Remind Me of the Heart(LittleRabbitXPotassiumboron)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
If Elora had the choice, the ability, she would have made the vampire stay that night. Truthfully she would have given him anything he needed, anything he wanted if it meant she was able to spare the life of another human.
However, Chaol had quickly put a stop to such an idea. Declaring that he needed her to be fully rested, fully coherent to help him navigate the unusual world he found himself in. Perhaps even more selfish, Elora had wished he stayed there with her that night—simply because she did not wish for anyone else to gaze upon him.

A notion that passed as quickly as it came. Elora held no right to such feelings, Chaol wasn't hers to keep. If one were to look at the whole picture, it would be obvious Elora was just there as a person of convenience. She saved the vampire from thousands of more years of slumber, while simultaneously dooming the town due to his awakening. She wasn't special, Chaol did not choose her like he did Francine or Athanasia.
No, Elora just happened to be the one to reawaken him. That was all.

Yet, she couldn't help but harbor some jealousy of the ones that would see him that night. The fact that he was going to whisper sweet nothings, promising them the world before quickly ending it—or perhaps not. It was too hard to tell just yet.
Even despite him saying he would be home late—Elora wondered if he would actually return that night or when the sun was just starting to rise. Would he spend the night at some stranger's house? Would he keep them alive, plan to use them just as he would Francine?

The questions rattled through Elora until she forced them to come to a stop—choosing to instead bring her attention back to the vampire and his voice. Grateful the wound was able to cut through her spiral…besides it's not like they were dating, or even forming and nurturing such a relationship. She shouldn't care what he was about to do that night.

The vampire would hear the woman chuckle behind as she led him to the door. A tiny smirk playing against her lips, "Hey how was I suppose to know? I thought you would like to make that first move—just going up to them and being like 'Well hello darling, couldn't help notice you there and thought you could use a drink.'" Elora lowered her voice in an awful attempt to match Chaols, suppressing a laugh as she did so. "And then they would be like 'Oh my! I've never seen you here before.'" Rising her voice an octave higher, the woman's accent quickly changed to that of a southern bell, slow and full of naivety.
"And then you two would talk, probably make out, and carry on for the rest of the night."

A scuff left her lips as he talked about humans being sad, pathetic as they fell helplessly to his allure. He wasn't wrong with that statement. It was indeed awfully pathetic, sad, to see such desperation for individuals to fulfill their need for lust or love. Folding at the smallest of jesters, melting into a stranger's palm by a simple kind word or flirtatious action. Still—even if it was a lie, Elora wasn't going to admit to such things about herself.
"As true as that might be, there will be some who won't fall for your charm Chaol. Take me as an example. You have yet to cause the tiniest bit of swooning from me." If Chaol had known those words to be true, perhaps her carelessness would have stung a bit—however unknown to Elora, the beating of her heart gave her away.

There was no hiding the fluttering of her heart, the smell of desire that encompasses the woman with each flirty comment or grin. Despite how outwardly she would deny her attraction to the man—it was simply not the case. One that he might have been fully aware of. If he needed more evidence, he had to go no further than when he pinned her against the wall earlier that day. It had triggered something in the woman that she had thought she put to rest ever since she had moved to this town.

As the playfulness died down, making room for genuine concern for Elora's well being that night—Elora could only blink up at the vampire. Touched that someone—-was actually concerned that she was be staying in such a large house by herself.
Even her last boyfriend did not bat an eye when he departed from her, much less showed concern about the shows she happened to watch by herself.

She was…truly stunned.

Elroa was just as sad as any stranger Chaol was to meet that night. The smallest hint of concern from him buried deep in her heart, holding a place even she wasn't aware of. Even if his words were coated in selfish reasoning, that he did not wish to clean her blood due to a murder, his worries could be clearly heard.
"Of course. After all, I would hate for the floor to get stained as well." The small woman chuckled. "I promise, I'll keep safe. But you have to promise me the same. I don't like thinking of you wandering the streets alone with no way of getting in contact with me. I know you can handle yourself, but the world has changed quite a bit. So you have to promise me that you will come home later tonight and that you will watch your back. There are all kinds of weirdos out there."

"There's a difference between you and I, Elora. You are a rather weak human -don't look at me like that, all humans are weak compared to me- who could die at any moment. I am a vampire who has survived countless decades locked away in a chest without light and sustenance, and existed for countless more decades before that. I really think I can manage whatever this modern world has to throw at me, and that a little stroll down to the village-- the town really isn't going to be a threat to my life-- my, you really are worried for me, aren't you?" Chaol persisted, the realisation dawning on him that she had to harbour a genuine care for him if she was keen on pressing to his mind the need to be safe; to continually emphasise that point even if she knew that he probably could deal with any threat that came his way as though batting aside a fly - because it really would be that simple for him.

He knew that she held a desire for him, her attraction unsubtle and having only grown in intensity since the interaction outside the clothes store earlier that day, but he hadn't too many instances to suggest that she had come to actively care for him. He had thrown her into a situation she hadn't asked for, expecting her to share the home she owned with someone who was not only a stranger but a murderous one at that; a monster from mythology itself, who made no secret of his bloodthirst and spoke openly and emotionlessly of the crimes he was happy to commit if it meant getting the drop of blood he desired so much.

How anyone could be content being thrown into such a life was beyond him, but she accepted her role in matters with an outward ease that bewildered him-- but perhaps made him more happy than anything else. Yet, that didn't mean she had to foster any real feelings for the man that had brought so much disarray and chaos into her life; the vampire that put her normal life at such a risk. He fully anticipated her holding resentment towards him for bringing all this onto her plate--

But no. No, on the contrary, she seemed to like him, seemed keen on fostering a friendship and, if her blushing cheeks, beating heart and continuous efforts to insist he keep safe were anything to go by, she seemed to... like him, more than she perhaps wanted him to be aware of.

Satisfied by the fact, and -to his slight embarrassment- warmed by its presence, Chaol flashed her a final smile, if only to see her blush one more time, before adjusting the cufflink at his right wrist and making his exit from the manor to the town, his head determined to rid itself of thoughts of Elora and focus instead on the fun he could get into. He would feed regardless of the dominating thoughts in it, but he would enjoy it a lot less if he had Elora in his head, distracting him from the flirtations he intended to draw in his prey with.

He didn't need to feel guilty for flirting with someone who wasn't Elora when... they weren't an item. They held no obligation to one another, no loyalty.

But it didn't stop the beginnings of a frown from resting on his lips as he thought once more to the girl and the image of her alone at the manor, cuddled up on the sofa when he should be there with her, an arm over her shoulder and his chin resting atop her head, the image of shared companionship, domesticity, bliss--

Shaking his head of those sickeningly sweet thoughts, the vampire, now renewed with his intention to act a little wild that night and feed until he remembered who he was (he was a monster who was feared; not someone who longed to cuddle with humans in some cosy setting), strolled forward with eyes set firmly on whatever devastation he could cause that night.

Yet, unbeknownst to Chaol, his every move was being observed from the shadows. However much he had taunted Elora, the human had been right to share her concerns, given the eyes that followed the vampire as he made his way to town, the figure lurking under the cover of darkness until she could be sure that Chaol had disappeared from view and wouldn't hear her footsteps as she turned on her heel and made her way up the remainder of the hill to the looming manor at its helm.

Francine didn't feel... comfortable knowing that Chaol would be heading into town to feed; to sink his teeth into his prey as he had done with her earlier that day, only some that night might not be as fortuante as she was to stll have their lives at the conclusion of it. But she couldn't save everyone. It would bring too much suspicion on her shoulders if she arrived into town and constantly interrupted Chaol's efforts to feed. As unsettling as it was, she couldn't spare those people from their fates-- but she could spare Elora. She could convince her that Chaol was a monster, dangerous and full of venom, and be satisfied in knowing at least one person had escaped his clutches.

Francine hadn't recognised him at first as he made eye contact with her from across the town square. Initially, the witch had, like most, been bedazzled by the sight of such an enigmatic and handsome stranger, particularly when he shot her a smile that could stop hearts and made his way across to introduce himself-- but the truth dawned on her when she saw the perfection of his features up close, the lifelessness behind the eyes, the danger of his grin.

And the name was the piece of evidence that confirmed it all.

Chaol de Villiers.

She hadn't expected to hear the name for the remainder of her days, however many more decades or centuries that might span. She had existed in the village when he was at the height of his infamy, when fear and terror stalked the small town and had its origins in the fearsome Lord that gossip would claim was a ruthless vampire who committed untold cruelty whenever he desired it. As a witch, she knew such rumours to be true and she could only watch in horror as Chaol continued his nightmarish reign, conversations with her coven doing very little to form a plan to stop him.

The period of peace during which he settled with Athanasia was... welcome, at first, but she never believed that it would last. A vampire couldn't suddenly abandon his thirst and move on from the hunts that fuelled the animalistic need for bloodshed and violence. Athanasia may have believed that Chaol was more than just a mindless monster, but Francine never did; she always remained on guard, ready to put a stop to him and bring onto herself rumours of being a witch if he ever broke the peace in favour of a return to his cruel ways.

But then... he just disappeared. Athanasia met an unfortunate end and, as news of her death ran through the village, so too did rumour of Chaol's passing. Stories were formed, passed from neighbours and friends, that Chaol had wandered into the sea to his death, unable to live a day without his beloved at his side - and when decades passed without Chaol emerging, Francine had come to believe that he had taken his life; that he had thrown a stake into his own heart and found peace in death, perhaps even reuniting with his lost love in a plane beyond their own.

But... that wasn't the case. No, he was back from wherever he had been for all these years and, worse, he had come to encompass the fear and the cruelty that she knew would present itself in him once again - because who he was with Athanasia wasn't who he was at his core.

To Francine, he was and always would be a monster.

And she had a duty to finally put a stop to him, starting with rescuing Elora from his clutches.

Oblivious to the fact Elora already knew what Chaol was, Francine strode to the door with those good intentions at her heart, knocking firmly and confidently. She remembered having arrived to warn Athanasia in much the same way, only to be told that Chaol was capable of greatness, of change and love and kindness, and that Francine had no need to worry.

She just had to hope that this conversation with Elora would be different.

That she could at least save one woman from his grasp before they succumbed to an untimely death.

