Return of the Dragon Tamers: The Plague of Ogual

S

Soulserenity20

Original poster
[btn=modc|https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/return-of-the-dragon-tamers-the-plague-of-ogual-ooc.52827/]OOC[/btn][btn=modc|http://www.soulroleplays.com/]Information Site[/btn][btn=modc|https://www.iwakuroleplay.com/threads/micro-return-of-the-dragon-tamers-courting-thread.154410/]Courting Thread[/btn]

• 5kqe4m.png

Return of the Dragon Tamers
    The time has come for the dragons and the humans to join forces once again...

14aydd3.jpg

• Hunting the Blackshire Stags

Narien, Illyria, Avren, Pomona

Reverie, Xylia, Alder, Saira

• Terria has been rescued and returned safely to the meadow. Her retrieval came at the cost of another talented tamer: Goliath, and his dragon Hezekiah. Terria slumbers in sickness of the body and the mind even as Merrik has spent more than a week at her side, healing her thrice daily, doing everything in his power to bring her back to the Order.

The party that ventured to eastern Galidus to sort out the issues in Kibran returned with a new stranger who turned out to be the bondmate of the Valor dragoness, Andraste. Alder Grey has joined the ranks of the Order and now works to find his place.

Shortly after the Order's reuniting in the meadow, a council was called the a vote was ordered for the army's next tactical move. With the votes in, the Order is now set on unlocking the memories of the strange man Bren and travelling to Galidus to meet with the new king, Kylvest Brohn of Trespa while simultaneously meeting with the People of Dragons elders.

Before the Order sets off once more, they are taking time to return to their training at the meadow and heal their hearts and bodies. At current, Merrik has chosen to mix things up and brought the Order out to the north-eastern woods to hunt for Obsidian Nova's favorite game: Blackshire Stags. After a great deal of drama in Kibran regarding Merrik's decisions on leadership, he hopes that the Order will begin to sort itself out within the ranks and grow to trust each other more deeply in a time when trust among comrades is a necessity.

• Character Hex Colors
    [spoili]
    Aerarya is #800080
    Saira is #33cccc
    Merrik is Red
    Nova is Black with Shadow and Italic.
    Avren is Green
    Viridian is Yellow Green with Italic.
    Terria is Dark Azure
    Taega is Medium Gray with Glow and Italic.
    Requiem is Maroon
    Aleria is Dark Green.
    Agni color is #999999
    Narien is #0092b3

[/spoili]​
    Soulserenity20 ---- Merrik Tetra ----- Obsidian Nova, Nightmare Dragon
    Soulserenity20 -----Terria Tetra ----- Ataegana Kuu'iah, Lunar Dragon
    Soulserenity20 -----Avren Lebram ----- Viridian, Forest Dragon
    Rainjay -----Saira Rinien ----- Aerarya, Atmosphere Dragon
    Rainjay -----Illyria Rowena Renthir ----- Mirazh, Desert Dragon
    Firejay1 -----Narien Ki'ila ----- Angi, Arcane Dragon
    White -----Rèverie Gray ----- Celeste, Celestial Dragon
    Mowkie ----- Pomona Ayelet Muldell ----- Katla, Vanity Dragon
    Mowkie ----- Alder Balthazar Grey ----- Andraste, Valor Dragon
    Crimson77 ----- Xylia Kalei Iwalani ----- Deventh, Swamp Dragon

• Tetra Estate - Coliseum, 8:17am

The morning air was cool and crisp, the last signs of Winter nipping at Spring's hold on the lands. There was a deep fog rolling in over the eastern forest, blanketing the ancient trees with an eerie, chilling veil. A pair of deep green eyes scanned the surrounding landscape from a hundred feet in the air. Their owner felt no fear, no discomfort of the altitude, being as much at home in the skies as he was on the earth. While the height and the crisp morning air did not bother him, a deep concern was festering within the corners of his mind. It was not unusual for worry and concern to waft about in his thoughts, but the intensity of today's concern was unprecedented.

There was a silence that surrounded him, cocooning him in its peaceful tendrils, broken only by the steady whoosh of powerful wings. With each heavy downbeat, the man in the sky would exhale, taking in the pristine air the ancient woods provided and letting it out in a meditative manner. His dark hair swayed gently, not by breeze, but by wing-beat. The man was concentrating on the legend that was about to begin a hundred feet below him. The man was sorting out his thoughts, organizing his concerns, perfecting his plan of action. Worrying. Concerning himself. Stressing.

The mind is of no use when it is tangled and knotted with stress and worry.

Merrik Tetra opened his eyes as a wave of reassurance swept into his mind, settling what had been stirred up, putting his last lingering thoughts in the right place, and shouldering the mental burden that so commonly threatened to crush him.

"Your wisdom could not have been more welcome. But to execute concern would be unwise. Today the stories of the world will shift mid-sentence, a new chapter forcing its way into a tale of growing darkness. Today the legends of old will be reborn, history repeating itself at the hands of peril upon these lands." Though his lips did not move and no sound rang out into the air, his words found their way into the mind that commanded the wings beating powerfully at Merrik's sides.

The man in the sky was not alone.

A hundred feet above the Tetra Estate, a creature of myth lingered in the air, sustained by the grip of its thick wing membranes on the cool morning air. The creature was massive, larger than any common animal of the lands, and it wore a cloak of scales as black as a night sky devoid of any stars. Blood red eyes that made every onlooker feel like prey blinked slowly as they stared at the distant fog bank. It's vast wings, cloaked in the same obsidian scales that coated the beast's muscular body, wore rings, red as the most scalding lava.

The creature was a dragon. A Nightmare Dragon, to be specific; a beast of legends and fairy tales from a time long ago, long before the memories of even the oldest human. For hundreds of years the sound of heavy wing-beats parting the air could not be heard in these lands, or any other for that matter. For hundreds of years, the great draconic race was thought to have been extinct, perished by the hands of elves or man or even time itself.

Few would believe their eyes. But Merrik Tetra would not so much as blink at the site of such a creature, for the dragon of nightmares and terror that claimed the skies was his dragon, and Merrik was its human. They were soulmates, best friends, companions, one.

More than 2 decades ago, when Merrik was just a little boy, he was brought down into a damp, dark cellar in the depths of his family's manor. There, he received an egg. From within that egg came a voice, though not one any other person would hear, unless it so chose to be heard. Within that egg was a hatchling nightmare dragon, the same drake upon which Merrik sat at that very moment. The dragon was given to him by a strange, mysterious old man who called himself The Oracle. This man changed Merrik's life, shifted his path of fate to one of severity and ultimatum. His life for the next two years was leading up to this moment, this cool spring morning.

Today, Merrik was going to form an army, a re-birthed order of old, summoned up again to bring forth a the great protectors of Illos. Today, Merrik was going to change the lives of a group of individuals, the very same individuals that stood a hundred feet below him in the center of a coliseum. Behind the doors that lined the walls of the coliseum were more dragons. More disbelief shattered by flesh and blood. Two years ago, Merrik had once again been summoned into that musky cellar where The Oracle appeared once agian. This time, Merrik didn't receive one egg; he received an entire clutch, each one a different color, texture and size.

From those eggs hatched dragons, one of each of the draconic species, apart from the Nightmares. Those hatchlings had spent the last two years of their lives growing and learning from Merrik and his dragon, Obsidian Nova. They were being trained and prepared for this very day, this moment. Each of the drakes behind those heavy wooden doors lacked a piece of its soul, a part of it that could never have been filled. Not until now.

The group of people standing, uncertain in the middle of the coliseum, were chosen long ago, though they could not have known it. The Oracle had selected them at birth, when their souls entered into their bodies with their first breath. Each soul chosen, was the missing half of one of the dragons below. And today, those two souls would collide and fuse together, changing the fate of Illos forever.

"They know so little of what is to come." Came Merrik's soundless voice from his own mind into the dragon's.
    The less they know, the less they can fear and fight what is to be. Though we know that each of the humans below is the soulmate of one of our yearlings, the yearlings do not know for certain. They believe that these are mere potential candidates for the bond. They will test them just as a wild dragon would have tested the first of the dragonlords so long ago. The humans will pass these tests, of this we have been assured by The Oracle. Everything is set into motion.

