Putting the EX in reconciliation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was silence on the other side of the phone for a long moment. "What?" finally came the confused reply.

Alexa frowned and tugged at Kacey's sleeve. "What'd he say?"

Kacey shook herself to answer properly, but her voice was choked. "T-tiggy...is, was she...what happened?" Kacey felt weak, and sagged in the chair. Her eyes sharpened suddenly on Alexa. She wasn't sure she wanted the girl to overhear. "Alexa, sweety, I want you to go and get your coat and shoes, and get mine as well, and my purse, please. I'll explain on the way," she instructed. Her voice was watery, but with a forced calm. She was already fighting tears, but she couldn't break down. Not now.

Alexa blinked at her, worried now. It had to be bad. Was Tiggy in trouble? Kacey had said he'd sounded okay. She quickly scampered off to get everything she was asked to.

Once she was gone, Kacey took a deep breath and let it out. Then she said, in a stronger voice, "Tell me everything."

Tig squeezed his eyes shut to keep some very unwanted tears back. "I dinnae...I jes', I...Mab's pregnant finally. An' I stayed late tae have a drink wit' 'em tae celebrate...an' I'm comin' home an' I hear a scream an' find two guys in an alley wit' a woman...got 'er down on tha ground an' jes'...beatin' tha piss outta 'er..." He sniffed and cleared his throat. "God, I jes'...Kacey, what if I was too late? What if I didnae get tae 'er in time?"

"Oh my god..." she breathed. "Tiggy, we're coming, okay? Please, don't blame yourself. If you were earlier, you might have passed her before this happened, and then who would've been there for her? She still has a chance now, because of you. We'll just pray..." She swallowed thickly. "...that she'll be alright. Did you call Cicero to tell him? At which hospital are you?"

Alexa returned then, wearing her coat and shoes and carrying Kacey's things. She quietly helped Kacey push her swollen feet into the shoes, then set the coat and purse in her lap and hugged Kacey's knees, which was about all the lap space she had left. She still didn't know what was going on, but she trusted Kacey to tell her.

Kacey rested her paw on the girl's head, gently stroking her hair. This was going to be very, very difficult.

Tig gave her the hospital they were at. "Oh, bring me some clean clothes, too, aye? Jes' a shirt an' a pair of pants will work..." He sighed and sniffed, looking up when the nurse came up with the sandwich and drink. "I gottae go. Ye know how nurses get when ye disobey orders, aye?" he gave a soft laugh, trying very hard to get back to his old self. He didn't like the feeling that was gripping his chest, the feeling of losing Sinead all over again...it was bringing up other things like guilt because he was married and going to have a child, and confusion as to why it hurt so bad.

"Gráim thú." he said into the phone before hanging up. He turned to the nurse and gave her a smile, accepting the food and handing her back the change from the machine. "T'ank yeh....is Sinead doin' alright? I told her boyfriend that she's here. He's on his way...what do I tell 'im when he gets 'ere?"

"Love you too..." Kacey murmured, giving a kiss into the receiver before he hung up. She closed her eyes for a moment and took in a shuddering breath. "Alexa, Tiggy's at the hospital. He's okay, but he needs some clean clothes. But..." She pursed her lips, fighting tears. "He got hurt, saving Sinead from an attack. She's badly hurt, and she's in surgery..." She was trembling, and hugged the girl tightly as the tears finally spilled out. "He said...it looks really bad, sweety..."

Alexa's eyes went wide as she listened, and hugged Kacey tightly. "N-no...not Sinead..." she whimpered. "Is she...she ain' gonna die, is she?" she hoped desperately.

"I don't know...we, we'll go to the hospital and wait with Tiggy. He's already called Cicero. She'll need all our prayers and support, alright?" Kacey bravely wiped her tears and pushed herself up from the chair. "Run down and try to hail a cab, and I'll get Tig's clothes, alright?"

"She's still in surgery," the nurse told him gently. "If the doctor hasn't come out by the time her boyfriend arrives, just have him check in at the desk, and we'll keep you all updated to her status." She accepted the coins back, giving Tig a sympathetic look. "Please try to eat, Mr. O'Connor. It may be quite a while, depending on what they find..."

Tig sighed, pushing his hair back from his face. "A concussion an' some inernal bleedin' at tha very least...she was coughin' up blood...I told the people who came out tae me car..." He sighed and looked around a little. "T'ank yeh..." he said before getting up from the chair in front of the phone. He limped over to one of the other chairs slowly and sat down, slowly unwrapping his sandwich and starting to eat it, even as his stomach churned. He had loved Sinead so dearly. Why did it take her nearly getting killed for him to remember that? Their relationship hadn't just been her breaking his nose and leaving. There had been a wonderful year or so before that...

