Remind Me of the Heart(LittleRabbitXPotassiumboron)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
"No, no of course not!" Elora chimed between giggles as the vampire asked if she was mocking him. Certainly, it was a lie as she quickly scuffed, as if astonished that he would even question if she was. Thankfully the spite had long left his voice. Broken by the smile that fell to his face, dimples bringing forth just how hard he was smiling, enjoying himself. Chaol's tone much more playful. Simply mocking her now for enjoying herself. Even as he shook his head, speaking as though he was trying to make her feel bad for laughing, it all fell short.

The tension in the air faded as it thought it was nothing but a passing cloud. Once there but quickly forgotten.

"I never said I was a good teacher Chaol. You are the one that placed that responsibility on me. I am simply trying my best, even though I am ill-prepared for this job."

Once more her words came out teasing, light-hearted. Playful.

A content sigh escaping her lips, taking a refreshing breath as she placed the car back into start and pulled back onto the road. "I am sure music would have made traveling more fun too. Maybe safer as well." Elora hummed. The tension leaving her body as she eased back into the seat. No longer was her jaw tense, no more were her shoulders tight. No. Once more everything fell back into its rightful place.

As unnatural as it was.

With her hand, the woman tapped a button on the screen, different sounds, different voices blending and blurring until she finally came to a stop. A string of violins, flutes, drums began playing. An orchestra of sound Chaol may have been more familiar with. The woman playing into his needs, wanting him to be at least somewhat comfortable as they drove. Perhaps even soothe his nerves after the fright he was given.

"I could have been worse. I could have denied that I hear anything at all. Play music in the house and act like it was all in your head." Elora teased, casting a glance at the man for a mere second. "But I'm not that mean of a teacher."

As Chaol spoke of how he had embarrassed himself, made a fool of himself from the startled way he reacted—he would find that woman chucking at the memory, nodding her head in agreement. "That wasn't the best I've seen of you thus far. But it was really funny. I apologize for laughing, but I couldn't help it. You were just so scared."

As they traveled down the road they began to leave the trees and wildlife behind. More houses began to spring up, ones that had once not been there when Chaol was free. The road was more pleasant than the dirt road that had once been rough and bumpy. Elora traveling with the slightest of ease, seeming to pay no mind to the cars on her other side that sped by.

Then all at once they were in the town he had once known. Though the shops and taverns he had once remembered no long belonged there. Replaced with modern, cleaner-looking buildings. Concert sidewalks full of people going about their day, paying the two no mind as Elora pulled into a parking spot on the side. "I'm not sure if you are ready for a larger shopping center. I figure maybe this would be the best place to start before we make our way into the city." Elora hummed, smiling at the man as a blonde eyebrow rose. "Baby steps." Flashing a smile the woman turned to the back seat, plucking her purse out before opening her door to climb out of the car.

Rushing to the passenger side, Elora opened Chaols door as well, perhaps not trusting him to do it himself. At least not yet anyways.

As the laughter died down and the calming orchestral music proceeded to fill the otherwise comfortable silence in the car, Chaol was left to divert his attention to the scene unfolding beyond the window. Though his mind was contemplating the sharp shift in atmosphere between him and Elora and how it directly countered his desire to keep her at an arms' length, just so he could ensure he didn't allow a connection to foster, all those thoughts gradually slipped from the forefront of his mind, his brain instead lit with the realisation that... so much had changed in the town he once knew every single corner of.

Back then, it had been a bustling village, every cobbled stone in the road and odd-coloured brick in the wall being a detail that Chaol's mind had digested and banked as he wandered its quaint streets seeking out a meal - and inevitably allowing a smug smile to rest on his lips as he watched how those around him reacted to his presence, either lured in by his innate charm or unsettled by the rumours that swirled around him; rumours his dark countenance and pale complexion did little to dispel.

And now, it had all... changed, far beyond anything he could have ever envisioned. Gone were the characterful buildings with their old-fashioned charm, replaced with modern buildings that were insultingly bland in design and construction. He had never felt particularly fond of the village, seeing no need to develop any love for its businesses when he had never had any need to be their customer-- but it was true that one never truly knew what they had until it was gone.

As Chaol now realised as he felt a flicker of dismay at the old village he had once known now an entirely new place altogether, differing so drastically that it all became too overwhelming for him to properly digest.

It left him sat in the car, bewildered and overwhelmed, barely acknowledging that Elora had opened the door for him until a light breeze drifted in. Only then did his head shift, his eyes looking her way without really seeing her-- before he blinked, a little clarity seeming to return to him as he broke from the daze that had momentarily held him captive to his thoughts. To his... strange sense of mourning when he had never truly appreciated what he had now lost when he had the chance.

The only positive he could glean was the crowds of people bustling down the sidewalk, taking in the day of sunshine with bright smiles and chattering. His village had been a thriving community but still not quite as populated as other neighbouring towns had been - but that had apparently changed in the decades that followed, with the amount of people now rushing about providing Chaol with a plethora of options to quell his bloodlust, certainly far more options than had been open to him years in the past.

Every cloud had its silver lining, after all.

"Baby steps. What an odd phrase." Chaol muttered as he moved to join her out on the pavement-- only to be brutally and abruptly stopped by the seatbelt, his body jerking against its hold as it locked at the sudden movement. Grimacing in annoyance -both at the discomfort and the fact he was likely to be laughed at once again- Chaol attempted to rip the seatbelt from him, albeit limiting his strength so he didn't tear it apart completely. When that failed to do the trick, he tugged with more desperation present at the fabric, repeating the motion until finally, with a defeated sigh, he glanced appealingly up at Elora, irked that he had to turn to her like a child seeking help but, without physically ripping the belt apart, what choice did he have?

"Help me out of this thing, would you? And no teasing, I-- really have had quite the dreadful morning and the less you mock me for it, the happier I will be - and I assume you'd like me to remain in this upbeat mood, wouldn't you? Lest I follow you about, glaring sullenly, like a moody teenager."

The adjustment to this new world would be rather…hard. Mentally and emotionally exhausting.

No longer did the sound, sight, or smell of horses fill the air. No more were the cobble streets the vampire had come to know and love. Women walked freely without men, some bearing more skin than others. He could see some people with unnaturally colored hair. Hues of pinks, purples, blues. Men no longer dressed in their polished suits or wore work clothes. Instead, he would find most men were dressed as Chaol was currently. In tee-shirts and jeans. Or they would be running by in sweatpants, shorts—with no shits on.

Honestly, it was like humanity had forgotten to be modest. Hell, if he had not looked so uncomfortablewith Elora's outfit that morning, she could have very well left the house shamelessly. A harlot attracting the wrong kind of attention, the wrong men might have come flocking to her side.

Honestly, she should be thanking him for saving her from such embarrassment.

Though…was it embarrassing when it seemed like was a normal thing in society now? Was he going to have to teach her a more sophisticated way of living? To turn heads without revealing too much? To shield the woman from societies unfavorable direction it was heading in.

Or was he going to have to adjust? Blend in more with its norms and customs?

Perhaps only time will tell what outcome would lie ahead for the two.

As Elora waited for Choal to get out of the car, the smile slowly began to fall from her face. She could see the hesitation all of the man. Could sense the distress he found himself in, the woman regretting the fact that she had forced him to come out with her. Perhaps it would have been wiser, easier for Chaol if she had kept him home. Shown him the tv, showed him the modern advancements of humankind through a computer. Allowed him to have more time to digest this new world before thrusting him into it.
He was overwhelmed, extremely so.

"Chaol…you alright?"

The question fell with concern. Gentle, soft…as not wanting to upset him further than he already was. "We can go back home. This might have been a mistake." However, before she could say more, the man moved to get out of the car. Perhaps if he had been in a carriage, unstrapped and free to move, then his exit would have been elegant. Demanding. Meaningful.

However, this was not the case.

Instead, Chaol found himself thrusted back into the seat. Struggling with the belt as he tried to free himself. When he turned to look at Elora the woman had a hand covering her mouth, though the crinkling of her eyes was a dead give away she was laughing once more.

Truthfully it was a pathetic sight. Seeing this big, scary, looming vampire thwarted at each and every turn by modern technology. It was downright adorable. Those actions, his expressions, it all revoked his intimidating demeanor.
Despite Chaol's claims he could find some other human to do her job, find someone better to teach him—Elora was beginning to find that untrue. She was unsure who could put up with him, who would keep their lives after laughing at him without restraint.

Still, while it was a nice thought, Elora had to remind herself it was only that. A thought.