• Love
Reactions: LittleRabbit
Of course, Elora was worried about the vampire, though his accusations sent her stammering quickly denying the fact that she was worried about him. "I just don't want to have to clean up your mess Chaol." the woman shot back, though there was no denying the blush on her cheeks as he continued to tease her. "The last thing I want is to hear gossip around town or have cops knocking at my door and you nowhere to be found. Unlike you, I wasn't born with a silver tongue. I can't just talk or flirt my way out of trouble." Huffing, Elora tried to stand firm on her denial.

It must have been…pathetic to see a weak human worried about a creature that was so much stronger than her. Elora was sure he could snap a person in half with a flick of his finger—yet the thought did not put to rest the unease she felt in the pit of her stomach. As though she could feel…could taste something on the wind that just did not feel right. Then again…she had watched countless hours of murder shows before Chaol interrupted her—her unease being placed on that.

Chaol would find the human woman rolling her eyes as he flashed a charming smile—closing the door firmly as to hide her burning face. And much to his relief, he would hear the door click behind him. Elora locking it just as she promised.
Once the vampire walked out into the night, the darkness greeted him as though it was an old friend. Wrapping him in a cloak of secrecy, the wind asking where he had been—what kind of trouble he was about to get himself into. Perhaps the road looked a bit different now, and there were more homes than he last remembered—but the sensation was all the same. The freedom to do what he wanted, not having any obligation to anyone. To be there for anyone or to answer questions he did not want to—well as long as he could free himself from Elora.

For the first time in centuries, Chaol was truly and utterly free.

Elora on the other hand…could feel the isolation slowly creep in. The house became much too quiet—colder than she had once remembered. Leaving her alone with her thoughts, and how most of them seemed to be surrounded by Chaol. He was right in all aspects, she was worried about him. Couldn't shake the sight of him in a suit—looking perfect, beautiful as ever. As though he was Lucifer himself came to drag her into hell…but she wasn't struggling. The woman all too happy to follow the man along.
The night before…when she first had awoken Chaol—Elora did not find herself fighting back as hard as she could. She could have kicked Chaol in the crotch, screamed, and begged for his mercy. She could have turned and ran once she had been freed from his grip the first time.

Yet…she hadn't.

As though talking to this strange man, arguing with him that the home now belonged to her, was the most natural thing to do. Even when he threatened her life, when he drained her of blood, when he bit her…there had been little fight back.

Having time to reflect on that incident, wondering what had come over her—Elora could only figure it was her grief. That last night, she was prepared and willing to die. That if she was to be taken out like some side character in a scary movie—then she wouldn't mind it. After all, she had lost all of her family. Left her psycho of a boyfriend—truthfully running away from him to find some kind of peace. No one in that town knew her name, and the ones that did would give a few good words at her funeral. But they would soon get over her. Elora would be forgotten, and no one would miss her.
Elora didn't have anyone to miss her—so why would she fight so hard to keep this life? Why not just join her parents once again, surely they would be waiting for her…

…Wouldn't they?

A loud groan escaped the woman, as though to clear her mind from such horrible thoughts. Perhaps that was true then…but now she wanted to stay alive. Wanted to fight for her life, just to see how Chaol would manage in this new world. To explore the many different sides of him, to be near his side for however short the time might be. Just for now, perhaps she could keep pushing forward a bit more.

Moving into the kitchen, the woman threw open the freezer to her fridge. Yanking out a tub of ice cream, more the happy to indulge in the treat—even more so if it meant keeping her mind off of Chaol. Throwing herself back into the living room and on the couch, the woman had just gotten comfortable when a knock rapped at her door. She sat frozen for a second, rooted in her spot as the person knocked again…surely it was just Chaol. Perhaps he had forgotten something, or perhaps he decided he didn't actually want to go out that night.

Besides…who else would be so brave to approach the rumored haunted house? No—it had to be Chaol.

Elora couldn't deny the little bit of excitement she felt at the thought of his quick return—to tease him for not being able to stay away from her for so long, hoping to stun him into submission once more.
Sitting her ice cream down, Elora rushed to the door, unlocking it and throwing it open without a moment of hesitation. "Well, well, well, look who came rushing back!" Elora jeered, a smug expression falling to her face—however, it didn't last long when she saw who was standing before her.

The beautiful woman from that afternoon—to say she was shock was an understatement. No…she was far more concerned that this absolute stranger was appearing at her doorstep, knowing damn well that Chaol had not called or texted her his location. Well…perhaps he had told her where he lived—he was quite egotistical, and having people know he was the owner of such a large manor probably thrilled him.

Either way, it did not stop the grimace that appeared on her face. Elora trying to remain friendly despite the unease of the situation. "Fraaaancine." Drawing out the name as though it could ease the tension that floated between the two now. "I'm sorry, I thought you were someone else. Are you alright?" Elora questioned, trying to not outright ask why the hell she was there. "Ah—-sorry you might not remember me. I was with Chaol this afternoon—we met outside the cafe. Umm…did your car break down or something? It's a little…odd that someone is willing to make the track up here…"

In Elora's defense, it was awfully odd—rather suspicious that someone had came to her front door. It wasn't like her house sat by the main road. No one had to walk quite a few miles back before they reached the doors to their house. Hell it was a struggle just to find so someone to give her internet out there.

The cheery tone that emerged from within the property, almost teasing in nature, did set Francine's expression hard, a steeliness residing over her features as she was left unsettled and uneasy at the sound - and more importantly, its implication. She had no proof to suggest that Elora knew what Chaol was, but she had clearly fostered some sort of connection to him when her upbeat tones registered loudly - and her disappointment when she flung the door open to see Francine stood there, rather than the vampire, was palpable.

She hadn't just expected to see Chaol; she longed to see him. The crushing disappointment was obvious and it provoked a tension that Francine took note of within mere seconds of its emergence - but she didn't care to try to alleviate it with polite words and some feigned niceties. No, she would have attempted to gain entrance to the home with false pretences at first to put Elora at ease - she would have flashed a smile, come out with some excuse, before gradually letting her true intentions slip through when Elora had already let her in--

But there was no time for it, not now she knew that Elora had already started to... fall for Chaol. There was no other word for it besides that - like most humans that came into contact with him, she had clearly fallen beneath his spell. Why he had chosen to keep her alive rather than dismiss of her as a nuisance and remove her from his proud home was something Francine didn't quite know, but she wasn't sure she wanted to.

It was safer to presume that Chaol always had bad intentions, some ulterior dark motives, and all she had to focus on was protecting others from falling victim to them. Elora's clear interest in the vampire made her a probably next victim as far as Francine could see - and nobody deserved to follow the fate that had befallen Athanasia.

As such, Francine didn't break into a smile that may have been expected of her and no polite words were offered to try and justify her arrival at the door. She knew it was bewildering for her to arrive unannounced and on foot, having made the trek up from her home in the town, without Chaol having invited her or told Elora to expect her presence at some point in the night - she had arrived on her own accord, determined to spare Elora while she had the chance.

"I remember you. It's hard to forget anyone that arrives alongside Chaol de Villiers," responded Francine slowly, her lips pursed as she darted a glance upwards at the manor looming over her. She could remember being fascinated with the property once, when she first arrived to the village a young witch searching for a place to go; to belong to. It didn't take long for that fascination to turn to fear before settling entirely on disgust when she learnt of the vampire who called it home, her arrival to the town coinciding with Chaol's first days as a new vampire and so, she had to witness the very worst of what the man was capable of as he adjusted to his new life and the intense thirst that came with it.

Sighing out into the night, her breath visible in the chill of the evening air, she set her gaze on Elora. She looked nothing like Athanasia, but she was pretty; beautiful even.

It was clear to see why Chaol would want to keep her alive for awhile; to feed from someone who not only stroked his ego but was easy on the eye.

Her eyes briefly darted to Elora's neck, a shudder running through her at the faint sight of the mark not fully concealed by her collar; a mark that mirrored the one she had chosen to hide from view with a scarf. Ideally, she would use magic to eliminate the blemish from her skin, to rid herself of its unsightly scar and the memories that came with it-- but she couldn't.

She needed to get close to Chaol, to keep him on side so she could take him down - and suspicion would only arise if the scar he had given her vanished completely from view.

"I need to talk to you, without him around. So I walked here. I don't drive," she explained after a further moment of tense, simmering silence, though, realising that she was perhaps unnerving Elora and risked having the door shut in her face, she lowered her voice and offered a genuine smile, rife with sincerity and, admittedly, desperation.

"Elora, isn't it? I'm Francine- Frankie is fine, though, if you'd prefer. I... would really like to talk to you, this is important and... I'd like chat without Chaol. He's gone out for the night, hasn't he? So... this may be the only chance we have to talk alone without him around. Could I-- perhaps come in? It isn't a conversation to have like... this, on the doorstep. What I have to say might-- be a lot to take in."

"Oh—is that a good or bad thing?" Elora questioned slowly, noticing the tension that fell around Francine as she spoke of Chaols 's full name. Honestly—-it had surprised her quite a bit. The vampire…wouldn't convey his full name to some stranger, would he? Not when there were still stories, still rumors of his horrible deeds—though Chaol seemed awfully proud of those stories that still floated around about him. Perhaps he had given this woman his name, after all, Elora wasn't there when they sauntered down the street. There was no telling what they had talked about, what he had said. Perhaps he was playing the ancestor card. Letting people believe he was some distant relation to the Lord who once ruled over this town.

However, there was something in Francis's voice, the way she pursed her lips that had Elora thinking otherwise. As if this stranger had some kind of personal vendetta against the vampire she had just met.

And perhaps she did.

Maybe Chaol didn't glimmer the woman as well as he thought. Perhaps she remembered everything that had happened that afternoon, coming to confront the vampire with her anger. To threaten to expose his secrets or perhaps even end his life that night.
Perhaps she was just delusional. Coming to claim that she and Chaol are in a relationship, or were previously in a relationship and she was going to attempt to scare Elora off.

Yet…those thoughts did not feel quite right either.
There was something off already about this interaction—-Elora could feel it but she couldn't grasp it. As if it was just hanging in the air, taunting her. Not having any concrete form she could grasp or hold onto.
Goosebumps slowly rose on the woman's skin, causing the human to cross her arms, absent-minded to the defensive way it may have come across. However the concern look on Elroa's face after Francine shuttered, her breath catching in the light from the front porch, conflicted with the off-putting movement. Despite the oddness of the situation, Elora found herself concerned about the others well being.