Let their oblivion be their guide, for both dragon and human. Let the bond work in its natural ways, it will give them strength in the long run. The humans MUST prove themselves to their drake, not only for tradition's sake, but to unlock the power that hides within their blood. Tamers are not made, they are born at the very moment a dragon's soul awakens. In that moment, the two become connected, separated only by distance and time. The tamers have an ancient magic within their veins, though they do not know it yet.

Today, the bond with unlock that magic and change their lives forever. We should not delay it any longer.

Obsidian Nova had a way about him that commanded submission and trust. There was no one else in the world that could calm and reassure Merrik in such a way as the black dragon. Nova had an ancient wisdom to him that came with being a direct descendant of one of the first bonded dragons of the Order of Old. Though merely 21 by age, the dragon's wisdom went on for centuries. Merrik agreed without a word or thought.

With perfect intent-directed synchrony, the dragon descended, lowing the pair and coming to rest on a great stone perch that sat at the head of the coliseum. As the dragon's talons touched down on the stone and his great wingspan retracted to a resting position, Merrik stood up from his place at the base of Nova's neck and slipped down off the dragon's back without a sliver of difficulty, landing on the thick, stone perch below.

The attention of the visitors in the centre of the round mass of earth focused on him. Some eyes shone with excitement, others with a sly intent, and others with a plain annoyance. There was too much personality within that circle for Merrik to handle all at once. He silently thanked the gods of old that he didn't have to get up close and personal with the entire group just yet. For now, the focus of attention was on dragons, and Merrik was completely at home in the realm of dragons.

"You have all be told of your purpose for standing her today. I can understand if some or many of your minds linger in disbelief, this is an event of dreams and myth. But make no mistake, you are here to become heroes, legends, and leaders. You are here to become one with beasts of old, powerful creatures not seen in these lands for hundreds of years." He walked to the end of the perch, balancing casually on the round, stone hold.

"The doors that surround you are the temporary dens of the dragons of Illos. The doors will open in a few moments. You must all be strong, be fast, and be brave. Today, you become dragon tamers."
    Then, Merrik's deep green eyes became twice as vibrant as any human's and he swirled his right index finger in a curious manner, concentration clear on his expression. The doors slid open, lifting up to reveals cascading plumes of steam as the temperature difference made itself apparent. The cool morning air welcomed the sound of wingbeats, too many to count, as a mass of dragons shot out of the dark spaces and soared up into the air. Flames of every color decorated the skies, scaled beasts of every shape, size and color bolted about before peeling off from the group and honing in on select individuals.

One of the dragons shot a jet of colored flame down at the ground, nearing searing one of the soon-to-be tamers. The tests had begun.

Merrik and Nova watched silently as the young dragons they had raised from hatchlings attacked, questioned, chased, scared, and tested the group of visitors. Each was seeking a human worthy of their soul, of their life, of their bond. Each would find a human, though they did not know it, and until then, they would test their worthiness endlessly. Merrik pitied the men and women below, for they had not been informed of what the bond was, nor were they informed of the fact that the tests the dragons subjected them to would look more like an attack than anything, despite the fact that the drakes would not actually harm them. This pity went away mere moments after it arrived as Nova's presence in his soul shifted with the drake's emotion. Any amount of terror and confusion was worth the bond of dragon and tamer.

• Combat Event Guide
    +Steps+
    1. GM Scenario Introduction.​
    2. Player Response. Combat Begins.​
    3. GM Response to Combat. Required die roll will be presented.​
    4. Player Response. Player Roll. Player may close combat.​
    5. GM Combat Close Response (if necessary)​

+Basics Behind the Rolls+

Three Types of Opponents: Basic, Challenging, and Boss.
    Basic: Just classic battling. It is generally expected that your character can handle this with general ease.
    Challenging: These will require higher rolls and a bit of strength in whatever technique the character uses to attack.
    Boss: These will require the best rolls, the most creativity, and the best weaponry/spells/approaches suited to the character.

Three Types of Character Approaches: Strength, Weakness, Long Shot.
    Strength: The character attacks within their class/strength/ability.
    Weakness: The player attacks in a class/ability that they are not necessarily comfortable or entirely skilled at.
    Long Shot: The player is being an idiot and doing something that would never work unless the die gods are on their sides.

+How Opponent Types and Character Approaches work together+
    BASIC OPPONENT
    Strength Base Roll: 12
    Weakness Base Roll: 14
    Long Shot Base Roll: 16

CHALLENGING OPPONENT
    Strength Base Roll: 14
    Weakness Base Roll: 16
    Long Shot Base Roll: 20

BOSS OPPONENT
    Strength Base Roll: 18
    Weakness Base Roll: 20
    Long Shot Base Roll: 25 (requires stat bonus)

NOTE: In a boss battle, there will be much more discretion for creativity and teamwork between players. Successful rolls will mean successful hits, NOT kills. Furthermore, for boss rolls, because they are much more difficult, the player will get a 'second chance' roll if their first roll is not successful.
    In Step 3, where the GM presents the required roll, it will have the relevant stats already added in and will be presented in a manner to explain the reason the roll is what it is. Stats are applied by level of skill, as portrayed:
    5% = Beginner ----> No Mod
    10% = Applicable ----> No Mod
    20% = Novice ----> +1
    30% = Adept ----> +2
    45% = Advanced ----> +3
    50% = Expert ----> +4
    65% = Sage (Mortal Mastery) ----> + 5

Example:
    Shirin Vs. Challenging Opponent, Strength (Longsword)
    Base Roll: 14
    35% in long sword, +2 Bonus
    14% in valor, +1 Bonus
    14% in strength, +1 Bonus.

14 - 2 - 1 - 1 = 10 Required.

The player will then post a blank post with "Rolling..." posted and then roll a 20 sided dice (D20) on that post. Then the player will post a SECOND post with their response in accordance with how their roll went. They can wrap it up themselves (Step 4), or the GM can add a post in at the end to wrap it up accordingly.

WARNING: If you delete ANY POSTS in these events, I will assume you're trying to cheat and get a better roll. I don't want any explanations, I won't believe a word you say, and I'll roll FOR you with a penalty of 5 added onto the battle. This means, for example, Shirin would need a 15 instead of a 10. If you make a mistake, for example, roll a D6, or roll twice. LEAVE IT. I have eyes. I can see the mistakes.​
[spoili][/spoili]

Last edited by a moderator:
[dash=white] A rustling of papers and coin was herald to footsteps that brought a familiar face before Illyria. The well-dressed, middle-aged man looked at her with scrutinizing eyes before dipping his head in a light nod. "Yes, what is it? I've work to do, so I can't visit long." Esvier stood patiently and un-moving.
[/dash]

She watched the Tendril and did not respond to Saira joining them. "I do wonder what it is that would happen if I were to apply my enchantment on that thing." She gazed to Saira as she joined them.

She laughed before letting herself drop backwards to look up to the skies, a hand reaching up. "If we just had not split up... he would still be with us... but what can I do now?" Her hand dropped and moved to lay on her heart. "I am glad that Terria is with us again and I am so much more glad to have had the two of you with me. I owe you my life Merrik and I had broken down if not for the two of you having been with me when he died."

Sitting up again she locked eyes with Merrik. Her smile vanquished and a stern expression showing. "I will chain you up and feed you if you do not start to eat properly. Saira and I will care for Terria and you both then until your sister is back on her feet to scold us for chaining you up and you for neglecting yourself. At least let us help, you know? So you, too, can find some rest. If you believe our abilities are insufficent, then teach us, show us how to, but don't believe I will let a dear friend suffer needlessly when I can help."

Life is too short, is it not? she thought to herself regretting to have never approached and told Goliath directly. Love, care and appreciate the ones I do now because maybe tomorrow it is too late.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Soulserenity20
[dash=white]
Merrik stared at Reverie, then glanced at Saira, as if to inquire if she had any idea how he was supposed to respond to the woman. He looked back at Reverie, and then he carefully stood up. Without a word, he walked away, disappearing down the hall of the nearby stable. He returned no more than a minute later with a thick slice of bread and some dried fruits. Sitting back down on the grass, he took a bite and chewed carefully while staring directly at Reverie. After some time, he averted his gaze and ate quietly. When he had finished, he wiped his mouth on a handkerchief before returning it to his pocket and clearing his throat.

