Rose's thorns

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Kyuhyun smiled at Aracali and nodded. He shifted a bit now feeling awkward because there wasn't anything to talk about. He mentally checked how long it's been since the sun set. Only fourty-five more minutes and then he'll "escape" to look for Shiki. He knew he was going to get in trouble for going out on his own at night in a place odd disappearances were happening but he didn't really care.

Aracali tapped her finger against her cup for a few seconds, finally setting the cup down moments later. Keeping her normal, calm smile, she picked the tray up once more and returned to the kitchen with it. There she got to work on the dishes, letting the water run over each individual object. The bubbles filled the sink before she finally turned the water off. Turning to a rag that lay in a ring that hung on the wall, she tried her hands. "Um. Are you hungry? Would you like me to make something?" At this point she had made her way back to the small opening to the living room, leaning against the frame.

Shiki had quickly grown bored of waiting. More irritated at his lack of site than anything else. Dripping water could be heard echoing through the corridors, followed by the heavy steps of someone. His eyes could make out very little as he looked off in the distance, his hand on a dagger he had stashed away by his side. Further down, away from the noise, the light seemed to be fading altogether. Shiki's tattoo's taking on a dull glow as the sun faded away. Standing up straight, he let his eyes adjust to the darkness that accompanied the night, a grin playing across his face.

Eyes stared him down in the distance, glowing softly in the darkness as they neared him. His bright yellow eyes returned the questioning glare as he centered himself before the beast. The sound of each step it made gave Shiki an idea of the size, only a bit bigger than Havoc, but with less legs.

It picked up speed as it finally noticed Shiki standing in its path, plowing right into him. Jaws wide open as it tried to snap shut on the light it had only just seen. Shiki growled at the beast, his dagger driving through the roof of it's mouth. Though not without the expense of his arm being torn through by it's fangs. Pulling back, the beast let out a large growl. Shiki finally noticing the dull glow of crystals cluttered on it's back. "Figures," he said, rolling his eyes before he smashed against the cave walls. The beast took no time to recover from Shiki's attack, head butting Shiki out of it's way then moving on.

Kyuhyun's stomach grumbled at the prospect of food. "I would enjoy some food thank you," he said nodding looking at her leaning against the door frame. He checked his internal clock again. Only twenty more minutes. Kyuhyun looked around waiting for the food to be ready and had a sense of read in his veins. He couldn't quite place it where it came from. Once the food was placed in front of him him smiled and thanked the girl before finishing it all and getting up to return the plate.

Once the plate was returned to the kitchen he walked out "I'm going out now" he said stretching. "I shall be back in a few hours" he walked out the door not really giving her the chance to stop him. Kyuhyun called for Artemis and she landed gracefully in front of him. He made sure he had everything in the pack before climbing onto the griffins back and taking off towards the mountain. It didn;t take long to get there by flight and he landed looking for the glow of Shiki's tattoos.

Shiki growled, slowly regaining himself before trudging after the large beast. It didn't seem to notice, much less care about the man as he followed behind. Both came to a stop at the entrance, the creature growling softly over its shoulder. Shiki only grinned in response before pouncing at the beast. Purposely pushing it over the edge with his claws in it's neck. They thrashed about as they tumbled down the mountain, Shiki slowly becoming the unfortunate one. As they reached the bottom the creature had Shiki pinned, blood running down its neck as dug it's claws into Shiki's arm.

Shiki didn't fight, just stuck his tongue out mockingly. The blood that spilled from his wounds began to run black. "Lets play." Grinning, his eyes got brighter. Pulling from the shadow of the large creature. With no real regard to the beast's entire outlook, the black mass mocked Artemis. Shreaking at the beast as it formed fully. It's talon's where quick at the beast side, only barely scratching the surface of it's scales. "Seems I get called out rather often lately," Shiki grinned, his voice echoed with a more demonic tone. He simply brushed himself off, the glow of his tattoo's darker now.

The large black bird let out another screech before landing beside Shiki, it's eyes a bloody red. The large lizard hissed at the two, a black cloud like mass bubbling from under it's claws.

Kyuhyun looked up when he heard something coming down from the mountain. He looked carefully and noticed Shiki and a huge lizard. Looking around he ducked behind a tree not wanting to get noticed. When they landed he creeped a little closer trying to get a good look. Artemis stood infront of him shaking her bird head making him stay away.