As autumn bore close, the temperature was steadily beginning to drop. Pity swarmed Elora, and she was just about to ask Francine if she wanted to come inside—however, those words died instantly as Francine made a brief look at Elora's neck. Elora quickly uncrossed her arms, slapping a slender hand across the mark. Attempting to shield the bruising Chaol had left on tender skin. Cursing the fact that she hid it better, though—it was possible could play the mark off as a hickey. A one-night stand between her and a man she was supposed to be showing around town.

"You know—it's getting awfully late. I can call you an Uber. Don't worry about paying me back." Elora started as Franice asked to speak to her alone, without Chaol around. Her nerves were already shot from the shows she had been watching, and now learning that this stranger had walked to her house, somehow knew that Chaol wasn't home that night—requesting to talk with Elora alone…no none of it sat well.

Francine was right that Elora had been close to slamming the door in her face. Close to locking it and praying that Chaol would be home soon to deal with this—this stalker. To beg him to never see Francine again after that night. That might have been the smartest thing to do, a wise thing to do—however, Elora was neither of those things.

Instead, her sympathy outweighed the logical answer. The desperation in Francine's words, eyes pleading with a need to speak to her, to discuss some matter that was eating Frankie alive—it killed whatever excuse that Elora was about to come up with. Her mouth opening to only close once more, bowing her head as a deep sigh escaped her lips. A scene the witch had witnessed once before when she came to talk to Athanasia—knowing she had won the interaction this time.
"Look…I told Chaol I wouldn't answer the door for anyone. I will let you talk as long as you are gone before he gets home. Oh—I know how that might sound. I'm not afraid of him or anything. He is just rather dramatic and I'll never hear the end of it."

Looking back up to Frankie with a slight, welcoming smile, Elora stepped aside. Allowing the witch to walk into the vampire's lair—though it was brighter and much more welcoming than one might have expected. Largely due to the fact that Elora placed herself in charge of redecorating the home.
Closing the door, Elora stepped aside, moving towards the kitchen. "Would you like something warm to drink? I have tea and hot chocolate, or I can make you some coffee—whatever you want."

The hesitation from Elora was understandable and frankly, Frankie would have judged her had she flung open the door and welcomed her in without a second's thought. When she was sharing her abode with a vampire, Frankie knew that a stranger was hardly capable of bringing the sort of danger that Chaol was capable of exacting on his victims - but it still paid to be wise, and though Elora eventually agreed to let her in, the fact she had exercised caution rather than naivety was something to praise her for.

Granted, if she had the sort of cold disregard that Chaol possessed for humans, then she could quite easily inhabit the sort of fearsome force that she was here to warn Elora against. Her gifts had never been used to ill-doing or malevolence, the coven she found herself a part of only seeking to blend into society at large and use their spells for good, rather than for the sort of chaos that Chaol seemed to thrive in.

Fortunately for Elora, Frankie wasn't the sort of witch who sought humanity's suffering. If she was, she would gladly turn a blind eye to the vampire's existence and allow him to do whatever he so desired - and it nauseated her that some of her own kind would willingly adopt that behaviour, either taken in by the vampire's innate charm or simply sharing his disregard for the humans that outnumbered them. It would never be Frankie's mindset: she couldn't turn her head and ignore the suffering that Chaol caused, nor the arrogance that fuelled his being, making him believe he was invulnerable and impervious to harm.

Wasn't it about time someone stepped forward to pull him down a few levels?

Remind him that he may be a vampire-- but he wasn't the only inhuman being that called the town their home.

Nodding gratefully, the witch eventually took a step into the home and shook off the cold with a relieved sigh. Her attempt to continue the conversation momentarily stalled as she took in the brightness that now consumed the home, in contrast to the dark, gloomy atmosphere that she had once known it to contain a century prior. She had stood in the very same spot as Athanasia welcomed her in but the decor had been suffocatingly intense - Chaol may have changed his ways with his betrothed at his side, but he hadn't cared to change the interior of the home he loved, gravitating towards the dark and the sombre.

Which was more evidence to suggest to Frankie that, for he best part of a century, Chaol hadn't been in the manor-- or at least, wasn't freely walking amongst its halls because there was no way he would sanction the cosy surroundings, the bright wallpaper, the polished floorboards. It all suggested that they had been altered without his say so, and though Frankie's curiosity remained piqued, her amusement quietly rose at the thought of how Chaol must have reacted to the changes when he eventually discovered them. As childish as it was, she couldn't deny herself the sliver of schadenfreude that surged through her as she imagined his grumpy scowl, sulking around the house in dissatisfaction like a grumpy teenager.

"You know, a hot chocolate would be great," she responded after tearing her attention from the interior decor. She accepted the offer of a drink with genuine enthusiasm, her sweet tooth demanding she get her fix for the day with some rich cocoa, possibly with whipped cream if Elora had that-- but she was quick to correct herself.

This wasn't a visit to a friend where they would catch up on the gossip of the day over a hot drink or two.

This was important - and she doubted she would get a chance to enjoy the drink when she got what she needed to say out.

Following the other through to the kitchen, she set her coat down over the back of the kitchen stool at the island before deciding to press forward, rather than drag the inevitable out for longer than was necessary. She couldn't be sure that Chaol wouldn't make an impromptu return, after all - so with that in mind, Frankie pushed her hair back over her shoulder and set her back straight, regaining her composure and steel.

"He isn't who you think he is. Chaol. He isn't a charming man whose only crime is his arrogance. He is a monster, Elora. I mean that quite literally-- but I suspect I don't need to actually tell you that, if that mark on your neck is anything to go by. So let's dispense with subtlety - he's a vampire and you should pack a bag and leave while you still have breath in your lungs."

Sighing hard after the burst of her speech died down, Frankie cast a glance down the hallway to the front door with a genuine sliver of fear that, somehow, Chaol had returned and had overheard everything-- but the paranoia left her when she realised she was overthinking and so, just as quickly, she returned her eyes imploringly to the human.

"Don't ask me how I know, but I just do. I have known Chaol a long time-- or known of him. Evidently, he doesn't remember me-- again, his arrogance knows no bounds, but I'm not one of those girls he thinks I am. I'm not going to throw a tantrum over that man not remembering me. He isn't my type, he's too... polished. I prefer my men rugged; rough around the edges," she snorted, the moment of amusement undercutting the growing tension and allowing for it to break; for Frankie to offer a more sympathetic smile, rather than the forcefulness of her previously serious expression.

"He will kill you, Elora. Or he will be instrumental in your death, whether he caused it or not. You... seem like a nice girl, you truly do. You can't tell me you're happy to sit back and allow for him to hurt innocent people; to potentially hurt you? No, you know what he is now; you've had his fangs in your neck. You know his strength, his... thirst. So leave. Pack your things, get in your car, and live your life free of that arrogant prick. You deserve better than a life in that bastard's shadow."

The silence that filled the kitchen after the witch's plea was a heavy one. The tension thick as Elora chose to remain silent well after Frankie's plea to pack up and leave. To abandon Chaol and the home she worked so hard to restore. Frankie claiming Chaol to be a horrible monster—amongst other insulting names. As if those awful descriptions of him were something that would make the woman turn tail and run off.
Elora was at least partially aware of the cruelty that Chaol could bring. Aware of how strong he was, how crass and disrespectful—hurtful his words could be. He could snap her in half in a matter of seconds and feel no remorse. Elora understood that tonight he was about to take a life and not give it a second thought—while it most certainly did not settle right with Elora, she understood another part of Chaol. That he wasn't so bloodthirsty monster who couldn't control himself. Perhaps at one time he was—but she was sure that he has moved on from that.

It was hard to tell if Elora had heard anything that Frankie had just told her. The soft clinking of a spoon clinking against glass was the only sound that temporarily broke the silence that followed. With her back turned to the witch, it was even harder to tell what emotion, what thoughts held the woman so captive that she couldn't speak.
Even as she moved to the fridge, pulling out a can of whipped cream, Elora still remained silent. The harsh pressure from the can replacing the clinking.

Turning around Elora finally placed a mug on the counter in front of Frankie. The mug decorated with moons, stars, and constellations, a gold handle adding to the charm of its design. Something that Chaol would never have in his possession, furthering proof of just how long the man had been gone.
Whip cream covered most of the top, along with a soft dusting of the coco power she had used to make the drink.

"I understand your concern." Elora finally acknowledging the witch's concern. "Chaol is arrogant, narcissistic, and even selfish. However, he is also charming and can be caring and rather funny. I've only known him what…" pausing Elora looked at the clock, silence falling as she judged the time before looking back towards Frankie. "A full day now. I know that is much too early to judge someone, to put faith in them that they aren't so horrible—but I can't shake the fact that he isn't the monster you've claimed him to be."

Pausing Elora cocked an eyebrow, glancing the witch up and down—silently judging her, trying to get a read on the woman. "You've claimed to know Chaol for a rather long time. I think it's only fair to ask how you know him. Are you a vampire as well, a werewolf—or a witch? Or perhaps some other mythical creature that Chaol has yet to inform me about? Certainly, you don't know him simply from the stories and rumors on the internet. You have a more personal vendetta against him."

Moving around the island, Elora grabbed another stool, bringing it around so she could sit opposite of Frankie. Curiosity and caution all dancing within her eyes as she tried to figure the woman out. "I assume not a werewolf—Chaol has made clear his deep hatred for them. However, I would find it awfully funny if you were." Chuckling Elora allowed the tension to slowly fade, a slight smile falling to her face as Frankie spoke about her type of man.

Elora assumed her own type was for the polished and rather dramatic type. Though she dared to yet speak that aloud.

"I'm not worried about him killing me Frankie. He has had every chance to do so the last two days and my heart is still beating in my chest. Besides, I have nowhere else to go. I've put up such a fuss over this house being mine, about how much work I have put into it—-I don't plan on leaving any time soon. I understand your concern, Frankie, I really really do. I appreciate the risk you took to come out here, to speak with me.
But I can't—-I won't leave Chaol. I don't agree with his killings, of hurting people. But I am trusting him to make the right choices. I can't explain it, but I just know there are better parts to Chaol, parts that people just seem to look past. And I want to see those parts of him. Even if I end up hurt in the process. You say I deserve a better life. But perhaps this is the life I deserve."

