Putting the EX in reconciliation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few minutes later, a nurse came in to check on Sinead and to do her vitals. She noted the mostly empty glass of water and paused. "Has she been awake?" she wondered, murmuring a little 'good morning, sweetie' to Cecilia before carefully checking Sinead's pulse without removing her paw from Cicero's grasp. She nodded in satisfaction at what she found, and noted her heart rate on her chart. She looked to Cicero to answer her question.

Alexa just grinned at him and immediately started piling food onto her plate. "D'you need help dishin' up, Tiggy? I ain' feedin' you, though," she offered, teasing him a bit.

Kacey jerked in her chair, snorting a bit as the baby kicked at her and turned, but it didn't quite manage to rouse her as she quickly settled back down. One paw drifted up to rest on top of her belly.

Tig grinned. "Aw. Yer nae gonna chew it fer me and everythin'?" he laughed softly, then looked over to check on his wife. Satisfied that she was ok, he turned back to his food. "Aye, if ye could get me all plated up, that'd be grand."

"She woke for a few moments, yes. She was a bit confused, and doesn't remember the attack, but seemed fairly lucid otherwise..."

"She cried a lot." she said softly, curling back up on the cot. It was nice and safe and warm under the blankets.

Alexa giggled and dished up a big plate for Tig, and then dished up another plate, covered it and put it in the oven to stay warm for Kacey. Finally, she returned to her own food, going in hungrily at it. After all the stress of last night, she felt extra hungry. "Tiggy, are we gonna go visit Sinead later? We ain' heard from tha Professor yet, but..." she shrugged. She was chafing a bit, not knowing what was happening. "If yer not up t'goin', we could at leas' call an' see how she's doin'."

The nurse went and sat on the cot next to Cecilia, stroking her hair. "Part of the confusion could be left over from the anaesthetic used during surgery, including crying. But part of it, truthfully, could be part of the trauma, even if she doesn't remember it yet. Depending on how she recovers, she may never remember the incident, which is normal, and won't have any bearing on anything else." She was talking to both of them, but focusing her attention on Cecilia. She stood up and looked back at Cicero again. "When she wakes up again, please let us know so the doctor can come and check her to see how she's progressing. We'll also try to get her sitting up and eating. That'll help her be a bit more stimulated, and help clear out some of the cobwebs," she added with a gentle smile. "But the fact that she's woken up and talked to you and recognised you is a very good sign."

Tig laughed softly at the plate in front of him. He had to admit, he was pretty damn hungry. He started trying to figure out how to hold his fork with his bandaged hands. "We might as well go an' see 'er. We c'n stop an' get flowers, too." He looked over at his daughter and smiled. "Ye sure ye donnae wanna feed yer poor old da? I'm realizin' how sore me jaw is now...me nose look broken again?" he asked, winking at her.

Cicero nodded, watching the nurse. "I will call for you when she wakes up again."

Cecelia nuzzled into the soft hand petting her. "You can go through something so scary that you forget it?" She tilt her head, now wondering if she had ever been through anything like that.

Cicero, who had been hanging out with some of the psychology professors lately, nodded. "Ja, sometimes. But I would tell you if you had something bad happen to you."

"Oh good." she smiled and looked up at the nurse. "Is my hair ok?"

"Not too bad, but it does look like you just woke up, hun. Why don't I run get you both some toilet essentials, hm?" she offered.

Alexa looked at Tig's situation seriously for a moment, then climbed up onto the table, pulling her plate closer to his as well. "I still ain't chewin' it fer you," she reiterated, going to work cutting up his food and helping him to get the fork situated in his grip so that he could eat without too much trouble. "Y'remember when Emmy firs' foun' me, all sick an' wif my broke leg?" she asked thoughtfully as she worked. "You an' her hadta do a lotta carryin' me aroun' an' feedin' me then..."

Tig purred softly as his daughter helped him. "Aye, I remember. I remember it very well." he looked at her and smiled. "I need tae call 'er. Let 'er know what's happened tae Sinead. T'ank ye, dear." he said, leaning in to kiss her cheek. "Yer tha best daughter ever."

Cicero smiled. "Thank you. It would me much appreciated."

"I'm not going to school today, so there's no rush...can I play my violin again, ma'am?" she asked, always perfectly polite and adorable.

