Rigormortis - IC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I agree. Once we get Diana used to her crutch,we should leave." Cottontail saw the look of determination in Zackery's eyes. Like
Velikiy pozhar. Maybe he is trustworthy.... Hasn't slit my throat yet.
Cottontail sighed inwardly. Only spent a night with these guys and we are already running into the woods. Perhaps it is for the best. Maybe I could gather plants with Analise. Never know what could be growing out there. One of them outta know.

"I think the best course of action would be to wait until everyone can move. Maybe forming a plan with a Pasadena map would be effective. In case we get separated."

From a distance away, I sigh, and put down my scoped Kalashnikov. The bumbling group of survivors really got themselves into the crap this time.

Having trailed them for a while to see their worthiness [I just lost the best Rangers of Russia, dammit!], I decide that they are the best I've got. They're the only group left, besides a couple of bandit groups.. both of which had seen, and chased, him. Sadly, he had to kill them all, as they wouldn't let up. They were stupid anyways. Their only protection were their very, very crude traps, meatshields, and their use of silenced automatics to _try_ and go Rambo.

I shot them all dead with a pistol. What a sad way to go. At least their souls are now at rest.

But now with this new group, who was obviously not a bandit group, as they were too... innocent. Too helpful and hopeful to be bandits. And so, without any other option, I must choose them.

But they wish to exit the city. The city is where I need to be, to find all my ammunition, all my supplies. I still have my hideout at the shipping depot, stocked up with a godly amount of supplies. Courtesy of bandits, empty shops, and dead undead.

Hehe. Dead undead.

And so, I stand on the roof of my apartment building, surrounded by a small concrete parking lot, and a distance away, and wave my arms at them.

I wonder if they'll freak out if they know I'm a soldier from Russia. Was it not true that many games included Russia invading America? They were always fun, since Americans were pompous asses, or at least the tourists are. But the Americans always seem to win, and that is little fun to work so hard for the USSR to be shot down -LITERALLY!-

Back to the present, before memories and grief overwhelm me.

And so I wave my arms, and call out in my heavily accented voice, "Ho, Survivors! I am Russian, I am friend! Do you wish for Assistance, yes?!"

Z.C. was incredulous, hearing a man call out in half-broken English with a thick Russian accent. He was a rooftop away, and Z.C. beckoned the greyed, grizzled man to cross. He approached, joining the main group on the rooftop. Z.C. was also downright shocked; this was an actual Russian, not an immigrant or a nationalized American, given his modern Russian army uniform, ridiculous amount of weaponry on his person, and his Kalashnikov slung across his back. How did he manage to make it this far? How long has he been traveling? What did he expect to find in the U.S., crying bald eagles and obese people? So many questions... and yet Z.C. was glad that he hadn't trained that assault weapon on the main group.

"Tell us your name, Russian. But before you do, answer my question. How, in the actual fuck, did you make it over the Pacific ocean? Wasn't Russia nuked off of the face of the Earth by it's own weapons?"

Z.C. looked at Cottontail. "You know this man's language, so I might need you to interpret."

Last edited by a moderator:
Analiese was finding the excitement of the dramatic rescue and the sudden appearance of a newcomer a little overwhelming for her pounding head, so she silently retreated to the makeshift tent to lay down for a moment. She tugged an old shirt out of her bag and used it to dab at her scraped face with a wince. She realized absently that she still had one flare, and she'd have to remember to give it back to Z.C. later. For now though, she just wanted to lay down. Maybe sleep a little bit; she was really tired. She sighed as she rested her head against the cool concrete.

Calling back to them before another can join the conversation, I yell, "We have Metro, like subway! It is nuclear bunker, in case of nuclear bombing! Ahah! I am Ranger, seeking survivors to assist in fighting the mutants in Russia! I assure you, with spread, you have Watchers, Demons, and Undead to watch\! Now please, must join me, I have plenty supplies! Come quickly, meet me on three floor! I wait, I assist in killing undead!" With that finished, I turn and job back to the small doorway standing to allow the stairs access to the roof, open the door and disappear inside.

A couple minutes later, there's an explosion on the opposite side of the gas station, and something flings a couple dead bodies of men with hockey masks out onto the pavement, drawing the undead's attention with the sound and shockwave, and keeping their attention with the dead bodies.