Taking a few moments to compose herself, Elora pulled her slender hand from her mouth. "Of course, of course. We wouldn't want you to be any more moodier than you already are, now would we?" With a playful roll of her eyes, Elora moved to lean over his lap in the car. Her hair brushing against him in the slightest of ways. Her scent filling his nose once more, though there was the faintest hint of strawberries that lingered on her. The warmth of her body radiating on top of him as she moved, thinking nothing of how close she was to him. How intimate that moment could have seemed.

"So if you want to unlatch your seat belt, you will want to click this red button." With a small click, the vampire would find the seatbelt loosen, pulling back and letting him move freely once more. "Be careful not to get it caught on yourself. I've tried getting out too fast one too many times and ended up tripping and face-planting to the ground…" Elora paused having moved slightly out of the car, her face a tad bit too close to his own. "Though I was often drunk when those moments occurred." With a grin Elora fully pulled herself away from the vampire, waiting for him to join her outside.

"Listen, if you get overwhelmed—just let me know. We can go home or find someplace quiet to move to for a while. I did not realize how overstimulating this could be, so I deeply apologize. I'm sure it's not easy to be somewhere that is so familiar but different at the same time."

With a sympathetic smile, she turned her gaze upwards to look at the shops that surrounded them. "Everything is pretty much within walking distance. Where would you like to begin first? We can get your hair cut, find you some new clothing…perhaps some new shoes too."

The gentleness of her enquiry, seemingly born from a place of genuine concern and even regret that she had inadvertently placed him in such an overwhelming position, did break Chaol out of his frustration. As keen as he was on tearing the seatbelt from its hold just to free himself of its confines, he resisted the urge - and ultimately became distracted by Elora's tenderness. There was humour undeniable in her expression, in her voice, but it didn't distract from the sympathy that her blue eyes deeply displayed; the desire to come to his aid.

To spare him from the ocean he felt he was at risk of drowning within by extending to him a hand, tugging him from the waves before they could wash over him, enveloping him beneath their hold.

He didn't want to be in a position of vulnerability, it had never been preferable to him when his strength came from his solitude, but he couldn't sit back and wave off her attempts when he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that he needed them. The longer he remained fixed to the seat, the more similar it became to the chest that he feared would only become his tomb as decades passed with no indication of its lid being lifted and freedom once again being gifted to him. There was a marked difference, of course - locked to the seat in the car, he could still take in the world around him and still feel the breeze on his face in contrast to the dark, airless space that the chest had been.

But it didn't stop his anxiety from rising; from the claustrophobia to come rushing back to him as he found himself incapable of moving of his own freewill.

After decades stuck in one position, in the dark with movements restricted, it was understandable that the vampire renowned for his fearlessness became... uneasy, the tendrils of unmistakeable concern starting to creep up within him.

Fortunately, another distraction arrived to capture his attention... even if he wasn't entirely thrilled by just how easy he came to fall for it. It wasn't ideal to be captured so effortlessly by Elora's presence as she leaned over him to free him from the seatbelt's ties around him, especially when he had made an effort to convince himself that she was nothing more than a measly human who meant absolutely nothing to a great vampire like himself, other than her ability to sustain his hunger-- but still his eyes fell on her as she pressed close, drinking in the lingering smile on her lips and -to his dismay- even dipping to her chest, her hips, to digest the curvature of her body now it held some proximity to his own.

And then there was that scent: intoxicating and tempting, he clenched his jaw shut tightly to prevent the extension of his fangs from being witnessed, finding himself fearful that she would think he was preparing himself to attack her. Ultimately, he shouldn't have cared if he did cause that fear in her when he often found a human's terror just as enticing as their blood staining his lips... but, instinctively, Chaol sought to hide the vampiric signs from her eyes, so the easy atmosphere between them, an atmosphere lacking the tension that had caused his guilt to spiral, to remain present and thriving.

It was all evidence that suggested he had failed; that his endeavour to keep Elora at an arms' length had come crashing down, a conneciton undeniably beginning to form between them as their interactions proceeded to flourish rather than deterioriate, and Chaol wanted to curse himself alud for his weakness, blaming it all on generations spent locked away.

But that was an easy excuse. He wasn't falling for the women that passed the car in the same manner as he was for Elora. They didn't grab his attention, leave him staring in attraction and desire, the way she did.

But he didn't want to contemplate why Elora was an exception, the vampire suddenly wary that he might not take too kindly to the obvious truth of the answer when it countered everything he tried to delude himself into believing.

"A hair cut first. My hair as it currently is is annoying and I can't bear to deal with it a second longer," he declared as, with great satisfaction, he stood from the car, sweeping a hand down the t-shirt to free it of the wrinkles it had gained during the journey-- and as a result of his desperate efforts to escape the seatbelt. Collecting himself and returning as much suave composure as he could after such an embarrassing incident (yet another one Elora had witnessed), he turned his eyes to the skies above, finding great pleasure in the sun beating down on him after over a lifetime being deprived of such a simple joy.

With his fangs retracted now he had cleared his mind and freed himself of Elora's proximity, he shot her a smile in reassurance, unwilling to deal with her words of reassurance-- they were sweet, sickeningly so, and he feared that they would only draw him closer to her if he had to hear her utter them more than she already had.

It didn't stop him from suddenly reaching to take her arm in his hand, as though fearful she would wander off into the crowd and leave him stranded alone. Overwhelmed.

The grip wasn't dissimilar to the one he placed upon her during their initial meeting, albeit this time lacking the harsh strength that he had carelessly placed on her during that time. He had much more strength flowing in his veins now, however, so the gentleness of the grasp now displayed meant that he was making an effort to restrain his inhuman power; an effort to ensure he didn't bruise or harm her as he had done when they first locked eyes.

"You will stay with me, won't you? I remember this town, every avenue and corner, but it... is difficult to fully recall the details when so much has shifted; altered. And these people, Elora, there are so many of them-- not to unnerve you, but I fear I may commit a massacre if they proceed to irk me with their incessant mundane chatter, so-- so stay at my side, would you? It is better for us both if we remain... together to navigate these streets."

As the vampire climbed out of the car, brushing his hands down his shirt—smoothing it out from their short trip, he would find some people were beginning to cast glances in their direction. At one time Chaol had recognized those glances were ones of fear, worried that they would be the next victim to the vampires cursed. Afraid that they or a loved one would become the next missing person in that town.

However, times had changed. No longer were the people that were once afraid of him still alive. No more did he cause terror to flow down the streets like an unforgiving river. Instead, he was piquing the curiosity of the passerby's. Their gaze already pulled in by his unearthly beauty, the proud confident way he held himself.

Already it seemed the public was becoming enticed by him.

A sudden, firm grip soon brought Elora's attention back to the vampire at her side. Curiosity dancing in her eyes, wondering if he was simply going to threaten her again, to remind her to keep silent about what he truly was. Or perhaps he was getting ready to attack another poor soul, despite saying he wanted to get his hair cut first, perhaps his need to drink—to consume blood was much heavier then his need for a trim.

However, what came from his mouth shocked her. Warmed her even more to his presence. The vampire was nervous. Despite how calm he tried to remain. Despite how confident he seemed, the man was obviously overwhelmed. Clearly understanding he was in over his head should he try and maneuver these streets alone. Hiding behind the woes of murdering the public should they annoy him, as if that and that alone would cause the woman to stay at his side.

Once more that sympathetic look filled her face. Warming her expression as she tenderly pulled her arm away from Chaols grasp. Her hand moving to collapse his in a firmer, reassuring grip. Her hands smooth, perhaps just a smidge cold despite being in the warm sun. Her voice tender, full of understanding with each word she spoke. "Don't worry. I won't go anywhere you can't see. If for some reason I'm out of your line of sight, all you have to do is call my name and I'll return instantly."

A promise, a vow to stay at the man's side through such a troubling time.

There was no ridicule, no laughter that followed her statement. Just a simple promise that she would be there for him, to guide him for the streets until he became familiar with them once more.

With the slightest of ease, no hesitation whatsoever, Elora had grasped onto the man's hand, keeping him at her side as they stepped onto the sidewalk.

Just as Athanasia had long ago.

While there were many out, they thankfully were able to begin their journey without people bumping into them. Without brushing shoulders or struggling to get past them.

With confidence the woman lead Chaol down its gray pavement, coming to a brick building with ivy growing around it.

"Now they will be playing music too. So if you hear any more voices—it's simply that." With a playful glance and a chuckle, Elora gave his hand a reassuring squeeze before opening the door. A bell chiming to announce their arrival.