"We'll uh. . . we're going to have to go back to Ogual's Lair. We cannot leave their bones there to rot for an eternity. We'll have to return and collect their remains to . . . give them a proper burial." The word remains had come out of his mouth like some foreign expression. The grimness of the word startled him some and he realized he, and the rest of the Order, had a long path of mourning ahead of him.

He tried his best then to put it out of his mind and move on. He had enough to mourn. Too much to mourn.

"So," he started slowly, "have you managed any training since our return? I know I haven't been very attentive, but I'm grateful for your understanding." He looked at Reverie and then with Saira with deep sincerity. "I mean it. I . . . I wish I had more in me but it's been a lot to deal with in a short time. . . speaking of which." He turned and looked over his shoulder, at the woods that lay behind the stables.

"We still have a more . . . forgettable issue to deal with. Have either of you stopped in to see Bren? He's been staying in the hut in the woods with Aglares. I fear he's felt unwelcome in this time of mourning, but we shouldn't forget our guest, even in the worst of times. Perhaps we'll invite him for dinner and a fire later?" He was really trying his best to attain some sense of normalcy and if there was one thing that felt normal to him, it was being a good host. His mother could never have stressed enough the importance of being a good host while Merrik and Terria were young. It was, after all, expected of a noble, regardless of age.
[/dash]

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: White and Rainjay
[dash=#800080]Saira responded to Merrik's inquiry with a shrug. Reverie's way of going about things wasn't always... perhaps normal was the word, though it came from the heart. She let her do the talking for that reason, until Merrik returned from the kitchen, ate, and began to speak. Silence sat between the three for a moment after he finished, thick and heavy, until it seemed that Reverie was waiting for Saira to respond and she spurred awkwardly into conversation.

"I believe we have forgotten, actually," she said, color almost as deep in hue as her hair rising to her cheeks. "Or... have been distracted otherwise. I don't mind speaking to him; dinner would be nice." Did her words betray the emotion behind the thought? Dinner's since beginning the war had changed between the Order. They had changed even more since Terria's disappearance, and now without Goliath to bolster the mood, she worried how tensions would rise unhindered. No doubt their absence at the tables would be obvious. But even so, the warmth of a meal with friendly faces in the tranquility of their home excited her.

She exchanged a glance with Reverie. "We have trained some. Habit, I suppose--it was Reverie's idea truly. She..." Saira paused, looking over at the other tamer. She had promised not to tell of her training, but Reverie had not explicitly said Merrik was not to know. Besides, she had a feeling they both knew what had happened already...

Later that evening, after dinner had been eaten and put away and the tamers had parted ways, Merrik had intended on heading out to the training grounds to spend the next few hours in mana training. As he walked down the halls from the men's baths, he found himself pausing at Saira's door. He hesitated and knocked.

"Saira? Are you in and well? I wonder if I might have a word with you." He looked over at the shimmering silver that lay nestled into her bed and smiled gently, almost apologetically. "Hello Aerarya."

Saira sat quietly on her bed, enjoying the quiet of her loft after the tense discussions at dinner that night. It seemed this was the cycle they had entered--discussion becomes debate becomes tensions--only this time they were without Terria or Kalona to ease everyone's moods. She almost expected Illyria to step up to the challenge, though surprisingly it was Reverie who did, though she didn't know how successful her attempts were for she left promptly after clean-up had been finished. Since, she'd spent her time massaging her muscles and polishing her bow with intense scrutiny. It had gone too long without proper attention, and she didn't need her weapons breaking on her now.

Her attention was stirred when she heard a knock on the door, and Aerarya' s voice: Good evening, Merrik. It's always a pleasure. The dragonness lifted her head then as Saira parted the curtains of the loft. Merrik is here to speak with you, she announced.

"Yes," she replied. "Thank you, Aer." She rested her hand on the dragonness' nose before calling down to Merrik. "Just a moment!"

Climbing down the ladder was a delicate matter with broken ribs, but she moved quickly. What was it that the dragonlord needed of her? Curiosity moved her feet fast and soon she was standing before him with a gentle smile. "How are you, Merrik?" she asked. After tonight's events she was unsure of how their leader was faring. There had been easier times, nicer words said. "Come on in," she shifted to let him inside.

Merrik responded with a light chuckle. "I suppose things could be better, Saira." He smiled, looking at her for a moment, before realizing how delicately she moved her torso, her hands instinctively resting on the pained areas of her ribs. His smile faded into a somber expression and he cleared his throat.

"Please, is it alright if we go up to your loft? I'd like to spend some time healing you myself. Avren is skilled, no doubt, but my mana is more potent than his and I fear he's expended his mana-pool more than is desirable over the last few weeks." He placed a hand gently onto her back and guided her towards the ladder. He waited patiently as she climbed, the pain obvious in her movements, but failing to show on her face. When they reached the top, he motioned for her to lay on her bed and as he sat on the edge, he placed his hands tenderly on her ribs and allow his mana to flow into her.

He had always found healing to be soothing, for it required a mindset of compassion, love, and caring. He took refuge in that area of his heart and allowed it to put his inner turmoil at rest. Healing was natural, normal, and familiar. Something he'd been doing since a child, whenever he scraped his knee or when Terria fell from a tree. Healing was a way to care for others and after everything that had happened, Merrik was grateful to have a chance to care for someone else, Saira especially.

"I... I wanted to apologize." He said this quietly, not making eye contact, but rather appearing to be focusing on his work, though it was likely he needed put such effort into mending simple bones. "I would never dream of hurting you, and yet..." He paused, the mana flow stifling for a moment as he looked at her. "Well, here we are." He placed his hands back onto her ribs and continued to urge her bones to weave, her bruises to subside, and her pain to whither.

Despite the strangeness of the situation at hand Saira found herself slowly relaxing to Merrik's soft words and touch. In training she'd gotten used to contact with strangers. In battle, her nerves went away completely. But outside of all that, when it was just two people, alone... It was more intimate. Personal. Even between friends Saira realized she rarely made physical contact with another. But even with his hands resting against her chest, she felt nothing but at ease, her muscles finally relaxing and the pain at last beginning to subside. Avren's mana hadn't been quite like this. A soft sigh escaped her, following by the quick brightening of her cheeks.

"Here we are," she repeated his words, struggling to think of what to say next. She'd expected the dragonlord to sooner berate her thoughtless actions than to apologize for the faultless result. "It wasn't your fault, you know. None of us could have anticipated what would have happened. But now we know," she said, turning her head to look him in the eye. "If anything, I should have sought you out to apologize. I.. I wasn't thinking. I hadn't meant to hurt you, either, but... I had to do something..." Before someone got hurt. Before Avren got hurt.

"I'm sorry," she said. "And, for everything said at dinner tonight... It's not that we don't trust in you. We're just worried. All of us. We... well, we can't lose you, more than anyone else. You are what keeps us together, after all."

Her words drew out a look of fear in Merrik's eyes. "Saira, no! Don't... please. Don't ever apologize for what you did. You acted exactly as you should have. I don't ever want you to hesitate to do what is necessary to protect yourself. I was not myself, I was the enemy --" here, he hesitated, as if hearing the words spoken out loud had somehow startled him. "You did the right thing. And I honor and thank you for it."

He quieted for a time, thinking deeply about what had been discussed at dinner. He thought about Narien's words and his own, just now. It was true, he was dangerous. He spent months teaching the others about how dangerous uncontrolled emotions were in a world of mana and yet, he himself had become consumed by anger and hatred towards Ogual for everything that had come to pass. He hated Ogual for Shirin's death, despite having come to terms with it. He hated Ogual for taking Dalaith and A'untyr and Byriarti. He hated the darkness that spread, but hatred was dangerous, most especially for a tamer whose mana was based in fear, for hatred was housed in fear itself.

"You'd be right not to trust me." He said calmly, continuing on with his work, his gaze now departed from her own once more. "I've lead you all to be believe I've some kind of strength that cannot be overcome. After all, I'm the dragonlord, aren't I?" He said the word with a complex mix of emotions, respect, resentment, sadness. "I am meant to lead you to victory but my strength is limited. What happened in Kuhl is a sobering reminder of my own mortality, my flaws. I have come to see that I need to spend more time focusing on my own training, my own mind. I have put this off for months now, putting the training of the Order in first and..." He sighed, sitting back, his mana pulling away as his hands did. "I'm tired, Saira."