Z.C. watched as the Crazy Ivan threw out dead human bodies into the open, hordes attracted to the fresh meat. A second explosion decimated the distracted hordes, leaving the more worse-for-wear Zeds to munch on charred bits of flesh and bone. "That crazy son of a bitch." Z.C. said, in awe. Strange thing was, he believed the crazy Russian; he took insane risks, but then again, who didn't? What concerned Z.C. was the combined threat of infected and whatever a hellblasted radioactive mess that was Russia produced. He dismissed that thought for now, and turned to the rest of the group.

"...as insane as this sounds, we're going to follow that Russian. That man knows how to survive." Z.C. peeked into the tent where Ana was shaken awake by the second explosion, still looking worse for wear with the mild concussion.

"Wake up sleepyhead! Here," Z.C. pulled out a small pill container labelled Ibuprofen, retrieved 2 capsules, and gave it to Ana, plus his canteen. She took the two capsules, and washed them down with the potable water, then handed the canteen back. "That will help with the pain; I promise that we'll reach a safe area. Whatever dangers that Russian has faced far outweighs our troubles here." She nodded with understanding.

Confident that everyone had their gear together, Z.C. addressed the survivors with his plan.

"We are going out into the open; Ivan has made us a corridor. Now, we move slowly, but steadily towards that apartment complex opposite of the burnt-out gas station, and up to the third floor, where the Russian is holed up. The most capable fighters are going to protect those that can't protect themselves, and thus engage stray Zed slightly ahead of the group. Once we reach the apartment building, the wounded go in first while capable bodies guard the door. Gunshots are out of the question, we will attract too much attention that way. Any questions?"

Analiese nodded as she took the pills and listened to Z.C. "I'm going to have to find myself a melee weapon." She said to herself as she looked around the roof. She didn't want to be someone who was always being protected; If that's how she was then she was a liability. She pulled an arrow out of the quiver and wondered how affective they were as stabbing weapons before putting it back. She didn't figure it would work.

Z.C. noticed that Ana was without a melee weapon, and was appraising her arrows. "Don't waste your arrows; they are enough to pierce a skull, but you will never get it back if you use it to stab." He returned back to the doorway leading downstairs and hunted around the barren section of wall for another pipe. To his surprise, he found an errant section of rebar. He pulled with all of his might, tearing out a section of degraded, compromised concrete with the rebar. He handed the steel rebar to Ana, who took it, puzzled.

"It doesn't look like much, but a single swing with that concrete on the end right there is enough to brain a zombie, but only once. The concrete breaks away after that. The steel rebar itself, however, is good for stunning blows, and is more than enough to crack a skull with."

Z.C. looked over at the rest of the group. "Are you all ready to move? Our opening won't last forever!"

(Sorry I'm late, school and stuff.)

Will had glanced sighly at Ana at the mention of food, looking first to his sister as though asking if it was okay. After recieving a gentle nudge he looked back at Analiese and said softly. "Yes please." Diana in the mean time gave Analiese a small wave indicating that she was good for the time being. Honestly the whole glass removal had left her feeling not all that hungry. As Will nibbled at the crackers she listened to what Cottentail had to say.
"Great, just what I need." She said glumly looking at her foot with something that could almost be discribed as disapointment. When handed the crutch she nodded to Z.C. in thanks beofre reaching out and attempting to push herself to her feet. It took a second to get herself standing up with her injured leg bent at the knee and half of her weight balanced on the crutch, but she refused any hands that were offered to her preferring to use the railing instead to help steady herself. For a little bit she glanced out over the roof tops her eyes often straying down to look at the undead that were wandering about their building.
"Do you guys have a plan for after that?" She asked curiously turning to cast a glance at the rest of the group. Personally she was aiming to hit her safe house, hoping that it was stil safe, however she knew that in her condition it was a slim chance that she would be able to get there by herself. There was also the fact that she was not totally sure that she wanted to share her plan just yet. Yes these people had helped her out more than she could hope for however she was still wary, at the moment she just couldn't take the risk of having them dump her and take her map of where the house was. She was started out of her musings by a voice. In a heart beat her hand gun was drawn however calm control kept her from pointing the weapon at the man who was yelling at them from across the way. Mentally she was cursing herself, usually she would not let someone sneak up on her, but all considered from her injury to the zombies themselves it was getting harder and harder to drown out all the white noise, especially when much of that white noise is trying to eat you. When Z.C. said that they were to go with the Russian she looked at him as though he was mad.
"I this smart." She said incrediously looking around at the group. But it seemed they were serious and while she was reluctant to put her life in the hands of this mad man she was even more reluctant to leave the safety of the group. At the sound of the voice Will had hit the floor as though it had been a gun shot, now he was up again hurridly shoving the rest of his crackers into his mouth as he got his stuff together. He only took a few moments to completely ready and once he had all of his stuff he moved to help his sister. It took most of his strength to lift Diana's back pack far enough up that she could hook it onto her arm swinging it up onto her back. With her M16 slung infront of her she let out a soft whistle calling the pup back to their side. Now with the crutch she knew it would be next to impossible for her to carry the pup so instead she picked it up and gently tucked it into Will's back pack. Gently cupping her brother's cheek in the palm of her hand she was both pleased and saddened to see that the boy already had his crow bar in hand and had a dead determined look in his eyes. What kind of hellish world would he have to grow up in, but there was nothing she could do but guide him until he could face that world on his own.
"Let's move if we want to get there in one piece." She said sourly grasping her knife in her free hand, ready for the mad dash across.