Cicero gathered up some things, then stood in the living room, looking around and running his fingers through his hair. "Cecelia! Come down here please!"

The girl slid out from around a corner, frowning. "Papa? What's wrong?"

"Ah, mein angel..." he walked over and knelt in front of her, rubbing her shoulders gently. "Sinead is in the hospital. Mr. O'Connor is there mit her but...but..."

Tears sprang to the little girl's eyes. "W-we have to go! We have to go see her right now!!"

"Ja. Ja. We are going now. Come. Get your coat."

She ran off, wiping tears from her eyes and bumping into a few things, not really paying attention to manuvering the home like she usually would. She got to her room and picked up her violin case. She packed her violin away before pulling shoes on and running downstairs. "I got my violin, papa!"

"Your coat, Ceceiia! I said your coat!" he said, standing by the door with her coat in one hand and his keys in the other.

"Ja, ja, ja!" she said, flopping her hand about to dismiss what her father had said. She ran up and held an arm out so he could help her put on her coat. "But I went to get my violin!"

Kacey and Alexa arrived about ten minutes later, and Alexa flung herself at Tig, sobbing. She desperately clambered into his lap, not caring about the dried blood on his clothes, and wrapped her arms tightly around his neck.

Kacey followed at as fast of a waddle as she could manage, lowering herself into the chair next to him. She turned his face to her and kissed him desperately. There were fresh tears on her cheeks, though they seemed to have stilled for the moment. "I brought your clothes..." she said helpfully, trying not to say anything that might make him more upset right now. "Where were you hurt, love?

Tig grunted when Alexa launched herself at him. He grit his teeth and let her move around until he was settled. He put his arms around her and sighed, closing his eyes. "Careful, lass, aye?" He grunted again as Kacey pulled him into a kiss. Dear god these girls didn't know to treat a guy gently!! "Ahh, love..." he pulled back, reaching a bandaged hand up to rub his nose. "Ow..." he sighed and put his chin down on Alexa's shoulder, going back to hugging her. It was always such a comfort to him. "Jes' about everywhere...so go gentle on me, aye? I'm outta practice...might start goin' back tae trainin'..." By which, he meant he might start going back to the underground fight club he used to frequent.

Cicero walked in swiftly, looking around. "Ah! Mr. O'Connor!" He hurried up, nearly dragging his daughter along but she was able to keep up pretty well. "Where is she? Is she alright?"

Cecelia's nose twitched. "Hi, Alexa." she said, shuffling her feet. She sniffed a little and wiped one side of her face on her father's sleeve. "Papa, I don't like how it smells here..."

He scooped his daughter up and held her tightly. The poor man was shaking, worried he was going to lose another woman he loved so dearly.

"She's nae outta surgery yet...come on an' sit wit' us. We're waitin'..."

"Oh, I'm sorry, Tiggy..." she frowned, her paws twitching until she settled on running her fingers through his hair and rubbing his ears gently. She wanted to fuss over him, but she didn't want to hurt him more. "Alexa, honey, let's let Tig change into some clean clothes, alright? You can come and sit with me..." she coaxed the young girl. Kacey didn't have much space on her lap at all, but she did the best she could for her girl. "Tig'll be right back."

Alexa allowed herself to be pried off, only because resisting would hurt Tig more. She rested her head on Kacey's belly and sniffled miserably.

Once Alexa was settled again, Kacey handed Tig his clothes with a meaningful look before looking up at Cicero. "Come and sit down, Cicero. It might be a long while before we know anything..."

Tig nodded and got himself up slowly. He walked off to change, taking his time. His shoes were the biggest problem, with his hands the way they were...

Cicero took a seat next to the woman. He rubbed his daughter's back gently, sighing. Tighearnan looked horrible, and if he was the least injured of the two of them...He sighed, looking around and watching the doors to the ER.

Cecelia's ears twitched about. She sighed and held her hand out towards where she smelled Alexa. "I brought my violin..."

Alexa held her paw, sniffling and coughing. "She'll like ta hear tha', when she comes out..."

Kacey agreed. "You were very thoughtful to bring it," she commented, before lapsing back into worried silence. She tried not to give into her own regrets and 'what-ifs'. They weren't her fault, and they weren't true. The ones at fault were the ones who'd hurt her friend. They should be brought to justice. She made a point to ask Tig about a police report or anything when he came back.

