Rebirth For Salrtban

Rrakkt let out a small laugh as she asked if it was as difficult as learning to ride a smegg. The idea of piloting a ship being as easy as riding a smegg was both humorous and foolish in his opinion. However, considering that she probably never had much learning and when she did it was not in the best of circumstances, he just shook his head a bit and decided that he would give her easy tasks for now, something that he had been taught how to do his very first day on a ship.

"Well, it won't be like smegg riding but it does take some concentration. Don't worry though, If I could learn this when I was still a youngling then you can learn this now. Come, we're heading to the bridge."

With that said, he started to walk out of the room, pausing in the doorway as he waited for her to join him.

"Alright," she said while following. She wasn't sure what it was she said that made him laugh, but he seemed amused not annoyed, so that was good. In fact she liked the look of him laughing. He was good natured as a youth, but as an adult it seemed to create a whole mother dimension to him. She wondered if many saw him laughing, somehow she thought not.

Down the halls of the ship they went, Elekav was getting more use to the direction of the bridge and soon they were climbing up into it. Elekav then waited for Rrakkt to tell her where she should sit. "How long did it take you to learn everything on a ship?"

Once they arrive at the bridge, Rrakkt pused at the captains chair and took a seat, Hitting a few buttons and slowing the auto pilot enough where he would not have to worry about stopping in the middle of explaining if something came within distance of them to cause harm or be trouble. He then got up and walked over to a smaller chair near a holographic screen, it having a large grid on it and plenty of scattered dots here and there.

"Everything? Well, years, galactic stander years to be precise. Let's just say, it was long enough for me to go through my two growth spurt periods. That was to get to perfection though, and to be a certified shipper. For you though, what you will be learning won't take that long. Now, have a seat."
He said with a smile as he pat the chair.

Elekav watched Rrakkt as he hit some control buttons by his chair before he moved on, her only a few steps back. She thought about what he said as she sat down at the chair, looking at all all the lights on the screen and panels. "One step at a time I suppose," she said with a nod before turning to the screen.

If at any time Elekav had been told she was going to learn anything regarding a ship and it would be Rrakkt that would be the one to teach her she would have scoffed at the idea. Now though it seemed like the most logical thing in the world. She was still a little nervous, but more excited then anything.

Rrakkt smiled as she took a seat in the chair and turned it to face the screen.

"Exactly, Now you are going to be learning the radar system. Basically, it tells you what is in the area of your ship. The large center dot represents us, the ship, and all the other dots around it are objects around us. For an example, all the dots we have around us now represent asteroids because we are in an asteroid field. This will also pick up ships and planets and such. All you are going to learn is how to figure out which dot is what. It seems tricky now but it's not hard, trust me. All you need to learn is a few hints and also how to read a few numbers and such. So, think you are up to the challenge?"

He was smiling at her as he finished, ready to start teaching her once she said she was up to it. He didn't want to push her if she wasn't ready for learning just yet. Besides, it was not important for her learn it all right away, he just figured that it would be something to fill the time and also help her feel useful around the ship.

Elekav looked at the screen as Rrakkt turned her chair and begin to explain what she was going to be learn. It sounded very interesting and she could understand how that might be important. As she looked at the dots that were the asteroids she found herself amazed at how many where around them. It somewhat made sense, but seeing the representation still was a bit awing.

"I'm ready. It will be nice to have a challenge that's mental and not, um, well, trouble," saying it was strangely helpful, like she was stepping away from it. There were though many many steps before.

"Glad to hear that. Now, there are a lot of ways to figure out what the dots are. You can base it off of speeds, if they are moving freely and even by size. Now the asteroids that you are seeing on screen are rather small, but they can be big also. You can usually tell they are asteroids when they seem to be moving at the same pace the ship is, though some move slightly faster because of their own small momentum." Rrakkt started to explain.

It went on like this for a little while, Rrakkt point at dots and giving examples as to how she could tell them apart. He also explained controls and showed her how to long in on some of the targets from the radar so she could get more detailed information such as weight, mass, and even density of the object. He took it slowly though, and often let her try and figure things out on her own before stepping up and pointing her in the right direction. In his opinion, learning was a hands on experience and everyone needed to get to touch something and feel it for themselves before listening to instructions.