Analiese took the rebar from him with a slight nod. She pulled herself to her feet and stood with Diana and Will. She wanted to make sure that they made it alright; with Diana being injured and Will being so young they'd need help. She looked to Z.C. as she hoisted her bag onto her bag and then picked up the rebar again. "I'm ready when you guys are." She said. She looked over at Z.C. and nodded. "Let's move." She glanced towards the stairs, then moved to help unblock them from where they'd been barricaded. When the stairs were clear she looked back to Diana. "Will you need help down the stairs?" She asked. She had to be able to move fast.

Z.C. didn't wait for any more talk. He pulled his trench knife out of it's sheath with a rasp.

"Follow me, then. I'm sure Diana can make it down the stairs."

Z.C. opened up the stairwell door, peeking in. One walker was at the landing of the stairs; it noticed, and started to shamble up the steps. Zackary advanced down the stairs and delivered a boot to the zombie's face, knocking it flat on it's back. He stabbed downward with the trench knife, killing the walker with a hideous slllsh. At the landing, he discovered that two more infected were in the convenience store. Leaning up near the slightly ajar door, Z.C. delivered a slight knock to the steel with his knuckles. He got both of the infected's attention; they shambled closer to the door frame. one, two, Three!

Z.C. grabbed the doorknob of the ajar steel door and slammed it out as soon as the infected was close to the frame, cracking the zombie straight in the face, it stumbling backwards into it's compatriot, which fell over. Z.C. slammed the blade into the standing one's temple, pinning it to the side wall. He withdrew, the Zed crumpling inert, then followed up with a downward stab to the second prone zed's skull. Confident that it was clear, he gestured to the main group; they followed as Z.C. kept his eyes and ears out... until he heard a bottle rattle from behind the store counter. Z.C. darted towards the noise, and took cover by the counter... he peered over.

He didn't expect to find a living human being, taking cover behind the most hidden section of counter. He was a 20something with cropped red hair, and a trimmed beard, armed with a SigSauer and a nightstick; he looked like he could defend himself. "How long have you been there? Y'know what, nevermind, get up and follow me or be meat. Use your nightstick; no gunshots." He pulled the man to his feet. "I'm Z.C., by the way; the rest of the group is moving, so keep up, and play nice."

The other members of the group caught up, currently in the convenience store. Z.C. looked out onto the street; there were about 5 shamblers at the initial stretch to the apartment, if no shots were fired. If they got the attention of the horde... well, they would be forced to use ordinance. "Everyone ready for the second leg?"

A Zed crashed through the window and fell to the floor; Z.C. pinned the walker with his foot and drove the steel spike through the back of it's skull. He hoped they were ready.

Markus didn't have much time to react. He had almost drawn on the man, but when he presented a hand to help him up, Markus took it without argument. If anything, they would provide him with a distraction for him to escape some of the undead with. "Long enough, apparently." Markus said gruffly, hopping to his feet and readying his PR-24. The man who pulled him up was obviously the leader, and as a zombie broke through the window, the man pinned and stuck him with a fluid motion. He sas obviously skilled.

Markus darted forward beside the man and kneeled. "You guys look like you have a plan: care to let me know?" He looked over at the others in the group, the back at the man. Markus was cautious, but none of them seemed like the psycho's he had met a week ago. That was the reason he only had seven rounds left for his nine mil.

Another walker shambled quickly up to the broken window, a little girl who fell prey to the infection by an anklebiter. Z.C. winced; he always hated putting the kids at peace, it made him sick. He quickly stabbed through her skull and withdrew; the longer they stayed, the more chance that a horde would happen by.

"Red, just protect those two," he pointed at Diana and Will, "And I'll make sure that we get there."