Upon entering the building Chaol would be assaulted by several smells of bleach—dye and many other odd products. Distant chatter and laughter wafted from the back of the store.

Moving to the counter Elora greeted a woman at the front desk with a cheerful hello.

"Hey darling, what can we do for you today?"

"My friend here requires a haircut cut." Elora started nodding to Chaol beside her. "He wants it cut shorter…a modern trim," Elora explained as though a bit unsure of just how to explain what Chaol wanted.

Casting dark eyes to the vampire, the woman gave him a once-over. Her eyebrows rose in moderate shock at the looming vampire. Though that looked softened as she eyed the twos hands that were collapsed together.

"Of course, of course. If you want to follow me to the back we can get started." This time as the woman spoke she looked direction at Chaol.

Turning to him, Elora gave yet another reassuring smile. Slowly pulling her hand away from his. "Alright, I'll still be in the building just in the waiting area. Just in earshot alright? You go get your hair cut. "

The new woman, much older than Elora walked Chaol into the back, moving to a black seat by the window of the shop. Gently patting it as she told him to take a seat. "So, tell me what you want." She said spinning him around so he could see himself in the mirror, gently untangling his hair from the tie Elora had placed in.

"How short are we going, hun? Your girlfriend said something about modern. Do you want an under-buzz cut?"

• Sweet
Reactions: potassiumboron
Chaol wasn't oblivious to the glances that were offered in his direction, nor was he naive to the expressions that those glances formed a part of. While a part of him would be stupid not to take into account the ease he would have when it came to feeding, Chaol struggled to be entirely satisfied with the reaction he was receiving. It stroked his already raging ego, of course, satisfying the narcissistic desire to be looked upon with desire - and he was undeniably amused by the fact he continued to drink in those desiring looks despite having been locked away for entire generations and not looking at his best as a result.

If this was the reception he was receiving now, he couldn't fathom how magnified it would be when his hair was perfectly styled; when he wore clothing that fit his body; that made him feel confident.

Yet, while he would have ordinarily showered himself in self-praise as he emerged down the street, drinking in the looks that came his way, no such response could be found in the vampire as he instead maintained a brisk walk alongside Elora without caring to divert his attention to the longing gazes that would normally be hungrily devoured by a man as egotistical as Chaol proudly claimed himself to be.

No, he couldn't focus on that, nor even delight himself with the thought of spreading fear amongst the faces currently innocent in their longing, when Elora's hand had been placed into his own, her fingers entwined with his in a show of support and reassurance. He was tempted to tug his hand away when the motion was first made, to brush off her kind attempt to ease his growing anxiety because he feared it would be too much for him to contend with; another problem thrown into the mix that complicated his return to the world from beyond the prison he had been contained within.

Because it wasn't quite as easy for him to wander down the street, hand-in-hand with Elora; not when the image was a mirror of the time he had spent with Athanasia doing such a thing. Guilt reawakened in him as though he was committing some horrendous act against his lost love; as though just holding the hands of a woman who sought to comfort him somehow dented the love he had shared with Athanasia. For that to be the case, of course, he had to admit that feelings were burgeoning for Elora and that their current proximity wasn't entirely... devoid of a weighted emotion, at least on his part.

And if that was true, then he couldn't just hold her hand and not... overthink its potential gravity, and the consequences, the aftermath, that would arise from it as a result. He felt... uneasy at the thought of moving on from Athanasia, at potentially endangering Elora as he had the lost Princess, at simply... opening himself up to heartbreak if things ended the same way for Elora as they had for the vampire's last love.

...But, selfishly perhaps, he couldn't tear his hand from Elora's, nor his attention from drifting down to her as they strolled. It might be reckless for him to even consider accepting that emotions were present, that his feelings for the woman existed-- but the vampire was always prone to selfish ideals.

Why would he deprive himself of something that brought him joy?

It was why he trusted her to lead him into the hairdresser's; why he trusted her to hand him over to the hairdresser without offering any criticism or voice any trepidations.

Elora... was someone he felt he could trust, however quickly that trust had inexplicably been formed.

If she told him he would be okay, if she promised him that she would be present, then... then he trusted her.

Meeting the hairdresser's eyes in the mirror, Chaol couldn't hide a smirk at the reference to Elora as his girlfriend. Granted, he was irritated that he was becoming prone to smiling when it dented his preferred stoicism, but he blamed Elora for that - albeit without any real malice at its heart.

"...An under buzz-cut-- oh, yes, that sounds fine," he eventually replied, deciding that it would be best to sound as though he understood what was being recommended to him, rather than stare quizzically up at the woman and demand she elaborate. As long as his hairstyle was somewhat modern, as long as it suited him... he could deal with whatever the outcome of the cut was.

Besides, he didn't doubt that any hairstyle would suit him. As cocky as it was, he knew he could pull off whatever look he left the chair with.

Like Elora said, all he really needed to do to win most women and men over was to flash a grin in their direction.

Arrogantly, Chaol knew that to be the truth - particularly when he had experience to back it up.

"I trust in your skills, so whatever you think would suit me best, then let's go with that," he clarified after a further moment as he lifted his gaze back up to meet the woman's, deciding to amuse himself a little by offering her one of the flashed smiles that had always worked marvellously for him in the past. He knew that he had attracted attention from passersby by simply walking amongst them, but he hadn't actively tried to win it. He hadn't tested just how easily he could cause their cheeks to burn, their eyes to fill with desire.

Until now, anyway. The woman was older than Elora, perhaps not his type... but he didn't particularly care who he tested his abilities upon.

Just as he wasn't fussy when it came to finding himself a meal.

As the two traversed down the sidewalk, gathering glances along the way, Elora seemed painfullyoblivious to it. Focused on her mission of getting Chaol to the hairdressers, to keep him as calm and comfortable as much as she could. The young woman paid no attention to the turning of heads, the giggling of younger women should Chaol meet their eyes. Nor did she see the glare that gathered as they saw the two hands intertwined, jealously radiating off of those that wished to get closer to the vampire.

Even there was a low chance that Elora knew, if she paid mine to her gaze…the woman did not simply care. This was the best way to keep Chaol at her side, other than fetching him a childish backpack with a leash….

Glancing at the man as the thought came to mind, she was quickly determined that wouldn't be the best of ideas. Broad shoulders would surely be crapped by the small strap, the vampire being the sight of ridicule amongst the public if they dared to catch him on display.
Thus causing Elora to lose not only her life but the lives of others.

No…holding his hand was the best option. The safest option.

As Chaol disappeared to the back of the salon, Elora made her comfortable in the waiting room. Flipping through a magazine, listening in case the vampire was to call her name.

Thankfully the older woman seemed to have a master grasp on what to do with Chaol. Happy that he had taken her suggestion. Perhaps even a little caught off guard when she caught his eye in the reflection of the mirror. Her face turning a faint shade of red, blushing from not only his smile but the charm he oozed with each word he spoke. Smittened that he was trusting her to take care of his hair, the woman silently vowing to make it the best damn haircut he has ever had.

Even if it was just to keep him coming back to the shop. Asking for her.

Clearing her throat the woman gave a slight chuckle. "Of course…well your hair is already clean so why don't we just wet it down and begin."

Without any hesitation, the woman picked up a spray bottle. Spraying his hair, wetting it—damping it so she could get an accurate length of his hair.

"So, how long have you and your girlfriend been together?" She asked casually, moving to the wife to grab a pair of clippers—cutting the dark locks and allowing them to carelessly fall to the ground. "Or maybe she is your sister?" The woman questioned next, as if somewhat hopeful he would say yes.

"I was married once before you know. Didn't last long, but that is just the way the world is sometimes. Do you need anything to drink?"

Perhaps it was something Chaol would have to get used to in this world. People asking him about his personal life, dotting on him simply because he was beautiful and flashed a pretty smile. Questions asked to see if he was on the marketplace, if he was available for them to try their chance at being his and his alone.
Of course, he would eventually run into those who did not care whether the answer was yes or no. They would flirt and try and seduce him away from his human companion's side. For those people, obtaining him, even if for only a night, as if they had won some one-sided game.

Believing that they were better in every way than the person he was with. Perhaps at one time, those very people would have lost their heads should they try to come in between him and his wife.

"Oh, she isn't my girlfriend, no. No, she's just a friend, familiarising me with the town again. It's... been quite a long time since I was last here," replied Chaol casually as he turned his gaze to examine his features in the mirror, for the first real time since he had emerged from his prison.

