Rigormortis - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Analiese studied the building he was pointing to, then looked down the street at the gas station. "I may be able to set up a diversion there, at the gas station." She said as she thought. It would be risky, but what wasn't risky these days? She stretched out underneath the makeshift tent, still thinking. It took her awhile, but she eventually drifted to sleep. Then the dreams started again. The nightmares.

Analiese was laying in bed. Her old bed, the one with the purple sheets and half a dozen pillows. She sat up with a yawn and looked around. Suddenly, a laughing Danae bolted into the room with her chestnut curls flying behind her. "I'm hungry, Ana! Come make breakfast!" Danae dove into the bed and clambored up next to her. Ana laughed. "In a minute, Danae." She teased. "Just wait." Danae sat straight up in the bed, staring at Analiese as her face slowly changed. "...Danae?" Analiese said as she reached for her hand. Danae's face was warping grotesquely, her beautiful blue eyes going dead. "I'm hungry, Ana." The voice wasn't Danae's anymore. Suddenly the demon that had replaced her sister dove towards Analiese's face with a twisted snarl.

Analiese woke with a strangled gasp. Despite the slight chill in the night air, she was sweating. She was trembling as she slowly made her way past the sleeping Lexi and to the edge of the building. It was still night time, not a trace of sunlight to be seen. A cool breeze brushed against Analiese's hair and gently stirred it as she sat down on the edge. She was done sleeping for tonight, that was for sure. Well, it gave her plenty of time to think of a distraction. She looked back at the building across the street. She hoped they were holding up alright. She tugged her necklace out from underneath her shirt and twisted the charm between her fingers as she thought.

Sometimes Z.C. wished he had the luxury of dreaming again. This was his first thought as he shook himself from a tenuous sleep, the far off gunshots and moans not conclusive to a good night's rest. He stirred as he sat himself up from his bedroll, and looked upon the stars. Ever since the power went out, light pollution was reduced to near-zero, which meant that there were more stars in an urban area than he had ever remembered. The outline of the Milky Way was prominent, and hauntingly beautiful amidst the chaos.

He stood up. He briefly wanted to smoke a cigarette, but something told him not to. He looked over and saw Analiese toying with a chain around her neck absentmindedly as she looked upon the building opposite. It seemed that she cared deeply for those that were left, even if she didn't outwardly show it. He walked over to her, leaning against a railing as he gazed across the street. He retrieved a flask from his ballistic vest, and took a short pull, the liquid smelling of gin. It was against his rules, given that he had only met these people, but he knew that they were safe, for now. He offered the flask to Ana, and spoke in a quiet voice. "I'm not really a social drinker... but would you like some gin?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Cottontail slept restlessly on the roof. Zackery's late night serenade had a lulling affect, but it couldn't keep away any nightmares. He found a slightly secluded position between the edge and an A/C unit, and simply snuggled inside. The problem wasn't comfort, as he still claimed a decent sleeping bag, but the feeling of exposure. In the subway, Cottontail could at least feel the cold comfort of walls, doors, and a roof. Out here, it was almost like being naked. Every sound woke him wide awake, and left him paranoid. His dreams were feverish and nonsensical. He woke up for good before anyone else, debating if he was sick or anxious. Probably both. God, I haven't slept that bad in weeks. Not since my first death.

Cottontail remained wrapped up in his bag, fearful of any night time chills, but eventually heard others stir. Analise was the first to awaken, alarmed by the state of the strangers across the street. Zackery slept just as bad as Cottontail had, but seemed as alert as ever. Both people seemed to be concerned about the others. Why shouldn't they.For all we know they could be cut throats. As long as no one is dismembered. I could not handle the procedures for any major injuries like this. Cottontail slowly emerged from his makeshift cocoon. Despite the knowledge he was safe with a friendly sharp-shooter next to him, Cottontail still couldn't shake the overall sense of dread he felt. Not quite nausea, more like... exhaustion.