With that, Z.C. started to advance out into the street, flanked by Ana, Cottontail, and Lexi. The newcomer brought up the rear, protecting Diana and Will. They kept a slow pace, the lack of noise not tipping off any nearby infected. Z.C. rendered another infected inert, one that was laying face down; each body could be a hypothetical landmine.

They made it half the block before four more shamblers came out into the street. "I've got the fat one," called Z.C. as the others picked their targets. He avoided an errant swipe, delivering a brass knuckle punch that laid out the undead adipose lump, which he lobotomized with the end of his now reddish-brown knife.

Excitement filled Cottontail when he heard the stranger bellow across their roof. Another inostrannykh brat? Must be some kind of cosmic joke... Zackery turned to Cottontail as a translator. Cottontail lit up at his offer, and told him "I'd love to!" I remember hearing spies had been caught in Sacremento. Better keep that tidbit hidden.

While the others worked on their escape Cottontail kept an eye on things, focusing most of his attention on Diana. Here leg will hold her back. Better talk to her about helping her run. Cottontail approached her,but nearly fell over from the loud explosion. What, already? Zackery came over, totting his big gun. "Are you all ready to move? Our opening won't last forever!" Cottontail began to object, but then he saw Diana's eyes. She was armed to the teeth, and had a look to kill. The boy tried his best to imitate her, but fear still crept into his eyes. I'll still need to watch her, but I don't think she will need it.

Cottontail pulled out his pistol, and held his knife under the handle. Cottontail tried his best to look tough, but knew he gave off a laughable vibe. "Yeah... ready." Gotta keep my other eye on inostrannykh brat. With all the confusion, shooting someone would be easy to get away with.

Cottontail followed the others, hiding his scoff at another stranger hastily stepping in. Guess success really does draw others. Soon the zed attacked, coming from all corners. Zackery handled most of them while he sent the new guy to protect Diana and Will. Cottontail shot and slashed any thing that got to close, all the while watching out for any suspicious activity from the two newbies. Most kills he went for were sloppy, leaving Lexi and Analise to finish off most zombies he attacked. Cottontail felt nearly useless as the group made their way across the street.

Diana offered Ana a gentle smile, she was touched by the offer but shoulder her crutch she made it clear tha she could managed herself. Taking the stairs nearly two at a time she kept Will close put positioned well enough back to get the benefit from the others' protection. As Z.C. cleared the main store of Zed she slowly inched her way out her eyes darting all around. A flash of red hair caught her eyes and in and instant her knife was raised, ready to take down whatever was lurking about. However she stopped when she realized that this guy wasn't dead, or undead for that matter. Taking Z.C.'s example she lowered her weapon just enough to indicate that she was not currently thinking of killing him on the spot.
"Just try to screw with us." Diana said to emphasis Zackery's "play nice." With Will in toe and the others spread about Diana made her way closer to the front door, her movements slow and ackward as she was still trying to get used to her makeshift crutch. Worst comes to worst and I came hit the damned Zed over the head with it she thought with a scowl. As the undead girl scampered up to the broken window Will made a barely audible squeak, his eyes widdening in shock and fear as he stared at the little girl no older that he was. Diana already knew the fate of the girl but she could see that something about her had shaken her little brother and for a moment she tried her best to block his line of sight. To little to late and they both watched as the girl to was layed to rest.
"Let's move." Diana said in reply to Zachery's question although she was not looking at him, her eyes still locked onto her brother. But Will was not returning her gaze, his eyes glued to the girl with the large knife wound in the side of her head, his crowbar grasped only loosely in his hands.

Analiese followed behind him and gave the new man a short nod before turning her focus back to the task at hand. She was following close behind Z.C. with the rebar held at the ready. When she looked out at the street she could see five zed between them and the apartment, but that wasn't too bad. She froze at the sight of the zombie child though, and stepped back. The girl looked nothing like Diana, but it still made Analiese's throat catch. She squeezed her eyes closed as she headed out into the street behind Z.C., then opened them again when she was past the small body. Save the tears for later, Ana. She thought. As four more zed headed towards them Z.C. took out one and she swung her rebar at another with a grunt. It slammed into the side of the Zed's head and the concrete crumbled apart. She hoisted the bar up for another swing when another zed slammed into her from the side.

She hit the ground with a gasp; holding the snapping teeth at bay with the rebar. Her arms shook as she held the zed away from her, but she wasn't strong enough to push it away. She pushed her knees underneath the zed's stomach and used her legs to flip the zed off of her. She scrambled to her feet and slammed the sharp end of the rebar into the eye of the thing before jerked it free.

