Remind Me of the Heart(LittleRabbitXPotassiumboron)

• So many newbies lately! Here is a very important PSA about one of our most vital content policies! Read it even if you are an ancient member!
Perhaps Elora should had been annoyed by his statement of the home being his and his alone. Annoyed that he felt entitled enough to blame her for the scare that was clearly his fault. However, instead of anger, he would find the woman rolling her eyes. Shaking her head with a smile tugging on her lips. Finding his retort to be…a tad humorous. "It's our house Chaol. I'm the one that fixed it all up. I'll tolerate your presence, but it's not just all yours anymore." Elora hummed, a playful tone hanging in her voice.
Truthfully the woman couldn't be as annoyed as she should. Especially when she knew she would get a rise out of him claiming that the house wasn't just his anymore.

Elora wasn't expecting the man to pay her back, nor was she aware of the wealth that the vampire hid around the house. The woman only assumed that he no longer had a coin to his name. Besides, she did feel like it was the least she could do. Even if she wasn't the one that had shut him away, it was still her kind that committed the act.

If the human had thought the vampire would simply forget his need to find someone to satisfy his hunger, then she was sorely mistaken. As they traveled their way down the sidewalks, the young woman stopped just as the vampire had. Following his gaze to the cafe and thus the woman he had his eyes set on. The smugness in his voice catching the woman by surprise as true annoyance rushed through her system. The woman was…well Elora couldn't deny that she was beautiful. Though she also couldn't deny the odd coldness she felt when Chaol dropped her hand—stepping away from her to catch his meal.

It was stupid, perhaps comical that a jealous tension raised in Elora's belly. Annoyed with every giggle that escaped the woman's mouth. He hadn't said anything funny, why was she giggling?!
It was a jealousy Elora had not felt when the hair dresser chatted with Chalo. Or the way she openly invited him to the bar that night—no this was different. As if the kind stranger that was unknowingly becoming a snack to Chaol, posed some kind of threat.

A threat to what? Elroa wasn't sure—nor was she willing to find out.

Unwilling to act on this intense feeling, Elora did her best to push it down. Burying it deep within the corner of her mind to deal with another day.
Of course, Elora had to watch to see how this all played out. Even if she was a tad bit annoyed. Hiding a smirk as the woman became worried about Elora's gaze, her distance between the two. Knowing that if she came between Chaol and his apparent girlfriend there could be trouble.

However, Chaol was quick to put to ease that worry.

The vampire claiming Elora was nothing but an acquaintance to him, someone he barely knew—which wasn't a lie at all. Though the woman couldn't help but cast the vampire a look. Gazing him up and down with a rise of a blonde eyebrow—a slight laugh escaping her mouth at the notion.
Certainly, acquaintances wouldn't be holding hands so intimately as they had moments before. Something the woman had quickly caught on to.

Though Elora was also quick to catch onto the nodding of his head. Subtly demanding her to leave his side—to get them a table so he could feast.

"I'm more of an assistant. Chaol hasn't been here for some time and I'm just helping him around. You two have fun." With a kind smile, the woman turned and disappeared into the door of the cafe, blocking out what she knew was about to happen. Half worried that Chaol was in fact going to murder that woman in broad daylight—though she begged that wouldn't be the case. Perhaps…perhaps it would be best to ignore that as well.

Stepping into the cafe the woman left Chaol alone—allowing him to do what he needed. Focusing on herself now Elora was happily greeted by one of the hostesses, explaining that she was waiting on a friend. Allowing her to get a table for two. Closer to the back and near a window, Elora was happy to sit down. Plucking the bag under her table. Looking over the menu to find something she could sink her teeth into.

It had been a long, long time since Chaol had actively... hunted.

His first taste of blood after his prolonged, enforced absence had been from Elora, and he could hardly count that as an example of his typical feeding process when he hadn't had to use any of his gathered skills nor his instinctive talents to bring her to his side. He hadn't enjoyed the fear that surged through her because he hadn't dedicated even a sliver of time to causing it; he hadn't enjoyed the gradual deterioration in the human, from attraction to unparalleled terror. Elora had just been... there, stood in front of him with no chase to be had, no adrenaline built, no... fun to be found.

Her blood had satisfied him, perhaps more than he had expected it to when the thought of it still dominated every fibre of his being and enveloped every one of his senses, but it wasn't how he typically chose to feed. It had been easy and kept him energised, no energy having to be exerted in the process but it didn't truly... appeal to a man like Chaos who thrived in fear; who indulged hungrily in the entire process that surrounded the act of feeding itself.

He preferred to do so at night, under cover of darkness. It had been hunting time for him when the skies blackened and the moon appeared from behind the clouds, the enigmatic figure rarely seen by those in the town at the time other than on those dark, chilly nights, where he could be witnessed abandoning the warmth of his home in favour of the cobbled streets. Despite the rumours that surrounded him, despite the wariness that followed his presence, who couldn't help but be drawn in by the eyes that seemed to pierce the darkness itself? The flash of a smile beneath the lamp-posts? The touch of a hand upon the soft skin of a human's as Chaol devoted his attention to them?

And then they were brought crashing back to earth from such dream-like reveries when they realised the gentleman they were with had only malevolent intent, his victims often finding themselves struggling to breathe when his hand found their throat-- before his fangs pierced the skin and drained them dry.

Some were left alive to wander aimlessly, disorientated and their mind a blank, but some, the unfortunate few who Chaol saw no need to spare, were left to bleed out under the light of the moon, their murderer free to casually stroll away and back to the call of his home as though a sickening crime hadn't been committed by his very hand.

He wasn't sure what he planned to do with Francine at first. He knew better than to kill her in broad daylight, but there were still avenues he could venture down that intensified the fun he derived from the act itself. Did he want to simply feed and allow her to wander back to her friend, or did he first want to terrify her; make her fear for her life and allow her a few seconds to flee, to feel as though she was free of his grasp, before stepping out in front of her and drinking in the dawning realisation that her life was entirely in his hands?

In the end, as desirable as it might have been to make a swift return to his past behaviour and satisfy himself fully after a lifetime locked away, Chaol practised self-restraint. If he wanted to enjoy the hunt, it was best to do so as he had in the past - under the cover of the night, amongst the shadows. As arrogant as he was, there was too much risk in operating in daylight in a crowded town centre, and so he held back. With the human in his arms, he chose only to take enough from her as he could without causing her to grow light-headed or faint. Her screams muffled by the hand to her mouth, Chaol indulged greedily in as much of the blood as he allowed himself to before tearing himself from her proximity, a moment's eye contact and a few muttered words being all that needed to commence for her mind to become a blur, the actions over the last few minutes after he led her to the alley and pressed in close forgotten under the shroud of fog that descended.

And then... that was that. Francine, dazed, pale but otherwise okay, adjusted the collar of her jacket to conceal her neck without truly knowing why she felt obligated to do so - another quiet command from Chaol that she was helpless to resist. She paused before they could part to offer him a smile, one so full of naivety and sweetness that Chaol found it both endearing and infuriating, as well as her number, scrawling the digits down on a spare napkin and handing it over to the statuesque vampire with the hope that he would respond to her; that their brief encounter would have some longevity.

And, as surprised as he was by it, Chaol intended to honour the request.

Wasn't it smart if he had someone on standby to come to his home when he felt a bit peckish? Someone whose blood he knew to be pure and fulfilling?

With a grin, pleased with how well things had gone, Chaol slipped into the cafe and casually took his seat opposite Elora. Though his shirt remained free of blood as a testament to his skill in feeding, and his chin and lips had been skilfully wiped clean, a drop stained his thumb from where he had held Francine's neck in his grasp - and his eyes darted to examine the missed spot in dismay.

"She's out there talking to her friend, quite well and at ease, so rid yourself of those lines in your forehead, Elora - worrying that I would kill that girl at midday really is a waste of your time and energy. It would hardly be smart of me if I put myself at risk like that, would it? Francine is fine. Provided me with this mobile phone number of hers," he murmured as he tossed the napkin onto the table for emphasis, a small smile arriving to his lips in amusement, proud of himself for having adjusted to the new world enough to understand what the numbers provided to him were for - and recalling what a phone was named without seeking Elora's clarification beforehand.

It was a small step, but one in the right direction. One that suggested he may be able to exist independent of Elora's help sooner than he thought.

...Though he wasn't quite sure if he ought to be happy about that or listen to the slight ache that tugged at his heart at thinking of his life without Elora in it.

"She's quite a sweet girl, really. Irksomely energetic, and those giggles do become rather grating on the ear, but otherwise rather nice. I may consider her a frequent snack to feast upon in between full meals. It's rather handy to have someone readily available to sustain me when I feel a light hunger setting in - and though you would fit the bill, I need you at full strength, with all your energy. So rest assured, dear Elora, you will not be feasted upon by me if I can help it."

By the time Chaol got back to Elora, she had just got her drink and ordered her food. The woman absent-minded as she stared out the window. Her elbow propped on the table, her chin tucked into the palm of her hand. With her legs crossed, Elora kept shaking her left leg which was over the top of her right knee. Completely unaware of the fact that she was fidgeting. Unaware of the tension that held her captive as she watched the public pass by.

