Roleplay Success Poll [For Content Development]

Why do you lose interest in the roleplays you're in/What makes a roleplay die?

• Plot - Slow or Boring

• Plot - Unclear or Confusing

• Plot - Hung up on one character

• Plot - Too Stereotypical

• Plot - Not What I Expected

• GM - Kind of an Ass Hole

• GM - Too Restricting

• GM - Disorganized

• GM - Poor Communication

• GM - Ignored RP

• Players - Too Much Smut/Language/Gore/Etc

• Players - No Collaborations (Private RPing separate from the IC)

• Players - Too Many Collaborations (Private RPing separate from the IC)

• Players - Inconsistent Posts/Constant Hiatus

• Players - I Lost Interest

• Players - Poor Writing Skills

• Players - Drama in the OOC

• Plot - Other (Specify in Comments)

• GM - Other (Specify in Comments)

• Players - Other (Specify in Comments)

• I am a cat.

• Other (Please Specify!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've only officially dropped one roleplay here so far. For the purpose of clarity I will call it Roleplay A. The rest are just in limbo or are planned to be rehashed. The GM and I started Roleplay A with no real plot or purpose in our minds, we just wanted to play a certain two characters. As it turns out, the lack of any plot resulted in both of us losing interest or want to continue. So we let it Roleplay A drift into the tides of the roleplay afterlife.

Gawd speed, Roleplay A.

• Thank You
Reactions: Soulserenity20
Dunno that I'm gonna be able to contribute anything meaningful what with my arse being stuck firmly in the 1x1 department for the last four years or so, but I figured I'd just chuck a few things in that might still be relevant.

Cat-like typing or general lack of spell-checking and grammar makes me immediately cringe-and-flee. More than maybe two posts of it, especially if there's a key player dealing it out? Nope, I'm out. Out as fuck. I get that some people are learning but there are also people that kinda... have done it throughout their history and it gets absolutely no better with time, possibly cos nobody's kicking them about it. I know I don't kick people about it because I feel like they'll take offense somehow.

Feeling like a spare wheel is something I did a LOT of when I played in groups. It felt like I spent a lot of time trying to have characters be noticed without butting into existing situations, even if you were well-received in an OOC prior to introing ^^; Heck, I still do a lot of it. I don't like writing on my own for any particular length of time, so if I can't slip in somewhere quietly and successfully and make some sort of connection IC then I'm just going to eff off, really.

Also, just to be a weird thing and throw a spanner in amongst the cogs here or however that saying goes, I'll typically join stuff based off of the characters I see, say, rather than the plots. Breakneck pace through plots tends to just kinda... lose me. I don't keep up well when it's flying off somewhere. I frequently ditch for that, in all honesty.

Here's what I voted for and I'll go through them individually. I will admit I am about to come off cutting on some of my points. But they are my opinions and how I take RP;

Plot - Slow or Boring

Actually I find the slow, more than the boring to be one of the reasons why a roleplay doesn't succeed. I opt for a Once a Week posting speed, that gives 7 days out of the week to post. I find people lose interest in a plot that does not move. Like two weeks for one post every month is way too slow and it cripples a cohesive story writing.

The other aspect of this is people need to stop doing The First Mission RPs or the Group Just Met RPs. Because it slows down the plot significantly when the characters are part of the introductory phase. I feel like nine times out of teen, introductory my name is Bob and I do X skill, bores an otherwise good plot out of existence.

Plot - Unclear or Confusing
Not much to say this, but one thing. Location. Location. Location. I have seen it countless times, GMs forgetting to add setting, time, season, weather, architecture and over all design into their RPs. A plot can easily be cleared up with a more defined setting and background. [not every time, but it does help]. Remember Setting is a Character Too

Plot - Too Stereotypical
I don't mean too stereotypical in a traditional way. Most of the time, when I think too stereotypical I mean poor execution. Like they have an interesting setup, but ruin it by going the easier route instead of the route that take risk and ask questions.

GM - Too Restricting
I have said it before and I'll say it again. A GM has to be flexible enough to give their members the creativity to roam and take risk in the world the GM creates. But a GM should also be able to say No when they have to. It's a balancing act. Not overall too much freedom, but not too much control.