"10-4. Leave 'em to me." Markus quickly fell back to the two injured people with the group. "Move as fast as you can. I'll stay with you." No sooner had Markus said this the group began to move, making their way out into the street. Several undead, those that were closer to the convenience store they had just left, shambled and lurched forward, their guttural moans giving their positions away. "Two on our six." He mentioned to the two he was protecting. He swiftly shifted behind them both, cracking one of the zeeks over the head with his nightstick. The other zombie had gotten past him, making it's way toward Diana and Wll. Markus sprinted back toward them, using the broad side of the stick and hooking it under the zombies neck, pulling it back and toppling it to the ground. Another swift swing later, and the back was clear.

Markus approached the two that were still standing there. "Is there a problem? We need to move, now!" He said, urgency apparent in his voice, lowering his tone to keep any more zombies from being attracted to them. "Is he ok?" Markus asked, motioning to Will.

Son of a bitch. What did I say about 'no gunshots.' Mused Z.C., as he switched his knife to his left, and pulled out his USP with his right. He was briefly surprised by Ana, who completely brained a tall zombie's skull with the rebar, scattering bits of concrete everywhere. She was tackled, Cottontail nailing the zed with 9mm, but Ana performed a move that would have made Bourne proud, rejoining the loose formation. He counted his shots.

One. Two. Both rounds completely destroyed a teenage walker's noggin; nothing was left from the neck up.
Three. The round rendered one female zombie inert, the empty vessel crumpling to the ground.
Four. This zombie's brains formed a Jackson Pollock on the wall opposite of Z.C., the irony of the "Kiss me, I'm VEGAN" sweater not lost on the shooter.
Five. Six. The first round grazed a thoroughly decayed zed, the second slamming into it's face.

He stuck an errant infected in the face with his trench knife, slid a new mag into his USP, and removed the knife in one smooth motion. Five mags left. "Will's OK, Red, just keep moving!"

They reached the end of the street, as the infected started to take notice no more than 50 paces away. Cottontail and Z.C. provided cover as Diane and Will, as well as the newcomer, entered the apartment first, which was oddly already clear of Zed; How nice of the Russian. Ana filed in with them, followed by Lexi. Z.C. looked over at Cottontail. "One magazine, One Horde." Cottontail nodded with grim understanding, slipping a new mag into his 9mm. The +20 zombies approached the duo, which promptly opened fire, concentrating on the close cluster of deadheads.

Z.C. didn't bother to count his shots, each subsequent bullet dropping a Zed. Cottontail fired away at the approaching group, doing considerable damage. It was only after the clicks of both of their spent firearms was the entire horde dropped. Four mags left. They both retreated into the apartments, the entire group off of the street, and comparatively safe. Z.C. shut all of the blinds, then reloaded and stowed his USP.

"That... was my second close call of the day. I hope there won't be another."

Cottontail continued to fight off the horde as best he could. He eventually found his way near Diana and Will. Both ferociously fought off the zed better than Cottontail ever could. He tried to keep a healthy distance,as Diana seemed to have entered a blood lust. He shot off a fat zed, and turned to see Analise fall over from an attacking monster. He fired at the monster, but Analise killed it on her own. Cottontail rushed over and offered his hand. She scrambled up on her own and ran back over to watching Diana and Will. Guess I really can't shoot the side of the barn. Cottontail tried to keep up as the group moved in, shooting any zed that got to close.

At Zackery's signal, they ducked into an apartment building. Cottontail stood at the side, ushering in Diana and Will. He hopped in, closing the door behind him. Zackery cut in front of him to enforce the door with debris. The rest of the group caught their breath in the entrance hallway. Cottontail scanned the hallway, all the while checking on everyone. No one seemed injured, but Diana's leg started to ache viciously now that the adrenaline had worn off. "Nothing to worry about. Maybe we can find some painkiller in the office or hotel rooms." Diana tried to play it off, but her loud grunts of pain didn't fool anybody.

Analiese leaned against the wall while she tried to catch her breath. "Let's...not do that again." She said. She put the rebar into he bag and looked around. "We go to the third floor, right?" she asked quietly. She wanted to be quiet in case there was still zed in the building. She looked around them, but it seemed pretty quiet. At least at the moment. She looked to Diana and Will before standing again. "I'll go look for some stairs, you guys get a breather." She pulled the rebar out of her bag once more and started towards the back of the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.