The nurse smiled at her, glad to have some people who were pleasant for a change. "Not just yet, love. When it's visiting hours, that'll be fine. They start in about an hour, at ten o'clock, until after the lunch period, which ends at two. Then, it's quiet hours until five, then evening visiting hours from five to ten. I'll go get those toiletries for you, then I need to get back to my duties. But if you ever need me, you can ask for Nurse Rose, alright? I'll be here until the end of quiet hours." With that, she left quickly and efficiently.

Alexa nodded and accepted the kiss. "Yeah, she'd wanna know," she agreed, staying on the table and continuing to eat.

"Do you wanna call 'er after breakfast? I'll need tae get Kacey up an' movin' if we're gonnae go see Sinead." He looked down at his plate, trying in vain to stab a bit of egg. Stupid bandaged hands...He put the fork down and started unwrapping them. This was just overkill. The stitches were enough. Why did he need bandages too??

Alexa nodded. "Mebbe we cin wrap 'em lighter?" she suggested. "They oughta at leas' be covered so's they don' gits infected. Vanni says tha' dirt's gots bugs an' bac-teria in it, an' tha's wha makes stuffs sick or infected."

"Hate to admit it, but the wo-" he shook his head quickly. "Kid's pretty smart." He looked at Alexa and smiled. "Can I leave 'em off tae eat? Then I'll let ye bandage 'em up fer me again. I'm pretty sure we've got bandages around here somewhere...god knows I'm always runnin' around bleedin' from somewhere..."

Alexa giggled. "Kay. We'll fix 'em so's you cin still move too, yeah?"

The nurse soon returned with the toiletries for the pair, and she'd even found some extra hair ribbons for Cecilia. She was just about to leave, when Sinead began to stir again, moaning. "Oh, I'll go fetch the doctor," she said quickly, hurrying out again.

"Cicero..." Sinead mumbled. "M'legs hurt. Help me bend 'em, aye?"

Tig grinned. "Oh, aye! Wrap 'em up like a mummy!" he held his arms out and moaned a bit like the mummies in the movies, reaching towards his daughter and wiggling his fingers to threaten tickling her sides.

She felt the ribbons and giggled. "Thank you, Nurse Rose!" she said happily, starting to brush her hair.

Cicero thanked the nurse as well, then jumped a bit as Sinead spoke. He stood up and pat her hand. "Of course." he said, moving to start very carefully adjust her legs. "Just tell me where they are comfortable, ja? And the doctor will be in soon to check on you..."

"Jes' up..." she said, gritting her teeth as she started to pull them towards herself. It hurt her newly stitched-up stomach muscles, but not like she was pulling them. It just hurt. By the time she got them up to the point where they'd stay on their own, she was sweating and crying from the pain and effort. "Thank ye..." she gasped, panting for breath.

Nurse Rose returned then with the doctor, who smiled at them. "Miss O'Connor, how are you feeling this morning?" he asked her gently, moving to the bedside and cranking up the bed so that Sinead could sit up a bit.

Sinead gripped the bed, getting a bit dizzy and maybe a little nauseous as well at the change in position. She swallowed hard before answering. "A bit dizzy, but otherwise like I went through a meat grinder," she said with grim humour.

The doctor chuckled a bit for her benefit. "Well, you have every right to feel that way. What we're going to do, Nurse Rose is going to help me change your bandages, and we'll go through the list of your injuries, and see how you're doing, alright?"

Sinead bit her lip and squeezed Cicero's paw. "A-aye, alrigh'..."

The doctor began with her head, unwinding the bandages carefully. It was not a pretty sight. She had patches of hair gone where they'd shaved it to get to her scalp, and the bare patches were criss-crossed with stitches. She had a cut going over her left eye, and the eye was red and bloodshot. She'd come very close to losing that eye, but the doctor said it would be fine now, though she may need glasses eventually. The nurse said she'd come back later with someone to trim up Sinead's hair so that the hair growing back would even up more quickly. He asked her some questions, checked her eyes with a reflector, and had her perform some simple movements to check her response time, understanding, and memory, which were fine if a bit on the slow side. They rewrapped her head tightly, Nurse Rose said to keep the stitches from swelling, but replaced the bandages over her eye with a simple white eye patch that looped around her head. Moving down to her broken collarbone and arm, he gingerly felt around her neck and shoulder, where the swelling was subsiding nicely. For her chest and abdomen, the nurse helped to position her gown and blanket to keep her decent and supported her to lean forward as he checked her lung sounds, her breathing capacity, and the stitches on her belly.