GM - Poor Communication
I mean there isn't much I have to say about this. Other than I do believe GMs, that includes myself. Have to be accountable for their actions as well and take responsibility for their actions as well. There's nothing more gob shite than a GM and you having a clear lack of miscommunication and it end up turning into something bigger because a GM and a member couldn't take a step back and say they were making mountains out of molehills. Poor communication is a killer. Member or GM.

Players - Inconsistent Posts/Constant Hiatus
Warning; Major Rant about to go on. Disclaimer: Let me Clarify something before anyone says anything about this. This is not directed at anyone. I have text based RP'd for over 12 years and this is an Experience I have Had Over the Whole Course of my RP existence. And is Directed at the Behavior. Not a Specific Person.

This is my biggest pet peeve in Text Based RP community. I do not understand what it is about the Text Based RP community that allows people to put down excuse after excuse for not posting. I come from a place of DnD tabletop RPs. Where I know men in their 40s and 50s, or even guys in their 20s and below. Who can manage to come down to a physical tabletop once a week, and play a damn fucking game.

It's not that hard to manage your time and get a post up at least once a week. You have 7 days. When I was working and doing text based RPs, I posted or half posted when I was either on my lunch break or when I was taking the public bus to work or too home.

Find the time to post. While I understand, work, school, and all of that. It's still an excuse. A believable, excuse, but an excuse. To join a RP means you're going to put the god damn fucking effort into posting. Just because you don't sign a contract, or say anything in words. The moment you put down a character and put in the effort in the OOC with a character that gets accepted, you are saying "yes, I will try to make this an obligation in my life"

I get emergencies. But everyday things everybody else has to deal with too. No. It just won't cut it. Either post. And find a way to manage your schedule. Or don't bother to put a character up.

Because when someone doesn't post. It doesn't just affect You the Person Not Posting. It Affects EVERYONE. It affects the GMs schedule, it affects the members schedule. And you inconvenience everyone in the whole of the RP because you can't seem to put a post up.

Worse is when someone writes me a neat 2 paragraph excuse of why they couldn't post, and they have a back and forth of 6 messages with me. And instead of writing, that 2 little paragraph of why they couldn't have posted, maybe they should have taken that time to write a post.

I try to be lenient, but this is my biggest pet peeve.

Its sad when in real life, the DnD tabletop guys, who got up early, took their kids to school, went to work, and still managed to come to a tabletop RP game that night. But no one bothers to put that effort into a Text Based RP.

Sorry I told you I was going to have a major rant.
Players - I Lost Interest
This kind of falls into poor writing, unclear or confusing plot, and slow posting speeds. I lose interest if say everyone's posting once every four weeks and the writing is just horrible because everyone's rushing a post instead of putting some time into posting.

Players - Poor Writing Skills
I don't know if people are rushing their post. Or if people actually do have poor writing skills. But I have dived into this a few times. People seem to forget to flesh out their characters. What I hate the most, is when a GM has like a 2 paragraph;

Angela walked into her house. And looked around at all her friends. Her friends stared up at her, and she clapped her hands. They gave her even further attention.

"Listen up guys, if we're going to murder someone, we're going to do it right," Angela tells them dramatically. She flips her hair and gives them a cute smile.

^And that's the introduction. I have no sense of who the character is. I have no sense of the plot. It just dives straight into the Plot. With no background information. No fleshed out settings. What city we're in. What Angela's house looks like, etc. Etc. Etc.

And everyone else just follows suit

Tony sits on the couch and smiles. Angela is pretty, always thought so. So of course he was going to go along with it. He just crosses his legs, "All right Angela."

^why does Tony find Angela pretty? Did they have a fling? Did they date? Are they flirting? Who's Tony? What did he do before he got to Angela's place? How did he get to Angela's place?

Basic Writing 101 - Answer these question

Who

What

Why

When

How

And no one ever does it. And it gets a groan out of me sometimes.