And he looked it. Months of late nights, of ignoring his personal life, his stress, his own concerns, struggles, and upsets. They had come to wear on him, and now, it was as if he clung to his driving hatred for the Dark Lord to keep him moving forward through the exhaustion. Countless days had been spent, tiring him out. Each time they traveled, he expended immense amounts of mana as he maintained protective wards on every tamer. His mana pool had been pushed to its limits and his body, his mind, and his soul felt worn. He had spent his life training, yes, but never had he been expected to put defenses on dozens of other individuals, never had he expended such immense amounts of mana in battle, in healing, in mana sensing, and in training.

Stress had begun to wear at him and his emotions betrayed his unwavering facade. But after what happened in Kuhl, after losing his sister, and after tonight, he felt he could no longer bear the burden he had been dealt. And yet, he had to.

Looking at Saira, he saw purpose. He saw reason, not only to fight, and to press on, but to be better, to take better care of what was going on inside of him, with his own bond, his own health and mind. Perhaps the Order would be his driving force, in replacement for hatred and pain.

Having lost himself in his thoughts, he drew his attention back to Saira. "Come, sit up and twist a bit, see where it hurts so I can focus the healing."

I'm tired, Saira.

Merrik's honesty scared Saira more than anything. She always knew it must be hard, so very hard, to be everything that Merrik Tetra had to be--brother, leader, dragonlord, mentor, soldier, diplomat, friend--but she had never seen it to it's true extent. How he could keep so much hidden behind sheer determination and will, she believed she could never truly understand. Her heart broke for the man next to her as his own bled out in a way she'd never seen before, and she was stunned into complete silence as he spoke and then fell quiet. Her own fear kept her still for the moments that followed, even though she wanted nothing more than to try and provide some form of comfort.

Foolish, she thought to herself as he broke the silence. Surely an attempt would be better than nothing, but the moment had passed. She sat up on the bed and lifted her arms just so, keeping her movements careful as she began to test her ribcage.

"I..." she paused, rephrasing, "We are all here for you, Merrik. You've done more for us than anybody could ever ask for, and still do. You don't have to carry the burden alone anymore." She tentatively reached over to rest her hand over his before continuing. "It is perhaps one of the hardest things for a man to do, but we must acknowledge that none of us will ever truly be ready for what we will face in the time that comes. Our strength comes from knowing what may happen, yet finding the power and reason to do it anyways. Shirin and Dalaith had this strength. So do you. I know it. You just need to realize the rest of us do, too. Let us help."

She leaned back then, not wanting to overstep boundaries. She was already pleading, asking for more than she felt she ought to, but doing it all the same. The least she could do is offer to return the same favor he had given her in the past.

"Thank you, Saira." He said quietly as her hand pulled away from his own. Her touch lingered, and for a moment he felt as if he could tell her anything. This wasn't something he felt often. Terria was one of the few people he ever felt entirely at ease around and with her gone and Obsidian Nova fuming in the north, he wanted to cling to that moment with Saira. She had long been a good friend to him, ever since her first days in the Order. She was dependable, warm, and non-judgmental. Traits that were no so easy to come by these days, it seemed.

"Your words are clear and honest, and I value the truth in them. It is a difficult task for a man to accept his own immortality and then to press on in spite of it? Well, that can seem an impossible feat. My father often spoke of looking Fate in the eyes and refusing to acknowledge it. 'Pay it too much mind, and you'll quickly see you've lost your hold on life. But deny it any concern and you'll find you've suddenly the power to make your own path. Your own path is the only one that'll get you anywhere, Merrik. Remember that.' Or,something along those lines. It's been many years since my father offered me such words of wisdom." He smiled, feeling a calm about him after chatting with her, but quickly found his mind drawing on a curiosity.

"Say, have you noticed anything different in your bond, since the battle? I'd never have expected it, but what happened with the shadow seems to have... changed my bond with Obsidian Nova. He told me he phased out of the physical realm entirely to get to me. That isn't something a Nightmare Dragon is able to do naturally. The shadow seems to have become a part of who I am -- who we are. Perhaps that's why I'm not much bothered by what happened, by what I felt and what consumed me. It seems now just a part of me, part of what makes me who I am." He shrugged, not wishing to get too much into it. "Nevertheless, it's something entirely new to me and I daresay I haven't felt such a fascinating curiosity in... well, a decade, likely."

Merrik's words put Saira at a strange sense of loss. The words of his father sounded like something her own would say. But he spoke so fondly of the memory that instead of grief she found herself smiling along, instead thinking on the truth of it. She wondered what would happen to them if they were to decide to go against what fate had planned for them. She also wondered what would happen if they didn't. Perhaps only the odd, spirited Oracle might know of their futures, and she knew asking the old man for details would give her nothing except more questions. But if straying so far from what the universe wished them to do could bring so much harm, would they be allowed to do it in the first place? It was an empowering thought.

Equally as empowering as what Merrik began to speak to her of next. "Aer said she thought she had seen something strange, but I shrugged it off... but now that you mention it, I have noticed something different. I've not yet explored it much, but it might be a wise idea to connect with everybody during training to ... experiment a little. Because if it has happened to me, and to you, then surely something has also changed with the others."

She pursed her lips as she studied her palms as though the lines there held the answers. "It is curious. I'm guessing you have never heard of such a thing before, but I wonder if any of the books at the estate do mention it. Illyria would probably love to investigate... though, I can't help but think about how exciting it would be if this was something we discovered. Maybe it's just what we need after so much devastation."

Merrik shook his head, an obvious enthusiasm growing in his expression. "I haven't ever heard of this before, but I'm sure there is something in one of the journals. Some of the old tamers lived for hundreds of years. It's rare to find something they haven't experienced, and yet. . . if we find this is entirely new, we have to be certain to document it, just as our ancestors did. It's our duty to record as much information about our bonds as we can. Of course I've been doing this consistently since my childhood, but I wonder if you might contribute your own thoughts as well. Perhaps you could start recording details about the workings of your bond, your abilities, and anything else pertaining to your role as a tamer?" The enthusiasm was in full swing now and it seemed as if the exhaustion in his eyes was being replaced with excitement.

"I'd like to begin training these new abilities, for anyone who's found one. Will you meet me tomorrow night, after the day's training is over, Saira?"

She rubbed her still-healing arm, even more grateful for Merrik's healing aid. She had only seen the mangled mess of her arm for seconds after the injury before he came to assist, and she'd yet to thank him for it. Now, it simply irritated her with sharp aches, but worth it to keep her dragonness from harm. "It was like your shadow-form, I think. Watching her practice convinced me of that. I've still been unable do anything," she said, remembering their attempts the night after they'd spoken to replicate his shadow-form and to explore her own abilities, "but I was late to delving into mana when we started. It was Terria who--"

She stopped short. Terria's guidance had helped her unlock the strange fog she could conjure. It felt like years ago. Saira cleared her throat before continuing. "Regardless. I think it's safe to say this is more than a fluke... You might have saved Merrik's life, Reverie. That's no small thing."
[/dash]

--

So he's that sort, Illyria thought as the man spoke. Lifting her lips up from a frown and into a courteous smile, she began, "I'm Illyria--one of the newcomers. I was wondering if you might actually have time to speak with me about the situation here. Broenna brought us up to speed, but I'd like to have a deeper look into things. Mostly, I was wondering about the infrastructure, and the threat in the woods? Has there been any thought to summoning arms against it?"

"I...," her eyes turned away from the two of them, staring into the gras besides them. "I honestly don't understand it. It feels as if I could potentially change the essence of mana, counter the balancing effects, change them and use them for my own benefit." Sighing she continued: "I have been practising in secret for that reason; it could potentially make me very powerful in a way that nobody else could be which is why I would apreciate if nobody but the three of us know of this." her gaze turned to look at the two of them.
"Celeste and I do not wish for this knowledge to spread. Least it could create jealousy, worst Ogual now and a selfish ruler later will target my capture to figure out how they could use this to persue their own goals. The less that know the better."
Focusing her eyes on Merrik again "I did not know it would build a shield, I was hoping for something that would help me in cutting deeper into the hound's skin and the way the shield was brought up may imply that there is a certain... awareness to it. I have to explore this more before I can say for certain of course."
Laughing out loud she added "Yes, I have tried to replicate the shield with water mana in itself. While I managed in very small ammounts, and I mean tiny drip size, it is incredibly complex to fortify it in the same manner."