He walked towards those who were awake, noticing in his stupor it was still night. Dammit. Probably didn't even sleep for a few hours. Analise still focused on the building across the street at Cottontail's approach, but Zackery saw him coming. He offered a "good morning" with the flash of his flask. Even in his state, Cottontail could smell Zackery's gin. The scent was nostalgic, as it was Father's favorite drink. Aw to hell with it. Maybe some alcohol will tide me over. Cottontail asked, in a pensive way, " May I have a shot? Sleep... eluded me all night... well, I guess the part I lied through." Cottontail wasn't much of a drinker, but it just might help with his nerves. Wonder if Analise can handle her liquor?

Analiese glanced up at Z.C., a little startled at his silent approach. She eyed the flask for a moment. She'd never been allowed to drink, but..."Tell hell with it." She muttered. "I guess coach wouldn't care anymore." She took a drink, gagging at the taste before swallowing the liquid. She coughed a bit as she handed it back to him. "Sorry. I don't really drink much." She looked over at Cottontail as he made his way over. It seemed he'd slept about as well as the rest of them.

"I guess sleep is a luxury no one has anymore, huh?" She said. "You think they're safe in there?" She looked back at the building across the street. She liked to pretend she didn't care about others, but the thought of losing anyone, even a stranger, tore her apart. She tucked the necklace back into her shirt before looking back to the others once more.

A-L-R-I-G-H-T break S-E-E break Y-O-U break A-T break D-A-W-N

With that Diana sat back with a heavy sigh. Slowly and carefully she stretched her legs out in front of her, her teeth clenched against the pain that shot up her leg at the movement. Even though she did not have complete trust in these strangers she wished that she could have made it over right away. But, with visability so poor it would be only sheer luck if both she and Will made it over without getting bitten or killed. So for now there was nothing to do but hunker down for the night and wait for the morning to come. Thankfully it was a pretty fair night so Diana just grabbed a couple shirts from the box and made herself a bit of a pillow. Will soon wandered back as well, having been unable to find the key that led up to the roof.

"We're going to have to make a run for it tomorrow. The guys across the way have some kind of plan I think." Diana said quietly her eyes staring up at the dark ceiling above their heads.

"You can walk?" Will asked his voice hardly more than a whisper as he settled himself down right next to his older sister. There was no answer from Diana, there was no need of one, even at his young age Will understood that sometimes there wasn't really a choice in the matter. Down on the streets you could still hear the moans and shuffling foot steps of the dead, and in the far off distance you could just catched the angry cracks of a gun. Sleep aluded both of them for a long time but for different reasons. Diana would have usually been asleep in minutes, the sound of guns was almost white noise at this point, and the nameless pup that they had picked up had a better sense of smell and hearing than both of them, so if anything tried to creep up on them they would be given a bit of warning, no it was her leg while the pain wasn't biting like it was when she tried to walk it just kept up a burning, throbbing ache that was hard to ignore. Will on the other hand kept starting awake everytime he heard the sharp snap of a gun going off, something about the sound put him on edge even more than the moans. However, eventually, both managed to drift off to sleep.

When Diana awoke it was still dark out but sunrise was not far off. Will was still fast asleep and seeing the dark circles under his eyes she couldn't find it in her heart to wake him so she took the time to get herself ready. Firstly she decided to take care of her leg. Upon removing the bandages was not to pleased at what she saw. While much of the bleeding had stopped the wound was red and very raw looking, and if she stretched the cut apart just a bit she could see the shard of glass glinting. After pouring a bit more vodka on the wound, something that made her hiss silently through her teeth, she used some more of the bandages that Will had made to re wrap the cut. Then pushing herself up she moved herself so that she could have a clear veiw out of the window at the roof across street, with her back resting against the side of a desk for support. There was not much to do now but wait until day break.

Z.C. handed the flask to Cottontail, who took a moderate pull upon the hard alcohol, then handed it back. Z.C. shook the flask slightly; half full. He stowed it away into his ballistic vest's pocket, and turned to Analise.
"They must have sealed off the stairs, otherwise they would have been overrun by now." Zackary did a quick gear-check, and saw he still had his four flares. Those would come in handy.

