipped into a frown. "I don't want Benjamin to know I was having fun."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
He stubbornly pulled the blankets back off of her. "To hell with Benjamin!" He snapped with more force than he meant to. "To hell with them all! Why shouldn't you have any fun? Why should you be forced to do what they tell you? You're of noble blood aren't you? You're supposed to do what you like!"

He took her hand that she had waved at them, his fingers wrapping around it and held her hand tightly, but made sure not to hurt her. "You have every right to go out and do what you want, but you're always forced to do whatever it is that your father tells you, or what Sir Benjamin tells you." He said the name with a hiss. "You fake smiles, you fake happiness, you fake everything. Why with how much going around being someone you're not to everyone, you're just as much a slave here as I am." He had spoken in anger, clearly upset and had accidently let it all slip from him.

Seeming to notice this, he took a deep breath to calm himself, placing his other hand over her's that he held. "I'm sorry." He said more calmly. "It's just that I'm tired spending every day only getting to see you for short moments when we sneak away, or when I'm supposed to 'tend' to you. We can never just be. To just be us or be free or be what we like. You know? Going there by myself won't be anywhere near as satifying or gratifying as going with you... It's the whole reason why I want to go. You deserve the freedom as much as I do.

"Just one day." He continued to plead, bringing her hand close to his chest. "That's all I ask. One day where we can be me and you. Where we can laugh and be how we used to be as small kids. Those are the memories I like... Those are the memories I treasure most, the memories I keep right here." He moved her hand to his heart, his silver eyes looking deeply into her's. "And all the happy memories with you since. Do you really want to make a memory of you spending the day in a hot bed, making yourself actually sick? Or do you want to take a chance and live?"

The corner of his lip tilted up into that all too familiar cocky smile, a matching glint right in his eye as he looked at her. "After all, what is living without risks and chances?"

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
A life without risk. It was the life she led, sitting pretty atop her pedestal of gold to be scrutinized by her fellow peers. Emerald eyes loomed down from high up in the Audoire family. Rubies glinted from below her, the Taylors had mischief in their heart and a firm grasp on what they wanted as their pillar grew taller with the talk of marriage. Every noble was safe atop of the gilded pillars they'd inherited from generations past. High walls which consisted of bloodlines and wealth were the only things which separated them from the common scum. Desperation showed in their eyes even from high up on her royal seat, they could make pillars of their own. Instead of gems and marbled columns, they had bones and ash to rise up with. Climbing atop the unstable structure proved fruitless, and they tumbled back down to stay in the places they were born. In filth in slime, the slums of the poor destined to a fate of poverty until the end of its days. There, atop their perch of wealth, the nobles were free to behold the very rabble they set themselves apart from. All the while, not a single drop of mud would kiss the bottoms of their boots.

If Audrey never climbed down from her own pedestal, her boots would stay clean, and the ash of the poor would never stain her hands. She could stay there, aye, but if that was her place in life then the distance would only grow between the ground and her own spot among the pillars. The fall would be all the harder when, and if, she came tumbling down from grace.

"Alright, I'll take your bet." Audrey peeled the last layer of the warmth from her body, throwing the sheet off to the side to join the messy pile of pillows on the opposite side of the bed. "Turn around would you, I need to change, I don't want you getting any ideas."

Vale was too modest for that. At most, their hands would briefly connect in a small moment of no real significance. Sure, they nursed each the other to health from time to time. Their spirits lifted each other, so long as one was happy, the other was as well. In a moment of clarity, Audrey may have recognized it as love, but she was busy with the fasteners on a small gray corseted top. Her fingers worked nimbly as they could so she could hurry and dash away with Vale by her side.

Benjamin had looked at her with only greed. She hadn't seen his eyes from behind the separating curtain, but they were there, watching her like a lion does its dinner. Audrey being the innocent doe eyed creature she was, had no idea the hunter was on the prowl.

"There's a cloak in the wardrobe, over there." Audrey motioned, "It's not marked, just silver, you can take that if you need."

She stepped out cautiously from behind the screen, first wrapping two hands around the edges to get a good peek around the corner at her guide on chances. Behind the curtain, her nightgown trailed out from the corset in soft wave of green, much like that of the pale grass beneath the snow just before Winter's coming. Small bits of life remained, but the color faded into the shade. She remembered to wear shoes, nothing more than flat leather bits of cloth wrapped around her feet to keep them covered.

"We'd better not get caught."

Last edited:
Underdog, #2B3856
Vale grinned in victory when she pulled the covers away and stood up to go dress. "Don't flatter yourself." He had teased from her comment.

However, he wasn't sure if that was true. His feelings for Audrey were very complicated at the moment, but did he really think about her in a sexual way? He never had such dirty thoughts, no, wouldn't even dream of it. To have such night fancies was downright dirty. But... Unlike Benjamin, Vale turned completely away as she changed behind her screen, his back to her and he kept his eyes on the wall. He became vaguely aware that she was naked just behind him, and his cheeks had grown hot at the thought. But he pushed the thoughts away, waiting patiently for her to get dressed. Ok, so there was no doubt he was attracted to her, but it was different than from how Benjamin saw her as.

He turned his head when she mentioned a cloak, so following her motion with her hand, he went to the wardrobe and opened it. He scanned the items within, then selected the cloak she had mentioned. Silver. He draped it over his shoulders and turned dramatically, letting the cloak fly around him like a cape before it slowly settled back down to completely cover him. The cloak matched his eyes, grinning over at Audrey as he held a proud stance.

"How do I look?" He asked. "Oh, wait." Reaching up, he pulled the hood over his messy black hair so that now only his silver eyes were revealed beneath the hood, which seemed to glow in the shadows. "Now how do I look?

Prim and Proper, #6cb031
"Who are you, I don't have a clue." Audrey teased. "You'll have to remind me, wherever did you get that scar, it makes you look so-"

Her voice was silky and a hint of a grin turned at the edges of her soft lips. She could play pretend for the day, dress up as what the nobles feared and spend a day in their midst. No one would come looking for her in the lower districts when they feared a little mud.

Again, her hand cupped his face as her thumb traced along the pale scar running the length of his features. Her hand stopped just short of where it ended, just along the lower edge of his jaw. He'd only been a boy when steel saluted his face in a cruel greeting. The man who'd done that found no justice, the best would have been an ax to his throat,, at least in the Lady's opinion. It was likely the man roamed free with the same sword in hand, giving similar marks to those unlucky enough to cross his path. Audrey promptly removed her hands, finding it was all too easy to keep them resting against his skin.

Audrey cleared her throat before stepping back. She was being too forward again, finding her hands on his face was a move beyond her allowances. Vale was still human, much to the disbelief of the noble class because of his status as a hired hand. He had limits and patience just as they did, though Vale's were miles past any noble born's. Sometimes they forgot that the wall which separated them was only that, a barrier created simply to keep the poor away. It didn't make either party less human, just one more monstrous than the other.

"Come on, you'll have to show me out." Audrey stammered. "Some way that no one will catch us, we can't just walk out the front door can we?"

Last edited: