Realize vs. Realise

Realize vs. Realise

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I voted for Realize, I'm American. I've had the distinct displeasure of dealing with Brits in the past that like you, found it very necessary to correct me. I usually found they are self-assured asshats that think their far more intellectually Superior to you because, you are in fact... Not British. It's at this point I often say so long and step off, leaving them to ponder why I called them a Douche Bag on my way out.

However, they are both acceptable.
I'm not British. I'm in the American midwest.
I misread your comment.

I use realize because it just sounds right in my head. I tend to follow my instincts when writing in English - it's not my first language - and they've never failed me before. Also, I don't really care. Is this supposed to be some hot topic among grammar lovers out there? :D
Not a hot topic, just a personal annoyance which is bugging the living shit out of me.

I use both. I think I like the way "realize" looks better, so I'll vote for that.

Both are acceptable to me, though I'd personally use realize. It might throw me off when I see the British spelling of things, but I still know what the word means and that's all that matters in the end.

What I find most annoying is when Americans try to insist that British-English is the ONLY way to spell things.

If most people spent half as much time writing as they did bitching about it...

@Seth Bloodmoon Completely unrelated, but your avatar is the best thing I've seen in ages.

Realise, because my spell-check is in British English 'cause it's all fancy and posh. Until you get into the slang anyway.

I prefer realize because:
A. Z >>> S
B. It makes a little more sense pronunciation wise.

Aside from ize vs ise though, I prefer the British spellings for almost everything (despite being a boring American). I still use or instead of our alot (like color vs colour) but I do prefer our, just too used to or. I love tre though; "spectre" is one of my favorite words in terms of how it looks on paper.

In summary.
I am confused and don't care very much.

Point here is Slam, don't let it get under your skin. If you want to use one spelling over the other, then go for it. If you have critics that feel they need to correct you- no matter where they are from, they are looking to feel superior to you. We already know your brilliant. :) Trolls will be trolls. :p

• Thank You
Reactions: SlamifiedBuddafied
The schools here teach us British English so technically 'realise' should be more natural for me. However, for some reason, I've always felt more comfortable with American English. (The internet and TV might be at fault here.) I just go with what sounds right to me and for some reason, when it comes to English, it's the American version most of the time. Therefore, it's 'realize' for me.

Though, sometimes I feel like being a badass rebel and I want to go with 'realice' instead.

Reactions: SlamifiedBuddafied
I use them interchangeably because I am Canadian trash. I feel like that happens with most of those alternate spellings. Even with words that I usually spell a certain way, such as colour, I won't register the the difference reading the alternate spelling unless I really consider it. That's probably because of reading both spellings so often online.

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
Point here is Slam, don't let it get under your skin. If you want to use one spelling over the other, then go for it. If you have critics that feel they need to correct you- no matter where they are from, they are looking to feel superior to you. We already know your brilliant. :) Trolls will be trolls. :p
Brilliant may be to strong of a word to use in my case, but thank you none the less.
But of course when attempting to be kind to said trolls only results in more trolling, it becomes quite a frustrating ordeal, no matter how small. Why? Because it's arbitrary as fuck.

I prefer realize because:
A. Z >>> S
B. It makes a little more sense pronunciation wise.

Aside from ize vs ise though, I prefer the British spellings for almost everything (despite being a boring American). I still use or instead of our alot (like color vs colour) but I do prefer our, just too used to or. I love tre though; "spectre" is one of my favorite words in terms of how it looks on paper.

In summary.
I am confused and don't care very much.
I will say that many British spellings are quite lovely.

Brilliant may be to strong of a word to use in my case, but thank you none the less.
But of course when attempting to be kind to said trolls only results in more trolling, it becomes quite a frustrating ordeal, no matter how small. Why? Because it's arbitrary as fuck.
While that is so, you have to call it what is, and step off. Trolls can't be reasoned with.

You're adorable.
Thank you, I think?

Your avatar is from Ava's Demon, right? I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I do believe that's the art style. Very pretty.

I think another factor is that teachers in Canadian schools seem to have trouble differentiating Canadian and American lingo themselves. Spelling tests were always a gong show.

For the first year or so of school I was taught to pronounce Z 'zee' instead of 'zed' for some reason and it took forever to break that habit. I also watched a lot of American children's shows though, so that probably made things way more confusing then they had to be.

Reactions: Perfect Neglect
Thank you, I think?

Your avatar is from Ava's Demon, right? I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but I do believe that's the art style. Very pretty.
Yes? And yes.

Points for the Canadian.

Reactions: govangogh
Thank you, I think?

I think another factor is that teachers in Canadian schools seem to have trouble differentiating Canadian and American lingo themselves. Spelling tests were always a gong show.

For the first year or so of school I was taught to pronounce Z 'zee' instead of 'zed' for some reason and it took forever to break that habit. I also watched a lot of American children's shows though, so that probably made things way more confusing then they had to be.
Interesting. I had no idea the Canadian school system had issues with teaching English in such a way. Though I know American media easily seeps into many other nations, I'm honestly ignorant of the social ramifications which clash with other languages or even the varieties available in the same languages such as English.

I just tell someone who whines about my grammar mistakes that I destroyed a world just now with the little mistake.

As far as different spellings, I just tend to ignore them completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.