Even if it was clear that Elora had fallen under the spell that Chaol was innately capable of giving off, Frankie held onto the belief that her words would have some sort of effect; that the strength and severity of them would pierce the barrier and make sense.

But Frankie hadn't taken into account just how much Elora knew or how far deep she had already fallen. That became clear when the silence was eventually broken and her words met with a response, albeit one that Frankie couldn't have actually anticipated. She expected Elora to perhaps understand what Chaol was, but she didn't think she knew... as much as she did. That only served to suggest that Chaol had confessed things to her; opened up conversations wrought with sincerity and openness.

Perhaps Frankie ought to be encouraged by the presence of those conversations and believe the impassioned defence that Elora now provided her with. It wasn't too dissimilar from the sort of speech that Athanasia had once provided her with, but the faith the latter woman ahd shown in her then-betrothed had been misplaced, resulting in a death that might not have occurred had she just taken the witch's advice that day and abandoned Chaol. Her death might not have been caused by his hand but he was integral to it regardless, instrumental in the tragedy taken place and the events that chaotically followed.

She didn't want to see the same happen to another woman who had seemingly grown fond of the vampire at the heart of the discussion. However strong and firm the other's opinion was, she had only known him a day, in contrast to the decades that Frankie had known him. The fact Elora was ready to dismiss the word of someone who had witnessed all manner of tragedy exacted by Chaol's own cruel hand in favour of defending him was... bewildering, and for a few seconds, Frankie could do nothing but stare perplexedly at the other woman, struggling to comprehend how she could look her in the eye and take Chaol's side.

A man she had known not even a full two days.

Seeking to distract herself before her words could spiral from her lips without thought behind them, she dipped her finger in the top of the cream, scooping up a dollop and placing it in her mouth, the sweetness a worthy distraction from the simmering anger and disbelief coursing through her. She had arrived to warn a naive woman against her fate yet instead met someone fully informed and subsequently fully in defence of Chaol. How she could defend someone so intent on causing harm, in unleashing hurt and bloodshed, was something Frankie struggled with because to her, it defied all sense and countered her morals--

But she couldn't blame Elora.

No, she blamed Chaol, because in her eyes, he was a manipulator who only used to benefit himself. The likelihood of him growing to care for Elora was slim in her mind, and though the other might not care to take her advice, she could at least do with her protection. She had walked away from Athanasia and been forced to contend with the guilt that came with news of the woman's death.

She wouldn't do that a second time. Whether Elora liked it or not, Francine was determined to be a central figure in her life, protecting her not only from Chaol but from herself.

"I think you're a fool. He's a monster, Elora. But I won't walk away and leave you to discover that because it'll be your funeral-- quite literally. And I don't care to see that happen if I can prevent it. You might not want to leave him, but I won't walk away and let him devour you. If he's capable of change, I want to see it. I want to be present, observing it - and if he isn't, if he's the monster I know him to be, I'll be here to stop him," she murmured sternly, her tone rigid and features unflinching as she nodded firm her intentions. Only when the weight left her chest with her plan spoken out into the universe did she take a sip from the hot chocolate, sighing contentedly as the warmth and comforting taste put her a little at ease.

"I thought he'd died," she confessed after a further moment, shooting the other a glance. "After Athanasia passed -I'm assuming he told you about her- he disappeared and I thought the village's prayers had been answered. People moved into the manor and there were rumours, of course, of noises in the night-- but it's an old house. They make noises and people want to buy into the haunted rumours, right? So it didn't trouble me, I thought he'd died and everything could move on peacefully without him causing misery-- so imagine my horror when I saw him this afternoon, flashing a smile at me as though-- as though nothing had changed."

She sighed heavily, her lips pulled into a disgusted scowl.

"He doesn't recognise me. Didn't even register my name. I've been in this house, I've sat and had tea with Athanasia as he stood in the doorway, listening in. Because that's who he is, Elora - he is arrogant and selfish and cares only for himself. I don't care that he doesn't remember who I am. I care only that he is back here and causing the town I love the sort of nightmares I thought it had been spared. I'm sorry if I'm speaking out of term, given you clearly like him, but he's a fucking asshole."

Frankie had every right to be mad at Elora, every right to be furious that the woman across from her was taking some monster's side. That, despite hearing the nightmares that Chaol had caused, she was willing to defend him. To give the man the benefit of the doubt—as Frankie stared, bewildered at Elora, she couldn't help but feel she was making the wrong choice. Perhaps it would be better to lure the vampire back into his box, to lock him up once again—taking him someplace where he could never be found.

However, just that thought alone made her heart squeeze tightly. Her chest aching at the thought of him being left alone in a dreamless sleep as the world passed him by. If she thought too hard about how he was literally trapped with his emotions after Athanasia's death, dealing with a broken heart with no one to help him. Screaming and begging for someone to set him free only to find silence in return—-it was enough to make her cry. Perhaps Elora was more emotional because the feelings of loss were still raw with her. Perhaps it was the reason she wished to give Chaol the benefit of the doubt, to give him a second chance—or technically third chance at living.

Elora understood Frankie and her position. If she was in Frankie's place, knowing the full extent of Chaol and his cruelty, Elora was sure she would be doing the same. Warning the next person who got too close to the vampire, pleading for them to run away and never return. She would be as angry, as confused as Frankie was right then—though Elora felt she would not have been able to hold her tongue as well as Frankie had. The woman choosing to take a moment to enjoy the cool whip rather than lashing out at her and her stupidity.
Reaching out, Elora tenderly placed a hand on Frankie's free wrist, her head tilting slightly, sincerity and understanding running rampant on her face—in her words.

"I know that isn't the answer you wanted to hear. I know you'd rather me heed your warning and leave tonight. But I just can't, and I'm sorry to disappoint you. I promise your warnings did not fall on deaf ears. Truthfully you had me worried when you knocked on my door. I thought you were going to tell me Chaol and you were dating or you were pregnant with his child—some wild tale to keep me away. I was worried you were a crazy stalker—-I'm glad to see that isn't the case."

Letting go of her wrist, Frankie would find Elora chucking as she called her a fool, claiming that she had been called worse before letting the other woman continue. While Elora felt she wouldn't need Frankie's protection, was sure that Chaol wouldn't hurt her—that she wouldn't get hurt in his presence, Elora refused to speak those thoughts. Clearly, there was some guilt eating away at Frankie—perhaps Athanasia's death affected more people than just Chaol. If Francine believed this to be her new mission in life—to watch the two and make sure Chaol wouldn't go back to his old ways—Elora wasn't about to stop her.

If this somehow gave Frankie closure—who was Elora to try and stop it? To keep it from her?

As long as she did not try to straight up murder Chaol, then Elora could learn to be fine with this unexpected change in events.

"You are right, Chaol can be selfish, extremely cocky even. " Elora hummed, a slight smile teasing at the corner of her lips—pausing for a beat. As if deciding if she wanted to continue with her thoughts.
"However, I am going to play devil's advocate for just a moment here. Clearly, you are not human. If you've seen the things Chaol has done, lived long enough to meet with Athanasia—the one person he has loved with his heart— then you speaking alone with her would cause some worry. In his eyes, I'm sure, he saw you as a danger to his beloved—posing as a threat that could seriously harm her. If the tables were turned and Chaol was speaking to someone you deeply cared about, would you let him do so without being close by? If I had to guess, the answer would be no. And as arrogant as he is, Chaol seemed to have loved that woman just as deeply. Trust me I've known some possessive freaks and that doesn't sound too possessive to me.

Truthfully Chaol hasn't told me a lot about him and Athanasia. I've read some things on the internet, but I can't tell what is true or false. It's still such a tender topic for him, I just…don't want to bring it up and risk upsetting him further."

Chuckling Elora relaxed back into her seat, ready to enjoy a more open conversation with the woman across from her, but that all came to a shattering as the witch spat out a claim even Elora wasn't ready to admit. "What! No, I don't like him!" She scoffed though the heating of her face said otherwise. "I'm just giving him the benefit of the doubt is all! I barely know him anyways. Feelings for someone just don't adapt that quickly!"

Trying as hard as she could to deny it—in the end Elora knew Frankie was right. Elora self-sabotaging in letting feeling develop too quickly. Though she was sure after a week or two those feelings would settle down and pass without a second thought.

Francine hadn't arrived at the manor to receive some sort of well-intentioned advice, or to be posed questions that were designed to have her reevaluate the impression of Chaol she had possessed for well over a century. If anything, perhaps it was arrogance on her own part to assume her words would have the desired effect and send Elora straight upstairs to pack a suitcase, but how could she think any differently when most people would heed her warning and take flight from the home as fast as their legs could carry them?

Who would choose to remain locked in a life with a monster who was capable of tearing them apart, purposefully or even accidentally if he just lost his temper once?

Someone who lacked any real empathy for the humans that surrounded him?

Someone who even now, as they sat over steaming mugs of hot chocolate, was out in town sweet-talking with an inevitable victim to his bloodthirst?

But evidently, whatever the motivation behind her decision, Elora had drawn a conclusion and remained resolute, refusing to heed any of the warnings, though at least she had the good grace to acknowledge them. Frankie would have preferred for her to actually acknowledge the request with action, rather than rejection, but she couldn't force the girl to do as she said - or at least, she didn't want to have to force her. The use of magic for something like that had never appealed to her, even if it would spare someone of their life - removing their agency as an individual, depriving them of the choice to do what they truly wanted (even if it might not be the wisest thing for them) countered every moral belief that Francine held.

No, as easy as it would be to concoct a potion and imbue it with power to encourage Elora to take her leave and abandon Chaol to the solitude of an empty, silent manor, Frankie couldn't live with herself knowing she had clouded someone's mind and reduced them -if only momentarily- to an unthinking, malleable and suggestible robot.

Elora might be making an idiotic decision to align herself to a man who was capable of cruelty and intent on feeding his own desires above all else, but that was ultimately her choice. All Frankie could do was respect it - and wait in the sidelines to interject when it all fell apart.

