Roleplay Success Poll [For Content Development]

Why do you lose interest in the roleplays you're in/What makes a roleplay die?

• Plot - Slow or Boring

• Plot - Unclear or Confusing

• Plot - Hung up on one character

• Plot - Too Stereotypical

• Plot - Not What I Expected

• GM - Kind of an Ass Hole

• GM - Too Restricting

• GM - Disorganized

• GM - Poor Communication

• GM - Ignored RP

• Players - Too Much Smut/Language/Gore/Etc

• Players - No Collaborations (Private RPing separate from the IC)

• Players - Too Many Collaborations (Private RPing separate from the IC)

• Players - Inconsistent Posts/Constant Hiatus

• Players - I Lost Interest

• Players - Poor Writing Skills

• Players - Drama in the OOC

• Plot - Other (Specify in Comments)

• GM - Other (Specify in Comments)

• Players - Other (Specify in Comments)

• I am a cat.

• Other (Please Specify!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm going to admit, this can be me. I'm not trying to make any excuses for myself but I work demanding job, go to school full time, I have a pretty busy social life, and I'm in a sport that requires travel. I'm busy, sometimes so busy I'm exhausted. The only thing I want to do when I have free time is watch dumb youtube videos, eat chips and ice cream, and destress. Roleplaying can be stressful, it can feel like a chore(especially if the plot is dragging). I hate that I do this, it frustrates me when I'm part of a great roleplay and I just can't reply because it's so overwhelming. If anyone has tips on how to make this less of a problem please let me know. I've started a few new roleplays, and I really like them so far(probably some of my favorites in a real long time), so I don't want to be the ass who "JUST LITERALLY CANNOT" and stops replying.
^ Building off of this, I do think that saying "How do you not have time to post when I can see you derping around in GC??" and assuming that the person is just trying to lie or bullshit you is... kind of unfair. I know I can't always put myself in the right mindset to write a good IC post. It's something I really have to sit down and put effort into (not to mention, my own concentration issues certainly don't help...). And I can't spend 100% of my time online, writing posts. I just don't always have the mental stamina for it.

So, just because someone is clearly online but not posting, doesn't necessarily mean that they're just lying to you... Of course, if they refuse to communicate at all, while still being active around the site, then, yeah, that's an issue. But if someone says "sorry I haven't been able to post recently, I've been busy", and then you still also see them online... I don't think that necessarily makes them a liar. They can still be busy and worn out from work and/or school and then just not have the mental stamina to write a post, because sometimes writing a post can feel like work -- hence why they're "too busy to post" but still hanging out in GC.

That's my take on it, anyway. :/

3. RP Post Traffic. @Kagayours had an image for this that worked well that I can't find.
I lost it with all my old bookmarks when my old laptop met its watery demise. T^T But I'm pretty sure it was posted at least once in the Fandomstuck OOC if you feel like digging around for it... :P

Anyway, yeah, I agree that confusion about whose turn it is to post can definitely bring forum RP's to a halt. @_@ And it's another reason why having a GM who's organized and proactive about communicating with everyone is such an important thing to have -- so that you're able to notice when such a thing is the cause of a drop in activity, and so that you can step in as the traffic officer and tell everyone who should post next, so that everything can move again. :P

I'm going to admit, this can be me. I'm not trying to make any excuses for myself but I work demanding job, go to school full time, I have a pretty busy social life, and I'm in a sport that requires travel. I'm busy, sometimes so busy I'm exhausted. The only thing I want to do when I have free time is watch dumb youtube videos, eat chips and ice cream, and destress.
Oh no! The player type that I was describing has very few to none of the adult responsibilities that most of us carry once we're in the workforce. Like, they have maybe zero to one of the things you list above.

I totally understand the need to de-stress (like you describe) with such a busy schedule. It's healthy (well, except for the junk food maybe ... XD) and you deserve it. It's a way of taking care of yourself. So I don't think you fit in that category at all!

XD I'd love to see breeds 1-454
Woman! Why so cruel?

I wouldn't have any fingers left after typing those. Then, I know, it would be "Why don't you type with your nose? We're only up to Player Breed 389."

"Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods!" - Robin

After all, you don't go to the doctor and tell him all the things that aren't wrong with you, a doctor will ask "what's wrong" and you explain the problems, or the negative aspects of your health, and from there, they can be addressed.
I don't think this metaphor fits the topic at hand. You're not trying to return to a healthy default state, you're trying to achieve something most RP's don't. You want to be like one of the outliers. What you want to know is how they can be successful in a landscape where most roleplays aren't. You want to know what they're doing differently.