Chaol had never been a modest man, not when he had been human and certainly not when he became a vampire. Even when he still had his humanity, he had been told since he was young that he was beautiful. To his parents, his mother especially, the young Chaol was a blessing. They had prayed for him, devoting themselves to their God and promising the deity that they would do whatever it took to please Him if He just provided them with a single child; just one. They had endured countless loss after loss, suffering physically as well as emotionally from each devastation and, as they entered their later years, the likelihood of a child, a family, had started to diminish, leaving a Lord concerned that he had no title to pass down and a wife who couldn't fathom the idea of her own childlessness.

And then Chaol came along: healthy and joyful, he was immediately the love of their lives. His mother would spoil him rotten and his father refused to consider that his son could ever do wrong because he was just glad to have him; an heir to the fortune and land, and a son to carry on the family name. A handsome, charming man who would be a figurehead for the town like his ancestors had been, providing charity, offering hope, bringing belief to the masses.

Both parents would be left devastated and horrified by what their son would go on to become; what horrors he would bring onto the village they had loved so much.

The memory of his parents, of their eternal pride in him and eventually the look of fear that dawned on their face as Chaol returned home, no longer the son they had brought him up to be, had caused Chaol to fall silent - if only because it revoked subsequent memories of his transformation: the fear as he was attacked, the screams that broke from him as a vampire's venom coursed through his veins, the agony that consumed him when his eyes opened, hands flying to his neck to ease the burning of his throat.

They weren't... the nicest memories to find him fixating upon and, as quickly as they had emerged, Chaol hurried to throw them from his brain.

He had come to adore the changes, falling into the behaviour that still clung to him to the present day... but the actual transformation itself, the fear that had washed over him as he was left to bleed alone on the cold ground...

For obvious reasons, he didn't want to put himself back there when he had grown, toughened, since that day

"A drink? Oh, you have no idea how desperately I'd love a drink," he responded once breaking himself out of his thoughts, another smile passing on his lips at the dual meaning, his throat burning as he considered tossing aside all caution and letting loose there and then, grabbing the woman harshly and tearing into her neck, allowing himself to drain her completely dry before setting his eyes on the other customers--

But he restrained himself. Not because he cared about those people, no.

No, he needed his haircut and it would be ludicrous to kill everyone capable of providing him with one.

Besides, he doubted Elora would look at him favourably if he made her witness the depths he could sink to - and after finally seeming to restore a little of the good atmosphere, he didn't want to disrupt it all over again because he couldn't control himself. He would feed soon, perhaps as evening dawned, but he would ensure that Elora wasn't present as he did so. That much, he felt he could manage.

"But I think I can manage a little patience; get myself something to drink when this haircut is complete. Patience is a virtue, is it not?" Continued Chaol casually, easing a leg over the other to fully embrace the relaxation that the moment brought. He wasn't thrilled that he had to maintain a cheery attitude, but it was a necessary evil for now; something he felt inclined to keep up until he had gained a familiarity of the town and the faces within it.

"Are there any good places to get a drink in this town? I am thinking about heading out tonight, enjoying a good drink. Quenching my thirst. Perhaps you could recommend somewhere for me to try out?"

"Ooh is that so." The woman hummed, perhaps a little too excitedly as Chaol explained that Elora was not his girlfriend. Just a friend, nothing more. "Do you travel often?" She questioned, catching his eye in the mirror once more. A smile playing on the edge of her lips.
The older woman chuckling as Chaol denied the need for a drink, completely unaware of the alternative meaning to his words. "You are correct, though it seems a lot of the younger generation has forgotten such a thing. So many just rush into things without thinking about it, believing the deserve what they want as soon as they can any it…" Truthfully it was easy enough to tune out the woman's complaints about the current generation.

It seemed that was one thing that won't ever change. The older always complaining about the younger. From what they were wearing, to their attitudes, to the way they made their paths in the world.

"Look down for me." The woman mentioned, gently placing her hand on Chaols head—tenderly placing his head down. Grabbing a pair of clippers she began shaving the back of his head,cutting it short enough that there was still some fuzz from his hair that was previously there.

Truthfully it was rather freeing, the air stoking new found skin. His head feeling lighter now that more and more hair was taken from his head.

"Oh there is many places to get a drink at, my favorite is probably The Cat Tails. It's about four blocks down from here actually." The woman pipped up happily.

Within about 30 minutes the woman had his hair done. The sides and back shaved leaving enough hair on the very top of his head to be styled. Truthfully the look brought out more of his stranger face features. The sharp, strong contour of his jaw. His eyes clearly visible, no longer blocked by shaggy hair that had once been there. A thick hold of gel pushing his dark locks back, holding them in place no matter how much he moved.

It was undeniable how handsome the man was. A certain old world beauty that he captured so painfully well. Truthfully, and as he knew it, the man would be turning more heads as soon as his beloved suites adored his body.

Perhaps even Elora would fluster herself over him.

"Perhaps I will catch you at the bar tonight you if decide to go." With a grin the woman gave him a mirror so he could see all sides of his new hair cut. "What do you think?" She asked rising an eyebrow. "If you like it I will be happy to give you my card and help you up keep with it. I can give you some styling gel too…free of charge of course."

Though he was loath to give a human a genuine compliment without getting anything from them in response, such as the opportunity to feed from the blood in their veins, Chaol had to admit it: the hairdresser had done a remarkable job, his eyes taking in the handiwork in surprise. Though beyond that surprise, beyond the registered shock at his appearance, was an approval; an undeniable sliver of being impressed by the work that had been done to his hair; the work that had succeeded in heightening an already intense beauty.

He had always been rather fond of the longer locks that rested upon his head, allowing them to often grow to shoulder-length even if society when he was at the height of his fame in the village had favoured shorter styles. Granted, no style had ever been this short in nature, and there had certainly been no fade at the side, nor any gel to style the longer strands residing at the top, but, despite being a stark contrast to all he had known and all he had personally preferred for himself, Chaol couldn't deny the smug satisfaction that arose as he analysed his appearance, poring over every detail that such a simple change had intensified upon it.

"Oh, you have done fantastic work, I am very much thrilled with the results-- so much so, in fact, that I might have to buy you a drink at The Cat Tails tonight in gratitude for such exemplary service," hummed Chaol as he proceeded to drink in the details of the cut, holding the mirror up to analyse the back of his head. Only when he was satisfied that he had seen all there was to see (even if he was content to admire his own reflection for hours on end if he had the time to do so, such was the extent of his narcissism) did he hand the woman back the mirror with a smile, removing the cape from around his shoulders and rising to his feet.

Admittedly, he was hoping to see a similar reaction of undisguised attraction from Elora as he wandered out to the front of the salon to reunite with her. A part of him resented the flicker of hope that emerged in his chest as he locked eyes on her and awaited her response, disgusted at the weakness within himself for caring about the opinion of a meek human girl he had known for less than a full day, but another part of him couldn't deny the hope that he would see her eyes drink in his beauty and be awed by it; that she would find him as attractive as he found her to be.

It didn't mean he had to act on those burgeoning feelings nor even admit to them aloud. He could just... have Elora as a friend, a confidant, an ally.

It didn't have to go further than that.

It was best, in fact, if it didn't go further than that.

"Your silence is rather deafening, Elora. Either compliment me or tell me I look daft - because the silence encourages ambiguity and I detest that; I despise the vagueness," he quipped as his arms came to fold across his chest, brow raised the longer he went without a verbal reply. "...I happen to think I look dashing, but I'm aware that you have a propensity to battle against my opinion, so say what you must - either way, you have to pay the woman for her remarkable service. You must know that I do not carry cash on me, it's unbecoming for a Lord to do so."

The pure joy, the proudness the older woman bore on her face spoke volumes as Chaol complimented her look. Giving her the approval she had been looking and hoping for. Once more a soft blush crossed her face as mentioned buying her a drink at The Cats Tail. "Oh my, you do not have to do that…but I won't stop you either!" Chucking she happily stood by, allowing him to take as much time as he wished to adore himself in the mirror.

Something Elora would have teased him for if she had been back there.

Claiming that his narcissism knew no bounds.

However she wasn't, instead he was only encouraged by the older woman to enjoy his new look.

Happily chatted to him about the bar that was nearby, offering him drink suggestions as she walked the man to the front. The chatter drawing Elora's attention, the young woman placing the phone she had idly been playing with back in her purse. To say that she was in awe of the vampire's new look was an understatement.

Ever so subtly, blue eyes widened. Chaol could feel her gaze search about the surface of his face. Drinking in the godly beauty he possessed. Even as Chaol demanded a response from her, asked her to tell him the truth if he looked good or not, he would find the woman unable to answer. Unable to tease him if she so chooses. After a few passing beats, the woman shook her head, as if to clear herself of the daze she had been in.