"There needs to be enough noise and light to draw Zed away from both inhabited buildings on this street. Here's the plan: Me, or one other lucky volunteer, will throw down the sheet ladder and make a break for the gas station. Although utilities have been out for a long time, there should still be a fair amount of fuel in cans somewhere at the gas station. That person will dump out fuel around the building and light it on fire." This plan elicited some incredulous stares.

"Since we don't have explosives, burning down the barren gas station might be our best bet. I will be the one setting the fire, unless any of you are insistent."

Analiese shook her head. "It'd be safer to go to the gas stations via the rooftops rather than the street." She pointed out. "There's only one jump that might give people trouble. I made it over easily enough, but I'm a good jumper too." She thought for a minute. "If we can find a way to delay the explosions for a minute or two, we can get in and out through the rooftop without being in any danger."

She was thinking out loud now. She realized it probably sounded stupid and flushed a bit. "Sorry." She said. "It's a stupid idea." She pulled her legs up and rested her chin on her knees as she continued to think. She couldn't think of anything else, herself.

Z.C. thought for a bit, realizing that was a better plan of action."No, no... that's a better idea. The infected will be distracted by the explosion without risking anybody in the group. Ana, since you've made it over the gap without issue, and you're fast, it might be better that you start the diversion, while me and Cottontail provide overwatch and deal with any stragglers on the street that notice the duo trying to cross."

Z.C. unholstered his USP and peered over the edge of the convenience store, gauging ranges. It shouldn't be too difficult to pop noggins at this range, though he wish he had a rifle to better cover with. He noticed that the burnt orange tendrils of morning were starting to creep up... it was nearly time.

"Are you up for being the bait, Ana? I'll give you a flare to light the gas at a distance, if you do." Z.C. said as he pulled out a maglite and sent Morse to the duo across the street.

I-T break I-S break A-L-M-O-S-T break D-A-W-N ... M-O-V-E break A-T break S-O-U-N-D break O-F break E-X-P-L-O-S-I-O-N

Analiese nodded as she stood. "I'm fine with that." She said. She was a little uneasy at this risky plan, but she was also thrilled as well. The adrenaline was pumping already. She tugged her long hair back and put it in it's usual braid. "I'm going to leave my bow here, it'll just slow me down." She stretched as she got ready for some fast running. The last thing she wanted to do was pull something and fall. "Give me the flair." She said. "I'm ready." She realized that she'd have to get onto the ground long enough to spill the gas and frowned. "Does anyone have a knife?" She asked. "I'll have to leave the roof, and I need protection."

Z.C. handed two flares to Analiese, the woman tucking it into her waist. "Just in case you miss a throw." He also thought for a bit. Although Ana said that she wasn't much of a fighter, Z.C. saw... potential. He pulled his trench knife out of its sheath, and pressed it into Ana's hands, the woman closing her knuckles around the gaps of the brass-knuckled handle.

"Keep two things in mind. Number one, Stab for the temple or the top of the skull and withdraw fast. It's a steel spike; it'll never get stuck. Number two, if you get grappled, deliver a brass knuckle punch to the Zed's goddamn face and you'll stagger it. A good punch uses the momentum of your legs to increase the force of your blow. I'm going to want this back, alright? Get moving."

He motioned to Cottontail to make ready, the man chambering a round into his 9mm in anticipation. Z.C. also looked over at Lexi. "Somebody might be injured and unable to climb, so I'm going to need your help in pulling them up using the knotted rope, alright?"

