Rivals OOC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was about to ask - are the recruiters openly asking for new recruits? I know it was the case in your post, but I wanted to make sure that was the usual means. As the plan stands, she'll meet up with Walter and they'll go together to sign up.

That's something I thought about doing several different ways.

One where they sign up can be like an application form. The person signs, answers certain questions in the right ways, and then gets tested by a Ray Pilot (I'll explain that in my next post).

Another involves the mysterious Mother Unit making the decisions, selecting candidates from the population directory of the entire Rival system. Again, Pilots do the final test.

They aren't ALWAYS looking, though. Just when numbers are low or there's talk of another potential skirmish with the Wanderers. Which would you rather do? Old-fashioned enlistment, or machine-coordinated lottery? The way you want to keep going tells me you want enlistment.

That's something I thought about doing several different ways.

One where they sign up can be like an application form. The person signs, answers certain questions in the right ways, and then gets tested by a Ray Pilot (I'll explain that in my next post).

Another involves the mysterious Mother Unit making the decisions, selecting candidates from the population directory of the entire Rival system. Again, Pilots do the final test.

They aren't ALWAYS looking, though. Just when numbers are low or there's talk of another potential skirmish with the Wanderers. Which would you rather do? Old-fashioned enlistment, or machine-coordinated lottery? The way you want to keep going tells me you want enlistment.
I can certainly change from that route, that was just my initial thought.

Post's finished! I've kept it vague enough to let us throw in whatever we want.

Last edited:
Like I was trying to say, I hadn't actually put that much thought into the process.

The vagueness works. Maybe we can combine ideas. Like that millions of people apply, but the AI shifts out some of the rejects, leaving the pilots to sort through the rest.

I'll start my reply after work. Still gotta find a good suburb pic for the Valley.

Know how I want to finish, but tired. Will wrap up my post tomorrow. Plan to point Max in Oswin's direction.

Sounds good.

Well Max isn't quite at the spaceport yet, but that was turning into the one of the longest posts I've ever done, so I felt I should wrap it up and save the rest for next post.

No worries - I should have a post up...sometime in the distant future. Probably by the end of the weekend.

Okay. Can you give me a clue what Green and Khan will be up to? I'm kind of hogging all the drama, so I was just wondering.

That would ultimately depend on how they sign up for the Rays - that'll be step one in the post, but I'm thinking of throwing in some debt for them of some sorts or maybe a higher-up going after Khan (not the most original idea...basically makes him Han Solo, but I'll make it work).

I'm confused. Didn't they sign up already?

Bolbast Frate has some power on Aguaceles. You can make their higher-up someone who works for him if you want.

I'm confused. Didn't they sign up already?
Was up for debate. Didn't know what route we wanted to take the application. I've a few ideas, but is there anything you think is a must for it?

At the moment, no. Application is one of those things I never really thought about. I guess there would be standard moral questions, maybe some hypothetical situations to see how they respond to stress and see how they make decisions. What were you thinking?

At the moment, no. Application is one of those things I never really thought about. I guess there would be standard moral questions, maybe some hypothetical situations to see how they respond to stress and see how they make decisions. What were you thinking?
Either a simulation (mildly inspired by the kobayashi maru) wherein they're presented with a very difficult challenge that tugs on skill, quick thinking, and teamwork...Or a standard hell-week like training program.

Like the simulation idea, though getting the details right might be difficult. I'm picturing an advanced video game room. Hell-week? You mean like boot camp?

More like SEAL training. First week tests your physical endurance, roots out the weaklings. Then you've got the second week that tests mental ability to knock out all the jar heads. What you're left with is the best of the best, left to do what the Rays do.

Sounds military. The one thing Rays don't tolerate is a soldier.

But I like the concept. We can tweak it so it seems less like they're looking for soldiers, and more like they're just testing your endurance. I really feel we should add some sort of moral test, too.

I really feel we should add some sort of moral test, too.
That'll be good to add.

I think, then, the simulation's the best bet with maybe an extra endurance portion added on. First they test for your style and your ability to work in a team, then to see if you've got the mettle to fly with the best. I feel that's really what they'd look for: people who feel like they're tough enough.

Okay. I think we've got a fairly good test now. The butterfly, the final test, was made to see if, after passing everything else, there was a chance the Rays would accept them. Otherwise all the testing is worthless.

Reactions: ze_kraken
There anything else I need to know about some specifics before I get to working on the post?

Status
Not open for further replies.