I also mentioned the poll externalises causes for roleplay failure. While there are a few people here showing they're capable of taking their own responsibility, most still push the blame on others. However, just because only a few people hold their selves accountable, doesn't mean they're the only reason that RP's die and everyone else who does not claim responsibility is innocent. So, even if we're going with the doctor metaphor, you're not taking an unhealthy lifestyle as potential root for the problem into consideration.

The purpose of this is to gather information to help direct future guides and workshops I'll being using to attempt to repair the damaged areas.
That means you've defined your solution before finishing your research. Not just that, you've already assumed most of the probable causes and this topic is more about priority of what to write when. I mean, I'll bow out if that's what you've set your mind on, but you've already assumed there's areas that need repairing for roleplays to be successful. I strongly disagree with that assessment for reasons previously laid out.

Last edited:
I lost it with all my old bookmarks when my old laptop met its watery demise. T^T But I'm pretty sure it was posted at least once in the Fandomstuck OOC if you feel like digging around for it... :P
Last time I dug in that OOC for something old it turned out to be for nothing... :/

I don't think this metaphor fits the topic at hand. You're not trying to return to a healthy default state, you're trying to achieve something most RP's don't. You want to be like one of the outliers. What you want to know is how they can be successful in a landscape where most roleplays aren't. You want to know what they're doing differently.

I also mentioned the poll externalises causes for roleplay failure. While there are a few people here showing they're capable of taking their own responsibility, most still push the blame on others. However, just because only a few people hold their selves accountable, doesn't mean they're the only reason that RP's die and everyone else who does not claim responsibility is innocent. So, even if we're going with the doctor metaphor, you're not taking an unhealthy lifestyle as potential root for the problem into consideration.

That means you've defined your solution before finishing your research. Not just that, you've already assumed most of the probable causes and this topic is more about priority of what to write when. I mean, I'll bow out if that's what you've set your mind on, but you've already assumed there's areas that need repairing for roleplays to be successful. I strongly disagree with that assessment for reasons previously laid out.
While it's unfortunate that you disagree with my methodology, I stand by it all the same. I respect your opinion but I disagree. I guess what'll happen is this will proceed and Ill go about approaching this in the way I see best and either I'll help or, worst case scenario, things continue on exactly as they are and I only provided a set of data. I don't expect everyone to have the same ideas and approaches, but I firmly disagree with your standpoint. Thank you for your input, I won't argue further as this is a matter of opinion.

Here's what I voted for and I'll go through them individually. I will admit I am about to come off cutting on some of my points. But they are my opinions and how I take RP;

Actually I find the slow, more than the boring to be one of the reasons why a roleplay doesn't succeed. I opt for a Once a Week posting speed, that gives 7 days out of the week to post. I find people lose interest in a plot that does not move. Like two weeks for one post every month is way too slow and it cripples a cohesive story writing.

The other aspect of this is people need to stop doing The First Mission RPs or the Group Just Met RPs. Because it slows down the plot significantly when the characters are part of the introductory phase. I feel like nine times out of teen, introductory my name is Bob and I do X skill, bores an otherwise good plot out of existence.

Not much to say this, but one thing. Location. Location. Location. I have seen it countless times, GMs forgetting to add setting, time, season, weather, architecture and over all design into their RPs. A plot can easily be cleared up with a more defined setting and background. [not every time, but it does help]. Remember Setting is a Character Too

I don't mean too stereotypical in a traditional way. Most of the time, when I think too stereotypical I mean poor execution. Like they have an interesting setup, but ruin it by going the easier route instead of the route that take risk and ask questions.

I have said it before and I'll say it again. A GM has to be flexible enough to give their members the creativity to roam and take risk in the world the GM creates. But a GM should also be able to say No when they have to. It's a balancing act. Not overall too much freedom, but not too much control.

I mean there isn't much I have to say about this. Other than I do believe GMs, that includes myself. Have to be accountable for their actions as well and take responsibility for their actions as well. There's nothing more gob shite than a GM and you having a clear lack of miscommunication and it end up turning into something bigger because a GM and a member couldn't take a step back and say they were making mountains out of molehills. Poor communication is a killer. Member or GM.

Warning; Major Rant about to go on. Disclaimer: Let me Clarify something before anyone says anything about this. This is not directed at anyone. I have text based RP'd for over 12 years and this is an Experience I have Had Over the Whole Course of my RP existence. And is Directed at the Behavior. Not a Specific Person.

This is my biggest pet peeve in Text Based RP community. I do not understand what it is about the Text Based RP community that allows people to put down excuse after excuse for not posting. I come from a place of DnD tabletop RPs. Where I know men in their 40s and 50s, or even guys in their 20s and below. Who can manage to come down to a physical tabletop once a week, and play a damn fucking game.