Diana had been drifting off a little when the light flashed on from across the street. Sitting up she fumbled around for her laser pointer with one hand as she used the other one to gently tap Will on the foot. The boy came around with a start, sitting up so rapidly that he startled the pup who had been sleeping pressed up against his back. But as soon as he say that it was only Diana he relaxed, he didn't need her to tell him that it was time to head out as he went about gathering their stuff. Finding her laser she limped closer to the window and signaled back.
O-K
Now they just had to make sure that they were ready. While Will gathered their things Diana carefully limped over to the trapdoor and began moving the blockcade. She had to be careful not to make to much noise, it wouldn't do to have the enitire hoard coming in the moment the baracade was out. The last bit that had to be moved was the desk. For this Diana needed Will's help, but even so they had to move it only a little bit at a time so that it didn't scrap noisily against the floor. Now came the dangerous part, actually opening the door. Drawing out her knife Diana exchanged a look with Will, who was standing a few feet away with his crowbar clutched between his hands, before slowly opening the door a crack. At first she couldn't see much, but soon she was able to spot four zombies wandering around the store. Closing the door silently Diana shifted herself so that she was kneeling on the door, to keep it closed or now. Silently she gestured at Will to bring her her bag, and gun. The thing was a bit heavy for the kid but her managed to drag it across the floor to her and she put that on before slinging her gun across her back. Since this would be a close ranged fight she would be relying more on her hand gun and her knife, and since she didn't want to attract anymore attention than was necessary she knew she was going to be relying more on her knife.
"Alright the second some of the Zeds down there clear out we are moving. Once the coast is clear I want you to run as fast as you can to the other building. I'll be taking the pup but you don't worry about anyone but yourself, got it?" Diana's voice was dead serious as she held her brother by the shoulders infront of her. Will could only nod as he shifted his pack so that it was positioned comfortably on his back. Mimcing the nod Diana gestured to the puppy and unzipping her bullet proof vest and the top of her shirt she stuffed the pup inside before closeing her shirt the best she could. She looked a bit on the chunky side with the pup secured in her shirt but she was beyond worrying about that. Once everything was in place she moved a bit to the side, knife in hand, and once again opened the door a crack so that she could watch and be prepared for the dash.

Last edited:
Analiese listened closely to what Z.C. was saying and nodded with a small smile. "Don't worry, I return what I borrow." She said with a grin. "See you on the other side!" She turned and started towards the gas station. First she made her way across the plywood bridge, then started jumping gaps. There was only one where she needed to get a running start. She tried not to think about all the Zed on the streets below as she slowly made her way down into the gas station itself. As she stared out into the parking lot she could see a couple of zed there outside, but she thought that if she was quiet enough she may not be spotted.

After watching for a minute she slowly pushed the door open, then winced. As she pushed the door open, the loud ding of the bell sounded through the parking lot. The zed in the parking lot turned towards the door and Analiese cursed quietly as she hurried into the open. She jammed the blade Z.C. had given her into one's head, then turned to the other as he staggered closer. This one had clearly been dead awhile, as he was clumsy and uncoordinated. She dodged his swinging hands to stab him too. When he was on the ground she bolted for the gas pumps.

She was at the last pump, tugging the handles free, when something slammed into her from the side. She gasped as she was slammed to the ground with a pair of teeth snapping inches from her face. She held it at bay with a grimace. if you get grappled, deliver a brass knuckle punch to the Zed's goddamn face and you'll stagger it. She used as much of her strength as she could to slam the but of her weapon against the creatures face. He was slammed away, and she scrambled to her feet before bolting towards the gas station once more.

She darted inside and slammed the door shut behind her. The zed bashed into the glass and she flipped the lock before running for the ladder. She could hear the glass starting to break behind her as she bolted up the ladder. She shoved the trap door closed as she tried to assess her injuries. She hadn't been bitten, thank god, but she'd scraped up her face on the asphalt when she'd been tackled. She could feel it bleeding, but she didn't worry about it now. The only thing left was to light the gas.

She pulled the flare out and lit it before rearing her arm back. She threw it towards the gas pumps, then ran towards the gap as she counted in her head. One...She leapt over the first gap and kept running. Two. The concussion of the blast behind her threw her forward, onto her stomach, and her already injured face slammed into the roof again. She could feel rubble and shrapnel flying past her, and she covered her head until it stopped. She staggered back to her feet and continued towards the other building.

As she slowly made her way back, she assessed her injuries. the left side of her face stung something awful; she'd got it pretty good. Other than that, she'd seemed to have survived pretty well unscathed. She made it onto the building and dropped next to Z.C. "How are they doing?" She asked anxiously. "Did it work?" She studied the street below as she tried to find them.