Her cheeks turning rosy, diverting her gaze as if that would help stop her face from burning up. "Y-yes." Came a high pitch squeak, clearing her throat the woman tried again, stilling her rushing heart. "I mean, yes you look amazing. She did an amazing job. The haircut really suits you!" Quick rambles left the woman's throat as she jumped from her seat, quickly moving to the front counter to pay for his haircut.

As much as Elora tried to deny it, she was insanely attracted to the man behind her. Trying desperately hard to rationalize with herself that he was a monster. A beast that would steal her life when the moment came, someone that was mourning the lost love that had been so wrongly taken from him. Elora couldn't compete with that. She shouldn't even allow herself to let such silly emotions, silly notions that she could compete with the princess.

Certainly, they were nothing alike. Chaol and Athanasia's beauty had complemented each other. As though they had been plucked from the stars for everyone to gaze upon. The heavens opened and joined the two together. The princess with her dark hair, emerald eyes that were almost doll-like. The cute button nose that matched her face so well. The perfect milky complexion so many women from his time had wished for. How soft her skin was under Chaols touch, how warm and tender she felt when he held her.

Elora…was rather plain compared to that. No, she did not believe she could match the beauty of the woman from his portrait. No, she could never replace the ache he felt in his heart for the Princess.

It was foolish, if not deadly to think otherwise.

"Of course, you wouldn't carry cash. Lord forbid his highness get his hands dirty by using such commander necessities." With a playful grin, the woman produced a plastic card, paying the price that was listed on the tiny screen in front of them.

As Elora paid the woman came around the corner with a bag for Chaol, gel and a few other treats placed inside the black bag.
"There you are, if you find you really enjoy any of those sample products let me know and I'll restock you. I hope to see you later at The Cats Tail."

With a playful wink to Chaol, and a happy almost triumphant smile to Elora, the woman disappeared into the back—addressing the gossip that was surely waiting for her.

Looking to Chaol, Elora's gaze was full of skepticism. "Fancy a date with the hairdresser? Wow, I was expecting something more….posh." Elora teased, taking his hand into her own once more, leading him out the door and back into the streets. "Maybe I'll stop by for a drink or two myself. Who knows, I might just find something entertaining while I'm there."

If he expected a good reaction from Elora, then the reaction he was actually met with was so monumentally positive, so much more than he had prepared himself for, left Chaol with a brow raised as he comprehended the extent of it. He was arrogant enough to know of his handsomeness and the effect he would have on most people who held an attraction towards men, but Elora hadn't responded to his presence during their initial meeting with this level of attraction. She had undeniably looked him up and down and, even amongst his anger and bewilderment, the vampire had noted the attraction that accompanied such glances-- but there was no speechlessness, no dark blushes, no wide eyes and certainly no heart beat fluttering from desire.

Granted, the fear that she was hit with had probably dominated over the instantaneousness of the attraction, with Chaol smugly recalling that the thud of her heart during that first meeting had been from the terror tearing through her at the sight of a looming vampire, glaring venomously down at her.

Tugging himself out of the reverie, Chaol absorbed the high pitched squeak that burst from her in reply and though he wanted to laugh and mock her for it, he instead chose to simply smile; to reflect on how adorable it had been--

Stop it stop it stop it.

He urged himself inwardly to stop playing into the attraction; to stop delighting in Elora's desire for him as much as he had been. There was a difference in enjoying the admiration that the hairdresser held for him before he had no vested interest in her beyond the blood she could offer to him. There was no real connection to be found there, with the flirtation harmless and serving a purpose in forging an interest on her part; an interest he could exploit to drain her dry should he cross paths with her at the pub - as he intended to do, lest someone more suitable arrived into his company before she could.

Thus, because he hadn't connected with her on any level, because he didn't care for her on any level, it was easy to drink in her attraction to him and be amused by it - because nothing would come of it, other than him using her desire to get what he needed. He couldn't do that with Elora, couldn't fully embrace the attraction on display, because... he feared that he would only grow closer to her if he did. If he allowed himself to fully acknowledge her drifting eyes and rosy cheeks, her thudding heart and unsubtle intakes of breath to calm her growing warmth, then he would have to also acknowledge his pull to her, his admiration of her lips, her eyes, the dip of her waist and curve of her hips--

And if he did, he would be unable to resist the pull to kiss her, to whisper words of desire into her ears, to whisk her up into his arms with remarkable ease and lavish her with every ounce of his affections the way she deserved--

And that couldn't happen. He couldn't allow himself to fall for another human, another mortal; someone so fragile, so easily hurt and broken.

He couldn't be heartbroken again and he couldn't allow for someone he cared about to feel it too - because Athanasia proved that one could die from a broken heart.

And though he had just met Elora, the thought of her dying, of her body cold and lifeless in his arms, pained him in a way he didn't wish to experience. Not again

It was why he resisted to lean into the playfulness of the exchange, why he didn't reciprocate the teases, why his hand hung loosely in her own.

And why he was quick to shoot her a glare when she suggested she would pay the pub a visit later in the night.

Because the last thing he wanted was for Elora to see him... hunting.

To see him look like the monster he could revert to being with frightening ease.

Because though he desired fear, though he longed to witness it in the eyes of humans... he didn't want Elora to look at him like that.

Not now; not ever

"You are not to go to that pub, Elora. You are to stay home and await my return, are we quite clear? I am not flirting with that tedious woman for the thrill of it - her desire for me is touching, but inevitable. I do not feel anything for her. She is simply a meal to me; someone I will tear into and devour-- and you are not to be present because I cannot do what I must with you there, do you quite understand me? I will feed tonight, I will kill, and-- and you are not making this as easy for me, nor as enjoyable, by having me explain it," he grimaced, clutching the bag of products at his side in growing disharmony.

He didn't want to have to feel guilty for bluntly describing the truth to her, nor did he want to feel guilty for doing what he had to do to survive, especially when he took pleasure in the thrill of the hunt. Athanasia had changed that, made him want to be a better man, a kinder man who didn't violently kill--

But she wasn't around anymore and he felt he had the freedom to act on his long-standing desires-- until Elora arrived and complicated matters, the idea of her judging him, fearing him, making his gut clench and swirl with nausea.

But he was a vampire. He was Lord De Villiers.

He couldn't allow Elora, a mere human, start to influence his natural behaviour

"...If you do decide to come by, I will not adjust my behaviour so do not find fault with me for what you witness. I am a vampire, Elora. I will charm, I will draw people in - and I will kill them. I will shower myself in their blood-- I am not a good man, I am not kind, considerate nor sympathetic. I am a monster and nothing you do or say will change that. I am sorry to be blunt but-- you are clearly forgetting what I am and what I long to do. I am simply... reminding you."

Elora took note of how loosely the vampire held her hand now—though she thought nothing of it. Her mind was too distracted at calming the fuck down. She was angry at herself for getting so worked up when Chaol stepped out from the back of the salon. Mad that a cocky grin or mocking rise of an eyebrow could draw her in. Wishing, no needing to see more faces the man could pull. Needing to see every emotion on that beautiful face, positive or negative.

He was a predator, and she was nothing but prey if he should so decide it.

If she got too close to him, too involved, too entranced… Well, she would be no better than a rabbit sticking its head into a wolf's mouth. Just begging for the creature to snap its jaw.

Perhaps that was the horrible curse of his. To draw everyone in like that so they were easier to devour. It would be best if she did not fall for it…despite how she was by every passing second.

Chaol's demand for her to stay home that night quickly drew her attention back to him. His voice deep, low…enticing once more.

Raised eyebrow spoke of a playful fight about to break out. The woman was about ready to question him about whether he would be able to actually stop her from leaving the house that night or not. He didn't control her, even if it seemed like he did!
However, the more he spoke…the more she understood his concern for her going to the same bar as him that night. He was…in Chaols own way, worried. Perhaps he did not think he could restrain himself if he got his fill that night. Or that he would mentally scare and taint the young woman's view of him. Like he actually cared about her. Even if it was just a smidge.

As that thought crossed her mind…Elora found herself speechless for a second time that day. She wasn't mad…but maybe more touched by the vampire's concern.

"You say you aren't a kind man…but I highly doubt an unkind man could have gained the heart of Athanasia as you had." Came the soft mummer, a sly smile playing across the woman's face now.
"But…do you really have to go out and kill?" Elora questioned, perhaps a bit nervously. "I'm just saying…I'm worried about if the police find out. There are cameras everywhere nowadays and I don't want to see you get hurt or into more trouble. I mean, I could be your personal juice box. If it's the thrill of the chase you need, I can run around the manor and hide….like some kind of twisted version of hide and seek."

