Rise of the Runelords: Chapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just...gonna...

OptimalThoseFoal.gif

*dives into the hedge after Tegan*

For what is worth, I've got the beginnings of a cunning plan to salvage this. Shall message you shortly.

Yay I'm not evolved this time.

Looked like you guys had fun last night. Maybe Rodeh should trade his really great sword in for a regular great sword or even a foam one. Yes we should all only be a looked to use non lethal foam weapons.

I'll have a real talk moment, so Asmo doesn't look completely alone in his insanity-rage.

I do feel the pressure from time to time, like it's up to me to figure everything out, and piece the puzzle together, even the plot hooks don't involve my character, because-- come on, this is DnD, you know everything is connected. Things just don't happen for no reason. And yes, running off ahead of the group, working parallel but in the shadows, and optimizing a character that has excellent info-gathering skills, but ZERO combat skills (ie--can't defend herself if her cover is ever blown) to compensate for it. It is a challenge I have enjoyed, though I would prefer it if my character could work more cohesively with a group.

Maybe I can do that in Chapter 2, if the villain isn't someone important to An-Nur that she has to protect with her life. That way, I can tell people what I'm planning without having to be all sneaky sneaks.

But yeah, I was frustrated to after a slog through a cave, then finally, finally, we run into an NPC who knows stuff and can be questioned, and hey, that's the one thing I'm good at, only to kill the character in one swing, right before we could try to capture the NPC again on the next turn. Maybe I should have stated, in all caps, that I was going for subjugation and not for the kill. By then it was late, especially for those in the UK, and our brains were mush. By then I was more than ready to just get the deets out of this guy and call it a night.

I know that I make mistakes and miss details, because I'm just one person--there's no conceivable way I'm going to figure everything out on my own. I don't expect everyone to be Sherlock Holmes, or to play their character differently, just...leave some NPCs alive from time to time so I can do my job.

Fighter's gotta axe, Bard's gotta sing, let's try to make sure everyone gets to do their...thing? *has garbage thrown at her*

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Aarkom - you're involved too.

That last mini-session was a grind because you and Dhoryl were convinced that you were being screwed over, even though Jin and Ina had repeatedly told you their motivations. Yet you just kept on rolling Sense Motive, for about 3 hours, and quibbling over every little detail of the proposal. Then another hour discussing how to rob, dupe or intimidate a bookseller just because he didn't immediately bend over and hand you a jar of lube. Then you tell the sheriff that you're here to interrogate a prisoner and you're both absolutely shocked that Hemlock wants to come along and bring a lawyer with him. And finally, with two targets - one a Sczarni leader who's intricately involved with everyone in town and who was fucking the woman in the first cell, you instead go to the second cell and ask An-Nur for the location of Tsuto, a man who ran off into the wilderness 3 weeks ago because An-Nur ACTIVELY engineered his escape. Then you freeze up when she shrugs her shoulders.

This is not good bounty hunting.

These are things I can't anticipate. I can't look deep into myself and say "Hey Asmo, you're a bad DM - you should've done it this way. Give them a break.". And I don't think I'm pulling a Dave and making the plot opaque. No - this is Crazy Pill Kingdom.

I'm not asking you all to be hippies and invite every monster you find to a tea party. Just remember that we're all grown up now, and this a mature, living, breathing campaign setting. Not every monster is a loot-dropping meat-sack; and not every NPC is a one-dimensional fuck-you or help-you floating question-mark icon.

I'm getting the sense that I've got four or five apathy guys sitting at the table. I can only handle one.

Last edited:
*looks around at everyone while peering through a one way mirror... aka a phone*

Um, I would like to do my mini session but I won't be able to until I come home. How does the 20th sound, Asmo?

*.... sinks onto the floor in a puddle*

20th is good.

What news from Kinovia?

We haven't been able to talk much cause we've been working and I'm sleeping in a stranger's house. I get home on the 18th so we will talk then.

Probably should have taken my meds and not let my thoughts fester for days before posting this, but here goes. (Sorry if it gets a little chef ramboleem or overly emotional.)

I would like to take this chance to apologize and for all of my involvement in pushing you all to have to post the past few big messages. Truly. No humor. No silly references. I am sorry. The LAST thing I would want to is drag the experience down.