It's not that hard to manage your time and get a post up at least once a week. You have 7 days. When I was working and doing text based RPs, I posted or half posted when I was either on my lunch break or when I was taking the public bus to work or too home.

Find the time to post. While I understand, work, school, and all of that. It's still an excuse. A believable, excuse, but an excuse. To join a RP means you're going to put the god damn fucking effort into posting. Just because you don't sign a contract, or say anything in words. The moment you put down a character and put in the effort in the OOC with a character that gets accepted, you are saying "yes, I will try to make this an obligation in my life"

I get emergencies. But everyday things everybody else has to deal with too. No. It just won't cut it. Either post. And find a way to manage your schedule. Or don't bother to put a character up.

Because when someone doesn't post. It doesn't just affect You the Person Not Posting. It Affects EVERYONE. It affects the GMs schedule, it affects the members schedule. And you inconvenience everyone in the whole of the RP because you can't seem to put a post up.

Worse is when someone writes me a neat 2 paragraph excuse of why they couldn't post, and they have a back and forth of 6 messages with me. And instead of writing, that 2 little paragraph of why they couldn't have posted, maybe they should have taken that time to write a post.

I try to be lenient, but this is my biggest pet peeve.

Its sad when in real life, the DnD tabletop guys, who got up early, took their kids to school, went to work, and still managed to come to a tabletop RP game that night. But no one bothers to put that effort into a Text Based RP.

Sorry I told you I was going to have a major rant.

This kind of falls into poor writing, unclear or confusing plot, and slow posting speeds. I lose interest if say everyone's posting once every four weeks and the writing is just horrible because everyone's rushing a post instead of putting some time into posting.

I don't know if people are rushing their post. Or if people actually do have poor writing skills. But I have dived into this a few times. People seem to forget to flesh out their characters. What I hate the most, is when a GM has like a 2 paragraph;

Angela walked into her house. And looked around at all her friends. Her friends stared up at her, and she clapped her hands. They gave her even further attention.

"Listen up guys, if we're going to murder someone, we're going to do it right," Angela tells them dramatically. She flips her hair and gives them a cute smile.

^And that's the introduction. I have no sense of who the character is. I have no sense of the plot. It just dives straight into the Plot. With no background information. No fleshed out settings. What city we're in. What Angela's house looks like, etc. Etc. Etc.

And everyone else just follows suit

Tony sits on the couch and smiles. Angela is pretty, always thought so. So of course he was going to go along with it. He just crosses his legs, "All right Angela."

^why does Tony find Angela pretty? Did they have a fling? Did they date? Are they flirting? Who's Tony? What did he do before he got to Angela's place? How did he get to Angela's place?

Basic Writing 101 - Answer these question

Who

What

Why

When

How

And no one ever does it. And it gets a groan out of me sometimes.

I don't have much to say to this. I just wish people knew how to handle situations a bit better. Than drastic over dramatic displays of behavior.
I agree so much!!!!! Thank you for putting it out there!

• Thank You
Reactions: Sir Salty
^ Building off of this, I do think that saying "How do you not have time to post when I can see you derping around in GC??" and assuming that the person is just trying to lie or bullshit you is... kind of unfair. I know I can't always put myself in the right mindset to write a good IC post. It's something I really have to sit down and put effort into (not to mention, my own concentration issues certainly don't help...). And I can't spend 100% of my time online, writing posts. I just don't always have the mental stamina for it.

So, just because someone is clearly online but not posting, doesn't necessarily mean that they're just lying to you... Of course, if they refuse to communicate at all, while still being active around the site, then, yeah, that's an issue. But if someone says "sorry I haven't been able to post recently, I've been busy", and then you still also see them online... I don't think that necessarily makes them a liar. They can still be busy and worn out from work and/or school and then just not have the mental stamina to write a post, because sometimes writing a post can feel like work -- hence why they're "too busy to post" but still hanging out in GC.

That's my take on it, anyway. :/

And then I want to add this as well 8D

It's also important to remember that today people tend to have internet in their back pocket (their phone), so while they're sitting on the buss or have a break at work or at school they might get on iwaku and check GC. In these situations, people might have time for a short reply in a discussion and they might even have the mental capability for a roleplay post, but writing two plus paragraphs on a phone might take a bit too long before they have to be somewhere else, or they might not be used enough to writing long stuff on their phone so they don't ever roleplay on it even if they have the time. Just because you can log in on a site doesn't mean you can write a long reply because you might be on the wrong device and it's not comfortable enough for you.

Some people easily writes from every device they have, while others won't accept anything other than a computer, which can result in them being online without replying to roleplays if they use the internet on more than one device.