The instruction was good. There was however a lot to learn, but Elekav was feeling she was making some progress. She was sure however that if she had a different instructor it might have been different. Rrakkt seemed to know how to explain things in such a way that she was intimidated in trying things out, knowing she understood what he told her and it was only a matter of getting a feels for it all.

By the time she leaned back, feeling like she wasn't going to be able to concentrate much more, several hours had passed, though it barely seemed like any time had gone by at all. The only tactile clue for her was the pit feeling in her stomach. Timidly she looked up at Rrakkt. "When might we be eating again?" The question was asked much softer then those she had asked while he had been teaching her. In fact then she had been so into the process she hadn't thought to be timid or uneasy and had asked the questions as they came to her.

When Elekav asked about food, Rrakkt blinked a bit and looked over to his own screens near the captains chair. It had been several hours since they started, and even longer since they had last eaten. It was probably time to take a break and get something to eat before they got too hungry. Besides, she had made plenty of progress and at the rate she was going then it wouldn't be long before she was able to work the radar all on her own. Pulling back a bit he smiled and nodded his head slightly.

"Now I think, It's been awhile and we should probably get something in us before we get too focused in work again. Besides, I'm a little famished as well. Come, let's get to the kitchen and whip something up."
He said with a charming smile as he waited for her to stand.

Once she did he would head down the ladder and made his way through the ship and into the kitchen. It was simple and on the small side but there was a small table for sitting and a stove, along with other important appliances. They'd be able to make something with what they had, that was for certain.

Traveling down the corridor, Elekav pondered if she had done well. She had nothing to gage it by, for in her own life she was ignored when she was doing things right and beaten if she wasn't. Yet it was no guarantee you knew why you were beaten, or even if you truly did wrong. She was no linger in that world. Now she wanted to do good, not to avoid punishment and to be ignored, but for something she wasn't use to, working for another's benefit. Elekav knew that training her would take Rrakkt's precious time, but the end result she hoped was less work for him. It was the only way she could give back to him.

"Your kitchen is very clean," she said in some surprise. Not for the cleanliness, but last she had seen had been cluttered and it was difficult to navigate around. Of course her last master was not known for order of any sort, which partly explained her condition. "Is everything needed truly here?"

"Yep, everything I need. I always keep it nicely stocked so it's never an issue. Also, the ship was a former crew ship, it was meant to feed at least a drew of twenty or more. But saving space was key so they made a small kitchen but with plenty of tools to assist in the cooking process. Besides, When you travel alone, you need to know how to cook so I always make sure that my kitchen is prepared. It is the only place that will keep you alive, right after the life support system on the ship." He said casual as he started to shuffle through the cupboards.

As he did so, he pulled out some boxes and smaller containers, mostly just looking instead of coming up with a meal on the spot. After all, he just wasn't feeding himself anymore, he as Elekav to feed as well. That wouldn't be difficult though, he just had no clue what she liked to eat...And he doubted she had much of a clue either after all those years as a slave.

"That does make sense. There is a lot of forethought to running your own ship it seems, but you do it very easily." For Elekave it wasn't an assumption. To her it seemed that Rrakkt was very organized and in charge of what he did. He was not a victim of his fate, he was making his fate, even if that just meant choosing what he ate.

Elekav stood so she could watch Rrakkt dig through the cupboards. As she leaned on the counter, seeming to study her surroundings, her gaze returned to Rrakkt and her serious expression softened. All the kindness, all the assurance, all those smiles had started to build up and in the simple act of him preparing to make dinner Elekav smiled at him. It was dim, and small, but it was there, not some trick of the light.

After shuffling around for a little longer, Rrakkt finally pulled out a larger box than most, reading in a strange squiggle like language that even he had trouble reading half the time. Smiling he looked down at Elekav for a moment to notice her own slight smile, only widening his more.