An extremely loud explosion rocked the rooftops for a second, the concussive blast a cacophony of noise. Z.C. had a brief worry... what if he sent someone to die just now? Fortunately, he spotted Ana making her way back over the rooftops, looking somewhat worse for wear with half of her face scraped up, but it was only mildly bleeding. She got close enough, and Z.C. noticed one pupil slightly more dilated than the other; she was mildly concussed. "How are they doing?" "Did it work?"

"Ana, sit down for a minute, you've got a concussion." She obliged, as Z.C. held out his hand. She was puzzled for a second, then had a moment of realization, and handed back the trench knife to Z.C., the blade covered in reddish-brown viscera. "You did great."

Z.C. looked down upon the street as he wiped his trench knife with a filthy, ripped up shirt, then stowed his blade. The walking dead were starting to mill towards the still-burning gas fire, a few shambling out of the buildings in proximity, the majority stumbling towards the explosion. Other, more decayed infected were still milling in the middle of the street, but enough to warrant some trouble.
He nodded to Cottontail; the sentiment was returned as Z.C. took out his H&K USP .45 and opened fire upon the infected in the street, Cottontail's 9mm roaring in report as well. Z.C. hoped that the extremely loud flames were enough to cover gunshots.

One. Two. Z.C. counted his shots as one zombie wearing a business suit was kneecapped, driving it to the ground. The second round splattered it's putrefied brains through the back of it's head.
Three. A third round landed dead center, exploding a nearly-unrecognizable infected's head entirely.
Four. The fourth round slammed through a completely nude male zombie's face; it fell backwards, inert.
Five. Six. The fifth round impacted a zombie's chest, with the second ripping away it's jaw; a deafening report from Cottontail mangled the rest of the walker's head.

Z.C. ceased fire, but Boleslav fired a few more rounds, dispatching of a few more of the undead. The street that separated the two buildings was clear, for the time being. Other infected would hear the gunshots and start moving, but it bought time. Zackary tied the sheet ladder to a pipe that curved out of the convenience store's roof, then threw it down, the end hanging a foot from the ground against the street side of the convenience store's front. He ejected the magazine and weighed it out with his hand; it felt about halfway, so he slid it back into his weapon with a satisfying sound. The duo across the street better make their move now, he thought.

The explosion rocked the liquor store to its base, bottles rattling in their shelves. Almost immediately three of the zombies in the main store started moving towards the commotion. The last one was on the older side and seemed to be having trouble coordinating itself. Opening the trap door all the way Diana carefully lowered herself onto the floor. Knife already drawn she crept up behind the decaying figure and in one quick movement sunk her knife into it's temple. Grabbing the back of the zombie's collar she half supported the thing's fall so that it didn't make a loud thump when it hit the ground. Quickly gesturing to Will they slowly went forward, stopping on either side of the door. While most of the zombies had moved towards the explosion there were still some stragglers.

This was a problem, in her condition Diana did not know if she could deal with the number of zombies left. That is until she hear the sharp cack of gunshots. Peeking around the doorway she watched as two people on the roof quickly picked off those zombies who had stayed back. As soon as the last one was down Diana gave Will a gentle push forward, without hesitating he dashed across the street and began climbing up the rope ladder. At the top he allowed himself to be pulled abroad by the crew. Diana let the building right behind Will but her progress across the street was much slower, her limp accentuated by the fact that she was trying to run. She managed to cross the street without to much trouble but as she started to climb it was obvious that she was having trouble. Without the use of her leg she had to rely on her arms to pull herself up and between her pack, her gun, and the pup the extra weight was really making it difficult.

Z.C. and Cottontail first pulled up a boy, about 6-7 years old, with a mop of dirty blonde hair. "Good job, kiddo." Z.C. told the boy as he gestured to Lexi to come over. Z.C. looked over the edge of the building, and saw a woman bedecked in U.S. Natl. Guard camo and outfitted with weaponry, carrying gear, ammo, and of all things, a dog, nary more than a puppy, the pooch's head sticking out of a frame pack. He then noticed a bloodstained bandage around her leg; she was making progress climbing, but not fast enough, infected more than 3 blocks away shambling towards the gunshots. "G.I. Jane! Wrap your arms and leg around the ladder and don't let GO!" She obliged as both Z.C. and Lexi pulled synchronously, hauling the woman up to the rooftop level, escaping the swiping and grasping hands of the dead. She climbed over the railing herself, careful to not put weight on her wounded leg as she let the dog down, the canine sniffing about the group's feet.