Alexa was also fighting not to ask the question she was fearing the answer to, especially with Cicero looking so sad and worried. He really loved Sinead, loved her enough to marry her. Maybe, when she was better he would...

"She's gonna be okay," she finally blurted out stubbornly. "I know she's gonna, cuz...jes' cuz!" She couldn't stand everybody looking so sad, like she'd already died!

Cicero looked over at Alexa and smiled softly. "Ja. You are right, Alexa." he said, bouncing his daughter in his lap gently, nervously. "Sinead is a very strong woman." He pat his daughter's side. "Play for us, mein angel. Something soft."

She slid down out of his lap and felt around until she found a table. She put her violin case down, ears twitching about as she pulled her violin out. She quickly tuned it then tucked it under her chin and started playing something soft but also happy, maybe hopeful even.

Tig limped back out, bloody clothes and his shoes in his arms. He put them down and sat back in his chair. He motioned for Alexa, letting her know that if she was careful, she could come back into his lap.

Alexa eased over carefully, much calmer now, and settled herself into his lap, draping her arms back around his neck and kissing his cheek. <She won't die, Tiggy,> she told him confidently in Gaelic. She patted his rosary under his shirt to remind him of it.

Kacey closed her eyes wearily, listening to the music and breathing deeply. The stress was not making the baby very happy, and she held her stomach as he kicked and pushed against the confined space.

It was another hour and a half until the nurse came out and asked them to come upstairs to the surgery waiting room, where the doctor would meet them and give them an update on Sinead.

Tig sighed and nodded. "Aye...tank yeh, Alexa." he said softly, kissing the top of her head. He just felt horrible. It was his fault somehow. She was in surgery because of him or, or he could have done more...and why was he so upset? It was Sinead. He was scared of losing her? Why? It was horrible and confusing and he just felt horrible.

He watched the girl play, and had to admit that the music helped. The girl was a prodigy, there was no doubt of that. When the nurse came out, he nodded and ushered his daughter out of his lap gently before standing.

Cicero walked over to pick up the violin case, knowing Cecelia would want to carry her violin now. He followed the nurse up to the room and looked at the doctor. "Is she alright?"

The doctor who met them was still in his surgical garb, splattered and smeared with blood. "She made it through surgery," he began encouragingly. "And, she's out of the danger zone in terms of whether she'll make it or not..." He hesitated then, rubbing the back of his head, wearily. "What we don't know, is if there's any brain damage. She has a very severe concussion, and we had to cut a small section of her skull, to give the brain some room to swell. The swelling's already starting to go down, and the skull will knit back together on its own. But, like I said, we don't know if the swelling's caused any damage. We won't know until she's awake and coherent.

"As for the rest of her injuries, she had a few cracked ribs, and we had to go in and stop some internal bleeding to the abdomen. She also has a cracked bone in her arm, and her collarbone. Other than that, she's got multiple bruises and cuts. In the light of what we've been told, she is actually quite fortunate, as there were signs that..." he paused to cough uncomfortably, "they tried to sexually assault her and choke her. She's lucky to be alive."

Nodding to the group, he stepped away to get cleaned up as the ward nurse stepped up to replace him. "We've got her settled in a room, so you can come and see her. She most likely won't wake up until tomorrow at the earliest. The doctor will be on shift for a few more hours in case you have any more questions," she explained gently. "It's a bit too small of a room for all of you to stay comfortably, but if a few of you will want to stay at a time, we can supply a rollaway bed or a couch for anyone who stays overnight."

Kacey nodded wearily, a bit dazed with sleep after having fallen asleep while they were all waiting.

Alexa had dozed off as well, and whined sleepily when Tig set her on her feet to follow the nurse. Once the doctor and nurse finished talking, she was more awake, though she was still tired. It was a bit late for her.

Tig had reached down to cover Alexa's ears as the doctor spoke of the injuries. He let her hear the hopeful parts, but everything else he thought was a little much for the young girl. Especially the sexual assault part...he just hoped his bandaged hands muffled enough of the sound...

Cicero had done the same, covering his daughter's ears through most of it. "Mein Gott." he shook his head and sighed, moving to stroke his daughter's hair gently once the unpleasantness was over. "My daughter and I vill be staying over night..." he looked over at the O'Connor family. "And our friends are most welcome to visit."

"Ma'am?" Cecelia asked, face turned towards the woman, pale blue eyes unfocused as always. "Will I be allowed to play for her? I will play quiet, I promise. But she loves hearing it...maybe it will help?"