Sinead very nearly passed out as she sagged forward onto the nurse, but came to very quickly. She faintly heard the doctor reassuring her and telling her that it was due to the concussion, but that should get better in a day or so as she got used to moving around again. When it was all over, she gratefully sank back onto the pillows, feeling wrung out and exhausted.

Overall, the doctor was very pleased. "You are a very strong young lady, and very lucky. Other than a severe concussion, I don't see any other signs of brain damage at the moment, but we'll continue to monitor you. Your collarbone and arm should heal well, though you'll need the sling for at least a month to make sure that your collarbone knits together properly. Your lung sounds are good, and your breathing will improve as the bruising heals. We'll remove the outer stitches on your stomach in a week, but even once you're discharged, there's to be no heavy lifting, too much bending, or heavy physical exertion for six weeks, or you'll end up with a hernia. Now, I know you've had some water, but we need to get you eating. I know hospital food isn't the best, but I'd like to start you off with something a bit bland and not too heavy, but by tomorrow you may have someone bring in food for you, if you'd prefer. Do you have any questions?"

Sinead felt a bit overwhelmed at all the information, and shook her head no. "Not a'th' moment, but mebbe later?"

"Of course, I know it's a lot to take in right now," he nodded.

"Um, cin I get out of bed, t'go to th' facilities?" she asked suddenly, blushing bright red.

The doctor stepped back, and let Nurse Rose move to her side. "Yes, but only under nurse supervision for right now. We don't want you to faint or black out and have a fall, alright?" Nurse Rose tied up the back of her gown and carefully helped Sinead to swing her legs off the bed, and lean against her as she helped her to her feet.

She felt old, like an invalid, and completely embarrassed as she leaned heavily on the nurse. Her face was red and her ears down, not looking at anyone as she shuffled along into the toilet.

Once they were in the toilet room, the doctor turned to Cicero. "Do you have any questions, sir, about your wife's condition?" he asked, incorrectly presuming their relationship status.

Cicero stayed where he was through the exam, holding her hand, letting her squeeze it if she wanted to. When she got up to go to the bathroom, he sighed and looked up at the doctor. His wife? He laughed very softly but decided not to correct the man. If there were visiting hours, it probably meant that someone like him, who wasn't married to her, couldn't stay with her the whole time. "I don't think so. You haff been very thorough in your explanations. "How long until she is discharged?" he asked, glancing over at his daughter to make sure she was alright.

Cecelia looked worried, her eyes moving blindly about the room, trying to focus on all of the commotion and noise during the physical. Sinead was in pain, she could tell that. And as she shuffled off, she was so slow...She bowed her head and sniffed a little, playing with the hem of her dress. She hated not being able to play her violin whenever she wanted to. She sniffed again. "Papa?" She kept her head down but held her arms out. "Where are you?"

"I am here, Angel." he said, getting up and walking over. He picked her up and held her to his chest, rubbing her back. He turned back to the doctor. "She will be fine, yes? Honestly? She will heal and be fine? Normal? Ah, Cecelia, don't cry..." He sat down on the cot with her in his lap, rubbing her back and trying not to cry himself. He was relieved, but still worried, and it always broke his heart to hear Cecelia cry.

"It will take time for her to heal physically, as well as emotionally. If she has emotional difficulties after this, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that it's directly related to what she's been through, and not lasting brain damage. If that happens, I would definitely recommend her seeing a psychiatrist. They'd be able to help her best in that area. Physically, I don't want to discharge her until the most acute effects of the concussion have worn off, and her lung capacity is at least 80%. So, I would say the outside of a week at the earliest for discharge." He patted Cicero's shoulder, and then Cecilia's head. "It's scary, and upsetting, when someone you love has been hurt. I see it almost every day. And it's going to be a long, difficult recovery. Be sure to take care of yourself as well, or you won't be able to take care of her the way she needs you to. Don't be afraid to cry; it helps a lot more than some people seem to think." With that, he left the room to move on with his rounds.

Cicero sat there for a moment with his daughter, letting her cry and calm down, waiting for Sinead to come back from the bathroom. He sighed and kissed the top of his daughter's head. "Was ist mit dir gehen und bleiben mit den O'Connors für ein paar Tage? Nur bis Sinead ist aus dem Krankenhaus. Ich werde anrufen und sie bitten. Sie können mit Alexa spielen und sich gegenseitig helfen, um sich keine Sorgen."

The girl shook her head. "Aber ich will hier bei dir sein! Mach mich nicht gehen, Papa!"