Kyuhyun shrunk back again at the griffin's demand and watch quietly. Shiki was bleeding quite badly from what he could see. It was only a matter of time that the demon inside him too over. He watched as a shadow griffin rose and began to attack. Hearing the griffin beside him make a disgruntled noise he patted her side calming her. He watched the fight progress and then noticed something in the darkness. A bubbling near the reptiles claws. Widening his eyes he saw it more clearly.

He quickly weighted the pros and cons of joining the fight and then shouted "Shiki! Look at the claws!" from his hiding spot. He wasn't going to run out anytime soon and would just be support and an extra pair of eyes.

"Ohh, I knew I smelt a human." Shiki grinned, licking his lips, "I'll be sure to deal with you later." As he spoke, the black mass slowly surrounded the large beast, only its snout still out. His eyes lit up behind the black cloud that surrounded it now. Before it was entirely shielded it rushed at Shiki, the darkness following it as it tried to snap down on his torso. The dark griffin reached it's talons out, clawing at the bright eyes that remained hidden by the darkness. A loud hiss could be heard as the darkness enveloped the large bird, any sign of the two creatures being hidden behind the black cloud. "Listen kid, stay alive. I'll be back before sunrise to finish what we started the other night." He grinned, chuckling softly, as he knew the boy would probably get the wrong idea.

Stepping forward, he came to a short stop, snapping his fingers, the disappearing behind the black mass.

Nothing could be seen inside that black cloud, and the energy that was being used to sustain the shadow griffin had returned to him. Now he wondered through a darkness that seemed infinite, and could see so little. Growling at himself out of irritation, he tried to remain well aware of his surroundings. This attempt did him no good, and soon he felt teeth sinking deep into his shoulder. He growled at the beast, peering over his shoulder to see the bright eyes staring back at him. "Damn you," he hissed out as his blood drained into the creatures mouth, covering it's fangs.

Havoc stirred, standing behind Kyuhyun in an instant. He had made his way after the two long before Shiki summed him, just chose not to make himself known. He trudged up to the bird, nudging at it's side. "Take Kyuhyun and find that girl. Something's not right about her. I assume you sensed it as well." He looked up at her, giving her that message with simple movements and nods as he looked directly into the griffins eyes.

Kyuhyun blushed for a moment at the comment. 'Focus' He thought to himself shaking his head before looking back up. "Shiki!" He called as the demon entered the mass of black clouds. He moved to go after him but Artemis stepped infront of him again. She herded him back into the trees and shook her head vigorously. Kyuhyun shrunk back and nodded. It was best to listen to Artemis lest she just grab him and hoist him into the skies.

Artemis looked over when Havoc nudged her. "Of course I have, you make it seem like I'm a dim witted lollygagger, Don't worry about us while we're gone, If Shiki comes back dead I'm blaming you" she nodded back keeping eye contact before turning back to Kyuhyun. She lowered herself down signalling for the human to take his place on her back.

Kyuhyun looked back and forth between the two creatures and one final look at the black mass before hopping onto Artemis' back. Artemis gave the basilisk one final nod before taking off. It didn't take long to get back to her house. Kyuhyun slid off the griffins back and looked at her questioning her.

The basilisk shook his head, letting out a rather irritated growl at her comment. He thought little of it though, coming back dead? No such thing, and he naturally had no intention of stepping into the black mass. The large lizard pit patted his way over to the darkness, laying down before it with a snort. It was in his interest to sit around and wait, but he had little choice. His job was simply to keep Kyuhyun or anyone else from entering after Shiki. Wiping at his snout, he stared at the darkness before him. Trying to catch a glance of what could be happening inside it.

Grinning, Shiki felt his blood harden. Creating a small burden inside his own body, the wound only getting worse as the blood that tried to slip past the beast's teeth hardened. He kept a straight face though, waiting for the creature to panic and back off. A few awkward yet intense seconds passed as the two simply stared at one another before the beast shreaked and made an attempt to release. Grimacing at the pain, Shiki quickly turned and grabbed at the creature, snagging one of it's fangs covered in his own blood. The beast it's self had slipped away, hiding in the darkness once more. "Oh come on you pain in the ass," he growled out, the light in his eyes slowly dying out.

He was panting now, angry at himself for seeming so weak. Naturally he'd lost lots of blood, but not any overly substantial amount to weaken him in such a way. Slouching a bit, he tried to regain himself. Only to be smashed to the floor by the beast, it's claws digging into his back. He growled, clenching his teeth as he felt the pressure on his back grow.