Z.C. breathed a silent sigh of relief. The plan worked. "Good to see you're in one piece, mostly. Cottontail here will take care of your wounds," said Z.C. as he gestured to the Russo-American, who was already checking his medical supplies and sterilizing his hands. "Why don't you tell us what your names are?"

My god, we did it! Proud and relieved Cottontail cheered aloud, "We did it!" Cottontail laughed, more out of relief, as the situation was serious. I can't believe I actually made my shots. The plan actually carried through. I mean, it was a good plan, but something always goes wrong. My god, we did it! Zackery looked at Cottontail uneasily. "Don't worry, I'm still sane. Just... we did it!" Cottontail's attention shifted like a cat on a mouse to the woman's wound, doctorly instinct overriding all else. He quickly noted the pus as he assist walked her away towards his bag, shooing away the child and puppy. The woman's speech was garbled, surprised by Cottontail's abrupt action.Good. Odorless green pus. She's already fighting off the infection. "This wound isn't anything to worry over, I'll have that glass out soon. The green pus, see here, is good. You're white blood cells are fighting off the infection." It will take forever digging out the pus, I might not even need tweezers. Her swelling isn't much, but the skin is more tender than usual infected cuts. Cottontail quickly dug out his bucket, and turned to Analise. "Fill this up with water and warm it. Not a boil or simmer." Cottontail's hand dug around, and emerged with a pair of large brass tweezers. Cottontail turned to the wound, and reached for his sterilized gauze. "I have to clean out some of the pus before we can pull it out, you understand." The green pus came out easily, but kept coming. Cottontail then gently groped for the shard, trying to avoid causing more pain. The shard was stuck in her leg petty far, but after a minute, Cottontail got a good grip on it. "Now I need you to bite on this wood as hard as you can, because if you jerk around while I'm pullng this out, you won't walk." The woman was compliant enough, but appeared worried. Cottontail handed her the wood, and returned to the tweezers. At his patient's signal, Cottontail began pulling out the shard. As he focused on pulling it out quickly, he saw the woman wince with tears streaming. "Don't cry dorogoy. Its almost done." The persistent shard soon came out of her leg, causing a loud clatter on the ground. Cottontail's patient spit the wood out, crying out from the release. "I'll have to do a quick bandage until Analise brings my water. We will use it to clean out any pus, then get started on a permanent bandage. But you can rest easy. The hard parts over."

As soon as the dog was free Diana slid down with her back against the railing as she breathed in a few deep breaths to steady herself. Those few moments before they had pulled her up had been coupled with momentary panic as with her arms given up to supporting her weight and one leg incompacitated the likely hood that she would be able to protect herself was slim at best. Hearing one of the men address her she looked up with a half grin. "A little longer and I think I would've been in bite sized pieces instead." All considering Diana seemed to be recovering rather well. After giving the one they called Cottontail a quick nod she started to get comfortable, first she removed the M16 from where it was across her pack, laying it on the ground next to her, before she next removed her bag placing it on her othr side. Rolling her shoulders she looked around at the group, her eyes carefully measuring each person before she next spoke.

