Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Griffin glared at X. "You dont get to have a say in what I do X. I am not talking about you as if your not there. You are welcome to state your opinion anytime. I have given mine."

Sam frowned but nothing. He agreed with everything his father had said. "I dont wont to live with a bunch of horse people. I want to live in a city. With a house. Daddy promised me a house. I want to go to school. A real one."

The demon clammed up right after that and kept to himself, despite the freedom to state his opinion. He couldn't argue with Griffin's response; the man truly hadn't been speaking about him. He'd just wanted them to stop talking.

Ophelia frowned when Sam spoke up. "I understand, buddy. I want to help you find the city. The city, and the house, and the school... I want to help you find it. So you can have everything your daddy promised." Unlike with X, Ophelia spoke gently with Sam. She didn't get frustrated with him, or grouchy, because she understood him to be a child. The demon was older, and supposed to be more in control of his attitude. "Just remember if we can't find it, you're welcome to stay with my family." The centuar smiled at him, hoping to evoke some remotely positive response out of the boy.

"I don't want to." Sam pouted. He crossed his arms and ignored Ophelia. Or he tried to it was hard to ignore someone that big. He didn't want to live anywhere but the place promised him that he would be safe. Being with the horse woman's herd wouldn't be safe. She had proven that by getting caught. He didn't want to any chance of being taken again. He didn't want to lose his daddy again.

Griffin glared at Ophelia. He didn't like how she was nice to Sam but impatient with X. He knew the demon was trying. But that was no excuse for being rude to him. The X couldn't help how he was. "You need to stop treating them different. X just as much a part of this group as Sam. He might not always been the best helper but he has always done his best and that's all anyone can do.

Ophelia looked at Griffin, then looked back at X, who's attention had been grabbed when he heard his name. "He's done his best?" She wanted to laugh. "He's been crabby and hateful and rude ever since he woke up last night. He's old enough- and I should hope he's old enough- to know how to filter what he says and control his attitude. If he's going to be a brat to me, I'll be one right back. Sam is a child. I can make exceptions for children." In her mind, X had no excuse.

Griffin shook his head. "That's where your wrong." he told her. He looked at X. He didn't want to hurt the demons feelings. He searched for a way for him to explain the situation to hurt without hurting the demon. "x isn't always an adult. If you pay attention you'll see what I mean. Even if he was you ARE an adult. You should be mature enough not to lash out at someone simply because they were grumpy about being woken up."

X scoffed at Griffin. "Tell her everything, why don't you? It's not like I've got things I would like to keep personal, or anything!" He crossed his arms, very much betrayed and hurt by the fact Griffin wouldn't just leave it be and let Ophelia be a brat to him. X knew he could handle himself, so long as she never had the intention to hit him. And for the most part, he was fine simply yelling back and forth with her. He preferred it, even. "Go on, tell her! Tell her all my ugly secrets. Might as well tell her every embarrassing thing I've done." He hissed, growing more and more frustrated.

Ophelia was getting equally worked up. She didn't take well to being told off, for something that wasn't wrong in her eyes. "I didn't do anything wrong!" X was an adult, that much she knew, when he'd woke up. She saw the change in attitude- she knew what Griffin meant. "It wasn't even because he woke up! He was being an ass because I was there!" Who the hell is this? I don't want her here! Quit your damn staring! She didn't understand why Griffin didn't see eye to eye with her on that.

Sam's lip quivered. He wasn't use to fighting. His father had never been a people person but he had never acted like this. He hurried over to his father seeking comfort. He looked from one adult to another. "Don't fight."

Griffin picked up Sam. He ignored the pain that shot through his leg at the extra weight. "X you might not care how she treats you but I do. It isn't fair for her to be nice to Sam simply because he's younger. If she is going to be traveling with us Ophelia will figure it out eventually."

X rolled his eyes at the man. "It's nothing I'm not used to." He stated. "She would've figured it out just fine without you telling her. I can handle myself fine without you telling everyone every little thing about me."

Ophelia resisted the urge to cringe and make herself seem small. She stood proud and defiant, in spite of every sensible nerve telling her to back down. She had too much pride for that. She wouldn't alpologize for something that she knew she wasn't wrong about. "I'll treat him better when he treats me better." She crossed her arms and walked off, a few paces ahead of Griffin.

"Enough both of you. Your both acting like children. I expect better from both of you." Griffin said as he walked away from them. He was pissed. He didn't need more difficulties. He should leave them behind but he knew he would regret it if he did. X couldn't survive on his own. The demon might think otherwise but he knew the truth. X was his responsibility. He would do his best to help the demon get someplace where he would find some sort of balance.

Ophelia didn't say anything. She was done, and dropped the conversation. She was equally mad as Griffin, and in her head, even moreso. After all, she was right.

X was in a bad mood in general, aggravation aside. He decided to push Griffin's buttons. "What do you mean, I'm acting like a child? According to you, I am one half the time! I'm not acting," He teased mockingly. There was a hateful smirk on his face, and it brought him too much enjoyment being a little shit, especially when he knew it'd come back to bite him.