"How about yourself? The black mana. Well, it feels black to me, similiar to how I perceived that thing in Khul, but different. It is... uh... burdened? where as that thing in Khul, it felt malicious, evil and full of hatred, different... I do have to say that I am curious as to what were to happen if I tried to manipulate it the way the fog was. Would we create an army of shield bearing shadows then forming millions upon millions of shieldwalls?" A smile formed on her lips at the thought.

"Saira's right. It is no small thing. And if you want my input, I strongly advise against keeping it a secret. Secrets are dangerous. If anything ever happened to you like it did to me, with the shadow, when my own mana was used against me, and we didn't all know what abilities your possessed, it might well be the death of us all. I can assure you that no one, and I mean no one will use you or your abilities for as long as I live. As a child, I took an oath. Each dragon lord takes this oath and it binds me through more than just honor. I am bound by mana to uphold my duty to each of you, to the Order, and the Great Balance of Illos as a whole. I could never let something like that come to be. You needn't fear it." And he meant it.

This was the first he'd ever spoken of his oath, to anyone in the Order. Of course Terria knew about it. She had helped him learn it over the years after Nova had hatched. The title of dragonlord was so much more than a noble claim or a hero's name. It was a binding contract as deep as the bond itself. The title made him a steward of the Balance and protector of the Order so that it might fulfill it's own destiny.

"My new ability feels... Natural. As normal in my soul as the rest of my mana. I think the reason for it is that all mana comes from our bonds. And so this new mana had to have come from somewhere deep and personal. I've always been in touch with it, so perhaps it only feels normal to me because I've been more attuned to it. Yours may feel foreign only because your bond is in its infancy. That being said, we should test it, Rev. See what it can do and try and pinpoint what part of you its drawing from." He looked at Saira then.

"What about you? Have you found anything different in your bond? Or perhaps Aerarya did? "

**Posted From Mobile. Please excuse typos, brevity, and the absence of formatting. **

Reactions: White
Listening to the others, Saira pursued her lips and thought back to the times she'd noticed the changes in her own bond. It had mostly been a feeling, quietly lingering and waiting for her to notice it and draw it forward, though it neglected to take action of its own. "We have noticed a change since that night," she said, restating what she'd told him the first time they discussed it. "When combating the hounds, it was at it's strongest. I think it may have something to do with my fog,"

It was as slow and creeping a feeling as overcame her when she created the gentle fog, like the feeling one would have walking through a misted marsh or dark forest. Though, not ominous--to her, it was welcoming, as though each tendril of mist reached out to her, inviting her inside. Normally, her fog was a useful diversion... But now it felt like it wanted her to hide inside. "I may have an idea on how to draw it out." Maybe some time spent training together would also help return some normalcy to their worlds.

"I can understand the fear of advertising such newfound, strong powers like these. But I do trust in the Order to keep it among ourselves. Thus far I do not believe the full extent of what we can do has been made public to the land; I've only heard stories of some of the mightiest feats surviving soldiers have witnessed. Though, I do wonder what the Kibran clan will think after receiving a firsthand view of the dragons and their mana. I imagine the stories will change," Not one for the devoutly religious, she wrinkled her nose some, disturbed by the image how just how twisted stories can become in the hands of the pious. The people already talked the Order up to be something more than it was, and she felt conflicted about the praise.

She tilted her head towards Merrik then, returning a prior conversational topic. "Is the oath a duty of your dragon and tamer's lineage?" she questioned. His words bothered her given that Terria herself had became harmed despite this mystical oath, but she decided not to question it. "It sounds quite a burden to bear... but I'm glad of all men, it is you who lead us, Merrik. I would have it no other way."

Reverie choose to not reply, instead she choose to turn away from the two of them, a flame in her hand when Saira started to explain how it was for her and her own issues wth it as well as her own opinion regarding the secrecy. In that time she sparked a flame and by the time Saira asked her question regarding being a Dragonlord and the oath, she had added her magic and set her hand aflame and wove with the flaming hand to the two of them with a grin on her face.
"It is interesting... still, what I found only reinforces my desire to keep the secrecy, even towards the other within the order. The vulnerability requires it."
What she had found is that it drew from not one important aspect of hers but from the whole of the heart in every aspect and facade it was. All her experiences, good and bad, from all that she loves and likes, dislikes to her own perception. Even the memories of what felt like a dark cloud around her heart is included. In fact, that specifically was included. A memorie of something that once was but no longer is.
She extinquished the fire, turning back to the two of them. "I agree with Saira. You certainly are the right one to do this, though I, too am also curious about that Oath. What does it entail? A lifelong responsbility? Is it hereditary?"

Merrik was unsettled by Reverie's attitudes towards her new ability. He knew far too well what happened when there were secrets in the Order. History told him to keep an eye on her. He turned to Saira.

"It's something, isn't it? The way the world weaves legends? Did you ever think you'd be the topic of one?" He laughed lightly, pondering his role in things. He had always known his fate. His life had been nothing but a deliberate and orchestrated path down the road of destiny. Heroes were never born, he decided; they were always made, by society, by fate, by uncontrollable events. He had been made a hero through careful raising, and now he passed on what he had learned to the other tamers, making them into heroes. But beyond that, society was making them into heroes, too. Legends made heroes in a way that training didn't, and Merrik wasn't so sure he was fond of what legends would say of him one day. In fact, it bothered him to no end knowing he and the rest of the Order would be. . . public subject matter for millennia to come.

And so, he simply averted his attention, redirecting it to the questions posed by Rev and Saira. He took a moment to think, silently reciting the vow in his head as he had so many times in his youth and in his adult life, when he felt worn and tired.

"I'm not sure if I had any choice in whether I was the right one or not. I was. . . made. I was carefully cultivated into the ideal candidate for the job. Conditioned from a young age to think the right way, to respond the right way, trained and taught to believe all of this," he paused, gesturing around him, "that all of this is normal. I often wonder what I would have become if simply left to grow as a normal person." Though, there was little of welcome down that path of thought.

"The oath is mana-based, but because my bloodline is bound to the old spell that forged the bond, I supposed it'd be hereditary as well. The oath belongs to the dragonlord. That's important because the title itself insinuates the crucial components of who and what that person is. The dragonlord was a title first given to Merrikhai Tetra, my ancestor. He made a covenant with a mighty black dragon, Cosmaur Sarpe, and remade the promise between the elves and the dragons that was broken when the elves left. It was a promise to stand as stewards to the Land of Origins and to protect the Great Balance at all costs. Cosmaur sealed his bloodline into this covenant the very same way Merrikhai did. Every dragonlord since then has been a descendant of Merrikhai and each one has been bonded to a descendant of Cosmaur. Obsidian Nova is bound, just as I am.

The Oath is essentially an incantation that enacts the powers of the dragonlord. The extent of these powers still aren't fully understood today, but part of what I got out of it was a stronger affinity for mana, my mind and body are empowered, and my connection with the Great Balance is. . . strong.
" He stopped then, working out what next to say. It was clear that he didn't wish to discuss this particular part of the Oath but the exact reason was not so obvious.

"The gist of it, is that I made a covenant. I added my soul to the lineage of protectors of the Great Balance. I am bound, by oath, to do everything in my power to protect Illos, the Order, and any who seek to defend the Great Balance. Sometimes, however, it seems my power is not enough. Luckily the Oath only demands my intent and my effort, it does not demand perfection. When the Oath was complete, I received the mark of the dragonlord, Obsidian Nova was given his blood-right -- access to the depths of Cosmaur Sarpe's memories -- and it was done.

