Pokémon RP, Anyone? (Two Plots/Scenarios, See Inside for Details!)

Which RP Interests You More?

• Pokémon: Echoes of Oblivion

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Pokémon: Go Adventure

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Why Not a Mixture of the Two?

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I've Got a Different Idea to Throw Your Way!

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I am going to go out on a limb here but you could do both and just have Co-GM's help you manage each. Seeing as you were wanting no more than 5 for the Echoes Of Oblivion pitch and it has 7 votes not everyone will get to participate in it. I am the 4th vote for the Go Adventure pitch which is pretty small since you want up to 11 additional players. Then 1 person voted for a mix. If the two were mixed here are my thoughts on it.

The heavy plot for Echoes can center around a team of characters while the Go aspect can be centered around trainers adventures who can come in contact with the team. I can understand wanting to keep the two separate since one is plot driven and the other is player driven but the two are possible to combine. The plot of Echoes could influence the events of the Go idea and character interaction between the Go trainers with the Echoes team could influence the plot. Example the interaction between the two would still be good practice for the trainers to develop and get stronger. Go characters could still venture to any region but could stumble into the Garru region. Which could in turn cause events for either Echoes or Go players.

I hoped I helped and if you need a Co-GM I have been a GM and Co-GM for roleplays in the past and my experience with roleplaying is close to 10 years now. Have a wonderful day/night.

I am going to go out on a limb here but you could do both and just have Co-GM's help you manage each. Seeing as you were wanting no more than 5 for the Echoes Of Oblivion pitch and it has 7 votes not everyone will get to participate in it. I am the 4th vote for the Go Adventure pitch which is pretty small since you want up to 11 additional players. Then 1 person voted for a mix. If the two were mixed here are my thoughts on it.

The heavy plot for Echoes can center around a team of characters while the Go aspect can be centered around trainers adventures who can come in contact with the team. I can understand wanting to keep the two separate since one is plot driven and the other is player driven but the two are possible to combine. The plot of Echoes could influence the events of the Go idea and character interaction between the Go trainers with the Echoes team could influence the plot. Example the interaction between the two would still be good practice for the trainers to develop and get stronger. Go characters could still venture to any region but could stumble into the Garru region. Which could in turn cause events for either Echoes or Go players.

I hoped I helped and if you need a Co-GM I have been a GM and Co-GM for roleplays in the past and my experience with roleplaying is close to 10 years now. Have a wonderful day/night.

I was thinking about something like this originally, with Go Adventure being the main RP and Echoes being one of the events occurring in the 'Event' thread. However, since I didn't have a Co-GM at the time, nor did I really know if I could handle a story as large as that at the time while also managing a free-play, I decided to separate the two.

Also, part of the problem I'd see with having both plots in one thread would be the worrisome idea that if some chose to have their trainers just wandering around/adventuring (Go Adventure-style), those posts might get mixed up with the core story-centered posts (Echoes of Oblivion) and it would get extremely difficult to manage who was where and what was going to happen to them (since as GM, I'd have to control moments with the story while also managing the freeplay crowd).

However, given the fact that there has definitely been more of a VOCAL (post) demand for Go Adventure, while Echoes of Oblivion has been gaining traction with the VOTES (the system I originally wanted to help define what RP we would go ahead with), we're at a bit of an impasse at the moment since I wouldn't want one group to feel like they've been cheated out of a possible new RP.

Also, to quickly comment about the numbers thing in the thread;

I didn't mean 5 players for Echoes and 11 for Go Adventure were the 'set number', they were just examples of a decently-sized player base for both ideas respectively. If Echoes had, say, 20 players wanting in, that would quickly become unmanageable unless I had at least 2 other Co-GMs helping to keep track of everything (especially if people started making multiple characters, as some have already reported wanting to do for Go Adventure).

As it stands, since there's enough of an outcry for both, I could see the possibility of launching both RPs under one title (to keep the usage of one OoC and one Character Roster, but keeping the IC threads separate so that all characters have the possibility of crossing over to one RP over the other).

Let me know what you all think of the idea.

@Jessica Stansell, @Navuso, @timv999, @Casuna, @Winter Wolf, @mango, @Sushi, @Eon, @Celestial Scorpio, and everyone who voted and possibly hasn't posted yet.

I like the idea of having a joint roster, and separate ic threads.

I was thinking about something like this originally, with Go Adventure being the main RP and Echoes being one of the events occurring in the 'Event' thread. However, since I didn't have a Co-GM at the time, nor did I really know if I could handle a story as large as that at the time while also managing a free-play, I decided to separate the two.