He sat his daughter back in his lap a bit, enough so he could look at her. Even if he couldn't catch her eyes. Even if she couldn't see his stern expression. She could at least know he was serious by the tone of his voice. "Cecelia, müssen Sie. Es ist nicht gut für ein junges Mädchen, im Krankenhaus so lang sein. Ich werde sie anrufen, um ihnen zu sagen, wie sie tut, und während ich das zu tun, werde ich fragen, ob Sie bei ihnen zu bleiben."

"Nein, Papa! Bitte!"

"Das genügt. Es ist endgültig." He put her down on the cot and moved over to the phone in the room, ringing up the O'Connor residence.

Tig looked up. "I got it." He got up from the table and walked over to the phone. "O'Connor residence."

"Ah, Mr. O'Connor-"

"Tighearnan." he corrected the professor with a smile.

"Ah, yes, of course." Yeah, there was a reason he always called him Mr. O'Connor. There was no way he was pronouncing that name. "I wanted to let you know that Sinead has woken up. She is doing much better, but the doctor says she will still be in hospital for a week."

Tig smiled. "That's wonderful! Nae so much tha long stay, but she's awake! That's great!" He looked over at his daughter with a smile.

"Ja, ja. I was wondering if you could do me a favor...I do not want Cecelia staying in the hospital so long." He looked over to see if Sinead was coming back to bed yet. "She does not need to be taken to school, but I want her somewhere that is eh....well...not a hospital."

"Oh, aye. I dinnae see too much o' a problem wit' it. She's a sweet girl. I'll ask Kacey when we're on tha way o'er....eh...we can come see her, aye?"

"Oh, ja, ja, ja!" He smiled. "There is no rush. I believe there is still half an hour until visiting hours."

Tig looked over at the clock. "Aye, alright. We'll be there just after 10 then."

Sinead finally began shuffling back to the bed, even more slowly than before. She looked pale and utterly exhausted.

Nurse Rose took her time with her, holding her up as much as needed, and they finally reached the bed. She helped settle Sinead again and pulled the blankets up around her before cranking the bed down halfway so she could sleep more comfortably. "I'll let you rest now, and I'll wake you up when I bring your breakfast around, alright?"

Sinead nodded wearily, closing her eyes and going straight to sleep.

Alexa perked up when Tig smiled at her. "She's awake?" she asked eagerly, bouncing excitedly on the table. When Tig hung up, she demanded to know the entire conversation. "Was that tha' professor? What he say?"

Tighearnan smiled, sitting back down near his daughter at the table. "He says she's awake, but will still be at tha hospital fer a week. He also wanted tae know if Cecelia could come an' stay wit' us until Sinead's home. Cicero doesnae want her in tha hospital fer too long. Would ye like tae have 'er over fer a few nights? We'll have tae make sure it's ok with Kacey of course..."

"Yay!" Alexa cheered, clapping her paws. She liked Cecilia, so she didn't mind at all. "She'll need stuffs from her house, her clothes an' books an' stuff..."

Kacey's hunger finally woke her from her sleep, and she yawned and stretched, rubbing her belly and her face. She looked around blearily, spying the two at the table, and Alexa on it. "Started without me? I hope you saved me some..." she said with a sleepy smile.

"Yep! I lef' a plate warmin' in tha oven fer you. I'll get it!" Alexa announced proudly, scrambling down from the table.

Kacey shifted herself to the end of the chair's seat, and heaved herself up. "I am very much over this..." she complained mildly as she waddled over to the bench next to Tig. "Have we heard anything from the hospital yet?" The question was cautious, not sure how he was feeling yet.

"Aye, Lex, she will. And we'll make sure ta get it for 'er." he said with a smile. He looked over at his wife as she got up, turning quickly to make sure Alexa didn't face plant off the table as she got down. He turned back to help Kacey sit, grinning. "And why are ye tired o' it? Ye look absolutely beautiful."

At her question about the hospital, he nodded. Mostly because his mouth was full. He held up his fork a little to tell her to hold on a moment as he chewed and swallowed. "Aye. Jes' got off tha phone wit' tha old proff. He says she's woken up an' seems tae be fine. She'll be stayin' in tha hospital fer about a week an' visitin' hours start at ten. He also wanted tae know if we'd take care o' Cecelia fer a few days. Sleepin' in a hospital's nae good for someone so young as her."

Status
Not open for further replies.