Players - Drama in the OOC
I don't have much to say to this. I just wish people knew how to handle situations a bit better. Than drastic over dramatic displays of behavior.

This is my biggest pet peeve in Text Based RP community. I do not understand what it is about the Text Based RP community that allows people to put down excuse after excuse for not posting. I come from a place of DnD tabletop RPs. Where I know men in their 40s and 50s, or even guys in their 20s and below. Who can manage to come down to a physical tabletop once a week, and play a damn fucking game.
I'm going to be completely straight with you here: you got lucky. Extremely so.

I also come from a D&D background, and expecting people with demanding jobs or those that are, God forbid, still in school, to regularly show up all the time, regardless of group is a pipe dream. Yes, sometimes this is used as an excuse, but even my old D&D group had trouble getting everyone together even once every couple days to continue our campaign, which led to our DM having to "write people out", as it were, if they consistently didn't show.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but expecting your experience to be valid everywhere in every context is just as silly as the excuses you get from people.

• Love
Reactions: Kagayours
I'm going to be completely straight with you here: you got lucky. Extremely so.

I also come from a D&D background, and expecting people with demanding jobs or those that are, God forbid, still in school, to regularly show up all the time, regardless of group is a pipe dream. Yes, sometimes this is used as an excuse, but even my old D&D group had trouble getting everyone together even once every couple days to continue our campaign, which led to our DM having to "write people out", as it were, if they consistently didn't show.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but expecting your experience to be valid everywhere in every context is just as silly as the excuses you get from people.

Not entirely the point. And it drive me up the wall if a group was like that. It wasn't that I got lucky. It was that I left the groups that were wishy washy. Most of mine were either with friends, who expected everyone to show up like I did. Or groups where we had a legit sign up sheet. So if you didn't sign up, you didn't get your seat.

Not entirely the point. And it drive me up the wall if a group was like that. It wasn't that I got lucky. It was that I left the groups that were wishy washy. Most of mine were either with friends, who expected everyone to show up like I did. Or groups where we had a legit sign up sheet. So if you didn't sign up, you didn't get your seat.
Well, my group was mostly friends too. Sometimes people are just unable to show up, which can easily be the case for school- or college-age people. Didn't stop us from finishing our almost four-year-long campaign, and by the time we finished, we had so many memes and in-jokes that we'll basically never run out.

It's not really being wishy-washy, it's being relaxed as a group. I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea, though. Main point is not everything everyone gives you is an excuse. Shit happens, and as a GM you have to be ready to take it in stride.

Another example: Myself and a group of friends have a very long-running chatplay series (been active since 2010, we're currently at the end of season 2). If we enforced extremely strict schedules we'd never have sessions, because while a good number of us live in EST, not everyone does, and timezones are the single biggest stopping point next to generally busy lives.

• Thank You
I only do one on one RPs and tbh the biggest reason behind my RPs not succeeding is me. I have a lot of issues that unfortunately reflect on my role-playing, mainly my social anxiety that prevents me from a) voicing my needs b) turning people down when I really shouldn't accept more role-plays/know I won't work well with someone c) telling people what's wrong, whether it be something in my life preventing me from posting or something in the actual role-play that isn't jiving with me. I am actually That Terrible Person that ends up just dropping off the face of the planet because I can't tell someone I don't want to continue the role-play anymore. It's really bad, and I've been trying to fix it, even going so far as to actually tell four people last year that I had to drop! Wow!

So yeah. It's all me. But as for what makes me fuck things up:

Number one is poor writing. I hate being a snob, and I'm really not that big of a snob, but when I can barely understand what you're trying to say, I just... can't. And I expect a certain level of detail in my partner's posts and when they routinely can't give that to me, then it's just not going to work out. I need to know your character's motivations for doing what they're doing. Pls. :(

Number two is my partner OOC. This is probably pretty bad, but if I can't get along with someone OOC, or I'm fucking terrified of them, shit's not going to work. I like to talk, I like to make friends, I reallllly love to just talk shit about our characters and make jokes and send you songs that remind me of our characters and the story, and when I feel like my partner is quite serious, I get intimidated and can't summon the motivation to reply IC.