Why she was worried, Elora didn't really understand it. Chaol could handle himself just fine. Surely some girl, captured by his allure, wouldn't give him any problems. No, she was probably captivated by him, allowing Chaol to do whatever he pleased. Yet…Elora couldn't shake the unease the vampire now out of her sight. As much as it annoyed her—the man held her worry.
What if he got caught? What if there was a camera that caught his assault on the woman on film? Or perhaps a pedestrian that couldn't mind their own business filmed Chaol biting into the woman's neck. Leaving before the vampire ever felt their presence.
Were vampire hunters an actual thing? Was that something Chaol would also have to worry about? If not, should it now be something that he could be aware of?

Fighting every fleeting nudge to go find the man, Elora remained glued to her seat. Closing her eyes now as she tried to rid herself of unnecessary stress. She couldn't be like this, she couldn't make herself unnecessarily sick over a man that could care less about her. Chaol just needed her to show him the world, it was nothing more and nothing less. Despite those little moments, those small touches the vampire gave…Elora tried to make herself believe that it meant nothing.

Chaol was going to keep being Chaol. He was going to flirt with anyone he could. Acting as an anglerfish—drawing innocents to his light, stealing their life before they even realized what had happened. He was going to do it tonight, while Elora stayed within the confines of her home. She couldn't worry herself over it—it would be something she would, unfortunately, have to grow accustomed to.

Fortunately, Elora did not have to dwell too long on her thoughts. The sound of a chair skidding against concrete grabbing her attention. Peeling her eyes open, Elora registered Chaol in her eyesight. Removing her hand from her chin and elbow from the table, the woman shifted her body upright to give him her attention once more.
The vampire obviously pleased with himself. Claiming her nerves by informing her that the woman was still alive and back with her friend.

To her surprise, the vampire was rather clean, aside from the bit of blood that stained his thumb. Elora would have missed it if it wasn't for the vampire's quick glance. "Well…I'm happy to hear you held back restraint." Elora hummed. Though her entertainment seemed to die down once he brought up the napkin. Haphazardly tossing it onto the table for his human companion to gawk at. Rising an eyebrow Elora picked it up—glancing it over as she did so. Her eyes pausing to note the little heart the woman had drawn.

A pathetic attempt to look cuter, more innocent than she clearly was.

It was all…

Disgusting.

"Oh…well that's nice isn't it." Resisting the urge to get up and throw the napkin away, Elora placed it back down, using her pointer and middle finger to push it back to Chaol. "I suppose we should get you a phone as well."

As he spoke about how nice this woman was, Elora made sure to maintain a pleasant smile as she listened—though she was mentally throwing up in her head. Constantly reminding herself that she did not care, and that this was fine. This was something she wanted…no…needed him to do.

But if that was the case, why did she feel so twisted up inside? Why did her feelings immediately become hurt when he declared he would never feast on her again? That he didn't need her for such an activity.

That it was one step from him not needing her at all.

Why did her heart hurt with that realization?

Despite her feelings, Elora laughed. Leaning back on her chair as if to relax. "Well, I'm glad I can take 'human juice box' off my occupation now."

Before more could be said, a waiter approached with her food, pausing as he took note of Chaol. "Oh I see your friend has made it, is there anything I can get for you, sir?" He questioned. "I can get a menu for you if you need a moment."

Sitting Elora's food down, the woman smiled up at the man giving a small shake of her head. "He ate before he got here. Couldn't wait." Elora chuckled.

"Oh…alright well if you need anything don't hesitate to ask." As he walked off Elora was more than happy to dig into her chicken salad sandwich she had ordered. Perhaps some food in her system would rid of her the souring mood—and the knot that sat uncomfortably in the pit of her stomach.

If he was honest, Chaol didn't know what to expect from Elora when he sat down at the table and proceeded to (smugly) provide her with a few details - nothing too specific, but at least enough to put any of her worries at ease because ultimately, he imagined that that was the prevailing emotion currently occupying her thoughts. Concern, whether that be for Chaol specifically or for the danger he could drag her into through her undeniable association with him.

And he understood the latter. He might ridicule her fear over it, mock her in his signature deep drawl that such concerns were unwarranted when he was as old and subsequently as much of an expert as he was, but he understood why she would be consumed by worry over any attention he might inadvertently bring in their direction. Unlike Chaol, who had had decades upon decades to wade through the initial worry he had over his crimes being discovered and pinned to him with irrefutable evidence, she was new to the world he had introduced her to through his presence and association.

Before him, he imagined she was a citizen who was perfectly law-abiding; someone who went about their life, adhering wholeheartedly to society's expectations. She certainly wasn't someone who had ever knowingly interacted with a vampire, let alone someone who had to turn a blind eye to the crimes that said vampire would commit in the desire to sustain his never-ending bloodlust - but now she was. Now she was thrown into the chaos that Chaol could unleash at any given moment, would always be on edge fearing that a knock at the door would be from the police, enquiring about a body they had found and were able to link to Chaol - and subsequently drawing Elora into the crime through her refusing to have done anything to prevent it.

Of course, Chaol deemed himself far too smart to ever be caught. He was certainly smart enough to realise that the modern age probably brought with it a great advancement for the police when collecting evidence together... but he refused to be fearful; refused to accept that he had to adjust his behaviour to prevent capture. No, he considered himself too capable, too advanced, to ever be caught - and thus, Elora's potential fear over it was something he found endearing but completely unnecessary. When he wasn't mocking it, he would at least attempt to put her worries to bed; reassure her with confident tones that she had no need to ever fear for herself or for him.

Regardless if things did end up going badly and the worst was to happen, nobody was going to land Elora in any trouble.

Because when she was helping him as much as she was, assisting him in his adjustment to modern life, the least he could do for her in return was spare her from harm and ensure her life continued with as much security as possible. It was why he was intent on shielding her from witnessing him feeding; why he didn't care to put her in harm's way.

Though he was also motivated by the strength of his feelings for her. As keen as he was to deny it, the emotions existed and convinced him not to treat Elora like a common human; someone disposable whose pain thrilled him.
No, she was... special and a worthy exception to his usual rule regarding humans.
Even if he would rather stick pins into his eyes than admit to that out loud.

Caught up in his feelings for a moment, he only succeeded in breaking from them when he considered the actual energy at the table. Though he could sense Elora's relief at knowing Chaol had fed discretely and kept the human girl alive, palpable in its expulsion from her body, there was still something in her expression that drew him in, lit his curiosity and ultimately irked him when he couldn't quite put a finger on what the tightness in her jaw and the slight frown on her lips was indicative of.

He could simply ask her outright, of course - but then he would have to admit that he cared about how she felt and, for obvious reasons, the vampire didn't care to have his fondness for her illuminated so clearly.

"...I was quite fond of chicken when I was human. Chicken a la crème with dauphinoise potatoes and honeyed vegetables-- a rather overly rich meal, but I would devour it happily with a glass of red wine every night. I rather miss it now-- proper food," he murmured as his eyes settled on the sandwich absently, a faint smile tugging at his lips at how tempting it genuinely looked.

But however tempting, he would only be violently sick if he took so much as a bite from it-- past experience when he had first been turned and had to learn everything by himself without guidance had told him as much.

"But I'd only vomit all over you if I was to actually eat something so it's best I avoid it, don't you think?" Grinned Chaol as he rested his chin on his palm, deciding to ignore the other's tense energy and proceed forward with the conversation as though he hadn't noticed it.

Out of sight, out of mind.

"With that in mind, do... try to refrain from making too many recipes that include garlic. I don't care to let you in on all of my weaknesses, but if we are to share a home, I do think it's worthwhile mentioning how utterly revolting I find garlic to be these days-- it pains me to be near it, to smell it, and I imagine it'd burn my insides if I had to take it in for too long, so... here's your one and only warning, Elora. No -or very little- garlic in the house, I think that's a fair request."

Even if Choal had asked the young woman what was wrong, questioned the tension that rested unknowingly on her face, Elora would have denied it. Coming up with any and every excuse, simply to avoid the truth of the matter.

Elora felt jealous, intimidated, unneeded now that the vampire had a little side piece. Though those feelings were unjustifiable. Why should she feel any of that when he was a complete stranger? Why should she be concerned with her placement at the vampire's side when she literally had no reason to.
It's not as though she had known this man for years. Pining for his love that always seemed out of reach. Elora barely knew the man, so there was no reason to feel so strongly for him. Nor was there a reason for her to be so disgruntled by the fact that he had someone else to suck the life from.

Honestly, she should be happy about it. Elora wouldn't have to worry about her neck being sore, or covering up the bruising from his bites. Nor would she have to take any supplements just to maintain a healthy balance.

No, this was a good thing.

Wasn't it?

Thankfully Chaol did not question it, simply changing topics. Talking of the food he use to eat when he was human. Elora was just about to suggest they find a place that sold his fancy little rich boy meal, however, the suggestion died before it could even leave her lips.
The vampire quickly explaining that it would only cause him to vomit if he ate any human food.

Then, without prompting the man spoke of how garlic was an irritant to the vampire's system. The woman rising an eyebrow and making a mental note of such a thing. "Hmmm count yourself lucky, I was just about to order something with garlic." Elora chuckled.