Once more curiosity sparkled in the young woman's eyes. Though it was mixed with concern as she wondered just what his answer would be.

Perhaps it was selfish of Elora to keep Chaol from his natural instincts. Selfish to keep him from eating his fill…even more so after he had been locked away for such a long time.

"However…I think it would be unfair if I told you what to do. I'm simply offering alternatives is all. If you do decide that you are going to hunt tonight, then I will leave you to it. I won't go to the pub, but I can't guarantee that I won't go out tonight." Elora hummed, turning suddenly to walk him into a clothing store.

Ideally, Elora would take his command in without objection. Even if she came to understand that he was seeking to keep her at an arms' length of the violence to prevent her from being scarred by its impact, and to subsequently protect the image of Chaol she currently possessed in her mind, it didn't matter so long as the message itself resonated and encouraged her to obey it. He doubted she looked too favourably upon taking demands from him, but if she recognised the undercurrent of thoughtfulness beneath it all, all the vampire could do was pray (albeit to Gods he didn't believe in) that she respected the request and honoured it.

That he would return to his manor upon the conclusion of the night out with Elora in bed, sleeping soundly and oblivious to the blood that stained his chin; the scent of his victims upon his collar.

Evidently, that was too much to ask for, her subsequent tease, so casually deployment, causing Chaol's eyes to flare angrily.

Before she could tug him into the clothes store in preparation to complete his updated look, Chaol restored the strength of the grip in her hand to pull her back and firmly into his embrace. It didn't particularly concern him that he was committing his actions in public for all to see - if only because in that moment, nothing else really mattered other than getting his message through to Elora.

Because he couldn't allow her to think that venturing out was a viable option to her that night. Even if she didn't go to the pub, who was to say that their paths wouldn't cross on the street? That she wouldn't catch him as he finished up with his meal, body heaving with such an exertion of energy?

Eyes fully darkened, teeth sharp, blood splattered and animalistic.

He couldn't allow that.

Pressing her back to the brick wall beside the store, he closed the distance and sharply cut the proximity by inching his body close to hers. A hand rested beside her head to encourage the intimate nature of the exchange, though it was a move he had made in the hope of intensifying proceedings, ensuring she had no option but to take him seriously.

Instead, Chaol was left to realise his mistake when pressing in as close as he had did encourage intimacy... but an altogether different sort. With his face mere inches from her own, the vampire was left to once again observe the smaller, finer details usually lost on him when he sought to keep a distance from such a proximity. He could hear how her heart fluttered in her chest and, as his eyes dipped to her neck, he could almost taste the blood that ran within it, the sweet scent rising from her doing very little to discourage the surge of hunger.

"You are not to go out tonight, Elora. That is final. I cannot allow you to see me wandering these streets. I will not... let you see me like that; have your view of me coloured by such behaviour. Because I will kill and your objections... they fall on deaf ears. I will not change and all I can do is shield you from it as best I can," he murmured softly, his voice a mere whisper as he found his head tilting down towards hers, his hand on the wall behind her allowing him to adopt the move with ease. A strand of his newly cut hair fell over his forehead at the new positioning, though he remained oblivious to it, his eyes never once leaving her neck as a tempting vein caught his attention, the Lord almost hearing how it throbbed with the pulse of her heart.

Almost as if calling to him directly, commanding he return his teeth to her skin...

"You are going to drive me to utter madness-- perhaps you can pick yourself up a scarf, hide that tempting neck of yours from my view,," he remarked as, without warning, he tore himself out of the moment before he could become captivated by it entirely. Despite the almost steamy nature of the exchange, with the closeness of their bodies, the intensity of his gaze and the husky tone to his voice, Chaol was able to pull away and appear entirely composed as though he hadn't had her up against the wall, blocked from exit by his embrace. Perhaps with infuriating calmness, he adjusted the hem of his t-shirt, his lip curled in disgust.

"Now let us get me some proper clothes, shall we? I cannot abide this dreadful t-shirt a moment longer, Elora," he grunted as, automatically, he reached for her hand. He hardly needed guidance when he was beside the store, but, and though he would never admit it aloud, he had come to find fondness in her touch; comfort at knowing she was inarguably at his side.

His thumb lightly ran over her knuckles as, knowing the effect it would have but unable to stop himself from committing it, he shot her a light wink, accompanying one of his rare dimpled smile.

"You can spoil me with that magic money card of yours-- I do feel, after being imprisoned for decades on end, I deserve a little treat."

• Spicy
Reactions: LittleRabbit
Truthfully Elora had not thought anything of her going out that night. It never crossed her mind in what kind of state she would find Chaol in, how scary he might look, or how tarnished her view of him would be should she find the dead body. No, all of that was far from her mind. Despite how close it should be. Elora just couldn't picture him being the thing of nightmares…couldn't picture someone so beautiful to look so frightful.

Clearly, she was unaware of the severity of the situation.

At least, she was.

Before Elora had a chance to react, a chance to say anything else, the grip on her hand suddenly became tight. Within moments she found herself pressed up against the brick wall of the building. Eyes wide as she stared up at Chaol who was impossibly close. Their faces mer inches from one another. Each word he spoke was breathed onto her face, a feeling Elora found she didn't mind in the slightest.

Despite how intimidating this could have looked. How serious the situation certainly was …Elora could deny how—intense it all was.
In that moment the woman allowed herself to take in all of Chaol. From the dark color of his eyes, to now his hair hung in his face ever so slightly. Watching as his eyes trailed down to her neck, unknown to her that he could hear her heart hammering in her chest. Her stomach doing loops as his husky voice broke over her.

"Okay…okay. I'll stay home." Breathless words flowed through her mouth. If Chaols whole purpose in this intimate moment was to intimidate Elora…then he had failed miserably. Though—perhaps he learned something new about the little human. It was much easier to get her to agree to his whims if he cornered her. Playing into whatever odd fantasy that held the woman's heart captive.

The blood to her face coating her in a deep hue of red as he lowered his head towards her neck, only to pull away at the last second to chaise her about her neck. Demanding she wear a scarf to avoid his temptation in biting her again. Then…all at once the moment was over. Chaol pulling away, tugging at his shirt—freeing the woman, albeit in her opinion way too soon, from his bodily prison. Demanding that she free him from the horrible curse of tee-shirt that adored his body.

As if nothing happened the man grabbed Eloras hand, the warmth of his thumb brushing against her knuckles along with the grin he shot her just about took Elora out. Already her head was spinning, the young lady too stunned to speak or argue with the vampire. To keep herself from passing out in that moment, the woman covered her face with her free hand. She could feel her face burning scarlet. The cool air suddenly feeling much too hot, her body feeling too giddy, her head feeling too light as the vampire pulled her along now.

"Of course, whatever you want Chaol." Weakly her voice came out, but it was undeniable that between the small squeaks, he could hear a smile behind her covered face.

He's going to kill me…one way or the other. I'm going to die to this man.

Elora dared not peak between fingers nor lift her head when they entered the store. Simply put she couldn't. Not if she wanted to keep herself upright. Perhaps being alone had taken a toll on the woman, perhaps she was so indeed of another's company that whatever Chaol said or did was somehow a shock to her system. Either way…she wanted to keep the man at her side, wanted his gaze to remain on her and her only.

And for a moment…she couldn't help but feel jealous of the hairdresser that ran her fingers through his hair. Couldn't help but feel jealous that she was the one going to the bar with him that night…even if it was just her last.

However, her thoughts were quickly distracted as the two were greeted in the store—though this time they were left to their own devices. Slowly the woman pulled her hand from her face, keeping Chaols current grip close to her side. The store just smelled rich.
Already she could hear the wailing of her wallet—but if it was for Chaol…well she certainly couldn't tell him no. At least not in that very moment…perhaps ever.

Truthfully Elora didn't mind either. She was left with a rather nice fortune from her parents, thankfully she had money to burn for quite the next few lives.

"What color suit do you like? There are some button-up shirts too that I think would fit you." Elora hummed, this time slowly dragging him through the isles.

The stammered nature of her agreement wasn't lost on Chaol as he dedicated a few seconds to quietly observing her physical reaction. He could tell that he had unsettled her composure, the evidence gathered from the spluttered response, the raging blush, the thud of her heart and glaze to her eyes, but he was struggling to contend with the reaction he had to it all.