If I were to turn on the Order, if I were to pursue an evil agenda, my bond would become poisoned. It would eventually kill me. After that? I'm not sure what would happen. It's never come to be. The Oath has always been a part of my life. It's long, complex, and its words are much like a prophecy, meant to guide the dragonlords on their way. But when the shadow took over me and I attacked you all. . . well, there was a reason I didn't wake up for days. I was lucky, in a way, because I believe the mana behind the oath was able to discern the foreign body, but it did not omit me from the punishment entirely.
"

He stopped then and looked at the two. "But you know, even without the Oath. Even without everything it does, all the small, nagging reminders that pick at my soul whenever I slack on training or the siphoning I feel in my bond when a dragon or a tamer dies, even without it all, I would still fight until my dying breath for any of the dragons and any of their tamers. There is no question. My father gave me the name Merrik because he felt the time had come for the dragons to return to Illos, for our bloodline to serve its noble purpose again. He knew, somehow, that his son would begin a new Order, just as Merrikhai had done so long ago. And it came to be, and the Oath was fulfilled, and the dargonlord lineage rose up again. I have always tried my hardest to live up to the name I was given, to the title I was given. Some days, it's harder. But some days, it gets a little easier; some days like that warm spring morning several months ago when, for the first time, I was no longer alone as a tamer." He smiled warmly at the two. His words were sincere and he could never overstate the significant role his fellow tamers had played in his life. He owed them so much, and so Oath or not, he would do everything he could to protect them.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: White
So he's that sort, Illyria thought as the man spoke. Lifting her lips up from a frown and into a courteous smile, she began, "I'm Illyria--one of the newcomers. I was wondering if you might actually have time to speak with me about the situation here. Broenna brought us up to speed, but I'd like to have a deeper look into things. Mostly, I was wondering about the infrastructure, and the threat in the woods? Has there been any thought to summoning arms against it?"

[dash=white]
"Mhmm." He said quietly as she spoke. He was listening, that much was clear, but it was as if he was listening for a very different reason from what one might assume. "Yes, very well. There is little to be said. The town is thriving, despite the many mistakes our last mayor made. It has taken some work but slowly the economy is beginning to stabilize and with more money coming in we are able to allocate it where necessary." He strolled forward to a nearby window hung with deep orange drapes with golden ties holding them back.

"The woods are a different matter." He spoke without looking at her, now. Staring out the window, he seemed absent, but his words remained clear and informative. "Summoning arms is not the duty of a meager forest town, it is the duty of our leaders to protect us. The army of Galidus was once a proud piece, lead by an intelligent and well-prepared king, if not an unrighteous one. Yes, he fell to the wrath of the gods to pay for his own mistakes but while he reigned, it cannot be said he did not protect his people. As for the current state of affairs. . . well, it is in the hands of the Gods now. After all, how else would a humble town such as ours receive the undivided attention of half the Great Order, hmm?"

He turned then and stepped towards her. "You are protectors of Illos, yes? We are not. We are mere citizens of the nations your Order is bound to protect. So perhaps I should ask you: have you had any thought of summoning arms to the woods?"
[/dash]

"The cost of the crown," Reverie mentioned. "It does sound like you spent a very lonely and isolated life, only really having your sister." It explained a lot to her. Back when Reverie had arrived, the tamer Shirin, the way Terria bid farewell and the behavior remarks she thought were normal when she was kidnapped.

"I hope more can become like family to you," she smiled sincerely. "Still expecting you to come eat regulary with us, especially now. I will also be visiting Terria to assist with the healing... Celeste and I should also check for any taints and assist as much as we can."

She was quick to settle into Avren's movements, having seen him practice with the roots before. A powerful foe, even in sparring, but he seemed a little predictable. Of course, as she thought this, Pomona once more found her feet knocked from under her, the wind kicked from her chest as a small slide of earth pushed her heel forward, causing her to stumble and fall backward. The water was one thing, but the ground moving under her. A growl emitted from her lips, eyes glaring towards him in irritation.

Of course, he had to add insult to injury by using the earth to lift her back to her feet only to slap her across the face with a gust of wind. "Okay! We get it! You're better at mana than me!" Frustration filled her, and she threw down the sword, which shattered and dissipated into thin air. Crossing her arms in a slight pout, she turned her head away from Avren and fumed silently.

The laughter from Bren surprised her into looking back towards him. "You didn't know?" She was shocked, having figured that the news would have arrived by this point. "I thought all of Kibran would have known by now. I suppose I've just...gotten used to dragons..." Strange, how quickly dragons change the tides.

Just then, she heard footsteps, and the mercenary whirled around, once more summoning her blade. Only to find the bearded face of a man, panting as he ran and began to shout. "Baern! Baern, Kuhl has been -" His words were cut off when he saw the tamers, her brow furrowing. "Who are you?"

• Love
[dash=white]
Avren was having far too much fun dancing with Pomona but when she started to get frustrated and angry, he felt his mood shift. He didn't like upsetting people, especially not kind people. Pomona was a scary person at the best of times, but she was just like him. . . and he knew he didn't like feeling frustrated or annoyed by other people. And so as she threw away her dazzling blade of mana, he let his roots return to the earth and brought the grasses forward to grow in order to cover the mess he'd made out of the yard's trimmed lawn. He stepped forward, about to apologize, but then a man came bursting around the corner. Avren hadn't a chance to say a thing when Baern stood, fast and sure.

"Alder, my boy, it's a welcome sight to see you, even if you bring old news." He cocked a grin before beckoning to the two tamers. "These, my friend, are dragon tamers. The bloody myths are true." He said the words with awe, this time. "They've come to help with the woods. The one with rope for hair has been on about using magick to heal my leg. Magick, Alder. They've got magick!" He laughed lightly before choking to a stop as his leg gave in, sending a sharp pain up his leg and almost toppling him. However, it was clear the man was used to his old injury and he steadied himself and continued.

"I wouldn't have it at first. The darkness is so. . . powerful. You know it well as I do. But these people. . . their magick isn't just the spitfire and dragon communion we like to think it is. It's more than that. These people are more. They bend the earth, summon water from its resting place. This man commands the plants themselves and this stubborn young lady bears a sword of magical gemstones! It comes to her whenever called. Imagine, Alder! Imagine never being without a sword! The man heals, too. . ." He was more reluctant every time he spoke about the healing. "He says he can help my leg. . . and, well, I know I haven't exactly sought help before. . . I just never saw a reason. These lands suffer. . . why should I go on about relieving a small nuisance while others suffer and die each day?" He fell quiet. . . the war was truly difficult for him to talk about, it was painted on his face and his broken expression.

"Maybe you were right all along, Alder. Maybe there is hope."

Avren stared at the man, grinning from ear to ear. Unless he was mistaken, he had just succeeded in his mission. He quietly congratulated himself and cleared his throat. "Ahem, I uh. . . I'm Avren. Avren Lebram. I'm a healer, like he said, and yes, the flora welcome my will, but I wouldn't exactly say I command it. Heh, the wilds are still wild as can be." He glanced over at Pomona who was still fuming over his trickery. Feeling guilty, he figured he'd do the talking again, just as promised. "This is my companion Pomona. She's a ver--- To clarify, I mean my travelling companion! We aren't lovers! I know companion can mean many things but my heart belongs to another. Well. . . she doesn't know, I don't think, that I've given her my heart but . . . well, it's there nonetheless. And well, Pomona isn't her but Pomona is really great. She's as strange as me but a far better fighter, even if my tricks bested her for a moment." He snapped his mouth shut and just kind of stood there, tapping his toes and glancing around, hoping someone else would speak. Words, it seemed, were still not his strong suit.

Baern made his way to Alder and embraced the younger man with a fondness that spoke the name of father and son, and Avren wondered if perhaps this were the case, but then he remembered that Alder had called Baern, Baern. Most people used different titles for their parents, so while maybe they were a bit unusual, he figured they were likely just friends. "Old news, new news, good news, or no news. It's good to see you, Alder. Come, we should all go and have a drink inside." And he carefully led the group into his small cottage where he served hot cider and cold beer -- something for whatever taste was present. The home was cozy and full of history, a whole life that many wouldn't have dared to expect of such a man, but Baern was clearly not one to forget the past, nor neglect the things that made him who he was today, even if they were painful.

"Tell me of your travels, boy."
[/dash]

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Mowkie
Before Pomona could really do or say anything - as if she was really going to in the first place - Baern spoke in a surprisingly delighted tone. From hearing his words, she knew instantly that the man was known and friendly - perhaps, even close enough to be considered family. At this discovery, she let her sword once more dissipate, and crossed her arms over her chest, allowing the remainder of her fuming attitude to boil out of her system.

Alder, meanwhile, found himself both surprised and downright delighted to see two tamers close up. Though, they looked a little more...well, average...than he had anticipated. He gave Baern a massive grin from beneath his graying beard. "Good to hear that the news beat me, then. I saw the dragons flying over Ylandre, but when I had heard about Kuhl, well...I had to come back!"