"But yes, I do believe that is a fair request. It's basically like having a food allergy. I'll make sure to look at ingredients from now on and check if they are garlic free." The small woman hummed. Though…if she was feeling really spiteful towards the man, she might just use it to bother him. Despite it being like a food allergy she was sure it wasn't that severe…right? He wouldn't die from being around it..it would just be more irritating then not.

"Do you want to go home after this? I probably have a spare phone you could use to text your little girlfriend until we can get you a proper one." Grinning Elora moved to take a sip of her drink, before speaking once again. "I could also use a nap myself. I want to stay up late tonight and get caught back up on my shows."

If she had to be honest however, Elora was going to try her best to stay up that night simply to wait for the vampire to return. She wasn't sure just how long he would be out, nor did she know in what state he would return it. Either way, some part of her wanted to greet him upon his return.
Once she was finished with her meal, Elora was happy to pay the check, leaving a generous tip. Once her card was returned the small woman picked up the bag from under the table, standing up and stretching ever so slightly.

"You ready to go back home?"

Was she... jealous?

It wasn't a consideration that Chaol had made at first. He had noticed how she appeared at the napkin displaying the love heart alongside Francine's number with disinterest and then with disdain, his eyes taking in how she could barely allow herself to place more than a fingertip upon the paper to slide it back over to him, but that didn't necessarily mean anything. It would have been easy to look into her movements and place meaning onto them, but other possibilities were just as likely as her being jealous were - and if he was honest, Chaol didn't want her to be jealous.

Because that would mean she had fostered feelings for him and when his own was growing in strength, the last thing either of them needed was to... act on them. Perhaps there was nothing wrong in finding a new love in the modern age, particularly if those feelings were reciprocated strongly-- but past experience had proven to the vampire that however amazing the feeling of finding love was, the heartbreak it caused was agonising and, sadly, inevitable.

Because, just like Athanasia, Elora was mortal, vulnerable. She would die one day and then Chaol would be left overwhelmed with grief, heaving with the weight of his despair.

And enduring it once with Athanasia's parting was bad enough.

He couldn't comprehend having to endure it all over again if Elora was to die--

But those were meaningless worries because she would never be his partner; she would never be at his side, sharing loving glances and taking in his embrace. Chaol couldn't allow for that to happen, however drawn he felt to her.

So even if sarcastic remark about Francine being his girlfriend caused him to question whether her envy existed or not, he refused to pay it thought. If he ignored it and refused to ask the questions, he couldn't be fearful, frantic, over the answers they provided.

"Yes, I suppose I've had quite enough of the town for today-- until tonight, but at least the crowd will have dissipated by then," remarked the vampire as he rose effortlessly from the chair, sliding the napkin into his pocket with every intention to honour Francine's wish and dial her number-- when he figured out how to do just that, anyway.

He had always intended to keep in contact with the woman, to use her to satisfy his blood lust whenever it was more convenient of him to deal with a house call rather than venture out and feed from someone entirely new. He had already put in work with Francine (however little time had actually been spent drawing her into him) so why would he start all over again from scratch with someone new? Elora might turn her nose up at his closeness with Francine, but it was necessary; a move that made far too much sense to ignore.

It didn't mean he was going to engage in anything romantic with the girl, however pretty and sweet he found her to be - because above all else, Chaol harboured a disdain for humanity and would gladly shut himself off from it all if they didn't offer him what he needed to survive-- with their hungry gazes and longing for him being a nice bonus on top of it.

And besides, if having Francine at his beck and call helped to keep Elora from possibly... admitting to her feelings for him, if it continued to keep that potentiality at a distance so he didn't have to contend with his own emotions and the consequences that would arise from them, the better.

"This was rather... fun though, Elora. Thank you," he offered up gratefully, deciding that a genuine thanks was earned - however at threat he was of building up a connection he was eager to avoid fostering. "I'm surprised you didn't buy anything for yourself while we were here; a pretty dress or something. You may not have a man now, but surely it is something you desire for your future, yes? A partner at your side? A marriage, a suburban house, children at your feet-- you humans are all terribly conventional and tediously predictable like that."

Jealous…

Jealous?!

Of course, Elora wasn't jealous of some woman that Chaol just met. Wasn't jealous that he was using her as a little snack to keep his bloodlust at bay. Using her only as a human juice box, as Elora had delicately put it the night before. Wasn't jealous over the prospect of some relationship that could evolve around the two once they started texting each other—-seeing one another for late-night rendezvous.

Elora wouldn't—no couldn't be bothered over the annoying pings of Chaols phone, glancing over to see him happily tapping away while she sat isolated from the conversation between the two.

As she should be isolated. Elora wouldn't be part of those conversations or inside jokes. She didn't want to be part of it. Better yet, perhaps Chaol would go and live that woman…that…Francine… after a while.

Then Elora could be alone again, have the house to herself. Enjoy the silence without having to worry about someone else being there.

She wasn't jealous. Only crazy people get jealous. Even more so when they barely knew the guy they were with! And…and she wasn't crazy! Nope, she was a perfectly sane—-mentally stable individual. Mature even, yup definitely emotionally mature. It's why she would glare at the beautiful Francine as they passed. Why she would smile pleasantly to the infuriating giggle that came when the two passed.

Why Elora did not snap that nothing was funny happening. To cease that annoying sound. Nope….Elora was better than that. She was completely and utterly sane.

What caught the woman off guard however was when Chaol thanked her for the morning out. Genuine surprise reaching her face, an actual smile now crossing her features—one that no longer held any tension. "It's not a problem. Besides you needed something more modern if you want to fit in." The small woman hummed, stopping for a brief second before crossing the street with the vampire in tow.

Though the smile quickly faded as he questioned why she didn't buy anything for herself. Questioning whether she wanted the perfect little family that every human seems to strive for.

"Well, I don't think my current home would do well in the suburbs. Too big and people would be gawking at it." Elora mused.

"Besides I like the seclusion of the woods. It was unsettling at first, but I've come to rather enjoy the welcome of rustling leaves, or the crickets and frogs. As if they are welcoming you home themselves.

Every once in a while you can also deer wander through the backyard. You can't get that in the suburbs. And you don't have to worry about people being lost and pulling into your driveway to turn around like you do in the suburbs. No…I think I quite like where I'm at. Who knows maybe people will start thinking a creepy witch lives there instead of a vampire!"

The latter of her little monologue was spoken with much ease, teasing the vampire over the rumors that had once circled him and his home. A grin falling to her face, though it didn't last wrong. Instead came a look of absolute disgust, a hard roll of her eyes as she thought about his question about having a partner, a potential husband at her side.

"I don't know what my future self wants." Came the matter-of-fact replay.

"I'll be honest. Perhaps at one point I almost had that suburban life you were speaking of. At one point I would fuss with my hair and makeup. Make myself look presentable, worry about how I looked in a dress or a cute little shirt and jeans." Surprisingly anger, a controlled rage began to flow through Elroas words. Each word seeming more frantic, more angry as she continued. As though she had been desperately needing to unleash those emotions somewhere, on someone but just never had the chance.

Still…that chance hadn't come. Because, as Elora realized just what she was saying—realized her neck was feeling hot and anger was bubbling up right to the surface, she had put an end to it. With one deep breath and a soft exhale, she forced those emotions back down. And when she finally spoke again, she was much calmer, less frantic—more level-headed.
"Like I said, I almost had it but it did not go as planned. So…I'm not sure what kind of future I want. And I've come to terms with that being okay. Perhaps I'll just be an old witch at the house on the hill. Doesn't sound too bad."

With a slight chuckle, Elora pulled her keys out of her purse. Clicking a button to unlock the doors for the two. Placing Chaols goodies in the back, the woman closed the door with a thud before climbing into the driver's seat, waiting for her vampire companion. Once he was inside and buckled up, Elora was more than happy to drive the two home.

It had been a long morning, almost late afternoon now. She desperately just wanted to crawl back into bed, perhaps take a nap and block everything else out.

Reactions: potassiumboron
Chaol realised as he watched the anger simmer away, bubbling threateningly until he was sure it would explode onto the surface, that he hadn't asked much about Elora's life before he had made an unceremonious arrival into it. He had declined to ask about her family and friends (because in all honestly, such a topic was mindless and tedious for him) and he had likewise overlooked past relationships of hers: a topic that he was more inclined to gravitate towards when his feelings for her were encroaching his mind consistently, arriving at its fore despite his best efforts to fight against them.

He struggled to believe even for a second that she hadn't had a relationship before, because someone like Elora, someone that pretty and charismatic and funny... they were often taken off the market, very rarely found to be single. If she was single, Chaol was now left to contemplate the fact that there was a reason for that; that a past breakup had occurred, perhaps relatively recent in nature, that had made enough of an impact on her that she sought solitude in a house far too big for a single person.

Unless that person was Chaol, anyway - he could gladly live in the manor's walls by himself for the foreseeable future, finding comfort in the solace it provided for him.

He could ask her about it now, of course. He could reach for her hand and offer to listen; to be the ear to whatever rant she wanted to get off her chest... but he declined to do so, instead offering a curt nod to at least show he had been listening before turning his head to peer out of the window now he was seated once again in the car for the journey home.