Because she believed it would. Chaol might have loved Athanasia, but he had reverted immediately to his old ways upon her passing. Her love hadn't changed him; it had momentarily encouraged him to fall in line with her preferences, and when she left the picture, he returned to his instincts; to his true character. Elora was a fool if she thought Chaol was anything more than a selfish monster who satisfied his own needs before anyone else's--

Or so she thought. She was willing to be proven wrong, to have her opinions shift when proof was present to alter them, but somehow, she doubted she would have to ever contend with that.

"If you're going to sit and lie to me, do a better job at it. You clearly like the prick, for whatever reason-- it can't be his personality, he's utterly detestable. That charm of his doesn't appeal to me, it's smarmy and so nauseating that I honestly thought I would vomit all over him when he attempted to flirt with me earlier today. It took everything I had not to laugh in his stupid arrogant face," grunted Frankie with a roll of her eyes, the sharpness of her words and the cutting bitterness of them indicative not of someone uttering such criticisms because she felt she had to voice them, but of someone who genuinely believed in what they were saying.

Evidently, Chaol's charm didn't have an impact on everyone he met.

"He's handsome, but like I said, that isn't my type. The polished look, the perfect hair, the smooth complexion--" She paused to pull a face, before resting her chin in her hand, bright eyes scanning Elora's expression for any sign of a blush to suggest that all those attributes were ones she valued in Chaol; that her mind was currently inundated with images of the vampire's otherwise perfect face; perfect body.

"God, you really fancy him, don't you? That's so predictable; everyone does. Even back when he was the Lord of the town, when there wee rumours about him slaughtering countless villagers, people would gush over how extraordinary he was. That he was born to angels to be granted such 'unfathomable beauty'--" She trailed off once more with another mocking roll of her eyes, recalling the endless compliments she had heard gushed about Chaol making her feel sick all over again - and now he was back, with a modern, updated appearance to go along with it, she knew she would have to endure all of those same gushing remarks once more.

"...He did love her-- Athanasia, I mean," she absently remarked as she took another sip from her mug. "...I'll admit that, his love for her was... true. But it didn't help her, do you see that? His love caused her death, Elora. I don't want you following that same fate. If he grows close to you, if he develops feelings, at least... be smart. Be wary. Exercise caution. Do not throw yourself into his arms because he can tear them from you in an instant. Just-- be careful, that's all I ask. Don't forget what he is. What he is capable of doing."

"I'm not lying!" Elora squawked, though the reddening of her face—trying to cut Frankie off. Only proving to the witch how right she was. Although Frankie was right about Elora having feelings for the vampire—she was wrong about why someone wouldn't find endearment in the arrogant fool that was Chaol. Usually, Elora would have scoffed at someone like Chaol. Label home as a player—a man who got satisfaction out of breaking another person's heart. Totally full of himself—horribly arrogant, believing nothing could or would touch him.

Elora would have avoided him like the plague.

But she couldn't avoid him, and perhaps that is why she was more lenient. Always teasing Chaol, mocking him for his pride every chance she could get. Chaol only instigating it further with each word, every slow draw of breath, every charming smile. Encouraging her to continue with each shocked, playful expression.

It was disgustingly adorable.

And she loved each moment of it.

"You should have laughed at him!" Elora encouraged the other woman, a brighter smile falling to her face. "Do you know how funny that would have been? Chaol would have been so shocked, so confused. It would have been great." Despite how hard Elora had fallen for the vampire, how strong his charm had been on her—it was obvious she too found much enjoyment out of him getting knocked down a peg or two. Going as far to encourage others to turn him down each chance they got—however, it appeared it was too late for Frankie to do such a thing. Chaol already fully believed her to be smitten by him. Frankie just couldn't stop pretending now, could she?

Truthfully the witch was an amazing actress—she even had Elora fooled that she had fallen victim to Chaol.

Elora couldn't help but applaud her on that—those insufferable giggles must have been just as hard on Frankie.

"Are you going to let him keep feeding from you?" Elora questioned, an eyebrow rising, finally managing to take a drink out of her own mug. "He was awfully excited that you gave him your number. He plans to call you, you know. For someone who hates Chaol this much….that was rather great acting. The little heart at the end of your name really sold it."

Elora couldn't look at Frankie when she listed the things about Chaol that she didn't like. It was bazaar how she could adore the darkness that his eyes held, as if they would eat the sun—devouring any light that caught hold. The looming height that literally took your breath away when he stood over you. Chaol using it either for intimidation purpose of a way to get a person's attention. Soft hair that remained so perfect despite how it was pushed or pulled. Of course, those were only the physical features.

She also loved how passionate he was, more so when it came to someone he cherished. Those letters proving just how much he had adored his wife. He was funny, even when he tried not to be. Even if he was rather arrogant, narcissistic to a fault—Elora adored his self-confidence. Assured everything would go how he wanted it one way or another. Confident in his abilities to learn, adapt, and overcome any challenges that came his way. Confident in his abilities to take care of himself…

There were many, many things to love about Chaol that weren't just physical—yet Elora was too scared to say them out loud. Knowing that it would be admitting to her feelings for the vampire—but… maybe… admitting them wouldn't be all that bad.

As Frankie watched her, she would see her face beating once more. Elora using her hot chocolate as a way to hide her flustered face. "He's really cute…" muttering into her cup. "But he is also really funny."

As Frankie warned her about getting closer to Chaol, using the death of Athanasia as an example of what happens when someone lets their guard down. A warning of what Elora's fate would also be if she did not proceed with caution, if she continued to flirt and tease the vampire…a warning she was hearing but would not exactly heed.

"I understand Frankie—-I'll be careful I promise. If anything happens, if I feel I can't trust Chaol anymore, you will be the first person I call." Words coated with reassurance as she leaned back into her seat. "If you would like a ride home, I'd be more than happy to provide you one. I need to run to the convenient store anyways, so really it's not any trouble. Beats being back out in the cold."

Frankie hadn't arrived with the idea of forging any friendship with the other. In fact, she hadn't even considered the possibility that she would end up liking Elora when her entire mind had been so focused on convincing her the danger that Chaol possessed and encouraging her to do whatever was necessary to protect herself from his clutches. Even now, when it was more obvious then ever before that Elora had no intention of abandoning her home (and thus abandoning Chaol), Frankie couldn't help herself but to conjure up another speech to present to the human; something more convincing, more desperate, to convince her to leave and ensure her life could continue without such a threat dangling over it.

Granted, Elora was convinced that such a threat didn't apply to her - but didn't everyone think like that?

Bad things always happened to other people until they actually happened to them personally - and she didn't want Elora to naively be a victim to her own delusion.

But there was only so much Frankie could say or do before her words were a waste of her time and energy. Besides, perhaps a little selfishly, she didn't want to conclude her interaction with Elora on negative footing when the other was... surprisingly sweet. It hadn't even entered her head as an option to forge any sort of connection when she entered the home, let alone when it became clear to her that Elora was so far under Chaol's spell that encouraging her to leave was an exercise in futility, but she couldn't deny that Elora was... enjoyably company.

Possibly entertaining a friendship with her meant having to be in Chaol's life, but that would have happened regardless - if Frankie was keen on ensuring Chaol was limited in his scope of power and the damage he could cause, she would have to be close to him; know his business inside-out and be waiting in the sidelines to disrupt it in any way she could.

It was just a bonus if she could develop a genuine friendship with Elora alongside that plan.

"Oh, it depends on whether I want to keep the facade going. Part of me knows it's smarter to play dumb and keep him oblivious, so I can work to stop his reign of terror before it starts up again and have the upper-hand on that arrogant bastard-- but another part of me wants to wipe that smirk off his face by admitting that all his charming words mean nothing to me. That his handsomeness does nothing to get me going like it does everyone else-- you included, apparently," she broke off with a smirk, unable to help herself once again pointing out the other's bashfulness, her crimson cheeks, her averted, nervous gaze.

If Elora wanted to try and dent the claims that she was steadily falling further and further for the vampire at the centre of their conversation, she was doing an appallingly bad job at it - but if anything, Frankie found it endearing. Would she prefer to be gossiping about a man who wasn't a vicious killer who she had bad blood with? Obviously - but she would take the light-hearted, warm conversation where she could get it.

It had been awhile since she last was able to unwind and enjoy someone's company free of pressure and expectation. She didn't expect to find it in Elora's company, but why deny the ease she felt in her presence, or the instantaneous connection that seemed to have sparked into life?

"I do pride myself on my acting abilities-- but Chaol's rather simple. He thinks he's this intelligent being, but all you have to do is play into that arrogance. Make him think he's got the upper-hand by batting your eyelashes and giggling, and he's none-the-wiser to the fact my heart wasn't racing with delight and my cheeks remained unstained by a blush. Really, why on earth do you fancy him? He's so... obvious," she tutted as if mocking, the shake of her head only undercut by the teasing smile that remained present on her lips. Finishing her cocoa, she sighed contentedly as a little sleepiness made its way through, her eyes darting to the clock to take in the late hour.

"...I could do with a lift, I won't deny that I'm exhausted after the walk up here," she confessed as she reached for her jacket, only to pause and eye Elora. "Chaol has my number, but-- find it and message me. Call me. Whatever. I know you're comfortable with him, that you like him and trust him, but... develop connections outside of him, Elora. Athanasia never did and she was left holed up in this manor without anyone to turn to other than Chaol. Don't make him your entire world like she did-- make other friends, meet other people-- call me and we'll grab coffee sometime or something. Just... live your life; don't let it revolve around him, yeah?"

The thought of having friends outside of Chaol, to talk with others—to do things without the vampire…well it had barely crossed Elora's mind. In her previous relationship, she felt trapped—as though she couldn't do anything, see anyone without her partner attached to her side. He would demand to know who she was with, demand the time she would be back—kept tabs on her at all times if he wasn't around. While on the other hand, he was without rein. Declaring that Elora was much too clingy, to not worry about who he was with or what time he would be back. That she did not have to be with him all the time, as though she was the one with trust issues.
It was a rather—odd relationship now that she looked back on it. She had been so content to listen, to stop going out—being at the beck and call of a man who didn't love her but loved to control her.