It's also important to remember that today people tend to have internet in their back pocket (their phone), so while they're sitting on the buss or have a break at work or at school they might get on iwaku and check GC. In these situations, people might have time for a short reply in a discussion and they might even have the mental capability for a roleplay post, but writing two plus paragraphs on a phone might take a bit too long before they have to be somewhere else, or they might not be used enough to writing long stuff on their phone so they don't ever roleplay on it even if they have the time. Just because you can log in on a site doesn't mean you can write a long reply because you might be on the wrong device and it's not comfortable enough for you.

Some people easily writes from every device they have, while others won't accept anything other than a computer, which can result in them being online without replying to roleplays if they use the internet on more than one device.
Yes, this is also a very good point. Thank you for mentioning this.

Not an excuse, imo.

Often what I do is start off my post in the IC

Note; On Phone, WIP IC

^I allow WIP IC post in my RPs, they allow me the GM to know they're working on a post.

I'm sorry because the more and more people pile on excuses the more and more procrastination sets in

"Well I don't know how to post on my phone, so I'll get home and do it"

"Well I worked a long day, so I'll do it tomorrow"

"Well I have to go to work and can't post on my phone, so I'll definitely do it when I get home"

Instead of writing something like;

WIP IC Post on Phone, but starting it

Because then it at least makes someone commit to it. I am sorry people cannot justify something like that with an excuse. If they don't know how to write on their phone. LEARN HOW. Simple as that.

Not an excuse, imo.

Note; On Phone, WIP IC

^I allow WIP IC post in my RPs, they allow me the GM to know they're working on a post.

I'm sorry because the more and more people pile on excuses the more and more procrastination sets in

"Well I have to go to work and can't post on my phone, so I'll definitely do it when I get home"

Because then it at least makes someone commit to it. I am sorry people cannot justify something like that with an excuse. If they don't know how to write on their phone. LEARN HOW. Simple as that.
Well I wouldn't want to make a WIP IC post when I had two minutes to spare on my phone, only to be busy for the rest of the day after that, and then not be able to concentrate when I had time after that -- because then the whole IC is held up waiting for me to finish my post. If other people were able to keep going, and I could sit down and write my post all at once at a later time, then things would be less confusing, I think.

Besides, I really don't think it's fair to say "if you have two minutes to spend on your phone then you SHOULD write at least PART of a post", when it would be a much more efficient use of my time to wait and write it all at once later... I mean, posting from a phone isn't impossible, but it is harder, and I don't see the point in trying to use my phone to write half a sentence when it would I'd be able to get more done at a faster rate if I just waited to write it all at once in a better environment.

Reactions: Behelit and rissa
Not an excuse, imo.

Note; On Phone, WIP IC

The way I look at it is this:

This is a fucking hobby. I do it to relax and have fun. It's not a job. When I treat it like one, all it does is stress me out and make it not fun for me. The way you describe it makes it sound like a job, a chore, and I'm just not about that.

Well I wouldn't want to make a WIP IC post when I had two minutes to spare on my phone, only to be busy for the rest of the day after that, and then not be able to concentrate when I had time after that -- because then the whole IC is held up waiting for me to finish my post. If other people were able to keep going, and I could sit down and write my post all at once at a later time, then things would be less confusing, I think.
Note; these are generalized Yous. Not meant as You, but as in You people.

You're making people wait for your post either way. Whether or not you've worked on a WIP IC post or not. Eitherway, they're still waiting.

Besides, I really don't think it's fair to say "if you have two minutes to spend on your phone then you SHOULD write at least PART of a post", when it would be a much more efficient use of my time to wait and write it all at once later... I mean, posting from a phone isn't impossible, but it is harder, and I don't see the point in trying to use my phone to write half a sentence when it would I'd be able to get more done at a faster rate if I just waited to write it all at once in a better environment.

This is about to come off very cutting, but its something I deal with in a video game Company as well. Its called don't join a thing that makes you commit either two minutes of your time, or an hour of your time. When someone joins a RP, as I said, when they put up the sheet it says

"I am making a commitment to this and will put some form of effort into a post, whether that be two minutes, or an hour"

Do not join a RP. If all I get as a GM or Member is pointless excuses of why managing time is so hard.

The way I look at it is this:

This is a fucking hobby. I do it to relax and have fun. It's not a job. When I treat it like one, all it does is stress me out and make it not fun for me. The way you describe it makes it sound like a job, a chore, and I'm just not about that.

No its common sense. If you say you're going to do something, hobby or not. You do it!