Fundamentally, the sight of her rosy-cheeked and attracted to the nature of his attempted intimidation pleased him in a way it perhaps shouldn't when he was determined to maintain a healthy distance. He didn't want to encourage her ideas of a closeness being fostered between them, nor allow himself to pay any further attention to how those very same ideas were residing, with unflinching stubbornness, in his own head - but his actions only served to contradict that. Despite his head insisting that he keep Elora away and resist the temptation she perhaps unknowingly displayed, his heart, though unbeating, insisted that he continue to offer her the smiles, the teasing remarks, the charm.

Because in doing so, he forged a connection that otherwise wouldn't exist if he regarded her icily with thinly veiled contempt; if he maintained the solid wall to defend himself from feeling and emotion. Yet, those walls were already at risk of coming down, the foundations crumbling before him, because he couldn't resist her, nor resist how... fulfilling, how pleasing, it was to regard her obvious attraction to him and actively play into encouraging its growth.

Because it wasn't done out of maliciousness, to encourage her feelings to grow despite having none of his own to offer in response.

No, he... had feelings, felt... a pull. He was better off not experiencing them, with the urge to shut himself off always present in his mind, but he knew, with begrudging reluctance, that he couldn't deprive himself of Elora's touch; couldn't rid himself of... of her

It was why he willingly allowed himself to be led into the store when the smartest thing to do would be to detach himself from her and reinstall the coldness that had dominated his initial meeting with her. He should return to the fearsome vampire she had released from the chest, glaring down at her with disgust and dismissiveness.

But something had shifted. He considered himself weak to allow himself to have fallen so easily to his desires, to even consider accepting that this was a feeling he had shared with Athanasia and thus something more sacred, more special, than a meaningless crush... but he couldn't deny it; couldn't... tear himself of Elora's call.

He mulled over the complex feelings, how he was caught between his head and his heart, only to be distracted by the interior of the store. Never having actively shopped for himself, having always had things delivered to him as a result of his superior belief that he was too important to tend to business himself, Chaol became immediately transfixed by the rails of clothing, a hand running over the fine suits with a genuine look of impressiveness. He didn't want to praise anything about modern clothing when he preferred to be stubborn and claim the fashion of his time as superior... but he couldn't ignore the pull he felt to the smart suits and linen undershirts, crisp white and attractive.

Because he knew without a doubt that he would look unbelievable in them; that nobody would be able to resist staring at him, pulled in by the undeniable allure, if he ventured out dressed smartly in what was now on offer to him.

"This is rather smart, don't you think?" He murmured as he pulled a fitted suit jacket from the rack, holding it up for Elora's inspection. "I don't necessarily trust your taste in fashion when you think this t-shirt I'm wearing was objectively a good decision to purchase, but I do value the... bluntness of your opinion, Elora, so don't hold back on me. How would I look in this?"

The woman couldn't help but fringe annoyance as the man commented on the shirt he was currently wearing. Declaring it acknowledged her lack of taste for fashion. As he plucked a suit jacket from a rack, her hands now free, the woman crossed her arms. Scuffing at the comment. "Listen, it's the only thing I could find that would fit you. You already get plenty of stares as is. If you had worn your previous outfit, then you would have gandered more attention and perhaps some laughs. You should be thanking me Chaol."

Despite how harsh her words might have seemed, the faint hint of a smile could be seen at the corner of her lips. As if trying to keep up the rouse that she was actually upset with his incorrect statement. Elora watched him hold the jacket up to his body, the young woman tilting her head, thinking if the color suited him or not. "I like it, just not that color. It washes you out. Makes you look too pale." Elora hummed. Turning her back to the man, Elora shifted through the fitting jackets until she found one in a different shade. "Try this one instead."

Turning around she held it out for the vampire to take, a small smile on her face as she did so. Perhaps it was mundane, or even out of the vampires statues to be in there, shopping with a lowly human, but it was also…oddly enjoyable.
Once a person in Chaols company got past the stares that he generated, there was something oddly… calming about being at his side. She was safely unsafe with the vampire, even though the notion was horribly contradicting. Just the night before he was about to drain her off all her blood—only stopping when he realized that he needed her assistance. He had been rather cruel and uncaring with his words thus far…but she couldn't mistake that he held some kind of tenderness.

His actions thus far shown that he wasn't the monster he tried to make himself out to be. The underlying worry she had for her safety when night came was not something she believed a monster would worry about. The way he had stroke her knuckles with his thumb was not something she believed a murderous beast would do.
Don't get her wrong, however, she fully believed that Chaol could and would handle himself. Should deride himself of any and all annoyance that crossed his path. Murdering anyone he choose to—however, she also believed it would be in justified cause. Perhaps his previous lover changed him more than she believed. Perhaps, still to this day, he felt the effects of her love.

"If you want, we can pull some outfits from the racks and you can try them on." Elora told him, slowly walking down the aisle so she could give him plenty of time to look. Only stopping when he did. Aside from suits, there were many accessories and dresses for the female gaze. Watches behind glass countertops closer to the front, golden cuffs for men's suits should they decide their suit needed something a bit more.
Every so often they were approached by shop attendants asking if they needed help with anything. Although they addressed both Chaol and Elora, their attention was fully focused on Chaol. Hardly acknowledging Elora when she said they were just looking.

Truthfully she couldn't blame them or even get annoyed with the lack of interest in herself. Chaol was beyond beautiful. The kind that made him stick out like a sore thumb. People wanted to know him, get close to him, and have some kind of interaction with the man. Almost like he was some celebrity in their sleepy little town. Oblivious to the horrors he had once spread across the very land they stood on.

It…was better that way. No one needed to know about the dark deeds Chaol once committed. No one had to be any wiser that they were speaking to a siren. One that would draw them in with his beauty only to drown him in the waters below.
Even Elora was finding herself pulled into his song. Over and over again. Pulled under the waves that were Chaol, swallowed by the deep eyes of his—allured by his damn smile. The dimples that made him even more charming.

….

Wait wait wait
No, she can't be feeling like this, not again. Not ever even!

She had already been scorned in the past by an ex-lover. One that had forced her to flee for her own safety. Truthfully Chaol probably wasn't much better. He has already shown he is hot-tempered. Narcissist. Cute—adorable...

Damn it Elora no, shake it.

Mentally the woman took a deep breath, letting it go and letting her emotions and hormones sail by. There was no reason for her to act on those silly little whims. Honestly, the vampire was probably just messing with her. Teasing her just to get a rise.

There couldn't be anything between the two, no matter how handsome he was going to look in his new suits.

• Love
Not anticipating the change of direction from what he had pulled out for himself, Chaol stood quietly, almost speechless in fact, as he comprehended the idea that Elora seemingly felt she could pick him out something that suited him better than what he had chosen. Even if the alteration was minimal -a change of colour rather than an entirely new clothing choice- it was still a difference that suggested she knew what would suit his complexion more than he did, and he wasn't sure if he should be offended by that fact or not.

When his ego was prone to raging, when his narcissism shrouded every move he made and every action he undertook, any slight against a decision he had made was almost a slight against him; a criticism of the choices he inevitably thought were entirely correct and above reproach. For Elora to do something as simple as disagree with him over the colour of a suit, Chaol had to bite the inside of his cheek to stop himself uttering out a cutting remark in reply - because he had to remind himself that there was no point in kicking up a fuss over something inconsequential--

Though really, it wasn't inconsequential at all. No, him looking his best, feeling confident in the modern world he now inhabited-- that was important and if Elora was forcing him into a direction that he felt contradicted that desire, pushed him to looking less impressive than he could be, then wasn't he within his rights to respond, however harsh those words might become?

And so, the vampire opened his mouth to lambast her; to criticise her choice and her belief that she knew would would suit him more than he did, but no words would fall from Chaol's lips. As strong as his intention to defend his choice was, to continue to support his assertion that his choices would always be superior and invulnerable to critique, it fell apart when he turned to the mirror to examine the colour of the suit against his complexion; how it complemented the dark tone to his hair and brought out a sparkle in his eyes.

Loath was he was to admit it, Elora... was correct and her fashion sense not quite as disastrous as he had initially poked fun at it for being.

Narrowing his eyes to himself in annoyance that he had to admit to being wrong (if only inwardly), he opted to follow her lead throughout the store rather than rely solely on his own choices because, reluctantly, he had to admit that she probably had some skill in choosing out what would look good on him. He didn't want to rely upon her when it countered his belief that he always knew best, that his views were always superior - but when he wanted to fulfil his potential, he could stand to accept a little help from someone who clearly knew what she was talking about.