Number three is whether or not they routinely pester me for replies. I make it extremely clear in all of my searches and my role-play resume that I am inconsistent. I mention that if it's been a week, feel free to jab me. When it's been one day and you jab me, I get titchy. If you do this more than once, I'm probably just going to say 'fuck this' and not want to reply out of annoyance.

Number four ties into the above: people just not... reading. I'm very very detailed in my searches. Very detailed. This means it's extremely obvious when people just skipped over the important bits and went straight to the plots, which is not endearing. This is a hobby entirely based on reading and writing. Why would you go tl;dr and expect the person you're contacting to want to role-play with you? Like. I don't understand. I always found it a bit off putting when someone would include a little code word in their searches to make sure you read things, but I'm starting to understand the appeal...

Well, my group was mostly friends too. Sometimes people are just unable to show up, which can easily be the case for school- or college-age people. Didn't stop us from finishing our almost four-year-long campaign, and by the time we finished, we had so many memes and in-jokes that we'll basically never run out.

It's not really being wishy-washy, it's being relaxed as a group. I understand that's not everyone's cup of tea, though. Main point is not everything everyone gives you is an excuse. Shit happens, and as a GM you have to be ready to take it in stride.

I grew up with the point of view

"If you say you're going to do something, do it"

I am lenient, but only to a point. When someone says school and such, I'm like yeah okay. I am talking about that ONE specific member.

The one who is always coming up with excuses

back to back to back to back

and never manages anything

I am lenient, but only to a point. When someone says school and such, I'm like yeah okay. I am talking about that ONE specific member.

The one who is always coming up with excuses

back to back to back to back

and never manages anything
This, however, is fair enough. It's also a minority of potential players.

I know a couple guys like that (one even tried to godmod in one of my old RPs on another forum, then got mad when I banned his ass from the RP for it). They're why I maintain a sort of "ban list" to this day. It sucks, but sometimes it's necessary.

This, however, is fair enough. It's also a minority of potential players.

I know a couple guys like that (one even tried to godmod in one of my old RPs on another forum, then got mad when I banned his ass from the RP for it). They're why I maintain a sort of "ban list" to this day. It sucks, but sometimes it's necessary.

I do as well. There are just people, I'm like, nope not going to deal with this.

Special Breed Player Type Number 455 -- "I'm bored, but not bored enough to post in the great RP I joined."

Okies. I have personal knowledge of adult players (and let me just reference online RP OUTSIDE this site, to keep it clean) who will not post because "eh, they don't wanna." No matter how stellar the RP is.

They have time on their hands, are bored, and yet ... won't make the effort to post because they just don't want to engage in anything that would alter their state of mind or force them to spend 10 minutes of their time on something that involves mental effort or interaction with anyone not intimately connected with them.

They don't view themselves as having made any kind of real commitment to the RP. Despite having made that commitment in writing. Like Alice in Wonderland... unless we are their personal friend, we're all "just a deck of cards" to them, cardboard figures.

Nor do they make a clean break.

They honestly couldn't care less who else it affects, NOT because they are mean or because they want to drive you crazy, but because that's just how they roll. Not only is it "not their problem" but as I said, people online lack reality to them. The characters from Star Wars or animes usually have much more substance and meaning to them than human beings.

There is really no way to spot this kind of player early on, as the ones I know are creative, literate, and initially present as being charming or cute and totally enthusiastic about the RP.

Unfortunately, no amount of ranting will ever make a dent in this breed. (Justified as the rant may be!) So, one can only reluctantly accept it and move on.

But this does make a good case for attempting to engage all your players OOC, as I have seen that work some wonders with Type Number 455.

Plot - Slow or Boring

Pertains to the former, and not the latter.
I lose interest in rp's if things barely ever progress, and/or a partner takes far too long to reply (weeks without a peep). I know things unexpectedly come up in life, but don't attempt to spoon feed me bullshit when I can see you around the site. Posting. Just communicate with me. Please.