He didn't want to seem... rude, to dismantle the growing friendship that seemed to have blossomed because, regardless of his frequent bouts of moodiness and preference to appear indifferent to her presence, Chaol had come to... value Elora; to depend upon her in a way that extended beyond the duty he had put to her. When she was no longer needed to fulfil her responsibility to him, he already knew he would simply come up with another reason for her to stick around, rather than fulfil the promise made during their initial meeting that he would kick her from the home when her purpose came to an end.

Because that home without Elora, without her teases and mockery, without those damn smiles of hers... it didn't feel right.

He was teetering on the edge of dangerous territory, at its very precipice, but he could be friends with her without it going further. He hadn't bothered to make friends with humans in his past, harbouring a (in his mind) rational distaste of such a weak, fragile species... but there was a first time for everything. He couldn't deny that he liked Elora, but as long as he kept things platonic, as long as he simply... kept her as a friend without caving to more carnal desires, then all would be well. He could continue to lead his life and she would be a part of it, a friend he could share aspects of himself. And it would all be fine.

...Wouldn't it?

"You mock, but witches are as real as I am, Elora. Werewolves too. You do not think that vampires are the only creature to walk this mortal realm, do you? If I sit beside you, as real as I am, then you-- you're a smart woman, you must realise that vampires and humans aren't all there is to this world?" Chaol began as he approached the abrupt shift in conversation, his expression unreadable for a moment as he glanced quizzically across to her, genuine interested in the response his question posed.

A smile was quick to break on his face as, in amusement, his eyes drank in her side profile, almost seeing the thoughts fizzing in her head.

"Do relax, such creatures only crossed my path once or twice centuries ago. I highly doubt you'll have to contend with a fierce werewolf in such a crowded town, they prefer the outskirts. Mountainous, wooded areas they can disappear into on nights with the full moon. They really are quite loathsome beings, truly horrid," he grimaced as his nose turned up in disgust, the age-old belief that his kind and werewolves were one another's rivals, mortal enemies taking instantaneous dislikes to one another, seemingly true. Either that, or it was simply a display of Chaol's usual, fierce hatred of anyone that wasn't himself - and perhaps Elora now.

"Witches, meanwhile? Oh, they can be anywhere. You've probably crossed a few in the street today. I wouldn't actually know it myself, they hide what they are remarkably well," he continued to hum as he tapped his fingers against his knee. "...Witches tend not to like me, which is all the proof you need to know that they are unfathomably stupid creatures who can't see perfection even when I am flawlessly stood before them."

• Love
Reactions: LittleRabbit
It was often said that some things were better left unsaid or asked. Perhaps that was one of those moments. Whatever had happened to Elora in the past, whatever made her run away and isolate herself—is and was still affecting her. Much like a dog licking its own wounds, snapping at anyone that dared to get too close. It was possible that the woman actually did not want to talk about it. To not think about what had happened miles and miles away from her current home.
Surely, if Chaol had decided to press the matter too much, asked too many questions, the young woman would have shut down. Refusing to talk again until the topic was changed. Denying that she was angry or that anything happened. Pretending that romance disgusted her—a lie that could certainly be proven false by the number of romance books she collected and digested over the years.

Maybe right now, right then was not the best time to go asking about her personal life. Especially since the topic was oh so sensitive.

Chaol had made the right choice in changing topics. Tight hands on the steering wheel relaxing, shoulders dropping the tension that was slowly creeping back. Blue eyes going wide as Chaol insisted that witches were real as well…as so were werewolves. "You are lying!" The woman declared, looking at him from the corner of her eye to see if the vampire was metaphorically pulling her leg.
"Tell me you are lying right now."

Of course, by Chaol's tone alone the woman could deduce that every word he spoke was the truth. The reality of the situation was soon hitting her, thoughts running rampant now—wondering just how many creatures she had come across. How many people she might have accidentally offended with lame jokes of their kind?

Holy shit…was the person at the bookstore a vampire as well? What if they were judging her about the romance books she had picked up? Were they disgusted at the small kink of hers, rolling their eyes or laughing behind her back?! Should she apologize? What if they were a werewolf? Truly they would be rather repulsed by the copious amounts of vampire books she bought. THEY WEREN'T EVEN PG, THEY WERE ALL RATED R! THOSE BOOKS HELD THE MOST SMUTTY WRITING SHE HAD EVER READ?! DOES SHE HAVE NO SHAME?!

Mortified was the best way to describe her expression. Unbeknownst to him the internal struggle she was currently going through. Perhaps on the outside, it did look like she was only worried about her safety. Clearly any normal person would be more concerned with that. Perhaps a laugh that was much too loud escaped her lips as Chaol explained that he had rarely crossed paths with such creatures. "Yup…that make sense! Mhm!" Perhaps even then she was too quick to agree.

I want to die

"Maybe you can point them out…other creatures—when we are out in public. Honestly, it's a bit mind-boggling to think that…those types of things are real." Elora hummed, trying to distract her mind from all the potential embarrassment she might have suffered. "Though it's funny, you seem to really hate werewolves. There are so many stories of their kind being enemies with your kind. Oh, great idea! Let's watch Twilight together! I bet you'll get a kick out of it. It also has werewolves, but they're often getting their butt kicked." Elora laughed, her signature smile falling back to her face.

Elora couldn't help the snort that escaped her as Chaol spoke about how flawless he was, her smile only growing bigger, rolling her eyes. "Your modesty knows no bounds Chaol. Truly those witches must be blind. Or perhaps you are so amazing to them that they can't even stand to be in your presence, knowing that they will never compare to you. It's all so tragic."

If Chaol had thought for a moment, had been pleased that Elora saw and understood his view of the situation, well it would have sent the woman into a round of laughter. Something that was becoming more and more common as they spent time at one another's side. While one could perceive it as mocking, her being cruel to genuine agreement…it was hard to do so with Elora. Her laughter never holding any criticism, sounding most genuine—entertained. Enjoying the other's company, as if in some way they did indeed make her happy. As if the situation brought some kind of peace that had been missing for much too long.

Perhaps…she adored Chaol. Adored the unrelenting self-confidence of himself. Adored the smirk he would get when he believed himself right. Adored the fact that moodiness encompassed his every waking moment. Elora…was charmed—bewitched by the man. Even if she didn't mean to be, it was a frustrating connection she was desperately trying to avoid. However, every second they spent together—she felt herself being drawn further and further in.

"If I ever go camping, I'll have to make sure it's not during a full moon." Elora hummed, pulling back up the rocky path to their home. "Oh I bet you would love camping…well—no actually I don't think you would. I don't think your delicate body could handle sleeping in a tent, or much more the ground."

He wasn't sure what reaction his revelation would bring, but the extent of the panic on display wasn't something he had anticipated. Most normal people would have reacted to the news with fear, distrust beginning to claw its way through them as they undoubtedly began to question whether they could walk past anyone in the street again and not find themselves contemplating what they were - and whether they intended to do them harm or not.

But Elora had already proven to him that she was unpredictable, reacting to situations he thought were clear-cut in surprisingly bewildering ways. Their first meeting was the greatest piece of evidence he had to justify labelling her was unpredictable when, rather than fly back from him in an effort to escape the clutches of a man who had bore fangs and had risen from a confined chest, she had entertained a conversation, ultimately leaving the basement with him a handful of minutes later-- after he had drained her blood from her veins at that.

She hadn't screamed, sworn, fought violently against the fate of being tied to a self-declared monster.

No, she had... accepted it with remarkable ease, going as far as to engage with Chaol in ways that encouraged humour, involved kindness, suggested... friendship.

She wasn't normal, she didn't act as he would typically expect.

And he wouldn't dare change that because he... he liked it.

He furrowed his brow and dared a glance outside the window when he was sure he had the faint feeling of carsickness under control, because he needed to take in a scene that wasn't dominated by Elora's expression - because he found the panic, the bewilderment, too adorable to take in for longer than a few seconds at a time. He didn't think but rather knew that he would end up resting a hand upon her knee, encourage her to bring the vehicle to a stop so he could longingly meet her gaze and--

Stop it stop it stop it.

"If we do come across a werewolf, then I'll be sure to mention it because I won't want to be within six feet of them. They truly are the worst, Elora. If this Twilight has documented their sheer stupidity, their horrendous clan mentality, their ridicule-worthy statures... then it is something I fully intend to watch with you. I do not need to be convinced to watch anything that accurately derides werewolves as the mindless, dumb beasts that they are. Oh, it will be fun," grinned Chaol as, like an excitable child, he found himself laughing under his breath in his enthusiasm - however naive he was to how the movie presented his kind. Frankly, for Elora's sake, it was better he didn't find out until faced with it, because the anger, mingled with confusion and disbelief, would perhaps cause a laughter in her she wouldn't be able to cease that easily.

It had been a long, long time since he last thought about the other species that had once made their home in the woodlands beyond the present-day town, with his life back then being inundated with the constant howls that echoed eerily in the town - they alarmed the human citizens who feared that simple wolves were present out amongst the foliage, oblivious to the werewolves that existed there, but to Chaol, the noises were reminders of how loathsome the creatures were.

Because how could he see them as anything but annoyances when they conspired to constantly ruin his peace with their ridiculous howling?