"I'm Diana, this is my brother Will." As she spoke she gestured first to herself and then over at Will who was standing a bit off to the side, it seemed she was going to stop when the pup trotted up to her and she ruffled the dogs fur. "We haven't named this guy yet I just call him pup." About then she noticed the way that Cottentail was eyeing her wound. She made no complaint as he went about his work, just the occational wince or hiss when something tender was prodded just a little to hard. It actually seemed that Will was more worried than Diana was, even after being shooed away he kind of just hovered nearby constantly shifting from one side to another with the flightlyness of a sparrow. Diana, to her credit, was pretty stoic until the medic started to pull the glass out. Tears of pain sprang unbidden to her eyes as her jaw clentched tightly around the chunk of wood. It took a lot out of her to keep her leg relaxed. With the block of wood out of her mouth she took a few moments to just breath, at first each breath rattled her lungs but eventually she got her breathing under enough control to listen to what the doctor was saying. "I'm not crying, got some bits of zombie flesh in my eyes." And the first time since the start of the little operation she cracked a bit of a smile. Now that the worst was over Will walked up beside his sister and sat down next to her. Gently Diana wrapped her arm around her brother's shoulders leaning over to rest her cheek against his head for a moment.

Analiese pulled herself to her feet and moved to do as Cottontail had asked. She hadn't noticed it before, but now that she wasn't worrying about the other survivors a thundering ache was spreading through her head. She ignored it as she carefully got some water and heated it like he'd asked. She brought him the water, then crouched in front of the two of them. Most of her attention was on the boy, Will. She couldn't believe he'd made it this far. She was glad, but it also made her feel a guilty. She should have tried harder to get Danae out. She shook the thoughts from her head and gave him a crooked smile. "Are you two hungry?" She asked. "I have some crackers I can get you. I'm Analiese."

"Diana, I need you to keep your foot in the bucket. The warm water will clean out the remaining pus, while sterilizing the tender area surrounding it." Diana looked almost euphoric with the shard out, but readily complied. The boy going by Will hovered like a hawk near his older sister. Even though Cottontail shooed him away, the boy still hovered throughout the operation.

"Takk, Analise. The water may save young Diana's life. We don't know if the virus is waterborne, but it never hurts to double check."

Cottontail continued to observe the siblings as Diana rested her foot in the warm bucket, the boy staying by her side. Admirable, these two. Most siblings would be killing each other in a disaster like this. After the water grew cold, Cottontail checked on Diana's foot again. holding her heel in one hand while the other felt the skin. "The good news is that your pus is gone. I think whatever infected you has been subsidized by now. The tender area around the wound will heal on its own. What will trouble you is what the shard severed. Judging by your overall movement, I'd have to guess you've torn the Achilles Tendon. You may have sprained the talus bone, since you were still walking around. What you need now is rest. I'm sure some kind of physical therapy would be beneficial, but I'm afraid I am of no use with that branch of medicine."

With the end of his report, Cottontail gestured towards the makeshift tent. The rest of us will have to find a plank or pipe. More than likely, we'll have to leave the roof soon. A crutch would at least put som ung kvinne in a mobile state.

Z.C. once again removed his flask from his ballistic vest's pocket, taking a moderate pull of the gin. He wiped his mouth; after an ordeal like that, nobody could blame him for wanting a nip. He offered the flask to the female reservist. "I insist... it'll dull the pain. Call me Z.C." She took the flask, and drank deeply of the alcohol, looking slightly tipsy as she gave the flask back to Zackary. "Let me jerry-rig a crutch for you. I don't know as much about medicine as Cottontail, but a crutch will at least let you stand without further injury; we can't carry you safely without a stretcher." Z.C. walked over to the sealed entrance door to the stairwell and looked around, eventually finding a rusted pipe sticking out of the cracked plaster wall. With some effort, Z.C. pried the section of metal tubing from the plaster, walking back to the main group as he picked up a miniature section of wood, a remnant from his fortification of the rooftop. He pulled a t-shirt out of his duffel bag, ripping it into shreds, then snapped the section of wood in half over his knee. He tied the two sections of wood around the curved end of the pipe using the shredded fabric, the curvature acting as an impromptu padded support. He handed the jury-rigged crutch to Diana.

"...used to be an Eagle scout. I guess that institution has kept me alive thus far, eh? We should discuss an exit strategy off of this rooftop. I suggest that we travel southeast; there's too many deadheads in this location, and if we keep firing shots we'll have half the zombified population of Eureka on our ass. We'll have less Zed to deal with, but more rugged terrain."

Status
Not open for further replies.