Elora lost many friends during that relationship, and she couldn't blame them for leaving—Elora was sure she would have done the same too. However, at Frankie's words, Elora could see herself slipping back into old habits. While she understood Choals' concern—she couldn't simply stay home just because he told her to. Truthfully, she did not want to end up like Athanasia either—it sounded like a very lonely life if she only had Chaol to depend on.

With a slight smile, Elora stood, pushing in her chair before grabbing the mugs and sitting them in the sink. "Okay. Perhaps this weekend we could go out for coffee—that sounds like a lot of fun Frankie. Thank you…really thank you."

Perhaps Frankie's warnings about Chaol had failed to reach Elora, the young woman already seemingly making up her mind. However—it appeared she did intend to listen about not making Chaol her world. As if he was the sun whom she depended on to keep her warm. She knew—-that if he were to leave or kick her out and that warmth was gone, that she would not make it too long on her own.
No—it was best to reach out. To keep making friends and living her life separate from Chaol, just as he was that night.

Grabbing a notepad from the counter, and some tape from a nearby cabinet, Elora wrote a message to Chaol. Explaining that she was taking a friend home and she would be home very soon. Elora couldn't imagine the tizzy the vampire would get himself in if he did not find her in the house. How angry he might be if he thought she was running a muck around town after his warnings.

Besides…it was also the polite thing to do.

"I think that is one of the reasons I find Chaol so funny. Just because of how obvious he. It's rather easy to poke at the man's buttons. Yet…he also has some very good comebacks." Chuckling Elora lead Frankie to the front door, letting her out first before turning and locking her home. Fingers tenderly tapped the note to the wooden frame— just in case Chaol got home before her.
"It's even better now that I know I can stump him with a few flutters of my lashes. I'll have to keep that in mind next time. If that doesn't work I'll have to take acting classes up from you." Chuckling Elora lead Frankie to her car, unlocking it so both girls can climb in.

"Next time you want to visit though—let me know. I can happily come pick you up. Just like I told Chaol tonight, there are a lot of weirdos out and about. I'm sure you can handle yourself just fine—but still." Genuine concern could be heard in the woman's voice—a stern look that did not match such sweet features brewed from her. It was obvious Elora was far more concern with the safety of others than herself.
Then, just like that Elora broke into a slight smile—pulling out of the driveway and taking them back towards town. "Just tell me where to go." It had been a while since Elora had driven at night with someone—the anxiety she usually felt when she was alone no where to be seen.

It was honestly…very exciting to Elora to come across a new friend. Something she had not anticipated in happening, much less with Frankie. The hate…disdain she felt over the woman that afternoon, so angry that Chaol found her so intriguing. It was smothering, the jealously screaming that the woman was just threat over a man Elora had barely come to know. However—with this turn in events, Elora couldn't help but feel ashamed for being that way. Talking to her now—Frankie wasn't a horrible person. She was simply trying to do what she thought right, trying to protect the town and its people from the wolf that walked their streets. Unbeknownst to them just how dangerous this charming stranger was.

It also might have been beneficial to get close to the witch as well. Clearly she had it out for Chaol—and the last thing Elora wanted to see was for that strange man to get hurt once again.

The gratitude shown wasn't subtle and it indicated more strongly than anything ever could that the offer of friendship wasn't one that Elora had been fortunate to receive for a long time - or at the very least, having friends of her own was an experience she hadn't been able to harbour for a while now. It was a thought that not only provoked sympathy in the witch but an understanding; an empathy because she knew better than most just how lonely life could be.

She had had a coven once, back when she first arrived to the village. Familial ties and ancestral bonds had granted her entrance amongst a group of women like her; witches who provided her safety, sanctity, support and protection, all of which meant a lot to someone who had come from a background deprived of such things - but that coven no longer existed, spread far and wide throughout the country itself, torn apart by varying circumstances that had ultimately left Frankie the only surviving and present member.

It didn't concern her that she now resided in the cottage by herself, manouvering through its rooms that had once eben full of joy and laughter but now remained cold in its considerable emptiness - or at least, she told ehrself it didn't concern her. As decades passed, she had gotten used to the quiet, the silence, becoming accustomed to her own schedule and routine rather than one that she had been forced to adhere to when the coven existed at its full strength. Frankly, she didn't miss the rules and the strictness that her life had once encompassed, but she did miss the camaraderie and the friendship; the never-ending knowledge that she had support at her side whenever she needed a shoulder to lean upon.

Now more than ever, she needed that support. With Chaol making a grand return and seemingly destined to fall back into the ways that had once tormented the town she loved so much, she needed someone to help take the pressure off; someone to turn to to fill her time and ensure her entire life didn't become occupied by the pursuit of stopping Chaol's reign of terror, because there would be days when he retreated to the manor and kept to himself - and on those days, Frankie deserved a rest. She didn't want every aspect of her life to be taken up by the vampire; to become obsessed with him as so many others would inevitably be.

She needed a friend and seeing that same desperation in Elora, that similar need for companionship beyond duty and a relationship, something solid and reliable and free of such pressures... Frankie would be lying if she said it didn't make her smile, optimism for a blossoming friendship surging strongly throughout her being.

"The fact you're warning a vampire against the dangers out in this world when he is perhaps the greatest danger of them all is... hilarious, actually. I bet he laughed at that, did he?" She immediately grinned as she tossed her hair over her shoulder to buckle in her seatbelt, her gaze remaining fixed on the other in amusement. It was touching, the care she showed for a man who could easily snap the necks of a room full of people in mere seconds if he desired it, but it did also exemplify the naivety that Elora possessed.

Granted, the naivety was adorable, and though she held doubts over Chaol's intentions towards the human, the fact he took her concern good-naturedly rather than as an insult indicated that he... possibly cared about her in return.

Frankie wasn't sure if she preferred that or not.

Chaol liking Elora meant the other was safe from harm, sure... but it also meant he would get close to her, maybe even seek a relationship with her as he had with Athanasia.

And that had hardly ended well for the Princess

"The worry is sweet, I promise you I'll be okay-- but I'll call you if I need to, how about that?" She offered up with a snort, her gaze drifting back to the scene beyond her car window. "...Take a left here, down this dirt road-- I'm at the cottage at the far end; the one by the big apple trees-- you know an ex of mine planted the seeds that turned into those trees? Decades ago now, obviously. Said it'd be romantic which... I suppose it is," she murmured as she absently cast the trees a look, the apples that shone brightly amongst the leaves, illuminated by the moonlight, momentarily causing her to fall back into her memories, remaining there for a few silent seconds before she shrugged them aside.

"Call me, I mean it," she murmured with a faux sternness, shooting her new friend a playful glare as she eased herself up out of the car. "I intend to have that coffee, Elora-- just don't drag Chaol along with us. I refuse to sit and giggle in that man's company like I'm infatuated with him, it takes too much energy from me."

A slight hum of embarrassment escaped the woman's lips as Frankie now picked on her for warning Chaol of the dangers of society. Though—the young woman couldn't say she found annoyance in the teasing, it was rather…entertaining if she had to be honest. Elora understood there was no need to worry about the vampire and possibly no need to worry about the woman beside her. Yet she couldn't stop those words from blurting out, nor could she stop the concern that rose from the pit of her stomach when she thought about them wondering alone. Thought about anyone wandering alone at night.

"He snorted at me." Elora grumbled, a slight pout falling to her face. As though displeased by his reaction, as if she hadn't been expecting such a thing from the vampire and was sulking from it still. However, that pout quickly left, replaced with a grin of her own amusement. "I suppose it was rather silly to worry about him. Though to be fair he just came out of a coma-like sleep. The world has changed a lot since he's last been awake. I can't even imagine how overwhelming it must be for him. Though, he does seem to be adapting pretty well."

It was hard to hide the fondness in Elora's voice as she talked about the man. And while he still had a lot to learn, Elora was surprised at how well he was adjusting to this new world. Sure there might be some things that startled him, such as the music in the car that day. Yet after a simple explanation, he was well over it. Still, the memory alone was quite hilarious—if Frankie had seen such a thing there was no way she would have let the vampire live it down. Hell—Elora wasn't sure if she would allow Chaol to live it down either.
She did have an Alexa hidden within the house…perhaps she could use that to tease the vampire as well. Pretend as though she didn't hear anything. Chaol would probably be mad when he found out….however, she couldn't help but feel that it would be worth the punishment. Perhaps she would even invite Frankie over to enjoy the amusement.

Elora would have to work on the two getting along. If she spoke about the good things that Chaol had done—what a good person he actually was, perhaps then Frankie would warm up to him. Not see him as the monster she knew he could be.

"Okay…I'll trust in your promise then." Elora hummed as they continued down the road. Once she hit the dirt path the woman slowed, eyeing the trees that were illuminated by her headlights. "That is amazing that he planted so many trees. You could make so many apple pies with those." Elora chuckled. "Perhaps the three of us could go apple picking sometime! Oh, it doesn't have to be at your house, I'm sure there is somewhere else we could go. Or even to a pumpkin patch—I think that would be fun."
Stopping in front of the woman's house, Elora couldn't help but admire the cottage-core vibes it gave off. As though she was a witch living peacefully in the woods—it was all so charming.

Her thoughts quickly derailed as Frankie spoke out once more, turning her attention to the stern gaze the woman had to offer. In return she would find a tender, understanding gaze from Elora nodding her head in agreement. "I promise I'll give you a call if anything happens. And I promise that coffee will be just the two of us. I'll have to find a way to break it to Chaol if he questions where I am going though. He can be very dramatic sometimes." The latter of her statement was much of a tease, as though she was worried that the vampire's feelings would become hurt if he wasn't invited. Though she was sure he would be more than okay with the absence of a silly little human from his home.
"I will see you soon Frankie—have a good night."

Elora sat in the driveway, making sure Frankie got into her house safely before turning around and heading back into town. Despite Chaols warnings, Elora couldn't help but stop at the convenience store for a late-night snack. Icing and gram crackers were calling her name, something extra sweet to fight off her cravings. It wouldn't take long to grab and she was sure that she would be back long before Chaol ever knew she was gone.

If Chaol knew that Elora had left the manor despite his express warning for her not to do such a thing on a night when he was out feeding, he wouldn't be disappointed; he would be furious.