As Baern continued to speak, the man's eyes seemed to glisten happily. Finally, after so long, he had what he had been searching for. His old mentor had hope. "If what this man says is true, Baern, I say go for it. You can help end the suffering of others were you to have your leg back. You and I can help these tamers! With them and their dragons on our side, we can finally push this darkness away...and maybe, just maybe, we can get Otamur back. I don't know about you, but I would like to see it at least one more time before I die."

When Avren spoke, Alder turned his steely blue gaze towards the rope-haired stranger, his face softening slightly. "Pleasure to meet ya, Avren and Pomona. My name is Alder Grey. Ser Baern is my old mentor - taught me everything I know." He chuckled over Pomona's jaw dropping at Avren's awkward declaration over loving someone else. "Who?!" She asked, both curious and surprised. "Do you even talk to any of the other tamers?"

His chuckle became a loud guffaw. "Quite a scene, you are. Are you always like this?"

"I am NOT strange!" Back to fuming, the mercenary gave a huff and crossed her arms tighter before her chest. "It is not my fault that this man is so stubborn."

"Well, he can't help it, either, m'lady. Always been hard headed." Alder gave her a lopsided smile before turning back towards Baern, who confronted him and embraced him. The old soldier let his eyes close momentarily before he backed away and nodded with a smile. "Aye, that sounds good to me." Following closely behind Baern, he moved through the old cottage as though it was just as much his home as it was the older man's. Seating himself across the table, he took a cold beer and took a hearty swig. As he did so, Pomona reluctantly seated herself beside him and took some beer as well, remaining silent.

"Well, when I left Kibran last, I had decided to go and see how Eltas was doing. They're fighting strong, but starting to waver a bit. The darkness has certainly crept quite a bit since then, I'm sure. From there, I travelled to Dawn City, reporting all of my findings along the way to the commander there. He was distraught to say the least at overhearing that certain parts of the plague were still advancing. For a while, it was really beginning to appear as though we were losing this war."

He took another swig before continuing, letting his hand fall once over his beard to wipe away the condensation. "While I was in Dawn City, I saw the dragons flying over Ylandre. I remember this bright flash of light when I was standing watch in one of the towers one night, as though there was a star on the surface of Illos. It was beautiful, but for some odd reason, it made me sad. Soon after, I decided to leave and start making my way back. I only made it a little ways before I overheard the news of Kuhl. That was when I picked up my pace and came back to you. And, well...here I am."

He turned his gaze to Avren, then. "Mind if I ask...your leader...what is his name? Merrik Tetra? Is he here with you now?"

• Love
Avren sat quietly, staring at Pomona with a mix of spite and suspicious. As if he'd ever tell anyone about his special love for Saira. Ha! He'd read the books, he knew better. One gentleman from the Old Order warned him of this: A bird's song was only as special as the mate for which it sang. To all the onlookers, it's simply a beautiful melody, it's purpose lost. His feelings for Saira would remain private, his adventures and moments with her, it was all in the song of his love for her and if he shared it with others. . . it would just be a love story. It'd be cheap entertainment. He didn't dare take away from what it truly was and so he eyed Pomona suspiciously, as if she threatened his love itself. Perhaps the real reason why he felt so threatened was because part of him wanted to gush about how beautiful Saira was and how perfect her voice sounded, even in the rainy weather, even during laps. Part of him wanted to tell the world about how he felt and what he saw because it was just so beautiful! But. . . as his books directed, he'd be a gentleman.

When Alder spoke to him, he started and blinked. He wasn't sure what was happening at first, sudden questions about Merrik made him nervous, much like when an employee at a local shop was asked if the manager was in. He grabbed his cider and took a gulp before narrowing his eyes and trying his best to use good words.

"Yes, well, he's actually away on business right now. Er. . . a rescue mission. His sister was taken by the dark lord and so he and the rest of the Order had to venture into the heart of Ogual's lair to retrieve her." He leaned over to Baern then. "If you want to see some impressive mana, you should see Master Tetra. The man is a force to be reckoned with. If he had come out here, those woods would be cleared in a heartbeat." Avren spoke of Merrik with such respect and such pride, it was obvious the man had grown to trust and honor his leader. "So, they're either still in the volcano lair or they're back at the meadow. We haven't heard because we're to focus on our mission: helping the honorable village of Kibran. So let us help! Baern, I'd like to start healing your leg right now."

Baern spit out his drink as if Avren had just revealed a scandalous secret or made a foul gesture to him. "N-now? What. . . but, well now? How do you even. . . what will you do?"

Avren grinned. "You just sit there. I weave mana into your body, willing it to seek out the imperfections or flaws in your leg and then I help direct it to reforming whatever injury is present. I have a good understanding of what a normal, healthy leg is supposed to look like, inside and out. Because of that, the mana knows it too and the mana will work with your body to fix what's wrong. It'll feel weird for sure, especially if the bones or muscles need to be altered at all, but I can assure you it won't hurt."

Baern had paled at this point but after chugging back the rest of his second tankard of ale and looking to Alder for a reassuring glance, he closed his eyes and nodded. "On with it then. . . "

"Oh I've been doing it for about three minutes now."

Baern stared at him. After a few moments, he blinked, then set about finding some more ale. Avren laughed and continued to focus his attention while sipping on his ale. The injury wasn't a bad one at all. There was an old fracture that never set right and the jagged edges were causing consistent inflammation in the muscle. As a result, a callous had formed and made the muscle tense and stubborn in the area. The constant tension between the damaged tissue and the movement of the healthy tissue was causing a persistent, dull ache and if he stretched it too far or put too much weight on it when it was worn, he'd get a sharp pain. Or at least this was what Avren could gather. Truthfully, he never knew for absolute certain what was wrong but he was getting better and better at reading the feedback from the mana as it worked. It helped him understand the body better and as such, it was a beneficial, self-perpetuating process of learning.

It only took him about 15 minutes to make the minor changes on the exterior of the bone where there was a jagged protrusion. After that, he simply worked on replacing the scar tissue with healthy muscle and soon enough, he stopped and cleared his throat, interrupting the small talk between the two men who were going over various details of what was going on in which town across Galidus and Sylvis.

"Well, give it a go."

Baern stopped and with some uncertainty, he carefully stood, ready to brace himself as his leg often struggled to adjust to the weight change from sitting to standing. To his surprise, the gesture was unnecessary for he stood with absolute ease. His eyes widened as he realized there was no pain as he bent his leg and walked in a circle around the table. "I'll be. . . "

And that was the final step in reviving the old man from his depression, his hopelessness, and his grim outlook. "Alder, the world is changing." He looked at Avren, and then to Pomona. "The world is changing and it's because of these heroes. If we had only had them at our sides when Otamur fell, none of this would have happened. But they're here now. Today, we fight back. Today, we fight alongside these folk of legends and we start the reclamation of our lands. Too much has been lost, the scales have been tipped in favor of that dark bastard for too long but today. . . today I have seen them tip back before my very eyes. There is hope, Alder."

Avren grinned and allowed himself a small fist pump before noticing Pomona had seen the gesture. He awkwardly choked back a smile and went back to his cider.

"So. . . " he said quietly after a moment. "What say we wrap this day up with a dose of victory! Let's go out to the woods and see what we can do about the plague. Pomona, you think we can handle it without the others? Shouldn't be too difficult wit dragonfire and if all else fails, we'd be in a forest which means the battleground is my weapon."

[dash=white]

Merrik looked at Reverie with a complex expression that mirrored his thoughts. He struggled with notions of loneliness, because he wasn't alone in his youth. . . he always had his family. His loving mother, his devout and caring father, his beloved sister who always tried to make things easier. It was true he never really socialized outside of the various events held at the manor by his parents, but he. . . he felt as if being called lonely disregarded how hard his family tried, given the circumstances. After all, there was only so much a family could do while concealing a world-changing secret in the form of a 5-year-old mage sharing a soul with a dragon.

But the idea of having a bigger family. . . well, that made sense to him. "I think I already do." He smiled, realizing then that the Order was so much more to him than a collection of comrades to which he owed his loyalty by will of an old, magical oath. They were so much more to him than that. It was this thought that brought him to stop himself from refusing Reverie's offer of help, even though he desperately wanted to maintain the sole provision of care over Terria for himself.