I'm also the type of person who after creating a character 'feels' them inside of my head. What tends to happen if a reply takes too long is that my connection to not only said character, but also to the specfic scene, and mindset they were part of fades. I create characters for rps, 1x1 or Group. I am not a person who thinks of a character first, and creates them prior to joining/finding them a 'rp forever' home. I've always been a made to order type of rper. Characters do not come prior to there being an established setting, and actual roleplay about to commence. As a result I don't retain characters inside of me if their 'world' is no longer active because I dont save specfic characters for reuse.

Does that make sense?
Struggling to articulate that any better. My bad.

GM - Ignored RP

This. I've only experienced this here once so far, and it was for a Group rp. I tried to join a rp awhile ago, and created a character for it. The GM had been present to answer my questions, etc, at first so all was well. Or so I thought as said GM never got around to accepting not only my character, but also no one elses. They literally abandoned the OOC, and the IC. Totally fine, it happens. But what irked me was that before "poofing" they made it a point to insist that everyone post slowly, keep the story exactly where it was, and wait for whomever their characters were interacting with. Soooo~ when they "left" everyone was basically unable to do much of anything due to most interactions having been with the GMs creations. That left more than half of whomever was active stuck, and unable to progress for over a month. Pretty sure its still an "Open sign up" even now. Could be wrong though.

Meanwhile said GM was still very much active everywhere else. Yet never replying IC or in the OOC of that specfic rp. Losing interest happens to everyone, but deadlocking your thread into a stand still wasn't fair. They could have communicated that they were over it, handed the reigns to a new GM or Co-GM, and told everyone to continue on. Even officially ending the roleplay would have been better then leaving so many people hanging in limbo while you're still obviously around, and active.

Left a bad taste in my mouth for sure.

I picked more boxes, but these stuck out in my mind the most.

• Love
Its most of the time people not showing up or people just going away that makes me upset, or even when people are taking to long. its been 2 week I know we all have lives but really, really! Its some what annoying and at times really a pet peeve of mine. it even more annoying when the GM waits for them. like this person is not replaying can we get someone new to join so we can start!

I am sorry if that's you or something but for real! its annoying!

Reactions: Sir Salty
Whether you intend to or not, your method alone creates a bias simply by focusing on negativity, the very nature of the poll externalises the cause of RP death, whereas it's never just someone else their responsibility because roleplaying is a team effort.
Well, I understand that you may not agree with my method. But an approach had to be decided upon and I took the approach most commonly used and one I deemed most fitting for my area of inquiry. After all, you don't go to the doctor and tell him all the things that aren't wrong with you, a doctor will ask "what's wrong" and you explain the problems, or the negative aspects of your health, and from there, they can be addressed. We don't mend relationships without saying "what went wrong?" We can't fix a weak structure by looking only at its strengths. Yes, I could have said "what makes a roleplay live?" But as you're well aware, there are plenty of guides available that focus on what makes a roleplay good, interesting, or lively. The purpose of this is to gather information to help direct future guides and workshops I'll being using to attempt to repair the damaged areas. As such, I need to get an idea of what people view as being the damaged area of any roleplay. While I respect your right to your opinion, you should know that I am intentionally looking at the problem from the bias of "what's wrong." My question isn't, and wasn't intended to be, "what makes a roleplay live," though that could definitely be an option for a new, separate poll :). I agree that roleplaying is a team effort, note that there are options discussing player interaction, GM interactions, etc.
You can 'live' in an RP all you want, but if the place your living in has lousy room mates you're going to be looking for a place to move out to eventually.
Great interpretation! Very insightful :)