It wasn't an aspect of control nor a desire to exhibit it over her. Frankly, he wouldn't care if she left the house each and every night (though he would worry, it was her life and she could do with it what she wanted) but on the nights when he was prowling the streets, cloaked by the shadows and caught up in his own bloodthirstiness? He didn't want her out there, at risk of crossing his path - not only because the idea of her seeing him in such a way would be unthinkable when his senses did return to him, but also because in such a mindset, he couldn't be sure he wouldn't... attack her.

That the scent of her blood wouldn't fill his nostrils, cloud his mind and send him to her side, tearing into her as though she was little other than a piece of flesh for him to devour. It was safer if she remained in the manor, free of the threat he possessed until he regained his clarity and his calm and returned home - even if he would prefer it for her not to see him entirely until he had cleansed himself of the blood that would inevitably paint his skin.

Unfortunately for Elora, it wasn't a situation that would remain hypothetical, its repercussions merely conjecture and imagined... because Chaol knew she had left the manor.

He knew she wasn't cooped up on the couch at home, bundled beneath a blanket and enjoying her show without interruption.

He knew she was at the convenience store, collecting a few items and deliberately ignoring the single demand he had left her with before he left the manor that night.

How did he know it?

Because he could see her; was watching her as she stood at the till and paid for the few items she had stepped in to purchase

At first, as he drifted from an alley connecting from the bar he had spent the majority of the night in, he stopped dead at its exit at the sight of a familiar car parked up ahead. Initially, the vampire shook his head to himself, reminding himself that there were countless cars just like Elora's on the road and that it was naivety on his part to believe that he could recognise her car when so many others held similar traits, looked the same to his untrained and unaccustomed eye-- but then his eyes drifted to the store beyond it; to the sight of Elora smiling politely to the cashier with items in hand.

At once, without hesitation, he stumbled back into the shadowy safety of the alleyway, concealing himself from view as he contemplated how best to proceed-- and tried valiantly to fight off the wave of stinging, simmering anger that threatened to explode. He wasn't used to his commands being ignored, but especially not when he had voiced those words with genuine concern - and such vulnerability wasn't something he was often that comfortable expressing when it tended to dent his preferred stance as someone unemotional and uncaring. He had broken that to Elora, allowing his sensitivity and sincerity to shine through as he requested she do him the one single favour of remaining at home and keeping out of his sight until he was cleaned up and his senses returned to him.

The fact she had wasted no time at all in disobeying that one request... hurt him. There was anger, disappointment, disbelief... but above all else, there was just hurt.

Because he had opened himself up, allowed himself to express genuine worry and appealed with as much openness as he was willing to give out--

And it wasn't enough.

It had been an... emotionally stressful night even before Elora's presence threw it all into disarray. He had fed and it had been... fine, but he hadn't enjoyed it as much as he wanted to. It wasn't the grand return to the behaviour he had terrorised the town with in previous decades; the sort of behaviour that caused rumours to spread, fear to dominate, eyes to nervously watch him as he wandered through the town as though he owned it. He wanted to return to that, to have his notoriety surge, his name recognised-- but he had hesitated as he fed from a young woman, unable to tear her throat out as he would have done at the height of his power and infamy.

Because he just heard Elora's voice in his head, her face in his thoughts.

Looking at him with fear for the cruelty of his actions; the monstrousness of his appearance.

And he couldn't... go through with the kill after that, unable to resort to the depths he was capable of when he had Elora to live with; to exist alongside. He didn't know what their future held, if they would ever get past the flirtation that currently dominated, but he did know that he couldn't live with her fear of him, her uneasiness or disappointment. A part of him longed to be better for her; to open himself up rather than close himself off. To feed, yes, but... not to kill.

Because, as he had with Athanasia, Elora made him feel like he could be... happy, and part of that happiness came from making her happy in return. And so he had allowed the woman to live, sent her on her way and decided to end his night early so he could return to Elora's side, admit he hadn't resorted to murder and hopefully see her eyes light up in pride and delight--

Instead, he was forced to take in her betrayal and realise that while he was making sacrifices to be better for her, she was ignoring one simple request and disregarding him as a result.

His thumb wiped aside the single drop of blood staining his chin as he finally moved forward towards the car. Despite the intensity of his rage, he managed to move soundlessly and with remarkable composure, slipping into the backseat behind the driver and easing back to await Elora's return. He didn't know what he would say or do when she returned, how his anger would choose to release itself, but he did know one thing.

He was hurt - and when he had sworn that he would never allow any human to hurt him ever again, he felt like a fool for it to happen again so soon after his reemergence into the world.

And for that, he would struggle to forgive her.

Forgive himself.

• I'm SHOOK
It was safe to say that Elora was painfully oblivious to Chaol's presence. The young woman happily handing the money over to the young adult in the convenience store. Pausing for a moment, rushing to the back to grab one more item—apologizing to the cashier before handing over more money. Thankfully she was the only one in line to check out at that very second, the cashier bagging her items before bidding her off with a farewell—Elora happily leaving the store unaware of the storm that awaited her.

It wasn't her intention to hurt Chaol as she was, though it was rather foolish on her part to not head straight home after dropping Frankie off. Foolish of her to believe that Chaol would be too busy, too distracted to even see her out that night should their paths cross. Elora believed that he would be too distracted, too worried about getting his next meal to even bother with her.

The thought of getting caught however did fill her with much guilt—so much so she was sure she would admit to leaving when he returned that night, or at least in the morning. Though she did buy him a peace offering of sorts, a couple of juice boxes to show him just what she had meant the night before. Giving the vampire a clear image of her metaphor—and as Halloween and fall rolled closer she had it bought one called "Vampire Blood" which was just a cherry punch, and another called "Boo-Berry" which was just a simple blueberry flavor. Each box contained a design of the respected creature. Bats and a full moon for the punch and ghost and graveyard for the blueberry.

To deny that she was excited about her findings would have been wrong. The young woman was almost giddy as she thought of what Chaol's expression might be, what he would say when she presented him with the juice boxes. The look of disgust that would no doubt be there, mixed with an amusement that he would deny the whole time. It was a shame he wouldn't be able to taste it, Elora would have found amusement as he found how sugary and artificially sweet the liquids would be. How horrifying it was that they would stain your lips or tongue as if leaving behind some kind of disease.

There was also the fact that she had gained a friend that night. As unusual as it might have been, she could tell Frankie was a good soul. Somehow she would have to tell Chaol about their meeting, perhaps inform him that Frankie wasn't who he thought she was—however, that would be a problem for future Elora, right then she was just eager to go back home and wait for Chaol—for as long as she could anyways.

The last thing on her mind that night was how upset she was about to make him. It was almost pitiful to see how oblivious Elora was to the vampire that had climbed into the back of her car. How horrible it would have been if Chaol was a stranger with evil intentions for the woman—she would have no idea of the danger that lurked so close behind. Elora didn't even bother to check the back seats as she placed her plastic bag on the passenger's side, humming a little tone as she started the car up.

The last thing she wanted to do that night was hurt Chaol in some manner—and she was sure he would have been devastated to find her missing from the house, even with the note attached to the door like it was. The happy look and carefree attitude was quick to shift as she drove home, the woman's hand coming up to bite her nails as dread began to fill her stomach. What if she got home and he was already there? Just how mad was he going to be? Would she be able to talk her way out of it, explain to him the situation? Would her little gift do anything to budge the storm that could be brewing?

There was only one way to find out and ease the dread that was sitting heavy in the pit of her stomach. It wasn't too long of a trip back to their home, after parking the car and turning it off the young woman took a deep breath. Slowly letting it out as she tried to get her nerves to settle. "It will be fine." She muttered to herself, turning to grab the bag that had been sitting in the passengers seat.

It hadn't necessarily been Chaol's choice to sit silently and wordlessly in the backseat as Elora made the journey back home, given doing so was undeniably disconcerting and far creepier than he otherwise intended to be. However, any of the scathing remarks he longed to release from his tongue found themselves suffocated entirely by the weight of his dismay, faltering at the final hurdle and leaving it impossible for the vampire to utter so much as a word when he feared that releasing a single one would just leave him exploding with the rage he felt firing through his veins.

And when Elora was driving a vehicle, it was perhaps best not to distract her in any way and cause her to crash. Doing so would hardly injure Chaol -he would stand and walk from the wreckage without so much as a scratch scarring his perfect complexion- but she was vulnerable - and however hurt he was by her actions, however angered he was at her casual dismissal of how hard it had been for him to be open with his insecurities, he didn't want her to get hurt, especially if it could easily be avoided.

And so he bit his tongue and sat back int the shadows, allowing the journey to proceed without once altering her to his presence. Instead, he let his gaze drift to the outside world beyond the car window; to the stars cluttering the skies above to the twinkling lights of the town below the hill the manor was situated upon. Granted, the sight of the town did little to ease his frustrations when he considered the sacrifice he had made that night for Elora by restraining his natural desires just to prove to her that he could be the man she thought he was: kind, considerate, empathetic.

He had worked hard to cut back his instincts, turn his back on his desire to be the monster he had once been in his younger days and drink in the fear and the notoriety such a label garnered him... and yet all of it seemed to be for nothing if the one person he was motivated to change for didn't care enough to listen to one simple goddamn request.

He could sense her creeping anxiety, the grappling of guilt, the racing heart as the manor came into view - and admittedly, it did satisfy him a little to feel her distress. If she felt guilty, that was at least some confirmation that he was valid to feel the way he felt; that she thought there might be a likelihood that he would be angry if he found out she had turned a blind eye to the simple request he had asked of her. He hoped she also understood that there was pain present amongst that anger too, a hurt that he couldn't even begin to vocalise, but he would find that out soon enough.

He could stay sat in the car, silent and brooding, forever.

Eventually, he had to face her - and hope that he somehow kept himself in control of his instincts as he did so

...That, apparently, was easier said than done.

Sensing her movement, any semblance of control that Chaol had hoped to exhibit came undone. As if a switch had been flicked, he moved swiftly into action by adjusting his position, arriving at the passenger-side seat within a blink or two of the eye, though rather than drink in the inevitable surprise that move would garner, he instead moved forward, ominously closing the distance between them until he was all but looming over her, his already physical presence gaining an intensity in the small space the car provided.