Also, part of the problem I'd see with having both plots in one thread would be the worrisome idea that if some chose to have their trainers just wandering around/adventuring (Go Adventure-style), those posts might get mixed up with the core story-centered posts (Echoes of Oblivion) and it would get extremely difficult to manage who was where and what was going to happen to them (since as GM, I'd have to control moments with the story while also managing the freeplay crowd).

However, given the fact that there has definitely been more of a VOCAL (post) demand for Go Adventure, while Echoes of Oblivion has been gaining traction with the VOTES (the system I originally wanted to help define what RP we would go ahead with), we're at a bit of an impasse at the moment since I wouldn't want one group to feel like they've been cheated out of a possible new RP.

Also, to quickly comment about the numbers thing in the thread;

I didn't mean 5 players for Echoes and 11 for Go Adventure were the 'set number', they were just examples of a decently-sized player base for both ideas respectively. If Echoes had, say, 20 players wanting in, that would quickly become unmanageable unless I had at least 2 other Co-GMs helping to keep track of everything (especially if people started making multiple characters, as some have already reported wanting to do for Go Adventure).

As it stands, since there's enough of an outcry for both, I could see the possibility of launching both RPs under one title (to keep the usage of one OoC and one Character Roster, but keeping the IC threads separate so that all characters have the possibility of crossing over to one RP over the other).

Let me know what you all think of the idea.

@Jessica Stansell, @Navuso, @timv999, @Casuna, @Winter Wolf, @mango, @Sushi, @Eon, @Celestial Scorpio, and everyone who voted and possibly hasn't posted yet.

Well one way to fix any confusion in the IC would be to have someone state their location and which of the two plots they are a part of at the top of their post. Even the current event going on with their character. Sort of a posting format to keep things tidy in the roleplay. I am a part of a Naruto styled roleplay and in the post at the top you state the characters name and team, location, and most state the current event they are a part of. So it helps know who is where and what is going on with said character and who would also be involved with the character. It is just a thought and I figured it could help you think of a way to work out having bother. Though separate IC's could work, I think just having people jump in and out would just be as confusing. Especially if just for one event. If you would like an example of what I mean with the posting format I can link the IC of my Naruto roleplay so you can browse how we post to keep things clean and organized.

As for the numbers I know that was just a generalized number for what you could handle or expect for either roleplay but if we do combine the two I definitely would recommend at least one Co-GM and if you do separate IC's then one Co-GM for both. It helps keep pressure off of you and there could be someone else to answer questions or to help push the plot or events forward if you're not around. It is much easier to discuss how to move forward with a Co-GM than to ask the whole group and get many different answers and not a clear path. It is fine to ask and get feedback from the group but discussion should be done with as few people so that it is better written in stone and executable. This all is just my personal opinion though so do what you think is best.

Well one way to fix any confusion in the IC would be to have someone state their location and which of the two plots they are a part of at the top of their post. Even the current event going on with their character. Sort of a posting format to keep things tidy in the roleplay. I am a part of a Naruto styled roleplay and in the post at the top you state the characters name and team, location, and most state the current event they are a part of. So it helps know who is where and what is going on with said character and who would also be involved with the character. It is just a thought and I figured it could help you think of a way to work out having bother. Though separate IC's could work, I think just having people jump in and out would just be as confusing. Especially if just for one event. If you would like an example of what I mean with the posting format I can link the IC of my Naruto roleplay so you can browse how we post to keep things clean and organized.

As for the numbers I know that was just a generalized number for what you could handle or expect for either roleplay but if we do combine the two I definitely would recommend at least one Co-GM and if you do separate IC's then one Co-GM for both. It helps keep pressure off of you and there could be someone else to answer questions or to help push the plot or events forward if you're not around. It is much easier to discuss how to move forward with a Co-GM than to ask the whole group and get many different answers and not a clear path. It is fine to ask and get feedback from the group but discussion should be done with as few people so that it is better written in stone and executable. This all is just my personal opinion though so do what you think is best.

Huh, that's also a fair point. I did a thread like that a while ago that had a similar function (addressing the time/location of a player at the top of each post), so that could work. Only problem would be making sure everyone abides by those rules so there isn't mass-confusion.

No matter what I always required a Co-GM, so you've got me there. Since you expressed interest in the idea, I'll shoot you a PM to see what we can do to discuss/further flesh out a means of approaching the RP(s), but that doesn't mean we won't be listening to everyone who posts here as well. It's just an easier venue to discuss stuff while also keeping the thread 'spoiler free'.

• Love
Reactions: NinjaCat07
Huh, that's also a fair point. I did a thread like that a while ago that had a similar function (addressing the time/location of a player at the top of each post), so that could work. Only problem would be making sure everyone abides by those rules so there isn't mass-confusion.

