Rescuing the Young(Katherun&Halie)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Status
Not open for further replies.
"You name is a letter. I've never met a person that had for a name. I know how to write your name. Daddy's been teaching me my letters." Sam told X as he began eating his soup.

Griffin watched the two talk. He liked that X reminded Sam to eat. It could have been done softer but it at least he was looking after the boy.

X listened to Sam as he ate. Jealousy bit at him hearing that the kid knew how to write his name. The boy knew more than he did, and that stung at his pride. "Yeah?" He tried to sound interested. He didn't know what to say to him or how to talk to him, and he looked to Griffin for reassurance that he wasn't doing anything bad. He hadn't made the kid cry, so that was a good thing.

Griffin smiled at X reassuringly. He thought the demon was handling the situation pretty well. He was deep in thought as he ate.

Sam nodded. "I could show you. Daddy is very smart. He said the smarted you are the better people treat you. He said that I will be very smart some day.

Amber gold eyes widened in anticipation for some sort of answer beyond a smile. He wanted Griffin to say something to him. X licked his lips then bit them. It was a nervous tic. "He is smart. And you are too. Now stop talking and eat before your food gets cold and its no good. Could be the last meal you get. So you shouldn't waste it."

Sam looked at his father tweridued that what X threatened was true. He pulled the bowl towards him. "L..last m...meal... But I thought..."

"X!" Griffin scolded softly. "You shouldn't scare Sam like that you apologized." He didnt like scolding X in front of Sam but it was more important that the demon know that what he said wasn't appropriate.

The demon hadn't meant to really scare the kid, but he was done talking, and he figured telling him that would effectively end the conversation. It was what he'd grown up with; you didn't let food go to waste by talking during a meal, a rare occasion as it was, or rather, used to be. Griffin seemed to understand that, and he wanted Sam to as well. He looked at the man in confusion when he was called out on what he'd said. "Apologize? Why? He ought to be afraid; he'd be stupid if he wasn't!" Jealousy from earlier came back to bite him in the ass now, with little regard for the repercussions of anything he said.

"You will apologize now X." Griffin told him calmly. "Sam has just been returned to me. I will not have you scaring him. There is no need to scare him. No one will go hungry ever. I will make sure that was all have enough to eat. You haven't gone hungry since you met me X. Now you apologize to Sam for scaring him for no reason."

Sam ate his soup as fast as he could. Faster than he should have considering that he hadn't had much to eat the last few months. He whimpered and held his stomach. Then he got sick throwing up the soup he had eaten. He burst into tears and ran out of the room.

X crossed his arms in a show of indignant defiance. He hadn't done anything wrong. Sam would've kept talking and his soup would've gone cold. Then he wouldn't have eaten it at all. What was wrong about reminding him that sometimes things got taken away? He should've known that, having been with poachers. The demon's eyes narrowed and he glared at Griffin, much like he'd done when they first met. "I didn't do anything wrong." He told the man. But he winced and lost his edge when he heard the boy begin to cough and sputter. Everything about him softened when Sam threw up, having made himself sick because of what he told him. X flinched then, curled in on himself expecting Griffin to yell at him, or hit him one, especially when the child ran off crying.

Griffin sighed. "Clean that up! I will take care Sam." He stood and headed out of the room. It was going to be hard and frustrating to make the three of them a family. He was almost tempted to call it quits. He didn't have the patience to do it. But he cared about X almost as much as he loved Sam. Some how he had to find a way to make things work for all of them. Too bad he didn't have the slightest clue how to do it.

Sam ran to the room he had been in before. He didn't know why he ran there. He just hadn't known where else to run. He huddled under the be scared and confused. He had never been afraid around his father before. Would food start disappearing now?

• Love
Reactions: Special Doodle
X didn't move. Even after Griffin told him to clean up the mess, and he'd ran after his son, he stayed in his seat, still curled up in that defensive little ball. Again, he fought with himself. His rational mind, which wasn't so rational at all at the moment, held firm onto the belief that he hadn't done a thing wrong. But Griffin's little one was scared- terrified- that he'd done something horribly wrong. That part of him didn't know what'd happened. He saw the vomit and the empty bowl of soup and the empty chairs around him. He could hear little sobs coming from the other side of the house, and he worried that he'd been the cause of them. "Griffin?" He called, his voice shaky and small like Sam's.

Griffin wanted to grabbed his son and pull him into his arms. But he knew that if he did so it would only upset Sam more. He was trying to figure out that how do get Sam out from under the bed when he heard X. He sighed. Comfort X or comfort Sam. He was torn. He decided to deal with X first since he wasn't hiding under a bed. He went back to the dinning room. "Come here X." He called to the demon. "I need to tend to Sam. You need to apologize. We need to find away to get along."