"Well, it isn't anything fancy but it certainly tastes good in my opinion. It makes enough for two so we can share if you like. Though, if you'd rather have something else I can make a different meal, doesn't matter much to me."
He explained lightly as he started to put things back into the cupboards.

Elekav wasn't aware of the smile she had made, but she was very aware how she felt as Rrakkt looked at her and smiled wide. It was as though her stomach had flipped, but in a good way. He was smiling at her, for her, and she wondered how she could see that again.

It was a good thing he had to look away to put things away because otherwise she might not have been able to find her voice. "I would not mind trying what you think is good. I am not in need of fancy after all." That he had been willing to make her something else though just added to the happiness that he had been creating since he bought her her freedom. His care for her well being was amazing.

"Alright then, I'll get to work." He said with a small grin as he took the larger box and headed over to the stove. "Feel free to take a seat at the table, It shouldn't be too long until this is all ready and we can eat."

Rrakkt started to pull out a pot after that was said, filling it with liquid and setting it on the stove simply. Turning it on, the water was starting to heat and he was working on getting the box open, though that required little effort for someone of his size. He then shuffled over to the fridge and pulled some some ingredients, nothing simple, just basics used to finish up the instructions on the box, though it was unlikely that he could read them properly and was just going off of memory at this point. He stood at the stove in silence for a moment before glancing at Elekav.

She seemed happier now, something that she wasn't a few days before. Her improvement was fast and soon she'd be just like anyone else. He couldn't wait to see her smile completely, for even her small ones made he grin like a mad Bassa cat.

Elekav did as he suggested and took a seat at the table, taking one that had her facing the kitchen so she could lean her elbows on the table and watch him. While her expression had returned to a more neutral expression, Elekav was leaning in, her chin resting on her hands as she studied everything he did. She was learning how the kitchen worked by watching him, but also she just got to watch him.

After a while she spoke up. "It smells good already," she told him in a voice the suggested she was interested in what she smelled. Cooking was required for nourishment and survival, but Elekav could recall vaguely that there was an art form to cooking too and that delight could be found in the making of food, not just eating it. She wanted to refine that delight again at some point if it was possible, but for now she hoped to add to Rrakkt's.

"It's only water at the moment you know." Rrakkt teased a bit before starting to put everything together in the pot of now boiling water. "It will get good soon though, promise!"

He set a timer on the stove for a few minutes as he stirred the ingredient together with what was in the box he had opened. It wasn't much but what it did make resembled something similar to a think soup, large noodles floating in it as he stirred it more and more. It was a dark yellow color and it smelled delicious, at least to Rrakkt anyway. Whatever it was that he was making, it certainly was going to be delicious for the two of them.

Elekav waited patiently as he went back to cooking, not minding the teasing. Her stomach wanted to protest, but at least it wasn't grumbling yet. By the time he was finished she was very hungry indeed. Since she could imagine it was going to taste bad, she had high hopes for her dinner.

"What is it call?" The curiosity of the name far less then the contence of the meal once Rrakkt brought it over. It was a nice treat, since her freedom she hadn't once had to forage for her dinner or be thankful for scraps, instead she had been servered her food. It was amazing how things changed in but a few days.

Rrakkt took a seat at the table as he set down the food, a large bowl of the pasta like dish for each of them. When she asked was it was called he could only really shrug. It wasn't that he didn't want to talk but the race that reacted the stuff had one of the most complicated translation processes for their language. It took just ten minutes for a words to be translated properly, and from what he could see on the box, the name certainly wasn't small.

"Not sure...I usually just go by the picture on the box."
He said before taking a bite and eating slowly.

"I suppose that works too," Elekav shrugged and then took a bite as well. It was good. It wasn't like the food at the restaurant, but she had known that had been a special treat. Elekav would have no objection with the meal in the future.

Elekav took her time eating, after all there was little rush it seemed and she wanted to enjoy each and every bite. She also wanted to enjoy siting at the tale with Rrakkt. "You're use to your time alone, use to quiet dinners, do you... does it bother you at all? I know you've got to be use to certain routines, and I... you shouldn't have to change everything because of me if you don't want to."