No matter what I always required a Co-GM, so you've got me there. Since you expressed interest in the idea, I'll shoot you a PM to see what we can do to discuss/further flesh out a means of approaching the RP(s), but that doesn't mean we won't be listening to everyone who posts here as well. It's just an easier venue to discuss stuff while also keeping the thread 'spoiler free'.

Well it could be easy just to save a format for the players to copy. Like they just copy, paste and fill in the information and go on about their post. Or if people don't follow the rule a Co-GM or you could add in a summary post every so often stating the location, time and event associated with each character. It would be more work for you or a Co-GM but it is the easier option than making sure everyone posts the information at the top of their post. Or still just do that even if people put the information down in their post. Helping anyone have a quick summary if there are a lot of posts in the IC and they don't have the time to read several pages of posts. Just an idea though.

Sure thing I usually am able to reply to PM's quickly and like helping others out. I know how much it can make a difference if you have someone else to discuss the path of the roleplay with. My last group roleplay I was GM for I had one Co-GM who helped out quite a lot. Then again it was slow and very few people so I am sure if it was on a larger scale more Co-GMs would have been needed.

• Love

Iden Phantom

The Male Delta Zorua
dark_by_spiritburn-daxor2t.png
fighting_by_spiritburn-daxor2i.png

Moveset:
normal_by_spiritburn-daxor1p.png
Scratch
dark_by_spiritburn-daxor2t.png
Feint Attack
normal_by_spiritburn-daxor1p.png
Roar (Tm 05)
ice_by_spiritburn-daxor1w.png
Hidden Power (Ice)

Post Status:
Held Item: None
Current Illusion:
Current Location:
Interactions: Character - Username/Nickname (Tag)
Mentions:
The Trickster
I am posting this template here, since this is the one I'd like to use for one of my characters. It includes some post information at the top of the style, and I'll be doing something similar for the trainer character that I have. (The layout will be a little different, since I want to have those on the side and... It'll just be different, but the information will be there)

If I'll need to edit the information included for the post (Time of day or anything else) to make it easier when we do IC posts, I'll be more than happy to do so.

I just wanted to post this so that there's a general idea for what I'm doing for my characters.
The information that I'm providing is actually using a template from a different group RP that I'm in. (Well information template, since there's no actual template, but yeah...)

It's just an idea for how information can be laid out (the parts above) even without a fancy and rather large template, lol.

Reactions: Celestial Scorpio
I think that template is a good example as to what I mean, just not sure if players would want to make one so in-depth but it can always be made once, saved and the information can be added to the open spots that would be changed. Thank you for posting an example because I am busy with Thanksgiving and on my phone. I would prefer people to see a visual representation of what I am talking about so it's easier to understand. Much appreciated.

I think it's a good idea, but also could get messy. If you think you can handle though, I mean, go for it! I'll be available to help in whatever way I can.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Navuso
I find the Echoes Of Oblivion very interesting, I've always wanted Pokemon to be able to have a more serious tone. But it's a kids game so what can I really expect, eh? While I like more serious rps, I don't think my writing skills would be up to par for it. I'd be willing to join any of the options discussed.

The character concept that I have may work for any of the settings suggested. Or be tweaked or scrapped, as needed. I would like to run it by you first, @mr_pibbs, if I end up participating.

Both plots sounds super cool! I think the most expressive could be Pokemon GO Adventure. In any event, I'd like to play a Steel-Type Gym Leader / Elite Four member in either if this gets off the ground.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Hey, if I'm not too late I think both your ideas sound cool, and would be interested in joining whatever you end up doing. I might also be able to help co-GM if you are in need of more help. That's all I can think to say for now.

• Thank You
I know I'm late, so ignore me if your capacity is filled already.

Depending on what your posting expectations are, I'd definitely be interested in the first pitch. (I'm more of a several paragraphs writer, but I can deal with shorter. I just don't wanna say "Hey, I wanna join!" if it ends up being mostly one- and two-liners.)

That being said I generally like the sort of "I'll carve my adventure" tone of the normal Pokemon games, so honestly I'd prefer a mix of both. It'd be cool if we had the serious setting, with the Ultrabeast effect plot as the overarching story, but still get the chance to do contests, adventuring, and gym challenges IMO. But if I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with #1 for sure. I don't find the separate threads but joined-universe all that appealing, 'cause I'm not really feeling having characters from a vastly different tone jump over. Like, a character from one plot-line would likely not feel cohesive with the tone of the other.