And he doubted he would ever hear the end of her boasting about helping him in such a way, his jaw clenched as he considered how often she would rub her success in his face.

"I think I'll wait to try them on; postpone the little fashion show until we're home. I fear that I'll cause quite the scene if I did so now, Elora-- the staff here aren't too subtle in undressing me with their eyes as it is. I can't imagine the depths of the desire I will witness if I were to don this suit, it would be quite... overwhelming," grinned Chaol, happy to embrace the role as a narcissist fully aware of his beauty and the effect it had on others-- because it was hardly a role he didn't care to occupy when that was who he was.

Granted, it hadn't been quite as intense when he was human, but it had still been part of who he was - his looks had been present when his heart was still beating, Chaol having quietly enjoyed being talk of the town for not only his status as its future Lord but for his looks, gossip often following him regarding what woman would be fortunate enough to receive his invitation of courtship and marriage.

Becoming a vampire had, inarguably, intensified the strength of his ego - but why shouldn't he harbour one when he had the evidence to back it all up?

"No, let's buy these suits, those cufflinks, and those shoes over there, and I'll try them on later. You can be the sole occupant to that privilege," he continued as he casually collected the pile of clothing to hang over to her arms, his hands coming to rest on his hips in satisfaction at the day's work - because to him, shopping for clothes was a tiring experience tantamount to physical labour. "You go ahead and pay for those, I'm exhausted. I had no idea shopping was so much hard work, especially on an empty stomach-- speaking of, you should eat. You did rather waste your breakfast when you jumped out of your skin like a frightened cat and sent most of it flying onto the floor, didn't you?"

"Well, don't I feel rather honored." Elora chuckled as the man told her that she, and she alone, would be the one to witness him trying on his new clothing. As if it was a privilege—and perhaps it was. Chaol was right, people might be sent into a frenzy should he try them on now or even wear them out in public. Eventually, he would, and Elora was well aware of all the stares and attention he would gander. However, she couldn't help but notice that Chaol seemed to adore it. As much as she assumed he would be standoffish or aloof—Elora could sense his ego-inflating rather largely due to all the attention.

It was the same ego that made him infuriated with the fact that Elora had simply suggested a different color of the suite he had originally picked up. She could sense the tension that radiated from his very core as if she had insulted him dearly. However, wasn't she just doing what he said?
Did he not say he appreciated her honesty? If he did not want the truth, then why ask her for her honest option? The woman could simply lie to him. Said it looked amazing, inflate that already big head of his more.

And that's where she assumed the anger stemmed from. The vampire taking it as a personal attack on his choices. As though what he picked wasn't good enough, that she was criticizing his view. It was easy to let her own ego get damaged, to be annoyed with his own frustration. And perhaps, if he had said something—made an off-handed remark, Elora would have allowed that frustration to boil over once more.
Instead, she took his silence and acceptance of the new jacket she chose. Deducing that his feelings stemmed from another deeply rooted source. Something that Chaol would have to figure out himself.

The young woman couldn't help but smirk, shaking her head as Chaol declared just how exhausted the shopping trip had made him. "Mmm…yes yes. It's rather rough picking out your own clothing. Getting your hair cut. Horribly exhausting." Elora teased, grabbing the shoes he wanted before marching to the front counter. Taking the suits from Chaol the woman placed the down, the employees jumping to check the two out.
"If someone hadn't been sitting in the dining room, silent and still like a creep, then perhaps I wouldn't have been as startled." Truthfully Elora had been starving since that got to town. The woman simply ignoring it up until this point.

"But yes. I should probably eat something. I assume you do as well since you haven't had anything since last night." Elora hummed trying to figure out just what she could do for the man. She recalled how he said he would bring a snack home…but she wondered if he was going to make good on that promise.
"If you are too tired from your current adventure we can go home now, I can find something to eat there."

Reaching for her card once more as they got the total, Elora kept herself from cringing at the price. Knowing very well that Chaol had to have the new items. Accommodating as best as she could. Taking the large paper back in one hand, Elora mindlessly reached for Chaols hand with her free one. Leading him out of the store and back into the public.

"It's my home, Elora. I will sit wherever I want to, as quietly was I want to. Is it my fault that you have a nervous disposition and scare so easily? Am I to be blamed for your easily-caused frightfulness?" Countered Chaol as he absently drummed his fingers against the countertop whilst the clothes were being paid for, his eyes taking in the cost-- without fully comprehending how extortionate it was nor the fact that he wasn't the one having to pay for them.

When he was from a bygone era, the inflation that had skyrocketed to cause the garments to be as expensive as they now were in comparison to the price he would have paid back in decades gone by wasn't lost on him. He could see beyond all doubt that the price was significant, but it didn't fully register to him just how pricey they were-- because his wealth was generational, a family fortune having sustained him throughout his earlier years and stood to continue to sustain him now. He had endless amounts of cash hidden away in the walls of his home, in secret nooks and crannies that he had to hope remained undiscovered by the humans that had lived in his manor since he occupied it freely.

There might be an expectation for Nola to pay for the clothes now, but Chaol wasn't tied to his selfishness so much that he would allow her to remain out of pocket. Even if he wasn't fully aware that not everyone could fork out for clothes of such expense without it making a dent in their finances, it was a matter of pride above all else that encouraged him to repay Nola when he returned home.

Even if he enjoyed things being gifted to him, his home having once possessed fine art and magnificent structures presented to him by fellow aristocrats during dinner evenings (mostly when he was still human and had to endure such events), the Lord status didn't mean he was willing to accept and not give.

...Even if instances where he gave back were few and far between.

Whether out of familiarity or a need to keep her close at his side now they had emerged back out into the crowded high street, Chaol's fingers found themselves entwining with Elora's, unsubtle in the grip that now took place between them, rather than hanging loosely and reluctantly in her hold as they had done before they entered the store. Taking in a deep breath he didn't need, Chaol's hand raised to shield his eyes from the sun as he examined the seemingly endless crowd of people bustling their way past one another, all so engaged in their own lives, in where they had to be, that they jostled about, cramped together, like sardines.

He could feel himself grow overwhelmed-- albeit not solely from the stream of people passing him, shooting him glances, unsubtle and lingering, as they did so. As keen as he might be to return to the comfort and security of his home, to block out the light and relax into the darkness, he couldn't do that when he needed sustenance - and though Elora had charitably offered to help him, Chaol didn't want to drink from her.

He wasn't sure he could stop if he tasted a drop of her blood again, with the thought of its richness, its sweetness, making his throat burn, exacerbating his hunger tenfold.
Scanning the crowd, eyes now intense in his growing desperation to feed before the ache became unfathomable, he eventually focused in on someone sat outside a cafe, enjoying an iced coffee in the afternoon sun. It didn't necessarily matter who he chose to feed from, but to avoid as much attention as he could, it was smart to opt for someone who he could get the attention of with as minimal effort as possible; someone who could be talked into wandering down an alley with him without too much effort on his part.

Someone whose brain would be easily wiped of the incident whenever Chaol got his fill - because as little as he cared about the value of a human life, even he wasn't so narcissistic that he thought he could kill someone in broad daylight and get away with it unscathed.

"That cafe over there, the rather charming one with the hanging flowers-- you can find yourself something to eat there, Elora. As can I," he determined smugly as he found his eyes locking with his target's, the young woman -Francine- breaking her flowing conversation with her friend sat opposite in order to take in the stranger's attention - and promptly returning the smile, albeit almost bashfully as she quickly turned to her friend and fought off the urge to cover her face in her hands to hide the now unsubtle reddening blush cascaded across both cheeks.

"Really, sit yourself down and order a meal. I won't be too long," he encouraged as he wandered forward with purpose, dropping Elora's hand in the pursuit of his target, whose table he came to stand beside with the same charming smile resting with smooth ease on his lips.

A few words were exchanged, a giggle underlying every word from the girl's mouth, before her eyes drifted reluctantly to take in Elora left on the periphery of the conversation, her brows needling together as if only now seeing her for the first time. "But what about your girlfriend, will she--"

"She's not my girlfriend-- that's the second time someone has thought that today. No, no, Elora is an acquaintance," replied Chaol as he glanced over his shoulder at Elora, tilting his head to the doorway of the cafe to emphasise his need for her to take a seat within it; to enjoy the normalcy of the occasion and shut her mind off what Chaol would be doing in his absence; to act as though he wasn't charming this stranger just so he could down as much of her blood as he would allow himself to. "You get us a table, Elora, I really won't be too long with Francine here."

Reactions: LittleRabbit