Griffin was tempted to walk a way from both of them. He didn't need the stress or complications that they brought to his life. He wanted peace. He thought by now he had earned it. But apparently fate didn't agree with him. They thought he needed to struggle some more. He sighed. Eventually he picked Sam up because the boy had slowed down. He was looking for a place to stop to eat. He hoped some food would improve everyone's mood.

It took X a while to understand that he wasn't going to get the rise of out Griffin that he wanted. He quieted and settled down after he realized the man wasn't going to pay him the attention he wanted. The demon was still mad about the whole incident with Ophelia, but she wasn't starting anything with him, and he'd extend the same to her. When Griffin suggested stopping and eating, Ophelia had no objections. She wasn't terribly hungry, and she knew she could've kept going for longer, but she understood that his boy didn't have that same durability, and X likely didn't either. She took another apple from the pack- it being the only thing she could properly eat and digest. Meats didn't sit well with the horse half of her body; she couldn't digest it right and it made her sick. But apples and other fruits and greens were okay. Grasses were something she tried to steer clear of unless necessary; she didn't like the way it tasted or felt on her tongue. Like Ophelia, X ate in silence, with little objection. He'd hardly gotten to eat earlier, Ophelia having woke up and ruined his breakfast. For the time, Griffin had his peace.

Griffin set Sam down as he lowered himself to the ground under a tree. He was frustrated. He didnt know how to handle X or Ophelia. He simply didnt have the social skills to help them get along. Atleast they had stopped fighting. He gave X and Sam each some meat. He settled on some berries. They werent his favorite and his system wouldnt like it but he would eat them. He had learned long ago to eat whatever he had access to.

X ate quickly, with nothing to distract him. When he finished, and he saw Griffin eating his berries, staring off into the distance with an upset look on his face, the demon began to worry. "Is something wrong?" He asked, more concerned than he wanted to let on. "Are you mad at me?" He held his hand over his stomach, and his hand clenched his gut at the question. Sharp nails dug into the stained fabric of his once clean shirt. He left little marks in his skin, as a way of distracting himself from the crippling anxiety that came with such an open ended question.

Griffin looked up at X's question. He shook his head. "No X I am not mad at you." He wasn't really mad at anyone. The situation was no one's fault. He had gotten them into this. He had chosen X and he would stand by that decision. The demon was his responsibility until he could take care of himself or no longer wanted to be with him. He finished the berries. They sat like lead in his stomach but he ignored the discomfort. He had experienced worse.

"Daddy..." Sam started to ask him something but stopped. He knew that berries weren't good for them but his father was eating them. He didn't understand why. He wanted to understand why his father would eat something that would make him feel bad. But it this didn't seem like the best time to ask. "Can we rest awhile?"

Griffin's answer was mean to be reassuring, but it didn't make the demon feel any better. He looked away and sighed, still feeling just as tense and wound up as before. Ophelia, too, was feeling just as edgy, but she took it out a different way. "I'm going to go on up ahead. I'll see what's out there on up the road. I'll be back." She couldn't sit still in that dead air anymore; she had too much energy for that.

After she was gone and out of sight, X spoke up. "Are you mad at her still?"

"I'm not mad at anyone." Griffin told X honestly. He was frustrated and disappointed. But not angry. He wanted more then he was getting out of life. But Atleast his son was safe for now. If he could keep Sam out of the slaver's hands until they reached the free kingdom he always be safe. That was all he wanted at this point. As long as his son had a better life then he did he would be happy.

X nodded and looked away once more. If Griffin wasn't mad, then what was his issue? X didn't understand what was the matter, if there was nothing to be upset about. He assumed then, that Griffin wasn't telling the truth and that secretly, something was bothering him. More specifically, someone-- and he guessed it to be himself. The demon laid down on the ground, placing his arms behind his head. He stared at the sky for a long while after that, watching the clouds roll against the endless blue plains. "I'm sorry," He apologized earnestly, "I'm sorry for being a brat... Making this trip harder on you than it needs to be. I'm glad you picked me up from wherever you got me... I'd probably be dead by now if you didn't."

Griffin shook his head. "I doubt you would be dead X." Sam whimpered at the word and moved closer to his father. He didnt like the way they were talking. He might not always like X but he didnt want him to be dead. "Demons are hard to kill. That's why people want them for slaves." He should know he had seen more demon slaves then any other breed. He didnt think it was right. But there wasnt anything he could about it. The strong controlled the weak. And if they were caught young enough demons were very weak. He had a feeling that X hadnt been much older then Sam when he had gotten caught.

X glanced at Griffin, and curled his toes, catching grass between them as he looked at the man. He sighed. Of course Griffin had a point with that statement. Not that he liked the fact as it was. "Y-yeah well... I guess I wished I was dead then. I'd rather be dead than-" what was the phrase? -"see the other thing." Sounded good enough. "I'd rather be dead if I wasn't here with you." X meant every word he said. These were the best days of his life, despite the moodiness and the crying fits that accompanied most of them. "I don't deserve how good you are to me."

Status
Not open for further replies.