Aracali sat peacefully outside her door, a smile on her face as she noticed the two. She was sipping her tea calmly, a rather clueless look on her face as she looked Kyuhyun and the bird over. "I thought you'd gone to fetch Shiki?"

"Couldn't find him," he lied brushing his hand through his hair. Artemis squawked at Aracali making a sound of distrust. Kyuhyun looked between the two confused as to what was going on with his griffin. "Artemis, quiet down, you're going to wake the whole village," he said shushing her and calming her down. The griffin calmed down but kept a defensive position.

Aracali sent off weird signals in the griffin's head which she wasn't happy about. Kyuhyun walked over to his host and asked "What are you doing outside this late?"

"A shame." She smiled softly at him, taking another sip of her tea. "I do hope he's alright. Everyone says that dark cloud goes after the strongest, I've noticed that each person that goes missing also uses dark or light magic. Never anything else." She giggled, watching Aracali as she seemed to react to the smaller girl. "Well, I suppose you'd like to get some rest then." She took a side step, opening the door for the boy, "I'll stay out here a bit longer to watch the sky's and see if Maybe Shiki will return."

"No one else told me of that fact," Kyuhyun stated narrowing his eyes "Where did you hear that?" he took a few steps inside and looked around. Artemis coo'd as if asking Kyuhyun to come back but he ignored her. "I'll stay up but I am a little cold so I'll wait in here" he said walking more into the house.

"I live her darling. I don't need to hear it from anyone, I'm a witness to it. Besides, it's only an observation of my own really. I've just talked with others about it and we've all come to the same conclusion." She sipped from her tea once more, smiling softly after Kyuhyun. "You have to understand. There is something strange going on around here, people aren't going to up and tell everything they know to a stranger. I'm amazed you two got the information you did manage to get." With a final nod, she closed the door behind him, turning to look up at the bird.

"I do hope you won't be getting in my way." She stepped from the building, letting it be engulfed by the same darkness that had trapped Shiki and the other beast. Behind the dark cloud nothing seemed different. A perfect illusion living inside the darkness. Though trying to get outside would be impossible for Kyuhyun, and would be rather difficult to get inside as well. Aracali giggled a bit, smiling at the bird. "Just stay out of my way and I won't crush you're little human boy. They're so fragile after all." She tossed her tea cup behind her, letting it shatter on the floor. Stepping past the griffin she yawned mockingly, "Shiki's so powerful, I should be able to leave this place once he's entirely drained." Giggling over her shoulder at the beast, she walked through the courtyard, making her way into the forest.

Kyuhyun walked around the room before sitting on the couch. Something didn't sit right with him and he shifted uncomfortably. Outside Artemis screeched at Aracali for locking Kyuhyun inside. What's this? She'll crush him if she gets in the way. Once she left Artemis looked around to see if she could get Kyuhyun out. She couldn't. Making sounds of frustration she flew up into the air and took off to where she left Havoc.

She took a quick landing and screeched again this time to get his attention. She looked right into the eyes of the basilisk conveying her message. "The woman's coming this way, she locked Kyu into a cloud of darkness and plans to drain Shiki of everything he's got, help him he may be getting weakened!" she looked around again and flew up not wanting to be seen here with the battle going on. She was gone and beside the house by the time the woman should have got there.

Havoc growled at the griffin, looking up at it boredly. Flicking it's tail a bit, he laid his head back down. His way of saying he already knew this, though he'd only hoped Shiki would soon catch on as well. Though helping Shiki was still not part of his orders, and at the time he had no real concern for the man. So instead he remained where he lay, waiting for the girl to approach. Fighting her would give the large lizard something to do, seeing as no one was allowed in or near that dark mass. The beast yawned, standing up finally, stretching two pairs of his legs out.

Aracali slowly approached from behind, smiling at Havoc. "Well hello there." The young woman grinned as she stood before the beast. Neither made a move to attack or move against one another in the least. They simply stood and stared. Aracali not wishing to interfere with her pet and Shiki. And Havoc to lazy too really fight against the women anyway. He growled at her anyway, only to have her wave her hand at him and take a seat. "I've no wish to interfere with them, just like you. We'll make it a fair fight....sort of."