What I'm trying to illustrate here...is that though a peak experience for many people may be (in a Group RP) to have your friends hanging out with you, having fun in the OOC, that won't be much of a factor for new people, especially if they are shy (and I would expect them to be). XD So if you are soliciting players, you may want to be mindful of that. (See quote far above.)
Really good point. There may a bit of a rift in some cases where new players feel excluded from that sense of community and struggle to get into any of the roleplays long term because of it. This is where the story and the atmosphere created and moderated by the GM are helpful. But even then, the other players need to be willing to take another newbie under their wing and welcome them into the fold and the newbie has to be prepared to go through an adjustment period.
But I'm really am there to RP.
This is similar to my initial perspective. I came here looking to roleplay. I didn't necessarily want or need the social setting that came with it (More of an IC than an OOC player), but over the last few years, the site has become like home and it's pretty hard not to care about the people you talk to every single day and write with for more than two years! The community came after the story, in my case.
--we don't look at why people drop or lose interest.
I had tried to make the answers complimentary, so reasons for losing interest fall under "slow plot" or "confusing plot" or "angry GM" or "players don't post enough" etc. I also leave the option open for a explanation in the thread, which seems to be offering a lot of feedback, which is great!
Feeling like a spare wheel is something I did a LOT of when I played in groups. It felt like I spent a lot of time trying to have characters be noticed without butting into existing situations, even if you were well-received in an OOC prior to introing ^^;
I think this highlights the balancing act between community and story. The OOC can be all inclusive but a player can still feel alienated by an IC plot that fails to stimulate all players.
Remember Setting is a Character Too
I love this <3
Special Breed Player Type Number 455 -- "I'm bored, but not bored enough to post in the great RP I joined."
XD I'd love to see breeds 1-454
I know things unexpectedly come up in life, but don't attempt to spoon feed me bullshit when I can see you around the site. Posting. Just communicate with me. Please.
Oh man, this is a big pet peeve for me too. I never say anything, but often times people who do this do have some form of a difficulty with confrontations or perhaps an anxiety towards telling someone "Hey, I want to write but not in our RP right now." It's difficult to face. Communication is very important.
As a result I don't retain characters inside of me if their 'world' is no longer active because I dont save specfic characters for reuse.
I'm the same way. My characters are built for the world and don't transfer very easily. This can be both a blessing and a curse because characters that are built carefully for the world are really easy to play and flow so well, but they tend to die off as soon as the RP does, resulting in a lot of wasted work.
I am sorry if that's you or something but for real! its annoying!
Don't worry about apologizing. You should be able to speak freely here and if I or any other player is that GM, then we need to hear that kind of constructive criticism :)

• Thank You
Reactions: Cry and Sir Salty
I love this <3

It goes back to this video that I watched that was comparing an Alan Moore comic book to the comic books of old. The question was, what made Alan Moore's comics book so much better than the others. And the thing was is because he filled his backgrounds with stuff.

Ever looked at just the backgrounds alone in the Killing Joke? Gordon, the detective, has a glass case of alcohol. Does that imply Gordon might have a drinking problem then?

You have to fill your world with stuff. Or else you get some of the crappiest comic books, they have nothing on their night stands, no lamps, nothing to indicate a person underneath all the finesse.

So, its why I started saying, Setting is a Character as well. Because the environment a person surrounds themselves in, speaks volumes of the type of person they are.

A messy desk implies they work at their desk a lot, or a woman who has a hundred pictures of her dead husband up in her house implies she can not let go.

Show v.s. tell. Isn't just about showing us the character.

You show the character through their environment sometimes, too. Your setting sets an atmosphere, a mood, a vibe and a feeling that sets the pace for the rest of the book, the film, or whatever.

Do not forget your setting.

Time is important too. Especially for detective RPs or books. Because time allows audience to piece together where and what happened. And be able to fit in clues.

Oh man, this is a big pet peeve for me too. I never say anything, but often times people who do this do have some form of a difficulty with confrontations or perhaps an anxiety towards telling someone "Hey, I want to write but not in our RP right now." It's difficult to face. Communication is very important.

I'm the same way. My characters are built for the world and don't transfer very easily. This can be both a blessing and a curse because characters that are built carefully for the world are really easy to play and flow so well, but they tend to die off as soon as the RP does, resulting in a lot of wasted work.
Part of me gets that, but an even larger part sees it this way.
Wouldn't you rather be upfront, and honest, so that you can attempt to remain on good terms with people for the possible future? Ignoring your partner can, and will burn bridges. Effectively losing out on possibly great stories down the line with that person, and others.
Because people who do that are 9/10 serial flat leavers. No one is excited to rp with someone they know/are known for neglecting stories.