Tig shifted a bit uneasily as their friends talked. He bent down, whispering to Alexa, asking her to stay and watch over Kacey for him while he went and spoke with the doctor. He kissed the top of her head, then followed the surgeon down the hall. "Excuse me. I was wonderin' if I could ask ye a bit more about Sinead..."

The nurse smiled at the girl and considered, checking her watch. "Well, quiet hours are from ten to six, so you'll be fine to play until then, alright love? I'm sure it won't hurt, and it might even help. Who knows?" She looked back up to Cicero. "We can put in one rollaway, and the chair in the room is a recliner. Would that be enough to accommodate you and your daughter?"

The doctor stopped and turned patiently. He was tired, but he understood how folks felt about loved ones coming out of surgery, especially one as serious as this. "Yes, sir? How can I help?"

Kacey felt weak. She pulled Alexa over to a waiting room chair and sank into it, hugging the girl tightly with very mixed feelings. Sinead was going to live, but would she be okay? She was so intelligent, and loving, and witty. Would she still be that same person? She'd heard stories of people who survived brain injury only to have completely changed personalities and unpredictable behaviour.

She nodded. "Yes, ma'am." She turned around. "Papa, what time is it?"

Cicero checked his watch. "It is ah...halb acht, mein angel."

She smiled. "Then I have an hour and a half." she said with a nod. She turned to Alexa, vaguely, and held out her hand. "Let's go make Sinead feel better."

Tig gave the man a tired smile of his own. "I know yer real tired an' all, but I was wonderin' if there might be more details ye wouldnae want tae say in front o' a pregnant woman an' a couple o' kids. Did they actually...get tae..." he made some vague hand motions. "Ye know...actually get that assault in?" Or was I too late? Did I let this happen? She was saving herself for-no. No, she had gone to a whore after so long of denying me...introduced the man to Alexa and everything. She just hadn't wanted me. That was all. I hadn't been good enough for her then, and I'm still not now, waiting so long to come home, not getting them off of her faster. He reached up to wipe a little bit of blood that had started trickling down his nose, noticing the feeling of that over the feeling of hot tears starting to run down his cheeks. He was nothing. He was nothing...

His hand slid down from his face to clutch at his rosary through his shirt. Most holy Apostle, St. Jude, faithful servant and friend of Jesus, the Church honors and invokes you universally, as the patron of difficult cases, of things almost despaired of, Pray for me, I am so helpless and alone.

"N-nevermind. I'm sorry tae bother yeh. Could ye point me in tha way o' tha chapel instead?"

The doctor stepped closer and put his paw on Tig's shoulder. "I can tell you, no. No they didn't. From the way you look, I might guess that you're the one who saved her from that. Don't blame yourself for things that may or may not have happened. We'll never know. Maybe it's because I'm a surgeon, but I find that worrying over things I can't control often stop me from doing the things I can control. You did what you could, and it saved her life. But, that's not the end of it. It's going to be a long recovery for her, and a difficult one. She's still going to need you. Do the things you can, and leave the rest to God." He told Tig the location of the chapel and squeezed his shoulder encouragingly before continuing off down the hall.

"One, one minute..." Alexa told her, still trapped in Kacey's hug. "Kacey, s'okay. Let's go see Sinead, yeah? There's a chair in there you cin siddown in if you gotta..." She nuzzled Kacey and rubbed her paws along the woman's upper arms to comfort her.

Kacey hiccuped, trying to choke back the tears, but nodded and slowly released the girl from her grip, allowing her to go over to take Cecilia's paw. She looked down the hall at Tig talking to the doctor, then up at Cicero. "Would you mind, giving me a hand up? I don't quite trust my legs at the moment..." she requested shakily.

The nurse came over and also helped her to her feet. Once they were all ready, she led them to Sinead's room.

Tig nodded to the doctor and just sighed. He turned to look back down the hall. He limped up to Kacey, putting a hand on her elbow gently. "Would ye be alright if I went down tae the chapel? I donnae t'ink I can see 'er right now." he said softly, whispering to his wife.

Cicero ushered the girls after the nurse, burying himself in his own thoughts. Brain damage? Brain damage couldn't be fixed. Or really much understood. He couldn't imagine having to care for her if she was unable to care for herself. Cecelia needed her just as badly as he did himself. This was just....horrible...he prayed she would be alright...

"You know Sinead's favorite song, right?" Cecelia asked her friend. "The slow one, not the one she likes dancing to. I can't say the name, because it's Gaelic, but um...I'm pretty sure you know her favorite song." She smiled, holding Alexa's hand as they walked, letting the girl lead her. "I wanna play it for her. Can you sing it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.