The demon was hesitant, but Griffin hadn't sounded mad at him. Still, he was scared. The man said he needed to apologize, but he didn't know what for. Slowly, carefully, he made his way to the bedroom where Sam and Griffin were. He could see the boy hiding under the bed, and his heart sunk, realizing that he was the one who'd scared him enough to do it. Griffin must've hated him for whatever it was he'd done. X stared at the man with wide, petrified eyes, trembling a bit where he stood. "I'm sorry," He apologized quietly, more so to Griffin, than Sam, who needed the apology more than anyone.

Griffin nodded. It was the best he was going to get for now. He knew it was probably the best X could do. He doubted that the demon know that he what he had done or why he was in trouble. Griffin lowered himself awkwardly to the floor. He looked under the bed. "Come out Sam. No one is going to hurt you." He looked at X. "Nor are they going to take your food. Are they X?"

Sam hesitated. He peaked out from behind his arms. He studied to the two men. He wanted to believe them but after being scared and alone for the last few months he wasn't sure. His father had told him that he was safe with the bird tribe. His father had either been wrong or he had lied. Sam didn't know which. He wasn't sure that it mattered. It made him reluctant to trust anything the man said.

It was a bad question. X didn't understand what he meant. Rather than offer the answer that Griffin expected him to, the answer that Sam needed to feel safe, the demon got worried as well. "What?" He looked at the man in confusion, then shook his head. "I don't know." He answered honestly. "Y-you might. If you get mad at me." Then he took a step back. "You're not going to? Are you? I-I-I'll be good, I promise!" It wasn't the answer Sam needed, but X didn't know what Griffin wanted or why he'd asked the question to begin with.

Griffin sighed. "X have I ever taken your food from you?" It probably wasn't the best question. But it was the only one he had. He had been mad at X many times since they had met. He had only lashed out one. Which for Griffin was odd. But X was too child like for him to take his anger out on. He was hoping that would help X connect to Sam. But it might just divide his attention.

Sam whimpered as the demon promised to good. If X was afraid of his father than maybe he should be too. He moved back as far as he could. He watched the two afraid of what they would do.

X bit his lip and looked to the ground. He didn't know. "I don't remember." He just knew that when he'd been bad before, he had his food taken away. There were times when he hadn't had anything to eat for days, because someone was mad at him, for some reason or another. And try as he might to forget that part of his past, he couldn't. Nice as Griffin was to him, he couldn't look past things that'd been done to him before. "You won't take it, will you? I'll be good, I'll be good to Sam," He pleaded earnestly.

Sam sobbed. X's answer only made his fear worse. He wasn't going to come out he was going to stay under the bed. It was safe here. No one could hurt him or take his things. Not that he had anything to take. He didn't think about them. He just watched the other two with fear in his small eyes.

Griffin ran his hand over his head. "Im not going to take anything away from anyone." He promised. He paced the room trying to figure out how to fix this. He had never face a situation like this. He didn't know what to do. How could he make things better for both Sam and X? How could he make them both feel safe?

Sam's crying made X's stomach twist and tie itself in knots. He didn't like hearing the boy cry, because he felt like he was making him do it. He nodded at Griffin, briefly accepting the promise, before turning his attention to the little boy. X got on his knees in front of the bed, and he knelt down to look underneath it, getting at Sam's level entirely. "D-don't, don't cry, please?" He pleaded with him, reaching a hand under the bed for him to take. He offered it as the hand he always wanted when he was scared and alone and wanted to hold something. "I... I get scared easy, too. I spent a really, really long time with a lot of really bad people. And sometimes, I forget Griffin is good. Please don't cry..." He looked at the boy with wide, pleading eyes. The demon looked a bit silly, all knelt down and hunched over like he was, but he hadn't a care in the world.

• Love
Reactions: KatherinWinter
Sam studied X. He couldn't see his father. Had he left? Sam didn't think so he could hear the man moving around but couldn't see him. Not seeing him help him think. The demon seemed serious. And he wanted nothing more than to take the offered hand. He reached out slowly to the hand. He wrapped his hand around X's. He slowly made his way out from under the bed.

Griffin paused his pausing and watched X talked to Sam. Maybe just maybe there was hope for the three of them. "Thank you X." He said when he saw Sam take the demon's hand. He stayed back just in case. He didn't want to scare of them. He was bigger than they were. He gave the two a chance to make peace.

X lightly squeezed Sam's hand in gentle, nonverbal reassurance when they touched, and he helped the boy out of his hiding spot with relative ease. With Sam out from underneath the bed, X rose to his feet and extended his arm towards Griffin for Sam to go to him instead. The boy needed to trust his dad. He didn't know how much time they'd spent apart, but it had to have been a while, for as anxious and fearful as the kid was. "He missed you an awful lot," He told him, moving his arm again to nudge them closer to one another. His breath hitched in his throat, and jealousy bit at him again, knowing Sam would always have first priority to Griffin. No matter how much he might've meant to him, he'd never mean as much as Sam, and that hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.