I think it's a good idea, but also could get messy. If you think you can handle though, I mean, go for it! I'll be available to help in whatever way I can.

I think it should be fine, but I'll definitely keep that in mind while drafting up the OoC!

I find the Echoes Of Oblivion very interesting, I've always wanted Pokemon to be able to have a more serious tone. But it's a kids game so what can I really expect, eh? While I like more serious rps, I don't think my writing skills would be up to par for it. I'd be willing to join any of the options discussed.

The character concept that I have may work for any of the settings suggested. Or be tweaked or scrapped, as needed. I would like to run it by you first, @mr_pibbs, if I end up participating.

Sure, send it my way if you'd like! And the idea does involve a more serious tone, but it wouldn't be 100% 'grim dark' serious, you know?

Hey, if I'm not too late I think both your ideas sound cool, and would be interested in joining whatever you end up doing. I might also be able to help co-GM if you are in need of more help. That's all I can think to say for now.

I'll keep you in mind for a third Co-GM position once I start hunkering down on the OoC!

Both plots sounds super cool! I think the most expressive could be Pokemon GO Adventure. In any event, I'd like to play a Steel-Type Gym Leader / Elite Four member in either if this gets off the ground.

Sure thing!

I know I'm late, so ignore me if your capacity is filled already.

Depending on what your posting expectations are, I'd definitely be interested in the first pitch. (I'm more of a several paragraphs writer, but I can deal with shorter. I just don't wanna say "Hey, I wanna join!" if it ends up being mostly one- and two-liners.)

That being said I generally like the sort of "I'll carve my adventure" tone of the normal Pokemon games, so honestly I'd prefer a mix of both. It'd be cool if we had the serious setting, with the Ultrabeast effect plot as the overarching story, but still get the chance to do contests, adventuring, and gym challenges IMO. But if I had to pick one over the other, I'd go with #1 for sure. I don't find the separate threads but joined-universe all that appealing, 'cause I'm not really feeling having characters from a vastly different tone jump over. Like, a character from one plot-line would likely not feel cohesive with the tone of the other.

My posting expectations are pretty lenient, like once or twice a week if you can manage at the bare minimum (every day is great, but I know not many people, myself included, have that luxury all the time). I also typically ask for two paragraphs per post and to wait at least two additional posts before going again (ex. your post, person 1 posts, person 2 posts, your post) so we don't wind up getting spammed with like, 8 replies between two people all at once. But like I said, it's pretty lenient.

I can see how that would become an issue, there's definitely a distinct difference between the tone of both plots. As I said, I'm still mulling about how we can run with this, so I haven't decided exactly if we're going to combine both plots or just pick one, but it'll definitely get sorted out soon, hopefully.

And you're good, I'll have to go through the thread again to see if everyone's still on-board, then collect a vote from everyone again to figure out which plot they were originally on for to help categorize the interest (since we've had issues with the voting system before, I want everyone to verbalize what they want rather than vote in the poll, since it seemed like it was a bit unrepresentative at one point).

I'd definitely like to join either plot when/if they get off the ground, but since everyone is offering suggestions, I'll throw my 2 cents in.

What if there are two separate IC threads, but they are both placed in the same world? Occasionally events from one will impact the other, and characters can cameos in the other thread. This will obviously require more work in terms of keeping the timelines similar, but I think it would make it easier for the players to keep in mind which thread is which, especially in terms of tone (serious vs. lighthearted) and content.

What if there are two separate IC threads, but they are both placed in the same world? Occasionally events from one will impact the other, and characters can cameos in the other thread. This will obviously require more work in terms of keeping the timelines similar, but I think it would make it easier for the players to keep in mind which thread is which, especially in terms of tone (serious vs. lighthearted) and content.

That's exactly what the gm was asking/offering in one of the recent posts, lol.

It seems to be the best way to handle this if there are enough people and the co-gms are still game to help with it.

Honestly, I'm hoping to use Iden in a rp, lol.

That's exactly what the gm was asking/offering in one of the recent posts, lol.

It seems to be the best way to handle this if there are enough people and the co-gms are still game to help with it.

Honestly, I'm hoping to use Iden in a rp, lol.
I thought I had read through everything, but maybe I was mistaken. Or maybe I just misunderstood what was said. Sorry! I honestly thought no one else had suggested it.

The original suggestion from the GM was two separate IC threads and from there some liked the idea and other's felt a joint IC would be better. Ultimately it is up to the GM and whether they want there to be two IC threads or one. Though it never hurts to suggest something even if you missed someone else saying it. So don't sweat it. I actually appreciate that you took the time to even suggest anything because it shows other's how interested and invested you will be in the roleplay.