"Okay, Rev. You can help. And I promise, I'll try to be around for family dinner more often." He smiled, a teasing look in his eye, before looking up to the cooling skies.

"What say we all go for a swim, hmm?" It was hot that evening and though the air was beginning to cool, it was a farcry from a comfortable temperature. "Come on, we don't have much time to relax anymore, we might as well enjoy it while we can." He stood up and offered a hand each to Reverie and Saira.

[/dotted]
[/dash]

• Love
Reactions: Rainjay and White
[dash=white]
"Mhmm." He said quietly as she spoke. He was listening, that much was clear, but it was as if he was listening for a very different reason from what one might assume. "Yes, very well. There is little to be said. The town is thriving, despite the many mistakes our last mayor made. It has taken some work but slowly the economy is beginning to stabilize and with more money coming in we are able to allocate it where necessary." He strolled forward to a nearby window hung with deep orange drapes with golden ties holding them back.

"The woods are a different matter." He spoke without looking at her, now. Staring out the window, he seemed absent, but his words remained clear and informative. "Summoning arms is not the duty of a meager forest town, it is the duty of our leaders to protect us. The army of Galidus was once a proud piece, lead by an intelligent and well-prepared king, if not an unrighteous one. Yes, he fell to the wrath of the gods to pay for his own mistakes but while he reigned, it cannot be said he did not protect his people. As for the current state of affairs. . . well, it is in the hands of the Gods now. After all, how else would a humble town such as ours receive the undivided attention of half the Great Order, hmm?"

He turned then and stepped towards her. "You are protectors of Illos, yes? We are not. We are mere citizens of the nations your Order is bound to protect. So perhaps I should ask you: have you had any thought of summoning arms to the woods?"
[/dash]

Illyria listened to the man's words thoughtfully, pondering how best to respond. He spoke the way her parents would have; and to an extent, she agreed. It was not the common man's job to go into the woods and fight these monsters. A smith or forester would lose his life faster than the trained soldiers at Kuhl would, and she had seen many of them fall every single day. It had become a normal event to witness... but she hardly wanted to see it here. These people were simple, and lived peaceful lives. What would they think of their gods if the protectors they sent asked for them to die in their service? What would they think of the Order?

"Perhaps," she said, wanting to be truthful. "I don't pretend to speak for any god, but as a woman who walks the earth, I must admit having doubts for our ability--for there are only a handful of us here in Kibran--to singlehandedly fight this foe. Granted, I've yet to see what threatens your forests."

"What distracts you so?" she then asked, unmoving where she stood but glancing towards the window that captured his attention. He was barely giving her any attention. "Must be important."

"I...," her cheeks changed into a light red, flustered, freezing in the moment. In a way, she had expected more resistance or that he would be reluctant. She certainly did not expect that, yet what truly flustered her was that wording, family. Family, she repeated in her mind with a glowing feeling of comfort and belonging growing within her.
It was also this that unfroze her and made her thumps up with the biggest grin she could make, saying "Agreed" to Merrik's words, accepting his hand. There was something that made her smile brightly as she made step for step to change into something more suitable.

"Family...," she repeated once again, making her way to the pool, that bright smile remaining."Yes... this is family," left her lips, humming in a joy that she could not contain.

Celeste, too, joined to find her place in the near. Watching, curiously and in suprise to have noticed Reverie to be in this rather unusual state.

The mercenary did not miss the suspicious gaze of her comrade, which made her brow furrow in confusion and irritation. What could possibly make him act so strangely? "You can stop looking at me like that, Avren. It's not like I'm going to steal her...or him, for that matter. Loved and lost already - you can keep that for yourself." With that, she downed the rest of her beer and continued to sulk in her little corner of the table. She hadn't even flinched when the stranger mentioned Merrik's name.

Alder was taken aback in surprise when Avren told him the news. "The Dark Lord got a hold of another Tetra? That takes some skill. I hope the lady Tetra is doing well, and I'm sure there's no one more suited to take care of such an important task than him. But then...if he is elsewhere...are there enough tamers to help Kibran?"

His gaze was stoic and serious, his brows cinching together above his nose as he leaned forward and rested his elbows on the table. "Even with myself and Baern, there are not enough warriers here to push back the plague. Unless it is a small force pushing through the woods."

The old soldier had every faith in the lad's ability to heal, and he found himself completely unsurprised when Baern had finally stood without issue or pain. Having finished off his second mug, keeping the peace and attempting - with great difficulty - to get the maiden beside him to open up, he watched with a smile as Baern straightened. It was as though the last ten years simply lifted off the man's shoulders, and Alder could not be happier for it. A part of him wished he could be one of the heroes his mentor had mentioned, but he quickly drove that need away and stood to congratulate Baern properly. "There always was, Baern. I'm glad you finally see it."

Pomona said nothing at Avren's tiny celebration, but her face softened, and she visibly relaxed. It would take her some time to get over herself, but for the moment, she let her comrade enjoy this small victory.

However, when Avren mentioned heading out without the whole group, her eyes widened. "Just the two of us with these two soldiers? No! Absolutely not! That's suicide." Having realized that she stated this in front of the two men, she pulled Avren aside and whispered to him in a bit more of a graceful manner. "Avren, we don't know how many are out there, and we don't know how serious Ogual is about taking over this village. Even with the forest before you as well as Katla and Viridian at our backs, it's too dangerous...we've already lost two tamers! We can't risk dying when we're so close to victory. We should first gather the others...if you want to do a quick scouting mission on the backs of our dragons, I'm okay with that...but by no means can we just wander in there, two tamers and two soldiers and hope that we survive. If it's hope you want to give them, let's give these men a ride."

"The lady has a point," Alder mentioned grimly, giving her a small wink to show his understanding. "Even with magic like what you've got, we're gonna need every able bodied fighter we can get first. However, I'd love to go on a ride...if you'd let me, that is."

[dash=white]
Avren looked from Pomona to Alder and then to Bearn, who was still walking around with a look of played-down enthusiasm, as if he was embarrassed to be ecstatic about his now-healed injury. "Well? Who knows what it looks like out there? What about that man. . . the sentinel. . . gods I can't remember his name for the life of me. Is that terrible? There are just so many names! How do you people remember all of the names?"

An awkward silence pursued before Baern spoke out. "Ferborn. Yes, he'll known. He'll have more information than anyone else. We'll go seek him out at his home." And he was completely prepared to leave his home and walk down the street with ease. Walk. Without any pain.

Avren was quick to follow, and it seemed he had some new-found, shining confidence. It seemed he was prepared to waltz into battle right at that moment. "Are you two coming?" He waited for a moment and followed the trio outside onto the street.

They made their way along the path and cut off along a side street that looped around and met back up with the main road, though they didn't make it that far. Only three houses in, they stopped outside a very simple home, not very large, and not particularly small, but average for the region. It didn't stand out like some of the other houses around the square and it seemed in slight disrepair. Baern approached the wooden door and knocked hard, stepping back to await a response. For some time, there was nothing. The party was just about to leave when the door swung open and Feraborn stood there, calming wiping his hands dry on a cloth.

"What is it? What's got such an odd crowd at my door? Hmm?"

"We need to know what's happening in the woods, Feraborn. The tamers have agreed to act and we need to know what they'll be facing."

The man cast a suspicious glance but eventually he moved into his house to rid himself of the cloth before stepping out onto the street and closing the door behind him. The group stood in a semi-circle around him and listened carefully as he spoke. "There's about two hundred, and I tell you, they're up to something. They're burning the woods! What kind of an army does that? Who takes the time for such a thing? Whatever their reason, they're burning a trail right to our doorstep and not a soul has acted on it. If you mean what you say, I wish you all the grace of the Four - you'll need it."

Avren lit up when he heard this. "Pomona," he said excitedly, turning to his companion, "we can handle this! We've handled thousands with the whole Order. There were thousands in Kuhl, probably a thousand or more in Ylandre. Sure, we had the help of an army, but surely we can handle a few hundred on our own. We come up with an attack that will catch them off guard and play the battle in our favor. We can do this, Pomona. I know we can do this." Baern was shocked. Thousands? For a dozen and some of the Order? Thousands?
[/dash]

Reactions: Rainjay