Of course, his hatred was also spurred by uneasy fear. Humans had weapons against him, from their stakes to their holy crosses, but he was too quick for them most the time so their acts of defence rarely ever concerned him - but werewolves were capable of tearing him to shreds. They were fast, unfathomably strong and if there was one around, Chaol knew there would be others because they worked, lived and existed in packs.

While he was... often alone in his manor, an easy target should they ever seek to take him out of the equation.

It was partly why he was glad that the town had risen from its once sparsely populated state. As disheartening as its growth was, every cloud had a silver lining - the werewolves that once took their home in the woods, freely moving around the village in its empty state, could hardly do so now when the town was bustling, full of buildings and people. He hoped they had retreated to somewhere more isolated, leaving him to enjoy his peace in his manor without enduring their noise, their scent, their... threat.

"Witches are more subtle, I can't recognise one on appearance alone. Werewolves are easy, they smell of rain and earth. But witches have always been a more difficult species for me to pinpoint - but my excellence knows no bounds, I'm sure I'll manage it when I cross paths with one," he hummed smugly as he departed the vehicle, glancing up at the sight of his home in pride. No matter how many decades he had spent living in the same home, within the same walls, this was his sanctity. This was his castle and he its Lord - and he would gladly dedicate centuries more to it.

"Elora, I know your humour is rather wicked, but you are not a stupid girl. What is it about camping that you think a Lord like me would find enjoyable? I desire comfort, luxury, grandeur. Not living out in the elements, struggling without basic amenities. No, that is more werewolf behaviour-- those dogs would love that," he remarked cuttingly, the venom beneath the retorts far from subtle - because why would he care to disguise the sheer hatred, the poisonous vitriol, that the species brought out in him?

"My body truly is a temple and I intend to honour it. It requires comfortable mattresses, silk sheets, goose-feather pillows. Look at me, Elora--" He paused to gesture a hand down his body, his eyes locking upon hers to take in her reaction. "Do you not think this body deserves to be spoiled with the very finest things this world has to offer it? And yet you suggest camping, my god... the horror of merely envisioning such an experience sickens me."

• Love
Elora found it nearly impossible to hide the smirk that graced her face. More than amused at the vampire's intense disgust for werewolves. Taking note of the absolute hate he had for them—how prejudiced he was against the Lycan kind. Though, it made her wonder how many run-ins he has had with the wolves. Perhaps there was more to his dislike of them than she was aware of—something she would eventually have to poke at.

Even it's just to simply get the vampire wound up—for her own little sick amusement.

That grin only grew wider as he spoke about watching the Twilight series with her, excitement growing in the pit of her stomach—though she refused to show it. If she became too excited, too ecstatic—then she was sure Chaol would know she had an alternative motive for wanting him to watch the movie.
Truthfully, Elora hated the series as a whole. Perhaps young, 12-year-old Elora adored it at one time. But growing up, re-watching it in its entirety—understanding the characters better and the world setting. To put it nicely…it was horrible. Now it was more of a guilty pleasure, watching it for a good laugh, and she was sure Chaol would give her the biggest laugh.

She could already picture the outrage, the disgust for how they portrayed the vampires. Confusion as to why they were glittering—perhaps wondering if the vampires were getting ready to combust. Outraged by a vampire and werewolf fighting over some girl with hardly any personality. Oh…it was going to be grand.

Glancing over she caught sight of the grin that befell the man. For a moment she could only stare at the childish enthusiasm he seemed to display. Laughing under his breath, looking absolutely adorable to her. Elora almost felt bad that she was going to disappoint him so much—ruin his happiness that revolves around hating werewolves. However…the images in her mind reassured her it would be worth it.
She couldn't back out now.

Besides, she doubted that Chaol would even let her try and stop them from watching it.

"You know some people like the smell of earth and rain. They say it's a really nice and relaxing scent. They have a word for it too, it's petrichor. Maybe I can find some candles that smell similar. Have our whole house smell like it." The younger woman teased.

Elroa was more than content to get out of the car and grab the bags from the back. Her mood lifting once more now that they were out of Francine's vicinity. But she wasn't jealous—not in the slightest.
For a moment she had stopped simply to admire Chaol, his back turned to her for a few moments. The woman allowing herself to admire his form, the way the light caught in his hair. Secretly wishing that could be her touching soft locks once more—entwining with her fingers absentmindedly, or by the fistfuls in the bed—

WHAO

WHAO

TO FAR

ELORA WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?! You are quite literally lusting after a LEECH! Does your shame know bounds? Are you that desperate, that horny. You are a freak. You are a shameless harlett. For fucks sake, go to church—repent you demon of a child. Hell Jesus himself probably couldn't save you now!

Sirens whirled in Elora's mind, breaking her more scandalous thoughts before they could start. The woman mentally kicking herself, yelling at herself for the indecency that had encompassed her thoughts. Thankfully she did not have too much time to dwell on thoughts that made her face red and the tips of her ears burn. Chaol saved her with his own odd bit of humor…or at least it was humorous to her—demanding why she would ever think a renowned figure like him could even go camping.
Unfortunately for him, the light of mischief became caught in the woman's eyes. The corners of her mouth turning up in a fox-like grin—he could see her mind ticking away at how to annoy the creature next.

Their eyes locking, the woman rising an eyebrow for a brief moment. With a gentle hum, Elora broke their contact—circling the man. Her eyes wondering him up and down as she thought about his question. As if she was really comprehending his question—not stalling or building up unnecessary suspense.

Coming to a stop in front of the vampire once more, locking her eyes with his. Trying desperately hard not to get too lost in them, get too attached or bashful by his gaze.

Answering his question with a slight fondness. "Being in nature can be nice. Gazing at the moon and stars. Listening to the owls and crickets until they lure you to sleep. Possibly swimming at a lake if you are lucky to be near one—spending time with someone special or just a couple of friends. Makingmemories. I would say cooking hotdogs and making s'mores makes it all worth it—however, seeing as you couldn't eat any of that I assume it would make camping less appealing."

There was a small pause, the woman's muscles tensing as she got ready to make her escape.

"But Chaol—if you are just boring you could have simply said that." With a laugh, Elora moved to dash away from the vampire—taking off inside the house before he could get another word in.

When Chaol was known for clinging to his own moodiness as though it was a blanket to surround himself within (which, in many ways, it was), then anything that stood to dent its strength and deter him from his chosen path was inevitably viewed with suspicion. It was partly why he was trying as hard as he was to fend off the growing fondness for Elora, however futile the effort seemed to be when he couldn't rid himself of her company and thus seemed destined to develop a friendship with her.

The fact he had come to that realisation and resigned himself to it bewildered him, but at least it spared him the headache of fighting off the connection that was brewing between him and the human.

Now, if only he could fend off the romantic nature of those feelings--

However inclined he was to lean into his stoicism and deeply cynical nature, he wasn't invulnerable to it shifting and softening. Athanasia had succeeded in that endeavour, proving to herself, to him and to the village at large that the miserable man who locked himself away in his manor for all hours of the day was capable of smiling, of laughing, of accepting kindness and offering it up in return. Her love had opened his heart up to those new experiences, and though he was determined to keep it locked up after her passing to prevent himself the pain that her death had caused, how could he turn a blind eye to Elora's continual... humour?

To that laughter that he replayed over and over in his mind?

To the smile that he adored in its brightness?

To the way her eyes sparkled mischievously whenever she uttered a tease and knew the response it would grant her?

Perhaps it was his growing fondness of her that caused it, but Chaol genuinely found himself contemplating the idea of camping out in the elements when Elora made it all sound so... peaceful; so scenic. She also made it sound romantic, with his mind conjuring up images of them beneath the blanket of twinkling stars, huddled beside a fire and gazing into one another's eyes--

But for obvious reasons, he was quick to shake his head free of those specific images.

Fortunately, a distraction arrived in the form of the insult flung in his direction, albeit one playful and coated in a tilting lilt. Initially, Chaol cursed himself for not preparing for the playfulness - it had become standard between them to throw remarks and grin wildly as they awaited the fallout the reaction would encompass, so for the vampire to lose himself to his contemplations and allow Elora to have the freedom to throw a teasing quip at him without preparing himself a defence against it in advance?

Oh, he was mortified.

It didn't help that he found himself reacting as awkwardly as he did - rooted to the spot, mouth dropping open and lips shutting as he seemingly struggled to find the words to snap back at her; words that had come so easily to him before but now faltered at the tip of his tongue, undercut by the sight of a smile that, evidently, rendered him entirely speechless.

But he was quick to recoup his composure and regain his focus, moving swiftly, in the blink of a human eye, to stand in the entryway and blocking her emergence into the home. Arms folding, he delighted in the height difference, using it to his advantage as he took a step forward to loom over her.

"If I am so boring Elora, then do explain why you have laughed so often in my presence? Even if you are laughing at me, rather than with me, I still claim that as evidence that I am entertaining to you, rather than some tedious bore who you tire of. No, no, I... am quite certain, dearest Elora, that you enjoy my company. You are quite mad to do so, to grow comfortable around a vampire you know can tear you to shreds, but... I think I would hate it if you were normal," he confessed after a moment, his lips pulling to the side as his eyes drifted down her in another bout of contemplation. "...Yes, you're rather odd, but... so am I, aren't I? I suppose we can be odd together."