Regarding NPCs, when I came back to the session (I still fucking hate my internet for that, because I was trying to be helpful.), my character was being held hostage by a ghoul. I didn't have a clue what was going on or where we were. When I was trying to ask for information, I didn't get anything. So when I tried to scroll up, next thing I know, Jin was being attacked. So I just when with what a NG, protective, warrior would do: Save the NPC and take care of the threat. Not only that, I remembered how it was said that it would suck if she was killed. That was jsut the route my thinking went. It was never my intention to step on any toes. I am sorry. If it would suit you all, if my nets decides to be a jerk, I can just stay out of the session. Because I seemed to just fuck things up (which doesn't seem to be anything new, at this rate). As for Hemlock, if I seemed dismissive, that was also a mistake. In fact, ever since the beginning of this campaign, I have actually been interested in him and Rodeh developing some sort of story as well. Maybe even a mini-session, but with everything else going on, that mission might be a secondary thing at best. It's not like I could just go off and follow him and leave the party (Unless I was supposed to.)

Compared to the rest of you, in my mind, I personally feel like Hawkeye to the rest of the Avengers. I never truly feel like I am on your level. By this, I mean in comparison to roleplaying, figuring things out, etc. that I always feel lacking. I'd like to think that I have improved, but with things like this going on, I am not so sure. Which is entirely my fault, of course, I am merely trying to explain where I am coming from.

I want to help, but I don't seem to know how. Either that or suspicions of not being up to par is more than just paranoia. Should make a different character? Should I just leave? I really don't know what I should do.

Forgive me. *Hides behind Tegan's bush*

I for one will be better about broadcasting my intentions during play so others can know what's up and/or weigh in, because I think that's part of our teamwork hiccups. This isn't all Ceru's fault. It takes two (or seven) to miscommunicate.

When we rejoin the main plot, there will be an investigation. And An-Nur will be in prison.

If all of you take the attitude that it's not your part to work stuff out, this game will break.

I understand your doubts. You're worried that you'll make a wrong assumption, or I will cockblock you or screw you over. I've played with DMs like that. But trust me - it's not my job to keep you in a state of confusion. I don't take any pleasure in that.

And if you DO get screwed over - so what? You get an even more interesting story. Look at An-Nur - she is plagued with weaknesses.

There seems to be a perception that you will somehow "lose" D&D if your character shows any weakness, commitment, personal connections or interest. This results in a party cluttered with "strong silent types" and people just waiting to hit things.

It's boring. The adventures of An-Nur and her four murdering friends is boring. There's no point continuing that story.

If you are not smart or charismatic, do what you do in real life - improve yourself, research stuff or create ties with others. There is a whole town of people willing to help you.

And if you have no motivation then I can't help you. That's the one thing you have to find by yourself. If you've created a character who doesn't give a fuck when goblins raid a town or demons are summoned or evil cults rise and people die, then your character is broken. There's no reason to show up every Friday.

I'll slow things down for the next few sessions, and see what development we get. But the one thing I want to break right now is the player culture of "Oh, it's someone else's job to give a shit about that. I'm just gonna make jokes and wait for the loot."

That kind of attitude will trap us all in the Ilium/Crimvale cycle of me screaming at you, you guys apologizing, all of us trying again and getting it right, then you guys relaxing back into your chaotic-stupid armchairs until I scream at you again.

*Sees her character's name mentioned a whole bunch of times*

*slowly sinks under the water until the attention is off of her*

In other news, Walmart has finally stopped toying with its food and fully devoured our dearest Kino. He's no longer able to make the Friday sessions.

So your friendly Magus of Asmodeus will now be played by.... Asmodeus.

His sword He is a cool character, and we don't want to lose it him. And having a regular GM-controlled serial killer scholar should be helpful.

I'll post a bio for him in the Chapter 2 thread now.

@Kino - Thanks for the ride, dude. It was good while it lasted. Let us know if you ever get spat out.

I BET THEY HAVE LIKE A MILLION MAGI IN THEIR HOME DIY SECTION

THEY CAN SPARE ONE

Last edited by a moderator:
@Cerulean i don't think your role playing is bad at all, it's far better then mine. Mine is questionable at best, probably due to me being a left brain Type of person. Give me figures, and logic problems and I'm fine but I do struggle regards the creative side of things. My spelling and grammar is awful (probably why I failed English) and so take so long over think about what I am typing.

It's a shame about people's net connections being problematic. Is it possible to keep the roll20 app running in the back ground on a tablet or smart device so are able to see the chat window at least. What about getting someone's cell or fb so you can let the dm or group immediately know if you fall offline as sometimes it's not spotted straight away. As for the fatigue issue I have no idea how to solve that apart from an IV drip of coffee. Just thinking out aloud.

I think there's a companion app for Roll20 that works on iPhones and Android. Doesn't show the maps, but it does the chat/journals/etc. Might be a handy back-up.

Mini-session for the Brothers tonight, with Kolto trying to speak to Scarnetti's Lumber Elf. Also, random woman offering to help the Brothers not piss off everyone they meet. And a possible visit to crazy, crazy An-Nur.

Status
Not open for further replies.