Shiki hissed as he felt a crack move down his spine, sending a sharp pain through his whole body. Growling, he felt himself trembling under the strength of the large cave dweller. He felt his spine crack more, his anger slowly rising before he finally pushed himself up with whatever strength he had left. The creature screeched and disappeared into the darkness once more, leaving Shiki to himself. The blood began to drip from his mouth, and a bit running from his nose. Something had been punctured eternally, only irritating Shiki more as he forced himself up through the pain. "So this is what it's like to be human," he grunted out, taking a deep breath to try and sense the movements of the beast.

The griffin hopped around the house trying to find an entrance through the black clouds. She tried calling for the human again but to no avail. Shrieking she ran headlong into the cloud only to be spat out a second later painfully. She sat on her hindquarters thinking.

Kyuhyun looked outside and noticed that Artemis hasn't moved since he left her. Odd... It's not like her to stay in one place for long. The korean stood up and moved into the kitchen to get a quick drink. He grabbed some water and finished the cup in a minute before heading to the door. Turning the handle and pushing he realized it wasn't budging. Growling made sure the door was unlocked and pushed again harder. Still no movement. He moved over to the window and attempted to open it. It wouldn't move as well so he took the nearest blunt object smacked the panes of glass hoping to shatter them. The only thing that happened was pain shooting up his arm from the impact.

As they sat in silence, Havoc and Aracali, the large lizard simply watched her. His tail swaying back and forth in anticipation for any movement she may attempt to make. The silence was boring him though, and he grew tired and highly uninterested in the woman. Who still, only sat on with a smile spread from cheek to cheek, looking at the dark cloud before them. Aracali seemed as calm as always, obviously waiting for something. As she noticed the basilisk growing bored and probably wanting rest, she laid beside him. "It really is rather boring tonight. I figured they'd be done by now." She smiled, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

As Shiki looked on, he still had no real idea of where the beast was, or what was really going on. His breathing was heavy as the blood dripped from his lips. The sound of each drop hitting the ground seemed to echo in the intense silence.

"Good evening Shiki, you look like you've been having fun," A feminine voice greeted him through the darkness. The black soon faded, everything inside the dark mass turning white, as if a light switch had been flicked on. Shiki, still trying to calm himself, didn't move. Only peeked out of the corner of his eye in her direction. Aracali sat, perched up on the cave dweller, her obvious pet. Dressed in all white, her hair laying down her back. Chuckling, she slid of the beast back, pacing slowly toward Shiki.

"How'd you get in here?" He said slowly, forcing himself up straight. He wiped the blood from his mouth, staring straight at her as she approached him.

"Please. I made this illusion, I'm sure I can enter and leave it at my own will. Your pet didn't fail, I'm still laying beside him." She grinned, now standing right in front of him. She looked up, noticing the color draining from his eyes and the markings slowly fading all together. "You should really stop fighting against it Shiki. You're practically as human as your little friend."

Shiki growled at her, the pain surging through his body after each breath. Still, he didn't move, glaring down at her as if nothing had happened. He felt himself shudder as the girl reached up to him, placing her hand on his cheek gently. She was warm, and he could feel the little bit of strength he had left slowly fading. He thought to try and pull back from her, but his stubbornness caused him to change his mind as he bared his fangs one last time at her. Growling softly he quickly pulled out one of his hidden daggers, forcing it into her side.

Grinning softly, he felt the blood ooze from her new wound, staining her white dress as he forced the knife up. Cutting her side entirely open before pulling the dagger back out. Her pet hissed at Shiki, pouncing at him as he noticed Aracali fall to the floor. The light faded, soon returning them to the darkness it once was, before the cloud of black faded all together. Vanishing from around her home as well, letting Kyuhyun free. It revealed the large beast with it's jaw wrapped around Shiki's waist.

Havoc sat up, noticing the two and pounced at the cave dweller, knocking it off it's feet and away from Shiki. He took a defensive stance between the larger beast and Shiki, who lay gasping on the ground. The cave dweller hissed at them once more before walking over to Aracali, wrapping himself around her limp body.

Kyuhyun looked down at his arm making sure he didn't injure it at all. Moving it up and down and around, he deemed the pain superficial.

Artemis noticed the dark clouds fading and ran headlong into a window smashing it. She screeched at Kyuhyun calling him over to her and backed up from the window. The human looked up alarmed from his arm and saw the griffin. He walked over to her and jumped through the window. "Where's Aracali?" he asked. Artemis bowed in response. Kyuhyun climbed onto her back and she took off.