• Love
If Elora would have waited a few moments, hesitated on running away—perhaps she would have caught Chaol slacked jawed. Would have taken a strong delight in leaving him dumbfounded, to the point she would be laughing—doubled over tell the vampire through pained laughs"She had gotten him good." If only she had waited those two precious seconds, she could have basked in that moment.
However, she did not—afraid that the man would have something snapper, something better to say. Afraid he would roll his eyes and just blow her tease off. Or perhaps…she was hopeful that he would give chase. That way Elora could slam the front door shut—lock him out, refusing to let Chaol in until he guessed a password he would have no reason to know.

She would annoy him. Taunt the man—laughing until finally relenting and letting Chaol into the house. Taking delight in his complaining, not taking any of his threats seriously.

Why wouldn't she take them seriously?

What surprised the woman, however, is never hearing the vampire move. The sound of crunching the rocks under his feet as he gave chase—yet within a second she was running right smacked dab into the vampire. The smaller human took a step back just as the vampire moved forward. Towering over her petite frame. Shock, bewilderment, and a small hint of mischief still—reflected her emotions all at once.
"How did you—" the woman started, but was cut off as Chaol began his accusations. Elora could feel a tad sting of annoyance filter through her being as Chaol called her out for the laughter—for the vast enjoyment he brought to her. Annoyed that she simply could not deny it—even if she did it would be a weak denial. There was no hiding the fact that she was coming to adore the man before her—highly amused by his questions, the way he spoke or would word things. Adored the insufferable self-confidence she could only strive for.

No…Chaol was special—different in so many ways. No, he never bored her. Instead, Chaol was always taking the woman by surprise. Even now, she was still amused by the man.

Perhaps a little flustered as he called her 'dearest Elora' a small statement that surely meant nothing, yet she found her heart fluttering.

For a brief second Chaol would find her face softening, something akin to admiration reaching her features. A soft, tender smile falling to her face as the vampire spoke of the two being odd together. "I think I like that idea…being odd together. It will certainly make life more interesting." Elora hummed.
"I know you can tear me to shreds in a matter of seconds. But—I have a suspicion you won't ever do that."

Perhaps it was Elora being cocky, to think she was so important to the man that he would never kill her, never hurt her. Or perhaps it was just a blind trust in Chaol that he wouldn't—however stupid that might be. The man was unpredictable, unstable—yet she couldn't shake the feeling that he was trustworthy, reliable. Those feelings might have stemmed from the few letters she had read between Chaol and his lover. For someone to care for such a cruel seeming killer. To love him so intensely, so passionately. Elora was confident this big, scary vampire couldn't be all that bad.

"You 'have a suspicion' that I wouldn't tear you apart? That my bloodlust won't become so intense, so terribly tempting, that I find the call to rip your throat apart too loud to ignore? Are you quite sure, quite confident, about that, Elora?" Taunted Chaol as he tilted his head back, brow arched as if genuinely seeking a reply from her - because in truth, in spite of the teasing nature that cocooned his words, the vampire struggled to fully fathom how Elora could possibly be fully comfortable in the presence of a monster; someone who not only spoke of killing as though it was an acceptable use of his time but someone whose strength she had experienced firsthand when he held her in his arms and fed from her throat.

If familiarity had built up over a little time, then he would be more inclined to believe that she felt confident that she would be spared his violence; that she was secure in sharing her space with him without fearing endlessly for her life... but even then, surely the wisest of people would always harbour a little wariness, aware that even if he tried his hardest to fight against his natural instincts, there would always be a chance that that strength would fade and he caved to his temptations?

Even with Athanasia, with the intensity of the passion and the love they had shared, he had always assumed that she reserved a little wariness around him. He never asked her outright if that was the case, and he hoped that she never held herself back from him when their romance had helped him to open in ways he never thought himself capable of, but he couldn't deny the possibility that she had been smart and reserved a little of herself in case she needed to be prepared to fight against him if his clear sense of mind and self deserted him in favour of his monstrousness.

If Elora was smart, she would proceed with that reservation in place; that innate wariness over a man whose charm could only disguise his predatory viciousness so much... but he did get the feeling, however bewildering it was, that the human meant every word when she boldly claimed that she felt he wouldn't hurt her. He wanted to openly mock her for such a belief, to ridicule her for her naivety and stupidity even, but... part of him felt fondly for it.

Because nobody placed that belief in him; nobody thought he was capable of exhibiting strength and protecting those he care for.

Nobody besides Athanasia.

And now Elora.

Fuck--

None of this was helping ward off the romantic feelings towards Elora.

Deciding not to mock her, or even place too much emphasis on trying to instil fear into her for her own good, Chaol snorted and stood back from her, the moment of looming ominously over her breaking alongside the heavy atmosphere - because while he initially wanted to encourage her to be wary and not fall for him, the belief she placed in him undercut such a desire. It had been decades since he felt that warmth from someone, and though it was perplexing that a woman he had known for less than a full day was the one to provide it for him, nothing changed the fact that she had.

"...We'll have to see, won't we? I can't make any promises, but I'll do my best not to break you apart-- it'd be quite a shame if these floorboards found themselves stained again, given how much work has gone into restoring them to their former glory. No, the one motivation I have not to tear you to shreds is a matter of sparing the floors and walls of becoming stained with your blood," he hummed as he stepped into his home, eyeing the floorboards beneath his feet for emphasis.

Of course, the main motivation not to hurt Elora was simply the fact he didn't want to cause her pain. He wanted to see her vibrant and full of life, which was also why he chose to resist feeding from her--

But he couldn't admit to that without being ridiculed for 'going soft'.

No, better to pretend it was the sake of the floorboards that motivated him, even if he uttered the words with a teasing grin to ensure she didn't take him too seriously.

"Now, I'm going to take a little nap, if that's alright. It's amazing, really - I've spent entire decades locked in a cramped box, with nothing to do other than sleep, and yet I find myself exhausted and yearning for my bed covers after a mere hour outside. But nonetheless, I'm tired so don't be too loud, hm? If you think I'm grumpy now, you don't want to know how miserable I can be when I'm disturbed from my slumber, Elora."

"I mean…I am not saying it's impossible that you could or would kill me. Anyone is capable of doing such a thing, but I believe that you won't." Elora hummed. "You could have killed me in the basement last night, this morning, or even in my sleep. But you haven't. I was your first drink in centuries, you could have easily given into your bloodlust and drained me then, or left me for dead. Yet, you were able to control it. Even today, you held remarkable control over your bloodlust.
You can be a tad bit annoying, frustrating even, but you haven't been physically violent towards me. Not in ways they would suggest you'd off me in seconds or that you plan to. So until you give me a reason, until you prove me wrong—I am going to hold onto that suspicion."

While it was easy to appear smug, the human reading the vampire as she did. Elora could have taunted him for letting her stay alive, dismiss the rumors of him being cruel in the past when he has yet to display such characteristics—Elora did not. Her words came out warm, almost matter-of-factly. Flowing from her mouth as easily as explaining why the sky was blue, or how butterflies were made. As though she had already seen parts of Chaol, understood parts of him that many people had missed.
Perhaps it was easier for her. She did not during his terror, did not fully comprehend the dark reign he once held over this town—she had yet to see that monstrous side that many others had witnessed. The most she had seen from this man was the moodiness of a spoiled teenager, the confidence of a renowned God, and the charm of a player. No…she had yet to discover a reason as to why she should fear the man before her. A reason as to why she should cower and pray for her life every chance she had.

It wasn't that she did not believe Chaol was capable of killing her, or anyone actually. She fully believed he would—and understood that even tonight that could be a possibility. But she also chose to believe that there was a good part of Chaol. That he wasn't a mindless monster—that he was still human despite being a creature of the night. So far…he has proven that theory right.
Even with the vampire looming over her, with the oppression of thickening air, the heaviness of his question weighing her down—her feelings stayed true.

Of course, Chaol couldn't just let her theory slide. The man having to make up some excuse as to why he wouldn't kill her. The reasoning being he did not want to stain the floors and walls of his home with her blood—that it was the one and only reason why he did not kill her.

This time he would find Elora snorting in response. A warm, teasing grin playing across her lips. "Oh, that's wonderfully considerate of you. I'm sure the house appreciates your concern." Rolling her eyes the woman placed his bag of clothing into his hands. "Go take your nap, old man. I'll try my best to stay quiet. I'll see you when you wake up."

Of course, Elora was more than happy to let the vampire rest. The moment giving her time to herself, to reflect on that morning and just what she had got herself into. Though…the woman couldn't say she minded it. Even as she cleaned the dining room of her spilled food, or pulled the weeds from the garden out back—those mindless tasks honestly made her happy. Happier than what she had felt in a very, very long time. Perhaps the happiness stemmed from the fact that she was not alone anymore. That, even if her safety was hanging by a thread, someone else now co-existed with her.