If you're going to commit to something you commit to it. It's not that it's a job. It's about doing what you said you're going to do. That's not a job and I wouldn't be so harsh on people if they did what they said they are going to do.

You inconvenience everyone if you do not post and make a bunch of excuses.

Note; these are generalized Yous. Not meant as You, but as in You people.
And I get that. But my point is that not just me, but even RPers in general can still have a similar stance as me... hence why I disagree with what you said before.

This is about to come off very cutting, but its something I deal with in a video game Company as well. Its called don't join a thing that makes you commit either two minutes of your time, or an hour of your time. When someone joins a RP, as I said, when they put up the sheet it says

"I am making a commitment to this and will put some form of effort into a post, whether that be two minutes, or an hour"

Do not join a RP. If all I get as a GM or Member is pointless excuses of why managing time is so hard.
And if a person can commit and can get a post in in a timely manner, why does it matter if they don't try to post while they're on their phone? Why can't they wait till they have a moment when it'll be easier for them to do it?

No its common sense. If you say you're going to do something, hobby or not. You do it!

If you're going to commit to something you commit to it. It's not that it's a job. It's about doing what you said you're going to do. That's not a job and I wouldn't be so harsh on people if they did what they said they are going to do.

But I would rather have a member of my RP be honest with me in explaining why they haven't been posting than to say "I'll get to it tomorrow" and then not do it then, either...

That's why I try to tell my members that I won't get mad about excuses. Because I'd rather know the reasons why they haven't been posting than for them to feel like they have to promise to get a post out and then not be able to do it because something came up. If something came up, I want to know about it -- and I wouldn't want to make members feel like they're afraid of telling me because they don't want to be seen as just giving excuses...

Reactions: rissa

While I both agree and disagree, it's really down to the player. The player needs to be able to have enough sense to know if they can or cannot meet the posting requirement. But Players and DM/GM need to realize that sometimes things come up. It's called life and allow for adjustments. If the player at any point sees things aren't getting better and they cannot continue meeting that requirement, they need to bow out gracefully rather than continue to hold up the group as a whole.

I think this whole portion of the topic is down to players being considerate and understanding that their real lives and their inability to meet those post requirements have a fundamental impact on the success of the RP.

Edit: How they post shouldn't be an issue. Everyone has their preference. As long as they are in fact meeting the required posting ON TIME.

Last edited by a moderator:
First off before I respond to the two quotes, let me make it clear cause I don't think I have been clear. I am not saying Every RPr is making excuses. The type of players I am specifically talking about is the Never Post, Too Many Hiatus, Never Communicate type of members. Who give me excuses, but never remedy a situation. I don't mean EVERY RPr. I Mean that small % that does not post ever! And does not communicate ever! Then shows up weeks later, like 4 weeks after making the RP hold up.
And I get that. But my point is that not just me, but even RPers in general can still have a similar stance as me... hence why I disagree with what you said before.

And if a person can commit and can get a post in in a timely manner, why does it matter if they don't try to post while they're on their phone? Why can't they wait till they have a moment when it'll be easier for them to do it?
But I would rather have a member of my RP be honest with me in explaining why they haven't been posting than to say "I'll get to it tomorrow" and then not do it then, either...

That's why I try to tell my members that I won't get mad about excuses. Because I'd rather know the reasons why they haven't been posting than for them to feel like they have to promise to get a post out and then not be able to do it because something came up. If something came up, I want to know about it -- and I wouldn't want to make members feel like they're afraid of telling me because they don't want to be seen as just giving excuses...
Then they're fine. A person who is timely, but gets a post up in a reasonable time is fine. It's not those type of members I am worried about. It's the type of members who are not timely. Who don't post on a schedule. And just post whenever they feel like it. That's great and all, but a RP is about participation. And it's about a group. It's not yourself you're impacting, but other people.

It's not about forcing yourself to post. It's about recognizing other people may want to RP too. And posting for other people. You know self discipline and responsibility.
While I both agree and disagree, it's really down to the player. The player needs to be able to have enough sense to know if they can or cannot meet the posting requirement. But Players and DM/GM need to realize that sometimes things come up. It's called life and allow for adjustments. If the player at any point sees things aren't getting better and they cannot continue meeting that requirement, they need to bow out gracefully rather than continue to hold up the group as a whole.

I think this whole portion of the topic is down to players being considerate and understanding that their real lives and their inability to meet those post requirements have a fundamental impact on the success of the RP.
Well its why my formula is this

Communication + Effort = I'm Okay

I had to write a longer thing atop, that my problem is not with the everyday RP member. Its the people who never show up. Who never post. Who never put in the effort of time or communication. Than show up out of the blue and bat their eye lashes at me with excuses.