"Did you truly think I would remain oblivious to your disobedience, Elora? That I would arrive home and not realise you had chosen to ignore the one thing I politely asked you to do? Do you care so little for my feelings, disregarding how much it took for me to admit I cared enough about you to want to spare you the sight of me during my feeding session, that you thought nothing of leaving the home and putting it all to risk?" came the vampire's words once they seemingly returned to him, his lips curled in disgust-- exposing the fact that his fangs had now made an appearance, the light hazel of his eyes darkening alongside their emergence until they existed as pools of black, soulless and devoid of any of the light and playful twinkling that usually resided there when he interacted and conversed with Elora.

But this wasn't a moment where they were teasing one another, strengthening a bond.

This was a moment where Chaol had to fight with himself not to tear into her neck and leave her to bleed out in the front seat of her car.

"I wanted to spare you seeing me indulging in the blood of my victim. I wanted to keep you safe, protect the image you had of me. I wanted you to see me as something other than a fucking monster," he hissed, that intention all but thrown to the flames now he had sunk deeper into the monstrousness of his vampirism, a growl breaking threateningly from the base of his throat as dark eyes latched onto hers, the continuous thud of her heartbeat like a siren's call he couldn't continue to fight off for too much longer.

"I didn't kill tonight, do you know that? I purposefully stepped away, decided to come home early to you. I thought you'd be proud of me. I thought... I could be the man you think I am. That I could be the person you seem to believe in-- but if I cannot even trust you to do me one favour, to allow me to protect you from harm-- then why the fuck should I care what you think of me? Maybe I am a monster. Maybe you should be terrified of me," snarled Chaol as he thrust himself forward to close the distance so much so that he was a mere inch or two from her face, a slow, eerie smile now pulled at his lips as he devoured the fear rolling off her, indulging in the sense of power it brought to him.

"...Get out of the car before I lose my last ounce of composure and rip your throat out, Elora. Now."

• Hit Me in My FEELS
Before Chaol had a chance to speak, before Elora could even recognize the face that suddenly appeared before her—a high pitch, blood-curling scream lodged itself from her voice. Her face instantly turning pale as terror ran through every course of her body. A deep fear she had been devoid of back in the basement, back where the fear should have started captured her entire being. As if a nightmare of hers had finally come true.

Pressing herself against the driver's door, Elora tried so hard to process just who was in her car and if she was going to die that night. As she finally registered who it was, a prickle of tears began to form behind her eyes—a flood of relief rushing forward after such an adrenaline-inducing fright—However, before she could get a word in before she could ask how Chaol got into her car the other began talking. Anger, raw and deep seeping through each word, lashing her harshly as he spoke of Elora's betrayal.
"Chaol, I—"Before she could continue the woman was cut off, the hairs on the back of her neck rising, watching as the hazel in the vampire's eyes all but disappeared. Leaving behind a man she didn't know, that she was actually becoming scared of.

That fear was ever present from how hard her heart was beating. Roaring within the car, the scent of fear filling the vehicle until no other scent remained. The pressure and looming dominance Chaol held was breathtaking—and not in a good way. More in an oppressed 'I'm about ready to die' kind of way. Her breath arriving from her chest then the bit of her stomach, hard, heavy. As though she couldn't do anything to catch it.

Was…was this what Frankie was trying to warn her about? Was this the Chaol that she had known when he once ruled over the town—-it couldn't be…right? This wasn't the Chaol Elora had been introduced to, the one that had been teasing and flirting with that day.

Truthfully Elora couldn't blame him for being mad at her, she had no right to. Chaol had asked her to do one very simple thing and that was to stay home that night. To pull the curtains and not open the door for anyone—yet she had ignored all of that. She had let Frankie into their home, had talked with the woman, and drove her home. Elora should have gone right back home, could have possibly avoided this outcome yet she hadn't. She made a detour one she knew Chaol would be mad about if she was caught—-and while she was prepared to handle his anger she did not expect him to be…this upset.This hurt over her leaving.
Nor did she realize just how much it took out of the vampire to speak his concern, how much courage and compassion he had to muster up to tell her of his worries. How much trust she had broken in a few seconds.

It had hurt Elora deeply knowing that she had caused Chaol so much strife. To be the cause of his pain and broken trust, to make him feel like he had to be a monster just to get his feelings across. Something Elora had tried to avoid since awakening him. Even as he inched forward, a disturbing smile now resting on the man's face, he would find a mix of fear and extreme guilt on the human he looked over. Eyes becoming misty just as the bridge of her nose became red—as though she was about to cry but was holding it back.

Beside—it wouldn't be right for her to do so at that moment. To take the situation and make it about herself when Chaol was desperately trying to communicate his own pain of being ignored.

After the lashing Chaol gave to her, threatening to rip her throat out if she did not leave the car, he would find the young woman staring at him wide eyed. Brows furrowed in a way he had yet to see. The fear and sorrow she felt for disappointing him so harshly, struggling to find a solution to mend the current situation.

Elora had to look away from Chaol in order to steady herself. A shaky breath tickled Chaols face with how close he was, Elora's left hand moving back to find the door handle. "Cha-" a break in voice caused her to pause, her face scrunching before trying once more. This time her voice lower, hardly above a whisper. "I'm really….I'm sorry. I didn't mean…I just…" struggling Elora closed her eyes tightly, biting a quivering lip. "I'm sorry." She muttered once more before opening the car door. Turning her back to the vampire she climbed out and began to head to the front door, shaky hands struggling to grab the right key to unlock the door. Pausing for a moment Elora ripped her note off the door, stuffing it into the plastic bag that was held tightly in her left hand.

There was so many things she wanted to tell Chaol, she wanted to let him know that she never thought of him as a monster. That she was so very proud of him for walking away and not killing away. That she would have been tickled that he had came back early to spend the rest of the night with her. That she never was terrified nor wanted to be terrified of him, yet she couldn't make those words come out. If she tried, forced herself to speak she was sure it would end in nothing but a sob.

The overwhelming fear that rolled from her in waves was intoxicating, playing into the predator instincts that a vampire like Chaol possessed. Under other circumstances, when his senses and his mind his own, Chaol wouldn't have ever derived any pleasure from seeing Elora so captured by her terror-- particularly if he realised he was the one caused it to exist in her. With clarity of mind, he would have been appalled by the behaviour he was displaying to someone he had come to care about; someone who provoked in him the same feelings that Athanasia had encouraged to the surface.

He wasn't a romantic, but he had felt struck by the immediacy of the longing he felt for Athanasia when their eyes met; the pull of his heart to her own as the world felt as though it was slowing down around them the longer the eye contact remained in place. His meeting with Elora hadn't exactly been quite as romantic as that, instead dominated by anger and a distinct confusion over how long he had been stuck away from a world that moved on without him, but that didn't mean those feelings didn't eventually dissipate, replaced instead with the same pull, the same desirous yearning, that he had felt for the Princess decades prior.

He knew in his unbeating heart that this was a second chance at love, at fulfillment and companionship-- or at least, he had reached that conclusion before Elora's betrayal abruptly shifted his reasoning. He had left town that night with the impression that he was better than the wildness of his youth; that the man he felt he could be when he was with Athanasia was the man he wanted to be now for Elora. He was ready and willing to take the leap and grasp the second chance with both hands - to learn from past mistakes and make sure that this time around, he didn't lose his partner; didn't allow anyone to interfere with his relationship and leave him alone once again, cut off from the world.

No, he had been quietly... confident that this time would be different; that this time, he could not only have a chance at love but wouldn't be robbed of it, seeing it cut short far too soon and the woman he loved torn from his embrace before her time.

And now? Now he felt foolish for holding such naive ideas.

Because he wasn't a man; he was a vampire, a monster - and Elora's fear of him, her widened eyes, beating heart, pale features contorted by dread? It all stood as evidence to remind him of their intrinsic differences, their stark contrasts.

And the fact he was taking delight in her fear was further proof of that - because right now, he wasn't the Chaol she had grown to know.

He was that monster he told her he could become; the vicious, unfeeling predator who sought only his own selfish gratification... and though he had tried to fight against falling into that mindset, he was failing by the second, falling deeper into the depths the longer he soaked in Elora's fear. The longer he heard her heart race, imagined the pump of the muscle as it encouraged her blood along--

...It was all too much to take, the pounding in his head that came from continually fighting off his instincts, trying to cling to some semblance of humanity and normalcy in her presence, becoming too cacophonous for him to endure.

Wasn't it... simpler to cave in? To restore peace to his mind, even if it meant sinking to the depths of his depravity and embracing the sort of monstrous nature that he had fought to spare her from witnessing?

Hadn't she brought it on herself by refusing to listen to him?

The exit from the car was as silent as his initial arrival into it, even if he had no real need to exercise that stealthiness now. Elora knew he was here, following her into the manor, but he didn't want her to hear him; didn't want her to brace herself for the approach. As a result, he waited until he had stepped foot into the grand hall before slamming the door shut behind him, a sigh escaping his lips as he chose to cruelly bask in the fear that spiked in her as a result of the unnecessary roughness of the act.

"...Oh, am I scaring you, Elora? Of course I am, look at you. Shaking like a leaf, colour drained from your face, heart racing... and yet you still don't think I'm a monster? You will still stand there like a fool and claim I have good in me? That I am misunderstood?" He taunted, a laughter bursting from him in mockery of the defence she had consistently provided; the faith she seemed to possess in him despite having no justification to feel it as strongly as she did.

His hand came to reside at the side of her neck-- though it eventually formed a position around her throat, a pressure added that hinted at his ability to crush her windpipe if he so desired to.

"I can feel your heartbeat beneath my fingers, do you understand how... intoxicating it is? How I long to silence it; to drown in your blood?" He whispered under his breath, voice husky in tone as a result of the deeper nature now coming to coat it. Another breathy sigh escaped him as he shut his eye for a moment, drinking in the continuous, rhythmic thump of her heartbeat as though it was some melody to his ear.

The light shone eerily over his face as he smiled once again, the sharp point of his extended canines glinting dangerously as he brought his lips to her neck, hesitating just above a throbbing vein to take in her anticipation; her dread.

"...Do you deny me a taste? Are you going to beg me to show mercy? To spare you pain? Or do you accept your fate; how... powerless you are compared to me? How puny you are in my grasp?"