The alone time she was given allowed Elora to reflect on the vampire and…unfortunately her feelings towards him. Perhaps, just like anyone else who crossed Chaol's path, Elora was just smitten by him. It was impossible to say she…cared deeply for the man. That she actually loved him after such a short, forceable time together.
It was possible she was just lonely and he was the first, actual person she had spent time with in this town. Even if that was simply because he needed to be shown the modern world and not because he actually wanted to spend time with her, or get to know her. That might have been the reason she latched on to the man so tightly

As of now, they were only together as a means of convenience for Chaol. She was sure that one day soon he would up and leave her, or he would force her out of his manor. Reclaiming the home as his own. Elora was sure that her heart would stop fluttering to those charming smiles and teasing words the vampire often threw. That she would grow use to them the more time went on.
She was sure these feelings she had for him was simply infatuation, nothing more.

Nonetheless, Elora was happy to tidy the house. To shower and get comfy once more—though this time she opted for a shirt rather than her crop top.
As time passed the young woman found herself curled up on the couch, resting under a blanket as she watched a murder mystery.

As tempted as the vampire might have been to call her back and force her to apologise for the 'old man' comment, given how it so easily and instantaneously horrified him by forcing him to consider just how old he actually was, Chaol chose instead to part and make his way to the staircase.

Perhaps it was a signifier of his age, evidence of his advancing years, but his body needed to rest. He had only had a small amount of blood since his reemergence into the world which was hardly enough to fully restore him to the strength he was accustomed to having and he knew that a generation's worth of confinement to a mere chest had hardly done his body any favours either - and he knew these factors were the prime reason for his exhaustion, for the aches in his back and the brewing migraine behind his eyes.

It wouldn't stop Elora from teasing him about how he needed to rest his old bones as though his body ought to reflect the centuries it had gone through, but he didn't expect to stop teasing him about it. Not only was he secure in the knowledge that his tiredness could be justified, but he actively wanted to hear Elora make those quips; to continue to witness her laughing with (or at) him because the sound of her laughter seemed to effectively erase any of the lingering annoyances that filled up Chaol's head. To their poison, Elora was an antidote.

And though it risked tightening a bond, fostering further feelings, Chaol knew he couldn't rid himself of it.

Of her.

Free of the task that came with maintaining a semblance of composure in the human's presence now he was alone in his bedroom, Chaol audibly exhaled, loudly and heavily, as he sunk onto his bed and ran a hand down his face. The day hadn't been disastrous, far from it - it had been emotional and a lot for him to comprehend, but he had made progress in understanding the world and that was all he could ask for.

Granted, he had also made progress in understanding how he felt for Elora and the realisation that those feelings weren't easily dismissed and in fact now had their clutches in his heart had... alarmed him, incredibly so. He wasn't sure how to comprehend the extent of them, let alone how quickly they had come to flood every fibre of his being.

But that was a problem he could contend with after his nap.

It would be a few hours before Chaol stirred from the slumber, his eyes blearily opening to the pleasurable sight of the orange skies of sunset as evening lingered on the horizon, ready to encompass the sky. At the thought of what he could do under the cover of darkness, what he needed to do to regain his strength and satisfy his urges, Chaol was quick to rid himself of the residual tiredness - he was excited, even if he wouldn't confess to such an emotion aloud, because this was his first chance to properly hunt after so many decades locked away, deprived of what came most naturally to him.

Arrogance was a trait he was inevitably associated with, even if he felt he had every right to be when he looked the way he did, but never before had it been so openly on display as he stood before the floor-length mirror to observe his appearance, his form donning the new clothes provided to him by Elora. The suit jacket fit to perfection, the undershirt on display as a button or two remained open to show it off and, after rooting around in the drawers of the bedside table and shocking himself to find they were still there, he retrieved a set of expensive cufflinks to complete the look.

Part of him almost didn't want to show Elora how he looked, preferring instead to slip out into the night without alerting her to his exit - not because he feared ridicule, but quite the opposite.

He knew she would react as any human would and he wasn't ready to see that desire in her, that approval, because he wasn't entirely sure he could hold himself back and not take her close, press his lips to hers--

Focus, damn it.

Rolling his eyes to mock himself for his fear, an emotion he felt was unnecessary and unbecoming of a vampire such as himself, he threw aside his caution and concern and trailed down the staircase, following the noise of the television into the living room to greet Elora; to show her the respect she deserved by parting for the night with a few words, rather than cowardly rush out to avoid contending with his growing feelings for her.

"Their body would later be discovered in the woods—-"

Chaol would find Elora there, completely engrossed by the tv—the story they were re-enacting. A disembodied voice discussing the tragic story of an untimely death of some woman.
Perhaps some would find it a little more than morbid to watch such a thing. Yet many like Elora were fascinated by it, hoping by the end of the episode the killer would be caught and the family could get some kind of justice.

Elora laid there, curled up on the couch, completely entertained. However, that did not last too long, her attention quickly diverting to Chaol as he walked in.
It was the squeaking of the floorboards that first alerted the woman to his presence. Sitting up, Elora turned to greet the man with a pleasant smile—opening her mouth to say something, yet no words followed.
Instead, he would find the woman glancing him up and down, taking in the sight of his new suit. Admiring how regal, sophisticated he looked—how right he had been that an odd band tee-shirt and a pair of sweat pants did not fit him.

No, Chaol possessed an older beauty, one that shinned brightest in the most exquisite of clothing. The admiration that Chaol had been worried about seeing on the woman's face came at him in full force. The approval strongly rooted on her features, impossible to hide. A slight blush followed across her cheeks, once more to the top of her ears—however before he could say anything before the vampire could slip away or tease her for such a reaction, Elora was jumping from her seat.
Eyes sparkling as she approached him without any ounce of hesitation or caution. Quickly abandoning her show in favor of showering Chaol with compliments.

"Look at you!" Came the high-pitched, breathy voice, Elora finally shaking out of her frozen state—finding her voice once more. "I hate to give you an even bigger head than you already have, but you look so handsome. You were right, if you would have tried these on at the store the employees might have devoured you!" With a short laugh, Elora looked up at the vampire, making eye contact with him once more. A bright smile falling to her face, she each word dripping with sincerity.
"Very dapper. Much better than the tee-shirt and sweat pants from before."

It would be fair to say that Elora's heart had nearly skipped a beat when he came walking into the room. Fair to say that she had fallen victim to the vampire's charm, desire having welled up in her belly after seeing him so shapely dressed. It would also be fair that she was envious of the public that got to see Chaol in such a manner that night. To gaze upon his beauty without knowing the predator that lay underneath it all.
The male could be compared to a beautiful siren, singing songs and gentle whispers to whoever was near. Promising love, passion, or riches—whatever the victim's heart was craving. Luring them to their deaths before they fully understood what had happened.

Perhaps, even Elora found herself victim to his song.
Though she was unwilling to admit it or even act on those feelings. Knowing that Chaol wouldn't stay there with her once he became comfortable in the modern world. Perhaps…for now those thoughts were also better put to rest, to be dealt with another day. To ignore the strange ache that came with them, despite barely knowing the man. Despite knowing he was going out to take a life that night—no it was much better to not think about such a thing.

"What time do you think you will be home tonight?" Elora questioned, stepping forward to smooth out a wrinkled part of his jacket. "I can try to stay up, leave the door unlocked for your return."

Surely, after watching so many gruesome shows, Elora would know better then to just leave the door unlocked at night. Allowing strangers with ill intent to infect their home, ransack it, and do Gods knows what.
If she had lived closer to town—closer to the public, then yes Elroa would be more wary about such a thing. However, living up on this hill—one believed to be haunted and forbidding by some demon, Elora was confident no one would dare to bother her.

This... This was precisely what he didn't want.

Precisely what he had feared.

This was the reaction that made Elora's desire towards him, the encroachment into her heart of an irrefutable fondness for him, abundantly evident and beyond all possible doubt. All at once, as he took in her breathless smile and awed expression, Chaol knew he had failed devastatingly in his attempts to ward Elora from him; to keep her at a distance and ensure that all her feelings towards him gravitated towards the negative, rather than the positive. It would have hurt him to see her foster fear and hatred, to regard him coldly as she briefly had done in the car that morning, but he would have justified it as being for the best.

Because as much as it would have pained him to be seen as a cold, unfeeling monster, incapable of connection and kindness, at least Elora would be able to spend her life in the cocoon of normalcy. She would be able to be like any other woman her age, not tied to the danger and the risk that encompassed Chaol's life. She wouldn't be at risk of an untimely demise like Athanasia had and, importantly, Chaol wouldn't have to live with the all-consuming despair that would arrive when he learned of her passing, knowing she would have been spared it if she just kept away from him.

It would have hurt to exist in his manor alone without her, knowing she was out in the world living her life without his presence, but he could have lived with that. He could have put aside his hurt and realised, maturely, that he had gifted her a life, rather than put her at risk of an early end to it because of her association with him and what he had to do to survive.

But that was all to go out the window now, abandoned entirely, because Chaol knew in his unbeating heart that he couldn't tear himself of Elora's company.

That she was destined to remain in the manor, in his presence, for as long as she desired it.

That his feelings for her were probably just as strong as the ones she possessed for him, if her open display of admiration and the yearning beneath it all was anything to go by.

In response to the question about his return time, Chaol thought for a moment before simply replying with: "Late."

Because he didn't want her to wait up for him, spending the time pondering his activities and inevitably coming to meet him at the door when he returned - because he couldn't guarantee he wouldn't be stained with blood, chest still heaving as his adrenaline rush proceeded to course animalistically through his veins. Even with that aside, there was something too domestic, too... familial in her waiting up for him to guarantee he was safe, as though she was akin to a worried wife waiting for the husband she loved.