Exactly!
And it sucks to shelve a character you were looking forward to playing more, but that is what ends up happening.

My main issue with the 'poor writing', is more so poor characterization. It drives me insane, I've found a lot of the characters when there is drama between the two of them that drama is quickly resolved and the drama is forgotten. That's not how life works, if something traumatic happens no matter how much time there is still lingering thoughts. Another example is unrealistic behaviors in traumatic experiences, there might be an intriguing plot about cheating and all the sudden the character just gets over it. No strife, no struggle, it's not even denial it's just like 'poof' didn't happen. I care a lot about characters, more so than any part of a roleplay, if your character sucks I'm going to lose interest.
They have time on their hands, are bored, and yet ... won't make the effort to post because they just don't want to engage in anything that would alter their state of mind or force them to spend 10 minutes of their time on something that involves mental effort or interaction with anyone not intimately connected with them.

I'm going to admit, this can be me. I'm not trying to make any excuses for myself but I work demanding job, go to school full time, I have a pretty busy social life, and I'm in a sport that requires travel. I'm busy, sometimes so busy I'm exhausted. The only thing I want to do when I have free time is watch dumb youtube videos, eat chips and ice cream, and destress. Roleplaying can be stressful, it can feel like a chore(especially if the plot is dragging). I hate that I do this, it frustrates me when I'm part of a great roleplay and I just can't reply because it's so overwhelming. If anyone has tips on how to make this less of a problem please let me know. I've started a few new roleplays, and I really like them so far(probably some of my favorites in a real long time), so I don't want to be the ass who "JUST LITERALLY CANNOT" and stops replying.

I do not understand what it is about the Text Based RP community that allows people to put down excuse after excuse for not posting.
I agree with @Nebulon Ranger to an extent in that you did get lucky with your group, this stuff does happen for tabletop as well.

But, there's a few additional barriers here that forum RP's have to tolerate which tabletop usually can safely ignore.

1. It's easier to commit to a specific time, because as the time of the tabletop approaches the "Panic Monster" can wake up and scare you into showing up.
PM+Scare+1.png

PM+Scare+2.png

PM+Scare+3.png

Forum RP's though? They have no official deadline (usually). So it's a lot easier for your Panic Monster to stay asleep, and for the players to keep on procrastinating the post.

2. You don't pay the consequences IRL. Often times your tabletop group consist of friends you know in real life, you become too much of a liability and it's something you have to deal with at some point while being out and about. Forum RP's are vast majority of the time Online Friends though, you can avoid them and the conflict as easily as just not reading what they say.

3. RP Post Traffic. @Kagayours had an image for this that worked well that I can't find. But basically the idea is if you're in a group RP people are just confused, always waiting on someone else to post, and if everyone on your group think's they're waiting, then no one is posting. This isn't something that tends to pop up with tabletop though because everything is real time and jump in, jump out rather then turn taking. Well, outside of combat, and combat tends to be pretty structured to avoid such things, usually, but your Wizard taking 30 mins to find their spell tends to put a damper on that.

I agree with @Nebulon Ranger to an extent in that you did get lucky with your group, this stuff does happen for tabletop as well.

But, there's a few additional barriers here that forum RP's have to tolerate which tabletop usually can safely ignore.

1. It's easier to commit to a specific time, because as the time of the tabletop approaches the "Panic Monster" can wake up and scare you into showing up.
PM+Scare+1.png

PM+Scare+2.png

PM+Scare+3.png

Forum RP's though? They have no official deadline (usually). So it's a lot easier for your Panic Monster to stay asleep, and for the players to keep on procrastinating the post.

2. You don't pay the consequences IRL. Often times your tabletop group consist of friends you know in real life, you become too much of a liability and it's something you have to deal with at some point while being out and about. Forum RP's are vast majority of the time Online Friends though, you can avoid them and the conflict as easily as just not reading what they say.

The panic monster is me killing their characters in horrible ways

Once a Week, Once a Week

that's my deadline

Any of most of these can turn me down, but I usually try to be patient if the problems I consider minor.