They were there in a matter of minutes. Artemis landed behind Shiki and Kyuhyun jumped off yelling "Shiki!" ran to him and skidded to a stop beside him. He knelt down and checked him over grimacing at the amount of blood on his body. He was worried, despite it being nighttime Shiki's tattoos weren't glowing. "Shiki, I need you to tell me where the wounds are the worst" he said grabbing the pouch off of his back and digging through to find a suture. He kept a close eye on his surroundings but most of his attention was directed to the older boy in front of him.

Havoc turned his attention back to Shiki, stepping to the young man as he gathered himself. Soon he return to a defensive stance, growling up at the sky as he heard something approaching. He neared Shiki, waiting for a visual on whatever was approaching. Upon noticing the large griffin and the young boy, he calmed himself, peering over his shoulder. He felt the large beast and his female Master as a threat no longer. The beast simply grieving over the lost of his companion. Havoc grunted, watching Kyuhyun rush up to Shiki's side, obviously in a state of panic. Stretching his legs a bit, he readied himself to lay down. Hoping to rest and leave the boy to his freak out. As he finally began to relax, he noticed Kyuhyun rummaging through his bag. Quickly returning to Shiki's side, he growled at the boy. Wrapping his tail around Shiki as he stepped to the human.

Baring his fangs, he let out another hiss at Kyuhyun. Pulling Shiki closer to him till the man came to. Letting out another loud gasp, he rolled over, coughing up blood. He forced himself up, hissing in pain. "I'm fine kid, relax." The basilisk helped him up, allowing him to rest against the smooth scales that lined his body. Panting softly Shiki wiped the blood from his mouth, coughing up more onto the back of his hand. With a sigh, he felt himself ready to collapse, the only thing holding him up was support from the beasts tail.

Havoc hissed at Kyuhyun once more before kneeling to the ground. Still staring the boy down, the beast hoisted Shiki onto his back to allow him rest. With one final look at the boy, then up at the large griffin, he turned and headed into the thick of tree's. He assumed the two would follow, only naturally. But showed little concern as to if they chose to or not. His only concern was to find a source of water so Shiki could clean himself up.

"H-havoc? What are you doing?" Kyuhyun asked obviously concerned when the basilisk pulled Shiki away from him. He got up to grab Shiki to lay him down on the ground so he could stitch him up. When he heard Shiki speak he shook his head "No you aren't you idiot, you're bleeding out, stop pretending,"

When Havoc let out the hiss he backed off holding his hands up in surrender. It was obvious the basilisk didn't want him touching Shiki, but he could not fathom why. He was trying to help the demon, and the only way to do that was to stitch up deep wounds and find a way to clot the inside so he would stop coughing up blood.

"Havoc!" He called running after the beast that went into the foliage "Either keep him still or bring him to a doctor," Kyuhyun kept up with the beast looking at the weakened form on his back. It was obvious he wasn't going to listen so he turn to Artemis. "Go get a doctor," he said waving to the bird who only nodded and took off. She screeched again to Havoc "There's water to the left, keep him alive" before flying away towards the town.

Havoc hissed up at the large bird, growling at Kyuhyun once more before returning his attention to his sense's. He paused and looked around, rather tired of the little light the moon was providing. Growling to himself, he pushed through the tree's and the brush that seemed to keep appearing in his path. After a few minutes of walking, the rushing stream seemed to come into view, Havoc only grunting softly. He bounced Shiki on his back as gently as he could. Hoping to get the mans attention without startling him.

Shiki forced himself up, sliding off of the beast back. Only landing on his feet because Havoc was kneeling beside him to hold him up. The two walked into the water very slowly, seeing as Shiki could barely move in the first place. The water was cold as it rushed around Shiki's ankles, giving him a chill as he rested against the basilisk. The large beast laid down in the water, Shiki slowly taking a seat with him. His eyes closed as he took a deep breath, letting the water rush all around him. The moonlight making the water darker than before, and giving the blood that flowed into it a deep purple gleam.

Havoc watched the man, slowly curling himself around him as he re-positioned himself. His snout rested on the banks of the stream, staring Kyuhyun down. His tail rested behind Shiki's neck, giving him something to rest against as he rested in the water. With Havoc surrounding him now, the flow of the water was little, simply settling around the mans body now.