Realize vs. Realise

Realize vs. Realise

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to mix it up, I use "color" and "armor", but also "realise" and "grey"

Realize. It's what my Canadian spell check says is correct.

Not that it really matters. Either spelling is correct and I fully understand the intended meaning, just as with colour/color.

Though I'll still tease you Americans for dropping the noble letter "u" out of so many words. Tsk tsk chaps.

Now, I prefer using entirely different words altogether.

Now excuse me while I drink from the bubbler:

ez4.jpg

Now, I prefer using entirely different words altogether.

Now excuse me while I drink from the bubbler:

ez4.jpg
Excuse me while I hit the John.
Toilet_with_flush_water_tank.jpg

I didn't realize that knickers was the correct word for women undergarments. I always thought knickers was socks... Google disagrees
Knickers. Um, I think that's safe for work depending on the environment I suppose.

I see trash comments all over the internet about which word is spelled correctly. This goes for other words as well, some being colour/color and theatre/theater. I use realize because that's how I was taught to spell it but I don't think realise is an incorrect spelling either. It's simply one of the small distinctions between American and UK English.

From the perspective of a British person, I'd say that contrary to the assurances of many folk here, they are not technically both correct. Or rather, whether they are both correct or not depends on context.

It seems that both spellings are acceptable in the US, but here in Britain it would certainly be viewed as incorrect to use the American spelling. I'd have been marked down for it in my dissertation last year, I can assure you. Exceptions are likely made if you are an American living in Britain, but a British person living here would be expected to use British English.

This is likely because American English was adapted from the British version. Over there, the British version is just the archaic spelling of the current standard American version. The British spellings were once part of the language, even if they're not used anymore, so it isn't incorrect to use either the old or new version. However, for British people... the American versions have never been a part of our language. We have never used them. They're just misspellings.

So whether they are correct or incorrect depends on who and where you are.

This perhaps also explains why a lot of British people view the American versions as bastardisations of "true" English. They are mutations of the original language separate to the original language... They feel almost like flaws caused by erroneous printing, like those famously present in the Lord of the Rings and such. Errors that gained popularity and became widespread; mistakes that were propagated instead of corrected and somehow accidentally became convention. Personally, I absolutely loathe the American way of spelling most words where there's a difference. It always seems stylistically crass.

Of course, I'm not an obnoxious cunt, so I don't criticise people for using those spellings when that's the way they were taught to spell them and when I know that for them it's a perfectly legitimate way of spelling it... but I can totally understand why other people feel they're incorrect. It seems stupid to make a fuss about it unless actually asked, though.

• Thank You
Reactions: SlamifiedBuddafied
Realize is another example of an unjustified butchering of the fine British language. Another hell-spawn result of a perfectly fine British word's gang rape gone wrong. Just yet another example of the horrible aftermath happening within the American-British war to this date.

God help us all, what a mess that place has become. It even clumsily spilt itself into Europe in the 1940's, and it just keeps touching other countries with it's fat, and unusually stump little sweaty digits...

Ofcourse, like Halo. I'm not an obnoxious cunt either.
wait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realize is another example of an unjustified butchering of the fine British language. Another hell-spawn result of a perfectly fine British word's gang rape gone wrong. Just yet another example of the horrible aftermath happening within the American-British war to this date.

God help us all, what a mess that place has become. It even clumsily spilt itself into Europe in the 1940's, and it just keeps touching other countries with it's fat, and unusually stump little sweaty digits...

Ofcourse, like Halo. I'm not an obnoxious cunt either.
wait.
:banghead:

Realize.

Because I don't like the 'ise'

It's cramping the S :(

As another Canadian, I used to flop around between "ise" and "ize".

Eventually, it solidified to the point of me always using "ize", for something of an odd reason. I'm bilingual—French and English—but the contexts where I used those two languages were very different. English was my creative outlet, and I used it for socialization, family, and entertainment. French was my academic language, and was only really used at school—on rare occasion for socialization or formal family gatherings. As such, I mentally dissociated the writing of words between the two languages, even when spelt the same way.

What I mean by that is if I were to read a word that happened to be identical in French and English, I would instinctively choose one of the languages to read that word in. If the rest of the sentence just so happened to be the other language, I would get all confused.

I just sort of naturally chose "ize" so that it wouldn't be the same as in French. Not for this particular word, which has an accent, but for other words like it.

• Thank You
Reactions: SlamifiedBuddafied
Status
Not open for further replies.