Granted, Chaol couldn't say he hated the domesticity that dominated her moving to clean his suit free of its wrinkles for him, nor did he despise the way she looked up at him with those bright eyes that he adored so much - but there was one thing admitting he found her fascinating and that he yearned for her and another thing entirely to admit that he wanted something altogether more... loving.

Because loving someone after Athanasia was... something he would have to work through and process. For now, he was only comfortable admitting that Elora had claimed a place in his head, his heart, and that he would be lying if he said he didn't want to take her in his arms there and then and leave a trail of kisses from her lips to her neck, to her collarbone, to--

"Not too late, however. But don't wait up for me, Elora, I mean it," he murmured to interrupt his own drifting thoughts, a casual smile lingering handsomely on his features as he absently trailed a look away from the television to the woman before him, finding her comfortable appearance and slightly messy hair adorable. "Really, the thought of you sat up in the dark waiting for me is rather too tragic for me to take - so you busy yourself and forget about me-- though let's be honest, shall we? The image of me in this suit is going to linger rather a long time in that head of yours, isn't it?"

A grin now broke on his face, the dip into flirtatious territory arriving far more naturally to him than he thought it would - but that was evidently for a reason. It felt natural and he couldn't fight against the urge to part with those flirtatious words when he longed to see Elora's reaction; desired to see her blush, grow flustered, her heart racing and head full of unspoken attraction.

Now he had admitted to himself how he felt, he couldn't just bottle it all back up.

No, the lid had been lifted and, as a result, Chaol eased into the flirty demeanour that very, very few had been genuinely recipient of. Flirtation was something he gave out but often to satisfy his desires, to draw people in. Never was it given out because he wanted to grow closer to someone or foster a connection - at least, Athanasia had been one exception and now, apparently, Elora was a second.

"Okay, okay I won't wait for you. But make sure the door is locked when you get back." Elora hummed, the small woman resorting to putting her hands behind her back. Clasping her right wrist in order to stop fussing over his jacket, it was odd…but she couldn't help but feel nervous. Nervous of him going out and finding someone to fill his hunger—worried that something would inevitably go wrong. That he wouldn't return home. Worried that someone would see him feasting, that they would try to assist the poor unfortunate soul of Chaols choosing—-

Elora had to stop her thoughts there. It was the same worry that she felt when he snacked on Francine that afternoon, looking back now she felt silly for ever worrying. Chaol knew what he was doing, how to blend in. He wasn't acting recklessly despite being locked away for so long. He would be fine—so there should be nothing to worry about…right?
As horrible as it might be, the last thing on Elora's mind was the victims of that night. It was…honestly too hard for Elora to think about, the nightmare their family would wake up to hitting too close to home for Elora.

She couldn't think about it, wouldn't. Those thoughts had to be locked away unless she wished to drive herself mad.

Thankfully…or perhaps unthankfully her thoughts were torn from such tragedy by Chaol once more. The vampire teasing…flirting with her.

No…that couldn't be right. After all, it was very clear that Chaol's feelings for Athanasia remained.
Despite all those centuries without her, his lost love still held the vampire's heart captive. It was evident in the way he had desperately sought their letters. Evident by the way an old portrait made him soften, drastically shifting his mood from shimmering anger to soft and vulnerable.
He wasn't flirting with her, he couldn't be. At most, the vampire was just teasing the woman. Playing with her emotions to get a little kick for himself. Perhaps to ramp himself up for the night of hunting, some odd… pre-gaming for the vampire.

Simply Elora was reading too much into it—though that smile he gave felt somehow different than the way he had smiled at her before. Different from now he smiled at the woman from the salon or even at Francine.
As though it was one for her and her alone…

No, no, no—she was reading far more into it than what it simply meant.

Still…she couldn't deny the fluttering in her heart. The beat skipping as his voice graced her ears in such a teasing manner.

For a few seconds Elora could only look up at Chaol stunned. Her face heating, slight pink cheeks bursting into red flames at just what he had insinuated. The woman, perhaps embarrassed that he had called her out so easily—her attraction to him undeniably in the sharpness of his suit, the way it clung to his form. The way he had left some of his jacket unbuttoned, drew the eyes to his chest and undershirt, despite fighting the urge to do so.
Elora's mouth opening to speak, yet tripping over her words over and over again—stammering as she tried to deny him of a thought that was so evidently true.

Pulling her hands from behind her back, Elora moved until she was behind the vampire. Chaol would feel slender hands pressing between his shoulder blades, tenderly pushing him from behind, trying to force the man to move out of the living room and to the front door.
"In your wildest dreams Chaol." Elora denied—the ability to speak returning now that their eyes no longer met each other. "I knew complementing was a bad idea. It gave you way too much of an ego boost."

Even with her denying Chaol the truth, refusing to let him know how right he was—there was still a tease to her voice. One that was not difficult to find…it did not help that her heart was still beating wildly in her chest—as thought it was a bird stuck in a cage, desperately seeking freedom.

If it hadn't been for Athanasia, for the love that Chaol still possessed for the princess—Elora would have known Chaol would be the death of her. Not because he was dangerous, or because others seek to put him away for eternity—but because his flirting was too good. Too free, too natural. Even if it was just to tease her, to make fun of the reaction and the compliments she had showered him in—the way he smiled almost did her in. The playful look that accompanied his eyes, the mischievous expression, the coyness in his voice…it was all too much.

"Just be careful tonight. I know you can handle yourself, but there are still a lot of weirdos out there." Elora hummed. "Do you need money for anything? I can loan you my card if so…also how are you going to get to town? Are you going to walk?" The question came slightly disgruntled, as if now she was just realizing he did not have a way into or out of town. It wasn't a long drive, but she was sure the walk would be slightly tiring…then again perhaps he had walked those streets leading to from his home long ago. Perhaps it would mean very little to the man.

The response was one that Chaol had anticipated, feverishly yearned for in fact - with the lid lifted, it was impossible for him to deny the pull he felt to Elora and, within that pull, the desire to see her flush in response to his flirtations; to see her lost for words as she tried to comprehend the switch in atmosphere and its possible implications.

Despite the flirtation, he wasn't entirely convinced that accepting how he felt for her was a good idea, not when there risked complications to a friendship he had quickly come to appreciate and consider special-- but he couldn't co-exist in the same space as her and fight off the feelings when they emerged as strongly and as fiercely as they did. Doing so would only make him miserable, and that in turn risked upsetting Elora.

And if one thing was certain to him at this point, it was that he never wished to see her upset. The brief moment of it in the car had shook him considerably, a rare surge of guilt swirling within him as he took in her pained expression, her disappointment, her confusion. No, if he had to openly accept how he felt and even test the waters of a possible physical connection with her by engaging with the subsequent flirtations that left his lips just to avoid hurting her further in the process, so be it.

Besides, it wasn't as though the plan was one that he had to force himself to accomplish. Flirting with her felt natural and it obviously appealed to see her react so adorably to even the tamest of his compliments. It did stir up his attraction, stoke the fires of his growing desire, but his exit into the night and hours spend feeding his thirst would hopefully put a swift end to those thoughts.

He was happy to flirt, to introduce another level to their friendship rather than hide how he felt entirely... but considering acting on those feelings and fully opening himself up to the vulnerability that would come with a new relationship, putting Elora totally at risk of succumbing to the fate that befell Athanasia? He wasn't sure if he could do that yet or not.

And so, for now, light flirtation, shared smiles, lingering looks... that was all there would be.

At least, all it would be if he remained strong against the pull that Elora seemed to naively harbour.

"Do I need money-- are you under the impression that I intend to pay for anything myself tonight? That I won't have men and women alike lining up to provide me with whatever I desire? I may not drink alcohol straight these days, but I intend to blend into my surroundings and nurse a drink-- but I'll do so with it provided to me, bought by some hopelessly in love human who thinks their charity will grant them pathway to my bed. It's really all rather sad to witness, but alas, you humans are quite sad in general," remarked Chaol as, feeling Elora's hands to his back, he eventually took the hint and made a move towards the door, opening it up to reveal the dawning evening scenically unfolding into dusk around him.

"As for how I intend to get there, I will walk. I don't tire, I don't sweat, because my heart doesn't beat. I'll make my way there and it'll be fine-- you really must have some faith in me, you know. Nobody is going to leap from the shadows to drive a stake into my heart," he snorted, amusedly dwelling on the image of a hunter believing they could get close enough to him to deal him such a devastating blow when in reality (or rather, through his own arrogance) he believed he would hear their heartbeat and end their life before they even knew what had happened.

The teasing mockery and light, gentle jibing did cease for a moment as he cast a glance back down at her, any desire he had to continue with the playful energy making way, temporarily, for something altogether more serious.

"...I don't like the idea of you being here alone watching those murder shows, so lock the doors, keep the curtains drawn and do not sit in the darkness. You can tease me all you wish, but if you were to find yourself killed by an intruder, I would rather dislike that-- especially because it'll be quite the mess to clear up and these hands aren't meant to be put to that much work, so spare me the chore and keep safe until I return, Elora. Understood?"